PDA

View Full Version : Football Broncos sign C - Dan Koppen

pr_capone
09-11-2012, 10:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-sign-center-dan-koppen-214841397--nfl.html

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Former Pro Bowl center Dan Koppen, who spent nine season snapping the ball to Tom Brady in New England, will now have the chance to work with Peyton Manning.

Koppen signed with the Denver Broncos on Tuesday, two weeks after his release from the New England Patriots, where he played from 2003-11.

Koppen, who turns 33 on Wednesday, adds experience and depth to the interior line and might push starting center J.D. Walton for playing time.

Manning was sacked twice in his Denver debut, once when it appeared the wrong line call shifted everyone to the right and led to left tackle Ryan Clady having no one to block. Running back Knowshon Moreno was left to block two men, and Pittsburgh linebacker Jason Worilds dropped Manning for an 8-yard loss.

The offensive linemen weren't in the locker room during the media access period Tuesday.

The Broncos also waived backup center C.J. Davis and re-signed backup quarterback Caleb Hanie, who was released in a procedural move Saturday to provide the Broncos with some financial flexibility. His $1 million base salary is no longer guaranteed.

As expected, the Broncos also placed defensive tackle Ty Warren on injured reserve after he re-tore his right triceps in the opener, his first game since 2009.

''It affects us a lot, actually,'' said second-year defensive tackle Mitch Unrein, who played a career-high 40 snaps after Warren got hurt. ''He's a great leader. but as Coach (John) Fox always says, next guy up, so that kind of opens the door for guys like me.''

Warren, 31, re-injured himself early in the Broncos' 31-19 win over the Steelers. He missed all last season after tearing the same muscle during training camp, and he missed the 2010 season, his last in New England, with a hip injury.

Warren's return lasted two plays into the second quarter when he came up injured after shaking off a blocker and trying to tackle running back Jonathan Dwyer.

''That's a pretty sad reminder of how brutal this game can be and how quickly it can all be over,'' Unrein said. ''This injury thing is tough, especially for how great he's played in the NFL for so many years and to go out that way, that's kind of a bummer.''

Warren was the 13th overall pick by the Patriots in 2003 and he helped New England win two Super Bowls before signing a two-year deal in Denver in 2011. Although he restructured his contract over the summer, Warren will end up collecting more than $5 million for his five snaps with the Broncos.

crazycoffey
09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
To the ship!!!!

JD10367
09-11-2012, 11:43 PM
The Patsification of Denver continues. But, wait, we gave them McDaniels, who gave him back... And Lloyd was a Bronco... so maybe it's the Broncification of New England, I dunno...

Anyway... The Pats' O-line looked like crap all preseason, and Waters apparently isn't coming back. So, on the one hand, I don't understand why they let Koppen go. On the other hand, it leads me to think that if he had anything left in the tank they wouldn't have.

pimpchief
09-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Um, did we even bring him in for a look? Seems like he'd be a great fit. Good depth behind an inexperienced guy.

pr_capone
09-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Um, did we even bring him in for a look? Seems like he'd be a great fit. Good depth behind an inexperienced guy.

can't afford him. vet minimum is damn near 1m these days. you know what Clark can do with 1m dollars?!?! he can fill a room with a bunch of gold doubloons and dive into that shit like Scrooge McDuck.

pimpchief
09-12-2012, 01:24 AM
can't afford him. vet minimum is damn near 1m these days. you know what Clark can do with 1m dollars?!?! he can fill a room with a bunch of gold doubloons and dive into that shit like Scrooge McDuck.

That would make for a badass Photoshop.

A Salt Weapon
09-12-2012, 01:30 AM
It would, with a "Thanks to all the loyal Chiefs fans." underneath the picture.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cornstock
09-12-2012, 02:02 AM

Dude, when I was little the DuckTales movies were amazing. I hadn't even thought about it for years...

http://blog.twowholecakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/scrooge-mcduck.jpg

CoMoChief
09-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Dude, when I was little the DuckTales movies were amazing. I hadn't even thought about it for years...

http://blog.twowholecakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/scrooge-mcduck.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMyk7MXsseg

Quesadilla Joe
09-12-2012, 04:18 AM
Nobody knows NE's protections better than Koppen. Very smart signing by Elway.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Nobody knows NE's protections better than Koppen. Very smart signing by Elway.

Then the midgets...

Black Bob
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
The Donk's interior line is terrible. In truth, it's why Orton didn't make it and Tebow started over Quinn imo. It's because he could scramble. Their tackles are alright but, they're interior gets owned when pass blocking. KC should be very good at blitzing up the middle against Denver this year without Tebow.

The signing of Koppen is a desperate move imo. They couldn't get Saturday last spring and they had to target DTs in the draft because they were the priority.

Elway NEEDED Manning to make this work. I'm sure he wanted Manning but, without him they would have had to stick with Tebow with the guards and center they had. Manning's timing offense and quick release will help make up their interior line weakness. They would suck if they didn't have manning.

Check out how these losers graded out in the top #32 at their position at the end of last year.

Zane Beadles ranked #31 LG http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1075548-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-guards#/articles/1075548-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-guards/page/3

Chris Cooper ranked #26 RG http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1071349-br-nfl-1000-top-32-right-guards#/articles/1071349-br-nfl-1000-top-32-right-guards/page/8

J.D. Walton ranked #29 C http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1052850-br-nfl-1000-top-32-centers#/articles/1052850-br-nfl-1000-top-32-centers/page/5

(I know it's Bleacher Report but, it is a reasonable gauge in this instance. They are alright in these rankings imo.)

Sorter
09-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Are you seriously quoting Bleacher Report as a credible source?

Black Bob
09-12-2012, 12:55 PM

No, it's pretty easy to see they suck. I also explained about the source. Someone who has a pff subscription let us know where they rank. It will be similar.

That's a pretty stupid comment there mouth fingerer.

listopencil
09-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Bleacher Report is a piece of shit website, but they are correct that the interior of our O-Line is weak. When the Broncos brought Harris in I thought maybe they'd put him in at RT and move Franklin inside to help out. That didn't happen, and I don't care for a "work in progress" Offensive Line, but it is what it is. Peyton Manning absolutely does help with this. The thing is, if Manning can read the blitz he's going to burn D's for trying to take advantage of it.

Quesadilla Joe
09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Denver's OL all graded out positively against Pittsburgh. And early on in the game Pitt tried blitzing the A gap quite a few times and they didn't get anything done.

listopencil
09-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Denver's OL all graded out positively against Pittsburgh. And early on in the game Pitt tried blitzing the A gap quite a few times and they didn't get anything done.

They've been working on it. Our interior is young so it's certainly possible that they will improve. It's a work in progress.

listopencil
09-12-2012, 01:01 PM
This is, by the way, one of the reasons I am so down on Moreno. We can't afford to keep a third down back that can't pass protect.

Quesadilla Joe
09-12-2012, 01:12 PM
This is, by the way, one of the reasons I am so down on Moreno. We can't afford to keep a third down back that can't pass protect.

Moreno was coming back from a torn ACL and didn't have too many reps with the 1's in camp. He is a more than willing blocker, and is a tough SOB. He just is behind mentally right now.

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Moreno was coming back from a torn ACL and didn't have too many reps with the 1's in camp. He is a more than willing blocker, and is a tough SOB. He just is behind mentally right now.

:LOL:

Black Bob
09-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Bleacher Report is a piece of shit website, but they are correct that the interior of our O-Line is weak. When the Broncos brought Harris in I thought maybe they'd put him in at RT and move Franklin inside to help out. That didn't happen, and I don't care for a "work in progress" Offensive Line, but it is what it is. Peyton Manning absolutely does help with this. The thing is, if Manning can read the blitz he's going to burn D's for trying to take advantage of it.

Thanks for the input.

That's why I said ...

"(I know it's Bleacher Report but, it is a reasonable gauge in this instance. They are alright in these rankings imo.) "

As for Pittsburgh, their interior front isn't what it used to be. Hampton is old, Farrior is gone, and it's just noth same. Atlanta isn't good in this area either as they have a back MLB and schotty DTs. Jerry is playing a little better but he's not that good.

Signing Koppen now is smart. He will have some time to learn the offense before you start facing teams with a good inside rush.

listopencil
09-12-2012, 01:30 PM

In his first game of the season he looked exactly like he has for his entire career with the Denver Broncos. The same indecision in the backfield, the same mediocre blocking skills, the same lack of vision. He's being kept because he's shown an ability to catch the ball in the past. That's a big part of being a competent third down back. So is pass pro. If he can't do it they need to get rid of him.

listopencil
09-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the input.

That's why I said ...

"(I know it's Bleacher Report but, it is a reasonable gauge in this instance. They are alright in these rankings imo.) "

As for Pittsburgh, their interior front isn't what it used to be. Hampton is old, Farrior is gone, and it's just noth same. Atlanta isn't good in this area either as they have a back MLB and schotty DTs. Jerry is playing a little better but he's not that good.

Signing Koppen now is smart. He will have some time to learn the offense before you start facing teams with a good inside rush.

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking. Can't hurt to throw a vet into a group of struggling players, we'll see how much he's got left.

rtmike
09-12-2012, 01:41 PM
good signing...

ct
09-12-2012, 02:07 PM
that is a very good signing

good thing we're savin our bankroll for cassel's new contract...

FlaChief58
09-12-2012, 02:22 PM
At least Warren gets a nice 5 million dollar parting gift. Sucks to go out that way though

Sorter
09-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the input.

That's why I said ...

In all honesty, I did completely miss that part. My apologies. I've had to see too many stupid fucking Bleacher Report articles posted about MMA on my other board. Posting them there is now bannable IIR. Lol.

No apologies for the other thread though. :thumb:

Mile High Mania
09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm just not a Moreno fan ... use him as a change of pace for McGahee, but nothing more. Moreno should have some good moments, but I don't care to see him as an integral piece of the plan.

Regarding the OL, they do have some work to do to improve... hopefully, guys like Koppen can help shorten the learning curve for the young guys. In the PIT game, Manning had some nice protection ... helps greatly that he is very cerebral and can see things early and adjust. The WRs/RBs/TEs need to be steady with their blocking assignments and picking up the blitz.

Amnorix
09-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Koppen looked to be completely done early in training camp but then got somewhat better as things went along. Ultimately, Wendell and Connolly did better than him, and he has no position flexibility whatsoever. He's a Center and only a Center. As a third string center with no position flexibility, there was no room on the roster for him, unfortunately.

I think at this point he's a slightly below average center who is trending downward, not upward. If you have serious problems at that position, he can probably help out, but don't think for a second he's going to represent any kind of significant upgrade or anything unless your current center is truly bad.

Quesadilla Joe
09-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Koppen is strictly a depth signing. Our backup center was so bad, he cleared waivers and is now on our practice squad.

vailpass
09-12-2012, 04:26 PM
At least Warren gets a nice 5 million dollar parting gift. Sucks to go out that way though

$1 million per play. Gat damn.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Dwarf took dump

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2012, 07:09 PM

Then the fryman

SAUTO
09-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Then the fryman

Shit in knowing's
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2012, 07:18 PM
lunchbox tainting his

SAUTO
09-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Peanut butter and
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
uncle semen sammich

SAUTO
09-12-2012, 07:24 PM
He put it
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2012, 07:25 PM
in his butt

SAUTO
09-12-2012, 07:26 PM
And loved it
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Then the goobacks

SAUTO
09-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Midget ran naked
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2012, 09:43 PM
his manhood at

Tombstone RJ
09-12-2012, 10:29 PM
The Donk's interior line is terrible. In truth, it's why Orton didn't make it and Tebow started over Quinn imo. It's because he could scramble. Their tackles are alright but, they're interior gets owned when pass blocking. KC should be very good at blitzing up the middle against Denver this year without Tebow.

The signing of Koppen is a desperate move imo. They couldn't get Saturday last spring and they had to target DTs in the draft because they were the priority.

Elway NEEDED Manning to make this work. I'm sure he wanted Manning but, without him they would have had to stick with Tebow with the guards and center they had. Manning's timing offense and quick release will help make up their interior line weakness. They would suck if they didn't have manning.

Check out how these losers graded out in the top #32 at their position at the end of last year.

Zane Beadles ranked #31 LG http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1075548-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-guards#/articles/1075548-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-guards/page/3

Chris Cooper ranked #26 RG http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1071349-br-nfl-1000-top-32-right-guards#/articles/1071349-br-nfl-1000-top-32-right-guards/page/8

J.D. Walton ranked #29 C http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1052850-br-nfl-1000-top-32-centers#/articles/1052850-br-nfl-1000-top-32-centers/page/5

(I know it's Bleacher Report but, it is a reasonable gauge in this instance. They are alright in these rankings imo.)

when you use bleachrepo to support your position, you've just lost. Keep sucking that red and yellow popsicle homey.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Then the midgets.

Brokeback broncod smellway

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Boy, that Sanchez sure looked sucky this week!

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Thank GOD for Matt Cassel!

A Salt Weapon
09-13-2012, 01:35 PM
on my other board.
What board is that?
Another Chiefs place?

Pasta Little Brioni
09-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Boy, that Sanchez sure looked sucky this week!

Give him time. Marky Baywatch will be shitting the field soon enough.

vailpass
09-13-2012, 04:45 PM

LMAO that's pretty good

Sorter
09-13-2012, 05:06 PM
What board is that?
Another Chiefs place?

Nope, its two different MMA boards I frequent.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Nope. This is the breakout year with Teblow breathing down his neck.