PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Do you drink Wine when you watch Football?

Deberg_1990
09-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Well, some of you Nancys obviously do…fess up.

"WFL" Wine Football League will be Revealed on 9-10-12

September 4, 2012- The WFL, Wine Football League will be announced to the public on Monday September 10, 2012 prior to the season-opener double header of Monday Night Football on ESPN.

The Wine Football League or the WFL is not a pro football league that is looking to rival the NFL. It's a creative "Football & Wine" marketing campaign created by The Wine'tastic Mile of Baltimore and Dunkadelic Sports Marketing.

The NFL is composed of 32 teams in 31 U.S. cities. The WFL will give each team a wine themed nickname to help promote the "Football & Wine" culture with the NFL. It's for wine lovers to follow their favorite teams with a wine inspired nickname.

There seems to be a never ending amount of beer commercials during the NFL regular-season and playoffs. Wine is never mentioned, but there are millions of NFL fans who enjoy watching games with a nice Cabernet or Chardonnay says, Derrick E. Vaughan the creator of the WFL.

When you go to a big-time steakhouse or upscale seafood restaurant during games or after games you see the wine drinkers enjoying their wine with a 20 oz. cowboy ribeye or grilled branzino fish, Vaughan continues.

The idea came to Vaughan a sports guru while he was thinking about the 40th Anniversary of the 1972 Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins were the last NFL franchise to go undefeated for an entire season and during the playoffs in 1972.

Chris Berman of ESPN would say each year after the last NFL team would taste defeat the '72 Dolphins are popping the champagne realizing that their record of 17-0 still stands for another year.

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: "WFL" Wine Football League will be Revealed on 9-10-12 | NowPublic News Coverage http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/wfl-wine-football-league-will-be-revealed-9-10-12#ixzz25WQbUoUL

RustShack
No, I'm straight.

Chief Gump
You know how I know you are gay?

ModSocks
09-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Wine? That just seems...wrong. Same for Cocktails.

Beer or nothing.

Lonewolf Ed
09-04-2012, 11:15 AM
No, I'm straight.

So am I, and drinking wine during football is un-American! It's probably what commies do.

bevischief
Hell no.

notorious
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4828952684265912&id=66465f846bb04d9aa3a326d4e234a898

"Those guys are Faaaggs!!!"

htismaqe
09-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Is Mad Dog 20/20 wine?

:D

Pasta Little Brioni
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
It's usually tears

In58men
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Not sure if I have or not. The ladies drink wine and I might have a sip, but it's strictly beer for the most part. Tomatoe beers around 9

rockymtnchief
09-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Back in the Herm days I polished off a 5th of Hutterite wine over the course of the season. It was their grape wine made of Everclear and grape juice.

Reerun_KC
09-04-2012, 11:28 AM
When watching the Chiefs, I go to Jim Beam Bourbon.

DaFace
09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Me? No. But the wife and her female family members do pretty regularly.

gblowfish
09-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Only acceptable football liquor:
Beer: All purpose, any time.
Bloody Mary: Tailgate before game
Whiskey: In flask, at tailgate, snuck into game
Schnapps: Cold weather games, in flask.
Gators: That's Gatorade and Grain Alcohol, only for College Football. Must be consumed from a big plastic trash can. When using grape gatorade can also be known as "Purple F*ck."

Baby Lee
09-04-2012, 11:32 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5pbc_vloYRk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiefsCountry
09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't like drinking when watching sports especially games I have paid money to go to.

Dartgod
09-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Not a wine drinker, but I do have a set of 4 of the Gridiron Cuvee wine bottles. I bought them back in the '90s. Never have been able to figure out if the are worth anything or not.

These are the labels on the bottles I have. Never been opened.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Set-4-Kansas-City-Chiefs-Wine-Labels-NFL-Football-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/$(KGrHqZHJE0E+7T9J6mHBQKvrnSr,Q~~60_57.JPG

saphojunkie
09-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Sure.

MIAdragon
09-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Wine, no, however a nice scotch goes a long way to easing the pain of watching mark castle "play".

Molitoth
09-04-2012, 11:45 AM
I love wine, scotch, and other fine alcohols, but not with Football. Beer me.

qabbaan
09-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't mind wine, but drinking at home by yourself at noon on a Sunday is kind of sad.

ChiTown
09-04-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't mind wine, but drinking at home by yourself at noon on a Sunday is kind of sad.

The Fuck? Why?

htismaqe
09-04-2012, 11:51 AM

How about drinking at home, by yourself, while sitting on conference calls, on a Tuesday morning?

blaise
09-04-2012, 12:00 PM
If I drink more than two glasses of wine it just gives me a headache. I don't know how people can drink glass after glass.

Sofa King
09-04-2012, 12:04 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wXw6znXPfy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RustShack
09-04-2012, 12:04 PM

If you don't like America, then you can just fucking leave!

Reerun_KC
09-04-2012, 12:06 PM
How about drinking at home, by yourself, while sitting on conference calls, on a Tuesday morning?

I have a 5th in my office for those types of calls.

CoMoChief
09-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't drink wine period.

Art Vader
09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
I bet Clark Hunt does!

I'm all about the Weed Football League. Chiefs don't even gotta change their name for that.

Stewie
09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Sometimes.

InChiefsHeaven
09-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Whiskey. That is all.
Or spiced Rum and OJ if you're tailgaiting. Good way to start the day.

Fish
09-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Only if I run out of beer and bourbon...

Kclee
09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
No to the wine. Wine coolers though, that's ok right?...........

InChiefsHeaven
09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
No to the wine. Wine coolers though, that's ok right?...........

At no time are wine coolers OK. Unless you squat to pee...

Dartgod
09-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Only if I run out of beer and bourbon...

Did your husband drink all the tequila?

scho63
09-04-2012, 12:35 PM
I always start with Heinekens but after sitting for over 2-3 hours, I can only drink so much beer so I need to switch. Sometimes to Chianti for when I have pasta or Ketel One vodka w a splash of grapefruit for when it's just Hors d'oeuvres for the rest of the night

ModSocks
09-04-2012, 12:39 PM
I bet Clark Hunt does!

I'm all about the Weed Football League. Chiefs don't even gotta change their name for that.

I don't smoke weed for games. Not for Chiefs games at least. Makes the games boring. Being drunk makes them exciting.

Fish
09-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Did your husband drink all the tequila?

I don't think I've had tequila in at least 4 years. We don't dance well....

Art Vader
09-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't smoke weed for games. Not for Chiefs games at least. Makes the games boring. Being drunk makes them exciting.

Well I don't drink anymore.. and I smoke weed all the time and coincidentally Chiefs games happen sometimes lol.. It helps me focus and actually makes the games more exciting for me. (to each his own)

I used to drink during the games.. I would lose interest/focus/temper. Weed helps me to not care if the team is stinking it up while maintaining my ability to remember what happened in the game afterwards.

wine during a football game is a bitch-move though IMO :D

Rausch
09-04-2012, 01:01 PM

Only when we lose...

ModSocks
09-04-2012, 01:07 PM
It helps me focus....

Weed helps me to not care if the team is stinking it up while maintaining my ability to remember what happened in the game afterwards.

wine during a football game is a bitch-move though IMO :D

I agree with those statements.

When i smoke and watch football, i swear i can see everything that's going on on the Field.

Also, I smoked my way through Tyler Palko, so i understand.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2012, 01:07 PM
never

in fact, the only time i ever drink wine is when it's at some event or party where you don't really have much of a choice.

gblowfish
09-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I always start with Heinekens but after sitting for over 2-3 hours, I can only drink so much beer so I need to switch.

I feel obligated...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/snhiofL2Rh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Art Vader
09-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Also, I smoked my way through Tyler Palko, so i understand.

haha
I've been smokin' since Steve Bono

KCrockaholic
09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Don't drink and watch football.

When this happens, that's why we get opinions like "Tyson Jackson sucks", and "Carr is better than Flowers".

Pasta Little Brioni
09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
No, but most here whine while watching it.

T-post Tom
09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Only when I am watching with Coach Vermeil & his lovely wife.

Katie
09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I drink wine but that's because I'm a wino...I didn't realize there were any other choices...

scho63
09-04-2012, 01:49 PM
I feel obligated...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/snhiofL2Rh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

I forgot about that scene! :LOL:

GloryDayz
09-04-2012, 01:57 PM
During the game it's the Kraken or the Captain (usually), but afterwards, I'll partake of Merlot... Then again, I'll partake of beer too. Or Patron... Or anything else that'll get my mind off of what I just saw!

MIAdragon
09-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Don't drink and watch football.

When this happens, that's why we get opinions like "Tyson Jackson sucks", and "Carr is better than Flowers".

http://pizzacomedy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/drnk-men.jpg

|Zach|
09-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't drink much at all during Chiefs games.

gblowfish
09-04-2012, 03:29 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Sm8JM-K1dc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Psyko Tek
09-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Wine? That just seems...wrong. Same for Cocktails.

Beer or nothing.

usually red beer,
but I fear for this game, may do vodka shots with it

SAUTO
09-04-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't like drinking when watching sports especially games I have paid money to go to.

Heh, me either.

I don't drink when I watch the games at home, at the game, well maybe one at the tailgate, but that's it.
Posted via Mobile Device

MahiMike
09-04-2012, 07:23 PM
This is perfect for Chiefs fans. They tend to WHINE after every game.

Saulbadguy
09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I usually do a few lines at halftime

Tombstone RJ
09-04-2012, 07:44 PM
no. hell no.

Luke Warm
09-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Absolutely not. Wine is disgusting imo.

Titty Meat
09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Wine is gross

Setsuna
09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Wine sucks. It cut my streak of puke free since '93. Hope they stop manufacturing it altogether.

Bwana
09-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Back in the Herm days I polished off a 5th of Hutterite wine over the course of the season. It was their grape wine made of Everclear and grape juice.

Jesus! LMAO

Kerberos
09-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Not sure if I have or not. The ladies drink wine and I might have a sip, but it's strictly beer for the most part. Tomatoe beers around 9

Man law states "NO FRUIT IN BEER" technically tomatoes are a fruit.

If your gonna do that you might as well put an umbrella in it and call it a BEER-Colada. :)

Radar Chief
09-06-2012, 01:07 PM
No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked something like that, man. /Lawrence

Rain Man
09-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Wine sucks. It cut my streak of puke free since '93. Hope they stop manufacturing it altogether.

I think it's just a 2,000-year fad. It'll fade eventually.

Aries Walker
09-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Wine is a big fat no, but I could do a tumbler of Scotch, Law and Order style.

CoMoChief
09-06-2012, 01:12 PM
So last night a buddy calls me up and asks what I'm doing for the Giants Cowboys game. Told him I was staying in watching it at home, but if he's bored he can come over and chill at my place and watch the game.

He says ok and was going to be at my place at around 7pm before the game started.

I then get a text at about 6:30pm. "Do you have a wine bottle opener?"

My reply.."Uhhh, no. I don't ever drink wine unless it's an occasion that I can't avoid"

He shows up with a bottle of wine. I almost told him to leave LMAO.

I guess he thought we were going to cuddle later.

CoMoChief
09-06-2012, 01:15 PM
I can't stand the taste of wine.

People always tell me "Well you haven't had good wine"

Which is true...I've never had a high pricey good quality glass of wine.

I don't ever plan to, all wines taste the same IMO. They all taste like ass.

Aries Walker
09-06-2012, 01:17 PM

I am right with you there. A friend of mine gifted me with a bottle of wine, and it sits unopened in the back of my booze cabinet. It will probably turn to vinegar before I open it.

. . . unless she comes over, that is.

Bump
09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Drinking wine on NFL Sunday is only acceptable if you are in one of those stupid states that won't sell alcohol on sunday and wine is all you have and you can't really afford to go out to buffalo wild wings to watch the games. Then yes, then wine is okay.

Aries Walker
09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
one of those stupid states that won't sell alcohol on sunday
INDIANA

Pretty good place to have a Super Bowl.

tooge
09-06-2012, 02:28 PM
wine is good with a killer meal, but a sub rule prohibits wine at a killer meal if it is at a tailgate. So, wine is ok at home, but only if you are eating a big meal. Never at the game, and never while just watching the game. Beers, redbeer before noon, and bloody mary are all acceptable. Whiskey is ok if its real cold out. That should clear it all up for you.

HemiEd
09-06-2012, 02:33 PM
ROFL at all the wine hate here.

It is not my choice usually for watching a game, but peer pressure would never keep me from doing so.

I keep a pretty good selection of cab in the house that will hold up to a nice steak.

Enjoying wine and beer, are two totally different things, and I still have a lot to learn about both of them.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 02:37 PM
OK, I don't generally drink wine during football games, but I have before. I love wine. In another life, I'm going to be a sommelier.

Absolutely not. Wine is disgusting imo.

Wine is awesome! I love wine, all types. Not big on Sauvignon Blanc, though. Tastes kinda like strong cheese. But I love the bright acidity and subtle fruitiness of a nice Riesling and the pumped up volume of a Chardonnay, but what really perks my taste buds is a light Pinot Noir or a full bodied, bold Shiraz or Syrah.

Wine is gross

Simply not true.

I would cry if they stopped making wine. I actually had a wine tasting at my house last weekend.

That's really sad. You can get a really nice wine for $10 and less, just gotta know what to get. It's also possible you haven't had it served properly.

wine is good with a killer meal, but a sub rule prohibits wine at a killer meal if it is at a tailgate. So, wine is ok at home, but only if you are eating a big meal. Never at the game, and never while just watching the game. Beers, redbeer before noon, and bloody mary are all acceptable. Whiskey is ok if its real cold out. That should clear it all up for you.

I drink wine with regular old meals. I had a nice glass of Pinot Noir with a microwave beef pot pie last week. True story.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 02:38 PM
ROFL at all the wine hate here.

It is not my choice usually for watching a game, but peer pressure would never keep me from doing so.

I keep a pretty good selection of cab in the house that will hold up to a nice steak.

Enjoying wine and beer, are two totally different things, and I still have a lot to learn about both of them.

Mrs. FMB! and I are actively trying to learn more, and it's really shocking what you can learn about the grape varietals simply by drinking different styles in a tasting setting.

DaneMcCloud
09-06-2012, 02:40 PM

I don't drink at 10am, ever. And certainly not while watching football, whether home or at a game. What's the point?

As for wine, I'm not a wine drinker. I've tried and tried and tried to get into it, but the only time I like it is when it's paired with a specific dish that the chef recommends. Otherwise, I don't enjoy it.

saphojunkie
09-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I freaking love wine. I love it. I collect it. I'm going to go taste wine this weekend. I go several times a year, and I would own a vineyard if I had a few million to spare.

Wine country is god's country. Small towns, local businesses, farms, horses, clean air, and almost always it's got amazing food. Wine people like good restaurants.

Nothing like a good beer, especially in the morning, but yeah I'll drink wine during a game. My doctor sure prefers me to do that.

Rain Man
09-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I like wine, but only if it hasn't been fermented.

In thinking about it, I guess I like grape juice.

notorious
09-06-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't drink at 10am, ever. And certainly not while watching football, whether home or at a game. What's the point?

As for wine, I'm not a wine drinker. I've tried and tried and tried to get into it, but the only time I like it is when it's paired with a specific dish that the chef recommends. Otherwise, I don't enjoy it.

College Football with friends is the only time I drink while watching, and that is rare.

I enjoy football too much to cloud it up with double vision.

HemiEd
09-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Mrs. FMB! and I are actively trying to learn more, and it's really shocking what you can learn about the grape varietals simply by drinking different styles in a tasting setting.

I agree, but when it comes to a tasting, I just can't make myself spit out the wine after putting it in my mouth. :D
What do you prefer?
I have been drinking it enough that I have settled on liking nice heavy cabs the best. If it is a sweet wine, I just don't care for it.

When it comes to beer, I only recently learned about "hoppy" beers, as Phil and NewChief enlightened me one night when I was trying a 12er of Boulevard sampler.

I thought I had accidentally gotten into a batch of fence post preservative.

CoMoChief
09-06-2012, 02:55 PM

Oh that sounds really interesting!

/sarcasm

HemiEd
09-06-2012, 02:59 PM

/sarcasm

You would have to go somewhere besides the Walmart to experience it.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree, but when it comes to a tasting, I just can't make myself spit out the wine after putting it in my mouth. :D
What do you prefer?
I have been drinking it enough that I have settled on liking nice heavy cabs the best. If it is a sweet wine, I just don't care for it.

When it comes to beer, I only recently learned about "hoppy" beers, as Phil and NewChief enlightened me one night when I was trying a 12er of Boulevard sampler.

I thought I had accidentally gotten into a batch of fence post preservative.

I don't spit either, unless I'm driving and want to taste a bunch of wines. That's one of the benefits of doing it at home. :)

What you mean by "sweet." Most wines are dry from a winemaker's perspective. Dry to a winemaker means the process has fermented all the available sugar. Only wines that have been intentionally stopped short of full fermentation by too high alcohol (port, for instance) or have sugar added back in are "sweet" wines. Do you mean fruity - like a Riesling - where the wine is very fruit forward?

As for my favorites, I can find something to like about a bunch of wines, save the Sauvignon Blanc. Just not a fan.

I'm a huge fan of big, bold Shiraz, Syrah and Zinfandel. My favorite wine of the moment is Michael David's Earthquake Zinfandel (http://www.michaeldavidwinery.com/winedetail/earthquake-zinfandel). Holy crap that's good.

While I'll drink Cabernet Sauvignon - it's the aroma and taste that to me just screams "this is what red wine is all about" - it's not one of my favorites. For a lighter drink, I like Pinot Noir a lot, and I've been on a Pinot kick lately.

For a hot day, light meal (salad, seafood), I really like the crispness and acidity of a Riesling or Chardonnay.

I've only recently started being able to taste some of the winemakers' notes. This weekend I was drinking a Shiraz for for the first time actually was aware of vanilla from the oak. That was really exciting for me. And it very well might have been due to the fact that earlier that day I had actually tasted raw vanilla, so that flavor and aroma was very familiar.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:09 PM

/sarcasm

Next time you're in Alabama, swing by the house and I'll hook a brother up!

/sarcasm

Stewie
09-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I freaking love wine. I love it. I collect it. I'm going to go taste wine this weekend. I go several times a year, and I would own a vineyard if I had a few million to spare.

Wine country is god's country. Small towns, local businesses, farms, horses, clean air, and almost always it's got amazing food. Wine people like good restaurants.

Nothing like a good beer, especially in the morning, but yeah I'll drink wine during a game. My doctor sure prefers me to do that.

My brother lives in Sonoma County and grows grapes. He sells all his crop to a specific winery not in Sonoma that wants the "Sonoma" label on their product. There's a certain percentage of grapes in the wine required to have that label. Premium price just for a name.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM

I also collect what I can, but I don't have a cellar or basement, so mostly it's what I have room for in my 36-bottle fridge. I've got a half dozen or so vintage ports and madeiras chillin' for a few years, one back to '98. Drank the '97 I had a couple months ago.

QuikSsurfer
09-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I also collect what I can, but I don't have a cellar or basement, so mostly it's what I have room for in my 36-bottle fridge. I've got a half dozen or so vintage ports and madeiras chillin' for a few years, one back to '98. Drank the '97 I had a couple months ago.

Not gonna drop the dough for one of those floor cellars I linked you to? :)

saphojunkie
09-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't spit either, unless I'm driving and want to taste a bunch of wines. That's one of the benefits of doing it at home. :)

What you mean by "sweet." Most wines are dry from a winemaker's perspective. Dry to a winemaker means the process has fermented all the available sugar. Only wines that have been intentionally stopped short of full fermentation by too high alcohol (port, for instance) or have sugar added back in are "sweet" wines. Do you mean fruity - like a Riesling - where the wine is very fruit forward?

As for my favorites, I can find something to like about a bunch of wines, save the Sauvignon Blanc. Just not a fan.

I'm a huge fan of big, bold Shiraz, Syrah and Zinfandel. My favorite wine of the moment is Michael David's Earthquake Zinfandel (http://www.michaeldavidwinery.com/winedetail/earthquake-zinfandel). Holy crap that's good.

While I'll drink Cabernet Sauvignon - it's the aroma and taste that to me just screams "this is what red wine is all about" - it's not one of my favorites. For a lighter drink, I like Pinot Noir a lot, and I've been on a Pinot kick lately.

For a hot day, light meal (salad, seafood), I really like the crispness and acidity of a Riesling or Chardonnay.

I've only recently started being able to taste some of the winemakers' notes. This weekend I was drinking a Shiraz for for the first time actually was aware of vanilla from the oak. That was really exciting for me. And it very well might have been due to the fact that earlier that day I had actually tasted raw vanilla, so that flavor and aroma was very familiar.

When I started getting into wine, I was all about syrah. As I developed my palate, though, I moved on to some more complex stuff. Pinots have been coming back big time in California, so it must have been a good couple of seasons for them.

I'm always up for a good grenache, too. I used to be into real jammy syrahs, but gimme something smokey nowadays and I'm fine. The thing is, most of the time, I'm drinking wine just for the wine. I'm not drinking it with dinner at all, so I want something that tastes great as a stand alone.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Not gonna drop the dough for one of those floor cellars I linked you to? :)

Oh man, if I had that kind of dough, hell yeah I would. Actually, if the wife and I ever decide to build a house, I'll have a cellar of some sort. I don't need anything huge, but a 500 bottle cabinet in the ground would be kick ass.

QuikSsurfer
09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
When I started getting into wine, I was all about syrah. As I developed my palate, though, I moved on to some more complex stuff. Pinots have been coming back big time in California, so it must have been a good couple of seasons for them.

I'm always up for a good grenache, too. I used to be into real jammy syrahs, but gimme something smokey nowadays and I'm fine. The thing is, most of the time, I'm drinking wine just for the wine. I'm not drinking it with dinner at all, so I want something that tastes great as a stand alone.

This is the case with me as well. I'm partial to Pinot Noir: If I'm going cheap - Hob Nob (love the cherry and cola) for $11 a bottle. Otherwise, I'm typically going with Elk Cove, Wild Horse, or Sebastiani Pinot Noir.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:19 PM

I'm actually the same way. I drink much more wine without food than with.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
This is the case with me as well. I'm partial to Pinot Noir: If I'm going cheap - Hob Nob (love the cherry and cola) for $11 a bottle. Otherwise, I'm typically going with Elk Cove, Wild Horse, or Sebastiani Pinot Noir.

It's a little pricier, but Benton Lane's Pinot Noir is hella good - $25 or so per bottle.

saphojunkie
09-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Damn - I love me some port. I don't have a full cellar either, just the fridge where we keep some italian bottles that my wife has collected (she's from italy) and some nicer bottles that we're keeping until 2016 or later.

I love collecting wine. There's such a satisfaction with buying a really nice bottle and just keeping it. not as much as fun as drinking it, but patience pays off.

saphojunkie
09-06-2012, 03:23 PM
It's a little pricier, but Benton Lane's Pinot Noir is hella good - $25 or so per bottle.

If you get a chance - Fort Ross Pinot. $29 but tastes like $45.

QuikSsurfer
09-06-2012, 03:23 PM

That's about what I pay for a bottle of Elk Cove.

Benton Lane Pinot Noir:
"Very deep and complex aromas of Bing cherries, graham cracker pie crust, mushrooms and blackberries just leap from the glass. In the mouth blueberries, red raspberries and baked strawberries are ripe and viscous. This is a wine of tremendous depth and nuance."

I'll look for this tomorrow. Thanks.

Ming the Merciless
09-06-2012, 03:24 PM
I live in ground zero of wine country. Vineyards all around me for miles.

Open invitation for any CP member to hang out and drink the best wine in the world, and visit wineries....

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Damn - I love me some port. I don't have a full cellar either, just the fridge where we keep some italian bottles that my wife has collected (she's from italy) and some nicer bottles that we're keeping until 2016 or later.

I love collecting wine. There's such a satisfaction with buying a really nice bottle and just keeping it. not as much as fun as drinking it, but patience pays off.

Several years ago, I found several 2000 vintage bottles of port for cheap - like $30 apiece. I bought five or six of 'em and stored them. Over the years, I've opened a few and have really enjoyed the experience and how the wines have matured - I think I have three left. Supposedly should be at its peak in 2015, so will save the rest for then.

Deberg_1990
09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Next time you're in Alabama, swing by the house and I'll hook a brother up!

/sarcasm

Bama? What happened to Myrtle Beach?

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I live in ground zero of wine country. Vineyards all around me for miles.

Open invitation for any CP member to hang out and drink the best wine in the world, and visit wineries....

I might take you up on that sometime. The wife and I have been wanting to do a wine tour in CA.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Bama? What happened to Myrtle Beach?

Moved from MB in 2010. I'm a corporate guy now.

Hello Deberg, whats happening? Ummm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead come in tomorrow. So if you could be here around 9 that would be great, mmmk...

HemiEd
09-06-2012, 03:31 PM

You are much farther along with your understanding and appreciation of wine than I am, and my boss owns a winery. But that makes a lot of sense at it is consistent with your in depth appreciation of food.

The bosses husband has shared a lot wine with us, as he is totally obsessed with collecting it. He has several thousand bottles, and a huge wine cellar.

Riesling is one I don't like, almost any of the whites come across too sweet for me. I did fall in love with "Opus Conundrum" a while back, an amazing white that I ended up buying a case of.

I have a wine dyed T-Shirt that says "friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel."

I typically buy several bottles of a cab I enjoy, and keep it in the wine cabinets until it is 5 to 6 years old. I did enjoy a 7 year old bottle of my favorite "Freemark Abbey" when Herm got the axe. :D

Deberg_1990
09-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Moved from MB in 2010. I'm a corporate guy now.

Hello Deberg, whats happening? Ummm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead come in tomorrow. So if you could be here around 9 that would be great, mmmk...

Nice. Sounds like a promotion. Congrats!

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Re: Collecting wine... I've read somewhere recently that the average time a person "stores" a wine is 23 minutes - the time it takes to buy the bottle and get it home. That just makes me sad.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Nice. Sounds like a promotion. Congrats!

Yes, it was. And thanks!! I've actually made a lateral move since then, too. Now I'm doing much more traveling and working directly with our companies on digital and broadcast technology. Lots of fun.

Deberg_1990
09-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Re: Collecting wine... I've read somewhere recently that the average time a person "stores" a wine is 23 minutes - the time it takes to buy the bottle and get it home. That just makes me sad.

heh, your such a food and beverage snob. : )

HemiEd
09-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Hey, when 5 of us sailors lived together and "Boones Farm" was the main staple in our diet, 23 minutes would have been about right.

vailpass
09-06-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm actually the same way. I drink much more wine without food than with.

I drink exactly the same amount with food that I do without.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:41 PM
heh, your such a food and beverage snob. : )

Clay will be along shortly to tell me to put my monocle back on...

I'm really not, I just like good stuff, but it's not like I only eat great food. Seriously, on Friday I drank a glass of $10 Pinot Noir with a Marie Calendar's beef pot pie.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey, when 5 of us sailors lived together and "Boones Farm" was the main staple in our diet, 23 minutes would have been about right.

Five sailors huh? I'll bet you spit then.

HemiEd
09-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Five sailors huh? I'll bet you spit then.

:LOL: Oh shit, I teed that one up.

Fire Me Boy!
09-06-2012, 03:56 PM
If you're interested in storing, here's Wine Enthusiast's 2011 Cellar Selections.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1s8Cqe1zispak16TFQyMUZzS1k

HemiEd
09-06-2012, 04:01 PM
If you are ever in Southern California, I highly recommend dropping by this place. It is well worth the time, and they will ship it for you.

http://www.hitimewine.net/

Ceej
09-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Not only no, but fuck no!

Jenson71
09-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Paul Zimmerman (Dr. Z) was/might still be a big wine connoisseur, though I don't know if he drank while watching football. I say go for it. It's never a bad time for some vino.

Chest Rockwell
09-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Riesling is one I don't like, almost any of the whites come across too sweet for me. I did fall in love with "Opus Conundrum" a while back, an amazing white that I ended up buying a case of.

Riesling is one of those wines that can be very confusing and easy to get an off-dry if you don't know their labeling conventions. Look specifically for the word "Trocken" (halbtrocken or any other variation will be some level of off-dry) if you want a dry wine. There are also several levels of ripeness the grapes are harvested at that affect the body of the wine.

FMB, re: Sauv Blanc I've found I much prefer the old world styles to the new world (but that's the case with just about every varietal for me); by far most of the SBs I see are the New Zealand wines that are just punch you in the mouth with tart fruit and acidity. I like them when I'm in the mood for them or with spicy food and seafood. I tend to prefer, and you might like these better as well, SBs from the Loire Valley. Cooler-climate than the NZ/Chilean/etc. wines, so to me they're much more subtle and balanced. You still get the minerality and a lot of the same fruit profiles just in (IMO) a nicer package.

htismaqe
09-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Riesling is one of those wines that can be very confusing and easy to get an off-dry if you don't know their labeling conventions. Look specifically for the word "Trocken" (halbtrocken or any other variation will be some level of off-dry) if you want a dry wine. There are also several levels of ripeness the grapes are harvested at that affect the body of the wine.

Alsacian rieslings - gewurztraminer - are incredible. They are generally of the off-dry (halbtrocken or "half dry") variety but the sweetness is more subtle.

Chest Rockwell
09-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Alsacian rieslings - gewurztraminer - are incredible. They are generally of the off-dry (halbtrocken or "half dry") variety but the sweetness is more subtle.

Agreed, they are outstanding. Trockens from the Alsace can be hard to find, but they're some of my favorites.

htismaqe
09-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Agreed, they are outstanding. Trockens from the Alsace can be hard to find, but they're some of my favorites.

I used to live in the Schwabenland, east of Stuttgart.

We spent a lot of vacation time near Colmar, France. Alsace has a pretty special place in my psyche...at least from what I can remember. :D

Bwana
09-07-2012, 07:42 AM
No, I don't remember downing it while watching football.

Rausch
09-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Alsace has a pretty special place in my psyche...at least from what I can remember. :D

Alsace is only theirs until the next Reich...:cuss:

Jenson71
09-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Think of it always, speak of it never, Rausch.

Nzoner
09-07-2012, 07:55 AM
I never drink wine ever and I only occasionally drink during Sunday football as I have two fantasy leagues that go out every Monday and new this year on Thursdays,I save most of my drinking for that.

Chest Rockwell
09-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Give a German a gun and they turn to face Paris.

It's better than a compass.

HemiEd
09-07-2012, 08:07 AM

FMB, re: Sauv Blanc I've found I much prefer the old world styles to the new world (but that's the case with just about every varietal for me); by far most of the SBs I see are the New Zealand wines that are just punch you in the mouth with tart fruit and acidity. I like them when I'm in the mood for them or with spicy food and seafood. I tend to prefer, and you might like these better as well, SBs from the Loire Valley. Cooler-climate than the NZ/Chilean/etc. wines, so to me they're much more subtle and balanced. You still get the minerality and a lot of the same fruit profiles just in (IMO) a nicer package.
Thanks for the information. My eldest is nuts about Riesling, so I do keep some around for her occasional visit.

HemiEd
09-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Give a German a gun and they turn to face Paris.

It's better than a compass.

I never heard that. ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
09-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Oh, I've had some Sauvignon Blancs that were pretty decent. Just this last bottle (SIMI, Sonoma) tasted like stinky cheese. I'll try some of those you mention.

BoltWalt
09-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Is Mad Dog 20/20 wine?

Hell yes.
Not only is iot a wine but it is a Fortified wine!

L.A. Chieffan
09-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I've been to a few SC tailgates and they have whole groups of people drinking white wine and eating cheese. In South Central L.A.

Bwana
09-07-2012, 04:09 PM
I've been to a few SC tailgates and they have whole groups of people drinking white wine and eating cheese. In South Central L.A.

Now there's a shock!

MOhillbilly
09-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Only queers, hobos, and chicks drink wine.

L.A. Chieffan
09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Now there's a shock!

It's funny man because the campus is in the hood, but the alumni is all a bunch of yuppies.

Ming the Merciless
09-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I might take you up on that sometime. The wife and I have been wanting to do a wine tour in CA.

Dude if you do,let me know....I made a post in another thread with recommendations of things, but I would dig it up and update it for sure.

There are also micro breweries and great restaurants...

Keep in mind i live in Sonoma county, not napa county...

To me it is way better than Napa for wine, for life...for everything...but if you like Napa wines you can always stay a few days in Napa County and then Stay a few days in Sonoma county...

I would do Sonoma county / Sonoma coast ALL the fuckign way though.

But I am biased.....

Let me know if you do come here though, I will at the very least make sure you go to the coolest spots, don't spend too much etc....

Fire Me Boy!
09-09-2012, 07:48 AM
This thread got me thinking about cellaring some wines besides my ports and madeiras. I don't cellar much because I don't have a huge wine fridge... but I just remembered that we bought a new wine fridge a few months ago and we hadn't done anything with the one we replaced (nothing wrong with it, just not big enough). Thinking about bringing it back out for longer-term storage. Damn I wish I had a cellar or basement.