PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Pee in the pool? Phelps, Lochte say 'always'

Planetman
08-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Sorry if Q, etc.
Michael Phelps admits: we do pee in the poolhttp://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/kookybooboo/Emoticons/PissingMonkeySmiley.gif?t=1241926079

Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time, has revealed what no sports fan wants to hear – that Olympic swimmers occasionally relieve themselves in the pool.

The US swimmer said: “I think everybody pees in the pool. It’s kind of a normal thing to do for swimmers. When we’re in the water for two hours, we don’t really get out to pee.

“Chlorine kills it so it’s not bad.”

Phelps was responding to comments made by fellow swimmer Ryan Lochte, who caused controversy recently when he reportedly said that he has on occasion relieved himself while in the pool.

Lochte has revealed that he peed in the pool while warming up for the London Olympics.

The 28-year-old swimming star made the revelation when radio personality Ryan Seacrest asked him, if swimmers urinate in the pool.

"Of course. We always do," he said

"I think there's just something about getting into chlorine water that you just automatically go," he added.

When asked if he did that during the London Olympics.

"Not during the races, but I sure did before in warm-up," he said.

His battle with Phelps was one of the big talking points of the Games.

Lochte won the 400 metres individual medley, with Phelps finishing fourth.

But Phelps got his revenge in the 200 metres event, winning the race, as Lochte finished in the silver medal position.

The two were part of the US team that won gold in the 4 x 200 metres freestyle relay.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/swimming/9457088/Michael-Phelps-admits-we-do-pee-in-the-pool.html

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2012, 05:26 PM
:LOL:

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Chorine doesn't kill pee. Actually, it can't.

The massive amounts of ammonia released isn't killed because chlorine cannot destroy it when it combines. It just ties it up and creates what are called Chloromines. These chloromines, when they evaporate into the air, are proven to promote lung cancer.

Tied up chlorine can only be eliminated by oxidizing the water.

/pool expert

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2012, 05:28 PM
I know I've pissed in just about every pool I've been in.

Pissed in the Ocean back in May.

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I know I've pissed in just about every pool I've been in.

Pissed in the Ocean back in May.

One person peeing in a residential style pool less than 30,000 gallons will pretty much tie up all of their chlorine. So if you have, you cost that person at least a hundred dollars every time you do it.

Don't be a dick. Piss in the toilet.

CoMoChief
08-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Who cares everyone does it. You're anxious before a race you're in the water you fuckin' go man. The acid, chlorine, basking soda will take care of it.

CoMoChief
08-09-2012, 05:32 PM
One person peeing in a residential style pool less than 30,000 gallons will pretty much tie up all of their chlorine. So if you have, you cost that person at least a hundred dollars every time you do it.

This isn't true at all.

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2012, 05:34 PM

LOL

Okay

notorious
08-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Sick Fucks.

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 05:37 PM
This isn't true at all.

Sure it's not.

You're part of the APSP right?

CoMoChief
08-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Sure it's not.

You're part of the APSP right?

Nope, sure ain't. But I do know that to be false.

WV
08-09-2012, 05:40 PM

The massive amounts of ammonia released isn't killed because chlorine cannot destroy it when it combines. It just ties it up and creates what are called Chloromines. These chloromines, when they evaporate into the air, are proven to promote lung cancer.

/pool expert

Massive amounts of Ammonia? What are you a cat? Human Urine is typically 95% water.

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Who cares everyone does it. You're anxious before a race you're in the water you ****in' go man. The acid, chlorine, basking soda will take care of it.

None of those things do anything to ammonia. Only oxidizing the water does.

IF your pool is acidic, you're an idiot. What the fuckis basking soda? You mean soda ash? That's for adjusting PH. It has nothing to do with sanitizing the pool.

notorious
08-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Massive amounts of Ammonia? What are you a cat? Human Urine is typically 95% water.

Mine is 95% Budweiser! Hayoooooooo! /CP Rednecks

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Nope, sure ain't. But I do know that to be false.

It's only false if the person keeps the PPM of their chlorine well over the recommended/safe levels.

Joe Seahawk
08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
http://media.bonnint.net/seattle/8/832/83230.jpgOne person peeing in a residential style pool less than 30,000 gallons will pretty much tie up all of their chlorine. So if you have, you cost that person at least a hundred dollars every time you do it.

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 05:44 PM

IT's not exactly ammonia, because it's toxic to the body. Ammonia converts to urea in the body to prevent it from poisoning you. You gonna tell me urea isn't in urine?

To chlorine though, the effect is the same.

CoMoChief
08-09-2012, 05:45 PM
None of those things do anything to ammonia. Only oxidizing the water does.

IF your pool is acidic, you're an idiot. What the ****is basking soda? You mean soda ash? That's for adjusting PH. It has nothing to do with sanitizing the pool.

The amount of other chemicals in the pool (like the ones I mentioned) in ratio to the amount of urine (which is mostly water itself) doesn't effect anything at all. Perhaps you misunderstood my last post.

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2012, 05:47 PM
http://media.bonnint.net/seattle/8/832/83230.jpg

LMAO

Frazod
Dude's got 18 gold medals. He can pee wherever he wants.

WhiteWhale
The amount of other chemicals in the pool (like the ones I mentioned) in ratio to the amount of urine (which is mostly water itself) doesn't effect anything at all. Perhaps you misunderstood my last post.

Okay pool professionals. According to you guys chlorine kills ammonia and urea isn't in urine.

I love this site.

jd1020
08-09-2012, 05:49 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45792000/jpg/_45792173_jex_363012_de27-1.jpg

WV
08-09-2012, 05:49 PM
IT's not exactly ammonia, because it's toxic to the body. Ammonia converts to urea in the body to prevent it from poisoning you. You gonna tell me urea isn't in urine?

To chlorine though, the effect is the same.

Even still to call it a massive release of ammonia is ridiculous.

An average person produces 1-2 Liters a day, even if you piss in the pool every single time the percentage of Ammonia compared to the amount of water in the pool is minimal.

I agree to not pee in the pool though...but let's not be dumb about it.

Cephalic Trauma
08-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Okay pool professionals. According to you guys chlorine kills ammonia and urea isn't in urine.

I love this site.

Saying "kill" implies something contained in the components of urine is alive.

Please say "neutralize" or something.

It's similar to my girlfriend saying "made a touchdown". It drives me crazy

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Even still to call it a massive release of ammonia is ridiculous.

An average person produces 1-2 Liters a day, even if you piss in the pool every single time the percentage of Ammonia compared to the amount of water in the pool is minimal.

I agree to not pee in the pool though...but let's not be dumb about it.

It is a massive amount in a relative sense. People pissing in pools is why most public pools are required to have a chlorine levels at 10 PPM so they can sandbag for all the tied up chlorine. That's five times the ideal levels. They often have auto-shock dispensers built in to continually oxidize the water as well. Residential pools usually have a chlorine PPM of 2 and shock is at least seven dollars per pound. You'll need several bags to free up the chloromines after someone pisses in the pool.

It's not like a guy pissing in an olympic style swimming pool is doing a lot of damage, but that's because of the volume of water.

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Saying "kill" implies something contained in the components of urine is alive.

Please say "neutralize" or something.

It's similar to my girlfriend saying "made a touchdown". It drives me crazy

:D Fair enough.

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2012, 05:57 PM
THE TERRORISTS WIN IF YOU PEE IN THE POOL

jd1020
08-09-2012, 05:57 PM
As a residential pool owner in my 20s I can tell you I have no doubt (but can't prove) that drunk friends have probably peed in my pool before.

You need to get that chemical that turns pee blue!

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2010/06/24/grown-ups-trailer-2.jpg

WV
08-09-2012, 05:59 PM
It is a massive amount in a relative sense. People pissing in pools is why most public pools are required to have a chlorine levels at 10 PPM so they can sandbag for all the tied up chlorine. That's five times the ideal levels. They often have auto-shock dispensers built in to continually oxidize the water as well.

It's not like a guy pissing in an olympic style swimming pool is doing a lot of damage, but that's because of the volume of water.

That's my point, but your initial reaction was an over reaction. Obviously it's unhealthly to piss in the pool, but it's not going to kill anyone. At the most it will cause eye and throat irritation.

Something for the novices to remember is that if you strongly smell the chlorine it's probably not a clean pool. You shouldn't smell strong chlorine when a pool is clean and right.

Planetman
08-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Well, apparently the word is out. Prior to their events, the entire U.S.A. high diving team is now going to start peeing in the pool too, ... from the diving board.

Time's Yours
08-09-2012, 06:00 PM
You need to get that chemical that turns pee blue!

Haha, we've definitely discussed that (but I'm probably happier not knowing).

WV
08-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Well, apparently the word is out. Prior to their events, the entire U.S.A. high diving team is now going to start peeing in the pool too, ... from the diving board.

That would be a pretty entertaining, it would be very interesting seeing the womens team squat off the high dive. Assuming they are of age of course.

Planetman
08-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Haha, we've definitely discussed that (but I'm probably happier not knowing).
http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.asp

Rain Man
08-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I neither needed nor wanted to know this.

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 06:05 PM
That's my point, but your initial reaction was an over reaction. Obviously it's unhealthly to piss in the pool, but it's not going to kill anyone. At the most it will cause eye and throat irritation.

Something for the novices to remember is that if you strongly smell the chlorine it's probably not a clean pool. You shouldn't smell strong chlorine when a pool is clean and right.

I admit to exaggeration.

The eye and throat irritation is caused by chloromines, which is how chlorine reacts to ammonia.

The chlorine smell you talk about is from evaporated chloromines. That smell? It doesn't just stink. It's toxic and has been linked to lung cancer.

Pissing in a pool is like smoking in a non-smokers car and blowing smoke in their face. It won't kill you or them, but you're still an asshole.

Planetman
08-09-2012, 06:06 PM
That would be a pretty entertaining, it would be very interesting seeing the womens team squat off the high dive. Assuming they are of age of course.
You do realize some women can piss standing up, don't you?

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 06:07 PM

Yup.

Chances are that anything that reacts to piss will react the same way to sweat.

Planetman
08-09-2012, 06:10 PM
I neither needed nor wanted to know this.
Tell me which CP member forced you to open the thread and I'll send Phelps over to their house to pee in their pool!!!

Rain Man
08-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Tell me which CP member forced you to open the thread and I'll send Phelps over to their house to pee in their pool!!!

I blame it on my insatiable hunger for knowledge.

Planetman
08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I blame it on my insatiable hunger for knowledge.
Do you feel smarter now than you did before opening the thread?

WV
08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I admit to exaggeration.

The eye and throat irritation is caused by chloromines, which is how chlorine reacts to ammonia.

The chlorine smell you talk about is from evaporated chloromines. That smell? It doesn't just stink. It's toxic and has been linked to lung cancer.

Pissing in a pool is like smoking in a non-smokers car and blowing smoke in their face. It won't kill you or them, but you're still an asshole.

Totally agree and I'd hope people would get out to take a piss if they are old enough to know better.

You do realize some women can piss standing up, don't you?

Stop ruining the mental image. :cuss:

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Totally agree and I'd hope people would get out to take a piss if they are old enough to know better.

Stop ruining the mental image. :cuss:

I'm prone to hyperbole when trying to make a point.

cdcox
08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Urine is sterile.

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Urine is sterile.

Yes it is. Also, the sky is blue.

Nobody is talking about bacteria in urine though.

Time's Yours
08-09-2012, 06:29 PM

Well that settles that discussion.

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Whitewhale:

White Knighting for pool owners, every...

:)

Time's Yours
I admit to exaggeration.

So what about the $100 part? If I put $100 worth of chlorine in the pool it would probably kill someone. That's about what I spend in a year on chlorine (big bucket from Sam's Club).

-King-
I would not feel comfortable peeing in the pool wearing speedos.

barry_smilez20
08-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I pay hookers hundreds of dollars weekly to come over and piss on me. I guess I'm screwed.

Tribal Warfare
08-09-2012, 06:43 PM
<iframe src="http://www.funnyordie.com/embed/bbf2c287fe" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe><div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:640px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/bbf2c287fe/peeing-in-pools-with-ryan-lochte" title="from Ryan Lochte, NickCorirossi, Charles Ingram, Brian Lane, Betsy Koch, and Funny Or Die">Peeing in Pools with Ryan Lochte</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/ryan_lochte">Ryan Lochte</a> <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=138711277798&amp;href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.funnyordie.com%2Fvideos%2Fbbf2c287fe%2Fpeeing-in-pools-with-ryan-lochte&amp;send=false&amp;layout=button_count&amp;width=150&amp;show_faces=false&amp;action=like&amp;height=21" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:90px; height:21px; vertical-align:middle;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>
</div>

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 06:43 PM
So what about the $100 part? If I put $100 worth of chlorine in the pool it would probably kill someone. That's about what I spend in a year on chlorine (big bucket from Sam's Club).

Also hyperbole.

I have however had to add 35lbs of shock to a 25000 gallon pool to untie the chlorine after a piss party at someone's pool.

Great Expectations
08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
What is the effect of jumping in a pool after mowing the yard? Or playing an intense volleyball game and sweating in the pool?

WhiteWhale
08-09-2012, 06:54 PM
What is the effect of jumping in a pool after mowing the yard? Or playing an intense volleyball game and sweating in the pool?

Similar, but not as intense.

It's actually advised to shower before using a pool, but I don't know ANYONE who actually does that. I don't.

Ceej
08-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Some times I like to mix things up and drop a poopy, poo log in the pool.

Stir things up a bit.

Johnny Vegas
08-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Similar, but not as intense.

It's actually advised to shower before using a pool, but I don't know ANYONE who actually does that. I don't.

I always take a quick shower before I get in a pool. I never thought of it for that reason it was just to shock my body with cold water so I could jump in to a somewhat warmer temp in the pool because I hate being hot and dry and jumping into a 80 degree pool.

notorious
08-09-2012, 07:19 PM
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=5057792796723899&id=3e1541cdf6016f7660396a982d420fe0

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4726006593750270&id=50ec37f606e775d9daa8c9828d2c75e4

splatbass
08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Dude's got 18 gold medals. He can pee wherever he wants.

This.

gblowfish
08-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Phelps also likes to leave an upper decker at parties.

Mike in SW-MO
08-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Chloramines are frequently used in drinking water systems as a disinfectant. They are not carcinogenic. There are disinfection biproducts such as trihalomethane that are.

Chhloroamines come in mono-chloroamine, di,and tri isotopes. The more chlorines in the isotope, the more irritating it is at lower concentrations. This causes taste and odor complaints in drinking water systems. This brings out state regulators, which operators do not like.

Free chlorine is a more effective disinfectant and less irritating at higher concentrations. Frequently, if a pool has a strong chlorine odor, it shows the presence of chloramines and increasing the chlorine will drive the reaction to full oxidation, breaking the chloroamines into chlorine and nitrogen gas. However, it does not mean that chloramines cause cancer.

If you are putting 35 pounds of shock into a 25K pool, you have other issues besides ammonia. The chlorine reacts with anything in the pool. That determines the dose rate. You put in enough chlorine to completely react and establish the desired residual chlorine concentration. The chlorine load includes any metals in the water, monocellular organisms (remember the disinfection bi-products). The normal dose rate is 1 pound per 10K water. Double it for a super shock rate. My pool is 24K and I typically add 3 pounds per week. The most I have ever put in after finding a green pool after a week summer vacation, was 10 pounds.

08-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Who gives a shit, errrrr I mean piss?

rico
08-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Saying

Stopped reading here.

rico
08-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Who gives a shit, errrrr I mean piss?

Lol, I would have guessed that someone who claims to not pee in the shower would be appalled by this.

Imon Yourside
08-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Phelps also likes to leave an upper decker at parties.

Who doesn't?

lcarus
08-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Phelps and Lochte pee in the pool. Matt Cassel shits his pants on the field. Athletes these days...

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Urine is sterile, so pull your tampon out of your collective asses and deal with it

cosmo20002
08-10-2012, 12:41 AM

What's the rate for a dump?

cosmo20002
08-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Bottom-line this thing.

Your average public pool with your average-type people in it. A few are going to piss, water comes into contact with various orifices, swishes around, and re-circulates, people bring in their oil, dirt, sweat and scabs, etc. Is all this ok, or should these breeding grounds of filth be filled with dirt and banned in the name of public health?

BWillie
08-10-2012, 01:17 AM
What about shitting in the pool? I do this all the time. I'll listen to your thoughts off the air. Thanks.

TimeForWasp
08-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Death pool.

08-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Bottom-line this thing.

Your average public pool with your average-type people in it. A few are going to piss, water comes into contact with various orifices, swishes around, and re-circulates, people bring in their oil, dirt, sweat and scabs, etc. Is all this ok, or should these breeding grounds of filth be filled with dirt and banned in the name of public health?

Yet people like to put that water in their mouth too.

Otter
08-10-2012, 01:58 AM

/pool expert

How do you 'kill' pee? Urine is sterile and non-living.

OctoberFart
08-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Lochte and Phelps might piss in the pool and you know they are banging a bunch of broads over there.

notorious
08-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Chloramines are frequently used in drinking water systems as a disinfectant. They are not carcinogenic. There are disinfection biproducts such as trihalomethane that are.

Chhloroamines come in mono-chloroamine, di,and tri isotopes. The more chlorines in the isotope, the more irritating it is at lower concentrations. This causes taste and odor complaints in drinking water systems. This brings out state regulators, which operators do not like.

Free chlorine is a more effective disinfectant and less irritating at higher concentrations. Frequently, if a pool has a strong chlorine odor, it shows the presence of chloramines and increasing the chlorine will drive the reaction to full oxidation, breaking the chloroamines into chlorine and nitrogen gas. However, it does not mean that chloramines cause cancer.

If you are putting 35 pounds of shock into a 25K pool, you have other issues besides ammonia. The chlorine reacts with anything in the pool. That determines the dose rate. You put in enough chlorine to completely react and establish the desired residual chlorine concentration. The chlorine load includes any metals in the water, monocellular organisms (remember the disinfection bi-products). The normal dose rate is 1 pound per 10K water. Double it for a super shock rate. My pool is 24K and I typically add 3 pounds per week. The most I have ever put in after finding a green pool after a week summer vacation, was 10 pounds.

Chiefsplanet, meet Walter White.

Rain Man
08-10-2012, 11:00 AM
What I want to know is whether it's safe to put aspartame in a swimming pool. Does anyone know of an expert who can address this?

Planetman
08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
What I want to know is whether it's safe to put aspartame in a swimming pool. Does anyone know of an expert who can address this?
Aspartame good. Saccharine bad.

Kclee
08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Urine is sterile.

It's only sterile in your bladder. Once it gets to your urethra it is not. And I guess it's only sterile in your bladder if you don't have a urinary track infection.

ChiefRocka
08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Urine trouble now...