PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Crennel likes what he sees in Chiefs’ running game

Coogs
08-12-2012, 07:52 AM
By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Romeo Crennel had many things to like about the Chiefs’ preseason opener. If he had to pick a favorite, it might be a running game that registered 166 yards and two touchdowns in Friday night’s 27-17 win over Arizona.

The performance of the offensive line and running backs sparked hope in Crennel that the Chiefs could again lead the NFL in rushing, something they did when they won the AFC West championship in 2010.

“I think we (can),” Crennel said. “We have a great combination of backs. Our ability to use them how we deem necessary, what fits us the best, will go a long way for us. We’ve got a really fast guy. We’ve got a strong guy with speed and then we’ve got some slashers. It will cause defenses some problems in trying to prepare.”

The game was only in the preseason, and the first one at that, with both teams using plenty of young players. But there was still much for Crennel and the Chiefs to be encouraged about.

They had just five rushing touchdowns all last season and ran for more than 166 yards just once. They accomplished that against the Cardinals without much help from Jamaal Charles, who got the ball just four times in his first game back after tearing his ACL and having reconstructive surgery.

The running game fell apart without Charles last season. The Chiefs set out to bolster their depth at running back by signing Peyton Hillis and drafting Cyrus Gray.

The first quarter of the Arizona game was barely half over and already Hillis had begun to validate the Chiefs’ decision to make him a priority signing in free agency. He scored the Chiefs’ first touchdown on an 11-yard pass from Matt Cassel and set up their second score with a 28-yard run.

“That’s what I was hoping for when we signed him because he has shown that he has the ability to be a good runner, he can catch out of the backfield and he can block as well,” Crennel said. “I thought he showed us a little bit of that. He has his ability to get through the line, run through tackles, has great vision on making his cuts. He’s a good addition to the team.”

Gray, drafted in the sixth round out of Texas A&M, led the Chiefs with 65 rushing yards and scored a touchdown. One of the Chiefs’ most interesting roster decisions will be whether they keep four running backs and, if not, whether their third back is Gray or Shaun Draughn, who played some with the starters Friday night and scored the other rushing touchdown.

Crennel wouldn’t rule out keeping a fourth back, even though there appears to be little need for one.

“I’m not ruling out anything,” Crennel said. “When you have good talent on your team, you try to keep it. If we feel a fourth running back brings value to the team, then we’re going to try to keep him.”

The Chiefs hope to get the ball to Charles and Hillis a total of 500 or more times between runs and pass receptions. Even if they accomplish that, some work could be available to either Gray or Draughn.

“It might not be much work,” Crennel said. “I know the running back position is a tough one in the NFL. A lot of times those guys get bumps and bruises and they might have to sit for a minute or two. Having a third guy available that you can use is definitely a plus.”

The Chiefs’ goal for Charles on Friday night was merely to get him back to full-contact football. They accomplished that early in the game when he was hit in the knee he had rehabilitated and bounced right back up.

“It’s always good when you see No. 25 back there,” Cassel said. “He adds an element of explosiveness and he’s a guy who every time he touches the ball has a chance to go all the way. So to have him back out there running around and looking like old Jamaal, it was great.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/11/3757836/crennel-likes-what-he-sees-in.html#storylink=cpy

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-12-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm really excited about the addition of Peyton Hillis. He can truly be a beast.

Coogs
08-12-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm really excited about the addition of Peyton Hillis. He can truly be a beast.

Me too. All 4 backs looked good, and the line including the depth at line did a nice job with the running game. It's going to be a must if our Play Action passing game is going to have any teeth.

FWIW, I love this style of offense. I might be in the minority, but I love this style.

Urc Burry
08-12-2012, 08:08 AM
After going back and looking at the box score you would never guess Draughn's stats. I thought he looked good, and I hope we find a way to keep him and Gray

milkman
08-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Me too. All 4 backs looked good, and the line including the depth at line did a nice job with the running game. It's going to be a must if our Play Action passing game is going to have any teeth.

FWIW, I love this style of offense. I might be in the minority, but I love this style.

I've said that if you can build a team that can run the ball and play defense, even in this day and age, if you have a QB that can make plays when you need him to, then you can beat anyone anytime.

Scott Pioli has built a roster that compete with any team in the league at this point.

If we hd a Matt Schaub level QB, we would be ligitimately in the SB mix.

BoneKrusher
08-12-2012, 08:14 AM
the Rushing attack looked superb.
i read a piece on Cyrus Gray during the draft and saw several experts compared him to Curtis Martin...
that's good company.

FlaChief58
08-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Although I don't think the SB is realistic given our QB, it's not like teams have never won it with a subpar qb. With the talent on this team, I think they can cover up many of matty's flaws. If he can be a decent game manager, this team has a shot at going deep into the playoffs

milkman
08-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Although I don't think the SB is realistic given our QB, but it's not like teams have never won it with a subpar qb. With the talent on this team, I think they can cover up many of matty's flaws. If he can be a decent game manager, this team has a shot at going deep into the playoffs

Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and Jim McMahon are the only three subpar QBs that have won a SB, and none of those have come in the this new age of rules that favor the passing game, and make defense so much more difficult.

And I would argue that those three, while subpar, are still better than Cassel.

Bottom line, in today's NFL, you can't win without at least a top 15 QB, regardless how well your running game performs and your defense plays.

chiefzilla1501
08-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Although I don't think the SB is realistic given our QB, it's not like teams have never won it with a subpar qb. With the talent on this team, I think they can cover up many of matty's flaws. If he can be a decent game manager, this team has a shot at going deep into the playoffs

It's one thing to have a Matt Cassel. It's another thing to settle for Matt Cassel.

And the Chiefs' have shown a stubborn preference for the latter. That's what pisses people off. Making the mistake to go bold and trade for Cassel is one thing. But when it's 4 years later and the best you have to show for a true replacement is a 5th round QB and a 1st round QB with a questionable track record, we have problems.

And what worries Chiefs' fans about having a great running game, as crazy as that sounds, is that the better they look the more delusional our front office becomes about Matt Cassel being the answer. And that shit's gotta stop.

Coogs
08-12-2012, 08:34 AM
I've said that if you can build a team that can run the ball and play defense, even in this day and age, if you have a QB that can make plays when you need him to, then you can beat anyone anytime.

Scott Pioli has built a roster that compete with any team in the league at this point.

Yep. Cassel was at his 2010 best Friday night. No adversity, and the running game picked up 70+ yards in his two series. He is very good under those conditions.

He... or one of the other two... needs to show they can take the next step and carry the team when things are not going well.

Baldwin was only targeted once Friday. Moeaki, Boss, Breaston, and obviously Bowe were not targeted at all. And the offense still hummed right along. (Granted, we probably would punt on 4th and 1 from midfield in the regular season and not have put the first TD on the board).

Cassel has a lot of weapons... and what appears to be a much better O-line. It appears he has an OC that knows how to use weapons. Small sample space here, but he was effective late in Maimi too.

Adversity will be there at some point this season. Is Cassel up to the challange at that point. That's the 63 million dollar question.

Coogs
08-12-2012, 08:36 AM
It's one thing to have a Matt Cassel. It's another thing to settle for Matt Cassel.

And the Chiefs' have shown a stubborn preference for the latter. That's what pisses people off. Making the mistake to go bold and trade for Cassel is one thing. But when it's 4 years later and the best you have to show for a true replacement is a 5th round QB and a 1st round QB with a questionable track record, we have problems.

And what worries Chiefs' fans about having a great running game, as crazy as that sounds, is that the better they look the more delusional our front office becomes about Matt Cassel being the answer. And that shit's gotta stop.

Good post! :clap:

Start Croyle
08-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Well, this tells me all I need to know!

The reason the Chiefs were so bad with Herm was because Herm loved the running game! It just doesn't work anymore! In the NFL today, you live by the pass and die by the pass. If you rely on running, you aren't going anywhere!

Great. Another year of the Chiefs playing an outdated football style and going 8-8 at best!

milkman
08-12-2012, 09:46 AM

The reason the Chiefs were so bad with Herm was because Herm loved the running game! It just doesn't work anymore! In the NFL today, you live by the pass and die by the pass. If you rely on running, you aren't going anywhere!

Great. Another year of the Chiefs playing an outdated football style and going 8-8 at best!

The 2011 Texans disagree with your absolute moronacy.

milkman
08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
As do the 2011 9ers and Ravens.

Rausch
08-12-2012, 09:48 AM
As do the 2011 9ers and Ravens.

At this point I'd $#it my pants if we even made a champ'chips game...

Rausch
08-12-2012, 09:50 AM

That's a keeper.

Judges?...

FlaChief58
08-12-2012, 09:54 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IYZSi_x5q-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SDKCCHIEFS
08-12-2012, 09:54 AM
^^ I agree with Milkman.. and the donkeys got 2 a second playoff game with tim teblow running the nfl's lead rushing attack. so yes ur moronacy is definitely on display.

Rausch
08-12-2012, 09:58 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IYZSi_x5q-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A guy dressed like a clown kicking me in teh scrotes?

Fuck the cameras, beatings without mercy are to be handed out...

FlaChief58
08-12-2012, 10:01 AM
A guy dressed like a clown kicking me in teh scrotes?

Fuck the cameras, beatings without mercy are to be handed out...

ROFL

TLO
08-12-2012, 10:01 AM

He looks like a good version of Jackie Battle.

Rausch
08-12-2012, 10:04 AM
He looks like a good version of Jackie Battle.

Bump
08-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Hillis & Gray >>>>>> 2 yd Jones & Battle

boogblaster
08-12-2012, 12:13 PM
run da ball ... play good D ... pass when its needed .. score in the red-zone ... we have a chance in most of our schedule this year .....

saphojunkie
08-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Why is there this big question of keeping four running backs? We did last year:

Charles, Jones, Battle, McClain, McCluster. All dressed for week one.

Ace Gunner
08-12-2012, 01:24 PM
The team played good, they seemed to run the ball with ease. The Cardinals are not a real good team right now -- take this performance with that in mind.

DonTellMeShowMe
08-13-2012, 08:12 PM

What's that you say?
http://sfbayview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/‘The-Grab’-by-49ers-tight-end-Vernon-Davis-on-14-yd-Alex-Smith-pass-over-Saints-strong-safety-Roman-Harper-to-win-playoff-011512-by-Paul-Sakuma1.jpg

Pasta Little Brioni
08-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Salley and Wiley laughed at Herm on SportsNation for suggesting the Chiefs would have a strong running game with Charles and Hillis being 1k backs each. Morons.

TEX
08-14-2012, 08:38 AM

For ONCE we agree! :clap:

Amnorix
08-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and Jim McMahon are the only three subpar QBs that have won a SB, and none of those have come in the this new age of rules that favor the passing game, and make defense so much more difficult.

And I would argue that those three, while subpar, are still better than Cassel.

Bottom line, in today's NFL, you can't win without at least a top 15 QB, regardless how well your running game performs and your defense plays.

I agree with your analysis regarding the new age of rules, etc., but your list of subpar QBs is a bit off IMHO.

Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien should be added to the list. That said, those guys were also 20+ years ago, so...

CoMoChief
08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I agree with your analysis regarding the new age of rules, etc., but your list of subpar QBs is a bit off IMHO.

Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien should be added to the list. That said, those guys were also 20+ years ago, so...

don't forget rex grossman

Deberg_1990
08-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Milk speaks the truth!

Last 10 winning SB QBs:

THREE TITLES: Tom Brady.

TWO TITLES: Ben Roethlisberger.

ONE TITLE: Drew Brees, Brad Johnson, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers.

And that doesnt mention the losing QBs were some of those guys as well.

Whoarethechefs
08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
don't forget rex grossman

And Phil Simms, and Joe Namath, and Jim Plunkett,

JohnnyV13
08-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Joe Namath wasn't mediocre.

Yes, his stats look bad now. And, he didn't stay in his prime for long due to multiple knee operations back when doctors laid open the whole knee with big incisions.

But, go watch Super Bowl 3 on NFL replay sometime. Namath controlled that game, both with his arm and his play calling (yes, Namath called his own plays).

Namath was before my time too, but in Super Bowl 3 Namath marched the Jets up and down the field---holding the ball like a latter day West Coast offense. Remember, the Colts were widely considered to be in the discussion for best defense in NFL history before the game.

The Jets put up 337 yards of total offense in an era without a play clock, against a great statistical defense.

Coogs
08-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Milk speaks the truth!

Last 10 winning SB QBs:

THREE TITLES: Tom Brady.

TWO TITLES: Ben Roethlisberger.

ONE TITLE: Drew Brees, Brad Johnson, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers.

And that doesnt mention the losing QBs were some of those guys as well.

Actually Eli as won a pair. I'm not sure, but I believe you have to throw Brad Johnson off of your list.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-14-2012, 03:36 PM

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv252/raisedonriots/welldoneclap-Copy.gif