PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Dragon Age 3 Announced

Mr. Laz
09-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Dragon Age 3 Announced: Dragon Age 3: Inquisition Coming In "Late 2013"

http://cache.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/311553_S/dragon-age-3-announced-dragon-age-3-inquisition-coming-in-late-2013.jpg

Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, the third game in BioWare's Dragon Age franchise, will be released on late 2013. According to BioWare and EA, the game will combines "the storytelling legacy BioWare is known for" with "deep RPG gameplay." It will be built on a new RPG game engine "underpinned by EA’s critically-acclaimed Frostbite 2 technology."

“The Dragon Age team has been working on Dragon Age 3: Inquisition (http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/65293/dragon-age-3/) for almost two years now,” said Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal in a statement. “We’ve been poring over player feedback from past games and connecting directly with our fans. They haven’t held back, so we’re not either. With Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, we want to give fans what they’re asking for – a great story with choices that matter, a massive world to explore, deep customization and combat that is both tactical and visceral.”

I'd love to be able to tell you more -- show some pictures and maybe a video -- but there is no more to tell at the present. As soon as we get any more information, we'll let you know.

Until then, though, check out our review of the last Dragon Age game:

QuikSsurfer
09-17-2012, 11:14 AM
I don't care how bad the second game was.. The first title and its expansion were so good that I'll always support this franchise.
And please more male on male love scenes.... mmmm Zevran.

Kraus
09-17-2012, 11:43 AM
The first game was awesome - I still haven't played the second. From what I've heard I probably won't even touch it.

pr_capone
09-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I'll give it a shot.

Saulbadguy
09-17-2012, 12:35 PM
THANK THE MAKER!

Imon Yourside
09-17-2012, 12:43 PM
meh, boring franchise.

QuikSsurfer
09-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Enchantment!

Frazod
09-17-2012, 02:06 PM
The first game was awesome - I still haven't played the second. From what I've heard I probably won't even touch it.

I loved the second one. :shrug: And it's damn sure better than any of the new crap I've played this year.

keg in kc
08-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Game's the cover story in this month's Game Informer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4-mKtib9eYA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pants
08-08-2013, 06:14 PM
I didn't realize DA2 was considered a flop. I remember enjoying the game quite a bit.

I'll be playing DA3 for sure.

keg in kc
08-08-2013, 07:09 PM
I didn't realize DA2 was considered a flop. I remember enjoying the game quite a bit.

I'll be playing DA3 for sure.It was a flop in the same way that ME3 was a flop. There were some very vocal people (primarily on the game's forums) who hated it. Most people were fine with it.

I'm unsure about the direction. As I'm sure you've heard me say a million times on here, I don't like open world games. So the idea of removing some of the linear quest direction of the game is actually a major negative to me. But everything they've shown so far looks amazing. I'm sure I'll preorder it.

Saulbadguy
08-08-2013, 07:13 PM
I never finished DA2 and I was really excited for it. It got too repetitive and boring.

I'll definitely get DA3 though.

keg in kc
08-08-2013, 07:21 PM
There were some valid complaints about the game. The game was released very quickly, they did extensively reuse areas, there was a clear change in gameplay/combat, and a lot of people wondered why the Warden wasn't part of the game. Mainly what I was referring to were the people who called it (and then ME3) the worst BioWare games ever made, and a sign that EA had killed them.

hometeam
08-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I never finished DA2 and I was really excited for it. It got too repetitive and boring.

I'll definitely get DA3 though.

Same with me, I got pretty far, but gave up on it. I was extremely stoked for it, pre-ordered, but it couldn't keep me.

Javabean
08-09-2013, 07:17 AM
There were some valid complaints about the game. The game was released very quickly, they did extensively reuse areas, there was a clear change in gameplay/combat, and a lot of people wondered why the Warden wasn't part of the game. Mainly what I was referring to were the people who called it (and then ME3) the worst BioWare games ever made, and a sign that EA had killed them.

I enjoyed DAO2 because I thought it succeeded as a roleplaying game, but the gameplay and combat were so dumbed down from the first one that I can understand why so many people were upset with it. And being that it was their first major release after EA purchased them, it was not a good sign.

As for ME3, I honestly don't think there's any question that the last 10 minutes of that was the worst thing BioWare's ever released. The only question is whether it overshadowed the rest of the game, which ranged from above average to excellent.

EA's purchase may not have killed BioWare, but there has been a definite drop-off in quality. Before the purchase, they gave us Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR and the first Mass Effect. Since the purchase, they've given us one amazing game in ME2 and big pile of above average.

I still enjoy their games, but they're not the genre defining games they used to be.

Beef Supreme
08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
I didn't finish DA2 either. The main story was a big unmemorable pile of ass that suffered even further because of even worse side stories that completely destroyed any sense of pace.

The cut scenes were a good excuse to leave the room and take a piss.

keg in kc
08-20-2013, 09:31 AM
New behind the scenes vid from gamescom this morning:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sgzTlyw9w_E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

duncan_idaho
08-20-2013, 10:42 AM
I think the biggest fail in Dragon Age 2 was that it did not tie in enough to DAO.

Going with a different protagonist is fine, but they missed an opportunity to use some supporting characters to keep things going. All of the really interesting characters in DAO (The Hero, Morrigan, Alistair) just drop off the map.

Sounds like they are being aggressive with DA3. I just hope the "OPEN WORLD" concept doesn't make it incredibly difficult to get from one place to another (like in Skyrim).

MBSiMMENS
08-21-2013, 10:11 AM
I really loved the first game and the second was fine but should have been called something other then DA2

QuikSsurfer
08-21-2013, 11:53 AM
I really loved the first game and the second was fine but should have been called something other then DA2

Dragon Age: The Adventures of Shit Mountain?

Mav
08-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I own the first one, and started it, but I got spoiled by games like Sacred 2, Fable, Fable 2, And KOA.

I just couldn't get into it. I tried. Maybe I will try again.

keg in kc
08-21-2013, 12:09 PM
I played Sacred 2 and the first 2 Fables. None of them were half the game DA:O was.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2013, 12:09 PM
loved DAO and all the DLC but never finished DAO2 either

i think i just got bored because it seems like i had done it all before

Mav
08-21-2013, 12:10 PM
I played Sacred 2 and the first 2 Fables. None of them were half the game DA:O was.

well, I guess I know what I can play to get me by then.....

Did you ever play Kingdoms of Amalur?

keg in kc
08-21-2013, 12:14 PM
No, I never played KoA.

re: laz - DA2 is a very slow starting game, and once it gets going, you don't get to see anything but Kirkwall and the amazingly same-looking caves that surround the city. So it can be difficult to get into.

keg in kc
08-21-2013, 12:16 PM
(I also don't think most of the problems with DA2 will be issues in DA3 - the game's gotten plenty of development time)

duncan_idaho
08-21-2013, 12:23 PM

Fable is dogshit. I have never completed one of those games.

the Talking Can
08-21-2013, 12:39 PM
i'm replaying origins now after picking it up during steam's sale...still a blast, and i had never played the dlc

DA2 just felt 'less'....running around the same city and dungeons, it felt they just quit halfway through development

keg in kc
08-21-2013, 12:48 PM
DA2 just felt 'less'....running around the same city and dungeons, it felt they just quit halfway through developmentThey basically did. EA forced it out the door less than 2 years after release of the original (that was supposedly because they original had been in development for so long that they wanted to recoup some by shaving development time on the sequel). That's why I'm so glad they're giving them until fall next year to finish this one.

Mav
08-21-2013, 01:28 PM

I honestly didn't think it crap until I played KoA.

After playing that which has just an amazing combat system, and going back to trying to play Fable, no matter how much I enjoyed the story line, the graphics, and feel were just awful.

I love the story line from Fable, and Fable 2.

Frazod
08-21-2013, 01:41 PM

I liked the first two, but crapped out on the third one.

Pants
08-21-2013, 08:34 PM
I never got the love for KoA. That game was 100% MMO grindfest without the actual MMO part. It also looked like a slightly better version of WoW (read: not very good). The story was complete dogshit, character building must have been dogshit because I don't even remember making any choices after I leveled up. That game was like a 4.5 out of 10 for me.

DA:O was like an 8.8, IMO.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2013, 11:59 AM
I liked the first two, but crapped out on the third one.
Yep ... they changed the 3rd one big time

I played it through but didn't like it nearly as much

The power for each hand was a cool idea but the way it developed was annoying.

Frazod
08-22-2013, 12:36 PM
I never got the love for KoA. That game was 100% MMO grindfest without the actual MMO part. It also looked like a slightly better version of WoW (read: not very good). The story was complete dogshit, character building must have been dogshit because I don't even remember making any choices after I leveled up. That game was like a 4.5 out of 10 for me.

DA:O was like an 8.8, IMO.

Wow, I loved it. I thought the coolest thing about it was the character building, because if you started getting bored with your character you could unbind all your selections and reassign them to completely different skills. Much better than just starting a new game from nothing. The crafting was cool, too. I really enjoyed the way you could add different components to your items to specifically enhance them. I wish Skyrim was more like that.

I agree that the graphics could have been better (and see the WoW comparison) but it didn't bother me.

Frazod
08-22-2013, 12:37 PM

I didn't care for the big wrench they threw into the story line in the second game, and when something similar happened in the third one, I just quit playing. Very annoying.

Mav
08-22-2013, 12:50 PM

Yep.....I played the hell out of Fable 2. It was just awesome in my opinion.

3 was meh. very very meh.

keg in kc
08-22-2013, 01:12 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NqDIKwgmOms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
08-22-2013, 01:13 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ykw4f12Hgj4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
08-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Video that I'm not able to find on youtube that deals with the way they're designing the world. Basically they say they're doing it like Baldur's Gate, so they'll have huge area maps you can explore, but it won't be open world in the sense that Elder Scrolls games are. Which makes me relax a bit.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/08/21/exploring-the-world-of-dragon-age-inquisition.aspx

Pants
08-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Wow, I loved it. I thought the coolest thing about it was the character building, because if you started getting bored with your character you could unbind all your selections and reassign them to completely different skills. Much better than just starting a new game from nothing. The crafting was cool, too. I really enjoyed the way you could add different components to your items to specifically enhance them. I wish Skyrim was more like that.

I agree that the graphics could have been better (and see the WoW comparison) but it didn't bother me.

I honestly don't remember what the leveling system even entailed. Did it open up new skills/attacks?

/sorry for being so off-topic, keg

Frazod
08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
I honestly don't remember what the leveling system even entailed. Did it open up new skills/attacks?

/sorry for being so off-topic, keg

Standard two-set advancement, one side enhanced fighter/mage/rogue skills, the other set was general skills. But you could go to a fateweaver, and for a fee that got larger each time, reset everything. So if you're playing a straight rogue and get bored, you can reset and switch over to a fighter/mage, for example. You'd then need to re-outfit your character, since he wouldn't be able to use certain weapons/armor anymore. It was great - kept the game interesting much longer.

keg in kc
08-22-2013, 07:27 PM
/sorry for being so off-topic, kegDoesn't bother me. Just so happens that Inquisition is the cover story for Game Informer for September, and they've been putting up a new video every week. Probably won't see anything new for months after next week.

keg in kc
09-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Showing some really cool spell effects...

<div style="background-color:#<div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:gametrailers.com:e3bad800-00c9-448e-8d81-d2cf581a303b" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#</div>

keg in kc
09-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Part 3 is especially good...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IML4hhg8Yz0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g6rV1Y6Vcxg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bbGN7OBngCQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
04-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Totally missed this vid when it came out a month or so ago...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fzuR1Fn_b48?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ragged Robin
04-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Looks great but I'm more concerned about the writing. Everything after Origins was complete and utter crap. More excited for Witcher 3.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 07:40 AM
I'm excited for both. Inquisition looks really good, I don't think the writing is going to be a problem since they have openly admitted that they realize the writing was crap after Origins.

I'm not sure it will ever compare to the Witcher though. They've set such a high bar.

keg in kc
04-18-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm the rare guy who isn't a witcher fan and had no real issues with the da sequel. Thought the first witcher was overrated and lost interest in the second a couple of hours in on three or four different occasions. Thought I'd like it. Really wanted to like it. Didn't. Played da 2 for hundreds of hours. Didn't like the map repetition. Liked everything else. Think the combination of Dao and da2 elements could make for an amazing game if they pull it off.

:shrug:

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 09:00 AM
The Inquisition part of it is what interests me most.

An actual living, breathing war going on and the main character being a part of it sounds pretty awesome.

The novel AI concept in this game is every bit as exciting as in Shadows of Mordor.

keg in kc
04-18-2014, 09:24 AM
I'm not that all up-to-date on it. Release is still so many months away that it hasn't hit my radar yet. Didn't even know there was a new bioware forum until I stumbled across it a couple of days ago, when I found the youtube vid. I figure they'll be one of the prominent games at E3, so that seems like a good time to ratchet up my attention.

I am pretty curious to see what their as-yet unannounced new IP will be, as well as the 4th completely unrelated to shepard ME game that they can apparently play internally but haven't yet shown any of the rest of us.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 09:38 AM
It was the cover story in the September issue of Game Informer. I'm not sure if that story is available online but you should read more about it.

It looks really cool.

keg in kc
04-18-2014, 11:45 AM
I'll start stealing some stuff from the bioware forums.

First is a collection of info from a recent GamePro article, Apparently some of it's 'duh' and some of it's new:-They're using trinity tactics, meaning that a tank will soak up enemy damage while the Damage Dealer... deals damage and the healer supports us with healing spells. Also, the role of support classes was given a bit more emphasis than before.

-Enemy AI will make use of terrain, for example: archers or mages will look for high places where they can spam us from above and are well protected while we fight through melee enemies who block our path to them. Though there are of course counter measures: Casting a huge wall of ice will force them to look for alternate spots (which may be advantageous to us) or make them break through the wall with considerable effort.

-When you pause the game, placing the cursor on enemy units will tell you their level, health and class.

-Party members will be revived after battle, health will only party be restored. Mana will restore completely, but you won't be able to spam healing spells until everybody is ok again, though Bioware didn't mention how that will work out.

-It's completely optional to make use of the dodge roll.

-2 voices per gender, and it's not possible to have a woman with a man's voice. (apparently one british, one american)

-Fade sequences won't be as tedious as before.

-Nearly everything the player does is tied to the Inquisition in a way. Strengthening the Inquisition by scouting areas, defeating monsters, solving quests etc. will in turn unlock new areas or parts of the story.

-The look of our castle, the Skyhold, is tied to the strength of the Inquisition as well as upgradeable in various ways. If your organization gains more reputation, more soldiers will be running around in the castle. You can change the look of the rooms, or build new ones for crafting purposes, for example a garden to grow herbs.

You can use a map to coordinate your troops and give them various orders.

-Companions so far are Vivienne, Varric, Cassandra, Solas and Iron Bull, as well as a female archer.

-Areas are considerably bigger. The average map should be about three times the size of the Korcari Wilds from DA:O.

-Enemies will also attack each other. Like, if a giant enters a dragon's nest (which is of course patrolled by the dragon), the dragon will attack the giant.

-The optional battles against the dragons will be really hard. During the interview, even the one responsible for designing the battle system lost big way. Also, hurting various body parts will change the behavior of the dragon, like making him limp.

-The graphics will be really awesome. Waves behave realistically, and every pebble is well rendered. After it rains, puddles will form and make the ground muddy, slowing down the movement of the group.

keg in kc
04-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Stuff from last month's OBX:1. There will be 5 regions in Dragon Age: Inquisition: Fereldan, The Free Marches, Orlais, Nevarra and the Dales: 2 of the areas you can expect to visit are; a war-torn region in Orlais and an elven burial ground, known as the Emerald Graves.
The Emerald Graves, according to executive producer Mark Darrah, is where the Dalish Elves planted one tree for every soldier killed in the Exalted Marches.
According to the magazine, while enemy levels don't scale to your characters, you can affect environmental changes to drastically influence local settlements, establish trade routes, capture territory and disrupt the local ecosystem.
Wild flora and fauna, useful for crafting can be hunted to scarcity, allowing other species to proliferate.
Defeating intelligent enemies like bandits or dragons will have a significant effect on a given region.

2. Dragon Age Inquisition Companions: There will be no DLC Companions: According to Creative Director Mike Laidlaw: "Because of how deeply enmeshed in the system companion characters are, we can't just add them on the fly; part of them has to be shipped on the disc...which was led to criticism that we're forcing people to pay for content they already own. It's not the case, but we've decided this time to not go that route. There will be no DLC party members."
Solas is an apostate and an expert on the Fade.
The Iron Bull is confirmed as a companion, who is described as "a one-eyed mercenary and outcast from the Qunari faith"
Sera is confirmed as a companion, and is described as "an elven archer. Little is known about them [referring to both Sera and the Iron Bull] at this point, particularly Sera, who turned up seemingly on accident during one of several combat demonstrations..."

3. The Dialogue Wheel: "We have three wheels that we use in response to any given piece of dialogue" says Gaider. "One of those is what we call the 'tone wheel', which is mostly for role-playing choices. The other two are the 'choice wheel'- for taking an action or stating an opinion-and the 'reaction wheel,' for emotional moments"

4. The Inquisitor: There will be 4 voices for the Inquisitor 2 for each gender, for all races
To address why the same voices apply to all races, Mike Laidlaw made the following statement: "It's a matter of file size...if we were to have eight voices, two for each race, we would be shipping on 14 discs or something. We figured that with four voices, that would give players enough options while staying within our size limitations"
Bioware is currently exploring options to differentiate the voices, like changing the pitch of the audio.
The Prologue Section (or the "Origin" section" will be the same for all players. The player's appearance, class and dialogue responses during the prologue section will fill in the details, presumably of the Inquisitor's background, and in particular inform how other characters respond to you throughout the story.
The Inquisitor is the sole survivor of a reality-shattering event which results in the Fade tearing opening throughout Thedas.
"Presumbly as a result [of the Fade tearing open throughout Thedas], you're also endowed with a singular ability: you can close these rifts wherever they appear throughout the continent."

5. Endings: "Bioware is promising a staggering 40 possible endings for the game, dependent not only on choices made in character generation but by actions taken throughout the storyline. [Mark] Darrah stresses, however, that the endings will all be meaningfully different from one another. You won't find 40 endings with only slight degrees of variation between them."

6. Customization: Armour weights are no longer class specific. Meaning a rogue can wear a mage's robes, and a mage can wear a warrior's armour. The magazine speculates the penalties will be similar to the fatigue penalties used in DA: Origins

7. Other information: There will be a jar of bees, which can be used as a combat item which according to Bioware: "You throw it, the jar breaks open, and little bees fly around stinging your opponents."

Javabean
04-22-2014, 01:02 AM
Box art revealed. (http://i.imgur.com/03V5mW9.jpg)

The game looks good so far -- much more like an iteration of the first one then the second one. I'm pretty optimistic about it.

keg in kc
04-22-2014, 09:33 AM
And a new gameplay trailer.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uO2h4qUNJ60?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Release date is official: October 7!

keg in kc
06-09-2014, 02:22 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1zsNnKNbq-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
06-09-2014, 02:24 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jNOK8x4tcgM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
06-09-2014, 02:33 PM
<div style="background-color:#<div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:gametrailers.com:70f8edd7-d205-428f-930c-82aff71c2458" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#</div>

keg in kc
06-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Biggest RPG Ever Created by BioWare (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11579-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Biggest-RPG-Ever-Created-by-BioWare)"For three years, Dragon Age: Inquisition has been the focus of our BioWare studio," Darrah said. "It's the biggest RPG we've ever made - A multi-region open-world to lose yourself in and experience the best stories you can play."

Here's some of numbers Darrah pointed out to prove his claim:

"In Dragon Age: Inquisition, there are nine followers for you to find and recruit, the most of any Dragon Age game to date."
"Ten massive, open living regions that span two nations."
"Your Inquisitor will be uniquely yours with four playable races, two genders, and a choice of voices, as well as our unique, brand new facial customization system that offers over a billion possible faces."
"Twenty-one different combat skill tees with over 250 combat abilities, talents, and upgrades allow you to fight the way you want."
"16 million armor combinations that can be equipped on both you and your followers."

One of the most interesting things of this iteration is how the story will morph and change based on your actions (or even inactions). "The world of Dragon Age: Inquisition will react to your presence and to the actions you take," Darrah said. "Our brand new Emergent Life System changes based upon the decisions and actions you make, evolving the world as you progress in the story. The Inquisition is your primary tool of influence. Use the War Table to send your agents on missions and decide where the story goes next. Rebuild and customize a stronghold to make it your own, or use the Judgment System to capture enemies in the world and decide their ultimate fate."

keg in kc
06-09-2014, 07:06 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8wgomFVnwPU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ragged Robin
06-09-2014, 07:19 PM
hopefully the other 5 or so companions they didn't show in that are more interesting because those were really lame ROFL

GloucesterChief
06-09-2014, 09:21 PM
hopefully the other 5 or so companions they didn't show in that are more interesting because those were really lame ROFL

Varric is in it which is good.

keg in kc
06-10-2014, 02:11 PM
About 10 minutes of demo starts at the 1:44:00 mark: http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/537207659

Think this is the same thing:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5DzFTvZthxg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Setsuna
06-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I want this.

keg in kc
06-11-2014, 03:43 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DSGmlW7Z8EY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
07-29-2014, 02:54 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oYZw98f58Xo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, in case anybody missed it, the game's been delayed (http://www.dragonage.com/#!/en_US/news/dragon-age-inquisition-update) a few weeks. Coming out November 18th.

The Franchise
07-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Looks pretty cool.

The Franchise
10-14-2014, 04:41 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qzRjfkXW9Lo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ragged Robin
10-14-2014, 06:29 PM
pre-ordered this and ordered a GTX 780 in preparation :evil:

EDIT: apparently I could've gotten a 970 for about the same price.. woops

GordonGekko
10-14-2014, 07:54 PM
pre-ordered this and ordered a GTX 780 in preparation :evil:

EDIT: apparently I could've gotten a 970 for about the same price.. woops

how do you get a 970 everywhere I look they are out of stock it seems

Ragged Robin
10-14-2014, 08:54 PM
how do you get a 970 everywhere I look they are out of stock it seems

newegg has them, depends on what manufacturer yr going for I guess

keg in kc
11-07-2014, 06:55 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4VCJfuY142I?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Flopnuts
11-07-2014, 07:24 AM
I don't play games nearly as much as I used too, but I'm hoping they did a fucking good job for the XBO because it's going to be a day 1 purchase for me.

OmahaChief
11-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Pre-ordered the deluxe version today.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/9c/9c7bf82caa91979bc32e41e89e6bdcf4f8f69f9ec4c4c7c2d87a3d1a114e39ea.jpg

keg in kc
11-10-2014, 02:04 PM
From a gamespot reviewer:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dragon Age story finished 85 hours after I started.</p>&mdash; Kevin VanOrd (@fiddlecub) <a href="https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/531673634780114945">November 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So maybe the stuff at e3 about this potentially being a 200 hour game wasn't all marketing bs after all.

Mav
11-10-2014, 02:06 PM
From a gamespot reviewer:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dragon Age story finished 85 hours after I started.</p>— Kevin VanOrd (@fiddlecub) <a href="https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/531673634780114945">November 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So maybe the stuff at e3 about this potentially being a 200 hour game wasn't all marketing bs after all.
Jesus

keg in kc
11-10-2014, 02:17 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oPpekcveMOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8_CApsY-K6c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
11-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Review embargo broke this morning, and I have to say I'm feeling pretty good about my preorder now (I'd put it off until last week...).

Game Spot - 9/10: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/dragon-age-inquisition-review/1900-6415949/
Game Informer - 9.5/10: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_inquisition/b/playstation4/archive/2014/11/11/dragon-age-inquisition-review-game-informer.aspx
IGN - 8.8/10: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/11/dragon-age-inquisition-review
Polygon - 9.5/10: http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/11/7134385/dragon-age-inquisition-review-ps4-xbox-one-playstation-4-pc
Time 4.5/5: http://time.com/3554352/dragon-age-inquisition-review/
PlayStation Lifestyle - 9/10: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/11/11/psls-dragon-age-inquisition-review-ps4/#/slide/1
Joystiq - 5/5: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/11/11/dragon-age-inquisition-review-tipping-the-scales/
Crave Online - 8.5/10: http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/reviews/786151-dragon-age-inquisition-review-saving-world#/slide/1
MMORPG - 8.6/10: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1028/view/reviews/load/355/Bioware-Reclaims-the-RPG-Crown.html
PC Gamer - 87/100: http://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-inquisition-review/
Eurogamer - 8/10: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-11-dragon-age-inquisition-review
Gaming Trend - 95/100: http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/dragon-age-inquisition-welcome-to-the-new-age-of-role-playing/
GamesRadar - 4/5: http://www.gamesradar.com/dragon-age-inquisition-review-2/
Hardcore Gamer - 5/5: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/11/11/review-dragon-age-inquisition/
AusGamers - 9.2/10: http://www.ausgamers.com/games/dragon-age-inquisition/review/

According to a post on reddit, 43 reviews currently, combined average score of 88/100.

Some random tidbits from reviews:Dragon Age Inquisition has raised the bar for storytelling. It’s the sort of game you think you have figured out after a few hours, but time and time again it’ll surprise you. With a rebuilt combat system, an open and inviting world, 150 hours of content, and a warm and familiar storytelling system, Dragon Age Inquisition is the best RPG I’ve played in a decade.Dragon Age: Inquisition not only feels like a fully fledged role-playing adventure, but it's also packed with fun things to do that will keep you busy for weeks. Having played well over 100 hours, I'm still finding things to do, working on my multiplayer characters, and plotting another playthrough to handle things a bit differently. Inquisition is a triumph and proves that despite some missteps along the way, BioWare hasn't lost its touch.Dragon Age: Inquisition creates a massive, vibrant world on a scale far greater than its predecessors, and does an excellent job of making you feel in command. The heart of this game rests with its characters, who keep you invested in the action. Like a good hundred hour long novel that never lets up, Dragon Age: Inquisition is so engrossing you won’t be able to put it down.Dragon Age: Inquisition is BioWare's reaffirmation of what it's capable of delivering. It's a gorgeous game on an epic scale. Rich in character and story, it creates a fantasy world with plausible social rules you can get lost in. It makes you feel that you aren't just exploring a new world, but helping shape it at various levels of society. Inquisition sets the bar for what a blockbuster RPG should be.After two disparate entries with different philosophies, Dragon Age’s identity crisis is over. With a mixture of open-world exploration, entertaining combat, and top-tier characters, the team at BioWare has found a winning formula that isn’t shackled to either Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age II. Inquisition is not defined by the traditions it returns to, but by the new directions it forges for this magnificent fantasy universe.Dragon Age: Inquisition is a sign that developer BioWare and publisher Electronic Arts understand why gamers were disappointed with the second game in the series and are eager to regain their love by creating a complex, massive, engaging and sometimes surprising mix of action and role playing that can easily keep someone engaged until the end of the year.BioWare has not only addressed its fans’ concerns but has developed a title that RPG fans will donate many hours of their lives to. Dragon Age: Inquisition is not only one of the best games to come out this year, its easily the best RPG of the year.

Obviously I cherry picked the best of the lot, but even the negative reviews were along the lines of "may not be the best thing RPG ever but still the best in a while". Lowest scores I've seen so far were 3.2 out of five (still described as 'good' by the reviewer) and 7/10 (in Swedish, no clue what it says...).

keg in kc
11-11-2014, 07:29 AM
OMFG. ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oiJYrtbTYMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
11-11-2014, 11:08 AM
So fyi, for anyone who isn't aware or who has forgotten, there are no save imports for DAI. You have to go through the Dragon Age Keep to set up everything. That bugged me initally, but as I went through it this morning I actually found it to be a nice refresher on everything that happened in the first two games (neither of which I've touched in 2+ years). Links is https://dragonagekeep.com/en_US/worldvault/#product/dao

keg in kc
11-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Usually avoid posting full articles, but screw it, I liked this one. Putting it in a spoiler tag simply because it's a very long read, not because it's particularly spoilery...​11 Things You Should Know About Dragon Age: Inquisition (http://kotaku.com/11-things-you-should-know-about-dragon-age-inquisitio-1657127952)

Kirk Hamilton
Kotaku

Yesterday, I finished Dragon Age: Inquisition. By "finished," I mean that I played the final story mission and watched the credits roll. Getting to that point took me 85 hours, but I still don't really feel done with the game.

First things first: If you're reading this, you're probably wondering if Dragon Age: Inquisition is any good. Well, is it? Yes, it is good. Fantastic, even. Is it better than Dragon Age 2? Yes, and in fact it feels like a borderline-hilarious overcorrection for every single one of that game's faults. Is it better than Dragon Age: Origins? That's probably more up for debate, but I'd say I prefer it. Short version: This game is pretty awesome. People are gonna love it.

That said, I'm not ready to review Inquisition just yet. I have a lot to say about it, but there's still more that I want to investigate. There's my second playthrough on PC, which stars a different character making different choices. There's the game's fun-looking multiplayer. There's the combat system, which I enjoyed well enough on normal difficulty but which I haven't really had a chance to stress-test. There are all of the decisions I could've made differently, and my lingering questions about how much those different decisions really would've changed my overall experience. And there's the fact that the retail PS4 version I played had a lot of bugs, some of which should be fixed in time for the game's launch next week, others of which I suspect will linger. (Note: Jason encountered a good number of bugs on PS4 as well, though Stephen is playing it on Xbox One and has had a smooth go of it in his first several hours of play time.)

I'll have some other articles related to the game up on the site over the coming week, and will post a full review before the game launches next week. For now, it's time for a list of things! A list of things about Dragon Age: Inquisition.

1. It Sure Is A Fantasy RPG

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a fantasy role-playing game. Which means: You get to make a character, pick his/her race and class, and role-play your way through a whole bunch of cool fantasy adventures involving magic and elves and dwarves and dragons. You'll make friends with a bunch of neat followers along the way, get to know and care about them, and make some tricky decisions at crucial junctures in the story.

Developer BioWare has been doing this for a long time now, and Inquisition is not an attempt to re-invent their particular wheel—rather, it feels like a concerted effort to expand and fine-tune it. The PR materials accompanying the review copies we were sent informed us that "this is the Dragon Age game that we have always wanted to make at BioWare." That feels about right: Inquisition feels like a new checkpoint not just for the Dragon Age series, but of the whole "Combat, Companions, and Conversation" thing BioWare's been tinkering with for more than a decade now.

2. It's Absolutely Huge

It's difficult to talk about the scale of Dragon Age: Inquisition without A) getting hyperbolic and B) invoking Skyrim. This game is massive. It's broken into separate regions which are unlocked as you go and can be visited from the game's world map. The first area you unlock, The Hinterlands, is so large that I spent the first four or five hours thinking it'd be the main area of the game.

Nope. Turns out, there are seven (!!) other comparable regions in the game (plus several other smaller ones), and each one is different from the others. There's a sprawling desert, a lush Elven forest, a rain-battered coastline, war-torn plains, a haunted swamp, a mysterious oasis, and more. You're free to explore as you wish in between the more constrained, scripted story missions

Each of these areas takes many hours to fully explore and "clear," and I have no doubt that there are plenty of secrets I've missed. There's also a labyrinthine home-base that's so large and full of stuff to do that I still get lost while exploring. Fifty hours into the game, I discovered a lovely courtyard that I hadn't even realized I owned, complete with a few characters to chat with and a garden for planting herbs. Fifty hours in!

I'm sure that over the next few days, you will see many comparisons between Dragon Age and Bethesda's sprawling open-world RPG Skyrim, which is gaming's current standard-bearer for "a really big role-playing game." Those comparisons aren't misguided. While I can't say for certain that Inquisition actually contains more square mileage than Skyrim, it certainly feels like it does, thanks largely to how varied the different areas are. BioWare's game also feels bigger because each section you visit is still only a small sliver of the rest of the world, even though that "small" sliver is huge.

So, Inquisition's segmented zones actually make the whole of the game feel grander than it would've had it been a straight open-world game. You'll spend an hour in the desert of western Orlais, then an hour in the swamps of southern Ferelden. In Skyrim, your wanderings are constrained to one giant landmass, which paradoxically leaves the game feeling smaller in comparison.

Inquisition's size goes beyond acreage, too: There's an overwhelming amount of things to do in this game. I've seen plenty of people concerned that there are too many busywork "go here and get 10 of these" quests in Inquisition. While those sorts of quests do exist (and seem pretty optional), they're easily overshadowed by the game's wide array of more-interesting diversions. Explore this time-frozen battleground, and see if you can find out what happened there. Visit your Inquisition's war-table to dispatch your forces and unlock new regions, or solve problems for minor characters. Use hand-drawn maps to scour the desert for a hidden Dwarven ruin full of powerful relics. Solve constellation puzzles in each area to triangulate and unlock a treasure room. Go giant-hunting, or challenge and defeat a trio of extremely dangerous dragons. Open a dam and venture into the caves beneath a lake to close an underwater demon rift. Survive the guardians of a hidden Elven ruin and re-forge a legendary sword. And on, and on, and on.

I spent a great deal of my first playthrough gawking at the sheer amount of cool stuff in this game, so much of it off the beaten path and technically inessential to the main story. Most of it is unique—or "bespoke," to use the current design buzzword—full of distinct artwork and lovely design, like a hidden bonus tucked away for anyone curious enough to wander. This game constantly rewards exploration; it's so generous that each new discovery eventually becomes a sort of joyful punchline: Oh, well of COURSE there's a bunch of puzzles and a neat side-story in this haunted house I discovered in the woods. Why wouldn't there be?

3. It's Currently Got Some Technical Issues

Less happily, the version of Inquisition that I played had a whole bunch of bugs, from small visual tics to game-halting glitches and crashes. A lot of those will likely be addressed in a couple of coming pre-release patches, but they're still worth mentioning here.

The PS4 version that I played had some sort of incompatibility with Sony's PS4 v2.00 software that caused the game to regularly hard-lock my entire console, forcing me (terrifyingly) to repeatedly unplug my PS4 in order to get it working. Worse, sometimes those resets would cause my saved games to become corrupted, forcing me to constantly maintain multiple saves in fear of losing progress. Don't worry, though: that particular issue should be addressed before the game is actually out—Sony says that they're issuing a small system update this week that should make the freezing issue go away entirely. Over the weekend, I tried a loaner PS4 with the updated system software and the freezing issue didn't repeat. So, everyone reading this should be fine. All the same, it was unnerving to encounter a bug that severe in a retail build of a game.

I've encountered a fair number of smaller bugs on both PS4 and on PC, as well. As beautiful-looking as Inquisition often is, there are lots of weird shudders and tics at the margins—non-player-characters that'll zoom into a scene as if by magic, textures that'll pop in in odd ways, menu options that'll go missing, and the occasional crash that'll kick you back to the OS and force you to reboot the game. Often, I would load a new area and find that sound effects were entirely missing—I'd have to wait for several long moments before my character's attacks or footfalls made any sound at all. Several times the game would glitch out during conversation and leave me with no dialogue options, watching as characters expectantly waited for my character to say… something. I'd begin hitting the "skip" button to force my way through the conversation, the whole time worried that I was making some narrative-altering decision without even being aware of it.

All the bugs and other technical issues feel patchable, and Dragon Age publisher EA's PR team tells me that there is indeed a day-one patch coming that will address a lot of the bugs I noted. All the same, I doubt the game will ever run completely smoothly—it feels like it's being held together a little loosely, or like it could've used a few more months of QA testing. That's not surprising, given how ambitious it all is, and aside from the freezing bug, none of the rough patches are dealbreakers. But the bugs were enough of an issue while I played that I'd be remiss not to mention them.

4. You Can't Rush Through It

It would be a colossal mistake to rush through Dragon Age: Inquisition. I suppose it would be possible, though the game does gate your progress by making you earn "power" points by doing various side missions before you can open up new regions on the map or new story missions to undertake. But while it may be technically possible to barrel through the back half of the story, skipping a number of the game's open-world zones in the process, it would be a mistake to do so.

That's one of the reasons I'm not hurrying to review the game—one does not simply wolf down an 85-hour game in a week, fart out an opinion, and call it a day. Or at least, I'd rather not do it that way. While in those 85 hours I do feel as though I saw the majority of the most interesting sidequests and follower missions, I'm also sure that there are a whole bunch of hidden things that I missed.

Inquisition's greatest pleasures lie off the beaten path: Indulging in meandering, philosophical conversations with minor characters; learning some random vendor's backstory; reading lengthy and enjoyable codex entries; listening to lovely songs performed by the tavern bard; wandering off in one direction and just seeing what you find. There is simply no way to do most of that in a hurry; this game all but demands that you relax and take your time. (Which makes it all the more important that BioWare really does fix the technical bugs—nothing makes it harder to relax and enjoy a game like this than being regularly distracted by audio glitches and crashes.)

5. It's Not Really Newcomer-Friendly

I get the sense that a lot of people will be coming to Inquisition without having played the first two Dragon Age games. Those people are going to have to do some background reading, because for better or for worse, Inquisition is hugely reliant on the lore, characters, world-building, and backstory laid down by the first two games. If you don't know a Tevinter Magister from an Orlesian noble, you're going to be a bit lost here.

Dragon Age: Inquisition also places a surprising (welcome!) focus on politics, specifically the civil war raging in Orlais, the nation next door to Origins' nation of Ferelden. If you're a big Dragon Age nerd like me, you're probably super psyched to hear that, but it does mean that newbies will have to spend a lot of time actually reading the game's (enjoyable and well-written) codex or tracking down some entries on the Dragon Age wiki just to keep their head above water.

Furthermore, several of the plot's twists and turns rely on knowledge of some pretty specific events from past games. Even seasoned players will want to brush up on Elven mysticism, the Tevinter Imperium, the legend of the prophet Andraste, the hierarchy and schisms in the Chantry, and even the events of Dragon Age 2 DLC just to understand why a given plot development has everyone worked up.

6. I Can't Quite Tell How Much My Decisions Mattered

Dragon Age: Inquisition follows the established BioWare formula: Start with a few party members, meet a few more, go on some initial story quests, start to explore, get more party members, keep exploring. And, also true to the BioWare tradition, you'll have to make a lot of moral choices, each of which affects the story in a small or large way.

The choices are often tricky, and the best ones are less of the kill/spare variety and more of a trust/don't trust kinda thing. However, I'm still not sure just how much any of them really mattered over the course of the game. I played "right," in that I kept all of my party members from leaving and did pretty much every major follower sidequest. But when it comes right down to it, I'm not sure how many real branches there were in my narrative tree.

I don't personally mind this—the main storyline was decent if a bit rote, and I was really in it for the smaller personal stories that this game provides in such abundance—but some players expecting a narrative that twists and turns based on your decisions might be disappointed. Over the coming week, I'm planning to check out some of the alternate paths so that I can have a better idea of just how different your playthrough might be from my first one.

7. Freddie Prinze Jr. Wins

Here's something I wasn't expecting: Freddie Prinze Jr., star of such 90s high school dramas as She's All That and I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, damn near walks off with Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Prinze voices The Iron Bull, an eight-foot Qunari warrior who joins your cause early in the game. Bull is not what you'd expect, especially if you suffered through the Qunari-infused second act of Dragon Age 2. He's a thoughtful, wry killer whose joie de vivre and reckless enthusiasm for danger make him an all-but-essential party member for adventures out in the field, particularly because of all the great banter he has with other characters. (The field banter in this game is great, in general.)

Prinze did good work as soldier James Vega in Mass Effect 3, but it turns out the actor was kind of wasted in that role—here, he finally gets to be "the cool one," and he knocks it out of the park. There are a lot of great characters in Inquisition—in fact, the good-to-dull character ratio may be better here than any past BioWare game—but thanks to the combination of the script and Prinze's lusty performance, The Iron Bull steals the show.

8. Multiplayer Looks Fun, But I Haven't Tried It

Inquisition also includes a full co-op multiplayer suite, which seems almost ridiculous given how much stuff there is to do in singleplayer. I haven't tested it out—there have been a few scheduled pre-release multiplayer sessions for reviewers to try, but nothing I've been able to coordinate with people I regularly play games with. I'm looking forward to trying it out, and will reserve judgement until I've had a chance to really play it like I'd normally play a multiplayer game. If you want to see it in action, you can always go watch the archive of the stream BioWare did last week.

9. It Is Gorgeous

Dragon Age: Inquisition is an exceptionally good-looking game. BioWare has transitioned to using EA's Frostbite Engine—the same engine that powers the near-photorealistic Battlefield games—and while I sense that the engine is responsible for a lot of the previously mentioned technical weirdness, it compensates by offering some spectacular vistas. Every new area offers views that stretch off into the distance, with fog-shrouded castles and mountain-sized sculptures looming against the horizon. It looks much better in motion than it does in still shots, with the mist rolling through and the grasses and trees swaying in the breeze.

I've played extensively on PS4 and some on PC, and both versions look nice. (The screenshots and gifs in this post are all from the PS4 version.) The PC version is definitely the way to go if you have the option—it's crisper and the gameplay sections run at 60fps (cutscenes and most dialogue sequences ran at 30 for me, which is probably a good thing). The PC's mouse and keyboard controls are about what you'd expect—they work well, with a big bar of hotkeys and controls similar to those in Origins—and it even includes controller support, should you want to kick back and play on your TV. Also, the console versions do this strange thing where spells and other actions get blurry at a distance, to the point where everything looks weirdly pixellated and it can get difficult to tell what's going on. It's not a huge deal, but spells and other special effects are much sharper on the PC, so it's easier to tell what's happening in the midst of a lively fracas.

Despite how lovely it looks in general, there is still one area where the game looks dated: Cutscene animations. Characters still stand stiffly when talking, and while the lip-synching technology BioWare is using is unnervingly good—how did they sync up such an ungodly amount of dialogue? Is it procedural? I don't even—the rest of the animations are weird.

When your character smiles, it's the same bizarre horror-mask that Commander Shepard so often wore in Mass Effect. When characters cross their arms, their hands clip through their chests. My lady protagonist had male animations in cutscenes, so she'd swagger into each scene carrying invisible suitcases, legs splayed like she was riding an imaginary horse. It's all pretty awkward. The strong writing and voice acting make up for that stiffness, and after a while I stopped noticing. But given how incredible video game character-animation has gotten over the last several years, Inquisition's awkwardness sticks out.

10. Combat Is Streamlined In Interesting Ways

Combat in Inquisition hits an interesting balance between the arguably oversimplified combat of Dragon Age 2 and the sometimes too-fiddly combat of Origins. Basic attacks are tied to the right trigger, making melee combat in particular feel almost like an action-RPG at times. Players who are downed in combat don't become "injured" like they did in Origins, removing the need to carry around injury kits and making death less of a big deal.

However, there's no healing spell in the game, which is a bold move and in my experience so far, a successful one. The only way to heal mid-combat is by using potions, and you're initially limited to eight among your entire party. That means that buffs, barriers, and guards become extremely important, and you'll no longer have to dedicate one of your four party members to act as healer to the other three. The game encourages a satisfying blend of caution and aggression, and it really works.

There's now a top-down tactical view in all versions of the game, which makes it much easier to pause combat, zoom out, and carefully issue orders to your team. The tactical view is well-done—you can hold down a button to advance time, then release it to pause the game again and issue more orders. That removes the constant frantic pausing and unpausing present in Origins and makes a cautiously played Inquisition battle feel almost like a turn-based tactical affair, should you want it to.

For the most part, I found that I was able to let my melee characters go off on their own, and I stayed in control of my mage for 90% of combat encounters. I'm planning to explore the game more on hard difficulty, however, which I sense will force me to play much more tactically. Generally, I really like combat in Inquisition: It's my favorite combat system of all three main games, and I've never felt bored by a fight, even when I hopelessly outclass my low-level adversaries. And, good news for people who think that the "Dragon" in the series' title should mean something: There are quite a few (mostly optional) dragon battles in Inquisition, and they're suitably challenging and exciting.

11. My Main Character Is The Best

I'm not sure this qualifies as something you need to know about Dragon Age: Inquisition, but my heroine, Sabetha Trevalyan, is a total babe.

She kicks ass, too. After spending dozens upon dozens of hours guiding her leadership of the Thedas Inquisition, I've gotten pretty attached to her. (Actor Alix Wilton Regan's outstanding voice work certainly helps.) Point being: The game's protagonist is well-written and becomes a relatable, interesting character over the course of the story. More so than in past Dragon Age games, particularly Origins, my protagonist felt like a proper cast member, not just a foil for a group of more-interesting supporting characters. That's a big step in the right direction for this series.

85 hours is a lot of time to spend playing a game over the course of a year, let alone over a single week. Obviously, I really liked Dragon Age: Inquisition. Have I interrogated the game enough to have a complete opinion of it? Not quite yet. I'll have a review up soon. In the meantime, if you have any questions about the game, ask them below and I'll do my best to answer.

To contact the author of this post, write to kirk@kotaku.com or find him on Twitter @kirkhamilton.

keg in kc
11-11-2014, 11:18 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1WpqaEQO8Hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cookster50
11-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Ordered using some dell.com gift cards I had about ready to expire.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Got a month of EA Origin to save 10% off the pre-order. Paid no sales tax and now get to play it for 6 hours before next Tuesday. Best pre-order I've ever pulled the trigger on!

keg in kc
11-13-2014, 11:40 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VDEmVIEuc9c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mav
11-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Got a month of EA Origin to save 10% off the pre-order. Paid no sales tax and now get to play it for 6 hours before next Tuesday. Best pre-order I've ever pulled the trigger on!
What system you on?

keg in kc
11-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Bit from an article from polygon talking about how Dragon Age: Inquisition’s greatest achievement is its writing (http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/12/7200245/dragon-age-inquisition-s-greatest-achievement-is-its-writing) the writing manages to make me feel like I am exploring a world with a bunch of different personalities. They react to circumstances and action triggers in ways that feel authentic. I do not feel as if I am moving through a world, dragging these constructs around with me, just because I am going to need them to cast spells or deliver melee damage. Frankly, I'd happily have the best of them tag along, just for the ride.

Different characters feel as though they were raised in cultures that you may or may not find agreeable. They bring alternative perspectives to the broader story.

This, for me, is just as valuable as the gorgeous visual details of soaring mountains or swaying trees or burning cottages. I love that, while I'm going about my busy quest, I can enjoy the drawn-out resolution of two characters who ought to hate one another, exploring potential areas of commonality. I love that characters defined by their beliefs at the beginning of he story, become defined by their ability to question their beliefs. I love that romance is a drawn out process of simpatico and compatibility, build upon words and actions, not gimmicks like gift-giving.

It helps that the issues at stake in this world are interesting in and of themselves. They may be presented in fantasy gobbledygook about chantries and elixirs and the end of the world, but they are really about belief and belonging, self-doubt and individuality. The developers have chosen not to simply leave this soup on the boil, until it is reduced to a bland liberal jus of tidy RPG resolutions. There is a feast of different ideas and perspectives, demanding that you consider their merits and shortcomings.

BioWare has made games in the past that lack the emotional wallop of Inquisition. Technological potential is only rarely realized in game design, most particularly in the area of creating convincing narrative worlds. No, this game's chief triumph is its writing. The fact that the writing stays good, right through this massive game, is an achievement in itself.

keg in kc
11-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Preload is available on origin for PC players. 23.8 GB

Mr. Flopnuts
11-14-2014, 11:55 AM
What system you on?

I've got an XBO. I just rarely play it. I don't play online at all. I've logged less than 30 hours of video games this year. Dragon Age will change that though.

I dug into it for an hour or so last night. It's different than any DA I've played before, and I'm getting ready to tear into those 6 hours some more right now.

bishop_74
11-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Yup. I played it last night too. It was great.

keg in kc
11-14-2014, 12:12 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TvKbvRXmxjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T5bmdlT_wyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
11-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Preload is available on origin for PC players. 23.8 GB

This is one of the most bullshit marketing moves ever. It's like ordering a rack of ribs and having it delivered to your table, but you can only sit there and stare at it for another 2 days. Those bastards are just leveraging our childish excitement.

keg in kc
11-14-2014, 03:00 PM
This is one of the most bullshit marketing moves ever. It's like ordering a rack of ribs and having it delivered to your table, but you can only sit there and stare at it for another 2 days. Those bastards are just leveraging our childish excitement.I don't think it has anything to do with marketing. It's technical. Allowing people to download early means we can all start playing the day physical copies of the game are available in stores, and there's little to no risk of the download servers going down. Basically we don't have to wait to play on launch day. And it's certainly not specific to dragon-age: I've preloaded every game I've preordered going back several years.

People are going to get street copies early too. Amazon in particular is notorious for shipping games to people before you can play them (ostensibly for launch day delivery) and it's occasionally brick-and-mortar stores stock games early.

keg in kc
11-14-2014, 03:01 PM
FYI, for anyone into soundtracks, if you preload, the game's soundtrack will appear in the bonus folder.

Fish
11-14-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with marketing. It's technical. Allowing people to download early means we can all start playing the day physical copies of the game are available in stores, and there's little to no risk of the download servers going down. Basically we don't have to wait to play on launch day. And it's certainly not specific to dragon-age: I've preloaded every game I've preordered going back several years.

People are going to get street copies early too. Amazon in particular is notorious for shipping games to people before you can play them (ostensibly for launch day delivery) and it's occasionally brick-and-mortar stores stock games early.

Way to drain all the humor from my post, Nurse Ratched...

keg in kc
11-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Way to drain all the humor from my post, Nurse Ratched...I wasn't sure whether you were kidding or not so I went for "not". It can be difficult to interpret the context of print. :p

keg in kc
11-14-2014, 03:24 PM
If I'm reading this right, it looks like we can (legally) start playing at 11 pm central Monday night: North America and Brazil – 11/17 9PM PST (http://help.ea.com/en/article/dragon-age-inquisition-release-schedule/)

Fish
11-14-2014, 04:09 PM
I wasn't sure whether you were kidding or not so I went for "not". It can be difficult to interpret the context of print. :p

No worries. I'm really terrible with humor sometimes...

FYI... I'm seeing some copies on torrent sites already.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-15-2014, 11:30 AM
This game is just fucking stunning. And fun. I'm playing a human mage, and am already considering starting over with an Elven mage. Since I can just continue playing when the game is officially released, I don't mind burning those two hours and having 4 when I get going next Tuesday.

My XBO had been a $500 paper weight. I am so fucking glad I bought it now, because it's taking this RPG to the next level. Most fun I've had in YEARS playing a game.

hometeam
11-15-2014, 12:08 PM
This game is just ****ing stunning. And fun. I'm playing a human mage, and am already considering starting over with an Elven mage. Since I can just continue playing when the game is officially released, I don't mind burning those two hours and having 4 when I get going next Tuesday.

My XBO had been a $500 paper weight. I am so ****ing glad I bought it now, because it's taking this RPG to the next level. Most fun I've had in YEARS playing a game.

550 bucks for one game? PLus pay for online? ouch.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-15-2014, 12:16 PM
550 bucks for one game? PLus pay for online? ouch.

I just haven't played games for a couple of years. Honestly, I would've bought the PS4 but I couldn't justify it. My wife wanted this (not sure why she's never played games) so I got it for her. I've got over a grand into it with all the games and shit I've bought for it that I've rarely played. It's a lot of money yes, but when games like this and GTA V come out, all of a sudden I'm getting my money out of it.

Mav
11-15-2014, 04:19 PM
I just haven't played games for a couple of years. Honestly, I would've bought the PS4 but I couldn't justify it. My wife wanted this (not sure why she's never played games) so I got it for her. I've got over a grand into it with all the games and shit I've bought for it that I've rarely played. It's a lot of money yes, but when games like this and GTA V come out, all of a sudden I'm getting my money out of it.
I'm picking up Dragon age, and gta on Tuesday

keg in kc
11-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Entertaining dragon fight video: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bcy9RRy0yGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
11-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Me for the next 29 hours...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/raTts-iGixU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
11-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Launch trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7SREM6E4Fvs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
11-17-2014, 01:29 PM
So this game has the Denuvo DRM protection. Which is currently used on 2 other games, FIFA 15 and Lords of the Fallen, which are both still uncrackable.

Might be a while before this one is broken...

keg in kc
11-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Can unlock a few weapons ingame by doing this: http://www.dragonage.com/#!/en_US/news/quest-for-the-red-lyrium-reapers

(note: it was pretty buggy in Firefox, took a few tries to get through the Inquisitor inquests).

Mr. Flopnuts
11-17-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm excited for you guys for tonight. I've had a fucking blast playing this game. Humble brag sure, but I really am excited to start talking about this game with you guys.

Buck
11-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Streaming now

http://www.twitch.tv/lirik

keg in kc
11-17-2014, 02:29 PM
God what an awful stream.

hometeam
11-17-2014, 05:13 PM
God what an awful stream.

I like lirik himself, but his chat sucks.

Dudes clearing at least 50 grand a month playing games.

keg in kc
11-17-2014, 05:54 PM
I like lirik himself, but his chat sucks.

Dudes clearing at least 50 grand a month playing games.I don't have any idea who he is, but it took me about 5 seconds to realize his stream wasn't for me. Pretty much the moment I saw his character avatar was made up like a clown.

cookster50
11-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Pretty much the moment I saw his character avatar was made up like a clown.

Sounds douche.

Ragged Robin
11-17-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty pumped, not sure why these assholes released it on a Tuesday and not over the weekend though.. some of us have jobs god damn it bioware

Mav
11-17-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm pretty pumped, not sure why these assholes released it on a Tuesday and not over the weekend though.. some of us have jobs god damn it bioware

New to video game or movie releases?

Lol

Ragged Robin
11-17-2014, 08:31 PM
New to video game or movie releases?

Lol

I usually just pirate all this bullshit

Mav
11-17-2014, 08:34 PM
I usually just pirate all this bullshit

ahhh, yeah, I don't know why but it has been on Tuesday as long as I can remember.

Ragged Robin
11-17-2014, 10:58 PM
ONE MINUTE LEFT, BRING IT ON BITCHES

Mav
11-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Bought it. Will install tomorrow

OmahaChief
11-18-2014, 08:21 AM
So this game has the Denuvo DRM protection. Which is currently used on 2 other games, FIFA 15 and Lords of the Fallen, which are both still uncrackable.

Might be a while before this one is broken...

Good. If we want these folks to keep making great games people need to pay for them.

keg in kc
11-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Got in a couple hours before I passed out. So far it 'feels' more like DAO than DA2, but it's definitely its own thing. Really good.

Ragged Robin
11-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Got in a couple hours before I passed out. So far it 'feels' more like DAO than DA2, but it's definitely its own thing. Really good.

So far... meh. I played for about 4 hours and got to clear out a chunk of the Ferelden region. Haven't really been wowed yet but it's still early and there's a ton of shit to do. The companions so far are pretty boring/uninteresting compared to Origins.

Also, I really really hate the "floating jetpack daggers" that they, for some reason, decided to have on the back of the model instead of the waist.. and with no sheathes? Looks really goofy (I know DAO was like this too but someone was able to mod this ASAP)

hometeam
11-18-2014, 09:56 AM
sucks that origin has the secondary market on lockdown.. i cant stand buying anything retail.. will just have to wait until winter sale or GPU game giveaway etc :(

keg in kc
11-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Two years after the announcement and I still can't get this out of my head LMAO

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NUMkcBctE7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc
11-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Game has completely taken over my life now.

Beef Supreme
11-19-2014, 01:54 PM
I got sucked into buying this game because of all of the smashing reviews noted in this thread. Not one of them mentioned how fucking god-awful the combat is, or how dumbed down the companion AI is. Nobody mentioned the absolutely ridiculous search key that you need to keep spamming. I have both of the other Dragon Age games, and I really enjoyed the first one. The second was pretty bland, and I never finished it, but even as mediocre as the combat was, it was better than this shit. And the character creation has a whole lot of sliders which seem to translate into a whole lot of ugly.

The story hasn't really done anything for me so far either. Wishing I would have grabbed FarCry 4 instead of this at the moment. But I'll play some more to see if it gets any better.

Buck
11-19-2014, 01:55 PM
I missed like 5 weeks of work and have a healthy disability check headed my way. I think I'm gonna buy this when it arrives. Whenever the fuck that might be.

Buck
11-19-2014, 01:56 PM
I got sucked into buying this game because of all of the smashing reviews noted in this thread. Not one of them mentioned how fucking god-awful the combat is, or how dumbed down the companion AI is. Nobody mentioned the absolutely ridiculous search key that you need to keep spamming. I have both of the other Dragon Age games, and I really enjoyed the first one. The second was pretty bland, and I never finished it, but even as mediocre as the combat was, it was better than this shit.

The story hasn't really done anything for me so far either. Wishing I would have grabbed FarCry 4 instead of this at the moment. But I'll play some more to see if it gets any better.

What system did you get it for?

Beef Supreme
11-19-2014, 01:58 PM
What system did you get it for?

PC

I tried using an xbox controller. It made it even worse for me, who plays almost exclusively PC games.

cookster50
11-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Dell uses the slowest shipping possible.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-19-2014, 02:51 PM
So I never played GTA V even though I bought it for my PS3. Now that I have it on XBO I can't fucking put it down. I need to get some DA in.

keg in kc
11-19-2014, 03:27 PM
The combat's my favorite in the series so far. By a long shot. DAO was a little too slow, DA2 was too hectic, although I liked it more than DAO. This is somewhere in the middle.

I play as a mage, however. I could understand it's maybe more frustrating for melee (talking on pc). Although I haven't had any issues on the few occasions where I've taken over Cassandra.

I see lots of bitching about the controls and UI on pc. I'm 16+ hours into it now, and have had zero issues with either. Although occasionally I do accidentally attack things since years of mmo and rpg play have conditioned me to think of the left button as part of movement, rather than attack. The tactical camera could be a little easier to use, but as I understand it's currently bugged on pc. We'll see after it's patched.

I can't really comment on the story, because I've barely started it. The hinterlands is so gigantic that basically all I've done is run sidequests for the last day. I saw in some video reviews where they were complaining about 'vanilla' sidequests like "kill x whatevers". I've run literally dozens of sidequests now and I've seen exactly one of those (collecting 10 ram meat for a hunter at the crossroads). There's been an escort quest (which was a little annoying, as escort quests generally are), fedex quests, a series of horse races, a quest that sent me into the deeproads, a quest that sent me to a desert temple (connected to the shard quest), quests finding constellations, all kinds of different stuff.

Not sure what people don't like. For me, this is (so far) the best Bioware game since KOTOR. But I'm barely at the beginning. Even though I'm 16 hours in. So who knows what I'll think a week from now.

Beef Supreme
11-19-2014, 03:51 PM
The combat's my favorite in the series so far. By a long shot. DAO was a little too slow, DA2 was too hectic, although I liked it more than DAO. This is somewhere in the middle.

I play as a mage, however. I could understand it's maybe more frustrating for melee (talking on pc). Although I haven't had any issues on the few occasions where I've taken over Cassandra.

I see lots of bitching about the controls and UI on pc. I'm 16+ hours into it now, and have had zero issues with either. Although occasionally I do accidentally attack things since years of mmo and rpg play have conditioned me to think of the left button as part of movement, rather than attack. The tactical camera could be a little easier to use, but as I understand it's currently bugged on pc. We'll see after it's patched.

I can't really comment on the story, because I've barely started it. The hinterlands is so gigantic that basically all I've done is run sidequests for the last day. I saw in some video reviews where they were complaining about 'vanilla' sidequests like "kill x whatevers". I've run literally dozens of sidequests now and I've seen exactly one of those (collecting 10 ram meat for a hunter at the crossroads). There's been an escort quest (which was a little annoying, as escort quests generally are), fedex quests, a series of horse races, a quest that sent me into the deeproads, a quest that sent me to a desert temple (connected to the shard quest), quests finding constellations, all kinds of different stuff.

Not sure what people don't like. For me, this is (so far) the best Bioware game since KOTOR. But I'm barely at the beginning. Even though I'm 16 hours in. So who knows what I'll think a week from now.

The right mouse button is part of movement if you want to turn with the mouse like any normal PC user would. The left is the auto attack button, which you have to hold down constantly to keep auto attacking. It's not that terrible if it was simply a single character action game. But it's not. And if it were, it needs better action. It seems like a bad console port and bad game design.

And then there's the search button ... I really always wanted to always have to run around spamming a button over and over again ... said no one ever.

I don't worry about the key bind layout because I have a razor orb weaver game pad, and rebinding keys is easy enough anyway.

But this game tries to be an action game and a tactical game at the same time and kinda fails at both. The AI scripts from DA:O were great. The AI control for this game blows. So it's difficult to set up your party to do what you want them to on their own, and the tactical camera mode is a fucking disaster and pausing and switching between four characters for every single action they do is tedious.

So I just let the AI run wild and try to live with it.

I'm not very far into the game at all, and I may come to like the combat better than I do at the moment. But initial impressions are poor.

The story so far hasn't hooked me in any way. Might as well be the Charlie Brown Teacher talking during the cut scenes, as much as I give a shit about what they are droning on about.

I'm not totally writing it off. I'll give it more time and see if it becomes more satisfying.

hometeam
11-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Wishing you bought an ubisoft game instead of DA3? damn, now im nervous it might actually suck~

Buck
11-19-2014, 07:06 PM
I sorta want FC4 and The Crew but I guess I'm boycotting Ubisoft. I'll might find a free way to play FC4

Beef Supreme
11-20-2014, 12:58 AM
I switched to mage and I am enjoying it a bit more. It's not as terrible as I made it sound once you get keybinds set up how you want them. The companion AI script is still lacking. I think I was just in a bit of a mood last night when I played. I haven't got past the Hinterlands, so the story will come along, hopefully. The beginning seems pretty generic fantasy complete with a lot of Brits droning on about an amnesiac chosen one closing rifts ... and I think I just kinda lost it.

keg in kc
11-20-2014, 01:01 AM
And then there's the search button ... I really always wanted to always have to run around spamming a button over and over again ... said no one ever.Bioware games almost always have loot highlight keys, either the tab key (I believe that's what it was in Origins) or the alt key. The only difference with inquisition is that it's the v, there's the radar 'ping' sound to go along with it and the rare hidden item you have to find (which I think is a cool little new thing). Otherwise it's not really anything nothing new.

hometeam
11-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Looks like there is some talk that EA DRM eats your SSD in certain games... DA3 included. Yuk

Mav
11-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Looks like there is some talk that EA DRM eats your SSD in certain games... DA3 included. Yuk
English?

hometeam
11-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Err uhh.. the game makes your drive constantly write information. For solid states drives this is a problem becuase they have finite write cycles. If the game is writing a reportedly 30gb of data for every 40 minutes of gameplay, that's a ton of wear and tear on your SSD. People are concerned if they play DA3 off of an SSD, or already have, that they are prematurely wearing out the drive, and that = $$$

Mav
11-22-2014, 01:45 AM
Err uhh.. the game makes your drive constantly write information. For solid states drives this is a problem becuase they have finite write cycles. If the game is writing a reportedly 30gb of data for every 40 minutes of gameplay, that's a ton of wear and tear on your SSD. People are concerned if they play DA3 off of an SSD, or already have, that they are prematurely wearing out the drive, and that = $$$
I know you are a pc guy, so does this apply to all systems?

hometeam
11-22-2014, 07:04 AM
I know you are a pc guy, so does this apply to all systems?

PC only. The console itself is the DRM on console.

Mav
11-22-2014, 10:55 AM
PC only. The console itself is the DRM on console.
Thanks. I'm clearly the plug in and play type

Mav
11-23-2014, 12:50 AM
I like this game. But I don't want to control multiple people. Ugh

hometeam
11-23-2014, 07:21 AM
I like this game. But I don't want to control multiple people. Ugh

Just replace the AI scripts with custom made ones..

Oh.. console..

lol

cookster50
11-23-2014, 11:52 AM
I've got to be missing something easy. How the fudge do you use a healing potion with ps4?

keg in kc
11-23-2014, 05:15 PM
So I've got an embarrassing number of hours played now, and all I can say is that this game is incredible so far. I've gotten the hang of combat now, including the tactical camera that everybody seems to hate, but I've found to be invaluable during things like dragon fights. The simple thing that fixed it for me was moving the camera so the angle is no longer top down - basically you can stay in third person mode with the tactical camera. Double click on character portraits to change perspective. It's actually pretty easy to control the battlefield, much easier than when I was trying to do everything looking down from above (since you can't pull the field of view very far back).

The story so far is amazing. The trick is, unless you're a grinder (which I am...), you need to get out of Hinterlands by the time you're level 4 or 5. Don't stay there just running random sidequests. Because you can spend dozens of hours there doing random stuff and never advance the story at all. But once you leave (you can always come back and finish stuff later...) everything really kicks into high gear. There are some tremendously emotional moments, and some very difficult choices to make. Even the romances seem to have taken a major step forward, at least with Cassandra, who for me was one of the most mature and well done romances I've ever seen in a bioware game. The character interactions in general (meaning conversations at Skyhold and the ensuing individual character quests) have all been very good as well.

Now, being a grinder, I'm still in act 2 despite about 60 hours of game time, so I have no idea what the rest of the game's going to bring. I'm clearing areas right now, and putting off going forward with the story. But to this point this is the best thing I've played in years. And I'm gonna hate not being able to play much this week.

Ragged Robin
11-24-2014, 10:51 PM
OK guys, I didn't play #2 but if you've finished The Fade part in this game and Alistair is king..

Hawke or Stroud? On one hand, the Wardens will be fine without Stroud even if most of them are all dead since we still have Alistair, Blackwall and our Origins character running around somewhere. However, Hawke dying in heroic fashion does so much more for the story overall. I want to kill off Hawke but I have hard time justifying Stroud living in his stead..

OmahaChief
11-29-2014, 12:52 PM
Ran into an area last night that had some baby dragons and then this big momma swoops down from the sky and rains a fireball on my guys. My little level 4 guys did not make it. Not sure what level of team it will take to go in there but I don't think I will be back there for a while. It is in the hinterlands and in Lady Shaynas Valley

Javabean
11-30-2014, 02:33 AM
OK guys, I didn't play #2 but if you've finished The Fade part in this game and Alistair is king..

Hawke or Stroud? On one hand, the Wardens will be fine without Stroud even if most of them are all dead since we still have Alistair, Blackwall and our Origins character running around somewhere. However, Hawke dying in heroic fashion does so much more for the story overall. I want to kill off Hawke but I have hard time justifying Stroud living in his stead..

I just did this part today, and I left Stroud. I thought the Wardens were in large part responsible for that mess, so a Warden should have to make the sacrifice to end it. Plus, *my* Hawke's story wasn't about to end there. He has more stuff to do.

Fish
12-01-2014, 01:49 PM
FYI.... you can get DA: Inquisition today for $44.99:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_8524689011_gb1h_img_c-2_7042_5ecdfb27?rh=i%3Avideogames%2Cn%3A8524689011&ie=UTF8&node=8524689011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Only valid today!

Beef Supreme
12-01-2014, 04:25 PM
I will admit that after my initial pissed off reaction to some of the elements of this game that I have ended up playing the shit out of it. I'm still tired as hell of the generic swords and sorcery schtick, but the game does have a lot going for it.

keg in kc
12-01-2014, 06:55 PM
I had family in town for a week so have barely touched it after playing an insane amount the week it launched. And now a SWTOR expansion hits tomorrow, followed by a Destiny expansion next week. I need 35 hour days to get all my gaming in.

Fish
12-04-2014, 05:45 PM
The keyboard and mouse controls for this game make me want to drown puppies. JFC... Using multiple monitors, and there's currently no way to confine the mouse pointer to the monitor I'm playing on short of loading a 3rd party mouse application focus app. If I go beyond the monitor edge, the mouse pointer jumps over to another monitor while my characters sits there getting buttfucked by a Desire Demon. And the tactical camera manipulation is frustrating as fuck. Every single tree limb, leaf, or what the fuck ever, is always in the way. Why can't they give you a clear view from the camera angle you're using? I'm wasting lots of time just swiveling the camera angle around just to get a clear view of battle. No wonder they're commenting so much on the long play time. Half of it is dealing with the shitty UI.

Note that the story, graphics, conversation, battles are all exceeding expectations. But fuck me the keyboard and mouse control is maddening.....

keg in kc
12-04-2014, 07:20 PM
No wonder they're commenting so much on the long play time. Half of it is dealing with the shitty UI. I'm not sure I'd go that far. I've barely used tactical camera playing on normal (dragon fights mostly...) and I'm already around 90 hours with at least 4 main quests and 3 areas to clear. Now, I'm a completely OCD completionist, have to clear every inch of every map, find every lore item, etc, but that's a ton of time...

I have a friend who raced through it on casual on a ps4, who I'm guessing missed a ton of stuff. Still took him 75 hours.

The game's gigantic, whatever the situation with the UI may be...

Javabean
12-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I hated the mouse and keyboard, too. I switched to an XBox controller, and it's been a whole different game.

keg in kc
12-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Funny bit from an awards show last night (they won GOTY and RPGOTY):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yMVSWoUyZrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cookster50
12-16-2014, 07:29 AM
I've played this game more in the past few weeks than all other games all year combined. Haven't even progressed the main story to far yet. A+++++

Ragged Robin
12-16-2014, 09:39 AM
I beat it (84 hours total). Storywise, Origins beats it by a longshot and it isn't even remotely close.

keg in kc
12-16-2014, 10:44 AM
I haven't beaten it yet, about 100 hours in and still have 2.5 more areas to clear (graves, wastes, emprise) and I think 3 story missions. The only part I haven't loved was the dance, and I think that's more about me: just not something I'd ever like. Otherwise it's my favorite game since kotor ten years ago.

HC_Chief
12-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Thread is tl;dr... I loved DA 1, hated DA 2. I mean, truly despised the second installment (f*ck you, EA, for turning a great adventure game into a crappy hack & slash "action" title).

Is this installment more like the first DA, or does it continue with the piss-poor design of the second?

Thanks in advance.

keg in kc
12-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Easiest way to describe it would be the best of both. It's a gigantic game (like unbelievably huge - Baldur's Gate scale but not 2d isometric) with story and characters more like 1 than 2. Combat is more like 2. It has some elements all its own like a complex crafting system and the war table and keeps.

Most of the issues with 2 are gone. No repeated areas, combat is still slashy but less so (caveat: I enjoyed 2's combat more than 1's; thought origins was a little too slow), the dialogue is better. There's been a lot of complaint about the pc ui, that it's too much of a console port, but I haven't had any issues adjusting to anything.

I think it's essentially what they wanted origins to be, from a design standpoint. They just didn't have the engine for it until now.

In any case, I think it's really good. Whereas, while I never hated da2 or thought it deserved the outrageous negative reaction it got, the sequel was more of an okay/playable game, but no masterpiece on any scale. Inquisition is a legit game of the year candidate in any genre and one of the best rpg's in years.

The Franchise
01-08-2015, 03:13 PM
What kind of race/class is everyone playing?

Ragged Robin
01-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Thread is tl;dr... I loved DA 1, hated DA 2. I mean, truly despised the second installment (**** you, EA, for turning a great adventure game into a crappy hack & slash "action" title).

Is this installment more like the first DA, or does it continue with the piss-poor design of the second?

Thanks in advance.

I fucking loved Origins and played through it twice, second time with mods. I usually NEVER do this for RPGs and it's 9 times out of 10 one play through and uninstall forever for me so that's quite an achievement.

After playing the expansion (Awakening), I thought it was complete and utter shit so when DA2 came around, it looked more of the same so I didn't ever give it a shot so I can't speak for DA2, but Inquisition is certainly not the quality of story you get in Origins and most of it seems to be directly tied to what happened in DA2, but there's a shit ton of things to do and the gameplay is pretty fun. For me it starts and ends with the story though for these types of games, I don't really care about anything else as long as it's serviceable and Inquisition was pretty disappointing in that regard.

What kind of race/class is everyone playing?

human/rogue

keg in kc
01-09-2015, 12:09 PM
First play male human mage. Second female elf rogue.

The Franchise
01-09-2015, 12:14 PM
First play male human mage. Second female elf rogue.

Are you playing simultaneously or did you beat it with the mage and then go back for the 2nd playthrough?

I'm a human rogue archer right now....but mage looks kind of interesting. I don't usually play as a mage in these types of games.

keg in kc
01-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Haven't finished with the mage, have created the rogue but barely started. I always play a mage first, for whatever reason.

The Franchise
01-09-2015, 12:28 PM
I tried the first playthrough as a warrior and just couldn't get into it. I deleted it after a couple of hours.

keg in kc
01-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Never been a fan of the whole warrior/fighter archetype in games, for whatever reason.

alexfan
01-09-2015, 01:03 PM
they totally revamped the tactics/fighting system...terrible

The Franchise
01-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Never been a fan of the whole warrior/fighter archetype in games, for whatever reason.

It works in other games....just not so much in this game.

keg in kc
02-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Not a big surprise, but got our first confirmation via twitter this weekend that they're working on the first DLC. No details on what it is yet.Adam Fondark @Fondragon Feb 7

@BioMarkDarrah Will any kind of dlc release soon?
0 replies 1 retweet 1 favorite

Mark Darrah @BioMarkDarrah

@Fondragon working on it... We will discuss once we are more locked down

The Franchise
02-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Am I missing something or does Iron Bull fucking suck? Every time I put him in my party.....dude soaks up half of my health potions.

Fish
05-14-2015, 03:45 PM
FYI.... Dragon Age PC for $29. Normally $59....

Other platforms also on sale..

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Inquisition-PC/dp/B00JUHZBRG/ref=br_lf_m_11442809011_1_23_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=2091507622&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=11442809011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XYKS476BX3TJT82ESXN

GloucesterChief
05-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Am I missing something or does Iron Bull ****ing suck? Every time I put him in my party.....dude soaks up half of my health potions.

If you are using him as a tank you are using him incorrectly. He is a damage dealer. Blackwall and Cassandra are better tanks.

keg in kc
08-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Just a general FYI: the first dlc is on sale on Origin right now for 30% off ($10.49 total, down from $14.99).

Looks like we'll be getting official word on the second dlc soon.

keg in kc
08-05-2015, 10:45 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N_L4qyvxAFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NWTF
08-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Ran into an area last night that had some baby dragons and then this big momma swoops down from the sky and rains a fireball on my guys. My little level 4 guys did not make it. Not sure what level of team it will take to go in there but I don't think I will be back there for a while. It is in the hinterlands and in Lady Shaynas Valley

This reminds me, I need to go back and kill that dragon.

I encountered that same scenario at level 7 or 8 and didnt stand a chance.

keg in kc
08-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Holy shit, they're about to announce another dlc coming out in a week-and-a-half, this one post-game.

keg in kc
08-29-2015, 06:34 PM
So this one marks the end of Inquisition, takes place two years after the conclusion of the vanilla game, lets you catch up (and re-recruit, I assume) all the old followers. The big bad is the Qunari.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bUQKGFMfXx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
08-29-2015, 11:29 PM
Hmmm.... Solas at the end.....