PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Voiding a DirecTV contract

Discuss Thrower
08-09-2012, 03:47 PM
So Raiderroomate and I want out of our current apartment. Problem is he's on the hook for the satellite contract. Our desired location already has cable included in the cost, and they do not allow for satellite installations.

RaiderRoomate already called DTV and they said he's going to have to pay a termination fee of $240ish.. But he had this convo with their moving department,and I'm wondering if there was a way around the penalty.

Off Topic: Fuck Uverse: I sign a deal that said "12,6,3mbps? Doesn't matter, it's all $29.99 for a year." signed up for 12, and three months im I'm billed $48. Didn't catch it and don't feel like talking to CCCP Politburo to fix it. Icing on the cake? Paying for 12mbps MAX, and am only getting .6 down and .8 up. Im at fault for the billing oversight, but goddamn its bullshit we're getting torqued on the bandwidth.

The Franchise
08-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Do this:

Call into DirectTV and tell them that you're moving to an apartment that doesn't allow their service. Tell them that you want to suspend your service. You won't have to make payments and then later on down the line....if you want to get DirectTV back (which you will have to eventually)....you'll be able to start it up again where you left off.

Donger
08-09-2012, 03:56 PM
and they do not allow for satellite installations.

Unless something has changed, there is a law that says they cannot prohibit you from getting DBS service.

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Unless something has changed, there is a law that says they cannot prohibit you from getting DBS service.

This is correct, but some apartment complexes want you to sign a waiver.

ToxSocks
08-09-2012, 04:05 PM

I believe this is correct, however the Complex will say that there cannot be any damage to the building, therefor the dish has to be installed in such a way that there is nothing being drilled into the walls or roof.

Also, the dish will have to be removed once you leave, or they will ding you for that as well.

vailpass
08-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Rent a house instead.

DaFace
08-09-2012, 04:42 PM

I believe this is correct, however the Complex will say that there cannot be any damage to the building, therefor the dish has to be installed in such a way that there is nothing being drilled into the walls or roof.

Also, the dish will have to be removed once you leave, or they will ding you for that as well.

Yep. In other words, you can't mount a satellite on the roof or on a balcony without permission, which wipes a lot of people out - especially if your apartment doesn't have a south-facing balcony.

Gravedigger
08-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Fake your own deaths, it's the only way.