PDA

View Full Version : Life The Flopnuts Fatties Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm going to be an attention whore on this. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a morbidly obese individual. I grew up overweight. Like, as long as I can remember. In the beginning of 2008 a weight loss thread started. I decided for the first time in my life I was going to go see a doctor and try and take off some weight. I was 450lbs.

I learned how incredibly ignorant I was to health, fitness, and food. Over the course of a year and a half or so, I lost 185lbs. I went from someone who had never been able to run a mile in his life, to someone who ran 30-40 miles a week. I have a framed picture of myself completing my first 5k, and it was one of the proudest moments in my life.

In August of 2010 my wife and I decided to move to Branson, MO from Seattle, WA. I've lived here before, and wanted to come back. I've never really drank in my life because I come from a long line of alcoholics. I chose a different poison, and always smoked pot. (Yeah, lost 185lbs with the fucking munchies every day. Go me!)

Needless to say, I started drinking when I got down here because the pot was horrible, and eventually stopped running. When I stopped running, I started gaining weight. Today, 2 years later, I weigh approximately 380lbs. I say approximately because frankly, I would have to find a freight scale to weigh myself.

Today is the day it all begins again. I thought long and hard about putting myself out there on this board, because it has changed so much since I did this the first time. But it was such a great release for me, and an insane source of positive encouragement, and valuable information that I decided to do it.

I also know that all that weight I lost inspired a few others on this board to do it as well. My understanding is that they have all kept that weight off. I'm hoping to replicate those achievements with some current fatties out there. Let's band together! Let's learn, and fight, and be who we want to be, rather than who we are right now.

I'm going to post before and after pictures in the next post. My before and after is a little different though. I'm going to post pictures of me at 265, and one of me today. I look forward to posting my after-after picture at the end of the year. I am going to lose 100lbs+ before this year is over. My goal, is to weigh 250lbs by January 1st. That would be the same weight I was at in the 8th grade. Public accountability is a big part of why I was so successful before I think. The idea of putting this up and being the same or worse by year's end is disgusting. I believe it will help me. I will be bumping this thread perhaps on a daily basis. It worked the last time.

Who's with me? Who is ready to put in the blood, sweat, and tears necessary to change your life forever? If I'm alone, I'm alone. But I hope some of you will join me in the battle of the bulge. We'll call it "Custard's last stand"! And to anyone who wants to talk shit to me, about me, or whatever, bring it on. It fuels me.

GO!!!

The Fatties: Starting weight 09/01 (optional)

Mr. Floptits
Pestilence
Mr. Plump
Luv
Saulbadguy
otherstar
Bump
"Bob" Mojo Dobbs
Buck
Cabletech94
CJiggles
HemiEd
MahiMike
Setsuna
LTL
pr capone
planetman
Bwana
Burt
The World's finest morphius
zonachief
jiveturkey
Frosty
predarat
Braincase

If you're interested in a Facebook Flopnuts Fatties group, request admission here;

http://www.facebook.com/groups/flopnutsfatties/

jspchief
08-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Good luck man.

Sofa King
08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
I'd join you but if i lost 180 pounds i would cease to exist.

Kick some ass there Flopnuts, and might i suggest a tight pair of underwear when you run.

DMAC
08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
I would dude, but I am already in perfect physical condition.

If you want, drive up and watch me eat Chinese food later today and look at me for motivation.

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Mmmm.... custard.

Rasputin
08-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Good luck Flopnuts.

HemiEd
Good luck to you nuts, hope it works out for you long term this time.

I would love to lose 30 pounds myself, but it gets harder the older you get.

Donger
Best of luck to you. Are you also going to stop drinking alcohol?

Bugeater
08-24-2012, 10:06 AM
I went on a crash diet last night and lost about 40,000 posts.

RedNFeisty
I need to get in shape, not to lose weight but to keep up with my kids. I started running/walking Monday. I'll join you on the running. It's kicking my tail end, my gluts are on fire this morning.

Rain Man
I'm in on the weight loss deal, though I'm not exactly a good partner for you since I only want to lose 15 pounds. But still, the first 15 pounds is the hardest.

morphius
08-24-2012, 10:07 AM
ROFL

I wondered when/if you would notice.

Mr. Flopnuts
Best of luck to you. Are you also going to stop drinking alcohol?

I won't be successful unless I drastically reduce my alcohol consumption. I'm not saying I'm going to quit, but I'm definitely going to detox for the rest of the year. It's necessary for my mind, as much as my body.

LTL
I'm in.

boogblaster
08-24-2012, 10:08 AM
good luck nuts .. ima kinda in same shape except cant workout because my spinal injury keeps me from running .. can barely walk to my truck .. but i keep trugin along .....

The Franchise
I'm in man. I've been trying to find my motivation for the last 6 months and just haven't been able to find it. It's always one excuse after another. I need to get up off of my fat lazy ass and lose 50 lbs.

Bugeater
ROFL

I wondered when/if you would notice.
At least my post count doesn't make me look fat anymore.

Mr. Flopnuts
I'm in on the weight loss deal, though I'm not exactly a good partner for you since I only want to lose 15 pounds. But still, the first 15 pounds is the hardest.

I'll bet that I lose 15lbs in my first week. I'm not even kidding, I've done it before. :evil:

Rausch
I was 450lbs.

I learned how incredibly ignorant I was to health, fitness, and food. Over the course of a year and a half or so, I lost 185lbs. I went from someone who had never been able to run a mile in his life, to someone who ran 30-40 miles a week.

Great.

I get home and log on to the Planet only to find out some fatass runs more miles in 2 weeks than I do in 2 years.

morphius
08-24-2012, 10:09 AM
At least my post count doesn't make me look fat anymore.
and you look like you have a life outside of CP.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:10 AM
good luck nuts .. ima kinda in same shape except cant workout because my spinal injury keeps me from running .. can barely walk to my truck .. but i keep trugin along .....

My friend, we lose weight in the kitchen until we gain fitness in the gym. If you want help, and can avoid eating the foods you love in exchange for good tasting food that will take fat off of you, let me know. I will help you. I normally don't advise taking diet advice from a 380lb man, but I do know a thing or two when it comes to weight loss through diet only.

Bugeater
08-24-2012, 10:10 AM
I found the opposite to be true, I started hitting the bike pretty hard this spring, and I lost 10 lbs within the first few weeks. Been a while since I've been on a scale but I don't think I've lost much since then.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm in man. I've been trying to find my motivation for the last 6 months and just haven't been able to find it. It's always one excuse after another. I need to get up off of my fat lazy ass and lose 50 lbs.

I was hoping you would be homeboy. I need some people I talk too off this board to be in this thing with me. Let's get it the fuck done!

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Great.

I get home and log on to the Planet only to find out some fatass runs more miles in 2 weeks than I do in 2 years.

LMAO I will again too!

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 10:12 AM

You are me except you live in California. Work out.....or play games, eat, drink.....I'll start working out tomorrow.

Rain Man
08-24-2012, 10:12 AM
My friend, we lose weight in the kitchen until we gain fitness in the gym. If you want help, and can avoid eating the foods you love in exchange for good tasting food that will take fat off of you, let me know. I will help you. I normally don't advise taking diet advice from a 380lb man, but I do know a thing or two when it comes to weight loss through diet only.

When I did my 40-lb. loss back in '09 during the TinyEvel fitness contest, I did some calculations and determined that 80 percent of the loss was due to eating better and 20 percent was due to exercise. Both are good, but diet is the real driver.

bevischief
08-24-2012, 10:13 AM

I noticed that.

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Good luck Flop! I need to get my ass back in gear and get rid of this lovely beer belly I've got. Just need to get myself out running.

And if it would help you, I'd be willing to post "What working out have you done today fatass?" on your Facebook page daily.

:)

The Franchise
08-24-2012, 10:16 AM
I was hoping you would be homeboy. I need some people I talk too off this board to be in this thing with me. Let's get it the fuck done!

Definitely man. You know you can hit me up anytime.

You are me except you live in California. Work out.....or play games, eat, drink.....I'll start working out tomorrow.

I know it's just an excuse but shit is fucking hard when you've got three kids, a full time job and a wife that's going to school and working full-time as well. Plus a new house that I'm having to work on during my free time. I know you know full well how all of that feels though.

I just need to get the fuck off of my ass and find the time.

phisherman
08-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Good for you man. Losing it and keeping it off takes a lot of self-discipline.

I quit drinking on weeknights and that has helped me shed about 15-20, along with running 20 miles a week and walking an extra 30 on top of that.

The Franchise
FFS.....I spent the money and bought Insanity. I did two workouts.....and then got busy.

bevischief
Have looked at the Atkins diet? I lost over 40 pounds that was 7 years ago. Still haven't put the back on. Good luck.

Bugeater
When I did my 40-lb. loss back in '09 during the TinyEvel fitness contest, I did some calculations and determined that 80 percent of the loss was due to eating better and 20 percent was due to exercise. Both are good, but diet is the real driver.
Well fuck. That's probably my problem right there, I still want to drink and eat shitty food.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Good luck Flop! I need to get my ass back in gear and get rid of this lovely beer belly I've got. Just need to get myself out running.

And if it would help you, I'd be willing to post "What working out have you done today fatass?" on your Facebook page daily.

LMAO Post that here, not there please. :)

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 10:19 AM
I know it's just an excuse but shit is fucking hard when you've got three kids, a full time job and a wife that's going to school and working full-time as well. Plus a new house that I'm having to work on during my free time. I know you know full well how all of that feels though.

It's definitely an excuse....and one that I've used often. Unfortunately, the difference between you & I is that my kids are all old enough to take care of themselves and not bug me in the hour it would take me to work out....and I still use it.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Have looked at the Atkins diet? I lost over 40 pounds that was 7 years ago. Still haven't put the back on. Good luck.

I have. I think I'm going to do juicing for the first 3 months. I've seen people with some fucking incredible results, and I'm OCD enough that I'll put my mind into it and just not eat.

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 10:21 AM
LMAO Post that here, not there please. :)

You could always respond "Shut up fatty! What working out have YOU done today?" LMAO

Rausch
Well ****. That's probably my problem right there, I still want to drink and eat shitty food.

See, right there's my problem.

To me $3itty food is what we feed to the animals we eat.

I'm the best vegan ever. I figure for every 1/2 lb of bacon I eat a day I've consumed like 1,400 vegetables...

Mr. Flopnuts
Definitely man. You know you can hit me up anytime.

I wish I had that excuse...I could literally spend 3-4 hours in the gym every day if I decided too. Fucking ridiculous.

bevischief
08-24-2012, 10:22 AM

So what day are you going to start this diet?

Donger
08-24-2012, 10:22 AM
It's definitely an excuse....and one that I've used often. Unfortunately, the difference between you & I is that my kids are all old enough to take care of themselves and not bug me in the hour it would take me to work out....and I still use it.

This may be considered anathema, but how about dedicating a specific amount of time that one would otherwise spend on ChiefsPlanet to exercise?

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 10:23 AM
So what day are you going to start this diet?

I think I'd rather maintain my drinking habits, but work out harder to compensate then to give up drinking.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:23 AM
You could always respond "Shut up fatty! What working out have YOU done today?" LMAO

That's alright. I've included you in the list of fatties whether you like it or not! :D

Discuss Thrower
08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah, but can you play NT?

Mr. Plow
This may be considered anathema, but how about dedicating a specific amount of time that one would otherwise spend on ChiefsPlanet to exercise?

Point taken.

The Franchise
I just need to decide when I'm going to work out. I can either do it after the kids go to bed or I can wake up early in the morning and do it.

Donger
08-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Point taken.

That wasn't directed at you specifically, mind you, just a general observation.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:26 AM
I just need to decide when I'm going to work out. I can either do it after the kids go to bed or I can wake up early in the morning and do it.

I have always been a first thing in the morning guy. It sucks at first, but it's so much easier to avoid shit food when you've put in the sweat already. Plus, when I get to work it's noon vs. 6am when it's really 8am.

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 10:26 AM
That's alright. I've included you in the list of fatties whether you like it or not! :D

In all seriousness, good luck man. I hope you lose it all and then some. And I really might just take this opportunity to start my running again. For me, I know it's just about getting active and not being a lazy ass.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah, but can you play NT?

Oh yeah. I could take up the Center and Guards no problem. I remember being 17 at Chiefs games in Seattle and people would say "Fuck, you should be out there playing!" I was 6'5 and 300lbs before I started high school.

The Franchise
08-24-2012, 10:28 AM
I have always been a first thing in the morning guy. It sucks at first, but it's so much easier to avoid shit food when you've put in the sweat already. Plus, when I get to work it's noon vs. 6am when it's really 8am.

Yeah......it really would only cost me an hour of sleep. I think now that my kids are actually sleeping all the way through the night (most of the time)....it's time for me to get up at 5 and go work out.

Mr. Plow

That's the really shitty thing about me and why I'm so much worse.... my youngest 3 kids love to stay at after school for an hourish. They get snack, play with friends, etc. My oldest has FB practice until 5pm. I'm off work around 3:30p....I literally have no excuse because I have the time, in the perfect slot to do it.

Mr. Flopnuts

In all seriousness, good luck man. I hope you lose it all and then some. And I really might just take this opportunity to start my running again. For me, I know it's just about getting active and not being a lazy ass.

Preciate it man. I know we're on the same team. Just got to get up and do it. That said, time for me to do some homework.

bevischief
I think I'd rather maintain my drinking habits, but work out harder to compensate then to give up drinking.

I gave them till I reach my weight and then I did that.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 10:29 AM
I was with you back then, i'm with you back now.

I weighed myself this morning and as of today, i'm the lightest i've been since middle school.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah......it really would only cost me an hour of sleep. I think now that my kids are actually sleeping all the way through the night (most of the time)....it's time for me to get up at 5 and go work out.

That's exactly when I wake up and go, or at least when I did...

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:30 AM
I was with you back then, i'm with you back now.

I weighed myself this morning and as of today, i'm the lightest i've been since middle school.

Awesome. I can't list you as a fattie, but you and Clay were my fucking homeboys through all of that. Silock, and Brock were HUGE contributors to our success. Thanks for sticking with me on this bro. I have no good excuse for getting back here.

Discuss Thrower
08-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Oh yeah. I could take up the Center and Guards no problem. I remember being 17 at Chiefs games in Seattle and people would say "Fuck, you should be out there playing!" I was 6'5 and 300lbs before I started high school.

Then strap on some knee braces and let your inner Shaun Smith out. We need some cold blooded killers on our D-line.

The Franchise
08-24-2012, 10:32 AM
You could always make a group on Facebook and make it private.

luv
08-24-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm in. I've yo-yo'd over the years. This year, I started off at 259 lbs. At the end of June, I weighed 219.6 lbs. No fad diets. I simply started eating healthier and watching my portions. I also took up jogging. In the last 6 weeks, I have been lax in eating healthy, started drinking SOME soda along with less water, but I have remained jogging. To no surprise, I've gained weight. Although, to my surprise, it was only 1.6 lbs. As of Monday, I start the remainder of the year off at 221.2 lbs. I've recently started doing the roller derby gig, and I have practice four hours per week. Still playing softball and still jogging. The exercise hasn't been a problem. Drinking my water and making healthier food choices once again will be my main focus again. I want to lose 50 lbs.

Buck
08-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I have. I think I'm going to do juicing for the first 3 months. I've seen people with some fucking incredible results, and I'm OCD enough that I'll put my mind into it and just not eat.

Just do Keto bro. Juicing diet is ridiculous.

Hammock Parties
08-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Stop buying shit and you won't eat shit.

Simple as that.

As Dr. Phil once said

"Be fat, or beat the fat."

http://www.stellarpath.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/drphil.jpg

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Awesome. I can't list you as a fattie, but you and Clay were my fucking homeboys through all of that. Silock, and Brock were HUGE contributors to our success. Thanks for sticking with me on this bro. I have no good excuse for getting back here.

Oh, i'm still a fattie. I've got about 30-40 lbs to go.

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm in. I've yo-yo'd over the years. This year, I started off at 259 lbs. At the end of June, I weighed 219.6 lbs. No fad diets. I simply started eating healthier and watching my portions. I also took up jogging. In the last 6 weeks, I have been lax in eating healthy, started drinking SOME soda along with less water, but I have remained jogging. To no surprise, I've gained weight. Although, to my surprise, it was only 1.6 lbs. As of Monday, I start the remainder of the year off at 221.2 lbs. I've recently started doing the roller derby gig, and I have practice four hours per week. Still playing softball and still jogging. The exercise hasn't been a problem. Drinking my water and making healthier food choices once again will be my main focus again. I want to lose 50 lbs.

I haven't said this before, but been meaning to.....great job!

Now, on a different note - women crack me up. Ask a guy what they weigh....175. As a woman what they weight....175.3. :)

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:35 AM
You could always make a group on Facebook and make it private.

I may do that as well. I have a lot of friends on Facebook that are Biggest Loser contestants and people who are trying to achieve the same results we are.

luv
08-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I haven't said this before, but been meaning to.....great job!

Now, on a different note - women crack me up. Ask a guy what they weigh....175. As a woman what they weight....175.3. :)

I want to know how far I have to go to get down to the next pound. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
Oh, i'm still a fattie. I've got about 30-40 lbs to go.

Really? You look fucking great on Facebook. Cool though, you're in!

bevischief
The biggest thing that worked for me and keeping the weight off was stop drinking soda and cut out sugar and the occasional fried food.

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I want to know how far I have to go to get down to the next pound. :D

My wife is the same way.....cracks me up.

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 10:37 AM
The biggest thing that worked for me and keeping the weight off was stop drinking soda and cut out sugar and the occasional fried food.

This, I've heard, is huge. Cut out the pop.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Just do Keto bro. Juicing diet is ridiculous.

Why? There's a mental aspect to juicing for me as well. I'm trying to fight the psychological part of poor eating.

Rausch
08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
"Be fat, or beat the fat."

http://www.stellarpath.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/drphil.jpg

LMAO

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Why? There's a mental aspect to juicing for me as well. I'm trying to fight the psychological part of poor eating.

Then what happens after you stop juicing?

Or stop keto?

Or stop Nutrisystem/Medifast?

Or stop fasting?

How do you plan to teach yourself healthy eating habits?

Rain Man
08-24-2012, 10:40 AM
I went from 210 to a brief low of 169 in 2009. I'd classify it as a success because three years later I'm at 185, but I'd really like to be back down around 172 again. I look a lot better at that weight, because the additional 13 pounds goes straight to my stomach.

Buck
08-24-2012, 10:40 AM
If you decide you want more info on Keto, call me. I can talk pretty much all day. I'm sure GoChiefs can give you a lot of pointers too.

Also a tip for everyone.

Diet isn't supposed to be defined as "the food you eat when you want to lose weight." It should be defined as "the food you eat."

The point is that you need to make a lifestyle change, not just go on a "diet."

Rausch
08-24-2012, 10:41 AM
If you decide you want more info on Keto, call me. I can talk pretty much all day.

Fool me once...

NewChief
08-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Or stop keto?

Or stop fasting?

I will say that fasting is my eating "habit" now. That's just pretty much the way I eat for the last 3 years or so, and I don't think I'll ever go back to 3 square meals a day, every day.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I will say that fasting is my eating "habit" now. That's just pretty much the way I eat for the last 3 years or so, and I don't think I'll ever go back to 3 square meals a day, every day.

I can appreciate that for sure. I think as far as a lifestyle change that is a good one.

I've tried nearly every "diet" out there. They all work, as long as you stick to them.

Whats frustrating to me is that I like a wide variety of foods and drinks, and I don't like to deny myself those simple pleasures.

L.A. Chieffan
08-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Hey dawg, you want some fresh Cali dank? Pm me

Hammock Parties
I haven't shared this with anyone but I'm going to share it with Floptits now in the hopes that it might help him.

Last year I got incredibly depressed towards the end of summer. I put on about 35 pounds between then and the end of the year and I was dangerously close to turning back into a fatass. I stopped working out and had zero discipline with my diet. My clothes were getting very, very uncomfortable.

I got incredibly motivated by a hot girl and lost it all and fucked her, and haven't regressed since in the last 6 months and am leaner than ever.

So just know that we once-fat-turned-skinny-almost-got-fat-again-but-committed-to-staying-skinny-once-and-for-all people have issues sometimes, too.

EACH MAN HIDES A SECRET PAIN.

Share my pain, and gain strength from the sharing.

http://images.wikia.com/villains/images/8/87/Sybok.jpg

Saulbadguy
Hey dawg, you want some fresh Cali dank? Pm me

hahaha

btlook1
Good luck Flopnuts. It's hard to stick with but keep trying. I'm down right at 30 lbs this year, smaller portions and working out 2-3 times a week.
I have been eating quite a bit of Progresso soup, add crackers and it's like 300-400 calories a meal plus it's cheap when you price match or pick it up at Sams. Figure a meal for a buck or 1.25 and your doing well!!

bevischief
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
If you decide you want more info on Keto, call me. I can talk pretty much all day. I'm sure GoChiefs can give you a lot of pointers too.

Also a tip for everyone.

Diet isn't supposed to be defined as "the food you eat when you want to lose weight." It should be defined as "the food you eat."

This is the only way to keep it off.

bevischief
08-24-2012, 10:48 AM

I usually one eat once a day and that is usually the first meal of the day. Some times a snack.

Sully
08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I've said "I'm in," and not followed through on several of these threads, so I won't embarrass myself further by doing so. I'm back coaching football after two years off, and I will never go into another season with as much weight as I'm carrying. It's just too damn hard on my body (plus, I'll be on espn tomorrow!).
I will say, though, good luck Flop. You're good people and I'm rooting for you.

Rain Man
08-24-2012, 10:49 AM
I haven't shared this with anyone but I'm going to share it with Floptits now in the hopes that it might help him.

Last year I got incredibly depressed towards the end of summer. I put on about 35 pounds between then and the end of the year and I was dangerously close to turning back into a fatass. I stopped working out and had zero discipline with my diet. My clothes were getting very, very uncomfortable.

I got incredibly motivated by a hot girl and lost it all and ****ed her, and haven't regressed since in the last 6 months and am leaner than ever.

So just know that we once-fat-turned-skinny-almost-got-fat-again-but-committed-to-staying-skinny-once-and-for-all people have issues sometimes, too.

Y'know, it's a good point about morale. That's where I am right now. I'm scared to death of gaining the weight back and feel bad when I tick up every pound, which then makes me less motivated to eat well.

otherstar
08-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Count me in. I'm at 300 and want to get back to 220...ultimately.

NewChief
08-24-2012, 10:50 AM
I can appreciate that for sure. I think as far as a lifestyle change that is a good one.

I've tried nearly every "diet" out there. They all work, as long as you stick to them.

Whats frustrating to me is that I like a wide variety of foods and drinks, and I don't like to deny myself those simple pleasures.

I'm a food whore. I absolutely love food. I'm the guy who would make moms blush when I went to a friend's house because I was asking for seconds and thirds (thank god my metabolism is high as hell, which is probably one reason I should stay out of these threads... because I haven't ever had to deal with the shit that other people do as far as weight loss). When I travel, I travel to eat, researching the restaurants I'll eat at for months in advance. I spend an average of 1-2 hours in the kitchen an evening cooking. In short: I'm a foodie.

Fasting, though, has allowed me to just ignore all the shit meals and calories I was taking in out of habit and really focus on enjoying and doing the food right during my eating periods. It also has allowed me the ability to splurge on occasion when traveling or during holidays with the confidence that I can get the pounds off again if necessary.

But yeah, I freaking love to eat. But I'm also an all or nothing guy. If I get started eating something, then it's really hard for me to stop until it's all gone. IF I start in on chocolate chip cookies or cake or something that someone brings to work, then I'll probably have multiple servings, not one. It's much easier for me to never start eating the food than to stop once I do eat it.

My wife, on the other hand, does small snacking portions (handfuls of almonds, piece of fruit, slice of cheese, etc...) all day long with no problem.

Rausch
08-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Y'know, it's a good point about morale. That's where I am right now. I'm scared to death of gaining the weight back and feel bad when I tick up every pound, which then makes me less motivated to eat well.

Off the computer tubby.

You could be working out right now...

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm a food whore. I absolutely love food. I'm the guy who would make moms blush when I went to a friend's house because I was asking for seconds and thirds (thank god my metabolism is high as hell, which is probably one reason I should stay out of these threads... because I haven't ever had to deal with the shit that other people do as far as weight loss). When I travel, I travel to eat, researching the restaurants I'll eat at for months in advance. I spend an average of 1-2 hours in the kitchen an evening cooking. In short: I'm a foodie.

Fasting, though, has allowed me to just ignore all the shit meals and calories I was taking in out of habit and really focus on enjoying and doing the food right during my eating periods. It also has allowed me the ability to splurge on occasion when traveling or during holidays with the confidence that I can get the pounds off again if necessary.

But yeah, I freaking love to eat. But I'm also an all or nothing guy. If I get started eating something, then it's really hard for me to stop until it's all gone. IF I start in on chocolate chip cookies or cake or something that someone brings to work, then I'll probably have multiple servings, not one. It's much easier for me to never start eating the food than to stop once I do eat it.

My wife, on the other hand, does small snacking portions (handfuls of almonds, piece of fruit, slice of cheese, etc...) all day long with no problem.

Yep. I have a word for what I do. "dominate." It's not enough to have two slices of pizza. I have to dominate that shit until I feel miserable.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 10:53 AM
In all seriousness, using Weight Watchers has helped me immensely. I'd say it's been the most effective in balancing the weight loss with allowing me to eat and drink what I want.

NewChief
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Yep. I have a word for what I do. "dominate." It's not enough to have two slices of pizza. I have to dominate that shit until I feel miserable.

Exactly. I think it's because I grew up with two older brothers, and we would all be fighting for every last scrap of food at the table (it was just about competition, not about actually not having enough food to eat). My parents also both grew up poor, so they made us feel guilty for not cleaning our plates. As such, I end up cleaning every plate at the table when I go out to eat with my wife and kids. I've actually started ordering less food for myself these days because I know I'll end up eating everyone else's scraps. It's weird.

So that's why fasting works for me. It suits the way I eat. For others it might not work as well (like my wife).

Donger
08-24-2012, 11:00 AM
The whole "loving food" thing has always interested me. I used to work with a guy whose entire day was about what he was going to eat. I used to drive him nuts because while I like food (and love some), it's really just something that my body requires. He used to say, "You know what, Donger!? You eat to live. I live to eat." I actually enjoy the process of making a meal a lot more than eating it.

Bump
08-24-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm 210 and way outta shape. Can barely run a mile.

I'm gonna start working out again, today! I need to get my 6 pack back and my motivation is need to be healthy again and feel good. I know 210 doesn't sound like a lot to you, but it's a lot to me and maybe we can motivate each other.

Hammock Parties
08-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Eat to live, don't live to eat.

The Franchise
08-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Exactly. I think it's because I grew up with two older brothers, and we would all be fighting for every last scrap of food at the table (it was just about competition, not about actually not having enough food to eat). My parents also both grew up poor, so they made us feel guilty for not cleaning our plates. As such, I end up cleaning every plate at the table when I go out to eat with my wife and kids. I've actually started ordering less food for myself these days because I know I'll end up eating everyone else's scraps. It's weird.

So that's why fasting works for me. It suits the way I eat. For others it might not work as well (like my wife).

I used to be a skinny kid up until I was about 8 years old. My Dad got orders to Okinawa and left 3 months before my Mom, my brother and myself to get everything setup. The three of us went to live with my grandparents on their farm. My grandma is the type of person that would make you whatever you want to eat but you had to eat everything on your plate. Apparently my eyes were bigger than my stomach. My Dad said that when we got off the plane....he didn't even recognize me. I had gained that much weight. I've been fighting that battle since then.

morphius
08-24-2012, 11:08 AM
In all seriousness, using Weight Watchers has helped me immensely. I'd say it's been the most effective in balancing the weight loss with allowing me to eat and drink what I want.
Yup, I'm a picky eater and there is a lot of healthy stuff I just won't eat and giving up my favorite foods just seems stupid. If I'm going to have pizza, just have two pieces and eat light that day. I know some people that just use some of the free apps on the web to basically do it for free.

loochy
08-24-2012, 11:14 AM
All of you should check out some Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies videos. They are a lot of fun and they can get you in shape fast! Richard Simmons is a master motivator and he has been where you are. He feels your pain.

Buck
08-24-2012, 11:15 AM
These are all Pics of people on Keto

1 Year
http://i.imgur.com/zS1xg.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/i1j7E.jpg

5 Months
http://i.imgur.com/ntt8d.jpg

6 Months
http://i.imgur.com/1DHcv.jpg

~4 Months
http://i.imgur.com/B6xmP.jpg

6 Months
http://i.imgur.com/E6mDP.jpg

3 Months
http://i.imgur.com/QyMj2.jpg

4 Months
http://i.imgur.com/cDCwe.jpg

5-6 Months
http://i.imgur.com/lzVxj.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/oa2uk.jpg

The Franchise
08-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Buck....any good Keto websites out there I can take a look at?

loochy
08-24-2012, 11:18 AM
http://inspirationalphysiques.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/lee_priest_off_season01.jpg

Rausch
08-24-2012, 11:19 AM
These are all Pics of people on Keto

Is it just no longer cool to say "carb diet" or what?

I mean, that's what it is...

loochy
08-24-2012, 11:21 AM

carb diet is not the same as keto...keto is more extreme

keto actually means you go into ketosis

Rausch
08-24-2012, 11:22 AM
carb diet is not the same as keto...keto is more extreme

keto actually means you go into ketosis

:facepalm:

Buck
08-24-2012, 11:23 AM
8 Months
http://i.imgur.com/ayS5h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/y8BUn.jpg

Buck
08-24-2012, 11:23 AM

You have no idea what you're talking about.

loochy
08-24-2012, 11:25 AM
:facepalm:

whyd you facepalm?

you can go low carb without ketosis

Buck
08-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Buck....any good Keto websites out there I can take a look at?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Keto
http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

"Bob" Dobbs
08-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Oh what the fuck. Count me in, although I really only have to lose 30-40 or so. Go Flopnuts!

Rausch
08-24-2012, 11:27 AM
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Really?

So the carb diet doesn't recommend buying a kit to measure the chemicals in your urine to tell exactly when you go into ketosis?

Or that it's an essential part of the diet so your body starts breaking down fats for energy instead of storing unused sugars/carbs?

S'plain it to me then...

Hammock Parties
08-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Look at this hot piece of man ass

Buck
08-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Really?

So the carb diet doesn't recommend buying a kit to measure the chemicals in your urine to tell exactly when you go into ketosis?

Or that it's an essential part of the diet so your body starts breaking down fats for energy instead of storing unused sugars/carbs?

S'plain it to me then...

First of all I've never heard of a "carb diet." What you're talking about, I assume, is a low-carb diet.

Secondly, there are probably hundreds of low-carb diets out there. Keto is one of them.

Donger
A question for you people who have lost a significant amount of weight: Did you have some kind of destruction ceremony of your "fat" clothes, or did you keep them stored away "just in case"?

loochy
Really?

S'plain it to me then...

Heh I didn't know there was an actual named thing called THE Carb Diet.

I thought you were referring to A carb diet, which would mean, at least to me, a low carbohydrate diet.

Carry on mate.

Hammock Parties
08-24-2012, 11:29 AM
A question for you people who have lost a significant amount of weight: Did you have some kind of destruction ceremony of your "fat" clothes, or did you keep them stored away "just in case"?

I gave them to a fat person.

loochy
08-24-2012, 11:30 AM
You could use the old fat clothes to make 2 sets of regular clothes.

Rausch
08-24-2012, 11:31 AM
First of all I've never heard of a "carb diet." What you're talking about, I assume, is a low-carb diet.

Secondly, there are probably hundreds of low-carb diets out there. Keto is one of them.

The original low carb diet was based on the premise of Ketosis.

The only difference now is that instead of being a radical idea people thought might be risky (high meat diet = cholesterol and heart disease) there's a decade of science behind it and it has a cool new name based on the same 10 year old science...

Donger
08-24-2012, 11:32 AM

LMAO

He wasn't insulted?

Hammock Parties
08-24-2012, 11:32 AM
LMAO

He wasn't insulted?

He was really obese and needed some smaller clothes that a merely fat person would wear.

bevischief
08-24-2012, 11:33 AM
8 Months

I don't recognize if you didn't post your name and the before picture.
Congrats.

Buck

The only difference now is that instead of being a radical idea people thought might be risky (high meat diet = cholesterol and heart disease) there's a decade of science behind it and it has a cool new name based on the same 10 year old science...

Yeah, I guess I completely agree with you and was misreading what you were saying earlier.

Bump
IMO low carb diets are stupid. Carbs are energy, you need energy. Who wants to lose weight by feeling tired and shitty all of the time? A workout routine and proper eating is fine. Hell you can still eat some crap if you workout, I don't get it.

loochy

That's not a cool new name. People were calling it keto 10 years ago back when I was into bodybuilding

Saulbadguy
Eat to live, don't live to eat.

DO BOTH, BRO

loochy
08-24-2012, 11:34 AM
IMO low carb diets are stupid. Carbs are energy, you need energy. Who wants to lose weight by feeling tired and shitty all of the time? A workout routine and proper eating is fine. Hell you can still eat some crap if you workout, I don't get it.

It's easier for losing bodyfat because it forces stored fat to be used for energy

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 11:35 AM

No ceremony. Just pitched em.

Buck
08-24-2012, 11:35 AM

You don't say?

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
8 Months

You and I have about the same body size/composition I think. I believe you are quite a bit taller, though.

Buck
08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
I haven't done anything with my fat clothes yet, but I'm donating all of them pretty soon.

The main reason I havent done anything is because I dont have enough new clothes yet and sometimes I have to wear some really baggy clothes.

LVNHACK
08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
FFS.....I spent the money and bought Insanity. I did two workouts.....and then got busy.

lol...Dude, I'm 51 both my boss and I are doing Insanity....I mention my age because I don't kill it when I do Insanity....both my boss and I are dropping 1/2 lbs a week on Insanity.

As far as dieting goes....eat very well 6 days a week....On day 7 cheat...it'll become a life style.

In '07 I was 240 with a 42" waist, this morning I was 178 with a 36" waist. When I started Insanity 6 weeks ago 190 with a 38" waist.

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
I haven't done anything with my fat clothes yet, but I'm donating all of them pretty soon.

The main reason I havent done anything is because I dont have enough new clothes yet and sometimes I have to wear some really baggy clothes.

Biggest pain in the ass is a wardrobe full of clothes that are too tight (WHICH SHOW OFF TOO MANY FAT ROLLS) or too baggy.

I don't have much clothing that fits "just right" and i'm too cheap to go buy more if they will just end up being too baggy in a few months anyways.

Rausch
08-24-2012, 11:41 AM
So this diet took a fat Latino man and turned him into an angry middle eastern suicide bomber?

Fuck that diet...

loochy
08-24-2012, 11:44 AM
So this diet took a fat Latino man and turned him into an angry middle eastern suicide bomber?

Fuck that diet...

LOL

luv
08-24-2012, 11:47 AM

Don't get started.

luv
08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
If anyone wants to talk about healthy eating, portion control, and exercise, I'm all ears. :)

Otherwise, I'll just click to check the status of everyone's keto from time to time.

bevischief
08-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Don't get started.

I just ignored him.

Buck
08-24-2012, 11:50 AM
You and I have about the same body size/composition I think. I believe you are quite a bit taller, though.

6'1 ~220 lbs

luv
08-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I just ignored him.

I didn't. I just know that he's outnumbered.

Rausch
08-24-2012, 11:51 AM
If anyone wants to talk about healthy eating, portion control, and exercise, I'm all ears. :)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff104/princelybug/crickets.gif

Ace Gunner
08-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm going to be an attention whore on this. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a morbidly obese individual. I grew up overweight. Like, as long as I can remember. In the beginning of 2008 a weight loss thread started. I decided for the first time in my life I was going to go see a doctor and try and take off some weight. I was 450lbs.

I learned how incredibly ignorant I was to health, fitness, and food. Over the course of a year and a half or so, I lost 185lbs. I went from someone who had never been able to run a mile in his life, to someone who ran 30-40 miles a week. I have a framed picture of myself completing my first 5k, and it was one of the proudest moments in my life.

In August of 2010 my wife and I decided to move to Branson, MO from Seattle, WA. I've lived here before, and wanted to come back. I've never really drank in my life because I come from a long line of alcoholics. I chose a different poison, and always smoked pot. (Yeah, lost 185lbs with the ****ing munchies every day. Go me!)

Needless to say, I started drinking when I got down here because the pot was horrible, and eventually stopped running. When I stopped running, I started gaining weight. Today, 2 years later, I weigh approximately 380lbs. I say approximately because frankly, I would have to find a freight scale to weigh myself.

Today is the day it all begins again. I thought long and hard about putting myself out there on this board, because it has changed so much since I did this the first time. But it was such a great release for me, and an insane source of positive encouragement, and valuable information that I decided to do it.

I also know that all that weight I lost inspired a few others on this board to do it as well. My understanding is that they have all kept that weight off. I'm hoping to replicate those achievements with some current fatties out there. Let's band together! Let's learn, and fight, and be who we want to be, rather than who we are right now.

I'm going to post before and after pictures in the next post. My before and after is a little different though. I'm going to post pictures of me at 265, and one of me today. I look forward to posting my after-after picture at the end of the year. I am going to lose 100lbs+ before this year is over. My goal, is to weigh 250lbs by January 1st. That would be the same weight I was at in the 8th grade. Public accountability is a big part of why I was so successful before I think. The idea of putting this up and being the same or worse by year's end is disgusting. I believe it will help me. I will be bumping this thread perhaps on a daily basis. It worked the last time.

Who's with me? Who is ready to put in the blood, sweat, and tears necessary to change your life forever? If I'm alone, I'm alone. But I hope some of you will join me in the battle of the bulge. We'll call it "Custard's last stand"! And to anyone who wants to talk shit to me, about me, or whatever, bring it on. It fuels me.

GO!!!

The Fatties:

Mr. Flopnuts
Pestilence
Mr. Plow
Luv
Saulbadguy

You are awesome Mr Flopnuts or whomever you are.

Get.
It.
Done.

I'm in good shape, though a recent surgery has left me refraining from normal work outs until just this week, good luck to you all.

morphius
08-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Otherwise, I'll just click to check the status of everyone's keto from time to time.
There isn't a lot to talk about, it is mostly calorie counting. WW is just an easier way to keep track.

Buck
08-24-2012, 12:23 PM
For the record, I'm in.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-24-2012, 12:27 PM
You go Flop! Good luck!

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 12:29 PM
6'1 ~220 lbs

Sounds about right, i'm 5'8 195. My BMI is 29.6, yours is 29.90

Saulbadguy
08-24-2012, 12:30 PM
There isn't a lot to talk about, it is mostly calorie counting. WW is just an easier way to keep track.

Yeah, it's pretty easy if you aren't sure about something.

Gotta have a food scale though, IMO.

cabletech94
08-24-2012, 12:32 PM
best of luck flopnuts! i'll lose some weight starting now, too.

no one has to tell you: portion control and will power. you've done it before. you can do it again. hang in there kind SIR. let's do this!!!

DMAC
08-24-2012, 12:36 PM

Exercise sucks, so I make it fun. I play soccer twice a week for 2-3 hours at a time at Lake Country. That's my exercise. Beats the lame gym.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Or stop keto?

Or stop fasting?

It's really just discipline. I know what to do. It's applying it every day, and remembering that a mistake doesn't have to be compounded into this. Obviously there was some depression and things going on, but that's just not a good enough excuse. It is what it is.

Also a tip for everyone.

I don't have any idea what to eat to remain in keto. I guess it's probably better than juicing, I just fucking love potatoes and pasta. But if I'm juicing I don't get those things, I may as well dig in on some sausage and eggs. :D

Will you do me a favor, and explain your fasting regimen? I did VERY well with fasting but I'd like to get an idea of how often you do it, and how long you go. TIA. And please, come into this thread. God bless you for not having to deal with this, but the fact is, you're supportive as fuck, you're very positive to hear from, and fuck, you're Trent Green's BIL. :fire:

Me too. Donated to my buddy before I moved. Oops. They were a little big on him at the time, and he's filled them up. I still have my size 52 shorts and 6xl shirt that I first weighed in at 450. I'll never get rid of those.

Ceej
08-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Count me in, Mr. Nuts.

However, can we go with Flopnuts' Husky Individuals?

LMAO

I'm at 286.

Shooting for 250.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Hey, I am a (UW) Husky nut, but sorry, we're all fatties here. We embrace it, because we know we have the power, ability, and knowledge to fix it. :)

Bwana
08-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Good luck dude, I have no doubt you will get it done. How bad do you want it?

Ceej
08-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Hey, I am a (UW) Husky nut, but sorry, we're all fatties here. We embrace it, because we know we have the power, ability, and knowledge to fix it. :)

NO!!!

I'm sticking with Husky, and that's all there is to it!

Let me be Husky or BAN ME!

Mr. Flopnuts
Count me in, Mr. Nuts.

However, can we go with Flopnuts' Husky Individuals?

LMAO

I'm at 286.

Shooting for 250.

Haha, you're in. I've talked to some others who want this to be on Facebook as they don't post here. I think that's a fine idea. I'm going to create a private group and link it here. If anyone's interested hit me up and let me know who you are.

milkman
I have never been overweight, but to all of you that are in this, I applaud you.

I know that I would never have the willpower and dedication to this that you will.

Ceej
08-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Haha, you're in. I've talked to some others who want this to be on Facebook as they don't post here. I think that's a fine idea. I'm going to create a private group and link it here. If anyone's interested hit me up and let me know who you are.

Sweet.

Post the FB group and I'll join.

Can we post nudes to the site to get the full effect too?

LMAO

Ceej
08-24-2012, 02:52 PM
CJIGGLES?!?!!?!?

BANNNN!!!!!!!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Funny.

You have to change Mr. plow to Mr. Plump then!

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 02:52 PM
BTW, God bless every one of you fuckers. I mean it. I've been talking about this, and planning this, and putting this off for weeks now. Right this second with this thread, the responses, and people signing up, it's real. And that is already affecting my decisions I made while I was out today. I'm actually getting started right now.

So, for that, I thank you all. I feel blessed to have this many people post in this thread, and sign up for this with me. It's amazing how much of an impact this website has made on my personal, real life.

I've had people on this website help me out in my real life. The last time I did this someone contacted me and sent me a couple of cases of protein shakes for after workouts, and is offering to do it again. I've had people spend hours trying to explain, and help me train to achieve my goals. I've had people offer to get together with me to show me how to do things. Yeah, don't doubt for a second that I'm blessed. This place is pretty fucking special.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 02:57 PM
I've never created a group on Facebook so I'll learn as I go. I think you can request to join as it's not just open. I've added a couple of you that I'm already friends with on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/374668429271072/

Ceej
08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Do you have a plan of attack on the FB group, Nuts?

Like maybe weigh-ins, updates, etc?

I was down nearly 12lbs, but a couple of visits back home really fucked me.

I'm down down 7-8lbs, which is a start, but nowhere close to where I want to be.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 03:11 PM
I've said "I'm in," and not followed through on several of these threads, so I won't embarrass myself further by doing so. I'm back coaching football after two years off, and I will never go into another season with as much weight as I'm carrying. It's just too damn hard on my body (plus, I'll be on espn tomorrow!).
I will say, though, good luck Flop. You're good people and I'm rooting for you.

I appreciate you, I know you and Jill on Facebook, and all I'm saying is that you're great, great, people. Welcome home, and if there is EVER anything I can do to assist you in achieving your goals, don't hesitate to hit me up. Ever.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 03:13 PM

I'm down down 7-8lbs, which is a start, but nowhere close to where I want to be.

I'd really like to keep it super mellow here on CP. We can do whatever everyone wants to do over on Facebook. However, I'm just one. If you all want to do weigh ins, and pictures, and shit, let me know. I'll update the thread starter, whatever you all want to do. I'm just glad to have you all with me.

Bump
08-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Just did my first workout, since a few months ago probably.

Started off weak, a few reps of weights and jogged about a mile. But it's a start.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 03:15 PM
BTW, holy fucking shit Buck! That's incredible. Still no gym, just food choices and keto has done that for you? We need to talk. I like food, if I can hit the gym and kill it while in keto that sounds great. Is this for life for you, or are you transitioning back to the deliciousness of potatoes and pasta? :D

HemiEd
08-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Good luck to you nuts, hope it works out for you long term this time.

I would love to lose 30 pounds myself, but it gets harder the older you get.

Count me in please Mr. Flopnuts, I like your chances better of losing a 100 than me losing 30.

6 ft. 231 this morning. 31.3 bmi, obese

Ceej
08-24-2012, 03:26 PM
I'd really like to keep it super mellow here on CP. We can do whatever everyone wants to do over on Facebook. However, I'm just one. If you all want to do weigh ins, and pictures, and shit, let me know. I'll update the thread starter, whatever you all want to do. I'm just glad to have you all with me.

That works for me.

MahiMike
08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm in! Already lost 10 lbs. in 1 month. 10 more to go!

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 03:30 PM
You're in guys, Ed I added you to the Facebook group as well. Let me know if you'd like to be removed. TIA.

Buck
08-24-2012, 03:31 PM
BTW, holy fucking shit Buck! That's incredible. Still no gym, just food choices and keto has done that for you? We need to talk. I like food, if I can hit the gym and kill it while in keto that sounds great. Is this for life for you, or are you transitioning back to the deliciousness of potatoes and pasta? :D

I will probably never eat potatoes or pasta again.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 03:41 PM

I'm going to look into it. I don't know if I want to do it for life. So I don't know if it's good for me, I've heard there is a "golden shot" your first time around. What I do know is the body will shed like a motherfucker for 3 months as it's going into shock, then it will adjust and weight loss becomes a bit more difficult. I want to slay those 3 months in whatever manner is necessary.

bevischief
08-24-2012, 03:44 PM

Just don't eat them every day once you reach your goal.

Mr. Plow
08-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Fuck you fatty.

Ceej
08-24-2012, 04:12 PM
**** you fatty.

I need to stick with Smirnoff Lights.

NewChief
08-24-2012, 04:13 PM

My wife is a vegetarian, so pasta was one of our staples. We now have it, maybe, once a week. I made a pretty amazing pasta substitute this week, though. Cooked up some gigantes beans (they're huge and potato esque), did a bunch of tomatoes, garlic, and basil to finish. It was close to eating gnocchi. Pretty awesome.

I know they're not much better, probably, from a keto standpoint, but we eat the hell out of sweet potatoes still. We don't touch "regular" potatoes except for the occasional chip or fry, though.

Setsuna
08-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm in. This belly fat has GOT TO GO!

LTL
08-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I have about 40 lbs I want to lose, so I would like in on this please.

Aspengc8
08-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Keto is a good idea if your considered obese. Other than that calories out and in is all that matters. Nothing wrong with potatoes or rice every night, as long as calories are in check.

Setsuna
08-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Do we have to be technically obese? Or can we just want to lose fat in certain places?

Ceej
08-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Do we have to be technically obese? Or can we just want to lose fat in certain places?

Flop' Fatties is always trying to expand and diversify.

Blacks are always welcome!

Setsuna
08-24-2012, 04:53 PM

ROFL LMAO LMAO ROFL THAT WAS NOT THE QUESTION!!!! :banghead: :harumph:

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 05:01 PM

As long as they're not Halfrican. I'll update the header. Welcome aboard fellas. You're good Setsuna, I know you're black as the Ace of Spades. We like you guys. Ever thought about running for President?

Bwana
08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I'll tell you what dude, I always weigh about 20-25 more pounds in the summer than the winter. BBQ, Beer, don't work out in the summer. I always start working out hard, right after Labor Day. I quit chewing about 5 months ago, so I'm up about 25 this year. Surprisingly, I sport the extra 20-25 pounds fairly well, but I don't feel a fast. Count me in after Labor Day.

Planetman
08-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm considering joint this group. My superhero tights are starting to get a wee bit snug these days.

Hammock Parties
08-24-2012, 05:12 PM
I'll tell you what dude, I always weigh about 20-25 more pounds in the summer than the winter. BBQ, Beer, don't work out in the summer. I always start working out hard, right after Labor Day. I quit chewing about 5 months ago, so I'm up about 25 this year. Surprisingly, I sport the extra 20-25 pounds fairly well, but I don't feel a fast. Count me in after Labor Day.

That's interesting. For a lot of people it's the opposite.

Ceej
I'm considering joint this group. My superhero tights are starting to get a wee bit snug these days.

HOW RUDE!!!!!

Didn't you read Flop had a smoking problem?!?!!?

LOW BLOW!!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Bwana
Oh as far as Facebook, not going to happen. I have never had it and never will. I'm kind of a driven intense dude, (those here who know me in real life can back that) so I'm not worried about it. I will do my thing and report back to you guys here, if that works?

pr_capone
08-24-2012, 05:16 PM
In... started the year at my heaviest point ever (317) and as of today am down to 282. Still a gigantic fat ass but plugging away at it. I've asked my work to extend my lunch break by a half an hour so that I can get to the gym (yes, we have a gym and showers at my work) between work sessions. Hopefully they can make the schedule work for them.

As for the normal weight loss stuff... really I am just being careful with what I eat. Trying my best to stay around 1500 calories per day. Doesn't always pan out but pretty damn close. I need to go down by a minimum of another 50lb.

GloryDayz
08-24-2012, 05:17 PM
You go man.... Just never lose you! Be healthy, but be happy. I workout 5 days a week because i love it. Now, the treadmill is something that gets 20 minutes, NOT 21! It sucks, and I find it's usually what makes folks quit! For those who love it, good for you! I know when I lift, I lift with my son or alone - I can't stand chit-chat at the gym, but that's just me. For those of you chit-chatters, good for you (just move it to the sauna and get off the weights when you're talking).

What I'm saying is find what you love, and do it a often.

Just never quit!

Great job and a great choice man...

Bwana
08-24-2012, 05:17 PM

Yeah, I hear that all the time, but like I said, I eat a lot of Q / drink a lot more beer in the summer. Add to that the fact I DON'T work out in the summer, and there you have it. I bought one hell of a nice mountain bike earlier in the summer and hit the trails once with the damn thing. I need to stick to running, weights, the heavy bag and kick boxing. I spent a lot of years training people one on one, so I'm very good at smoking the weight, I just need to get started every September.

Planetman
08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
HOW RUDE!!!!!

LOW BLOW!!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO
Damn you, autocorrect!

NewChief
08-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I hear that all the time, but like I said, I eat a lot of Q / drink a lot more beer in the summer. Add to that the fact I DON'T work out in the summer, and there you have it. I bought one hell of a nice mountain bike earlier in the summer and hit the trails once with the damn thing. I need to stick to running, weights, the heavy bag and kick boxing. I spent a lot of years training people one on one, so I'm very good at smoking the weight, I just need to get started every September.

This is me. Every year I intend to stay lean and mean through the summer, but I get off my routine because I'm not reporting to my regular job (teaching). When I'm at work every day, I can regulate my diet easily. When I'm at home, hanging with the kids, going out on daytrip adventures with them, and such... it's really easy to have 2-3 "splurge" lunches, breakfasts, or brunches in a week. Those things add up pretty quick.

I work out more and am more active in the summer, but I also sit around and eat shit with the kids way more and drink a hell of a lot more beer.

I'm probably 10 lbs. heavy at the moment.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 05:29 PM
HOW RUDE!!!!!

LOW BLOW!!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Nah. I discovered that while Branson is a bit behind, sooner or later everything catches up. :bong: It's not that much more money than Seattle either, so bonus. Of course it's not as good, but it's certainly close enough. Everything is gravy on that train.

Bwana
08-24-2012, 05:30 PM
This is me. Every year I intend to stay lean and mean through the summer, but I get off my routine because I'm not reporting to my regular job (teaching). When I'm at work every day, I can regulate my diet easily. When I'm at home, hanging with the kids, going out on daytrip adventures with them, and such... it's really easy to have 2-3 "splurge" lunches, breakfasts, or brunches in a week. Those things add up pretty quick.

I work out more and am more active in the summer, but I also sit around and eat shit with the kids way more and drink a hell of a lot more beer.

I'm probably 10 lbs. heavy at the moment.

Yeah, it doesn't take long to hang on a few pounds if a guy is pounding the Q and beverages. I just like to take 3 months to say screw it during the summer, because the winters can be such a bitch around here. Enjoy it while you can.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Oh as far as Facebook, not going to happen. I have never had it and never will. I'm kind of a driven intense dude, (those here who know me in real life can back that) so I'm not worried about it. I will do my thing and report back to you guys here, if that works?

Of course. Facebook optional, I really only planned on doing it here. Welcome aboard. I do know someone that knows you personally. You're a fuckin grizzly bear. :D

Bwana
08-24-2012, 05:32 PM

Side note: Are you still kicking ass in the gym. From what I remember, you smoked a ton of weight and go into top notch shape.

Bwana
08-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Of course. Facebook optional, I really only planned on doing it here. Welcome aboard. I do know someone that knows you personally. You're a ****in grizzly bear. :D

Heh, you have to be talking about Hondo, he's a good shit. We spent some time atving this summer and drained a few beers after the rides. (The last time too many!) He is up at Cooke this weekend hanging out with the grizzly's. I was up there for the last two weeks. I did chase a grizz off the traill last week with my Polaris. He didn't want anything to do with that machine. Lets just say it's not exactly stock and makes a lot more noise than an OEM. :)

Cooke last week:

Mr. Flopnuts
08-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Hondo is awesome. As soon as I can keep up, I'm rolling up for some Montana Grizzly Bears and Alaskan Ambers with you guys. That'd be a helluvan adventure for my west coast city livin ass. :D

Bwana
08-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Hondo is awesome. As soon as I can keep up, I'm rolling up for some Montana Grizzly Bears and Alaskan Ambers with you guys. That'd be a helluvan adventure for my west coast city livin ass. :D

Yes it would! :D You just let us know.

Buck
08-27-2012, 02:50 PM
What's the deal Flop?

I thought you were going to be an attention whore here...

Saulbadguy
08-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Eat raw meat, shit vegetables.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-27-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm trying to figure out my plan for attack. I've stopped eating out, and am eating better. I'm even eating less, and no drinking at all. We've been talking on the Facebook page, and I'm kind of leaning toward keto, but I need a lot more info. I want to fucking crush the first 90 days, then I want to transition back into a more normal life long lifestyle. There's no reason I can't lose 100-120lbs or MORE in 3 months.

That said, I need to get off my fat, fucking ass and move if I'm going to make that happen. Help me Buck, make me a Keto master. I DON'T WANT TO JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIICCE!

burt
08-27-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm trying to figure out my plan for attack. I've stopped eating out, and am eating better. I'm even eating less, and no drinking at all. We've been talking on the Facebook page, and I'm kind of leaning toward keto, but I need a lot more info. I want to fucking crush the first 90 days, then I want to transition back into a more normal life long lifestyle. There's no reason I can't lose 100-120lbs or MORE in 3 months.

That said, I need to get off my fat, fucking ass and move if I'm going to make that happen. Help me Buck, make me a Keto master. I DON'T WANT TO JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIICCE!

Its taken me over 5 months to lose 50 pounds. But I am not starving myself. Just watching my intake. Luv and Buck are inspirational for me! I took a pic this weekend and realized that I am still a fat fuck, so I am now jogging. 220 or bust.....

Ceej
08-27-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out my plan for attack. I've stopped eating out, and am eating better. I'm even eating less, and no drinking at all. We've been talking on the Facebook page, and I'm kind of leaning toward keto, but I need a lot more info. I want to ****ing crush the first 90 days, then I want to transition back into a more normal life long lifestyle. There's no reason I can't lose 100-120lbs or MORE in 3 months.

That said, I need to get off my fat, ****ing ass and move if I'm going to make that happen. Help me Buck, make me a Keto master. I DON'T WANT TO JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIICCE!

That's what I did and it worked great short term for me. No more eating out, no more alcohol and no more pop. Like I mentioned in the group I was down around 11 pounds or so in about a month or so. I even walked a bit, but not too much.

That's my plan of attack again.

luv
08-27-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm trying to figure out my plan for attack. I've stopped eating out, and am eating better. I'm even eating less, and no drinking at all. We've been talking on the Facebook page, and I'm kind of leaning toward keto, but I need a lot more info. I want to ****ing crush the first 90 days, then I want to transition back into a more normal life long lifestyle. There's no reason I can't lose 100-120lbs or MORE in 3 months.

That said, I need to get off my fat, ****ing ass and move if I'm going to make that happen. Help me Buck, make me a Keto master. I DON'T WANT TO JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIICCE!

Just remember that it's marathon, not a sprint. Don't get caught up in wanting to see instant results. If you're making a lifestyle change, just make the change.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Just remember that it's marathon, not a sprint. Don't get caught up in wanting to see instant results. If you're making a lifestyle change, just make the change.

I appreciate it. This is a different approach that I'm taking that I honestly wouldn't recommend for very many people. I've done this. I've lost 185lbs. I knew exactly what to do to keep losing and live a great, healthy, athletic, lifestyle.

Then I fucked the whole thing up and put 100lbs on. Okay. No. Big. Deal. (bullshit, it sucks) I know what to do when I get there, but I also know that I have 90 days to achieve ridiculous results. From there, it's all like before. So I think I'm going to take my "golden shot".

Mr. Flopnuts
08-27-2012, 04:34 PM
That's what I did and it worked great short term for me. No more eating out, no more alcohol and no more pop. Like I mentioned in the group I was down around 11 pounds or so in about a month or so. I even walked a bit, but not too much.

That's my plan of attack again.

That's awesome. Exercise is good for the mind, as well as the body. I would suggest giving 30 days of pain to it, and see how you feel about it at the end. If you can make it 30 days, I'd bet money you wouldn't want to quit. It's incredible what it does for the endorphines in your brain, let alone the physical athleticism, and weight loss. Just my 2 cents, bro.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Its taken me over 5 months to lose 50 pounds. But I am not starving myself. Just watching my intake. Luv and Buck are inspirational for me! I took a pic this weekend and realized that I am still a fat fuck, so I am now jogging. 220 or bust.....

I've been watching you on Facebook. Why aren't you in our group? Fuck that, Burt. You're a Flopnuts Fatty now. I'm going to add you to the thread header and put you in the Facebook group.

P.S- You're doing fucking phenomenal! Keep it up!

Mr. Flopnuts
08-27-2012, 04:39 PM
If anyone wants to track their weight publicly, feel free. I've set it up in the thread header. 1 awesome thing I've got going now is I got a new Bodybugg. I used that little bad boy when I lost my weight the first time and it was awesome for tracking calorie burn, and forcing me to read labels, and measure my food (most of the time) when I was using it.

It's totally outdated, there are better, cheaper products on the market, but I got the one that links with smart phones and a 6 month subscription to the website for $100. That's fuckin smokin! I should get that in a week or so. Really looking forward to it.

I'm going to get off my ass and exercise in the morning. I will be truthful about it. If I don't, I would appreciate tons of ridicule. :)

Saulbadguy
08-27-2012, 05:56 PM
just ate some peanut butter. HOLLLLLLAH

morphius
08-27-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm going for being more consistent with my workouts, over the summer I got pretty lax, especially with trips and my AC not really doing a great job keeping up with the 110 degree days. Lost 4 lbs already just this week. I don't have too much to lose though. Good luck guys/gals!

"Bob" Dobbs
08-27-2012, 07:03 PM
My deal is I just haven't felt like eating for the last few days... so I haven't. That can't be good, though.

Buck
08-27-2012, 07:03 PM

If you adhere to these rules, in the first 90 days you'll lose probably at least 100 lbs.

1. Strict 65% Fat - 30% Protein - 5% (or less) Carbs (by calorie)

2. Less than 20 g Net Carbs a day (Total Carbs minus Fiber)

3. Start out at 2000 Net Calories a day (Food minus exercise) and within 2 weeks get down to 1500 Net Calories a day.

4. No Sugar, Bread, Potatoes, Pasta, Rice, Fruit, Milk, Soda

If you can do all that, you'll be down 100 in your first 90 days.

cabletech94
08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
If you adhere to these rules, in the first 90 days you'll lose probably at least 100 lbs.

3. Start out at 2000 Net Calories a day (Food minus exercise) and within 2 weeks get down to 1500 Net Calories a day.

seriously, what about diet soda?
last summer, i cut out ALL carbs. i was a nasty little cabletech for that month. then i gradually added around 15-30 total carbs a meal. i was around 235. i went in for knee surgery in late october and was right @ 200.
the surgery kicked my ass (and i sat on said ass, a lot). probably gained back 20. i'm back to 210, with a total goal around 190.

most of my fat is muscle, so you know.

Buck
08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
last summer, i cut out ALL carbs. i was a nasty little cabletech for that month. then i gradually added around 15-30 total carbs a meal. i was around 235. i went in for knee surgery in late october and was right @ 200.
the surgery kicked my ass (and i sat on said ass, a lot). probably gained back 20. i'm back to 210, with a total goal around 190.

most of my fat is muscle, so you know.

Well you wouldn't lose 100, but Flop has a lot more to lose...

In 90 Days I lost about 50 lbs.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2012, 07:31 PM
cut the carbs

Ceej
08-27-2012, 07:32 PM
just ate some peanut butter. HOLLLLLLAH

Plain?

Weirdo.

mlyonsd
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM

most of my fat is muscle, so you know.fat is muscle?

NewChief
08-27-2012, 07:37 PM

Did you give up beer?

mlyonsd
08-27-2012, 07:39 PM
that's crazy talk

SAUTO
08-27-2012, 07:40 PM
give up potatoes

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2012, 07:41 PM
I shun bread

Saulbadguy
08-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Plain?

Weirdo.

With some Snyders of Hanover Pretzel nibblers.

zonachief
08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Flopnuts. In in with ya man.

I started a year and half ago and lost 85 lbs. Last month or so, I havent been as strict on my food. Im still working out, too. I havent lost any Lbs in about a month and half, but I thankfully I have not gained any though,

I was at 287 at 5'2 (A short, round mofo!) and now am around 200.

I think I have the maintain part down, but I need to lose about 30 more and muscle up.

I need a kick in the arse and posting here helped me so much, like it did for you, Im back in with you, and good luck sir!!

LETS DO THIS!

Buck
08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Did you give up beer?

Yes.

Saul Good
08-27-2012, 07:47 PM
I appreciate it. This is a different approach that I'm taking that I honestly wouldn't recommend for very many people. I've done this. I've lost 185lbs. I knew exactly what to do to keep losing and live a great, healthy, athletic, lifestyle.

Then I fucked the whole thing up and put 100lbs on. Okay. No. Big. Deal. (bullshit, it sucks) I know what to do when I get there, but I also know that I have 90 days to achieve ridiculous results. From there, it's all like before. So I think I'm going to take my "golden shot".

If you want a lifestyle idea, I can tell you what works for me (keeping in mind that the most overweight I've ever been is maybe 20-25 pounds).

I eat a Kashi granola bar for breakfast and have a couple of walnuts around 10:00. Costco sells huge bags of them for cheap, and they are delicious. I go out for lunch every day just like I always have (and this plus beer is why I pack on the pounds to begin with), but I only eat half of my meal. I then eat the rest of the meal for dinner, and I'm all set. I might have a small snack in the evening, but I try not to get carried away. Even if I do get carried away once in a while, that's nothing compared to eating the equivalent of one large meal total for lunch and dinner instead of two.

The key for me really is portion control. I can eat an enormous amount of food when I let myself go. The more I eat one day, the more I can eat (and want to eat) the next day. If I can just go two days of eating small meals, my stomach shrinks down to a fraction of it's previous size. Then, I can't even fathom eating a full restaurant meal.

threebag
08-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Kick ass fellas. Best of luck to all who are looking for a thinner lyfestyle.

cabletech94
08-27-2012, 09:43 PM
fat is muscle?

mine is, yousonofabitch!!!!!!!o:-)

(i'm a goddamned brick house that can't lose this fuggin spare tire)

Ceej
08-27-2012, 10:19 PM
With some Snyders of Hanover Pretzel nibblers.

I remember eating plain peanut butter when I was a young jizzles.

One time I almost choked and died on it.

True story.

Thinking about making it into a Lifetime movie.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-28-2012, 05:26 AM
If anyone wants to track their weight publicly, feel free. I've set it up in the thread header. 1 awesome thing I've got going now is I got a new Bodybugg. I used that little bad boy when I lost my weight the first time and it was awesome for tracking calorie burn, and forcing me to read labels, and measure my food (most of the time) when I was using it.

It's totally outdated, there are better, cheaper products on the market, but I got the one that links with smart phones and a 6 month subscription to the website for $100. That's fuckin smokin! I should get that in a week or so. Really looking forward to it.

I'm going to get off my ass and exercise in the morning. I will be truthful about it. If I don't, I would appreciate tons of ridicule. :)

Just got back. Sweating, panting, and loving it.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/987/fyeah.jpg

Saulbadguy
08-28-2012, 05:27 AM
Yes.

FUCK. THAT.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-28-2012, 05:31 AM
FUCK. THAT.

I pictured your avatar saying that when I read it.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-28-2012, 12:16 PM
So, I found myself wanting to eat bullshit today. I ate a cup of popcorn at work, but that's all I've had outside of 2% milk in my coffee. I busted my ass this morning, and was just sitting here jonesing for a burger from the diner down the street where my BIL works. He was out of smokes and I decided to take him some.

Got my car to the top of the lot, and said fuck this, turned around and parked. Huffed the steps to drop my keys off and grab my mp3 player and walked up there. Branson is hilly as a motherfucker, and I think it's all uphill! In any case, I got up there and gave him his smokes, took a deep breath of that wonderful smelling hamburger meat cooking, and walked out.

I walked another 30 minutes and took the long way home. I'm fucking beat! I'm pretty much carrying Buck on my back everywhere I go. Can't believe I let this happen...Oh well, here we go! Now, what to have for lunch? I'll ponder that until sometime around dinner.

loochy
08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
So, I found myself wanting to eat bullshit today. I ate a cup of popcorn at work, but that's all I've had outside of 2% milk in my coffee. I busted my ass this morning, and was just sitting here jonesing for a burger from the diner down the street where my BIL works. He was out of smokes and I decided to take him some.

Got my car to the top of the lot, and said fuck this, turned around and parked. Huffed the steps to drop my keys off and grab my mp3 player and walked up there. Branson is hilly as a motherfucker, and I think it's all uphill! In any case, I got up there and gave him his smokes, took a deep breath of that wonderful smelling hamburger meat cooking, and walked out.

I walked another 30 minutes and took the long way home. I'm fucking beat! I'm pretty much carrying Buck on my back everywhere I go. Can't believe I let this happen...Oh well, here we go! Now, what to have for lunch? I'll ponder that until sometime around dinner.

Go eat a couple of cucumbers and drink a liter of water. You'll be stuffed.

Frosty
08-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I think I would like to get in on this. Some public accountability might help get me over the hump of perpetually restarting.

I've been maintaining a 30 lb loss for 14 years now but my body seems to love to stay at the current 200 lbs, which is still a little too heavy. My clothes seem to fit best and I feel best around 170 - 175.

Two years ago, I got down to 169 lbs doing zero carb. It worked great for a while but I ended up nuking my thyroid in the process (super cold all of the time, zero energy and started regaining weight even though the diet didn't change). I went back to a mixed diet and ended up gorging on all of the stuff I hadn't gotten to eat in a while. I ended up regaining right back to 200 lbs. :rolleyes:

I have found that I can maintain like a mfer on a mixed diet but can't lose for shit. I am thinking of going back to very low carb to lose but mix in some refeeds and diet breaks to keep the thyroid happy this time.

The problem is getting started. I keep planning it, starting it, then stopping after a couple of days for "one last splurge" which derails me for a couple of weeks before I restart again.

I have a (probably stupid) question about the Facebook group - would posts there show up on my wall?

Mr. Flopnuts
08-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Whoa. You had thyroid issues from going zero carb?

Mr. Flopnuts
08-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I think I would like to get in on this. Some public accountability might help get me over the hump of perpetually restarting.

I've been maintaining a 30 lb loss for 14 years now but my body seems to love to stay at the current 200 lbs, which is still a little too heavy. My clothes seem to fit best and I feel best around 170 - 175.

Two years ago, I got down to 169 lbs doing zero carb. It worked great for a while but I ended up nuking my thyroid in the process (super cold all of the time, zero energy and started regaining weight even though the diet didn't change). I went back to a mixed diet and ended up gorging on all of the stuff I hadn't gotten to eat in a while. I ended up regaining right back to 200 lbs. :rolleyes:

I have found that I can maintain like a mfer on a mixed diet but can't lose for shit. I am thinking of going back to very low carb to lose but mix in some refeeds and diet breaks to keep the thyroid happy this time.

The problem is getting started. I keep planning it, starting it, then stopping after a couple of days for "one last splurge" which derails me for a couple of weeks before I restart again.

I have a (probably stupid) question about the Facebook group - would posts there show up on my wall?

It's a closed group, so I don't think your friends would see it, however, if they do, I don't have a problem changing it to a secret group, the problem I had was people being able to click the link and sign up.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Go eat a couple of cucumbers and drink a liter of water. You'll be stuffed.

Good idea.

LTL
08-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Started day one of c25k this morning. Damn I didn't realize how out of shape I had gotten.
The real change will have to happen in the kitchen as my eating habits have been crap. Oh and water, must drink more water.

Frosty
08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Whoa. You had thyroid issues from going zero carb?

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=1743

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=2028

It doesn't happen to everyone and it seems to be avoided by consuming about 50 g carbs per day.

When you go very low carb (VLC), your body tries to maintain blood sugar levels through the glycogen stored in your liver. Eventually your body switches over to ketones for fuel, reducing the need for glucose. However, not everything in your body can run on ketones, so some glucose is still necessary (about 50 g /day). If you aren't eating carbs that glucose has to come primarily from converting protein to glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Gluconeogenesis isn't very efficient, though, and it takes about 2g of protein for 1g of glucose. If you aren't getting enough protein or exercising too hard (like long distance running or biking) you can end up in a state of permanently depleted liver glycogen, which is a sign of starvation to the body. The body reacts to this by slowing the metabolism (through the thyroid).

Refeeds and diet breaks work because they replenish the liver glycogen, signalling the thyroid that everything is fine and you aren't starving. Also, I think some people are just better at gluconeogenesis and can keep their glycogen topped off.

BTW, if you do LC below 50g/day, you need to increase your protein intake quite a bit to avoid losing muscle while trying to maintain blood sugar levels.

keg in kc
08-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Sorry to hear you had a bit of a relapse flop. Stay with it. You've done it before. You can do it again. Just try to focus on changing your life from now on, and not just hitting a certain point where you'll be satisfied with what you've done. Permanent change, versus a temporary goal. I say that not to lecture, but because that's always the struggle for me. I stop and I start, I take one step forward and two back. Year after year after year...

So what I'm saying is that the january 1st goal is great. But also put some focus on changing you forever. Never settle.

Bit on me without getting too far into it: I'm just about to drop below 200 pounds for the first time since the mid 90s. My diet (meaning my eating habits) still isn't quite what it needs to be, but I've shed 30 pounds since last July 4th, 20 pounds since early February this year, and about 10 pounds since July 4th this year. My weight yesterday morning was 200.4 pounds, and I think by October 1 I should be settled somewhere between 195 and 200. What I really have to work on now is toning my midsection (I'm 6'0 but have a 41" waist - this is where my diet's a problem...) but all-in-all I'm pretty happy with how things are going. I'm in better shape than I've probably been in 20 years. I hurt my knee at the beach in late June, but I've been able to start running again recently. Hope to be able to handle a steady (slow) 2 miles in the next week. And I've been biking my ass off. I'm about to hit 1,500 miles for the year, my pace is generally around or above 15 mph (compared to 13-14 last year). And a couple of days ago I managed 40 miles in just under 2 hours and 45 minutes (I did take a break of about 10 minutes right around 30 miles, so it was closer to 3 hours total time), which was a personal best.

I have a feeling we'll see you here in january telling a similar story. I know you can do it.

Frosty
08-28-2012, 01:52 PM
It's keg! I thought maybe you left forever or something.

Frosty
08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
BTW, I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from doing keto or anything like that. I was doing zero carb, not what Buck was talking about, so wasn't getting any carb at all. I was just pointing out that there were a few things to watch for.

I have to say that nothing kills my appetite like ZC. I almost have to remind myself to eat.

keg in kc
08-28-2012, 02:38 PM
It's keg! I thought maybe you left forever or something.Nah, just a little offseason vacation. It helps the sanity.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks Keg. That's where I'm at. I said often times over the last couple of years I was making a conscious decision to get fat again. At least I know what to do, how to do it, and I'm not in nearly as poor of shape as I was the first time. Life's good. I'm just impatient as a motherfucker.

Buck
08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=1743

http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=2028

It doesn't happen to everyone and it seems to be avoided by consuming about 50 g carbs per day.

When you go very low carb (VLC), your body tries to maintain blood sugar levels through the glycogen stored in your liver. Eventually your body switches over to ketones for fuel, reducing the need for glucose. However, not everything in your body can run on ketones, so some glucose is still necessary (about 50 g /day). If you aren't eating carbs that glucose has to come primarily from converting protein to glucose (gluconeogenesis).

Gluconeogenesis isn't very efficient, though, and it takes about 2g of protein for 1g of glucose. If you aren't getting enough protein or exercising too hard (like long distance running or biking) you can end up in a state of permanently depleted liver glycogen, which is a sign of starvation to the body. The body reacts to this by slowing the metabolism (through the thyroid).

Refeeds and diet breaks work because they replenish the liver glycogen, signalling the thyroid that everything is fine and you aren't starving. Also, I think some people are just better at gluconeogenesis and can keep their glycogen topped off.

BTW, if you do LC below 50g/day, you need to increase your protein intake quite a bit to avoid losing muscle while trying to maintain blood sugar levels.

Just wondering how old you are.

Frosty
08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Just wondering how old you are.

Was 46 when started ZC.

Buck
08-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Was 46 when started ZC.

When I went to the doc he gave me a clean bill of health and said my thyroid was okay.

I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it.

Don't you have gluten-allergies too? Could your problems with zero Carb possibly be elated to some inherent issue with that sensitivity?

Frosty
08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
When I went to the doc he gave me a clean bill of health and said my thyroid was okay.

I'm wondering if age has anything to do with it.

Don't you have gluten-allergies too? Could your problems with zero Carb possibly be elated to some inherent issue with that sensitivity?

Maybe. I've always had a hard time getting keto adapted. It takes me a long time to get over the carb flu when going low carb.

However, the studies back up what I said. VLC mimics starvation so it isn't surprising that your body would react to VLC as it would starvation (slowing the metabolism). Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be a permanent adaptation, so refeeds and diet breaks are useful to overcome the problem.

I was very active in the ZC and VLC communities and knew quite a few people, both young and older, that had the same kind of reaction to long term VLC. I also knew a lot of people that seemed to take to it well over the long term, so it seems highly individualistic.

I'm not bashing it. It worked great for me for quick weight loss; I just can't stay on it long term.

jiveturkey
08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I've been on Paleo for a while now and I'm down 45 lbs on the year. My weight is below what it was when I was 19 and my performance exceeds what I was at during my physical peak in the military.

I recommend it to everyone that asks and to family members that don't.

It's lower carb than a standard diet but I personally eat fruit everyday and I eat veggies that are high in carbs. Going extreme low carb seems to f with me.

It's basically the elimination of sugar and grains (rice, wheat, corn...). One of the best books that I can recommend is http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Paleo-Customized-Whole-Foods-Lifestyle/dp/1936608758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346190788&sr=8-1&keywords=balanced+bites

The recipes rock and she breaks down the diet in a very basic way. There's a lot of other books that get way more scientific but those seem to scare people away.

Sign up for this newsletter and get yourself his workout book http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/#axzz24l6P4cJj

It's helped me simplify things. I no longer f around with long distance cardio and I regularly kick my own ass with his sprinting program. My friend who is a marathoner was blown away by basic sprints and we were both sore as a mofo after our first attempt. It's a great workout. I also dig the basic pullup/pushup workouts. I'm building muscle faster that I ever did with crazy weight workouts.

jiveturkey
08-28-2012, 04:03 PM
And I requested to join the group.

morphius
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I've been on Paleo for a while now and I'm down 45 lbs on the year. My weight is below what it was when I was 19 and my performance exceeds what I was at during my physical peak in the military.

I recommend it to everyone that asks and to family members that don't.

It's lower carb than a standard diet but I personally eat fruit everyday and I eat veggies that are high in carbs. Going extreme low carb seems to f with me.

It's basically the elimination of sugar and grains (rice, wheat, corn...). One of the best books that I can recommend is http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Paleo-Customized-Whole-Foods-Lifestyle/dp/1936608758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346190788&sr=8-1&keywords=balanced+bites

The recipes rock and she breaks down the diet in a very basic way. There's a lot of other books that get way more scientific but those seem to scare people away.

Sign up for this newsletter and get yourself his workout book http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/#axzz24l6P4cJj

It's helped me simplify things. I no longer f around with long distance cardio and I regularly kick my own ass with his sprinting program. My friend who is a marathoner was blown away by basic sprints and we were both sore as a mofo after our first attempt. It's a great workout. I also dig the basic pullup/pushup workouts. I'm building muscle faster that I ever did with crazy weight workouts.
For cardio I do prefer HIIT, it can be a killer compared to most other routines. I'm trying to work my way back into it as earlier this year I was doing 60 second sprints, 60 seconds rest 10 times.