PDA

View Full Version : Football Ryan Mathews likely out until October

thabear04
08-16-2012, 02:18 PM
When Dr. Neil Ghodadra sat down with "NFL Fantasy LIVE" guru Jason Smith this week, a healthy dose of doom and gloom was dumped upon the viewing public.

Addressing Ryan Mathews' return from a broken clavicle, the former team doctor for the Chicago White Sox and Chicago Bulls suggested we might not see the San Diego Chargers running back until October. Mathews had talked about returning prior to the regular season, so what gives?

"It takes six weeks for the bone to heal," Ghodadra said. "Even after you fix it with the clavicle plate and screws, the bone still has to heal, so you are looking at six weeks for that at minimum. Studies have shown 8.8 weeks is how long it takes for NFL players to get back from clavicle fractures."

Buck
08-16-2012, 02:22 PM
I figured it would take longer. Even if the bone healed by the beginning of the regular season, his strength wouldn't be there right away.

Quesadilla Joe
08-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Good news for the Broncos. They play the Chargers week 4.

Munson
Brodie Croyle laughs at his lack of durability.

Rain Man
That's okay. They can just use Tolbert and Sproles. Norv knows how to stockpile talent.

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Does anyone really fear Mathews anyways? :shrug:

the Talking Can
08-16-2012, 02:25 PM
so, 8 weeks until his next injury...

Rain Man
08-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Good news for the Broncos. They play the Chargers week 4.

No running game means more passing, which will help Wolfe in his pursuit of the single-season sack record.

Buehler445
That's okay. They can just use Tolbert and Sproles. Norv knows how to stockpile talent.

ROFL

Sofa King

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UBztjzDr0fM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 02:27 PM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/43/i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Ceej
08-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Who is their backup RB?

Hester?

Micjones
08-16-2012, 02:32 PM
He was a load last year. I certainly never root for a player to get injured, but it'll be nice to only have to see him once this season.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 02:33 PM
I forgot about Battle and McClain.

LMAO

DTLB58
08-16-2012, 02:35 PM

No kidding. Everyone talks like this guy is a young LT. He was just his failed replacement. He has done nothing in the NFL.

Like Parcells said. "Potential will get coaches fired, I want to see production."

the Talking Can
08-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Who is their backup RB?

Hester?

ahem...

http://fantasyfurnace.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/jackie-battle.jpg

Micjones
08-16-2012, 02:42 PM

Fear? No. Respect? Absolutely.

Against the Chiefs last season:
44 touches | 261 yards from scrimmage | 5.9 yards per touch | 2 TD's

ModSocks
08-16-2012, 02:44 PM
ahem...

http://fantasyfurnace.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/jackie-battle.jpg

Nah.

Ronnie Brown will get the bulk of the work.

Brock
08-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Good thing they got rid of Sproles. Idiots.

Toadkiller
08-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Ronnie Brown

Gonzo
08-16-2012, 02:48 PM

SHHHH!!!! "Charger Fans" don't know that. Shit, Buck asked me yesterday if Stan Humphries went to the pro bowl last season.

the Talking Can
08-16-2012, 02:49 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/chrisjnelson/RonnieBrown.jpg

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Yeah, they got rid of him:rolleyes:. I guess you, as a Chiefs fan, can't identify with losing talent through F.A.
I actually mean that. When was the last time the Chiefs lost a talented player to F.A.? They've had so few talented players over the years that it's been an oddity.
I guess TG would be the last time...

the Talking Can
08-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah, they got rid of him:rolleyes:. I guess you, as a Chiefs fan, can't identify with losing talent through F.A.
I actually mean that. When was the last time the Chiefs lost a talented player to F.A.? They've had so few talented players over the years that it's been an oddity.

sick burn...you're really good at the internet and stuff...

try double eye-rolls next time...you'll win for sure

Brock
08-16-2012, 02:57 PM

TG was traded, idiot.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Oh....

So we should expect a bunch of Wildcat formation from Whale's Vagina?

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 03:05 PM
TG was traded, idiot.

Yeah, I forgot. Jared was traded too. Those are the only 2 talented players you've had on your roster in the past decade.
So, it makes sense that you can't understand losing talented players in F.A.

Brock
08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I forgot. Jared was traded too. Those are the only 2 talented players you've had on your roster in the past decade.

That's a laughably stupid thing to say. Meanwhile, your team gets less and less talented every year.

Buehler445
08-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Troll Hard Gadzooks. Troll hard.

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Fear? No. Respect? Absolutely.

Against the Chiefs last season:
44 touches | 261 yards from scrimmage | 5.9 yards per touch | 2 TD's

And Rivers threw for 635 yards on 79 attempts with 0 TDs and 4 INTS. I think we got exactly what we wanted from the SD offense. Oh and Mathews lost a fumble in our home game.

Quesadilla Joe
08-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I still can't believe the Chargers never made it to the Super Bowl from 2005-2008. If they would have kept Brees and traded Rivers they would have won a couple Super Bowls.

-King-
08-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Well atleast you guys still have Norv. He's sure to bring the best out of that talented roster you guys have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
That's a laughably stupid thing to say. Meanwhile, your team gets less and less talented every year.

Getting Charles throught the Allen trade was a nice stroke of luck but can you name any players with the talent comparable to Brees, Sproles, VJ, etc... where you had to lose them to F.A.?
It happens alot in the NFL in general but not very often if your team doesn't have any talent. I'm just sayin' that's been the Chiefs plight for the past decade.

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Troll Hard Gadzooks. Troll hard.

I'm not trollin' I'm trying to have a football discussion.

-King-
08-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Getting Charles throught the Allen trade was a nice stroke of luck but can you name any players with the talent comparable to Brees, Sproles, VJ, etc... where you had to lose them to F.A.?
It happens alot in the NFL in general but not very often if your team doesn't have any talent. I'm just sayin' that's been the Chiefs plight for the past decade.

You're bragging about losing good players. ROFL So basically you guys are like the minor league to the rest of the teams huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
08-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Or if you have a brilliant general manager you trade them before they walk. Or in Allen's case, before he beats the idiot general manager to death with a folding chair.

Brock
08-16-2012, 03:23 PM

You guys just keep doing what you're doing. It looks like it's working great!

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
You're bragging about losing good players. ROFL So basically you guys are like the minor league to the rest of the teams huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

I merely bragging about having such an abundance of good players that it’s inevitable that you may have to let some of them walk.
The fact that the Chargers have done such a great job of replenishing their roster year after year is a testament to the job AJ has done. It’s been peaks and valleys but it’s been consistent. The same can’t be said for the Chiefs over the past decade.
(maybe I'm trolling a little bit...:))

Brock
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I merely bragging about having such an abundance of good players that it’s inevitable that you may have to let some of them walk.
The fact that the Chargers have done such a great job of replenishing their roster year after year is a testament to the job AJ has done. It’s been peaks and valleys but it’s been consistent. The same can’t be said for the Chiefs over the past decade.

You DON'T have an abundance of good players.

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Or if you have a brilliant general manager you trade them before they walk. Or in Allen's case, before he beats the idiot general manager to death with a folding chair.

LMAO

Dave Lane
08-16-2012, 03:33 PM

No actually we will have to face the wrath of Jackie Battle if he doesn't get better.

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 03:34 PM

You aren't replenishing players and the only consistency the Chokers have shown is taking a step backwards every single year since they made the AFC championship game.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 03:35 PM

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0611/dal_a_carr_cr_400.jpg

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Hard for me to respect the opinion of a doctor who doesn't know the details make such a dumb comment.

This guy has no idea where the break is, how severe it is, or what was specifically done to repair the break.

Tony Romo missed most of a season with a clavicle break on his non-throwing shoulder.

Marquez Colston missed three weeks.

Just another douchebag with no real information enjoying his airtime.

Sofa King
08-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Gadzooks is getting shitstomped in this thread. The only thing keeping SD from being a 2-14 team is Rivers. They talent they once had is nearly all gone now.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Hard for me to respect the opinion of a doctor who doesn't know the details make such a dumb comment.

This guy has no idea where the break is, how severe it is, or what was specifically done to repair the break.

Tony Romo missed most of a season with a clavicle break on his non-throwing shoulder.

This sounds like you drafted him on one your fantasy teams.

Hoping you didn't!!

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 03:55 PM
You DON'T have an abundance of good players.

Brock, are you going to bring anything to the table or are you just going to give single sentence responses?
The Chargers have had, and continue to have, a talented roster.
Here are some examples of talent the Chargers have lost over the past Decade:
Drew Brees
LaDanian Tomlinson
Darren Sproles
Vincent Jackson
Mike Tolbert
Antonio Cromartie
Rodney Harrison
Junior Seau
Jamal Williams
Marcus McNeill
Shawne Merriman
Michael Turner
Wes Welker
The list goes on and on... Very few comparable players have been included on the Chiefs roster over that time because the Chiefs have had their heads up their asses for many, many years.

Our current roster is very solid and has great depth (Antonio Gates, Philip Rivers, Eric Weddle etc...). I’m just sayin’ if the Chiefs current roster lives up to their expectations they too will “get rid” of their talented players. You can only pray that that day comes.
Until then Scott Pioli will bow to the altar of the San Diego Chargers and attempt to replicate their abilities to replenish their roster.

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 03:55 PM
This sounds like you drafted him on one your fantasy teams.

Hoping you didn't!!

We don't draft until the 25th.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Ryan Mathews likely out until October
more sadness

next you will tell me that peyton manning reportedly had neck stiffness this morning

:(

Ceej
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
We don't draft until the 25th.

I know you're smarter than that to draft that guy anyway.

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Brock, are you going to bring anything to the table or are you just going to give single sentence responses?
Drew Brees
LaDanian Tomlinson
Darren Sproles
Vincent Jackson
Mike Tolbert
Antonio Cromartie
Rodney Harrison
Junior Seau
Jamal Williams
Marcus McNeill
Shawne Merriman
Michael Turner
Wes Welker
The list goes on and on... Very few comparable players have been included on the Chiefs roster over that time because the Chiefs have had their heads up their asses for many, many years.

Our current roster is very solid and has great depth (Antonio Gates, Philip Rivers, Eric Weddle etc...). I&rsquo;m just sayin&rsquo; if the Chiefs current roster lives up to their expectations they too will &ldquo;get rid&rdquo; of their talented players. You can only pray that that day comes.
Until then Scott Pioli will bow to the altar of the San Diego Chargers and attempt to replicate their abilities to replenish their roster.

It sure is a good thing that they replaced all those players they lost that helped them make the AFC championship game and win the division titles so that they could continue winning the division and compete in the playoffs...oh wait...

mcaj22
08-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Drew Brees
LaDanian Tomlinson
Darren Sproles
Vincent Jackson
Mike Tolbert
Antonio Cromartie
Rodney Harrison
Junior Seau
Jamal Williams
Marcus McNeill
Shawne Merriman
Michael Turner
Wes Welker

Our current roster is very solid and has great depth (Antonio Gates, Philip Rivers, Eric Weddle etc...). I’m just sayin’ if the Chiefs current roster lives up to their expectations they too will “get rid” of their talented players. You can only pray that that day comes.

that actually means your franchise is awful, had you kept some of that talent with a competent FO, you probably would have won a couple Super Bowls by now. But because your team is ran by bumbling idiots, you win nothing.

At least the Chiefs have had bad players and play like having bad players. You guys have had elite talent and still couldnt win anything. And that is sad.

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 04:03 PM
I know you're smarter than that to draft that guy anyway.

I would have absolutely taken him depending on who was on the board at the time. I draft 11th in a 12 team league. I don't think he would have lasted that long anyway.

If for some reason he falls to my pick in the 3rd round, I'd absolutely take him. Too much upside, and he's not going to be out forever. Then again, that also depends on who is on the board, and who I've already taken.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 04:05 PM
I would have absolutely taken him depending on who was on the board at the time. I draft 11th in a 12 team league. I don't think he would have lasted that long anyway.

If for some reason he falls to my pick in the 3rd round, I'd absolutely take him. Too much upside, and he's not going to be out forever. Then again, that also depends on who is on the board, and who I've already taken.

I'm not a fan of the guy. Considering he hasn't been able to stay healthy an entire year.

Just an opinion.

11/12 is a tough spot.

Depending on the league, and the intelligence of the guys picking before you -- not sure RM would have warranted a 1st round selection.

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm not a fan of the guy. Considering he hasn't been able to stay healthy an entire year.

Just an opinion.

11/12 is a tough spot.

Depending on the league, and the intelligence of the guys picking before you -- not sure RM would have warranted a 1st round selection.

IIRC, his ADP was 7 before the injury.

I don't have a problem taking risks. Some guys refuse to take risks, but I've yet to see a team that was drafted with safety in mind win a championship in any of the leagues I play in.

Obviously, you don't want a team of risky players, but if you draft well, you can mitigate that risk.

Hell, teams are going to have to take risks this year - they have no choice.

Nearly every RB after the Top 3 carry some sort of risk, whether it be injury or a timeshare/vulture issue.

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 04:12 PM
that actually means your franchise is awful, had you kept some of that talent with a competent FO, you probably would have won a couple Super Bowls by now. But because your team is ran by bumbling idiots, you win nothing.

At least the Chiefs have had bad players and play like having bad players. You guys have had elite talent and still couldnt win anything. And that is sad.

You don't seem to understand that there is a thing called the "salary cap".
The "salary cap" limits the amount of money you can pay the players on your roster. When you have a talented team the best players want to make alot of money. Sometimes you don't have enough money to keep all of the players. When that happens, and the talented player's contract is up, they are allowed to go to "Free Agency". You can look up more info on the "salary cap" and "Free Agency" on the internet.
I'm glad you like having bad players though...

Saul Good
08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
The "salary cap" limits the amount of money you can pay the players on your roster. When you have a talented team the best players want to make alot of money. Sometimes you don't have enough money to keep all of the players. When that happens, and the talented player's contract is up, they are allowed to go to "Free Agency". You can look up more info on the "salary cap" and "Free Agency" on the internet.

Those guys are gone, and your talent consists of Rivers (instead of Brees, oops), Gates (brokedick), and Weddle (why is he even on the list?).

Good job. Good effort.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Run fast, fumble, and fall down is delayed.

ModSocks
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM

this.

I always think it's funny when ESPN or whomever gets some random Doc on to get his opinion when he hasn't even seen the X-rays.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Wasn't planning on drafting this soft douche anyway.

mcaj22
08-16-2012, 04:19 PM

YEA IT WOULD HAVE COST SO MUCH MONEY TO KEEP AND GROOM A YOUNG WES WELKER AND NOT YOUR STUPID FRONT OFFICE CUTTING GUYS AND LETTING THEM GO FOR NOTHING

yeah that salary cap, it really would have affected all that talent. Not.

ModSocks
08-16-2012, 04:20 PM

Yikes.

Uhmmmm.....he hasn't replenished shit. That's kinda the problem with the team lately, don't you think?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Rivers is the only thing keeping them from 4-12. Hell they're an 8 team with him lately. I'd like to see THEM with Cassel.

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Yikes.

Uhmmmm.....he hasn't replenished shit. That's kinda the problem with the team lately, don't you think?

Don't count on a response to this. It has repeatedly been pointed out to no avail.

Caseyguyrr
08-16-2012, 04:29 PM
I still can't believe the Chargers never made it to the Super Bowl from 2005-2008. If they would have kept Brees and traded Rivers they would have won a couple Super Bowls.

that's the first thing you've said that i agree with

Saul Good
08-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Basically, players play for the Chargers their entire careers and don't win shit. Then they go to New England for nothing and win rings.

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Those guys are gone, and your talent consists of Rivers (instead of Brees, oops), Gates (brokedick), and Weddle (why is he even on the list?).

Good job. Good effort.

I disagree. I'd rather have Rivers than Cassel, Gates dick is fully healed and is swinging around like a chocolate helicopter. Weddle is a fine Pro Bowl safety who tied for the league lead in interceptions.
To comment on the rest of the Charger roster is not appropriate on this board due to the overall ignorance of the average Chiefs fan on their Division rivals rosters, however, it is a deep roster with few holes.
One weak point is RB so the Mathews injury will hurt in the short term. Keep in mind, Sproles was a 4th rounder and Tolbert was a UDFA. I can see the Chargers coming out with another missed talent during Mathews absence only to have him walk away in FA. Maybe the Chiefs will benefit this time…

ModSocks
08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Gates dick is fully healed and is swinging around like a chocolate helicopter.

LMAO

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Yikes.

What hasn't been replenished? The talent has moved from position to position but it's been there.
I'm really curious on your detailed thoughts on this since you're closer to things than the average Chief fan.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I disagree. I'd rather have Rivers than Cassel, Gates dick is fully healed and is swinging around like a chocolate helicopter. Weddle is a fine Pro Bowl safety who tied for the league lead in interceptions.
To comment on the rest of the Charger roster is not appropriate on this board due to the overall ignorance of the average Chiefs fan on their Division rivals rosters, however, it is a deep roster with few holes.
One weak point is RB so the Mathews injury will hurt in the short term. Keep in mind, Sproles was a 4th rounder and Tolbert was a UDFA. I can see the Chargers coming out with another missed talent during Mathews absence only to have him walk away in FA. Maybe the Chiefs will benefit this time…

They only won one more game than the Chiefs did last year and less the year before. Think about that for a second.

Your team is ass other than Rivers and a couple of other guys.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 04:41 PM
IIRC, his ADP was 7 before the injury.

I don't have a problem taking risks. Some guys refuse to take risks, but I've yet to see a team that was drafted with safety in mind win a championship in any of the leagues I play in.

Obviously, you don't want a team of risky players, but if you draft well, you can mitigate that risk.

Hell, teams are going to have to take risks this year - they have no choice.

Nearly every RB after the Top 3 carry some sort of risk, whether it be injury or a timeshare/vulture issue.

Fair enough. I tend to play things more safe with RBs in fantasy football. I tend to shy away from guys who are injury prone or coming off a season ending surgery the year before.

Basically, you could say I'm THAT guy who would draft the safe pick (LT LMAO) in the first round every year if I'm in the Chiefs FO.

I just don't see it with Matthews. Just my opinion.

ModSocks
08-16-2012, 04:42 PM

BTW, I live right here in San Diego....I am very well aware of the "Depth" on the Charger's roster.

Your O-Line is Garbage, if Gaither doesn't get back Rivers might not live to see 8-8. I actually like your WR's, that'll be a strength. They've got good TE's.

Your RB's are a whole bunch of "meh". When Ronnie Brown and Jackie Battle are your first men up, you got a problem.

I know the entire city of SD is riding on Melvin Ingram's cock right now.....yet NO ONE has mentioned that he was beating up on a back up scrub LG playing out of position as a LT.....

Everyone else in your LB corpse is either old, often injured or just a scrub.

Quentin Jammer is old as fuck. Antoine Cason sucks. Weddle FINALLY had a good Pro Bowl year i guess. There is a big void at the other safety position though. Still don't have a proven Nickle.

Your D-Line sucks.

Garay is overhyped. Your 1st rnd rookie did dick last season.

Lets be real here.....there is SOME talent, but the team has some significant holes because AJ has let them rot.

AJ has Carl Peterson disease. He built a good roster early in his career, then he let his ego grow so big that he started reaching for players in the draft.

ModSocks
08-16-2012, 04:44 PM
I'd like to also add that the Chargers do have two, good young Safeties that can line up next to Weddle. But they have yet to play to their talent level.

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 04:46 PM
They only won one more game than the Chiefs did last year and less the year before. Think about that for a second.

Your team is ass other than Rivers and a couple of other guys.

What are you talking about? They have replenished all the lost talent from their playoff years and division titles. It is just bad luck that they haven't made the playoffs in two years and haven't won a playoff game since the 2008 season. Sounds an awful lot like not replacing the talent that got them those division titles and playoff victories.

ModSocks
08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
What hasn't been replenished? The talent has moved from position to position but it's been there.
I'm really curious on your detailed thoughts on this since you're closer to things than the average Chief fan.

Honestly, I think the Chargers will hit the ground running for two reasons.

1. Gates looks lean and healthy. And I've been saying it for years, Gates is the most important piece of that offense aside from Rivers.

2. Meachem. He'll plug in and people will forget about Jackson. I 100% believe that Jackson was the product of the system, and Meachem fits that system perfect. People in SD are talking about how the loss of Jackson will hurt them.

Not even close. His numbers will be replaced by Meachem. I'd say that Meachem will have a better season than Jackson.

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Honestly, I think the Chargers will hit the ground running for two reasons.

That is the same old thing that is said before every Chargers season the past 7 years or so but it just doesn't happen. This year will be no different.

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Fair enough. I tend to play things more safe with RBs in fantasy football. I tend to shy away from guys who are injury prone or coming off a season ending surgery the year before.

Basically, you could say I'm THAT guy who would draft the safe pick (LT LMAO) in the first round every year if I'm in the Chiefs FO.

I just don't see it with Matthews. Just my opinion.

I hope you have a Top 3 pick then, because you're not going to get a RB without some risk.

MJD - Holdout

CJ2K - coming off brutal season

McFadden - injury

Forte - Bush/Vulture

Peterson - injury

Murray - injury

Charles - injury/vulture

Lynch - possible suspension

Mathews - injury

F. Jackson - injury

Turner - turned 30

Bradshaw - injury

Richardson - injury

That's 13 of the Top 16 RB's.

ModSocks
08-16-2012, 05:00 PM
That is the same old thing that is said before every Chargers season the past 7 years or so but it just doesn't happen. This year will be no different.

Eh, not really.

Gates hasn't been healthy for the past two seasons.

Look at his weight and how he moved last season, then look at him this season.

Now, he doesn't look to have the same build he did when he was dominating the NFL, but he's certainly in better shape then he has been these past two seasons.

IF Gates can remain healthy, that offense will fly. It's a vertical offense designed to get their Tall, rangy WR's 1vs1 against smaller DB's.

Their offense works best when they have a TE threat to control the middle of the field and create those matchups downfield.

With a healthy Gates there to occupy those safeties, Rivers and his WR's can be in for a big year.

BUT......since his O-line won't be able to keep him up.....Rivers will probably get rattled and throw picks like he did last season since there won't be a ton of chances to get that ball out there.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I hope you have a Top 3 pick then, because you're not going to get a RB without some risk.

MJD - Holdout Not a fan of his because of his hold out. And Gabbert QBing

CJ2K - coming off brutal season No way, unless Locker is starting QB

McFadden - injury Again, no thanks -- injury concerns

Forte - Bush/Vulture I like Forte. Can catch and run, will get plenty of points

Peterson - injury pass

Murray - injury I hate Dallas RBs. Both he and Fjones gave it to me in the ass hard last yr

Charles - injury/vulture Not a fan because of injury

Lynch - possible suspension Solid RB; not sure if he can replicate last year's #s

Mathews - injury nope!

F. Jackson - injury he'll be effective this year, imo

Turner - turned 30eh maybe late second, early third

Bradshaw - injuryeh maybe with no Jacobs

Richardson - injury4-6 round value

That's 13 of the Top 16 RB's.

I will be getting Foster in 2/3 leagues. The other pick -- since RBs are incredibly thin. I'm thinking of taking Megatron (which I never take WRs in round; just my thing). Assuming he's around with pick #7 out of #12.

I understand a lot of these guys could be potential risks -- but at what round are they considered a value pick, opposed to a risky pick?

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I will be getting Foster in 2/3 leagues. The other pick -- since RBs are incredibly thin. I'm thinking of taking Megatron (which I never take WRs in round; just my thing). Assuming he's around with pick #7 out of #12.

I understand a lot of these guys could be potential risks -- but at what round are they considered a value pick, opposed to a risky pick?

Most, if not all of these guys are going to go in the Top 30 in standard leagues.

Now, if you could promise me that Peterson would be there at the end of the 3rd round? I'd take that gamble.

But I guarantee you someone takes that risk WAY before that.

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
BTW, I live right here in San Diego....I am very well aware of the "Depth" on the Charger's roster.

Your O-Line is Garbage, if Gaither doesn't get back Rivers might not live to see 8-8. I actually like your WR's, that'll be a strength. They've got good TE's.

Your RB's are a whole bunch of "meh". When Ronnie Brown and Jackie Battle are your first men up, you got a problem.

I know the entire city of SD is riding on Melvin Ingram's cock right now.....yet NO ONE has mentioned that he was beating up on a back up scrub LG playing out of position as a LT.....

Everyone else in your LB corpse is either old, often injured or just a scrub.

Quentin Jammer is old as ****. Antoine Cason sucks. Weddle FINALLY had a good Pro Bowl year i guess. There is a big void at the other safety position though. Still don't have a proven Nickle.

Your D-Line sucks.

Garay is overhyped. Your 1st rnd rookie did dick last season.

Lets be real here.....there is SOME talent, but the team has some significant holes because AJ has let them rot.

AJ has Carl Peterson disease. He built a good roster early in his career, then he let his ego grow so big that he started reaching for players in the draft.

I know you're in San Diego, that's why I asked.
Bullet point responses:
- The OL needs Gaither. If he keeps saying his back has an owie, it'll be a major issue . Mike Harris (another UDFA) has been solid as a replacement but that's obviously not ideal. BTW - Marcus McNeill had a bad neck since he was born and played at a Pro Bowl level for years but the LT spot will be a major point of concern until Gaither gets back on the field. The rest of the Oline remains relatively intact with Green replacing Deilman but Green has taken it up a few notches so I don't see a major drop-off there. Clary will continue to suck balls.

- I've stated that the RB depth situation is a concern.

- Ingram is not a prototypical rusher. He will be used in a variety of ways (inside/ outside). Antwan Barnes is the classic rushing OLB and had 11 sacks in limited play. Beyond that they've improved their LBs by adding Jarret Johnson from the Ravens. The unit is getting old but, other than Spikes, none of them are officially old. Oh, and did I mention Larry English hasn't broken his foot yet.

- The secondary is no better or worse than they've ever been. Jammer is still a more than serviceable CB and will move safety soon. Weddle's hitting his prime.

- The D-Line looks to be better because we have CAM FUCKIN THOMAS at NT. Seriously; this unit has a ton of depth and quality. 2 deep across the board.

I've never found out why you're a traitor to your homeland. Perhaps you're a transplant who doesn't like to get along with the locals.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Most, if not all of these guys are going to go in the Top 30 in standard leagues.

Now, if you could promise me that Peterson would be there at the end of the 3rd round? I'd take that gamble.

But I guarantee you someone takes that risk WAY before that.

I hear you.

This year; especially -- RB is super crazy thin.

So, I'm taking a different path this year. Going to try to stockpile WRs and get serviceable, value picks with RBs.

I normally stockpile RBs.

We'll see how things go. This year should be crazy; draftwise -- then recent years. A lot of unknowns.

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 05:18 PM
I hear you.

So, I'm taking a different path this year. Going to try to stockpile WRs and get serviceable, value picks with RBs.

We'll see how thing go. This year should be crazy; draftwise -- then recent years. A lot of unknowns.

I was just talking to our Commish, and we're both of the opinion that 5 QB's could be off the board in the first 15 picks - partly because of the clusterfuck at the RB position.

Rodgers was the only QB to be taken in R1 last year.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 05:19 PM
I was just talking to our Commish, and we're both of the opinion that 5 QB's could be off the board in the first 15 picks - partly because of the cluster**** at the RB position.

LMAO

This reminds me of my family football draft last year. There was ten of us; and maybe 1-2 diehards who follow football religiously.

I think the first 7 picks were QBs -- including BEN ROETHLISBERGER LMAO My stepdad, who took him wound up placing dead last in the league.

I had AP, Charles, and another stud RB last year.

I still love my family though.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2012, 05:23 PM
What are you talking about? They have replenished all the lost talent from their playoff years and division titles. It is just bad luck that they haven't made the playoffs in two years and haven't won a playoff game since the 2008 season. Sounds an awful lot like not replacing the talent that got them those division titles and playoff victories.

:evil:

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 05:23 PM
I hear you.

We'll see how things go. This year should be crazy; draftwise -- then recent years. A lot of unknowns.

I stockpile WRs. Last season I started Bryant, Bowe, Fitzgerald, and Megatron. My bench WRs were Driver, Ward, and a few others I can't remember now. I turned Driver and one of my other bench receivers into Gore. Unless I am a top few pick I won't even consider a RB in the first two rounds.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
I stockpile WRs. Last season I started Bryant, Bowe, Fitzgerald, and Megatron. My bench WRs were Driver, Ward, and a few others I can't remember now. I turned Driver and one of my other bench receivers into Gore. Unless I am a top few pick I won't even consider a RB in the first two rounds.

I'm trying that this year. A little outside my comfort zone.

But good owners adjust!

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 05:31 PM

We start a QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/K/DEF with 6 bench spots.

So you really can't stockpile at any position without hurting your depth at another.

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm trying that this year. A little outside my comfort zone.

But good owners adjust!

This is the first year that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with a week to go before the draft.

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
:evil:

Look at your sig and keep laughing.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
This is the first year that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with a week to go before the draft.

I've done some skimming over some rankings. That's about it.

I will print off rankings the day of, and take my iPad with me to the draft just in case.

OnTheWarpath15
08-16-2012, 05:40 PM
I've done some skimming over some rankings. That's about it.

I will print off rankings the day of, and take my iPad with me to the draft just in case.

I have guys ranked and tiered, I just have no idea what direction to go with those first two picks. (11/14)

And that never happens. I usually have a Plan A, B, C and D by this point.

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 05:43 PM
We start a QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/K/DEF with 6 bench spots.

So you really can't stockpile at any position without hurting your depth at another.

Yeah that is smaller than ours. We start the same as that except we start 3 WR plus a flex which can be a RB, te, or WR.

I can typically get a tier 2 rb as my number one. I prefer to have that plus 3-4 top WRs instead of risky "top" RBs plus one or two top WRs.

Ceej
08-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Fantasy football conversation >>> discussion about Nancy Pants Matthews.

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 05:46 PM
I have guys ranked and tiered, I just have no idea what direction to go with those first two picks. (11/14)

I love your selection spot. You ought to be able to get two top 5 WR there. Then in your 3rd and 4th you get a tier 2 RB and either your QB or another good WR.

Brock
08-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Drew Brees
LaDanian Tomlinson
Darren Sproles
Vincent Jackson
Mike Tolbert
Antonio Cromartie
Rodney Harrison
Junior Seau
Jamal Williams
Marcus McNeill
Shawne Merriman
Michael Turner
Wes Welker

I guess your point is you used to have some good players. Your roster isn't solid. It's old and tired. Meanwhile KC and Denver are passing you.

Oh, and the salary cap excuse. You rube. ROFL

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 06:03 PM
I guess your point is you used to have some good players. Your roster isn't solid. It's old and tired. Meanwhile KC and Denver are passing you.

Oh, and the salary cap excuse. You rube. ROFL

Yet again you bring nothing to the table. I am dissapoint.:shake:
You sir are a light weight. Good day sir.

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I said "Good day"!!!

RUSH
08-16-2012, 06:21 PM

If I was at 11, I would be hoping for DMC to drop. I've done some mocks and more times than not he's been there surprisingly. Maybe Chris Johnson even scares some people off and drops?

My league puts so much weight into injuries and last year's performance that if I'm not in the top 3, I hope I'm 10-12. I bet I could get both DMC and CJ2K. And then pray for Matthews or Julio in the 3rd. That would be an ideal start for me. I agree with everything you said about playing it safe. I've never seen a safe team win either. Might as well go for the home run picking in that spot.

Saul Good
08-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Stop derailing threads with FF bullshit.

Buck
08-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Fuck you guys we're going to the ship.

Buehler445
08-16-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm not trollin' I'm trying to have a football discussion.

ROFL

Oh. Sorry.

RealSNR
08-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Is Gadzooks trolling again?

Must have drank a bad vintage of urine

Gadzooks
08-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Is Gadzooks trolling again?

Must have drank a bad vintage of urine

You know you love it.

thabear04
08-16-2012, 08:13 PM
We drafted early for fantasy football. The last week of July

Pasta Little Brioni
08-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Look at your sig and keep laughing.

I think of Norv and the amount of marginal talent on your team starting to do that. The "window" has closed. Sucks man. Bolts had some damn good teams several years ago.