PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Mens US Open Championship

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Anyone watching this today? First set went almost an hour and a half. Windy which makes it more about strategy then power. Murray wins the first

vailpass
09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Golf?

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Golf?

No a real sport, tennis

vailpass
09-10-2012, 03:44 PM
No a real sport, tennis

Is it a repeat from the 70s when they still played pro tennis?

Scorp
09-10-2012, 03:45 PM
I bet Matt Casshole is really good at tennis!

acesn8s
No a real sport, tennisTwo men beating each others balls?:eek:

L.A. Chieffan
they still play tennis?

stonedstooge
Is it a repeat from the 70s when they still played pro tennis?

Borg and McEnroe days? Rackets changed the game since then

vailpass
09-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Borg and McEnroe days? Rackets changed the game since then

I was a little kid then, used to sit with my dad and watch them go at it. Lendl and Connors too. Good stuff. Then I got old enough to play team sports and that was that.

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I was a little kid then, used to sit with my dad and watch them go at it. Lendl and Connors too. Good stuff. Then I got old enough to play team sports and that was that.

I quit the team sports and played tennis in my younger days. Always liked the fact that I had noone to blame but myself if I lost.

vailpass
09-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I quit the team sports and played tennis in my younger days. Always liked the fact that I had noone to blame but myself if I lost.

I can understand that.
I played tennis for fun at the little country club where I grew up until I was 10 or so. Now I'm showing my kids the basics; damn it's a LOT more of a cardio workout now than it was 35 years ago.

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
I can understand that.
I played tennis for fun at the little country club where I grew up until I was 10 or so. Now I'm showing my kids the basics; damn it's a LOT more of a cardio workout now than it was 35 years ago.

I wish I was in that shape again. Damn legs were as hard as a rock when they got pumped up. It's a wonderful way to get in shape. Concentrating on hitting the shots makes the mind forget about putting the legs to work

vailpass
09-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I wish I was in that shape again. Damn legs were as hard as a rock when they got pumped up. It's a wonderful way to get in shape. Concentrating on hitting the shots makes the mind forget about putting the legs to work

You played more than I did, I was just a casual player .

I've just recently started again as something to do while at my boy's practice.
I hit the ball around with my youngest boy while his brother has football practice at a local park. It's a nice way to end the day.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Is Sampras or Agassi playing?

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Is Sampras or Agassi playing?

Both. And the Chiefs expect Montana to start next week. Djokovic vs. Murray. US best chance in tennis, Rodrick retired after his loss last week. Too bad the United States can't field mens tennis stars anymore.

Shag
09-10-2012, 04:25 PM
No a real sport, tennis

Lol @ a tennis guy talking trash on golf. I love both myself, but wouldn't call tennis more of a sport than golf...

Deberg_1990
09-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Too bad the United States can't field mens tennis stars anymore.

I wonder why that is? Serious question.

Maybe all the top athletes are choosing other sports now?

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Lol @ a tennis guy talking trash on golf. I love both myself, but wouldn't call tennis more of a sport than golf...

Tennis is more physical. Golf more mental. I loved playing both of them though

kstater
09-10-2012, 04:31 PM
What channel?

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 04:31 PM

It seems like everyone was playing tennis in the 70's and part of the 80's. I'm not sure why it fizzled out like it has. I'm not sure the women's side, aside from the Williams sisters is still very strong either. I guess maybe just a changing of the times.

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Djokovich down 4-0 comes back to make it 5-6 and then loses serve to lose the set. Damn

09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
uh oh. signs of life

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Murray's got to play to win and not play not to lose

Shag
09-10-2012, 05:03 PM

There's no glamor in tennis in the US.

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 05:05 PM
There's no glamor in tennis in the US.

You're right on that. Tennis needs a new phenom. The Williams sisters have worn off and there isn't anyone on the men's side that can challenge yet

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Djokovic comes back to win set 3 6-2

kstater
09-10-2012, 06:03 PM
This is turning into a hell of a set.

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 06:10 PM
This is turning into a hell of a set.

Murray keeps him at the baseline, he does ok. When he starts shortarming his shots and leaving them in the serve courts, he gets killed

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 06:14 PM
heading to a 5th set. Djokovic looking strong

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Murray breaks serve twice to take a 3-0 lead in the 5th set. He got killed in the two previous sets and now has come back to life

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Murray breaks again. He's just spanking the shit out of the ball this set. Serving for the match up 5-2

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 07:06 PM
5 hours of a grueling match and Andy Murray wins it. 7-6, 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2

Pants
09-10-2012, 08:03 PM
'bout time that kid got his first Grand Slam.

It has always been mental issues with him, he obviously has the talent.

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 08:12 PM
'bout time that kid got his first Grand Slam.

It has always been mental issues with him, he obviously has the talent.

He really came back and spanked Djokovic in the 5th. Pretty amazing since he got hammered in sets 3 and 4.

NJChiefsFan
09-10-2012, 08:49 PM
He really came back and spanked Djokovic in the 5th. Pretty amazing since he got hammered in sets 3 and 4.

What an awesome match. That 54 hit point was insane.

Murray finally got his head on straight. He gets so down on himself out there its actually hard to support him. That being said I am happy for him and I usually root against Djokovic anyway, even though over the years he has matured as well. Too bad my boy Fed couldn't get by Byrdych. Dissapointing first week, great second week for the Open this year.

stonedstooge
09-10-2012, 08:53 PM
What an awesome match. That 54 hit point was insane.

Murray finally got his head on straight. He gets so down on himself out there its actually hard to support him. That being said I am happy for him and I usually root against Djokovic anyway, even though over the years he has matured as well. Too bad my boy Fed couldn't get by Byrdych. Dissapointing first week, great second week for the Open this year.

I really thought Federer was done after last year. He may be the most amazing tennis player I've seen over the years. Borg may be comparable, but he retired at such a young age.

NJChiefsFan
09-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I really thought Federer was done after last year. He may be the most amazing tennis player I've seen over the years. Borg may be comparable, but he retired at such a young age.

I started getting into tennis around 2001, so I can't really compare him to anyone besides the current people except maybe Agassi and late aged Pete.

I am usually a big underdog guy, but I love Federer. Especially since he has gotten to the point where Nadal and Novak are supposed to beat him.

DBOSHO
09-10-2012, 10:14 PM
As much as i hate murray, and i do HATE him, for his constant whining on the courts and his "come on"s when the opposing player makes unforced errors, im happy for him.

He wojt have a djokovic breakthrough and start winning gramdslams or become an all time great, but hes always been talented enough to get at least one.

I cant wait for nadals return

NJChiefsFan
09-10-2012, 10:47 PM
As much as i hate murray, and i do HATE him, for his constant whining on the courts and his "come on"s when the opposing player makes unforced errors, im happy for him.

He wojt have a djokovic breakthrough and start winning gramdslams or become an all time great, but hes always been talented enough to get at least one.

I cant wait for nadals return

The "come on" every 2 seconds is annoying and I hate when players complain. Whether it be about a call, fan movement, or whatever. The only thing I side with them on is when people call out during the middle of their serve.

He does have 5 finals and an Olympic gold. Im not so sure he is going to stop at 1. He has a great return game. Who knows with Nadal's knee. He goes so hard, which is honorable, but Nadal is certainly not going to have a Federer tennis lifespan.

For the sake of U.S. tennis, until the teens are ready, Isner better grow up and toughen up. He complains as much as Murray but just feels bad for himself. No adjustments in his game ever.