PDA

View Full Version : Football Ex-Ravens, Browns owner Modell in hospital; reportedly in serious condition

Tribal Warfare
09-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Ex-Ravens, Browns owner Modell in hospital; reportedly in serious condition (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20069004/exravens-browns-owner-modell-in-hospital-reportedly-in-serious-condition/)

BALTIMORE -- Former Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell is hospitalized in Baltimore.

The team says the 87-year-old Modell is at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Kevin Byrne, senior vice president of public and community relations for the team, did not know Modell's condition. But Cleveland television station WKYC reported that Modell's vital organs are failing.

Modell purchased the Cleveland Browns for $4 million in 1961 and moved the franchise to Baltimore in 1996. The relocation made him a hero in Baltimore but a pariah in Cleveland.

He sold a minority interest in the team to Steve Bisciotti in 2000, and in April 2004, Bisciotti completed purchase of the franchise. But Modell retained a 1 percent piece of the team and is listed in the current Ravens media guide as a minority owner.

During his days as sole owner of the team, Modell served as NFL president from 1967-69, chaired negotiations for the first collective bargaining agreement with the players in 1968 and was a key figure in getting NFL games televised on Monday nights.

Modell enjoyed watching the Ravens practice, always riding in a golf cart because he had difficulty walking. But those visits became more infrequent in recent years because of his failing health.

His wife of 42 years, Patricia, died in 2011.

Rasputin
09-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Is he on anyones celeb list?

I'm picking Jerry Jones next year.

Rasputin
09-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Is he on anyones celeb list?

I'm picking Jerry Jones next year.

Too soon?

listopencil
09-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Is it mean of me to hope that someone sneaks into the hospital and kidnaps him, then drives him to a Cleveland hospital, in the middle of the night, in the back of a Mayflower truck?

DaneMcCloud
09-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Is it mean of me to hope that someone sneaks into the hospital and kidnaps him, then drives him to a Cleveland hospital, in the middle of the night, in the back of a Mayflower truck?

It only took Cleveland about 3 years to decided to build an NFL stadium after he left, so it was clearly, all his fault.

:facepalm:

Furthermore, Dumbass, you're referring to the Colts, not the Browns.

RealSNR
09-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Why is he going to Johns Hopkins? He should move himself to a cheaper hospital so he can make more money. Yeah, he'll be letting down all of his organs, but who cares. It's money.

listopencil
09-06-2012, 01:34 AM
It only took Cleveland about 3 years to decided to build an NFL stadium after he left, so it was clearly, all his fault.

:facepalm:

Furthermore, Dumbass, you're referring to the Colts, not the Browns.

I don't really care about the stadium in Cleveland. And I was a evoking an image, you arrogant prick.

DaneMcCloud
09-06-2012, 01:39 AM
I don't really care about the stadium in Cleveland. And I was a evoking an image, you arrogant prick.

I'm sorry you feel that I'm arrogant but I suppose that anyone with an IQ higher than a cat turd applies.

Al Bundy
09-06-2012, 06:17 AM
There's the Dane I missed... welcome home Dane.

Amnorix
09-06-2012, 06:42 AM
It's not everybody who could fire both Paul Brown and Bill Belichick (who I think inarguably constitute 2 of the top 5 NFL coaches all-time) and announce that he will be moving a team out of its home city during the middle of the season.