PDA

View Full Version : Life Give me your job advice

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Not that I'm going to take it seriously from a bunch of people I mostly don't know but I'm at a crossroads and all input is something to gnaw on. Plus I know that CP is littered with the brightest, most insightful, intelligent and attractive people anywhere on the internet. (Blatent suck up)

I have a new job opportunity that came out of nowhere. I think I would like it quite a bit. I love what I do now but I'm also planning to move away in roughly 2 years once my daughter goes to college... maybe for another job in the same arena... maybe not.

The postitives about the new job are that it pays nearly 10k a year more and it's in an area I have experience in and have enjoyed... and do quite of bit of already in my current job. It's also working for a guy who would be my boss who I like, respect and have worked for before.

The negatives are that the hours will sometimes be insane as in including some very late nights some weekends. I'd also have to do quite a bit of budgeting, which I can do and have done but nothing like what this would entail. I've done fine staying within a budget but I've never been responsible for making one, having it approved by a board of directors, staying within it even when "things come up" and then explaining if I over-spend.

I'll stop since I'm already at tl;dr stage and take your questions and advice if you feel so inclined.

Bwana
08-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Is this 2nd job a Gigolo gig?

http://img.movieberry.com/static/photos/14747/poster.jpg

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Is this 2nd job a Gigolo gig?

Would I have to think that over?

Bwana
08-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Would I have to think that over?

I would sure as hell hope not, but are you on the whisky!?

pimpchief
08-28-2012, 07:59 PM
What's the job?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 07:59 PM
I would sure as hell hope not, but are you on the whisky!?

There's not a lot of call for 43 year old giggalo's.... and wtf does that mean???

LMAO

Iowanian
08-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Everything isn't about money.

Relocate? Cost of living? Is this advance the top salary vs long term potential in your current field? Is it a job or a career. You're getting to the age where it's time to think about settling in(like me) and everything isn't as cut and dried.

Ex, I turned down an opportunity recently with a 25% raise because it wasn't the right situation for my family or career goals. I'd end up further ahead doing what I'm doing in the long run.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:01 PM
What's the job?

Marketing Director for an events center. It would include marketing for a collegiate league baseball team that's very active here, the community theatre and every event held at the center.

Iowanian
08-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Now, the answer you were expecting....

Hopefully it's not a position that involves photos of your cock n balls on the internet. online circus acts haven't proven successful yet.

Bwana
08-28-2012, 08:02 PM
There's not a lot of call for 43 year old giggalo's.... and wtf does that mean???

LMAO

Dr J, it means that if you have been hitting the "Old Crow" you may have had to think about it.

Dude seriously it depends if you are willing to work the extra hours for 10K. 10k isn't much green to give up your free time for.

pimpchief
08-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Marketing Director for an events center. It would include marketing for a collegiate league baseball team that's very active here, the community theatre and every event held at the center.

That sounds awesome and like ud be doing something fun. And good for the community around u.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Everything isn't about money.

Relocate? Cost of living? Is this advance the top salary vs long term potential in your current field? Is it a job or a career. You're getting to the age where it's time to think about settling in(like me) and everything isn't as cut and dried.

Ex, I turned down an opportunity recently with a 25% raise because it wasn't the right situation for my family or career goals. I'd end up further ahead doing what I'm doing in the long run.

No relocatation... the place is a block and a half from where I work now. Cost of living obviously would stay the same... that said... I don't make enough.

As far as settling in, I've been in radio for 22 years so I'm already pretty settled BUT like I said... I don't make enough. Small markets are that way. Another reason I plan/planned to leave in about 2 years. Hell I've only stayed here to this point because my kid is here.

It could be a new career.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Now, the answer you were expecting....

Hopefully it's not a position that involves photos of your cock n balls on the internet. online circus acts haven't proven successful yet.

Thank you for being you there.

And for the serious response before.

:)

Deberg_1990
08-28-2012, 08:08 PM
You have a "face" for radio. It should stay that way. : )

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:09 PM
That sounds awesome and like ud be doing something fun. And good for the community around u.

I do something fun now... and it's a lot more work than most people think. This would be the same. What sounds fun always includes a lot of behind the scenes work that isn't as fun but has to be done to reach the fun part. If that makes sense.

LiveSteam
08-28-2012, 08:09 PM
No relocatation... the place is a block and a half from where I work now. Cost of living obviously would stay the same... that said... I don't make enough.

As far as settling in, I've been in radio for 22 years so I'm already pretty settled BUT like I said... I don't make enough. Small markets are that way. Another reason I plan/planned to leave in about 2 years. Hell I've only stayed here to this point because my kid is here.

It could be a new career.

Hey TEX.What happened to being a cow-pusher

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Dr J, it means that if you have been hitting the "Old Crow" you may have had to think about it.

Dude seriously it depends if you are willing to work the extra hours for 10K. 10k isn't much green to give up your free time for.

I'm not drunk bro. Or even working on it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey TEX.What happened to being a cow-pusher

Opportunitys arise sometimes and this one did. I do love cows though.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:13 PM
You have a "face" for radio. It should stay that way. : )

Pretty sure I'd been seen by the public less in this job heh.

BigRedChief
08-28-2012, 08:14 PM

It could be a new career.There are no do overs in life. Go for the money and challenge.

Bwana
08-28-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm not drunk bro. Or even working on it.

On the first part of my post I was giving you shit, on the 2nd part I was serious. 10K isn't that much Jack, if you have to put most of your "free time" into the gig.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:20 PM
On the first part of my post I was giving you shit, on the 2nd part I was serious. 10K isn't that much Jack, if you have to put most of your "free time" into the gig.

That's a real valid point and I appreciate it. It's roughly 10k more... haven't done the exact math.

And ftr I haven't officially been offered the job. My "boss to be" called and said he thinks I'd be good at it and if I'm interested in persuing he'd push it with the board of directors.... they would have the final say after a couple interviews with them. "Boss to be" would obviously have important influence as a member of the board and current director of the center.

Saulbadguy
08-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Money.

ClevelandBronco
08-28-2012, 08:23 PM
...The postitives about the new job are that it pays nearly 10k a year more...

The negatives are that the hours will sometimes be insane as in including some very late nights some weekends...

Here's part of the problem: An extra $10 Gs for a full-time worker is only a $5 an hour bump, more or less, and that's true only if you're not working insane late-night hours and weekends. If you're working more than 2,080 hours, obviously you're getting less than a $5 raise per hour.

My question would be whether you can find something that you love to do, that you could do on your own, that would bring in an average of $200 a week, with better hours?

I think you could, but you're the one that's on the hook for figuring out what that might be.

Dr. Johnny Fever
Money.

If it were 30k a year more the choice would be easy. Hell even 20k more.

Buehler445
Man, that's a value decision.

Is 10K more going to be enough?

Is the growth opportunity there?

Are the hectic times frequent enough to fuck with your you time or your daughter time?

Those are all things you have to assess with imperfect information.

BRC's advise is sound, but by the same token, I've seen people dump good jobs for poor ones because they thought they needed a change of scenery. Change for the sake of change isn't always necessarily good.

But if the jack your making right now isn't good enough, I'd probably do it.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
tl;dr

ROFL

Sorry, Fever... I've been drinking.

What's the question again?

Buehler445
Oh and play more Cross Canadian Ragweed.

milkman
You can never go wrong with McDonald's.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Here's part of the problem: An extra $10 Gs for a full-time worker is only a $5 an hour bump, more or less, and that's true only if you're not working insane late-night hours and weekends. If you're working more than 2,080 hours, obviously you're getting less than a $5 raise per hour.

My question would be whether you can find something that you love to do, that you could do on your own, that would bring in an average of $200 a week, with better hours?

I think you could, but you're the one that's on the hook for figuring out what that might be.

Good insight. Thank you very much.

Buehler445
tl;dr

ROFL

I'm pretty sure we're streaking.

Through the quansit and into the quad.

Dr. Johnny Fever
tl;dr

ROFL

Why do you hate me

Aries Walker
If you don't take the new job, are you going to regret it in, say, five or ten years? The way you answer will tell you whether to take it or not.

cabletech94
08-28-2012, 08:27 PM
tl;dr

ROFL

there's a surprise! :D

cabletech94
08-28-2012, 08:28 PM

that!

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:28 PM

"I'll try to get that on for you."

*hangs up and ignores*

LMAO

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:30 PM
If you don't take the new job, are you going to regret it in, say, five or ten years? The way you answer will tell you whether to take it or not.

I don't THINK so. Like I said in the OP my plan WAS to leave here in about 2 years anyway. Will that mean greener pastures? Hopefully. In the meantime child support and having an over achieving and active kid costs a lot.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Why do you hate me

You like to bathe in tartar sauce and you tuck in your shoe laces... just so you don't look more ghey.

ROFL

Seriously. Been drinking. Don't ask me why you hate me.

Wait...

Why I hate me.

Wiat...

Why I hate tator tots.

GAH! Can't type. :deevee:

Seriously. What is this job? If you're not using your voice, you're wasting your talent. You have one hell of a voice. Especially for radio.

Am I rambling?

I'm rambling.

Done rambling.

HoneyBadger
08-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Mo money=Mo problems.

Request a de-motion.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 08:33 PM
there's a surprise! :D

Why don't you go suck an egg, Cabletech guy. :cuss:

o:-)

Merlot. What can you do? That shit is good after the first glass.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:38 PM
You like to bathe in tartar sauce and you tuck in your shoe laces... just so you don't look more ghey.
ROFL

Seriously. Been drinking. Don't ask me why you hate me.

Wait...

Why I hate me.

Wiat...

Why I hate tator tots.

GAH! Can't type. :deevee:

Seriously. What is this job? If you're not using your voice, you're wasting your talent. You have one hell of a voice. Especially for radio.

Am I rambling?

I'm rambling.

Done rambling.

This is why I love asking you the question.

1. You don't take it like I'm being serious

2. You give perfectly valid reasons

I could not ask for more.

btw... your drink is about empty.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
This is why I love asking you the question.

1. You don't take it like I'm being serious

2. You give perfectly valid reasons

I could not ask for more.

btw... your drink is about empty.

:eek: How did you know?!

BRB. o:-)

cabletech94
08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Why don't you go suck an egg, Cabletech guy. :cuss:

o:-)

Merlot. What can you do? That shit is good after the first glass.

did you make the merlot in the toilet?

/let's go to prison

lewdog
08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Who is starting the Gonzo is getting laid thread tonight?

Dr. Johnny Fever
:eek: How did you know?!

BRB. o:-)

Lumpydrunklins

BigRedChief
BRC's advise is sound, but by the same token, I've seen people dump good jobs for poor ones because they thought they needed a change of scenery. Change for the sake of change isn't always necessarily good.

But if the jack your making right now isn't good enough, I'd probably do it.I was assuming you wanted to start the new career. Not for the $10K raise.

My point was too many people sit on their ass and are afraid of falling on their face with a career boost or change.

Yes, it could blow up in your face. Yes, you could be making a mistake. No pain, No gain. No risk, No reward.

Act intelligently, yet bold.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:43 PM

She'll pass out.

Buehler445
08-28-2012, 08:44 PM
I was assuming you wanted to start the new career. Not for the $10K raise.

My point was too many people sit on their ass and are afraid of falling on their face with a career boost or change.

Yes, it could blow up in your face. Yes, you could be making a mistake. No pain, No gain. No risk, No reward.

I hear you. Just giving the counterpoint.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 08:45 PM
did you make the merlot in the toilet?

/let's go to prison

ROFL Wut?

/waits

Lumpydrunklins

New nickname?

Well... shit.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:45 PM
I was assuming you wanted to start the new career. Not for the $10K raise.

WANT to start a new career... no. Open to it... yes. As I said in the OP I think I would enjoy the new job. I already like the boss. The 10kish more is probably the biggest factor.

Gonzo
08-28-2012, 08:46 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9en10uqX41qit8aco3_500.gif

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:47 PM
New nickname?

Well... shit.

Just for the night. Until you're drunk again.

BigRedChief
08-28-2012, 08:48 PM
WANT to start a new career... no. Open to it... yes. As I said in the OP I think I would enjoy the new job. I already like the boss. The 10kish more is probably the biggest factor.Dude...... :shake: Better think this through more.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 08:48 PM
She'll pass out.

:cuss:

Yeah, you're probably right. LMAO

Get back on topic, douche. Just passing by. I would give you advice, but I'm teh suck when it comes to job advice. Hell, I can't even take my own. 12 years later... still in the same job. I missed my calling. Sucks. Oh well. /sigh

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 08:49 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9en10uqX41qit8aco3_500.gif

ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Dude...... :shake: Better think this through more.

10k is a lot in my book. When you factor in that it's an area I have experience in and have enjoyed and I already like my boss it's not that simple.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:51 PM
:cuss:

Yeah, you're probably right. LMAO

Get back on topic, douche. Just passing by. I would give you advice, but I'm teh suck when it comes to job advice. Hell, I can't even take my own. 12 years later... still in the same job. I missed my calling. Sucks. Oh well. /sigh

What was your calling?

lewdog
08-28-2012, 08:55 PM
10k is a lot in my book. When you factor in that it's an area I have experience in and have enjoyed and I already like my boss it's not that simple.

I think with a daughter who will be entering college soon and from the sounds of what you are currently making, 10k is nothing to sneeze at. I sure wouldn't! That being said, if you end up working way more hours to get that 10k than it probably isn't worth it either. But if you plan on moving away in a few years anyway, might as well get some more money and different experience.

You have a lot of pros/cons to weigh!

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 08:58 PM
I think with a daughter who will be entering college soon and from the sounds of what you are currently making, 10k is nothing to sneeze at. I sure wouldn't! That being said, if you end up working way more hours to get that 10k than it probably isn't worth it either. But if you plan on moving away in a few years anyway, might as well get some more money and different experience.

You have a lot of pros/cons to weigh!

Thanks lew. You basically brought me back to where I am with your last sentence.

LMAO

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 08:59 PM
What was your calling?

Not being a damn manager for a print shop. That's for damn sure. :(

Seriously... I've always wanted to do something creative. I lost my window and, like I said, oh well.

Ask yourself one question before you consider the new job...

Will you be happy? Will you have time with loved ones, (primarily your daughter)? No amount of money is worth your unhappiness or less time w/ your child.

That's my advice.

Now... I must pee. LMAO

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Not being a damn manager for a print shop. That's for damn sure. :(

Seriously... I've always wanted to do something creative. I lost my window and, like I said, oh well.

Ask yourself one question before you consider the new job...

Will you be happy? Will you have time with loved ones, (primarily your daughter). No amount of money is worth your unhappiness or less time w/ your child.

That's my advice.

Now... I must pee. LMAO

1. You're not even old... you HAVE NOT lost your window. Stop being stupid about that. You know I say that with love.

2. kiddo is busier than I am nowadays and I don't get to see her as much as I used to. She has 4 honors classes, pom practice, marching band practice, orchestra practice, 3 dance classes... one that she teaches, instrumental choir (for kids who play an instrument and sing), and she tried out for the musical today. I literally have to make an appointment to spend time with her. Today for instance she started with early pom at 7:15am to get ready for the first home football game, school, pom, band, dance. Her day ended at 9:30pm. Now she's doing homework.

I have more time than I used to.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Lumpy passed out on the toilet.

wutamess
08-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Uh... can you get paid hourly?
That way you won't be forced to be their work slave and that $10k raise might be more than $10k.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 09:21 PM
1. You're not even old... you HAVE NOT lost your window. Stop being stupid about that. You know I say that with love.

2. kiddo is busier than I am nowadays and I don't get to see her as much as I used to. She has 4 honors classes, pom practice, marching band practice, orchestra practice, 3 dance classes... one that she teaches, instrumental choir (for kids who play an instrument and sing), and she tried out for the musical today. I literally have to make an appointment to spend time with her. Today for instance she started with early pom at 7:15am to get ready for the first home football game, school, pom, band, dance. Her day ended at 9:30pm. Now she's doing homework.

I have more time than I used to.

1. This isn't about me.

2. Something to consider. Mkay.

3. I didn't pass out on the toilet. LMAO I was hungry for some tortilla chips.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Uh... can you get paid hourly?
That way you won't be forced to be their work slave and that $10k raise might be more than $10k.

No, not an option. Just like now.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 09:22 PM
1. This isn't about me.

2. Something to consider. Mkay.

3. I didn't pass out on the toilet. LMAO I was hungry for some tortilla chips.

Admit it, you woke yourself up snoring. And point 1 is about you. Stop accepting and do.

wutamess
08-28-2012, 09:23 PM
No, not an option. Just like now.

If it was me... Id' weigh the hours worked. Like it's been mentioned before. Things will ALWAYS be tight even with the $800 /month raise. Especially with a kiddo,

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 09:31 PM
If it was me... Id' weigh the hours worked. Like it's been mentioned before. Things will ALWAYS be tight even with the $800 /month raise. Especially with a kiddo,

Hours are impossible to figure in this case. If we have a trade show that ends on Saturday then a baseball card show that is on Sunday I would be there all night to oversee tear down of the first thing and set up of the next. Then I'd be there Sunday to help the baseball card people with their questions and solve their problems. If we have a concert Friday night that gets over at midnight and nothing the next day I'd be there through tear down Friday night/Sat morning until everything was cleared out. If we have nothing on a given weekend then I'm off that weekend but I better find something to book for the next.

I'd also have 8-10 hours a day Mon-Fri to organize things, market it, buy advertising and cut/distribute those ads.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Admit it, you woke yourself up snoring. And point 1 is about you. Stop accepting and do.

LMAO Nope. I'm wide awake.

Keep on the topic, douche. :p If the positives outweigh the negatives, I would suggest going for it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
LMAO Nope. I'm wide awake.

Keep on the topic, douche. :p If the positives outweigh the negatives, I would suggest going for it.

I've been on topic douche. You passing out on the toilet was the only distraction.

lewdog
08-28-2012, 09:37 PM
What is most important to you? Money or free time?

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
What is most important to you? Money or free time?

That right there gets right to the crux of my biggest question lew. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

lewdog
08-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Well how much does 10k change your life?

What do you do with your free time?

cdcox
08-28-2012, 09:40 PM
The new budget responsibilities will be good experience that provides you a chance to grow new skills and may open new opportunities. I recommend you jump all over that.

Developing and staying on a budget isn't that hard. If you have a lot of people who's work happiness depends on the budget you'll either have to learn to say no or keep enough in reserve that you can sometimes say yes.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I've been on topic douche. You passing out on the toilet was the only distraction.

For the last damn time... I did NOT fall asleep on the shitter! ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 09:52 PM
The new budget responsibilities will be good experience that provides you a chance to grow new skills and may open new opportunities. I recommend you jump all over that.

Developing and staying on a budget isn't that hard. If you have a lot of people who's work happiness depends on the budget you'll either have to learn to say no or keep enough in reserve that you can sometimes say yes.

More worthwhile advice. I knew CP would provide some insight.

I'm good at saying no now, that's not a problem. The difference is I know how much a part timer is allowed to work or what we can spend on billboards as oppossed to creating the whole budget for the year from the start. I admit that's a little intimidating.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 09:54 PM

You woke yourself up with a loud fart. I know it. Being bent over like that opens up the bowels and rectal passage. It doesn't make you a bad person. Just a disgusting drunk.

JD10367
08-28-2012, 09:57 PM
IMO I'd try the marketing director thing. That's something you can take with you. Radio is sort of a stagnant (if not outright dying) medium.

Example: I work in an IMAX theater. When we opened, we hired someone to work as our marketing director. She used to work for a university, I think. She left here and did marketing for the tourism board. Then she moved on and did marketing for the zoo. Then she moved on and did marketing for the convention center. Moral: everyone needs marketing.

lewdog
08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Leave it to a young guy like me, with no real world experience, to provide 0% insight into your current situation.

ROFL

Thank you and good night!

cdcox
08-28-2012, 10:01 PM
More worthwhile advice. I knew CP would provide some insight.

I'm good at saying no now, that's not a problem. The difference is I know how much a part timer is allowed to work or what we can spend on billboards as oppossed to creating the whole budget for the year from the start. I admit that's a little intimidating.

Start with the budget from last year. Do you anticipate any change in income? Look at each spending area. Was that spending effective to accomplish the objectives? Is there something more effective that could be done with the money available? Leave a contingency to handle the unexpected. You can always allocate it later after you have a better idea what delivers the most bang for the buck.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 10:01 PM
IMO I'd try the marketing director thing. That's something you can take with you. Radio is sort of a stagnant (if not outright dying) medium.

Example: I work in an IMAX theater. When we opened, we hired someone to work as our marketing director. She used to work for a university, I think. She left here and did marketing for the tourism board. Then she moved on and did marketing for the zoo. Then she moved on and did marketing for the convention center. Moral: everyone needs marketing.

Yet more good advice. FWIW my station is thriving in a down market (not meant to sound like bragging) but I also know that isn't necessarily the case where I might go next.

Until they hire me..... (ok couldn't help myself, sorry)

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Start with the budget from last year. Do you anticipate any change in income? Look at each spending area. Was that spending effective to accomplish the objectives? Is there something more effective that could be done with the money available? Leave a contingency to handle the unexpected. You can always allocate it later after you have a better idea what delivers the most bang for the buck.

Yeah, starting with the prior years budget and input from the director is where I thought I would have to start.

I'm guessing you're in upper management.

Chiefshrink
08-28-2012, 10:03 PM

This !

Living life as though you are alway's waiting for the other potential shoe to drop will always steal your potentiality and joy from life. 3 good signs that you can do this are that you are currently living and managing a personal budget for yourself and have managed a budget that was given to you in your current job and you didn't make an impulsive decision and asked for advice or counsel from others(granted it's CP) but there are some common sense intelligent people here that can help.

But only you can answer this for yourself.

Bottom line: I'm sure you are not surprised how many people CAN'T do this. BUT YOU CAN. Whether you realize it or not you are already doing this, you just don't see it in yourself as clearly as all of us. Just because you have never 'forcasted' a budget and never held accontable by so many people doesn't mean you are in over your head. Time to increase your confidence and make your job skills even more valuable to the free market (while it's still free:rolleyes:) and see yourself for who you really are in this new job and how far you can go.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
You woke yourself up with a loud fart. I know it. Being bent over like that opens up the bowels and rectal passage. It doesn't make you a bad person. Just a disgusting drunk.

Women don't fart... we "toot". LMAO And no, I'm getting caught up on other threads before I hop in the shower and hop on Gonzo. /TMI

There you go...

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Leave it to a young guy like me, with no real world experience, to provide 0% insight into your current situation.

ROFL

Thank you and good night!

Your questions were valid and appreciated lew. Thank you.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Women don't fart... we "toot". LMAO And no, I'm getting caught up on other threads before I hop in the shower and hop on Gonzo. /TMI

There you go...

Other threads fail.

Drunk sex is the best as long as both parties are intoxicated. Then they just don't know the difference. It was great even if he never even got in.

cdcox
08-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah, starting with the prior years budget and input from the director is where I thought I would have to start.

I'm guessing you're in upper management.

Middle management at a large university. I'm in the middle of managing my first year of budget. I inherited a situation where we were over committed by 15% halfway through the budget year. I finished the year on budget and in the new budget year I have reallocated about 40% of it to do things that I hope are more effective. Waiting to see how that pans out.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 10:09 PM
This !

Living life as though you are alway's waiting for the other potential shoe to drop will always steal your potentiality and joy from life. 3 good signs that you can do this are that you are currently living and managing a personal budget for yourself and have managed a budget that was given to you in your current job and you didn't make an impulsive decision and asked for advice or counsel from others(granted it's CP) but there are some common sense intelligent people here that can help.

But only you can answer this for yourself.

Bottom line: I'm sure you are not surprised how many people CAN'T do this. BUT YOU CAN. Whether you realize it or not you are already doing this, you just don't see it in yourself as clearly as all of us. Just because you have never 'forcasted' a budget and never held accontable by so many people doesn't mean you are in over your head. Time to increase your confidence and make your job skills even more valuable to the free market (while it's still free:rolleyes:) and see yourself for who you really are in this new job and how far you can go.

Wow... thanks. Just when you don't expect to find much here......

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Middle management at a large university. I'm in the middle of managing my first year of budget. I inherited a situation where we were over committed by 15% halfway through the budget year. I finished the year on budget and in the new budget year I have reallocated about 40% of it to do things that I hope are more effective. Waiting to see how that pans out.

Impressive... and good luck.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Other threads fail.

Drunk sex is the best as long as both parties are intoxicated. Then they just don't know the difference. It was great even if he never even got in.

Eh, disregard.... Gonzo just passed out playing the new Madden. ROFL

FML :facepalm:

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 10:15 PM

You didn't need more tonight anyway nymph. He'll wake up in the morning.

DaneMcCloud
08-28-2012, 10:22 PM
If you hate your job, I'd say it's worth the move and the challenge. If you enjoy your job, $10k, IMO, isn't enough to start all over again, especially in a different industry.

After taxes, you're looking at $7500 (tops), which is about $144 dollars a week. If it were me, I'd stick with the current job and jump into a new career/situation in two years.

Good luck.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 10:26 PM
If you hate your job, I'd say it's worth the move and the challenge. If you enjoy your job, $10k, IMO, isn't enough to start all over again, especially in a different industry.

After taxes, you're looking at $7500 (tops), which is about $144 dollars a week. If it were me, I'd stick with the current job and jump into a new career/situation in two years.

Good luck.

I took everyone I had on ignore off just in time to get a serious response from Dane. Thanks, I appreciate it.

As I said in the OP I love my current job. I think I'd like this too and it pays more. Hence my conundrum.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks to all for your advice. There was some good, thought-provoking stuff. I have the week to think about it and I will. Many good points made here. CP often comes through when people really ask for serious advice and that's cool to know.

Off to bed.

Thanks again.

Lumpy
08-28-2012, 10:47 PM
You didn't need more tonight anyway nymph. He'll wake up in the morning.

ROFL That's a good one, Fever.

Seriously, (regarding your work situation), look at the big picture. Ask yourself if you will be happy? Is it worth it? Etc... etc. Whatever you choose to do, regret nothing! I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Whether you take this other job or keep going w/ what you're doing... there's a reason.

Have a good night! :)

RunKC
08-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Dude if you don't take that job I'll be disappointed. Us marketing guys have it tough here in KC (though I just started my career). Marketing is a great field once you get into it.

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-28-2012, 11:50 PM
She'll pass out.

Hootie likes this post

bevischief
08-29-2012, 07:13 AM

ROFL

bevischief
08-29-2012, 07:16 AM

ROFL

bevischief
08-29-2012, 07:23 AM
You are looking to leave maybe in 2 years this is way to expand that option. Sounds like it would be fun. Also get to see all the events for free. Go interview but don't tell your boss as a fall back. You haven't said yes or no yet to the new job. Go interview. What about the benefits are they any better?

JD10367
08-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Yet more good advice. FWIW my station is thriving in a down market (not meant to sound like bragging) but I also know that isn't necessarily the case where I might go next.

Until they hire me..... (ok couldn't help myself, sorry)

Yes, but there are many external factors. We've had some very popular and long-time stations in the Boston area shut down (rock station WBCN and alt-rock station WFNX). Parent company decisions, the effect of the Internet (streaming radio/Pandora), the use of MP3 players... there are plenty of reasons a radio station can sink. At least as a Marketing Director, if you (or the place you're marketing) fail, you can go do the same thing at another venue in a totally different place (convention center to TV station to shopping mall to university to public attraction, etc.,.).

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-29-2012, 08:31 AM
I woke up with new clarity. I'm not going to pursue it. While I do think I'd like it and the money would be better the fact is that in 2 years or so I just don't want to live here anymore. It's a nice place where I live but it was to be a stepping stone when I moved here 19 years ago. Then I got married... had a kid... got divorced after 11 years... and have stayed here to be a dad until she's off to college. The plan was always that once I was free to leave town it was my time to go where I want. I don't want to do something for just 2 years then leave or be "stuck" here longer.

I've also helped build something I'm pretty proud of where I work now. Giving it up when I wasn't even looking seems like a bad idea. Once it's completely on my terms with what I planned that will be different.

I found a side gig to make some extra money and I may look for more of that in the meantime.

This thread was more helpful than I expected so thank you all. I know staying where I am now is the right thing for me because I'm completely comfortable with it and making the desicion has brought peace to the whole matter.

Thanks again.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Yes, but there are many external factors. We've had some very popular and long-time stations in the Boston area shut down (rock station WBCN and alt-rock station WFNX). Parent company decisions, the effect of the Internet (streaming radio/Pandora), the use of MP3 players... there are plenty of reasons a radio station can sink. At least as a Marketing Director, if you (or the place you're marketing) fail, you can go do the same thing at another venue in a totally different place (convention center to TV station to shopping mall to university to public attraction, etc.,.).

All good points. My company is small (16 stations) and locally owned. While you're of course right that things can happen for the worse at any time, we don't have quite all the "big corporate desicions" to deal with that the big boys often have.

Lightrise
08-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Not that I'm going to take it seriously from a bunch of people I mostly don't know but I'm at a crossroads and all input is something to gnaw on. Plus I know that CP is littered with the brightest, most insightful, intelligent and attractive people anywhere on the internet. (Blatent suck up)

I have a new job opportunity that came out of nowhere. I think I would like it quite a bit. I love what I do now but I'm also planning to move away in roughly 2 years once my daughter goes to college... maybe for another job in the same arena... maybe not.

The postitives about the new job are that it pays nearly 10k a year more and it's in an area I have experience in and have enjoyed... and do quite of bit of already in my current job. It's also working for a guy who would be my boss who I like, respect and have worked for before.

The negatives are that the hours will sometimes be insane as in including some very late nights some weekends. I'd also have to do quite a bit of budgeting, which I can do and have done but nothing like what this would entail. I've done fine staying within a budget but I've never been responsible for making one, having it approved by a board of directors, staying within it even when "things come up" and then explaining if I over-spend.

I'll stop since I'm already at tl;dr stage and take your questions and advice if you feel so inclined.

I've heard enough here to tell you to pass. Your daughter heading to college soon means you are headed for some tough new emotional realities. I ALWAYS counted my blessings for the quickly vanishing 9 to 5 Monday through Friday job. Given your daughter's age I will just offer this without passing judgment on you. At some point, usually it sneaks up on you and happens without realizing, you feel yourself outside the competitive bubble. You feel a sense of losing control, like you are hanging onto a helium balloon and while your vision of what is going on below you is sharp as a whip, your influence dulls because it becomes difficult to make people understand all the components to a logic you know is complex. In your frustration you hold onto the ballon with two hands now as it gets caught up in the wind. By now your vision is as sharp as an Eagle and your desire for escape becomes unchallenged. As you try to hold on and adapt, justifying your existence every minute of the day suddenly your phone will ring and it will be your daughter. This is when you see her holding the balloon, only she is smiling.

Stay put, or at least know your soul.

lcarus
08-29-2012, 09:47 AM
I say go for the new gig. No reason other than it sounds like a good job and it sounds like you're ready for a change.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-29-2012, 09:59 AM
See post #102 heh

vailpass
08-29-2012, 11:08 AM
$10k is not enough compensation for the extreme hours and increased budgeting workload or neither would be a question for you.

Counter the original salary offer with a figure that would make the added work and hours a good thing.

*sorry if Q, did not read thread*

RunKC
06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm gonna bump this instead of making a new thread.

I applied for a job and had a solid referral. Had my first interview on Tuesday at 10 AM and it went really well. They said they would let me know within a week if I got the job.

Well 6 hours go by and I get a call for a 2nd interview, and they said my first interview went really well.

Yesterday I had a 2nd interview (via phone this time) from someone from the corporate office, which is not in town.
They told me "great answer" on multiple questions I answered. They told me it will be a week or so when I'd find out.

I think I have a strong chance. I figured if they didn't want me I would have gotten a rejection email today.

Fingers crossed.

mlyonsd
06-13-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm gonna bump this instead of making a brand new one.

I applied for a job and had a solid referral. Had my first interview on Tuesday at 10 AM and it went really well. They said they would let me know within a week if I got the job.

Well 6 hours go by and I get a call for a 2nd interview, and they said my first interview went really well.

Yesterday I had a 2nd interview (via phone this time) from someone from the corporate office, which is not in town.
They told me "great answer" on multiple questions I answered. They told me it will be a week or so when I'd find out.

I think I have a strong chance. I figured if they didn't want me I would have gotten a rejection email today.

Fingers crossed.
If you have their address, at least email them a thank you for the 2nd interview.

RunKC
06-13-2013, 07:35 PM
If you have their address, at least email them a thank you for the 2nd interview.

Forgot to mention I did this. I got the email of the lady from the corporate office who interviewed me by phone and sent her a thank you email today.
Hopefully that helps.
:grovel:

mlyonsd
06-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Forgot to mention I did this. I got the email of the lady from the corporate office who interviewed me by phone and sent her a thank you email today.
Hopefully that helps.
:grovel:Hope it works out. Attention to detail is what I looked at when hiring.

Jewish Rabbi
06-13-2013, 07:53 PM
I haven't even noticed that male Luv hasn't posted in 3 months. Is that bad?

Bugeater
06-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Hopefully that helps.
:grovel:
You must be a hell of a lot less annoying in person than you are on this board. Otherwise I feel sorry for whatever company hires you.

Valiant
06-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Become an expert at excel. 60k+ should be easy. Well and interviewing well.

RunKC
06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
You must be a hell of a lot less annoying in person than you are on this board. Otherwise I feel sorry for whatever company hires you.

Fortunately for me I work my ass off at work and never cause problems..

RunKC
06-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Got offered the job today. Really happy about a good job that pays 10k more and is in a better environment. :thumb:

Ace Gunner
06-14-2013, 05:16 PM
good news