PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports The worst. Ballparks. Ever.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Some ugly stuff here for sure. Busch Stadium II not being included is a small travesty though, especially since they like to beat on the cookie-cutter and multi-use parks. Clevelands old stadium should have made the list too.

Slide show.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/photos/gallery/_/id/8073928/jim-caple-worst-ballparks

edit... Dan Quisenberrys comment about the Metrodome was pretty funny.

HemiEd
08-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Without reading the article, the three worst I have been to: Fenway, Metrodome and Wrigley.
Probably about any stadium compared to the K is going to suck some.

Agent V
08-08-2012, 11:31 AM
ROFL the Coliseum. What a nightmare setup.

King_Chief_Fan
08-08-2012, 11:32 AM
metrodome and wrigley for sure...

vailpass
08-08-2012, 11:32 AM
What do you guys have against Wrigley?

HemiEd
08-08-2012, 11:34 AM
What do you guys have against Wrigley?

It isn't 1930 anymore. Lots of crap seats behind poles, narrow ailes, it just sucks, but not quite as bad as fenway.

vailpass
08-08-2012, 11:38 AM
It isn't 1930 anymore. Lots of crap seats behind poles, narrow ailes, it just sucks, but not quite as bad as fenway.

Oh. I like all of that. Living in the land of everything new and no traditional architecture makes me that way. I'd trade the football and baseball stadiums in Phoenix to have a Wrigley here.
Of course if Wrigley was here it'd be empty unless they were winning. Phoenix is without a doubt home to the biggest segment of shitbird fair weather fans in America.

Demonpenz
08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
I remember they used cut scenes in Field Of Dreams when James Earl Jones and Kevin Cosner were supposed to be in "Fenway" because they wanted to actually film there but James Earl Jones was like "Fuck that shit. "

Frazod
08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Wrigley does have character. Granted, it's a crumbling pile of shit, but a neat place to watch a game. When I went to old Yankee Stadium I expected it to be like Wrigley, and I was sorely disappointed. Only the parts you saw on TV were nice. Everything else was cramped, barren and filthy.

HemiEd
08-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Oh. I like all of that. Living in the land of everything new and no traditional architecture makes me that way. I'd trade the football and baseball stadiums in Phoenix to have a Wrigley here.
Of course if Wrigley was here it'd be empty unless they were winning. Phoenix is without a doubt home to the biggest segment of shitbird fair weather fans in America.

Oh I hear ya, and don't mind looking at pictures of Wrigley, I just don't like the experience of actually being there. Especially if I have to pay money for it.

It starts with crap rip off parking, and goes down hill from there. Oh, and I hate the Cubs, so there is that.

I think modern is a good thing, when it comes to comfort and enjoying the ball game. But I do enjoy peanuts.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Without reading the article, the three worst I have been to: Fenway, Metrodome and Wrigley.

No article, just a slide show. It's for message board folks so they don't have to tl;dr it heh.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Wrigley imo is just God-awful ugly on the outside but does have it's charm on the inside. I'm glad it and Fenway are still in use so the history of the league stays alive in some way. Not everyone has to be all shiney and new imo.

Elwaysux
08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
I saw the Blue Jays play the Mariners in the old Kingdome in Seattle. What a nightmare. We were in the upper deck and there were huge speakers blocking our view of parts of the field. I also saw the Royals play in the old Texas Rangers stadium which was a Triple A ballpark, minus the good things in a good Triple A park.

CoMoChief
08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Metrodome is a complete junkyard. God what a shithole.

Didn't they used to have the hockey glass on the outfield fences? LMAO

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I saw the Blue Jays play the Mariners in the old Kingdome in Seattle. What a nightmare. We were in the upper deck and there were huge speakers blocking our view of parts of the field. I also saw the Royals play in the old Texas Rangers stadium which was a Triple A ballpark, minus the good things in a good Triple A park.

The Kingdome and Arlington Stadium are on the slide show. (not knowing if you saw it or not.)

Frazod
08-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Oh I hear ya, and don't mind looking at pictures of Wrigley, I just don't like the experience of actually being there. Especially if I have to pay money for it.

It starts with crap rip off parking, and goes down hill from there. Oh, and I hate the Cubs, so there is that.

I think modern is a good thing, when it comes to comfort and enjoying the ball game. But I do enjoy peanuts.

I won't drive there anymore - traffic is ridiculous and parking can be as expensive as the tickets. For day games, I park on the street near the Morse Red Line stop, which is north of Wrigley. 99% of the people who take the L to the game come from the south, so it's much easier to come in from the north.

However, that neighborhood is a bitch sketchy. I wouldn't park my car there at night. For night games, I'll park in the Loop and deal with the crowds.

gblowfish
08-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I've been to Wrigley and the Cell in Chicago, Twinkie-Dome, Yankee Stadium, Old Busch Stadium, Astrodome, Cleveland's Jake, Candlestick in SF, Camden Yards Baltimore, Milwaukee County Stadium.

Yankee Stadium -the old one- was a total toilet. Wrigley and old Comiskey Field have great character, the Cell is cookie cutter and sucks. Twinkie-Dome sucked, you'd lose track of the flight of the ball. Haven't been to Target Field yet. Any domed stadium sucks for baseball. Cleveland's Jake is very nice, I liked it a lot. Camden Yards is cool too.

HemiEd
08-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Wrigley does have character. Granted, it's a crumbling pile of shit, but a neat place to watch a game. When I went to old Yankee Stadium I expected it to be like Wrigley, and I was sorely disappointed. Only the parts you saw on TV were nice. Everything else was cramped, barren and filthy.

When did you go to Yankee Stadium? Were they playing the Royals?

That is kind of how I felt about Fenway, it made Wrigley look good. I did enjoy a game in the 700 club at Fenway once, they were some big insurance companies' seats. I liked the bar areas around Fenway a lot.

HemiEd
08-08-2012, 11:56 AM
I won't drive there anymore - traffic is ridiculous and parking can be as expensive as the tickets. For day games, I park on the street near the Morse Red Line stop, which is north of Wrigley. 99% of the people who take the L to the game come from the south, so it's much easier to come in from the north.

However, that neighborhood is a bitch sketchy. I wouldn't park my car there at night. For night games, I'll park in the Loop and deal with the crowds.Yeah, I am with you and don't plan on ever going again. It is off the list, a couple times.

I am guessing your motivation for dealing with all of that is the Cardinals being in town?:hmmm:

Chief Gump
08-08-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.savingmoneyinmissouri.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/06/Ball-Park.jpg

http://www.freesnatcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ball-park-hot-dogs.jpg

I am gonna go with these

TEX
08-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Some ugly stuff here for sure. Busch Stadium II not being included is a small travesty though, especially since they like to beat on the cookie-cutter and multi-use parks. Clevelands old stadium should have made the list too.

Slide show.

edit... Dan Quisenberrys comment about the Metrodome was pretty funny.

As a kid, it sure was fun to watch baseball in the Astrodome though! I remember when my cousins would come in from California and Boston, they absolutely LOVED watching baseball games indoors. Was a pretty fun and good experience for the times...

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 12:54 PM
As a kid, it sure was fun to watch baseball in the Astrodome though! I remember when my cousins would come in from California and Boston, they absolutely LOVED watching baseball games indoors. Was a pretty fun and good experience for the times...

I'd have loved to have seen a game there. I'd love to see a game in every stadium, even the ugly ones. It would be fun to see just how ugly they are if that makes any sense.

Frazod
08-08-2012, 12:55 PM
When did you go to Yankee Stadium? Were they playing the Royals?

That is kind of how I felt about Fenway, it made Wrigley look good. I did enjoy a game in the 700 club at Fenway once, they were some big insurance companies' seats. I liked the bar areas around Fenway a lot.

I was working at my old firm's New York office for a couple of weeks back in the late 90s. One of my best friends lives out there, and I went to a Yankees/Red Sox game with him. Don't remember much about the game - mainly I remember being stuck in traffic for two hours trying to get there and how nasty the stadium was. We did have good seats, though.

Frazod
08-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I am with you and don't plan on ever going again. It is off the list, a couple times.

I am guessing your motivation for dealing with all of that is the Cardinals being in town?:hmmm:

I haven't been to Wrigley for a couple of years, but don't mind going. I obviously prefer to watch the Cardinals play in St. Louis.

I've been to several non-Cardinal games at Wrigley as well. I just root for whoever the visitor is. :D

loochy
08-08-2012, 01:07 PM
THis list makes me realize that I never appreciated Royals stadium at all when I was a kid. I thought that pretty much every stadium was like that.

whoman69
08-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Worst ever was the Old Vet in Philadelphia. It was a cookie cutter with a horrible field that had dead spots, non-level seams and the worst fans in the league. I was at a game in the old stadium in Arlington where the temperature rose 10 degrees by the end of the game to over 100 for a night game. Busch Stadium 2 was a great stadium after they took out the cookie cutter aspects.

For older stadiums there was Seal Stadium in SF that was like a cavern. Ebbetts Field was under 300 down both lines and over 450 to center. Tiger Stadium was a launching port despite being 420 to center. The old Baker Bowl in Philly was probably the most offensive field in history but that might be due to the fact that Phillie pitching staffs were always horrible.

For the new stadiums I hate Enron Field (yes I still call it that) and the New Yankee stadium for being parks that a little leaguer could hit one out of.

I would have loved to have seen Forbes Field in Pittsburg when it was new.

HemiEd
08-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I haven't been to Wrigley for a couple of years, but don't mind going. I obviously prefer to watch the Cardinals play in St. Louis.

I've been to several non-Cardinal games at Wrigley as well. I just root for whoever the visitor is. :D

You and I agree on the Cubs.

Sometimes I worry that the Chiefs are headed down that path. After all, it has been four decades now.

The Royals, 2 1/2+ decades since even a playoff appearance and they are outdrawing the division leading White Sox. That is almost Cub like.

chefsos
08-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Worst ever was the Old Vet in Philadelphia. It was a cookie cutter with a horrible field that had dead spots, non-level seams and the worst fans in the league. I was at a game in the old stadium in Arlington where the temperature rose 10 degrees by the end of the game to over 100 for a night game. Busch Stadium 2 was a great stadium after they took out the cookie cutter aspects.

For older stadiums there was Seal Stadium in SF that was like a cavern. Ebbetts Field was under 300 down both lines and over 450 to center. Tiger Stadium was a launching port despite being 420 to center. The old Baker Bowl in Philly was probably the most offensive field in history but that might be due to the fact that Phillie pitching staffs were always horrible.

For the new stadiums I hate Enron Field (yes I still call it that) and the New Yankee stadium for being parks that a little leaguer could hit one out of.

I would have loved to have seen Forbes Field in Pittsburg when it was new.I read somewhere that the place had RR tracks running through center field.

Another park that's kind of legendary, but looks to me like a craphole, is the Polo Grounds. Granted, that's from looking at old pictures and clips, as I've never been there.

whoman69
08-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I read somewhere that the place had RR tracks running through center field.

Another park that's kind of legendary, but looks to me like a craphole, is the Polo Grounds. Granted, that's from looking at old pictures and clips, as I've never been there.

Don't know why I said Ebbetts, which was the home of the Dodgers. I meant to say Polo Grounds. Dimensions were 279 down the line in left, 257 down the line in right. But it jutted straight out from the lines to where it was around 450 to the corners of the outfield. From there the fence was flat so it was actually closer to straight away center at 425. There was a groove for the clubhouse that was over 500 feet from home.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/T%26T_Polo_Grounds_diagram_1951.JPG

whoman69
08-08-2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.baseballforum.com/photopost/data/506/medium/1953_POLO_GROUNDS_LITHO_NICE.bmp

whoman69
08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
The litho is the Polo grounds is very stylized and paints it in a better light than reality.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Don't know why I said Ebbetts, which was the home of the Dodgers. I meant to say Polo Grounds. Dimensions were 279 down the line in left, 257 down the line in right. But it jutted straight out from the lines to where it was around 450 to the corners of the outfield. From there the fence was flat so it was actually closer to straight away center at 425. There was a groove for the clubhouse that was over 500 feet from home.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/T%26T_Polo_Grounds_diagram_1951.JPG

That's seriously screwed up.

MIAdragon
08-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Its a shame that people cant appreciate history, this is why stadiums like Old Yankee stadium are torn down and "replaced" with more room for people to piss.

Deberg_1990
08-08-2012, 05:35 PM
ROFL at the Exhibition Stadium pic and the L.A. Colesium field dimensions.

chefsos
08-08-2012, 05:35 PM
That's seriously screwed up.Whoman's got some serious facts there, but I've seen pics and read stuff that tells me the original park's seating was in that semi-circle around the infield. When it was expanded, they just went straight out with the new stands. Maybe they were hemmed in by the railroads and projects all around it.

BigMeatballDave
08-08-2012, 05:37 PM
3 Rivers.

L.A. Chieffan
08-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Candlestick should be on there. I went to a game there in the middle of August and almost got frostbite

Deberg_1990
08-08-2012, 05:39 PM
This brings to mind a question ive always had. Why doesnt MLB have a standardized playing field and field dimensions? Dont all other Pro sports have that?

chefsos
08-08-2012, 05:41 PM
I could seriously get into this, looking into ballparks that aren't there anymore. For example, League Park in Cleveland, where the Indians played BEFORE that monstrosity Municipal Stadium was built. There's still a small section of seats standing in the open park where it once stood.

chefsos
08-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Candlestick should be on there. I went to a game there in the middle of August and almost got frostbiteAbsolutely. That always looked like a horrible ballpark to me, and that summer chill was legendary. Does it get cold at the new park, too?

Shag
08-08-2012, 05:46 PM

The Metrodome definitely sucks. Fortunately, the Twins got a new park a couple years ago, which is awesome. The Vikings just got a new stadium approved this year, so the 'dome only has a couple years left...

Frazod
Its a shame that people cant appreciate history, this is why stadiums like Old Yankee stadium are torn down and "replaced" with more room for people to piss.

Tearing that fucking pit down was the best thing for it.

BigMeatballDave
This brings to mind a question ive always had. Why doesnt MLB have a standardized playing field and field dimensions? Dont all other Pro sports have that?

That would be boring.

chefsos
08-08-2012, 05:47 PM
This brings to mind a question ive always had. Why doesnt MLB have a standardized playing field and field dimensions? Dont all other Pro sports have that?I guess they couldn't in the old days, because those parks were shoehorned into city blocks, and now it's just become standard to be non-standard.

Frazod
08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
That would be boring.

They should reign it in a bit, though. I'm primarily thinking of that goofy golf outfield in Houston.

Deberg_1990
08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Anyone been to Tropicana field? That one isnt that old and is on this list....

BigMeatballDave
08-08-2012, 05:53 PM
They should reign it in a bit, though. I'm primarily thinking of that goofy golf outfield in Houston.

Yeah, I don't get the hill in center.

Seems like a blown ACL waiting to happen.

Frazod
08-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Seems like a blown ACL waiting to happen.

I hope the first person it happens to sues the crap out of them. And I also hope he doesn't play for my team.

chefsos
08-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Seems like a blown ACL waiting to happen.Yeah, but you've got a flagpole to hang onto while waiting for the cart to come get you.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Having non uniform outfield sizes from stadium to stadium in MLB has always been part of the game and no issue imo. The infields are all the same size, distance from base to base etc..

I can't believe to this day that Houston was allowed to put a hill and a pole in the playing field though. That's just beyond ridiculous. I'm surprised there haven't been more injurys caused by that "brilliant idea" to this point. I know both are a mile away from home plate but why not just put some pot holes and snipers out there while you're at it. The Houston brain trust was really taking a nap when they decided on that and they still are for not fixing it yet and I can't believe MLB allows it.

Can you imagine putting obstacles on a football field and saying it gives the place "charactor?" I don't wish injury on any player but it would serve Houston right to lose a good centerfielder for a year or even forever because he broke something turning an ankle on the hill or ran into the pole head first.

MIAdragon
08-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Candlestick should be on there. I went to a game there in the middle of August and almost got frostbite

By far the worst, you would have to leave before the 6th or the fog was so bad you would get lost trying to find your car in the mud pit they made you park in. Epic shithole.

MIAdragon
08-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Anyone been to Tropicana field? That one isnt that old and is on this list....

Guess they missed asking the 45 people that go to games there. Its actually looks worse in person than on TV. Id be embarrassed to play HS ball on that field.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Might be a dumb question but Tropicana was there before the Rays correct? I mean it's not very new. So what/who was it originally built for? Why anyone would build a dome stadium in Florida is beyond me let alone one that terrible.

MIAdragon
08-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Might be a dumb question but Tropicana was there before the Rays correct? I mean it's not very new. So what/who was it originally built for? Why anyone would build a dome stadium in Florida is beyond me let alone one that terrible.

You NEED a dome in FL to play baseball. It rains almost every day during the summer. Yea were trying to get a team to Tampa in the early 90's so they built the park but it didn't happen until the 98 expansion.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 07:24 PM
You NEED a dome in FL to play baseball. It rains almost every day during the summer. Yea were trying to get a team to Tampa in the early 90's so they built the park but it didn't happen until the 98 expansion.

Yeah I forgot about the daily storm that moves through. I've only spent a week of my life in Florida and it was 14 years ago. Make it a retractable roof then at least.

Thanks for the other info too.

whoman69
08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Absolutely. That always looked like a horrible ballpark to me, and that summer chill was legendary. Does it get cold at the new park, too?

Any baseball field that you need to wear a winter coat to in July needs to be on this list.

whoman69
08-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Having non uniform outfield sizes from stadium to stadium in MLB has always been part of the game and no issue imo. The infields are all the same size, distance from base to base etc..

I can't believe to this day that Houston was allowed to put a hill and a pole in the playing field though. That's just beyond ridiculous. I'm surprised there haven't been more injurys caused by that "brilliant idea" to this point. I know both are a mile away from home plate but why not just put some pot holes and snipers out there while you're at it. The Houston brain trust was really taking a nap when they decided on that and they still are for not fixing it yet and I can't believe MLB allows it.

Can you imagine putting obstacles on a football field and saying it gives the place "charactor?" I don't wish injury on any player but it would serve Houston right to lose a good centerfielder for a year or even forever because he broke something turning an ankle on the hill or ran into the pole head first.

Not the first park in history to have a hill. Crosley Park in Cincinatti had a terraced outfield in left.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Not the first park in history to have a hill. Crosley Park in Cincinatti had a terraced outfield in left.

Stupid then... stupid now imo.

chefsos
08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
I think Fenway had a hill in left too, before the wall was built, and people sat on it.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Busch Stadium II not being included is a small travesty though, especially since they like to beat on the cookie-cutter and multi-use parks

Hater. New Busch is absolutely gorgeous.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Busch Stadium II not being included is a small travesty though, especially since they like to beat on the cookie-cutter and multi-use parks

Hater. New Busch is absolutely gorgeous.

And it's Busch III. I said Busch II.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-08-2012, 09:04 PM
And it's Busch III. I said Busch II.

Got ya. It still wasn't the dump that many of these parks are.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Got ya. It still wasn't the dump that many of these parks are.

It wasn't as bad as The Vet or Metrodome or The Astrodome, I'll give you that and they did improve it from it's beginning to before they tore it down. I know most people still think of the first stadium as Sportsmans Park too.

BWillie
08-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I like Kaufmann but Arrowhead is probably lower tier in NFL. Not bad. Just not good.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I like Kaufmann but Arrowhead is probably lower tier in NFL. Not bad. Just not good.

I agree. The renovations did Arrowhead a lot of good but before that it was just plain ugly on the outside. The K was too on the outside or "backside." Poured concrete as far as the eye can see just isn't a good look.

KChiefs1
08-08-2012, 10:34 PM

We've been spoiled that's for sure!

Psyko Tek
08-08-2012, 10:36 PM

I live in mesa and agree with this

blaise
08-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I hope the first person it happens to sues the crap out of them. And I also hope he doesn't play for my team.

I saw Richie Sexson hit a ball that hit the flag pole about halfway up, and the ball bounced back into play. It was a monster shot, that pole is way out there. The hill is so deep you almost never even see a guy have to make a catch out there, and his ball was far up the pole.
He got a double out of it. He was like, "What the?"

blaise
08-08-2012, 10:38 PM
I saw a game at that Exhibition Stadium they had in Toronto, too. It was a dump. Like a minor league field. And not even a nice minor league field.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-08-2012, 10:44 PM
I saw a game at that Exhibition Stadium they had in Toronto, too. It was a dump. Like a minor league field. And not even a nice minor league field.

I remember watching Royals games there and even as a kid thinking what a crappy place it looked like. Same with Memorial Stadium in Cleveland, Rangers Park in Arlington, County Stadium in Milwaukee, old Tigers Stadium, The Kingdome and Comisky. There was a lot of ugly back then.

blaise
08-08-2012, 10:49 PM

I would have loved to have seen Forbes Field in Pittsburg when it was new.

They had a bleacher collapse there and 12 people got killed. I read an article on it once in a really nice baseball periodical called the EFQ Review. They don't publish it anymore, which is a shame, because it was a really good. Always had these sort of lesser known baseball tales.

oldman
08-09-2012, 06:50 AM

Back in the day, old Yankee Stadium had those monuments in the field of play. I can remember a few inside the park HRs due to those. It was also 294' or 296' to the right field flagpole. But I do agree that kind of "charm" just dosen't have a place in today's game.

HemiEd
08-09-2012, 06:57 AM
The Metrodome definitely sucks. Fortunately, the Twins got a new park a couple years ago, which is awesome. The Vikings just got a new stadium approved this year, so the 'dome only has a couple years left...
Hopefully the roof will last that long.

Deberg_1990
08-09-2012, 07:11 AM
New Busch is absolutely gorgeous.

Ill 2nd this. great park.

Dartgod
08-09-2012, 07:55 AM

I have fond memories of that stadium. Particularly Jim Sundberg's bases loaded triple in game 7 of the 1985 ALCS.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-09-2012, 08:29 AM
I have fond memories of that stadium. Particularly Jim Sundberg's bases loaded triple in game 7 of the 1985 ALCS.

Ah yes.... good times. That was OUR TIME!

Amnorix
08-09-2012, 08:38 AM
I think Fenway had a hill in left too, before the wall was built, and people sat on it.

Good call. It was called Duffy's Cliff after a very good Red Sox leftfielder who mastered it.

I love the history of Fenway, but it really ought to go. It's cramped and uncomfortable (unless you're about 5'6" and weigh 120 lbs) with many bad sight lines. With politics in Boston, that should happen in the year 2218 or thereabouts...

Dartgod
08-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Ah yes.... good times. That was OUR ONLY TIME!

Indeed it was.

Oh, and FYP as well

BigRedChief
08-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Slide show.

edit... Dan Quisenberrys comment about the Metrodome was pretty funny.Bush II was the best of the cookie cutters of the 60's-70's. It at least had the arches in the design and later incorpoerated some of the teams history into the stadium.

BigRedChief
08-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Might be a dumb question but Tropicana was there before the Rays correct? I mean it's not very new. So what/who was it originally built for? Why anyone would build a dome stadium in Florida is beyond me let alone one that terrible.The trop is about a mile from where I live. It was built to attract a baseball team but it didnt work.

You have to have a roof in Florida. In July and August it rains almost every afternoon for about 15 mintues. And some of those rains can drop 2-4 inches in that time.

The trop sucks big time. But, it is nice to watch a game in July and August and not be sweating your ass off.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Bush II was the best of the cookie cutters of the 60's-70's. It at least had the arches in the design and later incorpoerated some of the teams history into the stadium.

Is being the best of the cookie cutters like being the best shitty starter in the Royals rotation?

:D

As I said earlier I'd forgotten about the daily showers in Florida having not been there for many years. I get the need for a roof. Seems like a retractable one would be a much better call.

Elwaysux
08-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I didn't realize how many of these "crappy" parks I have been to. I disagree about Fenway and old Yankee Stadium being on the list. The history and watching play off and World Series games (at Yankee Stadium) were great memories and would not be the same at one of the new cookie cutter stadiums. I agree wholeheartedly about the Vet in Philly although it was a great place to get foul balls in September when less than 10,000 people would show for a game. Candlestick was awful and the Astrodome felt like a large box. I will still leave the Kingdome and Arlington at the top, or the bottom of my list.

TEX
08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I'd have loved to have seen a game there. I'd love to see a game in every stadium, even the ugly ones. It would be fun to see just how ugly they are if that makes any sense.

The thing about the Dome was that it was so HUGE! You would think a ball was gone, but it would turn into a pop out. You would think someone would hit the roof, but they never did. The speakers - yes - but not the roof. It was just HUGE for a baseball field. Looking up at the roof from the inside was pretty cool.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-09-2012, 11:28 AM
The thing about the Dome was that it was so HUGE! You would think a ball was gone, but it would turn into a pop out. You would think someone would hit the roof, but they never did. The speakers - yes - but not the roof. It was just HUGE for a baseball field. Looking up at the roof from the inside was pretty cool.

I imagine it had to feel like you were a mile away from the action and maybe therefor detached from it to a point if you were sitting in the upper reaches. Yes, no?

Demonpenz
08-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Kauffman is pretty bad ass, decent to look at. The food there has gotten way better, more beer choices, really cheap tickets.

- No Replays on the scoreboard nothing to do after the game terrible team.

KCUnited
08-09-2012, 11:53 AM
The parking pass at the K is the best way to parlay low attendance. If you park in Lot J and sit on the 3rd base side, you can be turning onto Manchester by Ned's first "he gave up some runs, but I like what I saw" response during his presser.

TEX
08-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I imagine it had to feel like you were a mile away from the action and maybe therefor detached from it to a point if you were sitting in the upper reaches. Yes, no?

Yep. But then you got caught up in the "vastness" of the Dome and watched the replays. It was a much better venue for football than baseball as far as getting detached from the game was concerned.

HemiEd
08-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I didn't realize how many of these "crappy" parks I have been to. I disagree about Fenway and old Yankee Stadium being on the list. The history and watching play off and World Series games (at Yankee Stadium) were great memories and would not be the same at one of the new cookie cutter stadiums. I agree wholeheartedly about the Vet in Philly although it was a great place to get foul balls in September when less than 10,000 people would show for a game. Candlestick was awful and the Astrodome felt like a large box. I will still leave the Kingdome and Arlington at the top, or the bottom of my list.

No doubt there is plenty of history at Fenway, but did you actually feel comfortable in that stadium? I didn't even really like the indoor luxury box, you felt totally removed from the game. When I had seats outside, it was horrid.

MrNightly
08-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Just went to Wrigley field last week... it was awful. not impressed at all. Of course, I'm not a big baseball fan anyway, but that field was plain terrible.

From the concessions to the bathrooms, to the layout, just poorly designed. It was in a pretty cool district, however. And the clientele was mighty fine too :)

Frazod
08-09-2012, 12:24 PM
It's not like Ruth was playing when I was at Yankee Stadium. I just saw a crappy, dirty ballpark in a bad neighborhood.

whoman69
08-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Back in the day, old Yankee Stadium had those monuments in the field of play. I can remember a few inside the park HRs due to those. It was also 294' or 296' to the right field flagpole. But I do agree that kind of "charm" just dosen't have a place in today's game.

Those monuments were way out there where no player would ever run into them. It was 463 to center where the monuments were.

HemiEd
08-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Just went to Wrigley field last week... it was awful. not impressed at all. Of course, I'm not a big baseball fan anyway, but that field was plain terrible.

From the concessions to the bathrooms, to the layout, just poorly designed. It was in a pretty cool district, however. And the clientele was mighty fine too :)

This, and did you have to pay to go? If I am going to spend money for a Ribeye, I don't want pinto beans just because Teddy Roosevelt used to eat them.