PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Directv customers: found a secret y'all should try

Johnny Vegas
09-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Not sure how I missed this over the years but if you go to your menu then go to search and type in 30skip then move the curser to the keyword 30skip hit select then select again then hit the done option. This will make the 30 second skip button not stack anymore and you can skip 30 seconds instantly instead of waiting for it to complete.

tooge
09-06-2012, 10:54 AM
No shit? Awesome. I'm gonna do that immediately. I have no idea what you are talking about tho.

lcarus
09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about

saphojunkie
09-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't have directv, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

Rain Man
09-06-2012, 10:58 AM
This sounds great. I'm going to try it as soon as I get home, and I don't even have Directv.

Johnny Vegas
09-06-2012, 10:58 AM
That button next to the stop button with the arrow and vertical line. It skips forward 30 seconds for ya. I use this for commercials I just guess 5 commercials and hit the button 5 times.

lcarus
09-06-2012, 10:59 AM
That button next to the stop button with the arrow and vertical line. It skips forward 30 seconds for ya. I use this for commercials I just guess 5 commercials and hit the button 5 times.

Oh ok I see what you're saying. I'll give it a try later.

HemiEd
09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Will that work on my Harmony remote?

Johnny Vegas
09-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Oh ok I see what you're saying. I'll give it a try later.

I had no idea about this. I got a buddy that's a installer and he pointed this out a couple days ago and I just got around to now. It definitely works.

Johnny Vegas
09-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Will that work on my Harmony remote?

It should because you program the receiver with this option. As long as you have that button on your remote I don't see how it wouldn't.

sedated
09-06-2012, 11:31 AM
You know what they need to come up with next? A button that lowers the volume by 5 or 10 “units” (or whatever). The sound always seems very low on shows and very loud on commercials, and the standard volume button only goes one at a time until you hold it for a few seconds. Annoying.

notorious
09-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Can you get the fucking thing to stop when I hit play instead of going 15 -50 seconds into the past or future?

DaFace
09-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Can you get the fucking thing to stop when I hit play instead of going 15 -50 seconds into the past or future?

I love that feature, actually. I'd be pretty disappointed if they removed that.

Johnny Vegas
09-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Can you get the ****ing thing to stop when I hit play instead of going 15 -50 seconds into the past or future?

Don't think so because it's instant. Just gonna have to hit the rewind button if you went too far.

Frosty
09-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Can you get the ****ing thing to stop when I hit play instead of going 15 -50 seconds into the past or future?

I'm still using an old DirecTivo unit that will automatically back it up a little when you hit play. I almost always hit the start of the show after ff through commercials.

Do the new units not do that? My sister-in-law's cable DVR doesn't and it is really annoying to use.

notorious
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM

We had "TiVo" when it first came out and it stopped on a dime. It is much better that way IMO. I hate the fact that DVR is completely random where it stops.

Fast forward was just as fast, but a LOT smoother, too.

Fish
09-06-2012, 11:44 AM

That's an intended feature. It's that way so you don't need lightning reflexes to push play exactly when the show resumes.

kepp
09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Ohhhhhh....I'm gonna try that.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
You know what they need to come up with next? A button that lowers the volume by 5 or 10 “units” (or whatever). The sound always seems very low on shows and very loud on commercials, and the standard volume button only goes one at a time until you hold it for a few seconds. Annoying.

I think they are passing a law to stop that shit.

notorious
09-06-2012, 11:50 AM
That's an intended feature. It's that way so you don't need lightning reflexes to push play exactly when the show resumes.

The random part?

If there is a way to shut it off, please let me know.

Mojo Rising
09-06-2012, 11:53 AM
The older models had the 30 second skip where it jumps ahead 30 seconds. In the past couple years they implemented 30 second slip where it would advance 30 seconds in a high speed fast forward. It must have been some agreement with the content providers. Because of this I have not upgraded my reciever. I will try this on my buddies newer reciever.

Fish
09-06-2012, 11:54 AM
The random part?

If there is a way to shut it off, please let me know.

I don't believe that it's random.

NJChiefsFan
09-06-2012, 11:57 AM

Yeah I like it as well. It going back a few seconds usually puts it on the spot you wanted to stop.

notorious
09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't believe that it's random.

I must be just both of my DVRs that are shitty, along with everyone else that I know that has a Directv dvr out here.

I have gotten used to it's shittiness, but when I get to use a Cox or Dish setup it reminds me of how nice a good DVR is supposed to fast forward and stop.

DaFace
09-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah I like it as well. It going back a few seconds usually puts it on the spot you wanted to stop.

Yep. It's timed based on the fast-forwarding speed, so at 2x it backups a second or two, at 3x it backs up 5-10 seconds, and at 4x it backs up 30-45 seconds. I usually just let myself hit play naturally when I see whatever it is I want to see, and it jumps back to about the right spot.

DaFace
09-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I must be just both of my DVRs that are shitty, along with everyone else that I know that has a Directv dvr out here.

I have gotten used to it's shittiness, but when I get to use a Cox or Dish setup it reminds me of how nice a good DVR is supposed to fast forward and stop.

It'd require an additional button press, but you could try using pause, then play I guess. There's no FF correction on pause from what I can tell.

Bump
09-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm gonna try this, then I'm gonna call them to get my damn price down. They trapped me yo, started out paying $45 a month for everything, free NFL Sunday Ticket too. Now for the same package, I'm paying $115. This is horseshit, they probably know I won't really cancel with football season coming up tho...

notorious
09-06-2012, 12:07 PM
It's require an additional button press, but you could try using pause, then play I guess. There's no FF correction on pause from what I can tell.

Don't mind me guys, it must be my time of the month.

I can't bash Cassel quite yet since he hasn't played.

I can't bash Haley anymore.

Bowe hasn't dropped a pass this year.

McCluster has yet to do multiple spins moves for a 2 yard gain.

DaFace
09-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm gonna try this, then I'm gonna call them to get my damn price down. They trapped me yo, started out paying $45 a month for everything, free NFL Sunday Ticket too. Now for the same package, I'm paying $115. This is horseshit, they probably know I won't really cancel with football season coming up tho...

Sunday Ticket is normally $300, so that probably accounts for $50 of the $70 increase (6x$50 is normal I think). Not surprised there.

That said, you can get them to reduce the NFLST price pretty easily if you call up and ask to cancel. I'm paying $150 this year, and others have gotten them to go even lower.

HemiEd
09-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Back in the day, when everything was broadcast, they had a law against them increasing the volume on commercials. There must have been a loop hole created when things changed.

-King-
09-06-2012, 12:22 PM

That's a Tv setting not a directv setting. My Tv will go in increments of 5 if you're holding down the button.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kyle DeLexus
09-06-2012, 12:36 PM

maybe you should read contracts instead of just signing them and saying you got trapped.

jd1020
09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I dont even use those buttons. I just use FF and RW. Only time I use the 30 second rewind/forward buttons is after I'm already FF/RW and it skips to the 15 minute marks.

Bump
09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
maybe you should read contracts instead of just signing them and saying you got trapped.

I'm not a lawyer

Bump
09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Sunday Ticket is normally $300, so that probably accounts for $50 of the $70 increase (6x$50 is normal I think). Not surprised there.

That said, you can get them to reduce the NFLST price pretty easily if you call up and ask to cancel. I'm paying $150 this year, and others have gotten them to go even lower.

ya I will try that, thanks

-King-
09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Not sure how I missed this over the years but if you go to your menu then go to search and type in 30skip then move the curser to the keyword 30skip hit select then select again then hit the done option. This will make the 30 second skip button not stack anymore and you can skip 30 seconds instantly instead of waiting for it to complete.

Just did it. Much better. I always hated the old way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnny Vegas
09-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Just did it. Much better. I always hated the old way.
Posted via Mobile Device

good shit! I find it way better than before, too.

aturnis
09-06-2012, 10:14 PM
The default function of the skip button has always annoyed the hell out of me. Thank you so much!

kepp
09-07-2012, 06:43 AM
The older models had the 30 second skip where it jumps ahead 30 seconds. In the past couple years they implemented 30 second slip where it would advance 30 seconds in a high speed fast forward. It must have been some agreement with the content providers. Because of this I have not upgraded my reciever. I will try this on my buddies newer reciever.

I have a newer DVR and couldn't get it to work. When you choose "search" from the menu, there are five search options (Title, Keyword, etc). I tried searching all of them and nothing turned up.

Johnny Vegas
09-07-2012, 06:53 AM
I have a newer DVR and couldn't get it to work. When you choose "search" from the menu, there are five search options (Title, Keyword, etc). I tried searching all of them and nothing turned up.

Hit menu, go to smart search. Then type in 30SKIP, choose the keyword option next to "30SKIP" hit select. Then hit select on All, then hit select on done. Exit out.

kepp
09-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Hit menu, go to smart search. Then type in 30SKIP, choose the keyword option next to "30SKIP" hit select. Then hit select on All, then hit select on done. Exit out.

Cool...I'll try that tonight.

Dayze
09-07-2012, 08:16 AM
I tried this, and it emptied my bank account.

Great Expectations
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM

This

JoeyChuckles
09-07-2012, 09:08 PM
This thread sounds like a bunch of white people problems.

Johnny Vegas
09-07-2012, 09:12 PM
This

I don't think because of a new receiver it'll prevent you from doing this. My buddy, the directv installer, has the brand new Terabyte DVR and he did it on his.

L.A. Chieffan
09-07-2012, 09:17 PM

I have a sound bar that has a feature that keeps the volume at a steady level always so the commercials dont bump up all crazy. The only down side is it does it for like action movies and explosions and stuff. So I only use it if Im watching real time TV with a lot of annoying commercials

Imon Yourside
09-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Is there a trick to getting Metrosports on DTV?

Simplicity
09-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Stupid people are stupid.