PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Tight ends like Boss will get lots of action in Chiefs’ offense

Tribal Warfare
08-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Tight ends like Boss will get lots of action in Chiefs’ offense (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/22/3774389/tight-ends-like-kevin-boss-figure.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
The day tight end Kevin Boss signed as a free agent with the Chiefs last March, he received a call from quarterback Matt Cassel.

Cassel welcomed Boss to Kansas City, showed him a house to move into in his neighborhood, introduced him to the neighbors and began passing him the football.

Cassel and Boss made an instant connection on and off the field. They worked tirelessly together in the spring and summer, and it was evident in last weekend’s preseason game in St. Louis. Cassel targeted Boss five times, and he caught a game-high four passes for 62 yards, all in the first half.

“It’s always nice to live near your quarterback and become buddies with him,” Boss said with a smile.

Boss, who was released after just one year in Oakland, figures to play a key role in new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll’s tight-end-friendly offense.

In each of the first two preseason games, a tight end has been the Chiefs’ leading receiver. Backup Steve Maneri emerged with three catches for 69 yards against Arizona before Boss’ big night against the Rams.

The Chiefs’ starting tight end, Tony Moeaki, who is coming back from knee surgery, caught a short pass for 1 yard on the first offensive play at St. Louis, and third-teamer Jake O’Connell pulled down a 19-yard grab at St. Louis.

“It’s still early, but the sky is the limit with this position,” Boss said. “We’re really deep, with me and Tony getting on the field at the same together. Maneri has really improved, and Jake O’Connell is an excellent guy who can do a little bit of everything and made a big catch in the last game. It’s exciting to be a part of this position in this offense.”

A year ago, the New England Patriots showed what two tight ends can mean to an offense, when Rob Gronkowski caught 90 passes for 1,327 yards, including 17 touchdowns (an NFL record for a tight end), and Aaron Hernandez caught 79 passes for 910 yards and seven touchdowns.

Daboll was a receivers coach at New England from 2000 to 2006, and he leaned heavily on tight ends as a coordinator at Cleveland and Miami.

“We have flexibility with the position with Boss being a big body,” head coach Romeo Crennel said. “He’s got good hands, he’s got experience, he’s been on a couple of different teams, and he brings a little bit to the table for us.”

“Tony has a little bit different than Kevin does, and our ability to use him will be helpful. Maneri has come on and has made some plays. … Jake has made plays, and even (Kansas rookie) Tim Biere has gotten better during training camp.”

Boss, who stands 6 feet 6, caught 28 passes for 368 yards and three touchdowns last year at Oakland, which had a revolving door at quarterback. It was Boss’ fewest receptions since his rookie year with the New York Giants in 2007, but he was still surprised when the Raiders released him.

“I got caught off-guard a little bit,” he said. “I knew once they brought in the new general manager and cleaned out the whole coaching staff, I knew anything was possible, especially in this business. But I landed on my feet, and I’m happy where I’m at.

Before Boss signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Raiders, he spent four years with the Giants, starting in 2007. Boss’ best year was 2009, when he caught 42 passes for 567 yards and five touchdowns. But his most memorable play occurred in Super Bowl XLII, when his game-long, 45-yard reception set up a touchdown in the Giants’ upset of then-undefeated New England.

“I had four great years in New York,” Boss said. “I loved my time there. In this business, you’re always moving. I can’t complain about my career at all. It’s been pretty amazing, coming from a small Division II school, … that I made it this long.”

Boss not only played football at Western Oregon, but also he spent two seasons on the school’s basketball team, averaging 3.0 points in 13.6 minutes per game for 53 games.

“I really enjoyed being able to play both sports there,” he said. “It’s probably something I wouldn’t have been able to do at a Division I school, but at Western Oregon, I was able to and loved every minute of it.”

Boss, like other basketball-playing tight ends such as Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates, uses his basketball skills in gaining position on defenders and going up for high passes.

“He’s a big target,” Cassel said. “He found the soft spot in the zone (at St. Louis) and he was able to get his big body in there, and I was able to see him. So it worked out well. “

KCrockaholic
08-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Was surprised to see Boss as the #1 TE thus far. But after 2 games I can see why he's the starter. Hopefully Moeaki can still contribute quite a bit.

HemiEd
08-23-2012, 01:10 AM
This has to be a first, has to be. The same member posting the same article twice within two minutes.:doh!:

TLO
08-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Like a Boss.

Black Bob
08-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Boss should be the #1 TE in my opinion. He's a much better blocker and is more well rounded. I think we will run the 2 TE single back formation quite a bit so Moeaki will got alot of playing time. Boss is going to be a key player in the is offense.

WhiteWhale
08-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Boss should be the #1 TE in my opinion. He's a much better blocker and is more well rounded. I think we will run the 2 TE single back formation quite a bit so Moeaki will got alot of playing time. Boss is going to be a key player in the is offense.

Boss is not a 'much better' blocker than Moeaki.

I'm concerned how Tony's knee injury will effect him in this area and it may be true at this moment, but he was one of the best blocking TE's in the league in 2010. I don't think Boss has ever blocked as well as Tony did as a rookie.

Black Bob
08-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Boss is not a 'much better' blocker than Moeaki.

I'm concerned how Tony's knee injury will effect him, but he was one of the best blocking TE's in the league in 2010. I don't think Boss has ever blocked as well as Tony did as a rookie.

I disagree. I love Tony to death but Boss is a better blocker and Tony is a better receiver. Boss is one of the best all around TEs in the league. He is pretty good at everything.

Tony Moeaki is getting beaten out for his job by Kevin Boss in this training camp.

Direckshun
08-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Anybody get a NTTAWWT vibe from the thread title?

BoneKrusher
08-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Boss should be the #1 TE in my opinion.

agreed.