PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Best Barbecue joints in America

Barret
09-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Well I was thinking of just adding this to one of the other BBQ threads that was out there but thought something stand alone might be able to help those that aren't in KC find decent BBQ.

http://thechive.com/2012/09/18/hungry-the-best-bbq-joints-in-america-25-photos/

I don't think this is listed as #1 being the best and so forth. But the do have Oklahoma Joe's, Jack Stack and Arthur Bryants so I think the list at least has a good idea of BBQ.

Has anyone ate at any of the other locations that were listed?

Gadzooks
09-18-2012, 04:26 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/22-pappys-smokehouse.jpg?w=500&h=751

Pappy’s Smockhouse – St. Louis – Voted one of the top 101 places to chow down in America by the Travel Channel, the food is affordable and St. Louis Style Ribs are legendary
I've been to #22.
I have no idea if the food is any good. I went to the can before my meal and the cook went in a left without washing his hands. Needless to say I left without trying the "Ball Cheese Special".

Luke Warm
09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
My favorite restaurant is Sonnys BBQ.

In58men
09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Famous Dave's

Aries Walker
09-18-2012, 04:55 PM
The Salt Lick Bar-b-que in Driftwood, Texas. I order meat and sauce from there for the family every Christmas.

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

You walk past the cows on the way in. Just inside the door, there's what used to be another one, on a fire pit the size of a decent-sized swimming pool. Grab a picnic table, pay one set amount, and they keep bringing you meat until you give up or die. It's heaven.

Molitoth
09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Famous Dave's

:spock:

XXXshogunXXX
09-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Well I was thinking of just adding this to one of the other BBQ threads that was out there but thought something stand alone might be able to help those that aren't in KC find decent BBQ.

http://thechive.com/2012/09/18/hungry-the-best-bbq-joints-in-america-25-photos/

I don't think this is listed as #1 being the best and so forth. But the do have Oklahoma Joe's, Jack Stack and Arthur Bryants so I think the list at least has a good idea of BBQ.

Has anyone ate at any of the other locations that were listed?

Gross, Ive been to the #1 place, the Joint. I was sent to that Navy base for 1 month that you can see right behind the place. That BBQ place is literally a shack, and its filthy and dirty. Louisiana doesnt have heatlth grades, but if it did, I suspect that place would be a C or lower. There is literally 4 or 5 tables in a small room, and the dining area (if thats what you would call it) is disgusting. The kitchen eases into the dining area and there were dirty pots and filth every where. I never thought this little shack could make it a on a top 1000 anything list.

When I did eat I wasn't comfortable. I was picturing roaches crawling around in the kitchen and the cooks just brushing it off. The joint had a texas chainsaw massacre vibe to it.

REDHOTGTO
09-18-2012, 07:24 PM
best BBQ i ever ate in my 48 years? SMOKIN DAVES in estes park, colorado
i have eaten bbq all over kc and nuttin can touch this place. try it.

Toadkiller
09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
#25 Podnahs here in Portland. It is ok, you dont get very much and it is expensive, and it aint not KC bbq that is for sure. I can do just as well with my smoker and sauce.

They did have a good prime rib special on friday nights, I also hear their breakfast is pretty good.

dtebbe
09-18-2012, 07:41 PM
This is that big-ass beef rib I was talking about at Fox Bros in ATL:

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/6-fox-bros.jpg

DT

Sorter
09-18-2012, 07:50 PM
best BBQ i ever ate in my 48 years? SMOKIN DAVES in estes park, colorado
i have eaten bbq all over kc and nuttin can touch this place. try it.

Yeah, no.

It isn't close to Arthur Bryants, Joe's or Jack Stack.
Not even remotely.

gblowfish
09-18-2012, 07:56 PM
There's six or seven more BBQ places in KC that should be on that list. If you're going to do a top 25 probably 10 to 12 of those places would be in KC or right outside KC. Where's LCs, or Gates, or Big Ts, or Snead's, or Smokin Guns, or Zarda's, or Woodyard, or Rosedale? etc etc etc etc.

Fishpicker
09-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Cox Brothers' BBQ (http://www.coxbbq.com/) is damn good. They have the best baked beans and macaroni.

DaKCMan AP
09-18-2012, 08:00 PM

:shake:

LOCOChief
09-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Sonnys is all we have down here. Fridays $10.99 baby backs with 2 sides and corn bread aint bad but I've been missing that Summit Hickory Pitt, LC's and Winslows for a while now.

In58men
09-18-2012, 08:12 PM
:spock:

I forgot the "lol" or "jk"

Bewbies
09-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Fox Bros is the best in Atlanta for sure, but this list seems to be missing Memphis?

Luke Warm
09-18-2012, 09:12 PM
:shake:

Their dry rub ribs are delicious.

AustinChief
09-18-2012, 09:36 PM
There's six or seven more BBQ places in KC that should be on that list. If you're going to do a top 25 probably 10 to 12 of those places would be in KC or right outside KC. Where's LCs, or Gates, or Big Ts, or Snead's, or Smokin Guns, or Zarda's, or Woodyard, or Rosedale? etc etc etc etc.

If not more than 10 or 12. The Salt Lick and some of the other Texas ones on the list are just gross (sorry Aries). Kreuz's is good (most often considered best in Texas) and I doubt it would break into the top 10 in KC.

I know many will disagree but if you judge SOLELY on the quality of the food itself, Jack Stack is a runaway #1 for me. If you go with overall experience, I did love some Lil Jake's back in the day.

Reaper16
09-18-2012, 09:37 PM
If not more than 10 or 12. The Salt Lick and some of the other Texas ones on the list are just gross (sorry Aries). Kreuz's is good (most often considered best in Texas) and I doubt it would break into the top 10 in KC.

I know many will disagree but if you judge SOLELY on the quality of the food itself, Jack Stack is a runaway #1 for me. If you go with overall experience, I did love some Lil Jake's back in the day.

What's your take on Franklin Barbecue?

Dave Lane
09-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Disgusting

Shag
09-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Oklahoma Joe's and Franklin's (Austin, TX) are my two top joints. Joe's was a runaway favorite until I hit Franklin's a few weeks ago, which ran neck-and-neck with Joe's for me. I'd take OJ for the burnt ends and pulled pork, and Franklin's for the brisket...

Luke Warm
09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Disgusting

Delicious.

AustinChief
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM

You know.. the funny thing is.. it is RIGHT down the road and I've never been! I keep meaning to go but just never seem to remember. I have walked past the building probably 2 dozen times in the last couple years(it's only been open a couple years now).

Reaper16
09-18-2012, 10:36 PM
You know.. the funny thing is.. it is RIGHT down the road and I've never been! I keep meaning to go but just never seem to remember. I have walked past the building probably 2 dozen times in the last couple years(it's only been open a couple years now).

Dude. You've got to. I've been hearing superb things for years now about that place (and recently the New York media seems to have caught onto Franklin's hype). I've never been to the fair city of Austin, but Franklin will be my very first stop when I do get to go.

WV
09-18-2012, 11:59 PM
The Salt Lick Bar-b-que in Driftwood, Texas. I order meat and sauce from there for the family every Christmas.

You walk past the cows on the way in. Just inside the door, there's what used to be another one, on a fire pit the size of a decent-sized swimming pool. Grab a picnic table, pay one set amount, and they keep bringing you meat until you give up or die. It's heaven.

I agree with you, it's hands down the best barbeque I've ever had but it isn't well received on here. This place is full of KC barbeque snobs...:evil:

To be fair, I've never had KC barbeque but I generally prefer texas style (dry) over KC, Carolina, or Memphis (wet).

cdcox
09-19-2012, 12:07 AM

If it were really good Q, it would smell so damn good you would forget whatever else you were doing and go inside. Every time I drive past a place that smells really good, I'm filled with deep regret.

KC native
09-19-2012, 12:13 AM
I agree with you, it's hands down the best barbeque I've ever had but it isn't well received on here. This place is full of KC barbeque snobs...:evil:

To be fair, I've never had KC barbeque but I generally prefer texas style (dry) over KC, Carolina, or Memphis (wet).

Texas BBQ is mostly shit.

Shag
09-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Dude. You've got to. I've been hearing superb things for years now about that place (and recently the New York media seems to have caught onto Franklin's hype). I've never been to the fair city of Austin, but Franklin will be my very first stop when I do get to go.

Speaking from personal experience, it was amazing - the brisket was phenomenal, and the ribs were quite fantastic, as well. My buddy raved about the Tipsy Texan. Was well worth the ~90 minute wait...

Deberg_1990
09-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Ive discovered nearly everywhere i travel, somebody is claiming they have the "Worlds Best BBQ"

Everyones taste buds are different.

htismaqe
09-19-2012, 09:52 AM

I've had BBQ in Texas, KC, St. Louis, Memphis, and Charlotte NC.

I can honestly say that I've had stuff in TX that I would have a hard time saying KC was THAT much better. Same with Memphis.

The only "BBQ Mecca" on the list that doesn't compare is Charlotte. I just can't get into that style of BBQ. The sauce reminds me of Tobasco - if it weren't for the fact that almost every place serves unlimited hushpuppies, it probably wouldn't be worth eating there.

htismaqe
09-19-2012, 09:55 AM

Jack Stack is my overall favorite but Arthur Bryant's burnt ends are my favorite single plate.

htismaqe
09-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Aaron Franklin was a judge on "BBQ Pitmasters" - he got some exposure from that. And the fact that Bon Appetit magazine rated him the #1 BBQ in the United States.

On a side note, we have a REALLY good place up here called Smokey D's. The dude that owns it won the BBQ Pitmasters tournament, the Kingsford trophy, and the $100K grand prize.

L.A. Chieffan
09-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Ive been to Salt Lick in driftwood and even though the food is good it doesnt match KC. Salt Lick is more about the atmosphere with the beer in the bucket and live music under the trees and all that. George mentioned Sneads which is funny because my family used to take me there all the time when I was kid.

Bourdain made a trip to Franklins and made it sound amazing

Shag
09-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Ive been to Salt Lick in driftwood and even though the food is good it doesnt match KC. Salt Lick is more about the atmosphere with the beer in the bucket and live music under the trees and all that. George mentioned Sneads which is funny because my family used to take me there all the time when I was kid.

Bourdain made a trip to Franklins and made it sound amazing

Agreed. I hit Salt Lick the day before Franklin's, and while it wasn't bad, it didn't come close to Franklin's or Oklahoma Joe's...

Fish
09-19-2012, 10:21 AM

How can you call people "Snobs", when you have no basis to judge what they're talking about?

AndChiefs
09-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Texas BBQ is mostly shit.

This.

lcarus
09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
LC's is my favorite BBQ joint.

Dayze
09-19-2012, 11:28 AM
my favorite is Zarda.
~

WV
09-19-2012, 01:42 PM
How can you call people "Snobs", when you have no basis to judge what they're talking about?

Easy...they won't accept any other form of barbeque and no matter the list or opinions, most still maintain that KC barbeque is better. It's all about personal preference with this and most other food type stuff. Most think it inconceivable that there is any barbeque that is any good that doesn't come from KC.

NewChief
09-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Easy...they won't accept any other form of barbeque and no matter the list or opinions, most still maintain that KC barbeque is better. It's all about personal preference with this and most other food type stuff. Most think it inconceivable that there is any barbeque that is any good that doesn't come from KC.

Be kind to them. BBQ and Soccer is all they have left. :evil:

Baby Lee
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM

1. At its most extreme, it is possible to have only eaten barbecue once at the right KC spot and experience flavors so transcendent that one cannot conceive of a better dining experience.

2. It is also entirely possible to have eaten all sorts of foods, yet only have eaten barbecue in Kansas City and then some examples of regional styles that by bad luck happened to be merely mediocre, and decide that KC barbecue is the best meal you've ever eaten.

3. It's still possible, as I can personally attest, to have tried many of the best examples of many many regions, and continue to think that there are a number of places in KC that continue to be a step above.

What you appear to be hinting at is naivete, as opposed to snobbery, as outlined in scenarios 1 and 2. Scenario 3 might indeed be full-on snobbery, but it is informed snobbery.

Fish
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Well, it could very well be true and you wouldn't know.

Sounds like you could use a trip to KC to settle this matter..... :thumb:

Baby Lee
09-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Be kind to them. BBQ and Soccer is all they have left. :evil:

That might have some heft, if it weren't dispatched from the heart of Arkansisterfucker.

WV
09-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Well, it could very well be true and you wouldn't know.

Sounds like you could use a trip to KC to settle this matter..... :thumb:

I would love to and test it out, but as sacrilegious as I know it is...I'm just not a huge barbeque fan to begin with.

I would love to be convinced otherwise though.

Baby Lee
09-19-2012, 02:06 PM
I would love to and test it out, but as sacrilegious as I know it is...I'm just not a huge barbeque fan to begin with.

OK Joe's, slab of ribs, night of the living sauce.

If you brain doesn't melt, you're not human.

3 times in the past 3-4 years we have taken people from out of the area, family/friends from St. Louis, Louisiana, and Texas. Each left with between 3 and 10 jars of the sauce.

Trevo_410
09-19-2012, 02:07 PM
gotta nominate bates city bbq as well....

WV
09-19-2012, 02:08 PM
OK Joe's, slab of ribs, night of the living sauce.

If you brain doesn't melt, you're not human.

3 times in the past 3-4 years we have taken people from out of the area, family/friends from St. Louis, Louisiana, and Texas. Each left with between 3 and 10 jars of the sauce.

I actually checked into ordering that very sauce, but the shipping is prohibitive.

Fish
09-19-2012, 02:09 PM

OK, I was trying to be nice. But now you can just go fuck yourself...

;)

NewChief
09-19-2012, 02:10 PM
That might have some heft, if it weren't dispatched from the heart of Arkansister****er.

Misery loves company.

Are you in KC now instead of St. Louis, btw?

Baby Lee
09-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Misery loves company.

Are you in KC now instead of St. Louis, btw?

No, still in St. Louis, but most of my family is in KC, where I grew up.

Funnily enough, its getting where 'Soooo Pappy's?'* is the first thing out of the mouths of visitors here to Big Derrty, just the same as 'Sooo OK Joe's?' or 'Soooo Jackstack?' is the first thing out of my mouth when I go 'home.'

* - I'm referring to folks who've been there before and are eager to go back, as opposed to those who've just heard about it.

htismaqe
09-19-2012, 02:15 PM
That might have some heft, if it weren't dispatched from the heart of Arkansister****er.

aTEVqGA4C0A

WV
09-19-2012, 02:19 PM
OK, I was trying to be nice. But now you can just go **** yourself...

;)

LMAO

NewChief
09-19-2012, 02:24 PM
No, still in St. Louis, but most of my family is in KC, where I grew up.

Funnily enough, its getting where 'Soooo Pappy's?'* is the first thing out of the mouths of visitors here to Big Derrty, just the same as 'Sooo OK Joe's?' or 'Soooo Jackstack?' is the first thing out of my mouth when I go 'home.'

* - I'm referring to folks who've been there before and are eager to go back, as opposed to those who've just heard about it.

Last time I was there we ate at Farmhaus (http://farmhausrestaurant.com/), and it was amazing.

NewChief
09-19-2012, 02:25 PM
aTEVqGA4C0A

Yeah. Liz. Between her and our interim head coach, people might start thinking that Arkansas breeds crazies...

Err.....

Nevermind...

:banghead:

Baby Lee
09-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Last time I was there we ate at Farmhaus (http://farmhausrestaurant.com/), and it was amazing.

I've heard good things.

It's just a few blocks from Iron Barley, another fave. There's just, . . . something, about that place. Of all things, the Barley itself is what I dream of from there. They stew it into a kind of risotto-esque side dish steeped in pan drippings, beef stock and red wine.

Heaven.

The meats aren't anything exotic, just really good cuts seasoned and roasted JUST RIGHT. You feel like it's home cooking, every time.

NewChief
09-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I've heard good things.

It's just a few blocks from Iron Barley, another fave. There's just, . . . something, about that place. Of all things, the Barley itself is what I dream of from there. They stew it into a kind of risotto-esque side dish steeped in pan drippings, beef stock and red wine.

Heaven.

The meats aren't anything exotic, just really good cuts seasoned and roasted JUST RIGHT. You feel like it's home cooking, every time.

Monte Christo Dog or Ballistic Elvis :drool:

I'll have to check it next time I'm there. My wife's best friend and her husband (he's actually in a band: Tight Pants Syndrome) just had a baby, so we should be up that way before long.

suzzer99
09-19-2012, 02:37 PM

This is the best thing about Salt Lick:

http://imageshack.us/a/img196/3014/saltlickbbqpit.jpg

I spent a good 15 minutes just gazing at it before and after my meal.

Bewbies
09-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Aaron Franklin was a judge on "BBQ Pitmasters" - he got some exposure from that. And the fact that Bon Appetit magazine rated him the #1 BBQ in the United States.

On a side note, we have a REALLY good place up here called Smokey D's. The dude that owns it won the BBQ Pitmasters tournament, the Kingsford trophy, and the $100K grand prize.

Last time I was home my dad took me to Smokey D's--fantastic. I wish that guy would move to Atlanta... :drool:

Baby Lee
09-19-2012, 08:12 PM
I've been to #22.
I have no idea if the food is any good. I went to the can before my meal and the cook went in a left without washing his hands. Needless to say I left without trying the "Ball Cheese Special".

Just remembered a little observation that, for at least a small portion of their menu, but perhaps telling to the rest of their fare [not to say I have been anything but satisfied every time I went there.

As I was leaving the last time we were there, there was an empty box on top of the trash can. Looked a little closer and saw 'Ore-Ida Sweet Potato Fries' stamped on the side.

I haven't tried their fries, so I don't know if they're just buying pre-sliced whole sweet potatoes, or the whole kit and caboodle, [ie precooked, pre-seasoned, etc.]

Luke Warm
09-19-2012, 08:22 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img196/3014/saltlickbbqpit.jpg

I just got a three foot erection

We don't have places like this (that I know of) in Central Florida.

jspchief
09-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Last time I was home my dad took me to Smokey D's--fantastic. I wish that guy would move to Atlanta... :drool:

The Des Moines metro area has a few good bbq places now.

Besides Smokey D's there's Jethro's near Drake, in Clive/WDM, Altoona, and soon Ankeny.

There's a little strip mall place in Johnston called Cactus Bob's with an amazing brisket sandwich. Maybe the best I've ever had.

Then Des Moines itself has Woodys, Flying Mango, and Uncle Wendell's.

Black Bob
09-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Sticky Fingers - Chattanooga, TN has the best ribs I've ever had

Two Brothers BBQ - Ball Ground, GA is my favorite in the South

Heavy's BBQ - Sparta, GA has the best Brunswick Stew

Fox BBQ - Atlanta, GA is the best in Atlanta

kepp
09-20-2012, 07:16 AM
I tried a place in North KC a while back named Smokin' Guns BBQ. It was really good. I'd have to say that's probably my favorite BBQ now.

htismaqe
09-20-2012, 08:17 AM

Besides Smokey D's there's Jethro's near Drake, in Clive/WDM, Altoona, and soon Ankeny.

There's a little strip mall place in Johnston called Cactus Bob's with an amazing brisket sandwich. Maybe the best I've ever had.

Jethro's Alabama sauce is a good change (for anybody wondering, Alabama sauce is a white sauce).

Cactus Bob's cole slaw is unique and one of the best BBQ sides I've had anywhere.

The Flying Mango is flat incredible. I like my ribs dry with a slab of that jalapeno corn bread.

FD
09-20-2012, 09:50 AM

Franklin Barbecue, every time I go, leaves me floored. I truly think that man cooks the best food on the planet.

Not a big fan of Salt Lick. Kreuz, Smitty's and Black's in Lockhart are all excellent in their own ways.

NewChief
09-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Franklin Barbecue, every time I go, leaves me floored. I truly think that man cooks the best food on the planet.

Not a big fan of Salt Lick. Kreuz, Smitty's and Black's in Lockhart are all excellent in their own ways.

My 40th birthday is coming up next year, and we're debating between foodie trips to Austin or New Orleans. All this talk of Franklin is bringing Austin up in the running (one of my best friends also lives there).

lcarus
09-20-2012, 10:05 AM
LCs owns every place listed in this thread. Where else can you find a dirty shack with unfriendly workers who hate white people but still get incredible food?

htismaqe
09-20-2012, 10:14 AM
My 40th birthday is coming up next year, and we're debating between foodie trips to Austin or New Orleans. All this talk of Franklin is bringing Austin up in the running (one of my best friends also lives there).

Dude, that's TOUGH.

The food in New Orleans (crab-stuffed softshell crabs anyone? :drool:) is unbelievable.

Bewbies
09-20-2012, 10:29 AM

I love Jethro's, hot sausage sandwich with hot BBQ plz..

Uncle Wendell's I had before he moved to his new location on Ingersoll, that's a winner too. I think I had Cactus Bob's years ago, haven't had Flying Mango but I have heard great things..

Might have to make it back to DM for the holidays now... LMAO

NewChief
09-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Dude, that's TOUGH.

The food in New Orleans (crab-stuffed softshell crabs anyone? :drool:) is unbelievable.

I know it. I've been to both before for "sight seeing" type stuff, so that isn't really figuring into the equation. It's basically all about food, night life, and entertainment. They're very different as well. New Orleans is all about the tradition, whereas Austin is all about the innovation.

htismaqe
09-20-2012, 10:40 AM
I love Jethro's, hot sausage sandwich with hot BBQ plz..

Uncle Wendell's I had before he moved to his new location on Ingersoll, that's a winner too. I think I had Cactus Bob's years ago, haven't had Flying Mango but I have heard great things..

Might have to make it back to DM for the holidays now... LMAO

If you come back, PM me. I'll take you to the Mango.

htismaqe
09-20-2012, 10:41 AM
I know it. I've been to both before for "sight seeing" type stuff, so that isn't really figuring into the equation. It's basically all about food, night life, and entertainment. They're very different as well. New Orleans is all about the tradition, whereas Austin is all about the innovation.

WOW.

That's REALLY tough. :)

lcarus
09-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Do they still have the LCs that opened in Olathe or Overland Park or wherever it was? I lived in Olathe so I was stoked they were opening an LCs there. Then...it sucked. Bad. I guess without that old black smoker it just isn't the same.

bevischief
09-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Famous Dave's

Sad thing that is best bbq joint up here. You ask the locals about bbq and they are thinking sloppy joes.

shakesthecat
09-20-2012, 10:59 AM
There's a Jethro's about a mile from our house. The place is packed every lunch and dinner, and it baffles me. Their brisket and pulled pork is flat out terrible. I've been there 3 times and it's always dry and flavorless. I guess eating garbage from a place that's been on TV is more important to some people than eating good food.

Flying Mango on the other hand, is outstanding

htismaqe
09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
There's a Jethro's about a mile from our house. The place is packed every lunch and dinner, and it baffles me. Their brisket and pulled pork is flat out terrible. I've been there 3 times and it's always dry and flavorless. I guess eating garbage from a place that's been on TV is more important to some people than eating good food.

Flying Mango on the other hand, is outstanding

Let me guess, you're in Altoona?

The only Jethro's I've ever had is at the original location in the Drake neighborhood and it was very, very good.

htismaqe
09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
By the way, it's beyond time for some of us to get together. :D

shakesthecat
09-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Let me guess, you're in Altoona?

The only Jethro's I've ever had is at the original location in the Drake neighborhood and it was very, very good.

Nope, Waukee. I'll have to give the Drake one a try. Maybe they're using different smokers.

And yeah, I wouldn't mind a DM chapter get together sometime

gblowfish
09-20-2012, 11:32 AM
LCs owns every place listed in this thread. Where else can you find a dirty shack with unfriendly workers who hate white people but still get incredible food?
That's not true.
All the dead presidents on the money are white, and they LOVE seeing them walk in the door!

gblowfish
09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I've heard good things.

Heaven.

One of my best buddies met his wife at Iron Barley. He plays music there quite often. Great dive, it was on "Triple D" a few years ago. Food is wonderful.

htismaqe
09-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Nope, Waukee. I'll have to give the Drake one a try. Maybe their using different smokers.

And yeah, I wouldn't mind a DM chapter get together sometime

I think the one in Waukee is even newer than Altoona. It doesn't surprise me really. I think a lot of BBQ places have trouble reproducing the quality of the original location...