PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Duane Brown's New Deal: A barometer for Albert

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2012, 02:21 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/16/duane-brown-deal-announced-reportedly-worth-53-4-million/

The team did not announce any terms of the deal, but John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that it is for six years (http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/236171853310357504) and $53.4 million. That’s an average of just under $9 million per season, which is a pretty good price for a left tackle turning 27 this month and coming off a season that saw him named a second-team All-Pro. Per McClain, the extension kicks in after this season — Brown will make $2.08 million this year — and guarantees the tackle upward of $22 million.

-----------------------

So, Albert's probably looking at around $8 million per with guarantees around $18-20 million. I don't see how or why that shouldn't get done, assuming Albert has a solid year.

the Talking Can
08-16-2012, 02:22 PM
pocket change

Direckshun
08-16-2012, 02:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/16/duane-brown-deal-announced-reportedly-worth-53-4-million/

The team did not announce any terms of the deal, but John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that it is for six years (http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/236171853310357504) and $53.4 million. That’s an average of just under $9 million per season, which is a pretty good price for a left tackle turning 27 this month and coming off a season that saw him named a second-team All-Pro. Per McClain, the extension kicks in after this season — Brown will make $2.08 million this year — and guarantees the tackle upward of $22 million.

-----------------------

So, Albert's probably looking at around $8 million per with guarantees around $18-20 million. I don't see how or why that shouldn't get done, assuming Albert has a solid year.

Get that shit done before the season ends, Scott.

Free up the tag for Bowe.

The Franchise
08-16-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd easily pay Albert that.

mcaj22
08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
if Pioli dicks around like he did Carr and now Bowe with Albert and doesnt pony this money up then I am done with him as a GM

TEX
08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Here's the deal - Brown said all along that he wanted to work something out now. It was in the Texans best interest to sign him now because next year his original contract, along with Schaub's and Barwin's, will expire.

TEX
08-16-2012, 02:38 PM
if Pioli dicks around like he did Carr and now Bowe with Albert and doesnt pony this money up then I am done with him as a GM

Patriot way?

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2012, 02:43 PM

:crybaby:

Sofa King
08-16-2012, 02:46 PM

He didn't dick around with Carr. He let him go. And he's also paid plenty of great players... Hali, Charles, DJ, Flowers and he gave a huge contract to a safety in Berry.

Who is to say Bowe isn't being unrealistic. I'm betting he is asking way too much..

the Talking Can
08-16-2012, 02:48 PM
he gave a huge contract to a safety in Berry.

Who is to say Bowe isn't being unrealistic. I'm betting he is asking way too much..

he signed a draft pick...how special of Clark

oldman
08-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Left tackles are expensive, but I'm not sure Albert has shown me he's worth $8M a year. He's solid, but not in the top 5. Show me something by game 8. I'd love to see him step to that next level in red and gold.
Bowe, on the other hand, is probably due about $8.5-9M a year. Again, show me you won't drop passes and will remain a solid citizen with RAC as your coach. The talent is there, just not sure about the professionalism.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2012, 03:04 PM
He gave a huge contract to a safety in Berry.

LMAO LMAO

What the FUCK was he SUPPOSED to do? He was drafted NUMBER FIVE OVERALL.

Did you expect Pioli to pay him like a 5th rounder?

Complete speculation with absolutely no redeeming value.

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Go Hokies!!!

TEX
08-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Left tackles are expensive, but I'm not sure Albert has shown me he's worth $8M a year. He's solid, but not in the top 5. Show me something by game 8. I'd love to see him step to that next level in red and gold.
Bowe, on the other hand, is probably due about $8.5-9M a year. Again, show me you won't drop passes and will remain a solid citizen with RAC as your coach. The talent is there, just not sure about the professionalism.

This all day long. Except Bowe seems to have grown up a lot since he was drafted.

BossChief
08-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Do you ever stop whining?

When will you idiots stop with this dumbshit patriot way crying act?

Things the patriot way doesn't do:

Draft a safety top 5 (Berry)
Draft a wide receiver in the first round (Baldwin)
Sign players to big money contracts (Hali, DJ, Flowers, etc)
Draft problem players (Houston, Baldwin)
Sign problem players (Hillis, Routt)

Some of you act like teenage girls with this shit.

Saul Good
08-16-2012, 03:53 PM

I love that fans are demanding that Bowe prove something. If you had worked at your job for five years and performed at a level of one of the 10-15 best in the world and your boss then told you that you needed to prove yourself, I'm sure you'd be cool with it.

Demonpenz
08-16-2012, 03:54 PM
if albert thinks he is getting megatron money...

Saul Good
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM

Patriots don't draft anybody top 5 because they win
Gronk just signed a monster extension.
They drafted Ryan Mallett
They signed Moss, Ocho Cinco, and Corey Dillon

Can you fail any harder?

The Franchise
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Can you fail any harder?

Traded for Moss. But yeah....pretty much this.

Sofa King
08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
if albert thinks he is getting megatron money...

LMAO

Sofa King
08-16-2012, 04:00 PM

Can you fail any harder?

Haynesworth

mr. tegu
08-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Sign him at 8 million a year before he continues to solidify his worth and becomes worth 9.5 a year.

Titty Meat
08-16-2012, 04:04 PM

That's funny. I recall you saying you'd stop following this team if they hired Daboll and kept Matt Cassel.

BossChief
08-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Can you fail any harder?

You misunderstood.

I was just listing all the dumb shit people have said are "the Patriot way" over the last few years...only to be dead wrong about it.

the Talking Can
08-16-2012, 04:07 PM
i just hope he doesn't flex accidentally this year

Titty Meat
08-16-2012, 04:08 PM

If he went to the Lil Wayne concert he's done.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2012, 04:08 PM

oh please, you are looking for any reason to be 'done' with him

i dont give a shit about Carr,bowe or albert .... if Pioli can win playoff games without them then it's fine with me.

if he wins it's all good, if he loses then he's gone

the names of the players don't matter

mcaj22
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM

wow you are dumb.

Pats always draft safeties pretty high, as high as you can when you are team with a franchise QB with a winning record every season. But seriously, they drafted

Brandon Meriweather in the first round
Patrick Chung with OUR 2nd rounder we traded them for Matt fucking Cassel, which was a high 2nder might I add.

McCourty was a first rounder and Ras I Dowling was the first pick in the 2nd round, so like a high first.

They have more high picks in their secondary than we do lol.

And they have drafted and signed more problem players than probably any other team in the last decade. (Brandon Spikes, Aaron Hernandez, etc)

BossChief
08-16-2012, 04:14 PM
That's funny. I recall you saying you'd stop following this team if they hired Daboll and kept Matt Cassel.

Link or STFU

Mecca
08-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Whoa the Patriots have a ton of high dollar players, how about that Gronkowski money they just paid?

Dave Lane
08-16-2012, 04:17 PM
He didn't dick around with Carr. He let him go. And he's also paid plenty of great players... Hali, Charles, DJ, Flowers and he gave a huge contract to a safety in Berry.

You can't even sign Bowe to anything right now. His tender is it. JFC people. If he walks and we get nothing then cry.

Dave Lane
08-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Whoa the Patriots have a ton of high dollar players, how about that Gronkowski money they just paid?

Mecca sighting! What up dude?

BossChief
08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
wow you are dumb.

Pats always draft safeties pretty high, as high as you can when you are team with a franchise QB with a winning record every season. But seriously, they drafted

Brandon Meriweather in the first round
Patrick Chung with OUR 2nd rounder we traded them for Matt fucking Cassel, which was a high 2nder might I add.

McCourty was a first rounder and Ras I Dowling was the first pick in the 2nd round, so like a high first.

They have more high picks in their secondary than we do lol.

And they have drafted and signed more problem players than probably any other team in the last decade. (Brandon Spikes, Aaron Hernandez, etc)

Im not disputing that stuff...I was in the group thinking Pioli WOULD draft Berry.

I was just saying that people have used the reasons that I posted to clown Pioli over the years when the comments are way off base.

Shit, use the search function for my redraft takes on Baldwin, too.

Its just old having to read "Pioli only wants choir boys herp derp" over and over...followed by "fuck the patriot way"

mcaj22
08-16-2012, 04:22 PM
oh please, you are looking for any reason to be 'done' with him

i dont give a shit about Carr,bowe or albert .... if Pioli can win playoff games without them then it's fine with me.

if he wins it's all good, if he loses then he's gone

the names of the players don't matter

wouldnt the names of the players matter if it results in more wins though?

Mr. Laz
08-16-2012, 04:24 PM
bottom line is that our talent level is higher than it has been in a decade

none of this other soap opera shit matters

if the talent translates to wins then Pioli can keep/cut whomever the **** he deems necessary

if we can actually win a playoff game this year, for the first time in almost 20 year, then all the haters can drop to a knee and suck some Pioli schlong.

TRR
08-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I love that fans are demanding that Bowe prove something. If you had worked at your job for five years and performed at a level of one of the 10-15 best in the world and your boss then told you that you needed to prove yourself, I'm sure you'd be cool with it.

Good post and valid point.

But if you are an employee that is Top 10-15 at your job, but have been suspended from work once in those 5 years for something inappropriate, missed work for long stints because you feel you deserve a certain amount of money, needed to be micro-managed to make certain you're giving your all, and have made questionable comments to the media while representing that organization, I would assume that employer would have serious doubts about paying you like you are Top 5 in your position.

Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
08-16-2012, 04:43 PM
He won't pay Albert.

Stephenson is the future.

Direckshun
08-16-2012, 05:13 PM
He won't pay Albert.

Care to make it interesting?

Hammock Parties
08-16-2012, 05:24 PM
No, because right now we don't even know if Pioli is gonna be here to make this decision. And Stephenson might bust.

jd1020
08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
No, because right now we don't even know if Pioli is gonna be here to make this decision. And Stephenson might bust.

Where's he going?

SAUTO
08-16-2012, 05:30 PM

Flowers flexed at least once, why did he get signed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
08-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Where's he going?

If we win less than 8 games, he's going to the shitter.

Nightfyre
08-16-2012, 05:46 PM
I would lock Albert up for ~6-7 mill per year for 6 years and replace his current contract year to frontload some of the cap hit.

Direckshun
08-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Then you don't mean what you posted earlier.

Amazing how the second you put consequences on something, posters moderate what they were saying before.

bevischief
08-16-2012, 06:07 PM

And here we go. Nothing against you BossChief. I agree.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-17-2012, 06:53 AM

Seriously? ROFL

Black Bob
08-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Get that shit done before the season ends, Scott.

Free up the tag for Bowe.

I agree man. Albert is one of the most important pieces.

jspchief
08-17-2012, 07:34 AM

none of this other soap opera shit matters

if the talent translates to wins then Pioli can keep/cut whomever the **** he deems necessary

if we can actually win a playoff game this year, for the first time in almost 20 year, then all the haters can drop to a knee and suck some Pioli schlong.If our talent level is so great, why do so many people seem to take issue with the Chiefs fans that want to keep that talent?

Here's the reality. This team has a shit load of individual talent, and has yet to do much of anything with it. Backed into the playoffs in '10 and got their asses thoroughly handed to them. The two biggest things holding this team back up to this point? QB and coaching. The person responsible for our QB and previous coach? Pioli.

Pioli came into an ideal situation. This team was a lump of clay ready to be molded any way he wanted. A roster full of young talent, some nice high draft picks. He chooses the right QB and coach to lead this team, and chances are the past 3 years bring more success than one playoff loss and some of the most embarrassing Chiefs football in history. He failed in that department.

Now we keep hearing all the fans talk about how talented this team is. But with every new season, we face losing another Carr, Bowe, Albert, etc. Maybe we can get a Baldwin to replace Bowe. Maybe we can sign a Routt to replace Carr. But if you honestly believe the front office is going to be able to sustain a revolving door of talent, while continuing to lose ground in draft position, you're crazy. There's a reason so few teams see repeatable Superbowl success. A reason dynasties are rare. It's because the window of keeping the talent together is short. We already spent the last 3 years treading water with Pioli's choice for head coach and QB. You'll have to forgive me if I'd like to see some money spent to keep the talent that maybe keep our window of opportunity together longer.

-King-
08-17-2012, 08:10 AM
How did the Chiefs back into the playoffs in 2010?
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good
08-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Good post and valid point.

But if you are an employee that is Top 10-15 at your job, but have been suspended from work once in those 5 years for something inappropriate, missed work for long stints because you feel you deserve a certain amount of money, needed to be micro-managed to make certain you're giving your all, and have made questionable comments to the media while representing that organization, I would assume that employer would have serious doubts about paying you like you are Top 5 in your position.

Posted via Mobile Device

Fair enough. If that's your issue, then that's your issue. Just don't pretend that he has something to prove.

Also, I don't believe he's ever missed a day of work for wanting more money. He doesn't have a contract. He doesn't work for the Chiefs. We are trying to re-hire him, but we haven't offered him what he wants.

About a year and a half ago, a company tried to hire me away from my employer. I spent a couple of months negotiating before I agreed to jump. Should they have criticized me for missing work during that time? Of course not. I didn't work for them yet any more than Bowe works for the Chiefs today.

Saul Good
08-17-2012, 08:15 AM
How did the Chiefs back into the playoffs in 2010?
Posted via Mobile Device

We needed the Chargers to lose their last game, and they did.

-King-
08-17-2012, 08:22 AM
We needed the Chargers to lose their last game, and they did.

They won their last game.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
08-17-2012, 10:23 AM

I think the level is the highest its been since 1989.

DaneMcCloud
08-17-2012, 10:24 AM
He won't pay Albert.

:shake:

Stephenson won't be ready to start next year.

DaneMcCloud
08-17-2012, 10:25 AM

LMAO

The only way Pioli isn't here in 2013 is if he's picked off by a Skynet drone.

JFC, get over it.

DaneMcCloud
08-17-2012, 10:30 AM
If our talent level is so great, why do so many people seem to take issue with the Chiefs fans that want to keep that talent?

Carr was an unrestricted free agent and his lifelong dream was to play for the Cowboys. I don't understand the issue here. Furthermore, Pioli prepared for Carr's departure by drafting Jalil Brown and signed Stanford Routt.

The talent level is as high or higher than it's been since 1989. This team suffered catastrophic season injuries to its best players early last year, yet still won 7 games with guys like Palko & Orton at QB. This year's team has far more talented depth and it'll just keep getting deeper.

Based on his 2009 offseason, I didn't think it possible that Pioli could build a championship roster outside of New England and Bill Belichick but it's hard to argue against that notion in 2012.

O.city
08-17-2012, 10:32 AM
If I were Pioli, I'd take these numbers to Albert right now.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Pioli came into an ideal situation.

there is the next excuse

ROFL

MotherfuckerJones
08-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Oh horseshit! We didn't back into the playoffs. We won the games we needed to and everyone can say oh we beat the NFC west ya well no one else in the division swept the NFC west so suck a dick haters

Hammock Parties
10-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Pay him.

http://i.imgur.com/AnRsr.jpg

Saccopoo, AustinChief, please report to the thread for your crow dinners.

mcaj22
10-02-2012, 12:06 AM
I am going to hate to see Albert walk in FA in the offseason. Thanks Pioli

Sorter
10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Albert hasn't been a problem.

jspchief
10-02-2012, 12:10 AM
I am going to hate to see Albert walk in FA in the offseason. Thanks PioliAlbert won't go. Teams don't let LTs go.

Say goodbye to Bowe though.

Blick
10-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Not real happy with Albert's run block grade...but he still deserves to get paid.

Sorter
10-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Not real happy with Albert's run block grade...but he still deserves to get paid.

True, but most LTs leave something to be desired in the run-blocking, especially in a zone-blocking scheme IMO. They typically don't pull and have runs designed away from them.

However, LTs who are above average in pass blocking are a commodity in this league. You pay Albert IMO, especially when you take into account who he has been blocking for.

Munson
10-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Pay that man his money.

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=2810250&t=o

patteeu
10-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Pay him.

Yes

the Talking Can
10-02-2012, 06:22 AM
there's no excuse for not signing albert and bowe

each are dependable, and the best at their positions (ol,wr) on the team...

patteeu
10-02-2012, 06:26 AM
there's no excuse for not signing albert and bowe

each are dependable, and the best at their positions (ol,wr) on the team...

There might be one excuse. If one or both of them absolutely refuse to sign any deal because they want to play somewhere else, there's not much you can do about it. Of course, I guess you could argue that that's still Pioli's fault for not making the franchise more attractive. It should absolutely be a top priority though.

the Talking Can
10-02-2012, 06:33 AM
There might be one excuse. If one or both of them absolutely refuse to sign any deal because they want to play somewhere else, there's not much you can do about it. Of course, I guess you could argue that that's still Pioli's fault for not making the franchise more attractive. It should absolutely be a top priority though.

sure...but money talks

and if bowe wants to play somewhere else because pioli is a low-balling dick and cassel sucks, then pioli and cassel are problems that need to be dealt with by Clark...

qabbaan
10-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Albert may be a likely candidate for the Carr and Bowe treatment. The only saving grace here is that The Patriot Way seems to value linemen above everything but QB.

patteeu
10-02-2012, 06:48 AM
sure...but money talks

and if bowe wants to play somewhere else because pioli is a low-balling dick and cassel sucks, then pioli and cassel are problems that need to be dealt with by Clark...

Agree

Deberg_1990
10-02-2012, 06:53 AM
sure...but money talks

Agree 100%. Chiefs need to step up and pay Albert and Bowe. Neither are a problem.

In58men
10-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Albert took a lick on that pick 6 play.

He probably has a concussion.

Hammock Parties
10-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Gon get paid

- Not every Chief let the side down. The three highest graded Chiefs proved to be Branden Albert (+4.6), Derrick Johnson (+4.5) and Ropati Pitoitua (+3.4).

- This marked the third game out of his last four that Branden Albert had recorded a perfect game in pass protection. Somebody is going to get paid.

mcaj22
10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Pioli is going to pay him that kind of coin plus his has one of his picks waiting in the wings.

the only way Albert stays is if we get a new GM and a new GM quick but this is clearly Brandon Carr II. The guy has a good season and then is able to test the market because there is only one franchise tag.

Hammock Parties
11-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Albert is now the top-rated pass blocker on PFF.

Just freaking outstanding.

Saccopoo, AustinChief, report to this thread IMMEDIATELY.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

RT @ZachKleinWSB: Per NFL Source.. Sam Baker's numbers with #Falcons - 6-ys, 41.5-million - 18.25 million guaranteed

Market Set?

The Franchise
03-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

RT @ZachKleinWSB: Per NFL Source.. Sam Baker's numbers with #Falcons - 6-ys, 41.5-million - 18.25 million guaranteed

Market Set?

I'd give Albert close to $50 million.

DJ's left nut
03-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Market Set?

Eh, not really.

Sam Baker isn't close enough to Albert for it to set a decent bar. Baker's an adequate tackle, but nowhere near premier.

-King-
03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Sam Baker is pretty much the floor and Duane Brown is the ceiling. Albert should aim for somewhere in between.

Lex Luthor
03-13-2013, 05:04 PM
if ***** dicks around like he did Carr and now Bowe with Albert and doesnt pony this money up then I am done with him as a GM

Dorsey has been GM for a couple of months. During his tenure the Chiefs have yet to play a game or conduct a practice. They haven't even had a draft.

They've made one trade and signed a few free agents.

And you're already done with him as a GM.

The sad thing is that you're not alone in your insanity.

KurtCobain
03-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Dorsey has been GM for a couple of months. During his tenure the Chiefs have yet to play a game or conduct a practice. They haven't even had a draft.

They've made one trade and signed a few free agents.

And you're already done with him as a GM.

The sad thing is that you're not alone in your insanity.

Did you quote the wrong post or are you just confused?

Lex Luthor
03-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Did you quote the wrong post or are you just confused?

In my haste to be judgmental and critical, I failed to notice that the post I was quoting was from 2012 and was obviously about Pioli, not Dorsey.

Or, somebody hacked my account and made that stupid post. Yeah, that's it, that's what happened.

J Diddy
03-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Market Set?

Why bump last years thread to post that, twitter boy.

It becomes a confusing nightmare.