PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli is uncomfortable taking a QB in the first round

RunKC
08-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Jay Binkley just interviewed Sam Mellinger on 610 and he asked Sam what his most concerning thing is with the franchise and this was his answer.

"From the brief interviews with Scott, to the multiple Chiefs officials we've (him and Babb) talked to, one thing is abundantly clear: Scott Pioli is uncomfortable drafting a first round QB. It's not his style. It's not the Patriots way of doing things."

**** Pioli and **** his Patriot way. This is going to be the end of that asshole I swear.

L.A. Chieffan
08-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Don't need to.

Urc Burry
08-30-2012, 04:45 PM
LMAO "You know what I think of taking safety's that high"

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2012, 04:45 PM
It's understandable when you have greatness such as Matt Cassel.

BoneKrusher
08-30-2012, 04:48 PM
It's understandable when you have greatness such as Matt Cassel.

:clap:
tell me about it.

the Patriot Ways sucks unless you get Lucky(and draft Brady) or have Bill as your HC.

Munson
08-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Why waste a 1st round pick on a franchise QB when you can get a franchise 3-4 DE instead?

/Pioli

Titty Meat
08-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Pioli should be fired if the team doesn't make the playoffs this year.

ChiefsCountry
08-30-2012, 04:50 PM

He should have been fired on February 28, 2009 for trading for Matt Cassel.

Tribal Warfare
08-30-2012, 04:51 PM
He maybe uncomfortable with it, but he might have to select one in the 1st to save his job.

BoneKrusher
08-30-2012, 04:53 PM

w/o a doubt.
thats the day i got so pissed, hell i'm still pissed.

RunKC
08-30-2012, 04:54 PM

I doubt it will happen. He took a bunch of developmental players in the draft this year. That to me says he'll be here awhile longer.

CoMoChief
08-30-2012, 04:56 PM
If there's a QB worth snagging in the first rd, you take him if you have a need at that position. To most KC fans, we do have that need.

Pioli just thinks Cassel is THE MAN for the job unfortunately.

But many people on this board would rather have Tony the Tiger play QB than Cassel, so they're willing to waste a 1st rd pick on a QB regardless of the situation, and most feel this way because Cassel lacks some abilities in his game and just because this franchise hasn't drafted a 1st rd QB in quite some time.

BUT...you don't HAVE to draft a QB in the first rd....YES it's ideal to do so, as many other teams have done the same. But this is the most balanced Chiefs team since the early-mid 90's. If our offense was good, our defense sucked, if the defense was good, the offense sucked.....or we sucked completely all over. This team CAN win w/ Cassel. I'm going for the wait and see approach here, because I truly believe that not having crazy mad man Haley on the sidelines is going to help everyone.

OnTheWarpath15
08-30-2012, 04:56 PM
No shit?

We really needed a quote from Sam Mellinger to confirm this?

BoneKrusher
08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
I doubt it will happen. He took a bunch of developmental players in the draft this year. That to me says he'll be here awhile longer.

that will depend on how this team does this year IMO and based on (the last two preseason games) i know it's just preseason games)
this team has a history of not waking up when the games count.

Setsuna

Why? He's not coaching them. That makes no sense. If it was a QB, then sure he'd have to stay. Outside of that, him being fired will have no bearing on anyone else's development.

vailpass

And McDaniels wanted Cassell, would have traded Cutler to KC for him.
JFC however big a fail you think that was for Pioli it is 1/100 the fail that was McDaniels.

lcarus
w/o a doubt.
thats the day i got so pissed, hell i'm still pissed.

I was stupid enough to have hope at that point because I didnt know what Cassel was like really. It didnt take long for me to figure it out though

Setsuna
08-30-2012, 04:58 PM
If there's a QB worth snagging in the first rd, you take him if you have a need at that position. To most KC fans, we do have that need.

But many people on this board would rather have Tony the Tiger play QB than Cassel, so they're willing to waste a 1st rd pick on a QB regardless of the situation, and most feel this way because Cassel lacks some abilities in his game and just because this franchise hasn't drafted a 1st rd QB in quite some time.

BUT...you don't HAVE to draft a QB in the first rd....YES it's ideal to do so, as many other teams have done the same. But this is the most balanced Chiefs team since the early-mid 90's. If our offense was good, our defense sucked, if the defense was good, the offense sucked.....or we sucked completely all over. This team CAN win w/ Cassel. I'm going for the wait and see approach here, because I truly believe that not having crazy mad man Haley on the sidelines is going to help everyone.
If it looks like a duck...

The Franchise
He should have been fired on February 28, 2009 for trading for Matt Cassel and then signing him to a huge extension after proving nothing.

FYP

xztop12
Unfortunately there is no getting rid of Pioli at this point. we're in too deep in our 3-4 2 gap system, the team would be in shambles if Pioli left and Crennel/ his assistants went..

CoMoChief
08-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Honest question what other option would you have done? Our starters were Brodie Croyle and Tyler Thigpen.

Draft Mark Sanchez? LMAO

C'mon man.......I want a better QB as well. I will say however it was criminally stupid to award Cassel that huge contract when he's done nothing to earn it. At the time it was the right move. So far it hasn't panned out for a multiple of reasons. Lack of surrounding talent, mad man HC, 5th OC in 4 years, injuries etc. Call them excuses all you want, but they're legitimate.

This season if there isn't improvement w/ Cassel, then after this season is the time to let him walk.

OnTheWarpath15
08-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately there is no getting rid of Pioli at this point. we're in too deep in our 3-4 2 gap system, the team would be in shambles if Pioli left and Crennel/ his assistants went..

LMAO

Shambles.

This team has won 21 games in 3 years.

RunKC
08-30-2012, 05:03 PM

Don't believe this at all. This defense has key players that are built for the 4-3.

Tamba is the perfect example. He is an elite pass rusher and a good run defender, but he is worthless in coverage. Play him at the Falcon.
Dorsey would actually be worth a shit if he was a DT in the 4-3. He struggles because he's so far outside and playing against G's and OT's. He would be way more effective lining up in the right gap.
Tyson Jackson is a very good run stopper too. Put him in at DT next to Dorsey.
DJ is fucking awesome and would play well in any scheme at this point.
Houston could play the same position Von Miller plays. It might actually make him better.

mcaj22
08-30-2012, 05:04 PM
why waste 2nd round picks on a rookie QB either when you can use them to trade for other team's backup veterans or drafting midget gadget players

/Pioli

CoMoChief
08-30-2012, 05:13 PM
cut eachus now.

notorious
08-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Fuck.

Bewbies
08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey Pioli-
Joe Buck Yourself!!

the Talking Can
08-30-2012, 06:09 PM

ha ha.....

aids

Brock
08-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Philadelphia and Green Bay can take these second and third day projects and make at least spot starters out of them. The Chiefs obviously can't. So I guess we'll just keep doing things the same old retarded way.

BigMeatballDave
08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Die Scott Pioli.

Die.

A horrible, painful death.

Nightfyre
08-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Pioli better get comfortable with it. You need a top-shelf QB to compete anymore. This isn't the 80s/90s.

-King-
08-30-2012, 06:27 PM
God dammit Pioli. I like you but if this shit is true, I'm going to be pissed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Papi
08-30-2012, 06:28 PM
This team CAN win w/ Cassel.

I CAN sleep with Heidi Klum. But like this team going anywhere with Casshole, it isn't going to happen.

stonedstooge
08-30-2012, 06:29 PM
How can it be uncomfortable if you've never done it?

08-30-2012, 07:02 PM

Not only that but trading for a QB before hiring a head coach. Dumbassery at is finest.

SDChiefs
08-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Pioli is uncomfortable taking a shit unless he can put it at the qb position.

whoman69
08-30-2012, 07:42 PM

The defense will struggle because the offense looks to be on par with the 13 points a game we averaged last year. I don't think our defense is anywhere near as good as those defenses in the 90s.

Direckshun
08-30-2012, 07:55 PM
With the exception of 2009, who can blame him?

BossChief
08-30-2012, 08:06 PM
LMAO

Shambles.

This team has won 21 games in 3 years.

Lets be objective.

The team won 6 games in the 2 years before Pioli took over.

In that first year, we won 4 and that year should be credited to transition from such a horrid team.

If you give a pass for 2009, we have 17 wins the last two years.

Going from 6 to 17 is quite a bit better.

Wouldnt you say that is fair?...or are you gonna foolishly say that the 2009 team lost 12 games BECAUSE OF PIOLI?

DeezNutz
08-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Lets be objective.

The team won 6 games in the 2 years before Pioli took over.

In that first year, we won 4 and that year should be credited to transition from such a horrid team.

If you give a pass for 2009, we have 17 wins the last two years.

Going from 6 to 17 is quite a bit better.

Wouldnt you say that is fair?...or are you gonna foolishly say that the 2009 team lost 12 games BECAUSE OF PIOLI?

His disastrous off-season and coaching hire certainly contributed to it.

jd1020
08-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Pioli better get comfortable real quick, or else he is going to get run out of town like Orton in Denver.

NWTF
08-30-2012, 08:58 PM
The reality is.
Pioli isnt comfortable moving on from Cassel at this point. And hes not going to do anything that could inadvertently make that happen. He really.... I mean REALLY wants to be right on that trade. He let all the genius, GM of the century talk Peter King and the other east coast media lapdogs were showering him with go to his head.

You mean this top GM picked the wrong HC and wrong QB? Naw only the wrong coach, the QB just needs the right enviornment like maybe ex Patriots for HC and OC.

NJChiefsFan
08-30-2012, 08:59 PM
LMAO "You know what I think of taking safety's that high"

Yeah he did show he would go against his natural feeling with Berry. He is going to have to take one whether he likes it or not. Unless he cares about his philosophy more than his job.

aturnis
08-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Won't read too much into this. It's not clear if that is his general feeling or a fear of the last 3-4 years. Outside of the top guys, there haven't been too many 1st round QB's worth a shit. A lot of them were 2-3 round QB's taken way too early. I probably wouldn't haven taken many of the guys available at our pick in the 1st then last few years either.

Bugeater
08-30-2012, 09:57 PM
FYP
Agreed, the trade was one thing. He took a shot. Whatever. But I'll never be able to wrap my mind around him giving Cassel the contract he did right off the bat. Meanwhile, Clark is too busy counting his money to hold him accountable for it.

Dave Lane
08-30-2012, 09:57 PM
And McDaniels wanted Cassell, would have traded Cutler to KC for him.
JFC however big a fail you think that was for Pioli it is 1/100 the fail that was McDaniels.

What would have been cool is to get Cutler and a 1st for him :)

KCDC
08-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Agreed, the trade was one thing. He took a shot. Whatever. But I'll never be able to wrap my mind around him giving Cassel the contract he did right off the bat. Meanwhile, Clark is too busy counting his money to hold him accountable for it.

Don't forget that the Patriots franchised Cassel; so, we had to pay him nearly $10M for a season anyway when we got him. Pioli had to pay big money to try and get the number lowered over a longer period.

Bugeater
08-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Don't forget that the Patriots franchised Cassel; so, we had to pay him nearly $10M for a season anyway when we got him. Pioli had to pay big money to try and get the number lowered over a longer period.
ROFL OMG, we may have gone over the salary cap by just paying him the $10 for a season. Making a long term commitment to the guy was a MUCH smarter move.

Otter
08-30-2012, 10:31 PM
My worries if the Chiefs even manage to take a QB in the first round: do they have the tools to groom and develop him? Seriously, this timeline of failure over and over is indicative of a deeper issue.

Besides Trent Green, under Vermeil who has even come close to being good? Draft pick or whatever, they ALL sucked for almost 40 years outside of Trent.

Deeper issue.

aturnis
08-30-2012, 11:14 PM
My worries if the Chiefs even manage to take a QB in the first round: do they have the tools to groom and develop him? Seriously, this timeline of failure over and over is indicative of a deeper issue.

Besides Trent Green, under Vermeil who has even come close to being good? Draft pick or whatever, they ALL sucked for almost 40 years outside of Trent.

Deeper issue.

This is my take also.

Green Bay and Philadelphia do it over and again, but we can't get one right.

I seriously think those tests put their backups in better position to succeed though, b/c they always do, then go elsewhere and fail.

Matt Flynn and Kolb are both failures thus far with other teams, and everyone joked about hoe Graham Harrell was backing up Rodgers and what do you know? Not to mention Foles in Philadelphia.

Better they flash for a few years, then flame out at their next stop...

In58men
08-30-2012, 11:18 PM
He's uncomfortable? Doesn't sound right. I'm not a Pioli fan, but I think he'll be more than willing to draft a QB in the 1st. If we had first pick you think he'd honestly pass up Barkley?

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2012, 11:32 PM
And it only took four drafts and offseasons to realize

L.A. Chieffan
08-31-2012, 12:03 AM
You know what? I thought Quinn played pretty good tonight, and he was drafted in the first round so what are you bitches complaining about?

NJChiefsFan
08-31-2012, 12:12 AM
You know what? I thought Quinn played pretty good tonight, and he was drafted in the first round so what are you bitches complaining about?

Thats my first complaint. Quinn looked good until he made a serious no-no on the 3 yard line. Those kind of mistakes erase a lot, like it or not.

L.A. Chieffan
08-31-2012, 12:15 AM
Thats my first complaint. Quinn looked good until he made a serious no-no on the 3 yard line. Those kind of mistakes erase a lot, like it or not.

No doubt, Cassell would've converted I know but Quinn put the team in position.

PhillyChiefFan
08-31-2012, 03:20 AM

Deeper issue.

That's my thought.

Every playoff team has a 1st RDer starting with the exception of Brady (6th RD), Schaub (3rd RD), Romo (undrafted), and Brees (who went 1st in the 2nd RD in one of the best draft classes in history).

The only other teams that have non-1st rders as starters are the Chiefs (Cassel 7th), Seattle (Wilson 3rd/Flynn 7th), and the Cards (Skelton 5th/Kolb 2nd).

As a GM shouldn't that be a GLARING problem?? Brady was a diamond in the rough pick. So if Pioli is basing his decisions off the Brady pick because it's "the Patriot's Way" he can GTFO.

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2012, 07:02 AM

Of course if we had the starters in, it would have been different near the goal line. You pound the rock with Hillis.

htismaqe
08-31-2012, 07:05 AM

Erase a lot is kind of understatement. :D

Those kind of mistakes erase EVERYTHING. You can't get into the red zone and come away with nothing.

BoneKrusher
08-31-2012, 07:05 AM
He's uncomfortable drafting a QB in round one yet he's drafted Jackson and Poe in round one?

shame on you Phat Scott.

Marcellus
08-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Let me get this straight, Pioli will draft a safety at #5 but not a QB? He is willing to trade a very high 2nd rounder for a QB but not draft a QB in the 1st round?

I am not a Pioli fan but I call bullshit, bullshit, bullshit on this. If the right guys is there you take him.

Feel free to melt down like retards though.

the Talking Can
08-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Let me get this straight, Pioli will draft a safety at #5 but not a QB? He is willing to trade a very high 2nd rounder for a QB but not draft a QB in the 1st round?

I am not a Pioli fan but I call bullshit, bullshit, bullshit on this. If the right guys is there you take him.

you add so much to the discussion...what would this board be without you?

BigMeatballDave
08-31-2012, 07:27 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fG3dfwEkGos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 07:31 AM
This is horseshit. There was a really good interview by Looney a while back where he ask Pioli about quarterbacks. He talked about Ted Thompson and how much he liked his strategy. The strategy is to try and draft a QB every year or at least every other year. Eventually, Ted Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round. It's about finding guys that make sense without reaching.

Marcellus
08-31-2012, 07:36 AM
you add so much to the discussion...what would this board be without you?

Pot meet kettle.

Hell that's not even accurate, I gave an explanation as to why the premise of the OP doesn't make sense. You have yet to ever post a logical explanation of anything.

the Talking Can
08-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Pot meet kettle.

I'm just saying, as you repeatedly point out...you are awesome...this place needs you

Marcellus
08-31-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm just saying, as you repeatedly point out...you are awesome...this place needs you

Please find a post where I have ever claimed to be awesome. I imagine that I must exude awesomeness so it goes without saying.

Don't know what your butt hurt is or where it comes from but feel free to continue it.

Micjones
08-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Until I read a quote from Pioli that suggests he won't draft a QB in Round 1, I'm not going to set anything on fire.

Do we HAVE to have an R1 QB to win? Not necessarily, but...
Clearly QB's drafted in the 1st Round have had the most success in the NFL.

At any rate, he shouldn't be opposed to doing anything that might help this club become a serious contender year in and year out.

GloryDayz
08-31-2012, 08:01 AM
I still think the Hunt family is paying for years of trying to corner the silver market and the US government had to take action. I think it's an infraction that will haunt them for years and years and years to come... While we suffer the bane of the silver market deal on one side of the parking lot, we also suffer the bane of Wal-Mart running an MLB team on the other side. KC is just cursed!

I know this was about Pioli, but ya gotta blame those who empower such stupidity too! And the Hunts are ALL about $, not winning!! And GlASS is just that, and ASS.. nomoreglass.com

ILChief
08-31-2012, 08:31 AM
If Barkley or Wilson is there, Pioli would take them. The question is will he give up a lot to move up to get them

durtyrute
08-31-2012, 08:35 AM
WE HAVE A FIRST ROUND PICK ON THE ROSTER AND YOU GUYS HATE HIM. Drafting a first round qB isn't going to guarantee shit.

Marcellus
08-31-2012, 08:35 AM
If Barkley or Wilson is there, Pioli would take them. The question is will he give up a lot to move up to get them

Yes, had the OP stated Pioli is weary of trading picks to move up and draft a QB I would believe it.

chiefzilla1501
08-31-2012, 08:53 AM
This is horseshit. There was a really good interview by Looney a while back where he ask Pioli about quarterbacks. He talked about Ted Thompson and how much he liked his strategy. The strategy is to try and draft a QB every year or at least every other year. Eventually, Ted Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round. It's about finding guys that make sense without reaching.

And how many chances have we taken?

One. Matt Cassel.

Taking a QB in the 5th in Stanzi isn't a chance, that's a layup. And they brought Brady Quinn in to be a backup.

So you're refuting yourself here.

Not to mention Pioli once said he likes to constantly bring in non-first round QBs and churn and churn and churn. He hasn't done that. Why?

Marcellus
08-31-2012, 08:54 AM
And how many chances have we taken?

One. Matt Cassel.

Taking a QB in the 5th in Stanzi isn't a chance, that's a layup. And they brought Brady Quinn in to be a backup.

So you're refuting yourself here.

Not to mention Pioli once said he likes to constantly bring in non-first round QBs and churn and churn and churn. He hasn't done that. Why?

He said that when?

-King-
08-31-2012, 08:55 AM

PIOLI DOESN'T BELIEVE IN TAKING SAFETIES HIGH!
Posted via Mobile Device

GordonGekko
08-31-2012, 08:55 AM
WE HAVE A FIRST ROUND PICK ON THE ROSTER AND YOU GUYS HATE HIM. Drafting a first round qB isn't going to guarantee shit.

Was it Gretzky who said you miss 100% of the shot you don't take? Anyway, you have to keep taking chances on QB's in the first because it eventually it will payoff huge. Look at Cincy with Palmer, and San Diego. They just kept trying, remaining unfazed by the preceding failures. Most Superbowls are won by QB's who drafted by their respective team, usually in the first round. The Chiefs haven't picked a 1st round qb in almost 30 years. Pathetic and why we haven't sniffed a Lombardi.

durtyrute
08-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Was it Gretzky who said you miss 100% of the shot you don't take? Anyway, you have to keep taking chances on QB's in the first because it eventually it will payoff huge. Look at Cincy with Palmer, and San Diego. They just kept trying, remaining unfazed by the preceding failures. Most Superbowls are won by QB's who drafted by their respective team, usually in the first round. The Chiefs haven't picked a 1st round qb in almost 30 years. Pathetic and why we haven't sniffed a Lombardi.

I understand the premise of what you guys are saying. I want a great QB just as much as anyone. I'm just saying, we have a first round QB now, that hasn't been given a fair shot with a good team and everyone writes him off even though they are crying for a first round QB. Obviously, drafting one in the first doesn't automatically equal success.

Bewbies
08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Brady Quinn is ass. That's why he's bounced around the league and signed with us for a packet of ketchup and 4 french fries.

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Was it Gretzky who said you miss 100% of the shot you don't take? Anyway, you have to keep taking chances on QB's in the first because it eventually it will payoff huge.

I see where you are coming from but, it doesn't have to be a first round QB. We just need to draft a QB in every draft. We need to take guys that we are high on. If it's a first round QB, then so be it. However, we can't just take first round QBs for the sake of taking them. Look at Jacksonville, Cleveland, and Miami. All them are going to be set back for their gambling. If you are going to go with the quanity vs. quality approach, you need to do it with later round picks for the most part.

Check out this article from a while back... This is how it's done...

Chiefs want to draft quarterbacks the Ron Wolf way

Posted Dec 17, 2011

By Josh Looney

Green Bay's selection of quarterbacks is one the Chiefs would like to emulate

“I like the idea and concept of trying to get a quarterback every year. It’s something that I know (longtime Packers GM) Ron Wolf did, and talking with Ron over the years, it’s something he firmly believes in. A number of us in this league learn from him.”

Those were the words of Chiefs GM Scott Pioli last spring after Kansas City selected QB Ricky Stanzi with the first of two fifth-round draft picks.

Stanzi’s selection signaled a change in draft philosophy where Kansas City had selected just two quarterbacks (Brodie Croyle and James Kilian) in the previous 14 NFL drafts. In addition, none of those picks were used higher than the third round.

For well over a decade the Chiefs all but neglected to draft and develop a homegrown quarterback.

By comparison, Kansas City’s opponent this weekend –the undefeated defending Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers – has selected seven quarterbacks over that same timeframe including Aaron Rodgers and Matt Hasselbeck.

Most all of this occurred while Brett Favre was entrenched as Green Bay’s starting quarterback.

The Packers didn’t need quarterbacks, but they stockpiled and tried to develop talent under center anyway. It’s obviously paid off.

“I would think (Packers GM) Ted Thompson would probably tell you that Ron Wolf started that philosophy and I believe that it’s definitely the right philosophy,” Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy said. “The quarterback position is the most important on the football field and you should never pass on a prospect regardless of a situation on your roster and that’s something that has been in place here for a long time.”

When Rodgers kept sliding down draft boards in 2005 and fell into the Packers’ lap at pick No. 24, Green Bay had no choice but to take the player they had rated as its best available.

Favre had posted a 4,000-yard season with 30 TD passes the year before, so Rodgers’ services weren’t needed immediately. He rode the pine, developing for three seasons behind iron man Favre before he’d get a chance to start a game.

Rodgers attempted just 59 total passes during his first three seasons serving as a backup.

“Our philosophy is best player available and for us to stick to that we can’t worry about who is on the roster,” McCarthy said. “That could be at quarterback, running back or any other position. We’ve always believed that you should trust your draft board and then coaches need to trust their game plan each Sunday.”

Green Bay hedged their bet on Rodgers when they drafted two more quarterbacks the first season Rodgers replaced Favre. One of those picks was a second-round selection of Louisville QB Brian Brohm.

Brohm’s addition provided immediate competition for Rodgers.

“You have to be confident in your abilities and bring on any challenges that come your way,” Rodgers said. “(Brohm) came in and thought he was going to beat me out.”

Four years later Brohm is out of football and Green Bay’s seventh round pick from that same draft class is the one serving backup to Rodgers.

Much like Rodgers, Matt Flynn has waited in the shadows for a chance to play. A free agent after this season, most expect Flynn to compete for a starting job somewhere else next year.

“There are a couple of really good quarterbacks behind me who I believe have a chance to be NFL starters,” Rodgers said. “Matt Flynn immediately in the near future has a chance to be picked up by somebody.

“They’ve had some success here drafting quarterbacks. There have been a few guys who have waited here as backups and then went on to have success – Mark Brunell and Matt Hasselbeck are names that come to mind. Doug Peterson played a few games in Philly and came back. I think in general the philosophy of building a team through the draft has been successful for Ted Thompson in his tenure as GM.”

Flynn’s only start in four seasons also happens to be the last time Green Bay was defeated. He threw for three touchdowns and compiled a 100.2 quarterback rating in his only start, but Green Bay fell 31-27 in New England last December 19th.

Even though Rodgers had no chance of losing his starting position long-term, there was still a sense of competition pushing him to get back on the field more quickly because of Flynn’s success.

“I remember watching Matt Flynn play really well and knowing that I needed to get back the next week to get my job back,” said Rodgers.

Stockpiling quarterbacks not only adds depth, but creates competition as well. The best players almost always carry a sense of paranoia that they’ll lose their job no matter how far-fetched that possibility may be. Reality is often skewed in the mind of a true competitor.

Drafting more quarterbacks also decreases the bust factor.

Green Bay has had some dogs on its resume with Brohm being the most recent. Names like Craig Nall and former Chiefs backup Ingle Martin didn’t pan out either.

One day, Rodgers knows he may face a situation similar to the one he entered under Favre.

If another first-round quarterback falls to the Packers, much like Rodgers did in 2005, Rodgers says he knows it’s simply the Packers way of drafting.

“You have to have confidence in you abilities and helping out whoever they bring in is part of you legacy,” Rodgers said.

“Aaron will be the first to tell you that his three years of development helped prepare him to be ready when he became a starter,” McCarthy added. “He’s a very gifted quarterback, but he’s hit his stride. He’s doing all the little things day-in and –day-out and is in a very good place personally and professionally.”

A flashback to Pioli’s words last spring makes the Chiefs future at quarterback all the more interesting to watch in the coming months.

Even if the Chiefs head into the spring with all four quarterbacks currently on the roster, the Ron Wolf way of drafting won’t pass on adding another quarterback if he’s the best player on the board when it comes draft day.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-want-to-draft-quarterbacks-the-Ron-Wolf-way/dad55734-42b6-4dfb-9227-b9ca1bae7373

Mr. Flopnuts
08-31-2012, 09:37 AM
ROFL Just rehashing old conversations. As if this info didn't come out 2 fucking years ago. LMAO

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
ROFL Just rehashing old conversations. As if this info didn't come out 2 ****ing years ago. LMAO

I hear you. I just can't believe it's happening a week before the season. It's going to be pretty funny if we are good this year.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-31-2012, 09:43 AM
I hear you. I just can't believe it's happening a week before the season. It's going to be pretty funny if we are good this year.

I've pretty much said all I have to say about this team from a pre season aspect. I'll reserve real judgment until the end of September. BTW, there are only one set of Dawgs. And they play in the Pacific Northwest! :fire:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp299/go-huskies/th_uw_huskies_logo.jpg

http://www7.bookstore.washington.edu/images/Husky_08/lg/17083_l.jpg

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 09:47 AM
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp299/go-huskies/th_uw_huskies_logo.jpg

http://www7.bookstore.washington.edu/images/Husky_08/lg/17083_l.jpg

:facepalm:

Mr. Flopnuts
08-31-2012, 09:55 AM
:facepalm:

That's alright. We're gonna do you guys a favor and go shock the world next Saturday. Thank me later.

chiefzilla1501
08-31-2012, 11:16 AM
I see where you are coming from but, it doesn't have to be a first round QB. We just need to draft a QB in every draft. We need to take guys that we are high on. If it's a first round QB, then so be it. However, we can't just take first round QBs for the sake of taking them. Look at Jacksonville, Cleveland, and Miami. All them are going to be set back for their gambling. If you are going to go with the quanity vs. quality approach, you need to do it with later round picks for the most part.

Which goes back to my original point. The Chiefs have only drafted one QB in 4 years. And that was a 5th round pick.

They played it safe and traded for 2 known free agent commodities.

For some reason, Pioli isn't playing by his own playbook. And it goes back to the idea that he's terrific except for when he decides he needs to play favorites.

the Talking Can
08-31-2012, 11:20 AM

LMAO

oh no!..it risky!

never ends on this board...look at all our success they've missed out on...not drafting a QB in the first round for 30 years is the KEY to our...um...to our nothing...

Dayze
08-31-2012, 11:23 AM
yeah, we don't want to draft one because that would signal rebuilding, and we'd end up with .500 or below record and miss the playoffs.

notorious
08-31-2012, 12:23 PM
When a person is made to be uncomfortable is when they grow the most.

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 12:29 PM
That's alright. We're gonna do you guys a favor and go shock the world next Saturday. Thank me later.

Good luck... It's hard to play at LSU at night. Maybe the hardest place in all of football to play at. At least the game starts at 4:00 pm.

RealSNR
08-31-2012, 12:31 PM
LMAO

oh no!..it risky!

never ends on this board...look at all our success they've missed out on...not drafting a QB in the first round for 30 years is the KEY to our...um...to our nothing...
No kidding. I thought we purged the board completely of that dumbass opinion on first round QBs over a year ago.

Dayze
08-31-2012, 12:31 PM
When a person is made to be uncomfortable is when they grow the most.

your mom needs to make me really uncomfortable.

/obligatory

notorious
08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
my wife needs to make me really uncomfortable.

Rim job?

Dayze
08-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Rim job?

will that make me grow?:hmmm:

Imon Yourside
08-31-2012, 12:37 PM
All we had to do was start Palko all of last year and we would have Luck right now, let that sink in.

Imon Yourside
08-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Brady Quinn is ass. That's why he's bounced around the league and signed with us for a packet of ketchup and 4 french fries.

now now, it was 5 french fries and a bottle of old chicken was thrown in to sweeten the deal.

Bewbies
08-31-2012, 01:03 PM
All we had to do was start Palko all of last year and we would have Luck right now, let that sink in.

NO!! I will never root for KC to do something like that!! NO!!

/true fans

-King-
08-31-2012, 01:19 PM

Im good.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2012, 01:21 PM
No kidding. I thought we purged the board completely of that dumbass opinion on first round QBs over a year ago.

He is a dumbass from the Coaltion.

-King-
08-31-2012, 01:23 PM
NO!! I will never root for KC to do something like that!! NO!!

/true fans

I wouldn't. I can take losing. Losing on purpose is just about the worst thing any pro team can do. I cant support a team that would do that. We won 7 games last year. I'm more angry that Palko started 4 games than I am that he didn't start more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bewbies
08-31-2012, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't. I can take losing. Losing on purpose is just about the worst thing any pro team can do. I cant support a team that would do that. We won 7 games last year. I'm more angry that Palko started 4 games than I am that he didn't start more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keep telling yourself that.

Both teams missed the playoffs, both teams would say last season sucked. They got Andrew Luck, we got Dontari Poe.

-King-
08-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Keep telling yourself that.

Both teams missed the playoffs, both teams would say last season sucked. They got Andrew Luck, we got Dontari Poe.

And? If you want a QB bad enough, trade up for him. Losing on purpose is the biggest pussy move you can make.

RealSNR
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
And? If you want a QB bad enough, trade up for him. Losing on purpose is the biggest pussy move you can make.

Which is why the Colts are fucking assholes.

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 01:33 PM
He is a dumbass from the Coaltion.

And you are just a dumbass.

No seriously, you know what? I am wrong and am an idiot. Just like all the other GMs who didn't take a first round QB this year. Maybe we can put together a petition or something to enlighten Clark Hunt and force him to make Pioli read your most spectacular posts on this original idea. Or, better yet, maybe we can convince Clark to fire Pioli?

-King-
08-31-2012, 01:35 PM
And you are just a dumbass.

A lot of things can be argued in football. The value of a first round QB is one of the few things that can't be argued. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd dig up OTWP's post about it. He really broke it down pretty nicely how valuable a first round QB is in this league.

Brock
08-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Look at Jacksonville, Cleveland, and Miami. All them are going to be set back for their gambling.

Yep! If only they did it our way. Then they'd have the following accomplishments:

RealSNR
08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Yep! If only they did it our way. Then they'd have the following accomplishments:

2. Available season tickets

whoman69
08-31-2012, 01:49 PM

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I said so during the suck for Luck phase, and I say it now. A team that gets that loser mentality takes a long time to get out of that hole. We would not have any FA wanting to come join those bunch of losers for a franchise that would come to be known for being a loser. I root for the Chiefs to win.

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2012, 01:52 PM
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I said so during the suck for Luck phase, and I say it now. A team that gets that loser mentality takes a long time to get out of that hole. We would not have any FA wanting to come join those bunch of losers for a franchise that would come to be known for being a loser. I root for the Chiefs to win.

Considering we lost games because of losing star players, that is not having a loser mentality. Most of the shit would have been cut because they are shit to begin.

Donger
The consensus seems to be that QB is the most important position, right? If so, why would anyone be uncomfortable or hesitant to use the most important draft pick of any year on a QB?

Black Bob
A lot of things can be argued in football. The value of a first round QB is one of the few things that can't be argued. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd dig up OTWP's post about it. He really broke it down pretty nicely how valuable a first round QB is in this league.

I would like to see it. Here's a list of the current starting QBs that are first round picks.

Sam Bradford
Jay Cutler
Joe Flacco
Josh Freeman
Blaine Gabbert
Robert Griffin III
Jake Locker
Andrew Luck
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning
Cam Newton
Carson Palmer
Christian Ponder
Phiilp Rivers
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Rothlesberger
Matt Ryan
Mark Sanchez
Alex Smith
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Russell Wilson

So there it is. Now how many of these guys are good? Maybe half of them? More young quarterbacks will start this year than any other season in the history of the game. What I see is desperation. I see a lack of talent at the quarterback position in a quarterback driven league. Most of these guys will never amount to jack. When I was looking for these guys, I passed so many former first round picks hanging on by a thread as back ups. The truth is that quarterbacks are just like any other position. If you start looking at them differently, then you start reaching.

suds79
08-31-2012, 01:53 PM
The consensus seems to be that QB is the most important position, right? If so, why would anyone be uncomfortable or hesitant to use the most important draft pick of any year on a QB?

Because you're afraid of missing...

That and you think you can find a championship level QB later on. ;)

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 01:53 PM

Exactly. if this was true, every QB worth drafting would go picks #1 - #12 or whatever...

Donger
08-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Because you're afraid of missing...

That and you think you can find a championship level QB later on. ;)

Afraid is using a #1 pick and having that pick being bust?

suds79
08-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Afraid is using a #1 pick and having that pick being bust?

I think so. That's the only rational I can come up with. It simply doesn't make any sense.

-King-
08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
I would like to see it. Here's a list of the current starting QBs that are first round picks.

Sam Bradford
Jay Cutler
Joe Flacco
Josh Freeman
Blaine Gabbert
Robert Griffin III
Jake Locker
Andrew Luck
Eli Manning
Peyton Manning
Cam Newton
Carson Palmer
Christian Ponder
Phiilp Rivers
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Rothlesberger
Matt Ryan
Mark Sanchez
Alex Smith
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Russell Wilson

So there it is. Now how many of these guys are good? Maybe half of them? More young quarterbacks will start this year than any other season in the history of the game. What I see is desperation. I see a lack of talent at the quarterback position in a quarterback driven league. Most of these guys will never amount to jack. When I was looking for these guys, I passed so many former first round picks hanging on by a thread as back ups. The truth is that quarterbacks are just like any other position. If you start looking at them differently, then you start reaching.

Here's a list of superbowl winning quarterbacks (first round picks in bold):

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath (MVP), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 5. John Unitas (Chuck Howley), 1 TD
Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese (Jake Scott), 1 TD
Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese (Larry Csonka), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw (Franco Harris), 1 TD
Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw (Lynn Swann), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler (Fred Biletnikoff), 1 TD
Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach (Harvey Martin & Randy White), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann (John Riggins), 2 TDs,
Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD
Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana (Jerry Rice), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana (MVP), 5 TDs
Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD
Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD

Any further questions?

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
I think so. That's the only rational I can come up with. It simply doesn't make any sense.

I don't think Pioli is afraid of missing. He believes in his picks. If he didn't, he would never have taken Tyson Jackson at #3. jackson was slated in the #11 - 20 range. The #3 pick cost a whole lot of money before the new cba and we won't be picking there again anytime soon.

suds79
08-31-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't think Pioli is afraid of missing. He believes in his picks. If he didn't, he would never have taken Tyson Jackson at #3. jackson was slated in the #11 - 20 range. The #3 pick cost a whole lot of money before the new cba and we won't be picking there again anytime soon.

I think he's either afraid of picking a quarterback and missing or he truly believes that 1 can be found later on in the draft and if so that is a fireable offense.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
I believe it was Dick Vermeil that said you don't want to take a QB in the first round because you won't be there to see him develop.

ct
08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
I'd love to see Pioli go ballsy and offer a deal w/ Philly.

2013 1st round pick

for

QB Nick Foles + 2013 2nd round pick

We are likely looking at a pick around 10-15 again, while Philly quite likely will be in the bottom 10 or very late indeed, so that could be a 40+ pick trade back. Too much? Yea probably. Enough to be an offer they can't refuse? Possibly. But if we pull out 6-7-8 wins, it'll cost more than that to trade UP in the 1st to get anybody worthy in 2013 draft, so WTF? Try SOMETHING!!

suds79
08-31-2012, 02:15 PM
I believe it was Dick Vermeil that said you don't want to take a QB in the first round because you won't be there to see him develop.

That's probably true in the old days of the NFL (DV's era) where it took QBs 3-4 years to develop.

ChiefsCountry

2013 1st round pick

for

We are likely looking at a pick around 10-15 again, while Philly quite likely will be in the bottom 10 or very late indeed, so that could be a 40+ pick trade back. Too much? Yea probably. Enough to be an offer they can't refuse? Possibly. But if we pull out 6-7-8 wins, it'll cost more than that to trade UP in the 1st to get anybody worthy in 2013 draft, so WTF? Try SOMETHING!!

Fuck that. Second round picks don't win Super Bowls.

-King-

2013 1st round pick

for

No.
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Will-Smith-Yelling-No-I-Am-Legend.gif

Chiefs Pantalones
08-31-2012, 02:17 PM
That's probably true in the old days of the NFL (DV's era) where it took QBs 3-4 years to develop.

Agreed.

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Here's a list of superbowl winning quarterbacks (first round picks in bold):

Any further questions?

So what?

24 of 46 or 52%?

How many of those teams had first round players in the secondary, linebackers, d-linemen, offensive linemen, runningbacks, or receivers? It's the exact same thing.

Quarterbacks are an important piece to the puzzle. However, as far as talent goes, it's just like any other position. Nowadays teams are forcing QBs into the first round and that's my point above. Some years there are more quarterbacks than others. Sometimes it's wide receivers or offensive tackles. Last draft there was essentially one safety.

You can't just decide to take a first round quarterback to make yourself feel better. He has to be a good player. He has to be deserving of the grade or he'll end up like most of them do - on the bench or out of the league.

I would almost bet that the odds of winning a Superbowl are greater than drafting a franchise QB in the first round.

ct
08-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Yea you guys are right, let's sit tight and watch Cassel flub us through 2012 and Pioli picks another SEC 5tech @#12 next year, and another Big10 QB prospect in the 6th. Much better plan!

-King-
08-31-2012, 02:19 PM
So what?

24 of 46 or 52%?

More first round QBs have won the superbowl than EVERY OTHER ROUND COMBINED. And that dates back to the days when the draft had 12 rounds.

-King-
08-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Yea you guys are right, let's sit tight and watch Cassel flub us through 2012 and Pioli picks another SEC 5tech @#12 next year, and another Big10 QB prospect in the 6th. Much better plan!

Yeah you're right. We should trade for another quarterback. I mean, it's obviously been a very successful plan the last 40 years. Why not one more! Fuck yeah!

-King-
08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
In other words, a QB chosen in the first 32 picks has a better chance of winning a superbowl than a QB chosen in the last 190+ picks.

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
More first round QBs have won the superbowl than EVERY OTHER ROUND COMBINED. And that dates back to the days when the draft had 12 rounds.

It's horseshit man. It's all relative. I could probably say more first round cornerbacks have won the Superbowl than every other round combined. It's about really good players vs. ok players. In most cases, the really good QBs won multiple Superbowls. How many Hall of Famers played in Superbowls? - any position... The large majority of them right?

suds79
08-31-2012, 02:23 PM
It's horseshit man. It's all relative. I could probably say more first round cornerbacks have won the Superbowl than every other round combined.

We should probably look that up as I'm not so sure that's accurate. Could be right... I wouldn't be shocked if that's wrong though.

the Talking Can
08-31-2012, 02:29 PM
So what?

24 of 46 or 52%?

How many of those teams had first round players in the secondary, linebackers, d-linemen, offensive linemen, runningbacks, or receivers? It's the exact same thing.

Quarterbacks are an important piece to the puzzle. However, as far as talent goes, it's just like any other position. Nowadays teams are forcing QBs into the first round and that's my point above. Some years there are more quarterbacks than others. Sometimes it's wide receivers or offensive tackles. Last draft there was essentially one safety.

You can't just decide to take a first round quarterback to make yourself feel better. He has to be a good player. He has to be deserving of the grade or he'll end up like most of them do - on the bench or out of the league.

I would almost bet that the odds of winning a Superbowl are greater than drafting a franchise QB in the first round.

you are True Fan 2.0

kind of awesome

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
We should probably look that up as I'm not so sure that's accurate. Could be right... I wouldn't be shocked if that's wrong though.

I will do it when I get a chance next week.

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
you are True Fan 2.0

kind of awesome

And we thought we were done with this type on this board. 60% of the Super Bowls have been won by 1st round quarterbacks. Its pretty fucking simple really.

the Talking Can
08-31-2012, 02:34 PM
And we thought we were done with this type on this board. 60% of the Super Bowls have been won by 1st round quarterbacks. Its pretty ****ing simple really.

it ain't science

you are most likely to find the best QBs there...QBs are the most important players in the league, and no other position comes close...without the QB, you're basically wasting your time: see Chiefs

you'd think the last 30 years of our franchise would have satisfied the "don't need a first round QB" morons...but I guess they need 50 years of abject fucking failure to learn a simple lesson

the Talking Can
08-31-2012, 02:35 PM
but he have spent 3 top eleven picks on the DL...jesus

brilliant

Poe = not risky, essential

QB = risky, not essential

weep

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 02:41 PM
it ain't science

you are most likely to find the best QBs there...QBs are the most important players in the league, and no other position comes close...without the QB, you're basically wasting your time: see Chiefs

you'd think the last 30 years of our franchise would have satisfied the "don't need a first round QB" morons...but I guess they need 50 years of abject ****ing failure to learn a simple lesson

We've had some good QBs in the last 30 years. We've even had Superbowl winning and losing QBs. We just haven't had the team. We've been close but no cigar.

It would be great to get the next Peyton Manning but the chances are so slim. If it were as easy as you guys seem to think it is the Hall of Fame would be nothing but quarterbacks.

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 02:41 PM
but he have spent 3 top eleven picks on the DL...jesus

The game is won in the trenches. Just ask the Stanzi supporters.

BigMeatballDave
08-31-2012, 02:42 PM
5 rookie QBs starting this season, Scott.

Are you paying attention?

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 02:45 PM
5 rookie QBs starting this season, Scott.

Are you paying attention?

It's desperation man. There just isn't a whole lot of talent in the QB position. It's a league wide epidemic.

What would be interesting is to count the total number of Superbowl Quarterbacks that were first round picks. The winners and the losers. I think that would be a better measure than just the winners. Also, each guy should only be counted once. The guys who have won multiple superbowls are Hall of Famers and that's a level above a good first round pick.

Donger
08-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Perhaps there isn't really a way to accurately quantify the "worth" of a R1 QB without factoring in the rest of the players? But, of all present QBs who are considered "franchise QBs, how many were picked in the first round?

Black Bob
08-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Depends on how you define franchise QB I guess? Is Luck a franchise QB even though he hasn't played a game?

durtyrute
08-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Depends on how you define franchise QB I guess? Is Luck a franchise QB even though he hasn't played a game?

That's one of the parts I don't understand about the "get a franchise QB" crowd. How do you know before they play who is a franchise QB?

Donger
08-31-2012, 03:03 PM

I wouldn't think so, no.

durtyrute
08-31-2012, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't think so, no.

People already deemed him so before he even played.

BigMeatballDave
08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
It's desperation man. There just isn't a whole lot of talent in the QB position. It's a league wide epidemic.

What would be interesting is to count the total number of Superbowl Quarterbacks that were first round picks. The winners and the losers. I think that would be a better measure than just the winners. Also, each guy should only be counted once. The guys who have won multiple superbowls are Hall of Famers and that's a level above a good first round pick.

Doesn't matter.

The NFL is QB driven. These kids are very talented.

That is why they are starting.

Donger
08-31-2012, 03:11 PM

I presume that is based on his record as a college player and the ability to move from college-level to NFL. Would it be accurate to state that the chances of a QB becoming a franchise player are much higher in R1 than, say, R3 or lower? Any position for that matter?

BigMeatballDave
08-31-2012, 03:12 PM

Probably too soon to say it now, but you know he is.

He will also be elite.

He's the real deal.

durtyrute
08-31-2012, 03:19 PM
I presume that is based on his record as a college player and the ability to move from college-level to NFL. Would it be accurate to state that the chances of a QB becoming a franchise player are much higher in R1 than, say, R3 or lower? Any position for that matter?

Higher odds? Probably so, that still doesn't mean pick one in the first just because of lack of options.

I'm not even sure where this is going, Dongulous

Donger
08-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Higher odds? Probably so, that still doesn't mean pick one in the first just because of lack of options.

I don't know what you mean by "lack of options."

I'm not even sure where this is going, Dongulous

I think it's pretty obvious: that the odds of getting a potential franchise QB are higher in the very early rounds.

OnTheWarpath15
08-31-2012, 03:27 PM

Which one?

I've broken it down several ways. I think the one with the most impact was the one where I compared the percentage of all QB's taken in R1 who reached a SB (maybe just playoffs, can't remember) to the percentage of QB's taken in rounds 2 and later.

I vaguely remember the numbers being something along the lines of 18-20 percent of R1 QB's reaching the SB, versus 3% of those drafted in R2 or later.

DeezNutz actually had something in his sig line referring to it - "The Kansas City Chiefs: Looking for the Right 3%.

Brock
08-31-2012, 03:35 PM

So did every NFL team.

the Talking Can
08-31-2012, 03:36 PM
We've had some good QBs in the last 30 years. We've even had Superbowl winning and losing QBs. We just haven't had the team. We've been close but no cigar.

It would be great to get the next Peyton Manning but the chances are so slim. If it were as easy as you guys seem to think it is the Hall of Fame would be nothing but quarterbacks.

i never know what your talking about...it literally has no connection to anything that has actually happened...

just a bunch of babble

BoneKrusher
08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
So did every NFL team.

yep, best prospect to hit the NFL draft since Peyton Manning.
he's as close to a cant miss QB is there will ever be.

Damn Colts...

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
We just haven't had the team. We've been close but no cigar.

We have had the teams to win Super Bowls. We just have never had the quarterback.

Donger
08-31-2012, 03:43 PM
We have had the teams to win Super Bowls. We just have never had the quarterback.

Is that true? I thought that the failure of the later Trent Green-led teams was the defense.

BoneKrusher
08-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Is that true? I thought that the failure of the later Trent Green-led teams was the defense.

yep, if DV's defense had gotten a few stops here and there, the Offense was good enough.
IMO

ChiefsCountry
08-31-2012, 03:50 PM
yep, if DV's defense had gotten a few stops here and there, the Offense was good enough.
IMO

Didn't matter Green wouldn't have gotten done against Brady or Manning.

Setsuna
08-31-2012, 03:50 PM

When the fuck did we gamble? GTFO dude. We didn't gamble shit. We traded up. If that's gambling then every fucking team in the league has gambled. Except the Chiefs of course. AND that's the first time since 8 years ago - Leftwich. I'd rather gamble then draft scared.

notorious
08-31-2012, 04:17 PM
will that make me grow?:hmmm:

Depends on what floats your boat. ;)

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-31-2012, 04:27 PM

This. What a god-awful day in franchise history that was.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Draft first-round or GTFO.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Philadelphia and Green Bay can take these second and third day projects and make at least spot starters out of them. The Chiefs obviously can't. So I guess we'll just keep doing things the same old retarded way.

No shit. How frustrating is it that those teams can load up and we just pant load every season?

Donger
08-31-2012, 04:39 PM
The Chiefs have only drafted a QB twice in R1 in their history, and the last was in 1983? How does that compare to other teams?

Setsuna
08-31-2012, 04:55 PM
The Chiefs have only drafted a QB twice in R1 in their history, and the last was in 1983? How does that compare to other teams?

Jags are the same, but our franchise is much, much younger.

Marcellus
08-31-2012, 04:58 PM

Like you don't know the answer to this question.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Didn't matter Green wouldn't have gotten done against Brady or Manning.

Yeah, he only directed an offense that didn't punt in a playoff game. Guess it's his fault as well that Priest fumbled, the Worm dropped a TD pass, and the refs screwed Tony out of another one :rolleyes: