PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs may have to lower expectations with ACL group

Tribal Warfare
09-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Chiefs may have to lower expectations with ACL group (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/19/3823489/chiefs-may-have-to-lower-expectations.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Running back Jamaal Charles figured there would be some temporary setbacks during his rehabilitation from last season’s torn ACL. That’s what he called the soreness in his left knee that knocked him out of last week’s Chiefs game in Buffalo.

“I feel real good,’’ said Charles, who was listed on Wednesday’s injury report as being a full practice participant. “It was a disappointing game out there, but I feel I’m getting better and better every week, so hopefully I’ll be able to turn it on this week.’’

Charles will play in Sunday’s game against the Saints in New Orleans. So will the other members of last season’s Chiefs ACL club, tight end Tony Moeaki and strong safety Eric Berry.

But coach Romeo Crennel sounded as if the Chiefs were lowering their expectations for the group, not just against New Orleans but also for the longer term.

“Those guys are playing and they’re practicing, and so they are good enough to play,’’ Crennel said. “Now, whether they’ll ever be back to what they used to be, I don’t know if that’s going to be the case, because they’ve had a reconstruction on the knee. Will it be like it was before the reconstruction? I don’t know that will be the case.

“But that does not keep guys from playing this game.’’

The first two games of the season stand as some evidence that Charles, Moeaki and Berry haven’t returned to what they were before their injuries. Charles against the Bills had statistically his worst game since becoming the featured back midway through the 2009 season. He had three yards on six carries.

Moeaki is fourth on the Chiefs with four catches. Berry, a Pro Bowler as a rookie in 2010, has been a part of one of the NFL’s worst defensive teams.

“He seems to be doing as much as he can do,’’ Crennel said of Berry. “He seems to be doing OK. Tony is doing OK. Jamaal is doing OK. But we — and when I say we I’m talking about myself and my staff — we have to be cognizant of the fact those guys have had major injuries. They are trying to recover from major injuries. It just doesn’t seem smart to just beat the guy’s knee up when you see a guy is limping. That’s not smart to beat him up. If you lose him again, you might not have him at all. There’s a thin line you kind of have to walk sometimes.”

The Chiefs took the side of caution in Buffalo. Charles banged his knee against the artificial turf at Ralph Wilson Stadium at one point. He returned briefly but didn’t play after being removed for good midway through the third quarter.

“As it developed, the other players were doing decent, so we didn’t feel a need to put him back in at that moment,’’ Crennel said.

Charles likened the turf in Buffalo to concrete. His knee hit the turf on one play when he was tackled.

“I got banged up but I went back in the game,’’ he said. “It was basically like a sting and I felt it. I went on the (exercise) bike and I got my feeling back, so I went back in the game. It wasn’t a big deal.’’

Except with Charles in Buffalo, the Chiefs haven’t backed off using any of the three players. Charles played 42 percent of the snaps in the opener against Atlanta. Berry hasn’t missed a defensive snap and also played some on special teams.

Moeaki played more than the other regular tight end, Kevin Boss, even before Boss left the game in Buffalo for good in the second quarter because of a concussion.

Moeaki will get a lot of work in New Orleans because Boss won’t play.

“I’m doing fine,’’ Moeaki said. “It’s just typical in-season soreness.’’

Charles reported the same thing.

“I’m not 100 percent, but when I played a couple of years ago, I wasn’t 100 percent,’’ he said. “Any player feels the same way I feel now: sore. I’m sore every week.

“I don’t want to worry about my knee too much. I just want to go out there and play football.’’

Hammock Parties
09-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Did someone say lowered expectations?

http://i.imgur.com/oO2aa.jpg

Ming the Merciless
09-19-2012, 05:42 PM
well I guess no matter how good the technology gets, there are limits on what the body can do....

bevischief
09-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Seriously the Star did just waste time writing the piece of crap?
:facepalm:

Chiefs Pantalones
09-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I think blaming their injuries is a bit unfair and a little bit of an excuse for the coaching staff and front office. Berry is being used wrong. Charles was fine last week. You can't be as involved when you're down 35-3, let alone 21-3. Moeaki is fine. I think some of it is they are being used wrong by their coaches and the other is rust. Mostly being used wrong by Tard Daboll and RAC. Oh and there's Cassel.

bevischief
09-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I think blaming their injuries is a bit unfair and a little bit of an excuse for the coaching staff and front office. Berry is being used wrong. Charles was fine last week. You can't be as involved when you're down 35-3, let alone 21-3. Moeaki is fine. I think some of it is they are being used wrong by their coaches and the other is rust. Mostly bring used wrong by Tard Daboll and RAC.

I agree. Clean house.

Easy 6
09-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Chiefs may have to lower expectations with ACL group (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/19/3823489/chiefs-may-have-to-lower-expectations.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

“He seems to be doing as much as he can do,’’ Crennel said of Berry. “He seems to be doing OK. Tony is doing OK. Jamaal is doing OK. But we — and when I say we I’m talking about myself and my staff — we have to be cognizant of the fact those guys have had major injuries. They are trying to recover from major injuries. It just doesn’t seem smart to just beat the guy’s knee up when you see a guy is limping. That’s not smart to beat him up. If you lose him again, you might not have him at all. There’s a thin line you kind of have to walk sometimes.”

The Chiefs took the side of caution in Buffalo. Charles banged his knee against the artificial turf at Ralph Wilson Stadium at one point. He returned briefly but didn’t play after being removed for good midway through the third quarter.

“As it developed, the other players were doing decent, so we didn’t feel a need to put him back in at that moment,’’ Crennel said.

He's 100% right, dont kill some of your best players in a hopeless ass kicking where nothing was working... pick apart other RAC statements as you please, but i feel some candor here, Charles will come on as we go imo, his instincts were working just fine vs. atl early, but Berry seems to need more adjustment time to find his powerful base & same for Moeaki, with a subconscience lingering suspicion of willpower issues.

DeezNutz
09-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Fine. Protect the players, but there are no excuses this year, especially when the GM comes out, pre-draft, stating that the team has no glaring holes.

The Chiefs can take their lowered expectations and shove them up Pioli's ass.

FAX
09-19-2012, 06:24 PM
I submit that the reason Charles had 3 yard on 6 carries had a lot more to do with the o-line, the play-calling, and the fact that the Bills could stack the box all day long than it did with Charles.

FAX

Easy 6
09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
The Chiefs can take their lowered expectations and shove them up Pioli's ass.

Agreed, being understanding of a few star players finding their footing again is one thing... but its been hard to understand the lack of depth & players ready to step in and execute this far into the regime.

We were sold this kind of New Steelers, draft well, grow from within, do it right team... but throw a few starters into limbo 4 years later & there doesnt seem to be any relief.

DeezNutz
09-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Agreed, being understanding of a few star players finding their footing again is one thing... but its been hard to understand the lack of depth & players ready to step in and execute this far into the regime.

We were sold this kind of New Steelers, draft well, grow from within, do it right team... but throw a few starters into limbo 4 years later & there doesnt seem to be any relief.

We're led by the highest-paid GM in the league, and it's year four; there are simply no excuses.

I don't care if Cassel himself is injured...we simply cannot accept sub-par play.

O.city
09-19-2012, 06:51 PM
We went the young draft way to build a team, which is absolutely the way to go. That doesn't mean you can't add free agents, which we have done a fairly good job at adding some decent free agents.

We have not however, drafted as good as some like to think.

However, even outside of that, I think it's the coaching staff in place that is more cause for the problems we are facing.

kcmaxwell
09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
I submit that the reason Charles had 3 yard on 6 carries had a lot more to do with the o-line, the play-calling, and the fact that the Bills could stack the box all day long than it did with Charles.

FAX

I agree and would also like to say it is a pleasure to see you posting again, Mr.Fax!

Deberg_1990
09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
This sounds like a Dayton Moore 20 year rebuild. Just give it more time fellas....
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
This sounds like a Dayton Moore 20 year rebuild. Just give it more time fellas....
Posted via Mobile Device

It's a process

O.city
09-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Where were these thoughts thru preseason when all we heard were how great they were or after the first game?

tredadda
09-19-2012, 07:14 PM
We're led by the highest-paid GM in the league, and it's year four; there are simply no excuses.

I don't care if Cassel himself is injured...we simply cannot accept sub-par play.

Oh and the Executive of the M f'in decade.

HemiEd
09-19-2012, 07:18 PM

FAX

jspchiefs mentioned after the Falcons game that when Cassel gets pressured and excited, he doesn't change the cadence. I am starting to think there is a lot to that, and it would explain a lot.

boogblaster
09-19-2012, 08:13 PM
jspchiefs mentioned after the Falcons game that when Cassel gets pressured and excited, he doesn't change the cadence. I am starting to think there is a lot to that, and it would explain a lot.

only thing he changes is his soiled bloomers .....

petegz28
09-19-2012, 08:17 PM

He doesn't but that's also very coachable so I lay some blame on Daboll for that. It's nothing for the OC to throw in "use a hard count" when he calls in the play.

HemiEd
09-19-2012, 08:18 PM
only thing he changes is his soiled bloomers .....

true that.

It would seem to me from watching these first two games, that he comes out on the first drive, he is remembering what he has been told by the coaches to a certain extent.

But then when the heat really gets on, and he has to revert to his instincts and natural ability, the cupboard is bare, he has none.

SAUTO
09-19-2012, 08:21 PM
What would you call Cassel playing then?
Posted via Mobile Device

QuikSsurfer
09-19-2012, 08:24 PM

LMAOLMAO

lcarus
09-19-2012, 08:34 PM
How wonderful for Pioli! Now he has another excuse to cling to. "The players that were hurt last year are gonna take some time to perform at 100%". FUCK!

Easy 6
09-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Yep, see all of these empty seats behind me kid? they can be All Yours.

09-20-2012, 01:31 AM
How wonderful for Pioli! Now he has another excuse to cling to. "The players that were hurt last year are gonna take some time to perform at 100%". ****!

Don't you know yet? There will always be an excuse for franchise to suck.

acesn8s
09-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Is anybody else tired of the "Oh gee willerkers we got beat by a better team" shtick from RAC?

Red Beans
09-20-2012, 05:28 AM
When Pioli gets canned, he can drag Teicher along with him. Teicher needs to take off the knee pads, spend less time sucking Pioli's johnson, and try and try and engage in some real journalism. What a bunch of fucking tripe.

09-20-2012, 05:53 AM
When Pioli gets canned, he can drag Teicher along with him. Teicher needs to take off the knee pads, spend less time sucking Pioli's johnson, and try and try and engage in some real journalism. What a bunch of ****ing tripe.

post that on his article.

Red Beans
09-20-2012, 06:58 AM
post that on his article.

I'll do that right now.

I forgot my KC star username and password...not wasting anymore time. Anyone, feel free to post it.

King_Chief_Fan
09-20-2012, 08:53 AM
I cant keep reading this type of shit

We will lower our expectations but we keep playing them?

Crennel is a hugh disapointment and major fail

lcarus
09-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Don't you know yet? There will always be an excuse for franchise to suck.

So it seems. So it seems. :banghead:

Omaha
09-20-2012, 09:09 AM

He should be fired and punched in the dick for thinking anything about their performance in that game was decent.