PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Missing Piece

Black Bob
08-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Is it me or did it seem like we didn't really try to run the ball last night? Charles was hardly in there. Hillis wasn't in there at all. We never committed to the run. In the regular season, our entire style of play will be based on the running game. Possession will be key for this team's success and the defense was on the field a long time last night. We willl live and die by the run this year.

I think the coaching staff ran a vanilla offense that was purposly stacked against the players. This is why I'm not worried. Romeo's best quality is that he's a true teacher. Last night was a lesson. We never tried to run. We just half assed it. We will unleash the hounds when the season starts.

Dave Lane
08-25-2012, 06:57 AM
If we are going to win more than 5 games this year we are going to need to take a page out of Denvers playbook and only have Cassel pass 5-6 times a game period. I also recommend we punt on 3rd down alot. It will ease the pain somewhat.

acesn8s
08-25-2012, 06:57 AM
So, as an opposing team, all we have to do is stop the run?

Black Bob
08-25-2012, 06:59 AM
So, as an opposing team, all we have to do is stop the run?

You'll have to stop it without stacking the box.

milkman
08-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Yeah, this team is going to win some games this year with the exact formula you are outlining.

It seems clear to me that DaBoll was focussing on trying to open up the passing game last night, to get the outside receivers involved more.

It was a failed experiment and I think he learned that this is not an offense that can ask the QB to make plays, because the QB we have can't.

But you know what.

Until we get a QB that can make plays, we are going to be doing exactly what we've been doing for the last 43 years.

Watching other teams compete for the Lombardi.

bevischief
08-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Yeah, this team is going to win some games this year with the exact formula you are outlining.

It seems clear to me that DaBoll was focussing on trying to open up the passing game last night, to get the outside receivers involved more.

It was a failed experiment and I think he learned that this is not an offense that can ask the QB to make plays, because the QB we have can't.

But you know what.

Until we get a QB that can make plays, we are going to be doing exactly what we've been doing for the last 43 years.

Your right. Hopefully the powers that be see that as well.

Black Bob
08-25-2012, 07:41 AM

But you know what.

I agree but the deck was stacked against him from the beginning of the game.

bevischief
08-25-2012, 07:43 AM
I agree but the deck was stacked against him from the beginning of the game.

As it will be all season long...

Black Bob
08-25-2012, 07:47 AM
As it will be all season long...

I don't think so. I'm not a big Cassel fan by any means but, they won't be asking him to throw it like that all night.

Dave Lane
08-25-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't think so. I'm not a big Cassel fan by any means but, they won't be asking him to throw it like that all night.

Those 3-4 yard passes will wear a guy out, seriously I'm not sure if you are trolling or a dumbass but Cassel is the worst starting QB to ever don a Chiefs uniform.

milkman
08-25-2012, 08:02 AM

Defenses are going to stack the box and dare Matt Cassel to beat them.

If Charles is Charles, and Hillis play the way he is capable of, and this O-Line gels, that won't be a problem.

However, if we can't run the ball and the game does end up in the hands of Cassel, this team will struggle mightily.

milkman
08-25-2012, 08:03 AM
In today's NFL, the running game should be a complement to the passing game, not vice-versa.

InChiefsHeaven
08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Couldn't watch the game, got to a radio when it was 16-0. I figured that's why we were not running the ball. Sounds like we were not running at all.

That's a lot to ask of Cassel. Hope you are right.

Rasputin
08-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Wait..

for...

it.........

the Wildcat.

I'm halfway joking with this but lmao Herm tried it and I think history is going repeat itself. I'm sure the hell not promoting this, but I think they are going pull all the punches to try to get something to work. We allready saw (in preseason mind you) a trickery of sorts play that should have been saved for regular season (not vanilla). It started out looking brilliant and maybe if Casshole pulled the trigger in time we could have pulled it off but ultimately it was utter fail. So beware of an offense that is delusional & try things out of desparation. Much like the Wildcat. (oh,btw wouldn't surprise me if they had McCluster throw the ball out of that formation) Desparate teams do desparate things.

Coogs
08-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Wait..

for...

it.........

the Wildcat.

I'm halfway joking with this but lmao Herm tried it and I think history is going repeat itself. I'm sure the hell not promoting this, but I think they are going pull all the punches to try to get something to work. We allready saw (in preseason mind you) a trickery of sorts play that should have been saved for regular season (not vanilla). It started out looking brilliant and maybe if Casshole pulled the trigger in time we could have pulled it off but ultimately it was utter fail. So beware of an offense that is delusional & try things out of desparation. Much like the Wildcat. (oh,btw wouldn't surprise me if they had McCluster throw the ball out of that formation) Desparate teams do desparate things.

Marv Levy's Wing-T of the late 70's and early 80's might just work with this lineup. And I am halfway serious.

TEX
08-25-2012, 08:52 AM

But you know what.

Yep. Exactly this.
Bottom line is this team should be much farther along in year 4 of Pioli - It should have a real QB.

TLO
08-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Defenses are going to stack the box and dare Matt Cassel to beat them.

If Charles is Charles, and Hillis play the way he is capable of, and this O-Line gels, that won't be a problem.

However, if we can't run the ball and the game does end up in the hands of Cassel, this team will struggle mightily.

I tried to twist this into somehow having faith in Cassel leading us on a game winning drive or two... But I just can't.

Extra Point
08-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Coogs, I have to somewhat agree on the Wing T, but we have to go with a single RB, given receiver talent/pay.

McCluster with the most catches? Eachus with the most yards?

"This was the brightest spot of the night." Scott Pioli, watching on live TV, while being watched, his team going nowhere.

The missing piece is between Cassel's ears.

Black Bob
08-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Good stuff all. There were too many short passes. Again, I think it will be different when the season starts. To be successful, we are going to have to get ahead because Cassel will struggle if he has to come from behind. Cassel will either get it done or he won't. Either way the questions about him will be answered this season and we will move on if he sucks. When we get into the regular season and start game planning, I really think the results will be much much better.

dmahurin
08-25-2012, 09:54 AM
You'll have to stop it without stacking the box.

Why can't they stack the box? Are they afraid Cassel will beat them downfield with with his arm? ROFL

RustShack
08-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Teams will get back to rushing a lot again. Just like it flips between 4-3 and 3-4 being the best defense. Teams are building to stop heavy passing attacks, we might be able to take advantage of that.

RustShack
08-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Why can't they stack the box? Are they afraid Cassel will beat them downfield with with his arm? ROFL

I think it has to do more with Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, McCluster, Moeaki, and Boss. Even Cassel can hit someone if theres 8 or 9 in the box stopping the run.

Ace Gunner
08-25-2012, 10:48 AM
If you can't stop the run, you can't win in the NFL no matter who your QB is. The Chiefs' front seven have been an absolute comedy so far. If they don't get that straightened out early on, this team is going to pick top 10 in 2013.

milkman
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Teams will get back to rushing a lot again. Just like it flips between 4-3 and 3-4 being the best defense. Teams are building to stop heavy passing attacks, we might be able to take advantage of that.

The difference between flipping back and 4th from the 34 to the 43 is that the NFL has set up the rules to favor the passing game.

The NFL won't ever be a run dominant league again because there's no real advantage.

Teams that rely on the run, who don't have a QB that can take over games and pass the ball with the best QBs in the league are at a huge disavantage.

One or two mistakes can put the game out of reach for that running team.