PDA

View Full Version : Misc Things Chiefs Need to Change for Success

Sorter
09-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Here are some of mine, add what you see fit. I think most of us are in agreement on the first 3. The 4th is interesting to me because there are some who want us to switch back to the 4-3.

1. New QB. Geno Smith, Tyler Wilson, or Matt Barkley.
2. New Head Coach: Rod Chudzinski, Mike Zimmer, Vic Fangio would all be good candidates.
3. New GM: Eric DeCosta
4. Switch from the 2-gap to the 1-gap. Put Poe at RDE, move Dorsey to LDE or draft a replacement if he walks and start Powe at NT. To me, the 1-gap gives us the best chance to maximize our talent and start getting pressure from our base 3-4 front. We NEVER get pressure from our base alignment, a 3-4 odd front due to our line playing the 2-gap. I want penetrating D-Lineman who are athletic, quick, and nasty.
5. A new inside LB that can cover. I love what Belcher does for this team in run-support but he gets victimized in coverage too many times.

Graystoke
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
6. Hunts sell Franchise

Bowser
09-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Here are some of mine, add what you see fit. I think most of us are in agreement on the first 3. The 4th is interesting to me because there are some who want us to switch back to the 4-3.

2. New Head Coach: Rod Chudzinski, Mike Zimmer, Vic Fangio would all be good candidates.
4. Switch from the 2-gap to the 1-gap. Put Poe at RDE, move Dorsey to LDE or draft a replacement if he walks and start Powe at NT. To me, the 1-gap gives us the best chance to maximize our talent and start getting pressure from our base 3-4 front. We NEVER get pressure from our base alignment, a 3-4 odd front due to our line playing the 2-gap. I want penetrating D-Lineman who are athletic, quick, and nasty.
5. A new inside LB that can cover. I love what Belcher does for this team in run-support but he gets victimized in coverage too many times.

6. Hunts sell Franchise

All of this.

In58men
09-17-2012, 12:12 PM
This team is just awful, very hard to watch. It's more of a comedy show than a football game.

Chiefnj2
09-17-2012, 12:13 PM
1. Get rid of Pioli.

He's had 4 years to make his mark. He's stepped in crap and gotten it all over the carpets of Arrowhead.

Bane
09-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Score at least 1 more point than the other team.

Sorter
09-17-2012, 12:16 PM
6. Hunts sell Franchise

How I felt at first reading this post :

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9x58eZVpT1rsw1yf.gif

How I felt after, knowing that A) It won't happen and B) It would result in the best ownership for the Chiefs that we'll never get

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mabg8xMgkX1qmje97.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_magdsz28A71rggdkgo1_400.gif

In58men
09-17-2012, 12:19 PM
1. Hunt needs to open his wallet first.

BoneKrusher
09-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Forget the Patriot Way and the Parcells Tree.

saphojunkie
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM

I would add Rob Ryan to the list of HC candidates. I'd love to see that defensive scheme in KC.

You know what sucks about all of this? It's what makes it great.

All of this could happen within a couple of months. They need to fire Pioli and Crennel during the season, so that all of these candidates know the position is open and plan accordingly.

As much as I've complained about getting a QB in the first round, I'm just not sure there is a guy coming out this year that is worth it. No one seems to be a genuine talent at the position.

I might rather draft the best pass rusher and take a guy at the top of the 2nd, a la Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick/Brees.

Granted, that is also a la Kevin Kolb. So wtf do I know?

BigMeatballDave
09-17-2012, 12:29 PM
DeCosta would be great but I doubt Baltimore would even let him interview.

BoneKrusher
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Burn all Playbooks

saphojunkie
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
DeCosta would be great but I doubt Baltimore would even let him interview.

They can't stop him. Teams can't block a guy from interviewing for a promotion.

Sorter
09-17-2012, 12:38 PM
I would add Rob Ryan to the list of HC candidates. I'd love to see that defensive scheme in KC.

You know what sucks about all of this? It's what makes it great.

All of this could happen within a couple of months. They need to fire Pioli and Crennel during the season, so that all of these candidates know the position is open and plan accordingly.

As much as I've complained about getting a QB in the first round, I'm just not sure there is a guy coming out this year that is worth it. No one seems to be a genuine talent at the position.

I might rather draft the best pass rusher and take a guy at the top of the 2nd, a la Andy Dalton/Colin Kaepernick/Brees.

Rob Ryan would be okay. I'd rather have the others I mentioned, but it wouldn't be any worse than what we've had recently.

Smith, Wilson, and Barkley are all 1st round talent. Smith is the only one IMO who has talent similar to RG3, Luck, or Stafford.

As for taking the best pass rusher, normally I'm all for it. I wanted Mercilus, Ingram, etc. last year to have at least 3 guys who can legitimately rush the passer on the team. I think this year, you have to take a QB in the 1st round. Take the best CB prospect in the 2nd or the best available pass rusher and then the other in the 3rd if your draft philosophy is drafting by need.

Sorter
09-17-2012, 12:38 PM

http://pichars.org/store/8339_original_YesJackNicholson.gif

BigMeatballDave
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Yes, they can.

The Chiefs wouldn't allow teams to contact Zorn.

Sorter
09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
I don't believe they were interviewing him for an OC job. Pretty sure it was for QB coach.

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
I don't know why people are down on 2 gap.

Our biggest problems are we have a huge liability at nose tackle, which we all know is critically important. We have a soft team playing with no discipline which is a coaching problem.. And we have a poor scheme because we have no defensive coordinator.

These are problems we'd have regardless of whether we played a 2 gap.

the Talking Can
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
As much as I've complained about getting a QB in the first round, I'm just not sure there is a guy coming out this year that is worth it.

and it begins....

Chief Henry
09-17-2012, 12:57 PM
6. Hunts sell Franchise

this

saphojunkie
09-17-2012, 12:59 PM
and it begins....

God I hope I'm wrong. Even of there isn't a luck or rg3 in this draft, there will be an upgrade.

mr. tegu
09-17-2012, 01:00 PM
I love Barkley and will wait a little longer on Geno Smith until they play a college game this season. Although his completion % is really good. And Tyler Wilson is nothing I want anywhere near this team. I just don't see a very good arm, especially on accuracy and with a year out...no thanks. I wanted RG3 so bad :huh:

mr. tegu
09-17-2012, 01:01 PM
God I hope I'm wrong. Even of there isn't a luck or rg3 in this draft, there will be an upgrade.

Barkley is legit right now. The others have some more to prove a la RG3 last season. What I loved most about RG3 was his pinpoint accuracy on the deep ball and his amazing athletic ability.

htismaqe
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't know why people are down on 2 gap.

Our biggest problems are we have a huge liability at nose tackle, which we all know is critically important. We have a soft team playing with no discipline which is a coaching problem.. And we have a poor scheme because we have no defensive coordinator.

These are problems we'd have regardless of whether we played a 2 gap.

The best 3-4 defenses in the league play 1-gap.

The 2-gap defense is based on maintaining your responsibilities - hold the point here here and here and you'll stop the offense. The modern NFL is slanted so thoroughly in favor of the passing game that it's just not possible to play passive defense anymore. The modern game just doesn't allow for it to work.

The best 3-4 defenses give up yards and occasional big plays. They also make big plays at critical times and give the ball back to the offense.

BigMeatballDave
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm just not sure there is a guy coming out this year that is worth it. No one seems to be a genuine talent at the position.

http://memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Brock
09-17-2012, 01:19 PM
We need to draft a QB, just not next year. The year after that there's a lot of blue chip prospects coming out.

MIAdragon
09-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Sure they can if the guys under contract they can do what ever they want.

threebag
09-17-2012, 01:23 PM
6. Hunts sell Franchise

Fuck that David Glass or some cocksmoker will buy the CHIEFS

lcarus
It's really this simple. Get a competent GM, head coach, and draft a good young QB. Lets try that and see how it goes.

DeezNutz

There are a shit ton of talented QBs coming out. Barkley and Smith to name a few. I'd take either right now.

Dayze
they can interview him as long as it's for a promotion in position etc.
if I recalll. not lateral moves.

BoneKrusher
09-17-2012, 01:24 PM
It's really this simple. Get a competent GM, head coach, and draft a good young QB. Lets try that and see how it goes.

this^ :thumb:

htismaqe
09-17-2012, 01:25 PM
I think Smith is the next big thing. The NFL is evolving and guys like Newton and RG3 are going to become more and more common.

saphojunkie
09-17-2012, 01:27 PM
http://memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I am ruined by the embarassment of QB riches in the 2012 draft. 2013 doesn't compare, but if people think Geno Smith or Barkley are legit, far be it from me to argue.

There are a shit ton of talented QBs coming out. Barkley and Smith to name a few. I'd take either right now.

Alright then! Let's do this thing.

Any thoughts on Bray/Wilson/Logan Thomas?

DeezNutz
09-17-2012, 01:27 PM
I think Smith is the next big thing. The NFL is evolving and guys like Newton and RG3 are going to become more and more common.

Yep. Enormous, athletic, big arm. Great prospect.

Dayze
09-17-2012, 01:30 PM
hire a head coach; let him draft a QB; and hitch them together. One fails, they both fail.
they either succeed, or dont'.
I think Holmgren told Favre when when he was starting his first year that he had his back; and if he failed, Mike would've failed. So in essence, 'you're my guy and we will succeed'

saphojunkie
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Yes, they can.

They are allowed to block positional coaches from interviewing to be coordinators, but not from interviewing to be head coaches.

saphojunkie
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Yep. Enormous, athletic, big arm. Great prospect.

Geno Smith isn't enormous, is he? Logan Thomas is 6'5 250, but Geno is listed at 6'2 208.

Haven't seen him play, though. How is the accuracy/arm strength?

DeezNutz
09-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Geno Smith isn't enormous, is he? Logan Thomas is 6'5 250, but Geno is listed at 6'2 208.

You're right. Thought he weighed more. Build is there for more muscle mass, though, and he's listed a bit taller 6'3" (which well could be inflated).

Accuracy is a strength. The only question with Smith will be if he's off the board when the Chiefs pick. Dude looks legit.

Bray is very interesting. Body type looks a little frail, but he's a great prospect. No thanks on Thomas.

Sorter
09-17-2012, 01:39 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GB5OW9i7KHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qvrXu9Fsvpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5vRf-4CbWVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From this year
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bZo__7PRl8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

saphojunkie
09-17-2012, 01:43 PM
When his feet are set, yeah - dude has some really really nice throws.

Doesn't seem to always step up in the pocket though. That can be fixed, hopefully.

Hoover
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
The Chiefs need a coach that will instill toughness.

We have loads of talent, but just can't get everyone focused.

I also never, EVER, want a HC that also coordinates offense, defense, or special teams.

T-post Tom
09-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Like the options presented here. Only thing I'd add is that the 4-3 might be a better scheme for the defense. Most, if not all, of the players were in a 4-3 in college. Dorsey, Jackson, Hali and Poe all played in a 4-3, IIRC. Also, agree completely that HC should NOT be the DC or OC under any circumstances.

CoMoChief
09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Yes, they can.

Chiefs can only say no if it's for the same level position (or lower).

If it's a promotion (QB coach to OC, or OC to HC) Chiefs' hands are tied and they can't stop any coach from interviewing.

MahiMike
09-17-2012, 03:04 PM
6. Hunts sell Franchise

Moves to L.A. Superbowl win in 2017.

mr. tegu
09-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I am ruined by the embarassment of QB riches in the 2012 draft. 2013 doesn't compare, but if people think Geno Smith or Barkley are legit, far be it from me to argue.

Alright then! Let's do this thing.

Any thoughts on Bray/Wilson/Logan Thomas?

Embarrasment of riches? Who else besides Luck and RG3?

mr. tegu
09-17-2012, 03:27 PM
You're right. Thought he weighed more. Build is there for more muscle mass, though, and he's listed a bit taller 6'3" (which well could be inflated).

Accuracy is a strength. The only question with Smith will be if he's off the board when the Chiefs pick. Dude looks legit.

Bray is very interesting. Body type looks a little frail, but he's a great prospect. No thanks on Thomas.

I agree on Thomas and will add that Bray is not even close to worthy of being a first round pick. When was the last time anyone said to themselves, "man the Tennessee offense is scary!" It doesn't happen. I will say again, last season he had a 49.3% completion rate in the conference and on the season was only 59.5%.

Can he get better, sure. But in three games so far this season he is par for the course. Really good against a scrub Georgia St., mediocre against another BCS school NC State, and horrible against Florida.

saphojunkie
09-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Embarrasment of riches? Who else besides Luck and RG3?

Wilson. He is a game changer. The fact that people overlooked his so ****ing obvious playmaking ability, purely because he is 5'10 is infuriating.

Cousins and Foles appear to be excellent young players that have the potential to develop into legit starters.

Some argued Tannehill is like that too, which might have been true, but I hate how he's being developed in Miami.

And then there's Weeden... who knows about him.

But I think that having TWO prospects that are as close to locks as Luck and RG3 are in the same draft, combined with Peyton Manning as a free agent, it's embarrassing that the Chiefs made no move other than Brady Quinn and Alex Tanney.

Ceej
09-17-2012, 03:42 PM
1. Get rid of Pioli.

He's had 4 years to make his mark. He's stepped in crap and gotten it all over the carpets of Arrowhead.

It's too bad they're too cheap for laminate or hardwood.

I can't imagine it is too much fun cleaning shit from carpet.

Dayze
09-17-2012, 03:43 PM
clark would just replace the carpet, and keep the dog who caused the poop

mr. tegu
09-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Wilson. He is a game changer. The fact that people overlooked his so ****ing obvious playmaking ability, purely because he is 5'10 is infuriating.

Cousins and Foles appear to be excellent young players that have the potential to develop into legit starters.

We shall see on Wilson. If the Chiefs have taught us anything so far is that you can't tell if a QB is good because he played us. He won the job playing scrubs and cemented the job playing us.

And what exactly do you base your analysis of Cousinns and Foles on?

Some argued Tannehill is like that too, which might have been true, but I hate how he's being developed in Miami.

And then there's Weeden... who knows about him.

But I think that having TWO prospects that are as close to locks as Luck and RG3 are in the same draft, combined with Peyton Manning as a free agent, it's embarrassing that the Chiefs made no move other than Brady Quinn and Alex Tanney.

Tannehill sucks. Weeden will probably spend a few years starting in Cleveland only to become a backup. Luck and RG3 are the only ones I see as franchise changers so far.

Ceej
09-17-2012, 03:46 PM
clark would just replace the carpet, and keep the dog who caused the poop

LMAO

Who doesn't love poopy smelling carpet?

You know what I say??

FUCK CARPET!

bevischief
09-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Anyone not named Cassel.

saphojunkie
09-17-2012, 03:55 PM
We shall see on Wilson. If the Chiefs have taught us anything so far is that you can't tell if a QB is good because he played us. He won the job playing scrubs and cemented the job playing us.

My faith in Wilson will not be shaken.

And what exactly do you base your analysis of Cousinns and Foles on?

Oh, dude, purely on preseason

Tannehill sucks. Weeden will probably spend a few years starting in Cleveland only to become a backup. Luck and RG3 are the only ones I see as franchise changers so far.

Tannehill should have sat behind Moore. So stupid to throw him out there. I agree with Weeden. Why the HELL they didn't draft Blackmon to go with Weeden is beyond me. You have a limited amount of time to develop Weeden. Ya think it might help if you had the WR with whom he just spent three years developing chemistry on your team?

Luck, RG3, Wilson, and Foles. I'm saying that all are starters in 2014. Maybe Cousins, too, after Shannahan trades him.