PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink NEW messaging app, need testers and feedback!

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 04:36 AM
ok, so I had another hairbrained idea and decided to try and see if I could do it. After exactly two weeks of learning the Android SDK and relearning Java.. I think I may have something worth testing.

Here is the basic idea...

In a town like Austin, you have a ton of youngish people who go out a lot. They also tend to go all over to different spots depending on whats going on, specials, etc... So, my idea was to make an app that facilitates that. Basically like an instant Evite/Facebook event type of thing.

So the app installs on your phone (Android right now, if it doesn't suck I'll add iPhone and Windows) then you can create groups from your phone's contact list. Now, when you decide to go out, you click the app, click a group, then you get a screen where you pick a day/time and you get a dropdown of LOCATIONS... these are prepopulated based on your area. (right now it is hardcoded to Austin but could be anywhere) .. when you pick a location (bar) it shows you info on the place and what is going on, then you can hit NEXT and send the prepolulated message. The message reads like "I'm headed to %LOCATION% around %TIME/DAY%. You should join me! -%name%" It then adds a LINK to the bottom that says "click here to let me know if your coming"

This is the cool part. The people you sent to will get a text with a unique link that they can click and get a mobile page where they see the same bar info with a map link and a yes/no button to let you know if they are coming. They can also click to see who else is coming and if those people have said yes/no or not responded yet.

That's the basic gist of it.. there is a lot more and future plans.. if it doesn't suck. What do you guys think so far?

APK for android phones http://www.rucom.in/apk/MeetMeOut.apk

MOCK UP is now online at http://rucom.in/mock/index.html

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 04:41 AM
OH, almost forgot. It also instantly sends a notification to your phone to let you know who responded and if you click it, open the app to the RSVP page to show you who is coming.

I had to buy a shortish URL to use for the links.. so I got RUCOM.IN .. so at the bottom of the text it will read like...

"Click below to let me know... http://RUCOM.IN/4x2g I plan to work on the .htaccess file and set it so it will instead look like RUCOM.IN?--6d76

The data is all pulled from EventZombie and eventually I plan to integrate it into the app so you can browse EventZombie until you find a spot then have a button on the page to let you directly launch the app and send invites.

Shogun
08-12-2012, 04:41 AM
So its like Foursquare?

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 04:50 AM
So its like Foursquare?

You're the second person to say that. I have worked with 4square(in their API) since they started at SXSW a few years back and I don't see much similarity. 4square only lets you know where someone is AFTER the fact and has no true interactivity. It's not like I see a friend has checked in somewhere so I rush across town to meet them. but yeah I need to address the confusion on that point because obviously people THINK it is similar.

This is much closer to Evite except text message based and much simpler/easier.

On a side note.. I did a test to see if it truly save times/hassle.

On a standard Android phone to send a group message you have to 1)open text messaging 2)create new 3)open contacts 4)open groups 5)pick the group 6) pick members of group (we'll assume one click on SELECT ALL) 7) confirm 8) type your message 9)hit send

Not a huge hassle but not exactly streamlined

With this app you 1)open app 2)click MEET UP 3)click the group 4)pick time 5) pick date (it is set for NOW already so you could skip these steps, most times skipping the day at least) 6) pick location 7)click next 8)edit prepolulated message (again most times skipped) 9)click send

so AT MOST it's the same number of steps but normally it is a few steps less and you don't have to type out the message.. and of course the real advantage is that you get bar info at you fingertips AND the people you send to get the same info and map etc AND it tracks it all so you know who is coming.

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 04:54 AM
It also lets' you add custom location that will be saved for future use.. so you could put "Phil's Turkish Bath" and then next time you use the app it is in the dropdown list for your convenience.

I'll probably also add a way to save custom messages in case you don;t like the default one... of course you can always edit it before sending either way.

Shogun
08-12-2012, 04:55 AM
Well it sounds like it could be helpful. Whenever its ready i'd try it out and see what its all about

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Well it sounds like it could be helpful. Whenever its ready i'd try it out and see what its all about

cool! I have a rough ALPHA on my phone now.. but it is very rough right now. It will be awhile before I am at a point to make it look nice, right now I just want it functional. BUT I'd love to get some feedback before I go much further. I'll try to get an APK up shortly.

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Ok here is the APK...

WARNING! This has only been tested on my phone (Samsung Galaxy SII) and various emulators.

Also, it REALLY sends text messages, so you may want to make a test contact that has you own phone number and add just that contact to your test group. That is how I am testing and it works fine and let's you see both sides of what is going on.

OK.. the APK is at http://www.rucom.in/apk/MeetMeOut.apk

To install it, just go to that link on your phone and it will download the file. Once the file is downloaded, just click it and it should install.

Gonzo
08-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Ok here is the APK...

WARNING! This has only been tested on my phone (Samsung Galaxy SII) and various emulators.

Also, it REALLY sends text messages, so you may want to make a test contact that has you own phone number and add just that contact to your test group. That is how I am testing and it works fine and let's you see both sides of what is going on.

OK.. the APK is at http://www.rucom.in/apk/MeetMeOut.apk

To install it, just go to that link on your phone and it will download the file. Once the file is downloaded, just click it and it should install.
No good with IPhone, (safari issue).
I'm sure you knew that but just wanted to make sure.

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 06:46 AM
No good with IPhone, (safari issue).
I'm sure you knew that but just wanted to make sure.

oh yeah, DON'T download the apk for iPhone.. APKs are just Android apps.. I will make an iPhone version if this one seems viable. Problem with iPhone is that I will have to buy a freakin Mac to do it... they only let you program on Macs. bastards!

What's cool about this app is that it will still work for SENDING to people with ANY type of phone that can receive texts and get online. So even though you can't use the app to send, if I sent you an invite you could click the link and RSVP anyway.

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 06:49 AM
OH, and right after I put the APK up I realized that I left a major issue unresolved... upgrades! I just added a new section to the code that lets me send a secret message out to anyone with the app that forces them to upgrade next time they use it. This way if a bunch of people download it to beta test and then I change a ton of stuff... it won;t just BREAK the app but instead let them know to d/l a new apk.

(That's what I've been doing the last hour)

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Anyone who doesn't want to test the app, can at least see what the text would look like when you click the link.

This works on desktops but is formatted for phones.. so it'll be much better if you use your phone to open it.

http://rucom.in/f

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 07:31 AM
JUST A HEADS UP.. I know the UI is crap. This is just a test of functionality... that said, I'd love any feedback anyone has regarding how it should look or the general flow of things.

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
No one daring enough to try it on their phone yet?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-12-2012, 07:41 PM
No one daring enough to try it on their phone yet?

Can I try it on a GoPhone? How about a rotary landline?

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Can I try it on a GoPhone? How about a rotary landline?

GoPhone?

http://2.ecom.attccc.com/catalog/en/skus/images/packages/packages-sku5810232-450x350.png

Why yes, yes you can!

kysirsoze
08-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I'll try it out.

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 08:00 PM
I'll try it out.

word of warning, it is splitting up long text messages which is fine except that it sometimes splits the URL .. I'm working on a fix for that right now, should have an updated version in a few.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-12-2012, 08:02 PM
GoPhone?

http://2.ecom.attccc.com/catalog/en/skus/images/packages/packages-sku5810232-450x350.png

Why yes, yes you can!

If only my GoPhone was smartish... It's the Blackberry ripoff lol.

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 08:08 PM
If only my GoPhone was smartish... It's the Blackberry ripoff lol.

well if a friend (you have A friend right?) uses the app and send you an invite, you at least will see it as a text and can click the link and see the mobile page with info. (your phone has internet right? :D)

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
well if a friend (you have A friend right?) uses the app and send you an invite, you at least will see it as a text and can click the link and see the mobile page with info. (your phone has internet right? :D)

I have a friend as long as I'm not late with the monthly payment. Yes I have internet. I've even used it 2 or 3 times.

:D

I'm not your target audience (shocker I know) I just thought my GoPhone post would be funny. Then you ruined it.

Sigh.

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
ok fixed it and update the APK.. now it won't split text on the URL (if it has to split text at all)

AustinChief
08-12-2012, 08:42 PM
BeerMe's post gave me an idea... (you're good for something!) Anyone who doesn't have an Android or just doesn't want to install some strange app to test... can at least test on the receiving side.. if they want. SOOO, if anyone PMs me their number I'll create a CP group to send a test to. (I promise I will just send the test and won't send naked pics of Phil.)

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-12-2012, 08:45 PM
BeerMe's post gave me an idea... (you're good for something!) Anyone who doesn't have an Android or just doesn't want to install some strange app to test... can at least test on the receiving side.. if they want. SOOO, if anyone PMs me their number I'll create a CP group to send a test to. (I promise I will just send the test and won't send naked pics of Phil.)

That's the nicest thing anyone here has said to me in a long time.

Thank you.

AustinChief
08-13-2012, 01:29 AM
ok, so I am doing some cleanup type of things now... but I have questions...

For old meet ups/invites... how long should they stay in the local db? 24 hours past time of meet? 6 hours? 12? Right now it deletes anything older then 24 hours.. but I'm thinking I need to shorten it.

I'm also adding a CANCEL function.. so you can go to your list of pending invites and click CANCEL and it will delete the invite and send out a text to everyone invited.. letting them know you cancelled. Although I may wait on this... I'm trying to think of a way the invitees can still let each other they plan to meet up without the "host" if they want to.

I got all sorts of white people problems.

kepp
08-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Does it notify the nearest Kirby sales person of the meet location? That might be a good option.

AustinChief
08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
So, has anyone downloaded this and tested it out?

Today I'm learning/working on UI elements like an action bar and such... it should start to look drastically different quickly.

Setsuna
08-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Do you need your GPS on?

AustinChief
08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Do you need your GPS on?

Nope. Right now it's hard coded to think you are in Austin. Eventually I'll add the ability to select a "home" area to use and also a gps enabled button that lets you choose a new area based on current location. But for now, no GPS.

Setsuna
08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Oh ok. What do you want me to do?

AustinChief
08-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Oh ok. What do you want me to do?

Well, if you have an Android phone... just download the APK ( http://www.rucom.in/apk/MeetMeOut.apk ) and then test out the app.
(You may have to change the setting on your phone to allow direct app installs.. something like "Unknown Sources")

The easiest way to test it without sending actual texts to friends is as follows...

Create a new TEST contact in your phone and just put your own phone number

Then when you open the app and create a "group" to send to, just add that TEST as the only member.

Now you can test away! This way you'll get the text and be able to click the link and see both sides of things.... then come back and tell me what sucks and needs fixin!

Setsuna
08-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Hmmm....that is actually pretty cool. It all went smoothly. If anything, it's just aesthetics you need to change. It all looks fine to me.

Setsuna
08-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Now when you check Eventzombie. Is there any way, that if you see an event you like, that you can click on it from there and have it used for the text in one click?

Setsuna
08-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Oh and when you want choose your venues, what's up with the 4 choices already there? Id there a reason for them or what? If anything you could probably have people write in their own venue and then add that to the list for quicker access maybe? Idk.

AustinChief
08-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Now when you check Eventzombie. Is there any way, that if you see an event you like, that you can click on it from there and have it used for the text in one click?

Good call.. that is actually on my list right now.. it's not the easiest thing to do because EventZombie is a separate mobile site not inside the app itself... but I am hoping to get that done in phase 2. Although if I get bored with working on the UI this week I may just switch to that.

AustinChief
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Oh and when you want choose your venues, what's up with the 4 choices already there? Id there a reason for them or what? If anything you could probably have people write in their own venue and then add that to the list for quicker access maybe? Idk.

You already can choose CUSTOM and save a location for future use.. you can save as many CUSTOM spots as you want. The VENUES already on the list are clients of mine. That is why when you click on one you get a pic, info, daily specials and hopefully at some point they would offer a special "EventZombie MeetMeOut "deal" for people who come in based on using the app. That is how I plan to monetize the app. Bar and restaurant clients using my services will get to be on the preloaded list with all their info front and center.

AustinChief
08-13-2012, 05:48 PM
BTW.. thanks a TON for testing it out. Do you know what version of Android you are running? I want to keep a list of versions it has been tested on.

Setsuna
08-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Ahhh ok, makes sense. Umm it's 2.2.2 Froyo build. Pretty basic.

AustinChief
08-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Ahhh ok, makes sense. Umm it's 2.2.2 Froyo build. Pretty basic.

PERFECT! I actually need more older version testing it. It is set to run on anything 2.1 and above. In theory I could probably get it to work all the way back to 1.6 but not much point in that.

Setsuna
08-13-2012, 06:47 PM
PERFECT! I actually need more older version testing it. It is set to run on anything 2.1 and above. In theory I could probably get it to work all the way back to 1.6 but not much point in that.

LOL. 1.6 is old school. But my phone is Samsung Gravity S. It is an entry level Android smart phone. It does it's job.

Javabean
08-14-2012, 09:17 PM

You're right; there's no point in doing that. I released an app about 18 months ago that's around 20,000 installs now, and it has only 20 installs on all versions prior to 2.1.

Good luck with your app!

AustinChief
08-21-2012, 03:57 AM
OK! I have a mock up of the app on the web now. That way you can test it out without actually testing it out and installing it on your phone. Although, if you COULD download it and install it on your phone, that would be a MAJOR help so I can make sure it works on all phones.

(just remember that if you do that it WILL send actual texts, so add yourself as a dummy contact to test or PM me and I'll send my number to use as a test receiver)

I would LOVE any feedback even if it is just about the mock up and usability.

It's still very rough and needs a ton of style work.. but I think it's basically ready to go BETA.

Since my last post I have added a ton of new features as well.

The mock up can be found here ... http://rucom.in/mock/index.html

griZZly64
08-21-2012, 04:27 AM
Does it notify the nearest Kirby sales person of the meet location? That might be a good option.

literally made me bust up

AustinChief
08-21-2012, 06:13 PM
bump for feedback.

Setsuna
08-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I'll mess with it tomorrow. Do I have to delete the old one or will it overwrite when I DL it?

AustinChief
08-21-2012, 08:26 PM
I'll mess with it tomorrow. Do I have to delete the old one or will it overwrite when I DL it?

It overwrites it.

THANKS AGAIN MAN! I appreciate it!

Setsuna
08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Alright I compared the mock up to the old one. I see the border lines are now green instead of blue. Nice touch. I saw that you changed from Day/Time to When. Less is more. Cool. I see where all the work has gone. You made Event Zombie accessible within the app. THAT is huge. The venues are alphabetized when you list them by venue. Then you have the map feature as well. Pretty darn convenient. Now with this map feature. Does it use your built in phone map or what? I'd say overall this app could blow up dude. I'd be using this all the time.

Just one more question. Now let's just say I knew of an event that wasn't even listed, is there a way to manually create one within the app and then use it in the app? Is EventZombie like a user submitted site or do venues themselves place these things on the site? Because if it is the former, then we could just make the event on there and go about our business. Oh and it is very straightforward but people are dumb and you need a detailed tutorial when the app starts, with the option to view it or start using the app immediately. Again...sick app!

Edit: More work for you. Just a thought for later development. When this app spreads like wildfire, you could possibly start doing skins or themes. I know for one thing, a Florida Gator theme/skin would make me :whackit: all day. Promise. :D

AustinChief
08-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Alright I compared the mock up to the old one. I see the border lines are now green instead of blue. Nice touch. I saw that you changed from Day/Time to When. Less is more. Cool. I see where all the work has gone. You made Event Zombie accessible within the app. THAT is huge. The venues are alphabetized when you list them by venue. Then you have the map feature as well. Pretty darn convenient. Now with this map feature. Does it use your built in phone map or what? I'd say overall this app could blow up dude. I'd be using this all the time.

Just one more question. Now let's just say I knew of an event that wasn't even listed, is there a way to manually create one within the app and then use it in the app? Is EventZombie like a user submitted site or do venues themselves place these things on the site? Because if it is the former, then we could just make the event on there and go about our business. Oh and it is very straightforward but people are dumb and you need a detailed tutorial when the app starts, with the option to view it or start using the app immediately. Again...sick app!

Edit: More work for you. Just a thought for later development. When this app spreads like wildfire, you could possibly start doing skins or themes. I know for one thing, a Florida Gator theme/skin would make me :whackit: all day. Promise. :D

The map uses Google's map api. I opted to go that route for consistency between the website and app.

The app doesn't do custom events but it DOES let you put in custom LOCATIONS and even let's you save them for future use. EventZombie doesn't do user submitted events, it currently grabs all the events from a local source and directly from Facebook. I have been thinking about ways to add more events and I think you've pushed me over the edge to actually do something about it! Here is my first thought... any user can create or find a Facebook Event and submit THAT to the system and either tie it to a location or input a custom location for it. Would that work?

Great idea on the tutorial! I'll try to get something up before I release the public beta.

ANOTHER great idea on themes/skins! You're right, I can wait and do those later... BUT I need to go through the code and make sure it is "prepped" for when that feature is ready.

Once again, thanks a ton for the help!

Setsuna
08-22-2012, 02:09 PM
The map uses Google's map api. I opted to go that route for consistency between the website and app.

The app doesn't do custom events but it DOES let you put in custom LOCATIONS and even let's you save them for future use. EventZombie doesn't do user submitted events, it currently grabs all the events from a local source and directly from Facebook. I have been thinking about ways to add more events and I think you've pushed me over the edge to actually do something about it! Here is my first thought... any user can create or find a Facebook Event and submit THAT to the system and either tie it to a location or input a custom location for it. Would that work?

Great idea on the tutorial! I'll try to get something up before I release the public beta.

ANOTHER great idea on themes/skins! You're right, I can wait and do those later... BUT I need to go through the code and make sure it is "prepped" for when that feature is ready.

Once again, thanks a ton for the help!
That would be boss man. That way if people make FB events, they can guarantee the people get it in time if it can be sent via text. I think that's top notch.

You're welcome man. I'd never have the patience nor skill to actually create an app like that or an app in general. Good luck. :)

AustinChief
08-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Just a reminder... the MOCK UP is now online at http://rucom.in/mock/index.html

so you can check it out and give me feedback without installing the app... although installing the app and testing it would be even cooler.... but I REALLY would appreciate any feedback.. I'm quickly running out of things to add/fix.

Bowser
08-23-2012, 06:08 PM
That's actually pretty sweet.

However, I noticed that you didn't have a Springfield group in your contacts. Why is that? :hmmm:

AustinChief
08-23-2012, 06:30 PM

However, I noticed that you didn't have a Springfield group in your contacts. Why is that? :hmmm:

hmmm, might be because they have't moved away from rotary phones yet in springpatch? :D

So... did anything jump out at you as a needing improvement?

I just added an iCal feature to let a person add the event to their calendar (with reminders) if they RSVP a yes. That's something I would have never thought of, but a buddy looked at the mock up and that was the first thing he noticed missing. So... I am scrounging for any and all feedback I can get before I declare it ready for a public beta test.

AustinChief
08-23-2012, 06:35 PM

OH, and THANKS a TON for taking the time to check it out!

Pushead2
08-23-2012, 06:35 PM
this seems like a cool app.

I like that you can hit a bunch of people with an idea and see if they're down with it.

AustinChief
08-23-2012, 06:51 PM
this seems like a cool app.

I like that you can hit a bunch of people with an idea and see if they're down with it.

Thanks man, if you have any ideas to add to the functionality just let me know!

Setsuna
08-23-2012, 08:38 PM
hmmm, might be because they have't moved away from rotary phones yet in springpatch? :D

So... did anything jump out at you as a needing improvement?

I just added an iCal feature to let a person add the event to their calendar (with reminders) if they RSVP a yes. That's something I would have never thought of, but a buddy looked at the mock up and that was the first thing he noticed missing. So... I am scrounging for any and all feedback I can get before I declare it ready for a public beta test.

I'm not the buddy am I? I am disappoint.

AustinChief
08-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm not the buddy am I? I am disappoint.

HA, no that was a buddy in Austin. Your contributions are well documented here and I really appreciate it. My biggest concern at this point is getting feedback. Programmers like myself tend to develop tunnel vision at this point in a project and it always helps a ton to get input.

AustinChief
08-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Just to be clear here... I would like any NEGATIVE feedback as well... I have had surprisingly little of it and I need it just as much.

I know some of you bastards are checking out the mock up... talk to me! :D