PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Privacy Fence

TrebMaxx
09-17-2012, 01:23 PM
This weekend my neighbor that lives behind me stopped by to let me know that he was planning on removing his fence. My fences ties into his and was put up by the previous owner. Once he takes his fence down I am going to be left with a 63 ' gap that I will need to replace. Unfortunately the fence he is taking down is in such bad shape that I can't even offer to take ownership, it needs replaced.

Here's the question to any experts out there. What is a fair price that I should be looking at for installation of 63 feet, standard treated 6 foot privacy fence? I called one company for an estimate and he shot off $750 dollars. Seems a bit high to me.

BWillie
09-17-2012, 01:30 PM
This weekend my neighbor that lives behind me stopped by to let me know that he was planning on removing his fence. My fences ties into his and was put up by the previous owner. Once he takes his fence down I am going to be left with a 63 ' gap that I will need to replace. Unfortunately the fence he is taking down is in such bad shape that I can't even offer to take ownership, it needs replaced.

Here's the question to any experts out there. What is a fair price that I should be looking at for installation of 63 feet, standard treated 6 foot privacy fence? I called one company for an estimate and he shot off $750 dollars. Seems a bit high to me.

$750 for 63 feet of privacy fence? That is an excellent price. Take it and run.

DeezNutz
09-17-2012, 01:32 PM
For cedar? That price would be a steal.

Expect around $15 per foot.

RockChalk
09-17-2012, 01:32 PM

This.

For emphasis, again, this.

vailpass
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM

This. You can hardly buy materials for a 63 foot fence for $750.00.
You sure that's material and labor? What kind of materials?

It's easy to do it yourself with pre-built treated wood sections though.

Fire Me Boy!
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM

Yeah, $750 seems pretty good to me.

Frazod
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Shit, up here you'd probably get charged $750 just for them to show up.

redfan
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Hire $750 guy immediately, if he's worth a darn.

TrebMaxx
09-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the input. I did a little more research and found that 12-13 dollars per foot in my area is the going rate. The guy that did the estimate put my current fence up so I will most likely go with him.

DJ's left nut
09-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Do NOT use James Fence Company.

I don't recall exactly what they charge, but every shitty fence in Columbia, MO (y'know, the ones with the rotting planks and lopsided posts that were assembled using the cheapest, shittiest staples that could be found rather than nails) was built by those guys.

They're almost always the cheapest bid, but they do a hideously awful job. You'll be lucky if they bother finding the corner stake for your property line (and God help you if they miss because you'll have to literally threaten them with a lawsuit to get their asses back out there).

James Fence Company suuuuuuucks.

vailpass
09-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the input. I did a little more research and found that 12-13 dollars per foot in my area is the going rate. The guy that did the estimate put my current fence up so I will most likely go with him.

Make sure the wood is treated and he sets his posts below the frost line.

TrebMaxx
09-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Do NOT use James Fence Company.

I don't recall exactly what they charge, but every shitty fence in Columbia, MO (y'know, the ones with the rotting planks and lopsided posts that were assembled using the cheapest, shittiest staples that could be found rather than nails) was built by those guys.

They're almost always the cheapest bid, but they do a hideously awful job. You'll be lucky if they bother finding the corner stake for your property line (and God help you if they miss because you'll have to literally threaten them with a lawsuit to get their asses back out there).

James Fence Company suuuuuuucks.

LMAO You are not the first person to tell me that. I think I will go with Lindsey.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-17-2012, 01:59 PM
just priced 6' cedar privacy fence in Topeka on Friday for a commercial project @ $18/LF

vailpass
09-17-2012, 02:02 PM
I could get you a gang to throw up 60 foot of cinder block fence in half a day for half that cost if you are willing to overlook certain things (and move to Arizona).

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Sounds like a damn good price. Have him put screws in it instead of nails.

vailpass
09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a damn good price. Have him put screws in it instead of nails.

X1000

Pro fence installer won't have to be told.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-17-2012, 02:11 PM
X1000

Pro fence installer won't have to be told.

Well, for $750 I think he's gonna get screwed anyway !

vailpass
09-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Well, for $750 I think he's gonna get screwed anyway !

What you did there Hog Farmer? Be assured, it was seen.

Ming the Merciless
09-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Holy shit, I know its a bit different but in California I can expect about 10 dollars per foot in MATERIALS alone.

If $750 is what you are being charged and you don't have to do any labor, or haul-away, or pick up of anything...WOW...great deal.