PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Pappy's better than KC BBQ?

RunKC
09-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Ok so my friend in St. Louis is telling me that Pappy's and some shit ass place called 17th street is better BBQ than KC and that we are overrated.

I've never had St. Louis BBQ and she's had KC BBQ once (she had Arthur Bryant's).

Have any of you had the BBQ in St. Louis? I'm for damned sure KC's is top notch and those fuckers can't even begin to challenge us.

Note: I have heard from a few friends that Pappy's is in the same league as KC BBQ.

KCTitus
09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Ive had Pappy's several times. It's good...it's not Gates, Jack Stack or Arthur Bryants...not even close.

Canofbier
09-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Screw you for provoking everyone on this board with that stupid thread title. :cuss:

On topic: I've had Pappy's more than once, and while it's good, it doesn't compete with the best of KC.

KCUnited
09-24-2012, 04:52 PM
The fuck? Negged.

aturnis
09-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Ive had Pappy's several times. It's good...it's not Gates, Jack Stack or Arthur Bryants...not even close.

What about OK Joes?

OnTheWarpath15
09-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Screw you for provoking everyone on this board with that stupid thread title. :cuss:

On topic: I've had Pappy's more than once, and while it's good, it doesn't compete with the best of KC.

And that's the key. Best of KC.

I personally don't think Gates or AB's are anything special. I think they are ridiculously overrated. OK Joe's is phenomenal, IMO. Haven't had LC's, but heard good things.

I'd put Pappy's below OKJ, but above the other two.

IIRC, Zagat named them a Top 10 in the US last year.

ILChief
09-24-2012, 05:13 PM
17th street originated in murphysboro, il. I have had it several times and its very good. They have won Memphis in May several times (team name is apple city BBQ). It's a different style sauce than KC BBQ. I've had jack stack and i would say the brisket is better at jack stack and the ribs may be better at 17th street (although I had spare ribs at jack stack and baby backs at 17th st)

Simply Red
09-24-2012, 05:16 PM
And that's the key. Best of KC.

I personally don't think Gates or AB's are anything special. I think they are ridiculously overrated. OK Joe's is phenomenal, IMO. Haven't had LC's, but heard good things.

I'd put Pappy's below OKJ, but above the other two.

IIRC, Zagat named them a Top 10 in the US last year.

IDK, personally I'd rather be served a Gates triple decker ham+beef combo on Wonder bread by a fat African American woman in KC vs. A Cowboy-Ribeye from The Capital Grill on Pharr Rd. overlooking the Atlanta skyline.

Baby Lee
09-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Pappy's is competent and competitive with a good bit of KC BBQ, but it's no OKJoes, LCs or JackStack.

Additionally, their sauces are their weak point, not bad but decidedly not distinctive.

Ribs, Brisket, Chicken and Hot Links are their high points, in descending order

Pass on the pulled pork.

Simply Red
09-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I like Sticky Fingers ok, over in the Carolinas, yes it's basically bbq fast food, but it's better than anything over here in Georgia.

gblowfish
09-24-2012, 06:40 PM
St. Louis is much better for italian food (The Hill District) and for Frozen Custard (Ted Drewes best in the USA)

But leave the BBQ to KC.

We got this, seriously.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-24-2012, 06:47 PM
your friend is a stupid c*nt.

Reaper16
09-24-2012, 06:50 PM
my friend in St. Louis

your friend is a stupid c*nt.

Redundant.

Molitoth
09-24-2012, 06:51 PM
how come there is so much love for jack stack and never mention of smokehouse?
from what I've heard it was a family split and a very similar recipes. I eat smokehouse cause I'm in the northland, but my god I love it.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-24-2012, 06:53 PM
from what I've heard it was a family split and a very similar recipes. I eat smokehouse cause I'm in the northland, but my god I love it.

I just discovered this, and my understanding is it's not a family split. The daughter of the guy who owns Smokehouse decided to take his recipes to an upscale level. Someone I'm sure can verify whether this is true or not. I'm hitting this place up the next time I go to KC. From what I hear, Smokehouse is where the players for the Chiefs go and get their BBQ.

Saccopoo
09-24-2012, 06:53 PM
17th street originated in murphysboro, il. I have had it several times and its very good. They have won Memphis in May several times (team name is apple city BBQ). It's a different style sauce than KC BBQ. I've had jack stack and i would say the brisket is better at jack stack and the ribs may be better at 17th street (although I had spare ribs at jack stack and baby backs at 17th st)

No, it's not.

I've been to 17th street and it was pedestrian at best. The pulled pork was uninspired and the sauce is likewise. In fact, I've got a bottle of it up in the fridge. I think I'll try it again to make sure right now...

Yep. Mediocre.

Especially when compared to KC's stuff.

gblowfish
09-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Gates, LC's and Big T's are the closest to Arrowhead. Zarda caters BBQ at training camp. Jack Stack is "upscale" dining. Arthur Bryant's is vintage old school. Smokehouse doesn't even register on the BBQ richter scale.

Molitoth
09-24-2012, 06:57 PM
I just discovered this, and my understanding is it's not a family split. The daughter of the guy who owns Smokehouse decided to take his recipes to an upscale level. Someone I'm sure can verify whether this is true or not. I'm hitting this place up the next time I go to KC. From what I hear, Smokehouse is where the players for the Chiefs go and get their BBQ.

I know the two places were tied together at some point for some reason... It would be nice to know the details.
thebbq sauce is very similar.

I always get the burnt ends sandwich (super crispy) with fried corn nuggets. Mmmmmm

Pablo
09-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Is there more than one Smokehouse location in NKC?

Because the one at Zona Rosa is fucking gross.

Molitoth
09-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Gates, LC's and Big T's are the closest to Arrowhead. Zarda caters BBQ at training camp. Jack Stack is "upscale" dining. Arthur Bryant's is vintage old school. Smokehouse doesn't even register on the BBQ richter scale.

I've been to jack stack many times in op and if it is upscale, how is the smokehouse in zona Rosa not?

Molitoth
09-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Is there more than one Smokehouse location in NKC?

Because the one at Zona Rosa is ****ing gross.

Gladstone, but the atmosphere is a dive.

RedNFeisty
09-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I want to go to Pecan Lodge in Dallas's Farmers Market. I hear they have some of the best BBQ, ever!!

http://www.pecanlodge.com/

Reaper16
09-24-2012, 07:07 PM

Jack Stack and the Smokestack locations was the family split.

CHENZ A!
09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
you can't beat Arthur Bryant's with that shit

duncan_idaho
09-24-2012, 07:23 PM
I ate at both places while in exile in St. Louis. Neither hold a candle to the lower-on-the-rotation KC places.

PunkinDrublic
09-24-2012, 08:01 PM
I want to go to Pecan Lodge in Dallas's Farmers Market. I hear they have some of the best BBQ, ever!!

http://www.pecanlodge.com/

Went there a couple of months ago it was pretty good but not even close to KC BBQ. Texas is the lone star state because they'd be rated 1 star if any of their joints tried to expand into KC.

petegz28
09-24-2012, 08:10 PM
I just don't get the love for Jack Stack? It's "okay". Nothing special though I do like their beans and the cheesycorn is awesome!

Their BBQ is meh at best.

stlchiefs
09-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Not even close. Pappy's is merely a stand in for BBQ for those of us not in KC. As was noted, their sauce sucks. The meat is good, but nothing to write home about. I still crave KC BBQ and this does not cut it.

DaWolf
09-24-2012, 08:31 PM
I know the two places were tied together at some point for some reason... It would be nice to know the details.
thebbq sauce is very similar.

I always get the burnt ends sandwich (super crispy) with fried corn nuggets. Mmmmmm

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/print-edition/2011/12/02/jack-stack-barbecue-sues-ex-employees.html?page=all

:shrug:

Reaper16
09-24-2012, 08:39 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/print-edition/2011/12/02/jack-stack-barbecue-sues-ex-employees.html?page=all

:shrug:

Precisely. Smokehouse was started from a Smokestack employee, but not a member of the Fiorella family that owned the Smokestacks (Jack Stack itself was Jack Fiorella's inheritance; he wanted to add fancy stuff to the menu and his dad, who gave Jack his first restaurant, told Jack that he couldn't use the family Smokestack moniker).

Demonpenz
09-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Honestly St. Louis would be higher rated if the entire population didn't have aids

Baby Lee
09-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Honestly St. Louis would be higher rated if the entire population didn't have aids

You think a blockbuster like 'Rent' writes itself?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6szE_qmzavQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DMAC
09-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Pappy's in Springfield is better than Pappy's in STL.

So, no.

suzzer99
10-07-2012, 02:29 AM
I was just watching Anthony Bourdain – no reservations in South Carolina. Even in that show they mentioned Kansas City barbecue as a defensive measure. So hell yeah where the best.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Pappy's is awesome. I would put it in the top 5 I've ever had, probably. It's better than Gates or Bryant's, in my opinion.

smittysbar
10-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Pappy's is bad ass IMO