PDA

View Full Version : Money Getting a Second Job

Jenson71
08-22-2012, 08:32 AM
How many people here have experience with working a second job, apart from a full-time job? I'm thinking something along the lines of three days in the work-week of 10 hours, and 10 hours on the weekend.

What are some great general options out there, and some things to keep in mind?

My dream second job: freelance, telecommuting copywriter.

seclark
08-22-2012, 08:34 AM
i don't want to work my first job much less get a second one.
good luck.
sec

FlaChief58
08-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Say goodbye to your social life. I've had to work 2 jobs when I was younger. Thankfully those days are behind me.

TLO
08-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Well. I worked 2 part time jobs a couple years ago. Being only 20 years old and needing cash I wanted to make as much money as possible. I worked during the day at a pharmacy, and delivered news papers at night or early AM - 7 days a week. Mix that in with the fact I was going to school full time and I can say it wasn't the easiest thing to do... But the money sure was nice. If you don't mind late night/ early morning work a paper route might actually be something to look into. I enjoyed it, and it paid fairly decent for what it was. Good luck to you!

TLO
08-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Say goodbye to your social life. I've had to work 2 jobs when I was younger. Thankfully those days are behind me.

Amen. I should have mentioned that. I had 0 social life between the 3 things I was juggling.

Buck
08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm considering looking into it now that I have Fridays off.

Saul Good
08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
How many people here have experience with working a second job, apart from a full-time job? I'm thinking something along the lines of three days in the work-week of 10 hours, and 10 hours on the weekend.

What are some great general options out there, and some things to keep in mind?

My dream second job: freelance, telecommuting copywriter.
Keep in mind that trying to drum up work for a second job can be a third job in and of itself. How much time are you willing to spend doing this?

Also, what are you trying to achieve? Is this a money issue? An attempt to network? Build a resume? Are you trying to bridge out and potentially change careers and/or start your own small business? Are you just bored?

Dammit, man...I need answers.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
I once worked 3 jobs for about 6 months. All I did was work and sleep. It sucked and it didn't do enough for me finacially to be worth it.

Now I've been doing a single job for 5 or 6 years and thinking about getting a second part time.

If your second gig is freelancing then I assume you'd basically be setting your own schedule and such which would be much easier than punching two clocks.

Jenson71
08-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Money, money, money. Only concern is more money.

NewChief
I teach fulltime and work an additional 20 hours a month freelance as an educational consultant for a health care organization. It's pretty difficult to muster up the energy to work a second job, especially if it requires creative thinking and intrinsic motivation.

An ideal second job, imo, is one that just lets you go through the motions and do routine, clearly-defined tasks. Trying to do things like research, write, and organizational work on the side is difficult for me as I tend to exhaust those sorts of skills in my 9to5.

Reerun_KC
odesk.com

Check it out.

Predarat
08-22-2012, 08:49 AM
It is very difficult, I did it for 2-3 years. Be very careful you do not burn yourself out and slip on your perfromance in your main job. This happened to me and even after I quit the 2nd job it was too late to save my main job. Not a good thing at all.

jspchief
08-22-2012, 08:50 AM
The biggest challenge imo would be finding a part time job that actually pays enough to make it worth it.

Is it worth giving up another 30 hours per week for a couple hundred bucks?

FlaChief58
08-22-2012, 08:50 AM

Go for it then. Just make sure you can take some time for yourself, you will get burned out after putting in that much time

beach tribe
08-22-2012, 08:52 AM
I've been bar-tending as a second job for about 8 years now. No better way to go IMO.

Saul Good

Have you considered borrowing money and purchasing a large farm? You could lease it out, charge people to hunt, etc.

beach tribe
Go for it then. Just make sure you can take some time for yourself, you will get burned out after putting in that much time

My motto is: I'd rather be tired than broke.

TLO
08-22-2012, 08:53 AM

This. :clap:

Saul Good
08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
How about detailing cars? That doesn't take much investment on the front end, and you could throw up a few flyers and get started on your own schedule.

Jenson71
08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Have you considered borrowing money and purchasing a large farm? You could lease it out, charge people to hunt, etc.

That sounds good down the road. I don't want to borrow any more than I have already for now, though (aside from house). The reason I want a second job is to get out of my debt as soon as responsibly possible.

FlaChief58
08-22-2012, 08:57 AM

I agree, but being burned out is not the same as being tired. It happened to me a few times while working 2 jobs. The only solution for me was dropping the second job to get my head back on straight

Saulbadguy
08-22-2012, 08:58 AM
I worked at Hy-Vee for a few months. The job itself wasn't too bad, but when you looked at the clock at 3 or 4 PM and realized your day wouldn't end until 11 that night really sucked.

Saul Good
08-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Being that you post on Chiefs Planet, I have to assume that you are incredibly good looking with chiseled abs like the rest of us. You could be the next magic Mike.

PunkinDrublic
08-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Not a second job but for the last year and a half I've donated plasma twice a week which comes out to about $250 a month. By doing this I paid my car off 3 months early, helped pay for my vacation and now I'm going to get my credit card paid off. I might work at target on the weekends during the holiday rush.

beach tribe
08-22-2012, 09:14 AM
I agree, but being burned out is not the same as being tired. It happened to me a few times while working 2 jobs. The only solution for me was dropping the second job to get my head back on straight

Truthiness. It's happened to me too, and I had to take a break. It CAN wear on you to the pointof effecting both jobs.

gblowfish
08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I don't know what the rules are now with unemployment. A long time ago, I took on a second job (worked in Missouri) along with my full time job. I got laid off from my full time job, and couldn't get unemployment benefits because I had a part time job.

Sucked much.

Think hard before taking on the second job, unless it's all cash and unreported income.

Inspector
08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Its been a long time since I worked extra jobs.

In the 70's I worked in the evenings at a disco in the Plaza parking cars. Decent money from tips but was up late every night and was dog tired working my real job during the day.

In the 80's I did quiet a few acting and modeling gigs. That was really good coin and also had some fun. That work led to some contacts that got me hired to do comedy writing.

But those days are over and now I just work my primary job but am looking at retiring at the end of the year. I'll probably just go fishing with my grandkids then. That doesn't pay worth a darn though.

Good luck!

Saul Good
08-22-2012, 09:38 AM
I don't know what the rules are now with unemployment. A long time ago, I took on a second job (worked in Missouri) along with my full time job. I got laid off from my full time job, and couldn't get unemployment benefits because I had a part time job.

Sucked much.

Think hard before taking on the second job, unless it's all cash and unreported income.

You couldn't collect unemployment because you had a job? Oh noes!

Saul Good
08-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Aren't you in law school or a recent graduate? You should be able to make $50 to $100 per hour tutoring for the ACT and LSAT.

ZepSinger
08-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Took on a second job in February- got a lead guitar gig with a working KC classic rock cover band. $100 a night, and play pretty much every weekend- sometimes Friday and Saturday nights.

I guess if you have to take on a second job for additional income, it could be worse than this. :-)

gblowfish
08-22-2012, 09:53 AM
You couldn't collect unemployment because you had a job? Oh noes!

The part time job only paid about $50 a week. Can't really live on $200 a month, even in 1980 dollars.

I couldn't get unemployment, even though I had paid taxes for it for six years at my full time gig. That's what sucked. You have to consider whether you should risk your safety net over a small additional income. I'm not against work, I think it's a bad law not to differentiate full time v. part time employment.

lcarus
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
I got a second job at Papa Johns at the beginning of this year. I wanted to just deliver pizzas and maybe work 20 hours a week. I was pretty clear to the manager that I had a 9-6 daytime job every weekday and that I only wanted 15-20 hours a week. He ended up scheduling me for 10 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday, and almost every weekday from 6-2am. I told him that doesn't work for me, and he seemed to acknowledge that, but he kept scheduling me the same hours. Eventually I just quit becuase I couldn't do it. I was too tired and had literally 0 free time, and could only sleep 6 hours a night. Fuck that.

Just make sure you don't overwork yourself whatever you do...

The Franchise
08-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Honestly I wouldn't mind a second job right now......but that would leave zero time for the family....and that wouldn't fly.

rocknrolla
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM
I've been bar-tending as a second job for about 8 years now. No better way to go IMO.

I also been doing this on the side a few nights a week for a while. Great pay for little hours. Doesn't interfere with my primary job. Nice to always my have cash in pocket.

Dunit35
08-22-2012, 11:08 AM
I work 40+ a week with 4/10's and 2 days a week around 14 hours total for the family business. It's awesome, if I have to leave for an appointment while at the 2nd job, I can.

chasedude
08-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Walmart Greeter. What my dad says he's going to do for a parttime job after he retires.

kaplin42
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
I have been entertaiing this idea as well. Something mindless that I don't have to really think about.

Pizza delivery a good option for that?

FlaChief58
08-22-2012, 01:18 PM
I have been entertaiing this idea as well. Something mindless that I don't have to really think about.

Pizza delivery a good option for that?

It seems like a good thing, but with all the wear & tear on your car, it's just not worth it. Depending on where you're at, you can make decent tips, but if there's a college near by, you're screwed (cheap ass KSU fucks).

fan4ever
08-22-2012, 01:23 PM

From you post I'd say you've got a future in political campaigning...

kaplin42
08-22-2012, 01:25 PM
It seems like a good thing, but with all the wear & tear on your car, it's just not worth it. Depending on where you're at, you can make decent tips, but if there's a college near by, you're screwed (cheap ass KSU ****s).

I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles, and if I got work around where I live, its high middle-class residental. Could make decent tips, and my car is in great shape.

I would be open to other suggestions too, but I do already have a full time tech job, that is why I want something that I can just go auto-pilot on.

I was thinking Geek Squad at Best Buy, but that sounds like work, and I'm not sure I want to listen to 20 year olds blather on about dumb shit all day.

FlaChief58
08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles, and if I got work around where I live, its high middle-class residental. Could make decent tips, and my car is in great shape.

I would be open to other suggestions too, but I do already have a full time tech job, that is why I want something that I can just go auto-pilot on.

I was thinking Geek Squad at Best Buy, but that sounds like work, and I'm not sure I want to listen to 20 year olds blather on about dumb shit all day.

It's pretty easy, but can be stressfull, especially on the weekends. Working the superbowl is great. I went home with $250 in tips on SB sunday in 1993.

Convience store clerk is pretty easy too, but it does comes with obvious risks

Munson
08-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Start selling some weed.

Eventually, you might make more money dealing than working at your primary job.

Iowanian
08-22-2012, 01:38 PM
The first year I started my company, I worked as many as 3 taxable part time jobs at the same time, not counting cash work.

You have to set goals to keep you moving forward with schedules like that, and not really enjoy sleeping or seeing your family or doing fun things.

but I didn't build that.

Then I cut back to 1 job, working about the same total hours for a year or so...and then I added help, and then I added more help, and now it's more reasonable.

but I didn't build that either.

vailpass
08-22-2012, 02:06 PM
You could string together a couple o f these type of jobs and work on your own schedule from home...

Part-time on call Item Writer for ACT (telecommute)

http://www.act.org/humanresources/item/index.html