PDA

View Full Version : Money Expanding a small business

lcarus
08-07-2012, 10:25 AM
I know absolutely nothing about expanding a small business. How much profit do you need to rake in before you can even think about opening up a second store? As some of you know, I work at a trophy and awards store in Tulsa. We're the biggest in Tulsa, and the 2nd biggest in Oklahoma. There is a place in OKC that is one of the biggest awards stores in the country. As far as I know, there isn't a "chain" of trophy stores nationwide. Seems like there's an opportunity there. Is there a chain of trophy/plaque/awards stores in the USA? I'm kind of embarrassed to not know, but I haven't heard of one.

Ming the Merciless
08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I know absolutely nothing about expanding a small business. How much profit do you need to rake in before you can even think about opening up a second store? As some of you know, I work at a trophy and awards store in Tulsa. We're the biggest in Tulsa, and the 2nd biggest in Oklahoma. There is a place in OKC that is one of the biggest awards stores in the country. As far as I know, there isn't a "chain" of trophy stores nationwide. Seems like there's an opportunity there. Is there a chain of trophy/plaque/awards stores in the USA? I'm kind of embarrassed to not know, but I haven't heard of one.

I believe there is , there is one in the mall near my house...let me try and look the name up.

edit: I might be thinking of Things Remembered, which doesnt seem to have trophies...I am actually not sure now...

Stewie
08-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Crown Trophy used to be a national chain. Not sure now.

El Jefe

A sizeable amount. How do your P&L's look? Do you have an ability to not take a check until the business becomes full functioning? The issue with new startups is that the owners dump everything they have into just opening the doors, and until they start getting business they just keep going into debt or close. Do you have a funding request draft?

Saul Good

Profit at the first store matters less than having someone you can really count on to run the second store. As a small business owner, you put your heart into running your single location. When you have multiple locations, the one you spend your time at is going to perform better than the rest unless you really have a gem working at the other location and come up with a blueprint for how to run the place.

Would you leave your current shop to run the new location?

El Jefe
08-07-2012, 10:34 AM
I must say, in this economic climate you better have a good financial funding plan in place, because it's brutal out there.

Fish
08-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Perhaps there's a reason for that...

bevischief
08-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Get a web site.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Perhaps there's a reason for that...

Perhaps you're right. I just figure, with so many odd chain stores in this country, there might be room for a trophy and awards chain. I mean, people everywhere have schools, businesses, churches, little league, etc.

jbwm89
08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
I would look into expanding your current market, geographically or by increasing your product offering before I opened another location. Of course I am saying this without knowing hardly anything about your situation.

loochy
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM

I thought you were going to quit because you don't get paid enough.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Profit at the first store matters less than having someone you can really count on to run the second store. As a small business owner, you put your heart into running your single location. When you have multiple locations, the one you spend your time at is going to perform better than the rest unless you really have a gem working at the other location and come up with a blueprint for how to run the place.

Would you leave your current shop to run the new location?

I could run a second store. My dad runs this one. He doesn't know how to run any of the machines or anything. He just manages the people and orders product we need. Occasionally deals with our bigger clients. I on the other hand, can order product when needed, deal with clients, run all the machines, build all the product, and am pretty good with people.

Could I survive a certain period without taking a paycheck? No. We haven't looked to expand, we have no plans in place for anything like that. I'm just asking about it. I think there's a lot of opportunity out there. We have a pretty good amount of business here rolling in throughout the year, and we're getting new clients all the time.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 10:45 AM
I thought you were going to quit because you don't get paid enough.

Yeah, well...yeah. I feel I don't make enough at my current position, but that's why I'm just dreaming about opening a second store and running it. I doubt it will ever happen, but god it would be nice.

El Jefe
08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
I could run a second store. My dad runs this one. He doesn't know how to run any of the machines or anything. He just manages the people and orders product we need. Occasionally deals with our bigger clients. I on the other hand, can order product when needed, deal with clients, run all the machines, build all the product, and am pretty good with people.

Could I survive a certain period without taking a paycheck? No. We haven't looked to expand, we have no plans in place for anything like that. I'm just asking about it. I think there's a lot of opportunity out there. We have a pretty good amount of business here rolling in throughout the year, and we're getting new clients all the time.

I understand where you're coming from, but you have to remember the first rule of business, it takes money to make money. I myself have entertained the idea of pursuing a route such as your, obviously a different field, but it's very risky.

El Jefe
08-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, well...yeah. I feel I don't make enough at my current position, but that's why I'm just dreaming about opening a second store and running it. I doubt it will ever happen, but god it would be nice.

Don't stop dreaming (cue Journey), but have a solid basis for your plans. It may take a few years, but make a plan and work on it.

Sofa King
08-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm stealing this idea.

I just funded 20 "Hulk Trophies" stores in your area and across the nation.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm stealing this idea.

I just funded 20 "Hulk Trophies" stores in your area and across the nation.

Well if you want someone with experience to help run things or whatever, give me a ring. :thumb:

Saul Good
08-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Would you have to buy all new equipment, or could you use the same engraving tools and whatever else you use?

lcarus
08-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Would you have to buy all new equipment, or could you use the same engraving tools and whatever else you use?

We would probably need one laser engraver, one average PC. We already have extra heat presses and an extra rotary engraver. Laser engravers aren't cheap by any means, but really if you have one of those, the laserable/sublimation sheet metal, plaque boards, trophy columns, bases, trophy figures - I'd be in business. The materials are all really cheap. If I had a laser engraver with an exhaust fan, I could start a business just engraving things.

Saul Good
08-07-2012, 11:19 AM
We would probably need one laser engraver, one average PC. We already have extra heat presses and an extra rotary engraver. Laser engravers aren't cheap by any means, but really if you have one of those, the laserable/sublimation sheet metal, plaque boards, trophy columns, bases, trophy figures - I'd be in business. The materials are all really cheap. If I had a laser engraver with an exhaust fan, I could start a business just engraving things.

Why wouldn't you be able to use the engraver from the other location?

lcarus
08-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Why wouldn't you be able to use the engraver from the other location?

We have 2 good laser engravers at our current location. This place has to have 2 though. A new place starting up, I could get away with using just 1 for a while. So I would need a new one, or the current place could get a new one and give me the old one.

Rain Man
08-07-2012, 11:30 AM
The profit at the first store doesn't matter. The question is whether you can make a profit at the second store.

The first store can give you insights into that, of course.

Sofa King
08-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Well if you want someone with experience to help run things or whatever, give me a ring. :thumb:

I don't pay well and I'm an asshole. Also, i don't work hard.

You're hired.

topher79
08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
If you can't or aren't taking orders online right now then you're already behind. Focus on that infrastructure if you have the capital.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 12:15 PM
If you can't or aren't taking orders online right now then you're already behind. Focus on that infrastructure if you have the capital.

We are taking orders online. I think our website sucks ass though. It could definitely be restructured to make it easier and more appealing for a potential customer.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Here is our website. Not trying to sell anything at all, just showing how crappy the site is. I'm sure there's worse out there, but ours needs to be updated for sure.

http://onlineawardstore.com/applications/trophynplaqweb_default/store/index.asp

mikeyis4dcats.
08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
I bet your dad's girlfriend would make a good store manager for the new location.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I bet your dad's girlfriend would make a good store manager for the new location.

i'm gonna take the high road on this one. o:-)

mikeyis4dcats.
08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
i'm gonna take the high road on this one. o:-)

LOL, I'm just poking you....I know you're struggling, but you've got to stand up for yourself man.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 12:25 PM
LOL, I'm just poking you....I know you're struggling, but you've got to stand up for yourself man.

Well there isn't any room for me to go up at this spot. I am getting a raise soon. So that's good.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Expand your web presence.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Expand your web presence.

Definitely. At this point I'm just gonna try everything I can to improve the business, help it be more successful. If it doesn't work out, I'm gonna put my resume out there and move on. I figure I owe the place one last ditch effort. If I show real interest and motivation to help the place become more successful, and my dad doesn't take me serious, I'm gone.

ghak99
08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Here is our website. Not trying to sell anything at all, just showing how crappy the site is. I'm sure there's worse out there, but ours needs to be updated for sure.

http://onlineawardstore.com/applications/trophynplaqweb_default/store/index.asp

The website might function, but that home page is horrible.

lcarus
08-07-2012, 01:32 PM
The website might function, but that home page is horrible.

God tell me about it. You should have seen the one we had before it. Just awful. Having a good looking, well-functioning website is kind of vital in this day and age wouldn't you say? I've tried to tell them, but they don't listen to me.