PDA

View Full Version : Football Coughlin and Schiano exchange words at the end of game

Deberg_1990
09-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Apparantly Bucs players got a little too agressive when Mannning "kneeled down" at the end of the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/tom-coughlin-greg-schiano-harsh-words-giants-beat-220922704--nfl.html

It was a good day for New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, at least for the most part. Quarterback Eli Manning threw for 510 yards, second-most in team history (Phil Simms holds the franchise record with 513 yards in one game), and the G-Men bounced back from their opening-week loss to the Dallas Cowboys despite Eli's three first-half interceptions with a 41-34 victory.

The Bucs kept it close, but when quarterback Josh Freeman threw an interception to linebacker Michael Boley as time was running down, Manning was able to take a knee and run out the clock.

Or, that's how things were supposed to go. As Manning took that knee from his own 29-yard line with five seconds left, the Bucs and Giants got into it in an altercation that Coughlin said could have caused injuries when it's generally accepted that teams adopt a "hands-off" policy.

"Obviously I think it's a little bit of a cheap shot," Manning said. "We're taking a knee, we're in a friendly way, and they're firing off, and that's a way to get someone hurt."

After the game, when the traditional coaches' handshake took place, Coughlin let Tampa Bay head coach Greg Schiano know exactly what he thought of the play.

Coughlin started out with a couple of choice words, then came back to give Schiano, who's in his first season as an NFL coach after a successful tenure at Rutgers, a brief education in League Etiquette 101.

"I don't think you do that," Coughlin told the media after the game, per Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. "You don't do that in this league. Not only that, you jeopardize the offensive line, you jeopardize the quarterback. Thank goodness we didn't get anybody hurt — that I know of. A couple of linemen were late getting in."

Coughlin said that his players told him that the idea to scrum came from Schiano, but "I don't know. I don't know that. You'd have to ask them."

Schiano was unmoved. "I don't know if that's not something that's done in the National Football League,'' he said. "What I do with our football team is that we fight until they tell us, 'game over.' And there's nothing dirty about it, there's nothing illegal about it. We crowd the ball like a sneak defense and try to knock it loose.

"If people watched Rutgers, they would know that's what we do at the end of a game. We're not going to quit, that's just the way I coach and teach our players. If some people are upset about it, that's just the way it goes. I don't have any hesitation. That's the way we play. We play clean, hard football until they tell us the game is over.'"

Most likely, that's what Coughlin was telling Schiano: You're not coaching at Rutgers anymore.

If nothing else, this episode gave us a reminder that Week 2's Sunday Night Football game features the San Francisco 49ers and the Detroit Lions, and another possible opportunity for a postgame fracas between coaches.

Ace Gunner
09-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Ya, that was garbage.

BryanBusby
09-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Not shocking, Schiano is a joke that only got the job because a bunch of other candidates laughed at the Glazers.

the Talking Can
09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
you're not in high school anymore coach

ChiefRocka
09-16-2012, 06:58 PM
I know that its popular around the league to honor the victory formation but what happens if Eli bobbles the snap ala Rivers and they don't recover because of the fact.

the Talking Can
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
I know that its popular around the league to honor the victory formation but what happens if Elite bobbles the snap ala Rivers and they don't recover because of the fact.

what happens if a flock of nude women land on roof of a church?

ChiefRocka
09-16-2012, 07:02 PM
what happens if a flock of nude women land on roof of a church?

You don't bury survivors.

chiefzilla1501
09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I know that its popular around the league to honor the victory formation but what happens if Eli bobbles the snap ala Rivers and they don't recover because of the fact.

That doesn't justify late hits. It's bush league.

SAUTO
09-16-2012, 07:08 PM
That doesn't justify late hits. It's bush league.

how would that be a late hit?
Posted via Mobile Device

BryanBusby
09-16-2012, 07:18 PM
The Giants didn't fuck up the snap and were in the process of completing the kneel down cleanly. The Bucs were being dumb as hell.

Dylan
09-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Courtesy of NY Press

“I don’t know if that’s not something that’s done in the National Football League,'' Schiano said. "What I do with our football team is that we fight until they tell us game over. And there’s nothing dirty about it, there’s nothing illegal about it. We crowd the ball like a sneak defense and try to knock it loose. There’s nothing…if people watched Rutgers, they would know that’s what we do at the end of a game. We’re not going to quit, that’s just the way I coach and teach our players. If some people are upset about it, that’s just the way it goes. I don’t have any hesitation. That’s the way we play. We play clean, hard football until they tell us the game is over.''

It's impossible to score on a kneel down - Maybe they were looking to break knees to get to the ball.

The game is over as soon as Eli takes a knee.

http://cjzero.com/gifs/EliVFormation.gif

Schiano is new to being professional.

Newsday
Tom Rock

Sean Locklear: "One of the guys said after the play (final play), “It’s a cheap shot, but coach told us to do it.”

"You could look on their faces, it was one of those things where they didn’t want to do it but you do what you’re told," Locklear said. about a minute ago

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1192843/coughlolin_medium.gif

Jenny Vrentas@JennyVrentas
N.J. Star Ledger
Players upset after they say Bucs line dove at Giants center, guards' knees. Locklear said one of Bucs said it was coach's orders. #nyg

Mike Garafoloþ@MikeGarafolo

Re: scrum on last play, Snee called Bucs' actions "Busch league." Said they were throwing "helmets into knees."

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo

Bucs' McCoy on last play: "We do what we're coached. I'll leave it at that."

Ralph Vacchianoþ@RVacchianoNYDN

Eli Manning agrees with Coughlin that he took "a little bit of a cheap shot" from the Bucs at the end of the game. #NYG

ESPN: Greg Schiano is just way out of line

Rutgers is, of course, where Schiano was coaching this time last year. And there are a few real problems with his rationale. First of all, you don't see teams doing that stuff at the college level, and it's for the same reason you don't see it at the NFL level. It's because it's a real good way to get people hurt for no good reason. If you're losing and out of timeouts and the other team has the ball with so little time left that they can kneel down and run out the clock, you've lost. It doesn't prove anything to your players or anyone else if you're the fake tough guy who refuses to accept that. All it does is put people at silly risk of injury at the end of 60 minutes' worth of brutal, health-threatening collisions. You owe it to your own players to know when you're beaten and back off. Asking them to make a useless leaping hit in that situation is putting them at risk the same way it's putting the other team at risk. It's irresponsible.

It also shows a lack of respect. It's sore-losership. You've been beaten, fair and square, in the part of the game in which both teams were competing honestly. To try and win it cheaply with a sneaky play after the opposing team (and any other opposing team you've ever faced or ever will face) justifiably believes it to have been decided is dishonest and dishonorable. Schiano's team played extremely hard on the road against the Super Bowl champs, but by the time Manning was taking a knee, they'd lost. The game was over. Schiano's postgame assertion that he didn't know that was naive and bush-league.

Ace Gunner
09-16-2012, 07:49 PM
ROFL I luv me some grumpy ol Tom:D
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1192843/coughlolin_medium.gif

GloryDayz
09-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Being a Chiefs fan, I'm not sure why anybody would care if their QB's legs were broken???

Signed,

Confused

Deberg_1990
09-16-2012, 07:57 PM
No mercy, sweep the leg....

FAX
09-16-2012, 08:05 PM
You know, at first I thought this was poor form on the part of the Bucs. Then I thought, "Wait just a dang minute, here. Just because the Giants stop playing doesn't mean the Bucs have to quit, too." What if Eli had fumbled and the Bucs recovered and scored a touchdown and won the game? What then?

Coughlin can sniff Rosie O'Donnell's seat cushion for all I care. This is football ... at least, it used to be.

FAX

Chiefnj2
09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
If Eli fumbles and the Bucs recover for a TD is it a genius move or still bad form?

ChiefRocka
09-16-2012, 08:10 PM
If Eli fumbles and the Bucs recover for a TD is it a genius move or still bad form?

Clock would have stopped on the turnover also.

FAX
09-16-2012, 08:10 PM

Well, in that case it would be both.

Like when Doc Holliday wore the badge while shooting Ringo that time.

FAX

Dylan
09-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I've never seen Coughlin go after another coach.

If nothing else, this third-rate college coach, will learn it's not done in the NFL. Teams won't put up with it.

Star Ledger
RT @jorgeccastillo: Tuck said what happened on the last play "won't be forgotten." #nyg

"That was a first," Manning said. "Obviously I think it is a little bit of a cheap shot. Going down, we are taking a knee, in a friendly way. They are firing off, and it's a way to get someone hurt."

The Franchise
09-16-2012, 08:39 PM
I've never found it friendly to take a knee. Teams take a knee because doing anything else might end in a turnover. It's not them feeling sorry for the other team and ending the game.

Dylan
09-16-2012, 08:42 PM

the Bucs were going to score with .05 seconds on the clock? Really...

Dayze
In fairness to tuck, people in new York don't forget anything

Dylan
Welcome back Fax!!!

GloryDayz
09-16-2012, 08:45 PM
the Bucs were going to score with .05 seconds on the clock? Really...

Maybe they did it just to get Tom's blood pressure up for the 3-millionth time this week.. Hey, that's cool, sure beats our fatass HC blubbering up and down the sidelines looking dazed!

Dylan
09-16-2012, 08:56 PM
LOL.

Giants, they were taking some cheap shots the entire game not just on the final play. Victor Cruz and others made several mentions of a "cheap shot" during their post-game interviews with reporters.

B_Ambuehl
09-17-2012, 03:40 AM
Can anyone read Coughlins lips and see what he was saying in that gif?