PDA

View Full Version : Life Car Question

KcMizzou
09-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm a parts guy, but far from a mechanic. I have this 98 Lumina 3.1L. After a long rain and sitting overnight, it will cut out on acceleration. Doesn't die it just spits and sputters until I let off the gas a bit. Makes driving to work after a rainy night a bit of an adventure. After the rain we had yesterday, is just now dried out enough to be back to normal.

I'm thinking moisture's getting into the electrical system causing it to miss. Thought about plugs and wires... might have a cracked ignition coil?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Phobia
09-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Antifreeze?

KcMizzou
09-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Antifreeze?Ha... already topped it off.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Water getting in the gas or electric somewhere. Bugeater knows cars.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-01-2012, 07:34 PM
FTR I know my post did nothing to solve your problem.

cdcox
09-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm a parts guy, but far from a mechanic. I have this 98 Lumina 3.1L. After a long rain and sitting overnight, it will cut out on acceleration. Doesn't die it just spits and sputters until I let off the gas a bit. Makes driving to work after a rainy night a bit of an adventure. After the rain we had yesterday, is just now dried out enough to be back to normal.

I'm thinking moisture's getting into the electrical system causing it to miss. Thought about plugs and wires... might have a cracked ignition coil?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, replace the plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc. Works wonders.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah, replace the plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc. Works wonders.

Shouldn't he have them checked first before spending money on something that might not be the problem?

Just asking... not a car guy.

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Plug wires, cool pack, or crank sensor.

If you are changing the wires might as well put new plugs in too.

Check engine flash?
Posted via Mobile Device

threebag
Shouldn't he have them checked first before spending money on something that might not be the problem?

It's a maintenance to do. Just not frequently like changing oil.

KcMizzou

Just asking... not a car guy.Plugs and wires are a normal maintenance thing that I've ignored for a long time.. and they're not very expensive. An ignition coil isn't too bad either, but it has 3 of them... the trick is figuring out which one is the problem. I don't know how tough they are to swap out, but it seems like it should be simple enough.

SAUTO
No dist. Cap on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
Plug wires, cool pack, or crank sensor.

If you are changing the wires might as well put new plugs in too.

Check engine flash?
Posted via Mobile DeviceCheck engine light's been on since I've owned it... heh

threebag
09-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Not tough at all.

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Plugs and wires are a normal maintenance thing that I've ignored for a long time.. and they're not very expensive. An ignition coil isn't too bad either, but it has 3 of them... the trick is figuring out which one is the problem. I don't know how tough they are to swap out, but it seems like it should be simple enough. coils are held on by two 5.5 mm bolts, simple to change. Wet that fucker down in the dark and watch for the spark to jump.

Or just go full billay and start touching shit and feel for the spark...
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
09-01-2012, 07:45 PM

I'm not an expert but this is a really common problem with an easy solution.

If he's never replaced the wires before, it's certainly time. Did the same on my '94 Ford F150 a few years ago and it cleared up the same problem.

KcMizzou
Mass airflow sensor is pretty new... I replaced it about 6 months ago.

Dr. Johnny Fever
Plugs and wires are a normal maintenance thing that I've ignored for a long time.. and they're not very expensive. An ignition coil isn't too bad either, but it has 3 of them... the trick is figuring out which one is the problem. I don't know how tough they are to swap out, but it seems like it should be simple enough.

Good enough. I'll bow out. Good luck.

KcMizzou
09-01-2012, 07:46 PM
coils are held on by two 5.5 mm bolts, simple to change. Wet that ****er down in the dark and watch for the spark to jump.

Or just go full billay and start touching shit and feel for the spark...
Posted via Mobile DeviceBZZZT!!! There it is!

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Check engine light's been on since I've owned it... heh

That's ok. When it's missing out does the light flash?

Going to the lake anytime soon? A good scanner should be able to find the issue pretty easily. Obd2 system on a 98 it records mis fires.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Mass airflow sensor is pretty new... I replaced it about 6 months ago.

Never seen one effected by moisture, but there's a first time for everything. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
That's ok. When it's missing out does the light flash?

Going to the lake anytime soon? A good scanner should be able to find the issue pretty easily. Obd2 system on a 98 it records mis fires.
Posted via Mobile DeviceNo, the lights just always on. I work at a dealership and the only codes it shows are for O2 sensors.

KcMizzou
I'm gonna start with plugs and wires.

Thanks for the advice, fellas.

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Really though you don't wasn't to get hit by a coil pack.

Actually I did just today lol. They hit a shit ton harder than the old coils
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 07:50 PM
No, the lights just always on. I work at a dealership and the only codes it shows are for O2 sensors.

Can they check the misfire data stream in real time on their scanner? should show the cylinders missing.

I thought that new only had one coil...
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
09-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Check engine light's been on since I've owned it... heh
I have one of those too on my Dakota. It did go off for about a year but now it's back on. Something about my catalytic converter....it runs fine so I haven't concerned myself with it. A lot of that is just emission control bullshit, it's basically the EPA telling you that something needs fixed. Fuck them.

KcMizzou
09-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I thought that new only had one coil...
Posted via Mobile DeviceThis is my setup..

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_coil_pack/gm_coil_packs_images/coil_module_assembly.jpg

KcMizzou
09-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I have one of those too on my Dakota. It did go off for about a year but now it's back on. Something about my catalytic converter....it runs fine so I haven't concerned myself with it. A lot of that is just emission control bullshit, it's basically the EPA telling you that something needs fixed. **** them.Yeah... we call that the "come to the dealership and spend some money" light.

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I have one of those too on my Dakota. It did go off for about a year but now it's back on. Something about my catalytic converter....it runs fine so I haven't concerned myself with it. A lot of that is just emission control bullshit, it's basically the EPA telling you that something needs fixed. Fuck them. basically your downstream oxygen sensor isn't showing a drop enough compared to the upstream for the computer to think the cat is working correctly...
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 07:59 PM
This is my setup..

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_coil_pack/gm_coil_packs_images/coil_module_assembly.jpg

Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
09-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah... we call that the "come to the dealership and spend some money" light.
The light said to check engine, so I checked and it was still there. I think I'm good.

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Are you sure there are three individual, the one piece looks the same without the little bolts, shit I probably have a couple of those types just laying around somewhere...
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
09-01-2012, 08:02 PM
basically your downstream oxygen sensor isn't showing a drop enough compared to the upstream for the computer to think the cat is working correctly...
Posted via Mobile Device
How much affect does that have on performance and fuel efficiency? Any at all?

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Again it would be simple to diagnose if their scanner shows misses in real time, not sure it will. You work at Kenworth iirc right?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 08:04 PM
How much affect does that have on performance and fuel efficiency? Any at all?

If you start to notice a decline in mileage and power it could be plugging up, if not fuck it.
honestly that's the same advice I give paying customers with older cars
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
09-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Are you sure there are three individual, the one piece looks the same without the little bolts, shit I probably have a couple of those types just laying around somewhere...
Posted via Mobile DeviceYeah, I looked one up at work and put it on my charge account... ended up returning it, because I never got around to doing anything with it... and I didn't want the payroll deduction to hit my paycheck.

The drought sucks, but it's been good for my car...lol

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I looked one up at work and put it on my charge account... ended up returning it, because I never got around to doing anything with it... and I didn't want the payroll deduction to hit my paycheck.

The drought sucks, but it's been good for my car...lol

Dude it should be pretty easy to fix, I think those coils cost about thirty bucks. I put one on this week.

Sit hit up a salvage yard and replace all of em...
Posted via Mobile Device

Tombstone RJ
09-01-2012, 08:07 PM
This is my setup..

I'd replace the coil pack too, they aren't expensive.

Bugeater
09-01-2012, 08:07 PM
If you start to notice a decline in mileage and power it could be plugging up, if not fuck it.
honestly that's the same advice I give paying customers with older cars
Posted via Mobile Device
Well the problem is that it's been that way the entire time I've owned the truck so I don't know what it's supposed to be like. It doesn't have a ton of power but it only has the 3.9 V6, and I get 15-16 mpg around town which isn't terrible for a truck I guess, but my Grand Caravan actually weighs more and it gets around 20 in town.

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Well the problem is that it's been that way the entire time I've owned the truck so I don't know what it's supposed to be like. It doesn't have a ton of power but it only has the 3.9 V6, and I get 15-16 mpg around town which isn't terrible for a truck I guess, but my Grand Caravan actually weighs more and it gets around 20 in town. that's about normal for one of those Dakotas.

You have had it at least a couple years iirc, and out would have gotten to the point that the truck wouldn't run at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
09-01-2012, 08:23 PM
that's about normal for one of those Dakotas.

You have had it at least a couple years iirc, and out would have gotten to the point that the truck wouldn't run at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I've had it over 3 years and nothing has changed with it. I'll probably end up replacing the entire exhaust at some point but as long as it runs and is quiet I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Thanks for the insight, it's always appreciated.

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah I've had it over 3 years and nothing has changed with it. I'll probably end up replacing the entire exhaust at some point but as long as it runs and is quiet I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Thanks for the insight, it's always appreciated. yeah the absolute best I have ever heard out of the Dakotas is around seventeen. Well best I've heard from known non bullshitters.

There's always the idiot that swears he gets 25. But I sure don't buy it
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
09-01-2012, 08:35 PM
yeah the absolute best I have ever heard out of the Dakotas is around seventeen. Well best I've heard from known non bullshitters.

Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe in a 1st generation regular cab short bed Dakota with a 4 cyl and 5 speed.

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Maybe in a 1st generation regular cab short bed Dakota with a 4 cyl and 5 speed.

Nope.
Lol. So underpowered.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
09-01-2012, 08:42 PM
yeah the absolute best I have ever heard out of the Dakotas is around seventeen. Well best I've heard from known non bullshitters.

Posted via Mobile Device

My old man is on his 3rd and they aren't really very fuel efficient at all.

SAUTO
09-01-2012, 08:59 PM
My old man is on his 3rd and they aren't really very fuel efficient at all.

Exactly.

Funny how some people just love them though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
09-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Exactly.

Funny how some people just love them though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Heh, that's me. I think they're the perfect size, more roomier than an S10 or Ranger, but not as bloated as a full size truck. And I'd probably only get 12 or 13 mpg in a full-size ext cab truck.

chiefforlife
09-01-2012, 09:26 PM
A vehicle missing that bad will definitely set a code. If its P0300 thats random cylinder missfires. If its P0301- P0306 those are cylinder specific. P0301 being cylinder #1 and so on. That will identify which coil is bad if its a coil.
Either way do the plugs and wires then if the code reappears as a cylinder specific code, you will know which one it is.