PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Scott Pioli said the Chiefs spent $141 million this year. Something smells fishy

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Chiefs: Is Scott Pioli's math off?

By C.J. Moore | CBSSports.com
September 18, 2012 6:04 pm ET

0 | Comment

Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli believes the Chiefs can still turn the corner after an 0-2 start. "If any one of us knew what the answer was, we wouldn't be sitting where we're sitting right now," Pioli told the Kansas City Star. "But I also don't think it's the end of the world. We have 14 games left." (Getty Images)

Chiefs' general manager Scott Pioli's approval rating in Kansas City is about as low as Royals' owner David Glass. After Kansas City Star columnists Sam Mellinger and Kent Babb wrote columns in Monday's paper blaming the disastrous start on Pioli, Mellinger wrote that they heard from three fans who stood up for the team.

Pioli's damage control, PR crusade began on Tuesday when he went on the record with the Kansas City Star's Adam Teicher to share his thoughts on the Chiefs' 0-2 start.

Pioli said he did not see this coming and also defended the way the team was put together. In particular, the Chiefs have been criticized for under-spending and appearing year in and year out as one of the teams farthest under the salary cap, but Pioli claims he is spending owner Clark Hunt's money.

"I think there are things we did do that helped this football team," Pioli told Teicher. "I also know for a fact that this year alone we're spending over $141 million in cash this year. That's more than $20 million over the cap. It's been proven time and time again that there's not a direct correlation between spending cap dollars and winning. There's not."

Pioli may have a point there (and we'll get to that later), but it is difficult to believe the $141 million figure he threw out. According to cap numbers provided by the NFL on Sept. 7, via Pro Football Talk, the Chiefs were $14.5 million under the cap, meaning they spent approximately $106.1 million.

The Chiefs entered last season with the most cap space available, according to NFL.com. Hunt said in January that the team planned to take advantage of the new CBA by carrying over last season's cap space, which he said was $20 million, to the 2012 number. This was something that 30 teams did in the offseason, and ESPN.com's John Clayton reported in February that the Chiefs had a league-high $62.995 million left to spend.

"The reason that we chose to carry it over is we anticipate needing it in 2012 and 2013, both to continue signing our free agents as well as being able to go out and sign some free agents from outside," Hunt told Steven St. John of Sports Radio 810 WHB in January.

The Chiefs' big free-agent acquisitions were RT Eric Winston, signed to a four-year, $22 million contract, and RB Peyton Hillis, signed to a one-year deal worth $2.8 million. They did not resign CB Brandon Carr, who signed a five-year, $51 million deal with the Cowboys. Instead, they signed CB Stanford Routt for three years and $18 million.

After this season, Kansas City has five starters who will be free agents (LT Branden Albert , RG Ryan Lilja, WR Dwayne Bowe, DE Glenn Dorsey and LB Jovan Belcher). Are they planning to carry over unspent money again to sign them? Possibly. But that's a hard sale for this year.

As for Pioli's stance that spending does not result in winning, the small sample size of 2012 shows otherwise. Out of the six undefeated teams left, four appeared in the top nine teams with the least amount of cap space left on Sept. 7; four of the six winless teams (Kansas City, Tennessee, Jacksonville and Cleveland) are in the bottom six spenders. Last season, seven playoff teams were in the top-half with the least amount of cap space left and five fell in the bottom half.

No matter how it's framed, the dollars the Chiefs spend -- or don't spend -- are a touchy subject in K.C. It's not surprising Pioli would argue that spending doesn't matter and in the next breath say the Chiefs spent $141 million this year.

Pioli's main task in the next few weeks is to convince Kansas City's fans that there is still hope for this team, which he maintains was built the right way.

Patience is what he's preaching. Winning is the only healer.

Urc Burry
09-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Is the author slow? He acknowledges that cap and cash are different, then questions Pioli because the numbers are off.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Is the author slow? He acknowledges that cap and cash are different, then questions Pioli because the numbers are off.

I agree but the only people saying the chiefs spent this much is the chiefs do you trust that?

Sassy Squatch
09-18-2012, 05:03 PM
They should itemize what they have spent and to whom it was paid. Know thats not going to happen but it would be nice.

Titty Meat
09-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Fuck him

Brock
09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Whatever, I bet Pioli has really got his panties in a twist having to lower himself to "explaining" himself. I bet he's got a glowing red ass right now.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Pioliar.

AndChiefs
09-18-2012, 05:12 PM
That $141 million includes paying for food supplies, electricity, water, Gatorade, aspirin, ice, advertising, etc. You think all that comes free?

Urc Burry
09-18-2012, 05:13 PM
I agree but the only people saying the chiefs spent this much is the chiefs do you trust that?

Yeah I do. Not a fan of Pioli at the moment, and I can't find the numbers but I remember seeing @thefilmroom on twitter saying Jamaal made somewhere around $20 million cash in one season. DJ's was similar.

bishop_74
09-18-2012, 05:15 PM
He included his salary in the numbers...

Rasputin
09-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Quite frankly it doesn't matter what they spent. NONE of the players have earned a dime of that money from game days. So the Chiefs didn't spend any of it. They threw a bunch of money in the air and the players got what landed in there pockets.

bishop_74
09-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Quite frankly it doesn't matter what they spent. NONE of the players have earned a dime of that money from game days. So the Chiefs didn't spend any of it. They threw a bunch of money in the air and the players got what landed in there pockets.

Have you ever heard the sound in the cabin of an airplane when the fasten seatbelt turns on???? Yeah....

TEX
09-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Patriot math...

tk13
09-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Who else is going to know? No one. The only guy who is going to be able to accurately answer this question is Pioli and some of the front office people. He's the only one who will know all the bonuses, incentives, the structures of all the contracts, etc.

Marcellus
09-18-2012, 05:43 PM
WTF difference does it make if you are losing?

I have said all along its not that they wont spend $ its that they spend it stupidly.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Actually, the NFL has the Chiefs as one of the highest spending teams this year. No I do not have the link, but it has been posted, maybe someone can find it...

jallmon
09-18-2012, 05:53 PM
That is funny.

jallmon
09-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Whatever, I bet Pioli has really got his panties in a twist having to lower himself to "explaining" himself. I bet he's got a glowing red ass right now.

I meant THIS is funny.

King_Chief_Fan
09-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Then they over paid...duh...

BoneKrusher
09-18-2012, 06:08 PM
if he spent that much i'd like to inform him someones laughing all the way to the bank..

DumbHillbillies
09-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Hate to think about how much cassell's contract accounts for

Chiefnj2
09-18-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap-hit/

ChiefAshhole20
09-18-2012, 06:36 PM
They may be spending a shit ton of money, but them being 20-plus million dollars under the salary cap means they aren't spending enough.

Urc Burry
09-18-2012, 06:37 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap-hit/

That is cap, not cash. Again... Two different things

BoneKrusher
09-18-2012, 06:42 PM
They may be spending a shit ton of money, but them being 20-plus million dollars under the salary cap means they aren't spending enough.

exactly.
Scott sure isn't spending wisely.
Cassel isn't worth 25 dollars a game.

stonedstooge
09-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Funny that a little over a year ago the Salary Floor was implemented to force a few teams including the Cheaps from skimming money off the players side of money provided. Now he says the Cheaps are spending big? Every time the NFL comes out with new Salary Cap numbers Clark says the number is off and too high. Fuck em

tk13
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
We've been doing this for 10 years now. People will never get that the salary cap number does not equal the amount of money the Chiefs spent that year. That doesn't mean they are spending what Pioli says they are... they could be spending less for all we know. But the salary cap number is not pure $$ spent... and every team has a different cap number.

BigRock
09-18-2012, 09:08 PM

The Star was forced to update one of Babb's columns with the spending figures. Or just the ranking, I guess it was, not the actual dollar amounts. But the high ranking and the high dollars would obviously correlate.

Point being, there's no way they did that lightly. The Chiefs supposedly threatened legal action before Babb's candy wrapper article was printed, and the paper didn't back down. I really can't imagine them turning around all of a sudden and going "You want us to print info that makes one of our writers look bad? OK, sure."

So we can probably assume they checked and re-checked it. One would hope they did everything possible to poke holes in it. Well, except operate without a clue like this guy in the OP.

If they got the Star to make a correction, they could end up owning this poor fool's grandkids.

Marcellus
09-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Your name and this post pretty much match. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Just go away.

mdchiefsfan
09-18-2012, 09:33 PM
What is pissing me off about this is the fact that I could give a shit less about the cap, why don't the reporters write articles about the real problem. Draft picks not living up to their expectations, unwillingness to fix the qb position, and how we can't find a legit HC because Pioli is too pig-headed to take a risk.

Rasputin
09-18-2012, 10:13 PM
What is pissing me off about this is the fact that I could give a shit less about the cap, why don't the reporters write articles about the real problem. Draft picks not living up to their expectations, unwillingness to fix the qb position, and how we can't find a legit HC because Pioli is too pig-headed to take a risk.

It was kind of like he didn't have to do any work in search for a HC. Interviews a handful canadates maybe, but doesn't go out of his way. He just settled for Crennel and that was that. I don't think he put any real effort in the search just gave it to Crennel figuring the players would respond to him as coach and in his comfort zone.

Now I don't understand how Crennel gets away with not having a DC. Haley failed with out an OC. Your not promoting any positions this way nor giving a guy an opportunity to as a potential HC canadate for the future.

I kind of think it was out of laziness than pig-headed in his search of HC. jmo.

FAX
09-19-2012, 12:09 AM
It was kind of like he didn't have to do any work in search for a HC. Interviews a handful canadates maybe, but doesn't go out of his way. He just settled for Crennel and that was that. I don't think he put any real effort in the search just gave it to Crennel figuring the players would respond to him as coach and in his comfort zone.

Now I don't understand how Crennel gets away with not having a DC. Haley failed with out an OC. Your not promoting any positions this way nor giving a guy an opportunity to as a potential HC canadate for the future.

I kind of think it was out of laziness than pig-headed in his search of HC. jmo.

I have a suspicion that Crennel told Pioli he wanted the job and if he didn't get the nod, he was going to leave the team.

Pioli, being the oddly insecure dipstick that he is, decided that Romeo wherefore thou needed to be art here so the defense didn't collapse into oblivion.

It's like Job said, "My worst fears hath befallen me."

FAX

New World Order
09-19-2012, 12:10 AM
I am sure Pioli does spend 141 Million... On himself

FAX
09-19-2012, 12:11 AM
I am sure Pioli does spend 141 Million... On himself

Hey, that lasagna isn't going to buy itself.

FAX

gold_and_red
09-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Hey, that lasagna isn't going to buy itself.

FAX

LMAOLMAO
Agreed, definitely includes groceries, personal care, eat out, etc.
Had it not been for a few Costco coupons stolen from Clark's desk that number would be higher!

Cornstock
09-19-2012, 12:44 AM
They should itemize what they have spent and to whom it was paid. Know thats not going to happen but it would be nice.

Getting Pioli to release an itemized list would be like getting Romney to release his tax records...And Off to DC!!!