PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Questions a-plenty as Chiefs prepare for opener

Tribal Warfare
09-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Questions a-plenty as Chiefs prepare for opener (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/questions-plenty-chiefs-prepare-opener-204253661--nfl.html)

By DAVE SKRETTA (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Kansas City Chiefs might be the only NFL team that has more questions heading into the regular season than it had at the start of training camp.

Most of it pertains to injuries. Linebacker Derrick Johnson has been hobbling around on a bad ankle, cornerback Brandon Flowers has a bum heel, safety Kendrick Lewis is dealing with a shoulder injury, and backup cornerback Jalil Brown has been trying to recover from a groin strain.

Then there’s the suspension of linebacker Tamba Hali, who violated the league’s substance-abuse policy, and a ragged preseason that ended with three straight losses. The defense was bludgeoned by St. Louis and Seattle, and the offense looked herky-jerky whenever it saw the field.

“They’re not going to cancel the game and we’re going to play,” Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said almost defiantly. “We will play, and I think those guys will represent themselves very well.”

Just who “those guys” are Sunday against Atlanta is another question.

Johnson was hurt in the Chiefs’ preseason finale against Green Bay, and he spent a sweltering workout Monday riding a stationary bike in the corner of the practice field. He said afterward that he’s planning to play against the Falcons, but the Chiefs are already hedging their bets.

Cory Greenwood or Brandon Siler would slide into the starting lineup, but they don’t have the experience or credentials of Johnson, who made his first Pro Bowl last year after making a career high 131 tackles, picking off two passes and making two sacks.

“Right now, it’s about getting healthy and seeing if I can help this team,” Johnson said. “The plan is to get back on Sunday. I’m a ballplayer, so it’s going to be hard to sit this one out.”

Hard on the Chiefs, too.

They’ll already be playing without Hali, who is also coming off his first Pro Bowl. He’s not eligible to practice or play until Week 2, depriving Kansas City of its top pass rusher.

The defense is further depleted in the secondary, where Lewis is almost certain to miss the Falcons game after getting hurt in the Chiefs’ second preseason game.

Flowers hasn’t practiced fully since July 31, and his backup Brown could miss the opener, leaving third-string defensive back Jacques Reeves to start against Matt Ryan, Roddy White and one of the most dynamic pass offenses in the NFL.

“You’d like to have all your guys all the time, but in this business, you don’t have all of them all the time,” Crennel said. “You have to depend on other guys to step up and do their part.”

There was a silver lining with regards to Flowers, who stretched with the team Monday and tried to do more in practice. But even he isn’t sure whether he’ll be ready to play.

“If I’m out there on Sunday, that means I’m ready,” he said. “Nobody likes being away from the game, but you can never predict injuries. I want to get out there.”

So to summarize: The Chiefs could be without two starting linebackers, their starting safety, their best cornerback and his backup — and that’s not even factoring in safety Eric Berry, who is coming back from a torn ACL, or defensive tackle Anthony Toribio, whose ankle is ailing.

Not exactly the way anyone wants to start a season. And the Chiefs lost several key players early last year, too.

“Other guys have to step up and they have to be relentless,” Crennel said. “Like Eric Berry, he’s going to be relentless with or without Tamba. I think other guys will have to play the same way. Tyson Jackson, he plays his game. (Glenn) Dorsey will play his game.

“It’s the young guys that you don’t know exactly what you’re going to get from this scenario.”

Guys like defensive tackle Dontari Poe, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick.

He’s a 350-pound question mark after putting up modest numbers at Memphis and then turned heads with his almost incredible athleticism at the NFL combine. Poe could start his first regular-season game in a Chiefs uniform, something few people anticipated in April.

“Some teams may get banged-up in training camp, they get healthy during the season, and vice versa. That’s just the way football goes,” cornerback Stanford Routt said. “I’ve seen teams where there are questions in training camp, and you know, they’re not expected to have a good year, and they blow it out of the water. I’ve seen the direct opposite, too.

“We don’t have questions,” he added. “Everybody else has questions.”

___

Rasputin
09-04-2012, 07:22 AM
All I got to say is that am just glad we arn't the J E T S this season.

Luke Warm
09-04-2012, 07:23 AM
You'd think the Chiefs made the madden cover or some shit.

Baby Lee
09-04-2012, 11:17 AM
“They’re not going to cancel the game and we’re going to play,” Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said almost defiantly.

Why do I get the sagging sense that this came after an entire afternoon of begging and pleading to the contrary?

Pasta Little Brioni
09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
These guys are competitors, not planeteers still waiting for thier balls to drop.

ct
09-04-2012, 11:23 AM
I thought Jalil Brown was still suffering from those 3rd degree burns from his pre-season starts?

whoman69
09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
It could get ugly, even if we somehow manage to win.

HemiEd
09-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Why do I get the sagging sense that this came after an entire afternoon of begging and pleading to the contrary?

The players love him, and it is already starting to reek of similarities to the Frank Ganz year.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
we will find out pretty quickly if the team is going to be soft under Crennel.

Reerun_KC
09-04-2012, 01:49 PM
The players love him, and it is already starting to reek of similarities to the Frank Ganz year.Players loved Herm also...

I would be shocked if Crennel gets more than 2 years as the HC in KC...

Tribal Warfare
09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Players loved Herm also...

Herm was/is functionally retarded, but Romeo at least has his shit together when it comes to gameplanning a defense and has at least decent time management skills.

Bob Dole
09-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Bob Dole has this horrible feeling that we're going to try to stay vanilla on D to cover up our weak spots, and we're going to get torched repeatedly. Of course, that's after the O goes 3-and-out, and Atlanta puts together 7-8 minute drives. Rinse and repeat.

Romeo needs to dial up about 30 flavors of blitz and just go balls to the wall. Fuck it.

CoMoChief
09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
our secondary is burnt toast.

Reerun_KC
09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Herm was/is functionally retarded, but Romeo at least has his shit together when it comes to gameplanning a defense and has at least decent time management skills.

True, but I dont feel Crennel is HC material. Regardless of the talent. He will take the fall for this team.

I can see Crennel here one or two years max and will get axed when we draft a QB in favor of someone else.

This team could be loaded in 2 years. Put a franchise QB and a real NFL HC in the mix and look out.

Reerun_KC
09-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Bob Dole has this horrible feeling that we're going to try to stay vanilla on D to cover up our weak spots, and we're going to get torched repeatedly. Of course, that's after the O goes 3-and-out, and Atlanta puts together 7-8 minute drives. Rinse and repeat.

Romeo needs to dial up about 30 flavors of blitz and just go balls to the wall. **** it.

I have a feeling our offense will be pretty solid... But the defense will let us down... Normally thay cant stop shit, so why would this be any different.

We arent some defensive Juggarnaut, we are a barely average NFL defense...

RealSNR
09-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Agree with Bob Dole. Matt Ryan's a good QB but he has yet to prove he can be effective against super aggressive defenses.

That's going to be our best shot. Send Sheffield on every play (since he's kind of a liability in pass coverage), get Houston to prove his worth to this team, let Berry prowl, and get our shitty CBs to hit the receivers in the mouth. Maybe we'll get some turnovers if we're lucky.

King_Chief_Fan
09-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Players loved Herm also...

the year will prove he should be gone by next season. he isn't going to be very effective of being head coach and coaching the defense. This years D will likely get the D coach fired...and the head coach at the same time

TEX
09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
True, but I dont feel Crennel is HC material. Regardless of the talent. He will take the fall for this team.

I can see Crennel here one or two years max and will get axed when we draft a QB in favor of someone else.

This team could be loaded in 2 years. Put a franchise QB and a real NFL HC in the mix and look out.

Put a franchise QB and real NFL HC with this team and it's dangerous. This team should be farther along in year 4 of Pioli. They have a QB who has proven that he is not a franchise QB, they have a HC who has proven that he's better at being a DC and he picked the same OC who failed with him in Celveland and who hasn't accomplished anything in his current position in the NFL.

Cornstock
09-04-2012, 03:15 PM
At least we don't have an ex-O line coach as our coordinator now. Thats a disaster waiting to happen, and was terrible the last 2 times we had one. They have no idea how to call plays or how to exploit matchups.

Atlanta's offense is going to be scary good this year. Ryan is coming into his own and couldn't ask for more weapons, along with a solid run game. I think their O-line might be their biggest vulnerability so we need to get after the QB and disrupt his flow. It would sure be nice to have Tamba for this game. If Crennel can cook up some nice blitz packages to try to confuse Ryan we might be able to hold them down. But we'll also need to control the ball and not give him too many chances. Luckily, thats what we're supposed to be good at.

DJ will be back, and I have a strong feeling Flowers is going to play no matter what. He might be knicked up but he's played decently when he's played hurt before.

htismaqe
09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Put a franchise QB and real NFL HC with this team and it's dangerous. This team should be farther along in year 4 of Pioli. They have a QB who has proven that he is not a franchise QB, they have a HC who has proven that he's a better at being a DC and he picked the same OC who failed with him in Celveland and who hasn't accomplished anything in his current position in the NFL.

Couldn't.

Agree.

More.

Good post...