PDA

View Full Version : Misc Have you ever sold Kirby vacuum cleaners...

Kylo Ren
08-07-2012, 08:00 PM
....or know anyone who has?

My wife and I are friends with a very naive 20 year old girl. She's looking for work. Kirby hired her on the spot to sell vacuums door to door. They say they'll pay her $3200 a month wether she sells anything or not.

We know this is a big scam. But we want to gather some facts before we drop the bad news on her. She's really excited. She thinks she'll have to just knock on a few doors and she'll get paid for doing almost nothing.

Bwana
08-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Heh :popcorn:

KCUnited
08-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Address pm'd.

Deberg_1990
08-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Yes, great job with great bennies! Lots of room for career advancement! She will pulling in well over 100k by year 2.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-07-2012, 08:12 PM
It's legit , Kirby pays big bucks whether you sell anything or not. My nephew did it for 5 years and now he owns a Mansion and drives a porsche. He thinks he'll be able to retire next year and he states he's only sold 3 vacuums.

Kylo Ren
08-07-2012, 08:16 PM
It's legit , Kirby pays big bucks whether you sell anything or not. My nephew did it for 5 years and now he owns a Mansion and drives a porsche. He thinks he'll be able to retire next year and he states he's only sold 3 vacuums. Exactly. ( I get your sarcasm ) But, it'll be difficult to convince her of the scam. Maybe she'll just have to learn the hard way.

Discuss Thrower
08-07-2012, 08:17 PM
They have a great corporate structure and they give you the tools you need to be your own boss.

KCFalcon59
08-07-2012, 08:17 PM
That job has to suck!

Scorp
08-07-2012, 08:18 PM
This girl is gonna wind up in a hole in someones basement!

"It puts the lotion on its skin..............It does what its told!"

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-07-2012, 08:19 PM
You might post some pics of the girl, I can usually tell by looking at her chest if she'll be an effective sales person. You say she's 20 eh !

siberian khatru
08-07-2012, 08:19 PM
The worst experience I ever had with a salesman was with a Kirby vacuum guy (and I blame my wife for that).

Go online and read all the horror stories not just of customers (or rather, would-be customers), but also the sales people.

KcMizzou
08-07-2012, 08:21 PM
That job has to suck!Being homeless/pan handling > telemarketing > trying to sell shit door to door

Fish
08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Ohh she'll be selling vacuums alright... Allllllll day... yeah.. and by "Vacuums" I mean sex with strangers....

CoMoChief
08-07-2012, 08:30 PM
My friend fell for one of those pyramid scheme business projects LMAO

08-07-2012, 08:33 PM
That job has to suck!

Haven't you heard? They don't use suck anymore. It's airflow now.

Bump
08-07-2012, 08:44 PM
she doesn't have to sell shit, she just has to get other people to sell vacuums and then the big bucks start to roll in.

Papi
08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I had never heard of these A-holes until they came to the door a few months ago. The head dude comes to the door and claims he's with a new carpet cleaning service and they're willing to do a room for free to get the name out. He's driving a van that was marked some cleaning service (not Kirby). I'm thinking it sounds too good to be true but the gf and I had been planning on getting the living room carpet cleaned so I said sure. Guy says he has a cleaner nearby and he'll send him over. About 10 minutes later they show up and unload this vacuum cleaner presentation on my living room floor and I'm thinking F**k. Head dude leaves while the grunt proceeds to do a bunch of "look how awesome this vacuum is" examples for about 2 hours. Jesus. He does clean the living room carpet though. Guy finishes up and head honcho comes back to land the deal. About 10 minutes of convincing him I wasn't going to buy it and they finally left. I was polite but pretty pissed the whole time that they got into my house under false pretenses. Probably not worth the wasted 2 hours of life for the free cleaning. I think the starting price was $3000 haha. Dude came down to $800 or $900 before giving up.

Oh and when the gf realized who they were she laughed at me for letting them in. Evidently I'm the only poor sob that had never heard of them.

WV
08-07-2012, 09:17 PM
It's legit , Kirby pays big bucks whether you sell anything or not. My nephew did it for 5 years and now he owns a Mansion and drives a porsche. He thinks he'll be able to retire next year and he states he's only sold 3 vacuums.

Then he fucked up and ran over that cops foot.

Rasputin
08-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Exactly. ( I get your sarcasm ) But, it'll be difficult to convince her of the scam. Maybe she'll just have to learn the hard way.

Am pretty sure the employee has to buy the kirby vaccume after they get to sell there first one. They are ut most responsible for the unit any parts missing and the company will cut off a finger for payment.

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-07-2012, 09:25 PM
My wife bought one years ago for about $1200. She's too nice and couldn't say no. I remember her calling me at work to tell me. I'm still bitter to this day. Back then the nicest car we owned was probably only worth three or four grand. $1200 for a vacuum that wasn't used often enough = stress. I'm sure I'll be over it within a few more decades... or I'll die... not sure which will happen first.

To the OP, it is a scam. she will not get paid like that. However, I wouldn't try to talk her out of it. I would just explain what you've heard so she can be aware of it and keep her eyes open. Let her make her own decision.

RealSNR
08-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm the CEO of Kirby vacuums. You talking shit about my company?

I just reported you.

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-07-2012, 09:39 PM

I just reported you.

With all due respect, Sir, your company sucks.

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Oh, and I just remembered how my wife was so damned impressed with some stupid light bulb changer extension it came with. A light bulb changer! I explained how much cheaper a step stool was, especially since we already owned one!!!!!!!!!

sd4chiefs
08-07-2012, 09:48 PM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/in_home/kirby.htm

:doh!:

Jerm
08-07-2012, 09:53 PM
My only experience with Kirby sellers was me having to literally walk to my bedroom and retrieve my pistol to get them to leave.

KChiefer
08-07-2012, 09:58 PM
My bud almost got sucked into AmWay. He told me about it, and I said, "That sounds like a pyramid scheme." He didn't think so, but after he tried to get his gf on-board I never heard about it again. Good on her.

ghak99
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
I had a roommate in college let one of these clowns in the apartment one time. They had worked her over for at least an hour before a friend and I showed up. They didn't look to be leaving without a sale as it was by far the highest pressured sales tactics I had ever seen. It finally came down to us telling them to gtfo as she had said she wasn't interested about a hundred times and was getting close to tears.

In58men
08-07-2012, 11:54 PM

I just reported you.

I'm actually under the CEO (no homo) and we are very professional at what we do.

Our vaccums are very similar to your moms, you're loud and get laid in the closets

TimeForWasp
08-08-2012, 12:43 AM
I wonder how many people named Kirby sold Kirby vacuums by saying they owned the company?

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-08-2012, 01:19 AM
For 3k that thing better cook, clean and give BJ's on your birthday

BossChief
08-08-2012, 01:46 AM
They will sucker her into selling one to her grandma and grandpa first and then move on to other relatives before firing her.

I got one of the Kirby guys all pissed off because I called him for a demo three times.

It's a free carpet cleaning!

Phobia
08-08-2012, 01:51 AM
For 3k that thing better cook, clean and give BJ's on your birthday

It's not $3k. It's about $750 if you know how to negotiate and even that is about $400 too high.

InChiefsHeaven
08-08-2012, 05:31 AM
About 15 years ago, my wife and I got suckered into buying a similar deal. We were in our early 20's and my wife was running a daycare. The guy explained how we get a trip to the Bahamas etc. if he can come over to show us the "cleaning system". It's not a vaccuum cleaner, you see. I can't even remember the name of it, but I was working on my third bourbon and coke by the time he got there. Showed us all kinds of impressive shit that it could do, blah blah. Long and short of it, we bought the damn thing for like 1700.00. My car at the time might have been worth a grand.

As to selling Kirby's, my sister did that right out of high school. Never sold one. I've actually known quite a few ladies that get "sucked" into this, and it never pays off for them. Of course, they usually have to find out for themselves.

blaise
08-08-2012, 06:02 AM
This is what I would tell her- there's no way they'll pay you $3200 a month regardless of what you sell. If she's got enough confidence and motivation to sell something door-to-door she's got enough to get a sales job that isn't a scam. Tell her to go get a job selling mattresses or furniture or electronics or something. Something with an actual company with a store.

ElGringo
08-08-2012, 06:06 AM
I actually sold Kirby's for a while back when I was young and dumb. It is true, they will pay you a flat salary, for a while....a "training period". I had to go on 3 test demo's to friends and family members where they pushed hard for me to sell to these friends and family members. The markup on these things is, or at least was, outrageous. If she sells a couple a week, she would make more than the flat salary offered. She will make 1 sell eventually, start to see dollar signs and want to go off the flat rate and start making commission. At that point she will learn that she will never sell as many again, and hopefully eventually quit.

On the other hand, she could learn she wants to be a sales person. These things are near impossible to sale. The close ratio is unreal, but if she is good at it, she could make some money, and to the few that do make money they do move up and start making more money. More likely if she learns she does enjoy sales she will get into a different field of sales, a more reputable field of sales.

ElGringo
08-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Oh yeah, and as a side note, it would help if you teach her about "qualified leads". When I was first starting they would not send me door to door, they would send me on what I thought was forewarned, called customers. They did call the customer, but gave no warning that we were actually coming to sell anything. I was told I would get "qualified leads" on these first sales calls, but when I learned what a qualified lead was, yeah....like I said, young and dumb.

Predarat
08-08-2012, 06:49 AM
I have never sold them but I shot someone who did. Killed them to death. Nobody cared, the Cops never even showed up at my door. I just used the display vacume, sucked 'em right up, tossed it in the bin behind Wal Mart, issue resloved.

tooge
08-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Is she hot? I need a new vacuum

rad
08-08-2012, 07:02 AM
I have never sold them but I shot someone who did. Killed them to death. Nobody cared, the Cops never even showed up at my door. I just used the display vacume, sucked 'em right up, tossed it in the bin behind Wal Mart, issue resloved.

Wow. I've never killed anyone to death. I've killed people to seriously injured or killed them to very inconvenienced, but never to death.

I'm just a big puss I guess.

KCinNY
08-08-2012, 07:03 AM
They will sucker her into selling one to her grandma and grandpa first and then move on to other relatives before firing her.

This.

The guy that hired her is expecting her to sell one or two to her family and by doing so, his part of the pyramid scheme is working.

Terrible scam. She'd be better off waiting tables...which actually pays decent $ for a 20 year old unskilled worker.

Predarat
08-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Wow. I've never killed anyone to death. I've killed people to seriously injured or killed them to very inconvenienced, but never to death.

I'm just a big puss I guess.

Next time you should try it. It is epic.

markd2000
08-08-2012, 07:20 AM
My wife almost got "sucked" into buying one of these. I came home late one Friday night from a business trip. She had already gone to bed. When I opened the door to the house and turned on the light I thought I was hallucinating! All over the house were the white round discs, on the chairs, couch, carpeting...everywhere. Must have been about 50. I took a closer look and saw a capital K in the middle. They were sticky everywhere except the K and the sticky part was covered with dirt, lent, grime, etc. Well it turns out this salesman inserted these discs into the vacuum to demonstrate how much dirt was in the various places. He even had my wife use our regular vacuum first, then go over it with the Kirby. He was good and my wife was very vulnerable. Once I heard the price, I gathered all the discs and threw them in the trash. That was the end. Fortunately she told the salesman that she wanted to discuss it with me first. I still give my wife grief about that 30 years later!

griZZly64
08-08-2012, 08:07 AM
A few of my friends told me some horror stories about Kirby when I was probably around 19 years old. Right before the economy took a shit I was looking for a new job because the place I was at wasn't getting business. So I answer this ad on criagslist for a warehouse worker making a nice amount of money. I setup and interview and its some random 3 letter company name. We get to talking and I find out "one" of their products is the Kirby vac.

Backstory.. I get there and its pretty much an empty office building. They have a sneakily hot chick doing the interview.. a pre-cougar if you will. She wasn't quite old enough to be a cougar but almost. She's excellent at talking you up and making you feel like you're special. She was borderline flirty.

I hear the word Kirby and this dream world where she tells me she wants me in her but she needs it RIGHT NOW! DO ME RIGHT HERE! NOBODY WILL KNOW. Record scratch. I tell her how I have heard of Kirby and that its a scam. She assures me I'm special and I won't have to do those things. I'm gunna get paid fat. I'll just leapfrog all that nonsense the peasants carry out. I'm given a time and date to be @ a different location for training.

Lets just say after I left I was beyond pissed that i wasted my lunch break.

They are total scammers. Use some abbreviation that does not have the letter "k" in it for company name. Posting as a warehouse job?! These people know no shame. I do give them credit though. Their business model does find them employees that play the role perfectly. I bet the lady who interviewed me gets paid pretty fat. She's a total pro.

Fire Me Boy!
08-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Don't let her drink coffee until she makes a sale. Coffee is for closers.

Phobia
08-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Looks like Kirby will soon be making an official statement denying all these dastardly claims and insisting that there are some subcontracted companies that are sullying the company's good name and that they have been removed from their authorized resellers list.

Imon Yourside
08-13-2012, 07:11 AM
I sold a kirby to an elderly couple at gunpoint, i got the cash and got lost if ya know what i mean. You can practice selling those babies with that guy at work you beat the crap out of on a regular basis, it's best to get a few test drives in before the real deal.

rico
08-13-2012, 07:38 AM
I know 3 people who have sold Kirby's. One is my fiancee's father in law. He doesn't say much about actually selling them, but he has like 3 Kirby's that are old as hell....look to be from the 60's or 70's. They still work very well. Amazing vacuums...honestly. I've been at their house when a Kirby salesman has stopped and it was pretty funny. The guy tried doing the cleaning and presentation and her father and law basically took over by showing the salesman the "proper, more effective way" of cleaning carpets with a Kirby. He also went on an hour long tangent about the history of Kirby's. It was one of those rare occasions where the Kirby salesman actually appeared to WANT to leave the house.

I have 2 friends who were selling Kirby's simultaneously. They are good friends with each other and would often go on sales together. One of them was actually pretty successful. He didn't have any fear in approaching these people and pushing these vacuums by using all the sales tactics he learned in training. I know first hand that he made a pretty good chunk of change in the couple years that he was selling them, but he was really good at it. I think he would be reeling in $1500 a week selling them. No joke. The other guy is not normally a timid person...in fact, he's pretty careless and crazy, but selling Kirby's brought out the timid side in him. He didn't last very long and basically what he took from the job was a bunch of hilarious stories from observing the tactics my other friend would actually use to sell these things. He can't talk about that job without laughing hysterically.

The Kirby Company
08-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Hi John Wayne,

The Kirby Company is the manufacturer of Kirby home cleaning systems and related products. Kirby sells these products to authorized distributors who are independently owned and operated direct sales companies. Salespeople affiliated with independent distributors of Kirby products sell the Kirby home cleaning systems to consumers through in-home demonstrations. The salespeople, or "dealers" as they are known, have the flexibility to create their own schedules and to decide how much and how often they work. The more they sell, the more they make.

We understand the opportunity is not for everyone, but thousands of independent distributors and dealers have enjoyed the opportunity for what it brings – personal, professional and financial growth. Please visit our website to see what people who have achieved success in the Kirby business are saying about their experiences.

blaise
08-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Hi John Wayne,

The Kirby Company is the manufacturer of Kirby home cleaning systems and related products. Kirby sells these products to authorized distributors who are independently owned and operated direct sales companies. Salespeople affiliated with independent distributors of Kirby products sell the Kirby home cleaning systems to consumers through in-home demonstrations. The salespeople, or "dealers" as they are known, have the flexibility to create their own schedules and to decide how much and how often they work. The more they sell, the more they make.

We understand the opportunity is not for everyone, but thousands of independent distributors and dealers have enjoyed the opportunity for what it brings – personal, professional and financial growth. Please visit our website to see what people who have achieved success in the Kirby business are saying about their experiences.

Fuck off.

rico
08-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Lol, wow.... that just happened. LMAO

Imon Yourside
08-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Hi John Wayne,

If only your post was accompanied by elevator music.

rico
08-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi John Wayne,

Do you by chance have any expendable Kirby salesmen who can play QB?

Ebolapox
08-13-2012, 07:57 AM
alright, who's the mult?

suzzer99
08-13-2012, 07:59 AM
I had the misfortune of spending a long car ride from Blue Springs to the Plaza on New Year's Eve with a couple who were both Kirby salespeople. They were batshit INSANE. Total Kool-aid drinkers, tried to sell us vacuum cleaners the whole way. And this is when we were 19 and felt lucky if we could scrounge up enough for a case of Old Mil Light. My friend and I just cowered in the back of the car the whole way.

rico
08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Mr. Kirby Company:

As you may have noticed, I wrote a post just a few minutes ago where I referred to your vacuums as "pretty good." I also stated that my friend and one of your former employees had a positive experience working for your company in terms of pay. I was just, uhhhh.... wondering if you could reciprocate my kind words by offering me a high-paying front office job? I think that's the least you could do...because I was so kind. Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Rico Suave

Kylo Ren
08-13-2012, 08:47 AM
The Kirby Company has $550 in casino cash? Already?

Dartgod
08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
alright, who's the mult?

Phobia would be my guess.

ModSocks
08-13-2012, 09:31 AM

One of the mods at least.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi John Wayne,

Your products SUCK !

Johnny Vegas
08-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Your products SUCK !

actually my science teacher says in the universe nothing can ever suck, it can only blow.

TLO
08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
My only experience with Kirby sellers was me having to literally walk to my bedroom and retrieve my pistol to get them to leave.

LMAO

TLO
08-13-2012, 11:14 AM
I had a knock at my door one day in January of 2007. It was a guy named Sonny trying to sell me a Kirby Sentria vacuum. I was hesitant about it, but a friend of mine was over to visit and she had one and said she loved it. So, I had let him in to do the demo, which took a long time. He was very persistent about me purchasing the Kirby. I kept on saying that it was too much, my credit was not the greatest either. So by then, my husband came home from work. He too was saying the same thing. Finally, he talked us into doing the credit check. He came back saying he could sell us one for $1,900. I said no instantly. Fortunately, my friend was still there and said she had just bought her for $1,000 a few months back and asked why ours was so much. He called his boss and we ended up getting our Kirby for $1,000 and he even threw in the carpet cleaning kit with it. So all in all, I am very pleased with the Kirby company.

WTF????? Who pays that much for a fucking vacuum? Does it also do laundry, wash the dishes, and cook dinner for me?

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
The Kirby Company has $550 in casino cash? Already?

They sucked it all out from between Chiefsplanet's couch cushions.

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-13-2012, 11:16 AM
WTF????? Who pays that much for a ****ing vacuum?

My wife... My wife does :shake:

TLO
08-13-2012, 11:19 AM
My wife... My wife does :shake:

I read that man. My condolences.

Deberg_1990
08-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Rainbow is another one like Kirby. Ultra expensive vaccum sold door to door.

Anyone ever bought one?

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-13-2012, 11:21 AM
I read that man. My condolences.

Yeah, fortunately she's pretty great other than that.
If she happens to go before me, don't think this isn't going to be mentioned in her obituary though.

manchambo
08-13-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't think pay is the biggest concern for a naive 20 year old going door to door. She'll probably get fucked 5 times the first day.

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't think pay is the biggest concern for a naive 20 year old going door to door. She'll probably get ****ed 5 times the first day.

That's where the real money is. The vacuum is just a marketing gimmick.

TLO
08-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah, fortunately she's pretty great other than that.
If she happens to go before me, don't think this isn't going to be mentioned in her obituary though.

LMAO

Hopefully it's a good vacuum? Not worth the price, but still a good product?

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-13-2012, 11:28 AM
LMAO

Hopefully it's a good vacuum? Not worth the price, but still a good product?

It has lasted quite a long time and has only been serviced once. My son and I are allergic to dust mites and this vacuum does better than most at controlling them.

Phobia
08-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Nope. Send him an email and see what happens. It's a legit customer relations account. He has extra casino cash because you start at $500 and get a few bucks per day plus like $10 per post.

Dayze
08-13-2012, 11:38 AM
screw that. The real money is in Amway.

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Nope. Send him an email and see what happens. It's a legit customer relations account. He has extra casino cash because you start at $500 and get a few bucks per day plus like $10 per post.

We get $10 per post?

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 12:07 PM
I had no idea we got $10 per post.

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM
That's amazing.

Rain Man
Absolutely amazing.

Rain Man
$10 a post? Wow!

RealSNR
08-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Reported

Brock
08-13-2012, 12:11 PM
How many posts for a free IPAD?

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Reported

You just made $10 for that.

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 12:13 PM

I figure it's like skeeball. They always have the big prizes on display, but we never get anything better than a Chinese-made stuffed animal or a Larry Johnson jersey.

Fire Me Boy!
08-13-2012, 12:16 PM
How many do we get for posts with pictures? I'll be that's why that one guy got banned - he was beating the house.

Imon Yourside

I got mine at post #5k, then another at #10k...You have to at least received one freebie if not follow the linky dinky http://dairy.gadgetsbonus.com/SplashPage.aspx?g=a343fa0e92d44265878f59310d08c55a&ust=7e204222dad549069db443874af24ff2&nm=01ygdft2ukxyav&s=PF30025&em=&se=54

Fire Me Boy!
How much does Dane get simply for being Dane?

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 12:17 PM
How much does Dane get simply for being Dane?

Maybe that's where the ipad goes.

Baby Lee
08-13-2012, 12:20 PM
A lesson I learned, that should have been self-evident, is that door-to-door sales isn't about convincing people the worth of a product so much is it is getting into someone's living room, then making it clear that you won't leave until money changes hands.

I sold Cutco for a summer, actually held them to their $$ paid, regardless of results, by assiduously documenting my efforts.

The sales manager as much as out right said what I surmised above when she repeatedly reminded us that '75% of sales occur after the 5th time you ASK for a sale.'

As a rube, I took this as some kind of riff on 'ABC, always be closing.' Later, we agreed to let a friend's son make a pitch for another product, and I saw that maxim in full effect.

Every time we said, not interested, he just went back to outlining the features of the product, another 15 minutes or so would pass and he'd ask for a sale again. Eventually, we were firm enough with him to get him out the door, but you could tell that the game was continuing to sit there in the living room hawking the product until SOMETHING was bought and not relinquishing the scene until.

It's kind of a corollary of "you don't pay hookers for sex, you pay them to leave afterwards."

Fire Me Boy!
08-13-2012, 12:27 PM
A lesson I learned, that should have been self-evident, is that door-to-door sales isn't about convincing people the worth of a product so much is it is getting into someone's living room, then making it clear that you won't leave until money changes hands.

I sold Cutco for a summer, actually held them to their $$ paid, regardless of results, by assiduously documenting my efforts.

The sales manager as much as out right said what I surmised above when she repeatedly reminded us that '75% of sales occur after the 5th time you ASK for a sale.'

As a rube, I took this as some kind of riff on 'ABC, always be closing.' Later, we agreed to let a friend's son make a pitch for another product, and I saw that maxim in full effect.

Every time we said, not interested, he just went back to outlining the features of the product, another 15 minutes or so would pass and he'd ask for a sale again. Eventually, we were firm enough with him to get him out the door, but you could tell that the game was continuing to sit there in the living room hawking the product until SOMETHING was bought and not relinquishing the scene until.

It's kind of a corollary of "you don't pay hookers for sex, you pay them to leave afterwards."

The real key is not letting them in the door.

I was playing Skyrim in the living room recently and the doorbell rang. Mrs. FMB! got up, and after a few minutes I noticed she was still talking to them. I listened briefly and got they were trying to sell something and get inside for a demo. I walked over, leaned over my wife's shoulder into the doorway and said, "We're not interested. Get off my property," and promptly closed the door.

The wife was being polite, she admitted.

Brock
08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I still get the college kids every summer selling some kind of school books or encyclopedias. It takes all my willpower not to laugh in their faces.

Fish
08-13-2012, 12:41 PM
I still get the college kids every summer selling some kind of school books or encyclopedias. It takes all my willpower not to laugh in their faces.

But if they sell enough magazines they get a trip to the Caribbean. Why wouldn't you want to help them go on a vacation?

Dartgod
08-13-2012, 01:32 PM
But if they sell enough magazines they get a trip to the Caribbean. Why wouldn't you want to help them go on a vacation?

http://blog.planetd21.com/images/office_space_magazines.jpg

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 01:36 PM

I'm wary of the ones who used to come to my door and say, "If you buy my magazines, it keeps kids like me off the streets." So if I don't buy the magazines, you're going to kill me as part of a gang initiation?

BIG_DADDY
08-13-2012, 01:36 PM
It's OK to just tell us you may have to go to work for Kirby.

ragedogg69
08-13-2012, 01:56 PM
My wife bought some cutco knifes from a college friend. Thank god Arizona has a 3 day cooling off period, she was able to get her money back with a fight. I was so pissed at her.

Fire Me Boy!
08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
My wife bought some cutco knifes from a college friend. Thank god Arizona has a 3 day cooling off period, she was able to get her money back with a fight. I was so pissed at her.

Ugh. Cutco people are the worst. You can't tell them that they way overpaid for decent knives. They think they're the best shit ever.

Cue some random Cutco fan in 3... 2...

MOhillbilly
08-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Unreal that people still sell products door to door.

suzzer99
08-13-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm wary of the ones who used to come to my door and say, "If you buy my magazines, it keeps kids like me off the streets." So if I don't buy the magazines, you're going to kill me as part of a gang initiation?

I had one do that. And then when I turned her down she asked if she could use my bathroom. Um hell no?

suzzer99
08-13-2012, 02:30 PM

I went to a mass job interview for warehouse laborer in those caves under Worlds of Fun. They never really said what the job was, only that it was one of 3 or 4 categories, and set an appt. for me to show up in a few days for my training.

Luckily I was already working on another temp job with some dude who had done the same thing and had to spend a whole day riding around with someone selling knives. Ugh. Shady bastards. It's sad to because there were a ton of grizzled-looking older dudes there who were obviously there for the warehouse interview.

Rain Man
08-13-2012, 02:33 PM

If the knives are really that good, you should be able to wave one around and threaten them and easily get your money back.