PDA

View Full Version : Poop Sports Radio Commercials

MahiMike
08-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Holy crap! I have today off so I'm at home trying to catch up on my Chiefs by listening to the internet radio. I've got both 610 and 810 up at the same time. There has to be a commercial every 5 friggin' minutes. I didn't think it could happen but another media outlet is actually worse than ESPN! It's totally un-listenable (new word there).

No wonder I tape everything on TV and watch using my DVR...

Pasta Little Brioni
08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
"What do you think the average size is?"

"That depends soft....or crunchy?"

"I'm going to guess 6 inches"

"Mines 10"

"*wrapping noises*"

"Whoa put that thing away it could put an eye out"

Reerun_KC
08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Yeah the internet/mobile streams play the same 5 commercials over and over again.

Not the same on "over the air" broadcasts...

I just have to mute commercials, I am sick of cyber bullying, some foreclosure bullshit and whatever else they are playing.. God it sucks.

htismaqe
08-29-2012, 09:08 AM
The internet feed of 810 has nearly double the commercials of the OTA broadcast.

And they're of the horrible canned variety of "did your or your loved one die after taking X medication" and mortgage commercials.

notorious
Sirius ESPN radio has nothing but gambling and male enhancement commericials.

When I work in a customer's house I have to be careful what I listen to.

milkman
My commute to work is roughly 15 minutes.

I can drive nearly the full 15 minutes programming free.

Commercials for the win!

MahiMike
08-29-2012, 09:11 AM
The 610 app opens up in a separate window and you can't even mute the commercials. Actually pretty smart idea by the marketers. Either have to close the app or just mute your whole computer.

I didn't realize the internet streams were worse than the local radio. Here in Jax, the local radio is no better than the internet.

Reerun_KC
08-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Sirius ESPN radio has nothing but gambling and male enhancement commericials.

When I work in a customer's house I have to be careful what I listen to.

Sirius has more commercials than any broadcast in the country...

I have had to go away from sirius for sports talk... They talk about 30-35 minutes an hour and the rest is commercials.

top of the hour you can kiss 10-15 min of your time with commercials.

htismaqe
08-29-2012, 09:13 AM
The 610 app opens up in a separate window and you can't even mute the commercials. Actually pretty smart idea by the marketers. Either have to close the app or just mute your whole computer.

I didn't realize the internet streams were worse than the local radio. Here in Jax, the local radio is no better than the internet.

Open the app in 1 browser (IE, Firefox, etc.) and surf in Chrome. Windows 7 and most linux distros allow you to mute by app.

notorious
08-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Sirius has more commercials than any broadcast in the country...

I have had to go away from sirius for sports talk... They talk about 30-35 minutes an hour and the rest is commercials.

top of the hour you can kiss 10-15 min of your time with commercials.

Absolutely.

I have the equivalent of a DVR satellite radio, but it is still frustrating.

blaise
08-29-2012, 09:30 AM
I stream one station out of Jacksonville that plays music during the breaks. Usually classic rock stuff. I never appreciated a Who song so much until I started hearing it in place of commercials.

Reerun_KC
08-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Enough of the fashion on commercials....

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-29-2012, 09:37 AM
There are sometimes certain parts of the local broadcast that stations don't have permission to stream so they have to cover that time with something... most often it's commericials, especially for a talk station. They could use filler music but by selling more ad time you make money obviously.

Most stations also cover their broadcast commercials with different one's completely as well. Again it's due in part to some national stuff not giving permission or not wanting to pay for the additional audience streaming brings them. So rather than increasing the advertisers bill... which they don't want... and rather than comping those advertisers free commercial time... the station sells "streaming only" ads at a lower rate. If they don't have a ton of "streaming only" advertisers then you'll hear the same stuff a lot. That does suck for the listener.

Streaming using Liquid Compass for our stations in our sized market costs $400 per month per station. Obviously no station wants an uncovered expendature so they sell ads to recoup the cost and then try to make money on top of it as well.

Nature of the beast although I agree it can be hard to listen to.

blaise
08-29-2012, 09:39 AM
The PSAs are some of the most annoying spots. There's one that asks people to call and leave an encouraging message for high school kids who are thinking of dropping out. Then they play one of the calls, which is obviously scripted. It's terrible.

Los Pollos Hermanos
08-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Am I crazy or does the guy at 2 on 610 sound like Ron Jaworski?

TLO
08-29-2012, 10:57 AM
The Low T center!

Dayze
08-29-2012, 11:02 AM
seriously, If I have to order catering for the office one more time, I'm going to switch departments.

Seriously?

Seriously easy....

GRANDMA"S catering DOT com.

htismaqe
08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
The Low T center!

At least they're local.

The internet stream constantly has mortgage, law firm, and PSA ads that are added by the streaming provider, not by WHB.

And they often insert them DURING THE SHOWS, right over the top of the radio broadcast.

Nothing better than hearing Soren Petro say, "we just got news out of St. Joe that Brandon Flowers is...ARE YOU SO DEEPLY IN DEBT THAT YOU FEEL LIKE YOU NEED A WAY OUT?"

TLO
08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Great mortgage rates call 800 granny 8!

TLO
08-29-2012, 11:05 AM
At least they're local.

The internet stream constantly has mortgage, law firm, and PSA ads that are added by the streaming provider, not by WHB.

And they often insert them DURING THE SHOWS, right over the top of the radio broadcast.

Nothing better than hearing Soren Petro say, "we just got news out of St. Joe that Brandon Flowers is...ARE YOU SO DEEPLY IN DEBT THAT YOU FEEL LIKE YOU NEED A WAY OUT?"

ROFL

Yeah I am trying out the internet stream right now. These are awfully bad.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
At least they're local.

LOL.... I'd imagine that's a technical problem.

Dayze
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
love when Soren spends 5 minutes talking about Applause custom sound and how much he loves their work.

blaise
08-29-2012, 11:15 AM
610 used to run ads advertising Chris and Cowboy on the stream for months after they were gone.

htismaqe
08-29-2012, 11:16 AM
love when Soren spends 5 minutes talking about Applause custom sound and how much he loves their work.

You'd love their work too if you had a setup like his.

http://www.peterkrogh.com/Pages/noc/Art/RavensControlRoom_Krogh.jpg

Fish
08-29-2012, 11:17 AM
That Bud Light party cruise commercial has only been played 4,238,338 times this week...

"There's only one thing that beats down harder than this..... the Sun..."

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/myknsj/th_d34fc96f.gif

htismaqe
610 used to run ads advertising Chris and Cowboy on the stream for months after they were gone.

ROFL

TLO
That Bud Light party cruise commercial has only been played 4,238,338 times this week...

ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
08-29-2012, 02:41 PM

That HAS to be a top 5 gathering of the biggest douchebags on Earth

htismaqe
08-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Gleaming US gold coins...