PDA

View Full Version : Football MNF - You decide

Pages : [1] 2

Phobia
09-24-2012, 11:12 PM
TD or INT

I don't even know how necessary this might be but I am interested to know if this is the most lopsided poll in the history of this site.

kcpasco
09-24-2012, 11:13 PM
I vote homerun

BigMeatballDave
Foul ball

DaneMcCloud
INT.

Easy call.

Jive Ass
09-24-2012, 11:14 PM
GOOAALLL!

But yeah, INT.

blaise
09-24-2012, 11:14 PM
INT unless you're a Seahawks fan, I would think. Even then you might say it was an INT and know that you stole one,

Chief Roundup
09-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Paging Joe Seahawk.

Munson
09-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Looks like an INT to me.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/556/212/SeahawksCatch_original.gif?1348545245

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1427793/replay.gif

Stinger
09-24-2012, 11:16 PM
No roughing the qb..... interception should have stood or PI on Seattle's WR and it 4th and 30.... should have not come down to the hailmary. But IMO that was and INT.

DaFace
09-24-2012, 11:17 PM
In case there are any people who haven't seen it:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1427801/hailmar2_medium.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1427785/hailmary_medium.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1427793/replay.gif

Rausch
09-24-2012, 11:18 PM
I know a "tie ball" goes to the WR.

Looked like the DB only needed to touch dirt to have possession. So I guess my question is does it qualify as a "tie ball?"

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2012, 11:20 PM

Looked like the DB only needed to touch dirt to have possession. So I guess my question is does it qualify as a "tie ball?"

If both players touched the ball simultaneously, it would have been a tie ball and gone to the receiver.

But the defensive back touched the ball first, then the receiver tried to claim possession. In this case, it's an interception.

The ref and replay official got it wrong.

jd1020
09-24-2012, 11:21 PM

Nothing "tie" about it.

The rule says that they must have simultaneous control and that does not include a player coming in after the fact.

The Packer player clearly caught the ball. Tate didn't have any kind of control until the they were on the ground which would have been down by contact and an INT.

BryanBusby

iirc the league has already came out and said it was not a simultaneous possession.

At this point, I wouldn't of been surprised if they announced it was first down for the Ravens.

Luke Warm
Intentional grounding on the point guard, 2 minute penalty, replay 6th inning

COchief
09-24-2012, 11:22 PM
I thought the rule was anytime the off and def both come down with hands on the ball it goes to the offense. Pack deserves it anyway for going for the int, knock it down dumbass.

Bump
09-24-2012, 11:24 PM
the Packers won

they got fucking raped!

One thing that bugs me, watching sportscenter a couple of guys said that a lot of the owners say that as long as these refs don't affect ticket sales or ratings, they don't care. I bet Clark is one of those owners.

jd1020
09-24-2012, 11:25 PM
2 votes for TD. ROFLROFLROFL

Sup, Goodell?

BryanBusby
09-24-2012, 11:25 PM
They are taught to go for the INT if you can't get the knock down.

If you go for the knock down, chances are you end up knocking it down for a TD like the Titans did for Detroit yesterday.

Frazod
09-24-2012, 11:26 PM
2 votes for TD. ROFLROFLROFL

Sup, Goodell?

And one of them is Smed. :D

SPchief

clyde05
It was int no question, but Tate also should have been called for OPI, he pushed the guy in front of him to the ground. Just glad it didn't happen to Chiefs.

COchief
If both players touched the ball simultaneously, it would have been a tie ball and gone to the receiver.

But the defensive back touched the ball first, then the receiver tried to claim possession. In this case, it's an interception.

WTF are you talking about DB touched it first? Look at the first gif, it's simultaneous or as close as you can get without breaking out a microscope.

jd1020
09-24-2012, 11:27 PM
WTF are you talking about DB touched it first? Look at the first gif, it's simultaneous or as close as you can get without breaking out a microscope.

Look at this idiot.

Chiefshrink
So I guess my question is does it qualify as a "tie ball?"

Not according to the last paragraph of the rule.

BryanBusby

look at this guy

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2012, 11:28 PM

You're smoking crack. The defender clearly had possession of the ball before it was wrestled away on the ground.

Learn the rules, Dumbfuck.

Phobia
Both my known Seahawk friends say the Packers got jobbed.

jd1020
look at this guy

Q

Hammock Parties
I've seen multiple replays up close in HD and the Packers got fucked straight up the butt.

Why can't that happen to Cassel?

kcpasco
It was int no question, but Tate also should have been called for OPI, he pushed the guy in front of him to the ground. Just glad it didn't happen to Chiefs.

Man if it happened to the Chiefs I think this place would be on suicide watch.

Chief Roundup
09-24-2012, 11:29 PM

Uh the DB had both hands on the ball and pulled the ball to his chest while Tate had one hand on it and the other on Jennings forearm. Then Tate moved that hand to the underside. The DB had possession and Tate was trying to take it away from Jennings.

Rausch
Not according to the last paragraph of the rule.

Then they got fucked...

DaneMcCloud
Man if it happened to the Chiefs I think this place would be on suicide watch.

If it happened to the Chiefs this year, people would be jumping for joy.

blaise
It's not even worth arguing that it was simultaneous possession. Anyone saying it was is either just wanting to argue or blind.

Jenson71
It was a clear interception.

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2012, 11:30 PM
It's not even worth arguing that it was simultaneous possession. Anyone saying it was is either just wanting to argue or blind.

Both

BryanBusby
I've seen multiple replays up close in HD and the Packers got fucked straight up the butt.

Why can't that happen to Cassel?
You know Cassel is literally excited right now.

"Fuck yeah, I'm gonna win some games now bitchesssss"

At either rate, what happened in the play shouldn't of really benefited the Seahawks in any form as Tate committed painfully obvious OPI on that play against Sam Shields.

Rausch
You know Cassel is literally excited right now.

"**** yeah, I'm gonna win some games now bitchesssss"

"DOINK!"

WV
09-24-2012, 11:32 PM
ANYONE who thinks that was a TD should run for political office, because clearly the Packers got screwed and you refuse to see it.

COchief
09-24-2012, 11:33 PM
You're smoking crack. The defender clearly had possession of the ball before it was wrestled away on the ground.

Learn the rules, Dumb****.

You originally said "touched first", now it's possession? They "touched" the ball at the same time, learn to communicate what you actually mean next time.

Keep dumpster diving for Lohan's herpes infested panties and sucking all the jew cock your mouth can fit shit stain, or better yet cry your pussy little ass off and leave for a year again.

Pouty little bitch.

BryanBusby
09-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Tate can touch a dead hooker for all I care, as it doesn't matter. Jennings was the only one that ever had possession of the ball.

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2012, 11:36 PM
You originally said "touched first", now it's possession? They "touched" the ball at the same time, learn to communicate what you actually mean next time.

Keep dumpster diving for Lohan's herpes infested panties and sucking all the jew cock your mouth can fit shit stain, or better yet cry your pussy little ass off and leave for a year again.

Pouty little bitch.

Just shut the fuck up and get back to licking your dog's taint.

Bump
09-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Just shut the **** up and get back to licking your dog's taint.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/12387572.jpg

Valiant
09-24-2012, 11:42 PM
That is bad.. I have normally been on their side, mainly because the real refs suck also..

But here is the thing that boggles me..

The refs have been reviewing everything.. I am fine with them slowing the game down to get the correct call.. But wtf, where was the review, there should of been no way in hellthat was a TD.. Defender caught it first with both hands.. WR had a hand on it.. As soon as they hit, the defender is down and int.. A review should of shown that..

Chief Roundup
09-24-2012, 11:43 PM

Pouty little bitch.

So you originally qouted him to start an arguement?

tk13
09-24-2012, 11:43 PM
That is bad.. I have normally been on their side, mainly because the real refs suck also..

But here is the thing that boggles me..

The refs have been reviewing everything.. I am fine with them slowing the game down to get the correct call.. But wtf, where was the review, there should of been no way in hellthat was a TD.. Defender caught it first with both hands.. WR had a hand on it.. As soon as they hit, the defender is down and int.. A review should of shown that..

They did review it, and upheld the call on the field. There is debate though on whether they could've legally reversed that particular call.

Chiefspants
09-24-2012, 11:45 PM

Pouty little bitch.

Closet seahawks fan spotted.

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Closet seahawks fan spotted.

You forgot Anti-Semitic and homophobic.

Great combination.

COchief
09-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Jesus Christ, some of you are so stupid it is making my brain hurt. Wasn't even talking possession.

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2012, 11:52 PM

Yeah, you're right. Tate didn't push off nor did the Packers' DB have possession.

:facepalm:

Fucking. Idiot.

BryanBusby
We're discussing other stuff because whatever you said is irrelevant.

COchief
So you originally qouted him to start an arguement?

Not at all, he failed to effectively communicate his point.

He fired at me first, I just happen to know his history and the sort of person he is. Don't think I've ever interacted with him, but I know his character well enough.

BigMeatballDave
COchief clearly doesn't understand the rules.

COchief
09-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Yeah, you're right. Tate didn't push off nor did the Packer's DB have possession.

:facepalm:

****ing. Idiot.

How can you even pretend to be this inept? I covered that in my first sentence of the post you quoted, which apparently you conveniently left off.

Dylan
09-24-2012, 11:54 PM
A question on the TD or INT:

In the video below, Jennings clearly had the ball in his hands first...But when you watch the video in slow motion, Tate had two hands on the ball and both feet on the ground - whereas at that same time Jennings only had one foot down. Would that technically result in Tate having possession first? Thanks.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AYyWgH_hqNg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

COchief
09-24-2012, 11:55 PM
COchief clearly doesn't understand the rules.

See post # 49, then please end it all and spare the world from suffering through anymore of your "thoughts".

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Don't think I've ever interacted with him, but I know his character well enough.

LMAO

Yay, another fucking fan that's afraid to turn on his rep and only comes out of hiding to attack me.

You're fucking pathetic. I suggest you get a life, while you can.

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2012, 11:56 PM
A question on the TD or INT:

In the video below, Jennings clearly had the ball in his hands first...But when you watch the video in slow motion, Tate had two hands on the ball and both feet on the ground - whereas at that same time Jennings only had one foot down. Would that technically result in Tate having possession first? Thanks.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AYyWgH_hqNg?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

This can't be right, Dylan. COchief told me so.

keg in kc
09-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Two of the worst calls I can ever remember at a key point in the game, the first being what should have been OPI called against a defender who'd positioned himself for an int (I think it was Shields, the guy Tate pushed in the end zone, ironically), moving Seattle into scoring range, and then the obvious INT that should have ended the game.

I don't see how it's even a question. The DB intercepted the pass and pulled it into his body with both hands. Tate didn't "catch" it in any way, shape or form, he just reached around from behind the DB after the fact and tried to strip the ball away.

COchief
09-25-2012, 12:00 AM
LMAO

Yay, another ****ing fan that's afraid to turn on his rep and only comes out of hiding to attack me.

You're ****ing pathetic. I suggest you get a life, while you can.

Just as in life, you are nowhere near important enough to care about or "come out of hiding to attack" on this message board. Rep displayed, now you can see my little green boxes...exciting isn't it? I turned it off years ago because it doesn't mean shit and never turned it back on.

I'm getting a lot more by clowning your bitch-ass though...

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Just as in life, you are nowhere near important enough to care about or "come out of hiding to attack" on this message board. Rep displayed, now you can see my little green boxes...exciting isn't it? I turned it off years ago because it doesn't mean shit and never turned it back on.

I'm getting a lot more by clowning your bitch-ass though...

Ah yes, the person that has nothing better to do with their life than to "clown" someone.

Good job.

COchief
09-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Ah yes, the person that has nothing better to do with their life than to "clown" someone.

Good job.

You are terrible at this, just stop already. I'll let you off so your coward ass doesn't have to hit the road again.

Dylan
09-25-2012, 12:04 AM
This can't be right, Dylan. COchief told me so.

LOL...OK gotcha...

And then my second question: Could the replacement referees have been any further away?

Can you talk a little bit about post #55?

Thanks in advance.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Not at all, he failed to effectively communicate his point.

He fired at me first, I just happen to know his history and the sort of person he is. Don't think I've ever interacted with him, but I know his character well enough.

Oh Ok...So you couldn't decipher that it was two hands that "touched" the ball from the DB and one hand that "touched" the ball by the WR on your own? Because if you could of did you are and or were just being a jerk.

COchief
09-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Oh Ok...So you couldn't decipher that it was two hand that "touched" the ball from the DB and one hand that "touched" the ball on your own? Because if you could of did you are and or were just being a jerk.

That made my head hurt to read, you're unqualified to join in this discussion. Please proceed to the nearest "poop" thread.

Munson
09-25-2012, 12:08 AM
http://tinyurl.com/9yjrqmt

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 12:10 AM
That made my head hurt to read, you're unqualified to join in this discussion. Please proceed to the nearest "poop" thread.

Unqualified is not even a word. I think it is your ignorance that is making your head hurt.

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2012, 12:10 AM
LOL...OK gotcha...

And then my second question: Could the replacement referees have been any further away?

Can you talk a little bit about post #55?

Thanks in advance.

My opinion is that first off, there should have been an offensive penalty called against Tate for pushing off, which was very clear. Secondly, Jennings had possession of the ball as they went to the ground and only then did Tate try to feign possession.

The play clearly should have been called an interception and touchback. If there was any time on the clock (which there wasn't, as far as I know), the Seahawks should have been penalized for Tate's actions.

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2012, 12:11 AM
http://tinyurl.com/9yjrqmt

LMAO

KChiefer
09-25-2012, 12:12 AM
I thought the rule was anytime the off and def both come down with hands on the ball it goes to the offense. Pack deserves it anyway for going for the int, knock it down dumbass.

Yeah b/c nobodies ever caught a batted ball. And swinging at the ball with your arms after the phantom PI call on GB earlier makes that a GREAT idea.

stevenidol
09-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Deadspin is keeping a log of tweets coming from players about how the Packers got jobbed. Some intern is going to have a lot of letters to write.

http://deadspin.com/5946113/fine-me-and-use-the-money-to-pay-the-regular-refs-your-collection-of-angry-packers-player-tweets-[updating]

KChiefer
09-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Refs tonight must have come from the puppy bowl, because they dogged it!

COchief
09-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Unqualified is not even a word. I think it is your ignorance that is making your head hurt.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unqualified

Jesus Christ, GTFO! Can't you tell when you are clearly below the level of a discussion? You should be able to, since I'd bet it happens on a daily basis.

BTW, looks like Dane got it right with his last post.

lcarus
09-25-2012, 12:17 AM

I've seen several plays where the defender batted it right into the hands of a trailing receiver. Pretty recently too within the last couple years.

stevenidol
09-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Anyone think one or more of the refs were on the take? Too many weird calls going against Green Bay and Seattle gets the miracle cover.

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2012, 12:19 AM

I had right all along, you dumb cunt

Sassy Squatch
09-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Why couldnt this happen in Green Bay?

COchief
09-25-2012, 12:20 AM
I've seen several plays where the defender batted it right into the hands of a trailing receiver. Pretty recently too within the last couple years.

That's wonderful logic there sir, have you ever heard of "playing the percentages"?

Every single D coach in the NFL will instruct his player to knock it down, because while it is true once in a while it will backfire, the percentages will always say knock down over INT.

COchief
09-25-2012, 12:22 AM
I had right all along, you dumb ****

I already let you off the hook, so just stop with the childish behavior and name calling already. It's a little ridiculous, especially when you are clearly not up to the task at hand.

Sassy Squatch
09-25-2012, 12:23 AM
I already let you off the hook, so just stop with the childish behavior and name calling already. It's a little ridiculous, especially when you are clearly not up to the task at hand.
Whats wrong with you?

Munson
09-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Without question, it should've been an interception.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3nYwK0CQAA6MPl.jpg:large

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 12:24 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unqualified

Jesus Christ, GTFO! Can't you tell when you are clearly below the level of a discussion? You should be able to, since I'd bet it happens on a daily basis.

I give a shit about Webster. They have lots of other combinations of letters that make up words. The use of that word is not accepted in the literary field. The use of that word will not be accepted in writing anywhere outside of High School. Just like the word "ain't" is not accepted.

lcarus
09-25-2012, 12:24 AM
My opinion is that first off, there should have been an offensive penalty called against Tate for pushing off, which was very clear. Secondly, Jennings had possession of the ball as they went to the ground and only then did Tate try to feign possession.

The play clearly should have been called an interception and touchback. If there was any time on the clock (which there wasn't, as far as I know), the Seahawks should have been penalized for Tate's actions.

Was it me or should GB have been penalized for PI early on in that drive durin a pass to Seattle's TE? Not that it matters now, but they're missing PI calls ALL OVER the place. It's pathetic.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Whats wrong with you?

He is in denial. Everyone has seen him showing his ass and now he is just trying to protect his pysche.

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Was it me or should GB have been penalized for PI early on in that drive durin a pass to Seattle's TE? Not that it matters now, but they're missing PI calls ALL OVER the place. It's pathetic.

The refs have been horrible. But hey, it's important that the owners keep every penny in their pockets that they can each year. They're only receiving nearly $3 billion in rights fees per year.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes!

Dylan
09-25-2012, 12:28 AM

Well, that answers my question. Thanks

COchief
09-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Whats wrong with you?

I find lack of intelligence extremely irritating, especially when coupled with a delusional belief it exists within an individual where it is clearly lacking and all evidence points to the contrary.

PS you're not off to a good start

COchief
09-25-2012, 12:33 AM
I give a shit about Webster. They have lots of other combinations of letters that make up words. The use of that word is not accepted in the literary field. The use of that word will not be accepted in writing anywhere outside of High School. Just like the word "ain't" is not accepted.

So the guy that is unable to form a coherent sentence is giving out grammar advice? Anyway, you said it wasn't a word. It's listed in every dictionary online, mission failure.

/next

09-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Jennings should have batted the ball down and we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 12:38 AM
So the guy that is unable to form a coherent sentence is giving out grammar advice? Anyway, you said it wasn't a word. It's listed in every dictionary online, mission failure.

/next

I am a full time college student. I am not giving you advice. You used a word that anyone with any education would of known was unacceptable.

Yeah sorry that the mouse on my laptop hijacked what I was typing and I didn't get it 100% corrected before I hit the submit button. Why don't you try reading it after I edited it.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Jennings should have batted the ball down and we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Sure and the refs shouldn't of called roughing the passer on Green Bay either. The refs should not of called pass interference on Chancellor either. But they all did so here we are.

lcarus
09-25-2012, 12:41 AM
The refs have been horrible. But hey, it's important that the owners keep every penny in their pockets that they can each year. They're only receiving nearly $3 billion in rights fees per year.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes!

Yeah on one hand its kind of ridiculous how the refs are asking for so much, but I can't blame them. They work for a zillion dollar corporation and they're a vital part of the integrity of the product. The NFL will probably get it worked out this week if I had to bet. There's gonna be soooo much uproar in the days ahead after week 3.

Sure and the refs shouldn't of called roughing the passer on Green Bay either. The refs should not of called pass interference on Chancellor either. But they all did so here we are.

I'm just referring to the end of the game. If he bats it down like he is supposed to do they win. As far as the other blown calls I have no idea. Didn't watch the game.

MatriculatingHank
If Aaron Rodgers had All State instead of State Farm,
he would had been protected from this mayhem.

BryanBusby

Once again, batting the ball down would of given risk of Golden Tate having clear possession of the ball.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm just referring to the end of the game. If he bats it down like he is supposed to do they win. As far as the other blown calls I have no idea. Didn't watch the game.

I know man it is all good. I was just making a point that the worst one was just the latest one. The refs sucked BAD.

Chief Roundup
If Aaron Rodgers had All State instead of State Farm,
he would had been protected from this mayhem.

ROFL

Once again, batting the ball down would of given risk of Golden Tate having clear possession of the ball.

But, you don't know that for certain. :D

KCrockaholic
09-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Yeah just bat the ball down? :facepalm: did ANYONE watch the Lions/Titans game?

09-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Yeah just bat the ball down? :facepalm: did ANYONE watch the Lions/Titans game?

Dude, yeah sometimes it doesn't work but it works more than it doesn't. You can be damn well assured coaches tell you to bat the ball down in that situation. With Jennings being an offensive guy, the need to catch it is hard to control.

BryanBusby
09-25-2012, 12:46 AM
But, you don't know that for certain. :D

Well the INT is for certain, unless you have literal retards officiating the game.

Unfortunately, literal retards are officiating all the games.

Offenses have designs for someone to be low in case the ball is batted down, so I'm rather certain they aren't being told to bat passes down. It's exactly how Tyler Palko pathetically got his first TD.

09-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Well the INT is for certain, unless you have literal retards officiating the game. no disagreement here

Unfortunately, literal retards are officiating all the games. Absolutely no disagreement

Offenses have designs for someone to be low in case the ball is batted down, so I'm rather certain they aren't being told to bat passes down. It's exactly how Tyler Palko pathetically got his first TD.
Agree to disagree on the final point though.

KCrockaholic
09-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Dude, yeah sometimes it doesn't work but it works more than it doesn't. You can be damn well assured coaches tell you to bat the ball down in that situation. With Jennings being an offensive guy, the need to catch it is hard to control.

Even Brian Urlacher thinks that's a bad idea.

BryanBusby
09-25-2012, 12:51 AM
fair enough

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Replay cannot determine possession in the EZ?

That rule needs to change.

BryanBusby
09-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Replay cannot determine possession in the EZ?

That rule needs to change.
Instant replay can't be used to challenge simultaneous possession. It was ruled simultaneous possession on the field, which was clearly incorrect.

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Instant replay can't be used to challenge simultaneous possession. It was ruled simultaneous possession on the field, which was clearly incorrect.

Stupid rule.

It needs to change.

alpha_omega
09-25-2012, 06:08 AM
INT

What I don't get is how could the replay official not see what most of us here see?

alpha_omega
09-25-2012, 06:10 AM

Guess I should have read the previous post first. But, its clearly an INT.

R8RFAN
09-25-2012, 06:19 AM
INT all the way.... Worst call since the tuck

Mr. Flopnuts
09-25-2012, 06:25 AM

Add me to the list. Inexcusable. That's no way to get a win.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Stupid rule.

It needs to change.

Agreed. Any play that directly affects the outcome of a game should be reviewable and be able to be overturned if need be.

Graystoke
09-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Clearly a INT.
NFL is not going to back down. Don't look to see the real Refs for a long long time.

Rasputin
09-25-2012, 06:46 AM
How can they miss the obvious offensive pass interference from Golden Tate on that play? He clearly pushed off a deffensive player then went for the jump ball. Offensive pass interference should have been the correct call end of game.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Clearly a INT.
NFL is not going to back down. Don't look to see the real Refs for a long long time.

They dont care. Ratings and money wont be affected. We all are gonna watch anyways.

NFL is a drug and the nation is addicted.

R8RFAN
09-25-2012, 06:50 AM
GB got screwed but that is not the time of the game to go for an INT, that is the time of the game to get that ball to touch the ground

Rasputin
09-25-2012, 07:01 AM
[QUOTE=Munson;8948580]Looks like an INT to me.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/556/212/SeahawksCatch_original.gif?1348545245

Golden Tate pushed #37 should have been offensive pass interference on that play.

Reerun_KC
09-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Agreed. Any play that directly affects the outcome of a game should be reviewable and be able to be overturned if need be.

Agree... Think of all the times before when the regulars cost teams games.

How about the megatron so called fumble in the endzone on his game winning catch a couple years ago.

How bad did the regulars hose Detroit out of a win?

Where was the outrage then?

QuikSsurfer
09-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Worthy of a double post

http://i.imgur.com/4Yi28.gif

Reerun_KC
09-25-2012, 07:04 AM
They dont care. Ratings and money wont be affected. We all are gonna watch anyways.

NFL is a drug and the nation is addicted.

Bingo...

All the that is happening is more and more people are tuning in.

Negativity drives ratings and viewers to the tvs..

Hate Goddell all you want, but until the owners say something about the refs, the NFL is going to continue to grow.

All we are doing is feeding the beast.

Amnorix
09-25-2012, 07:11 AM
INT all the way.... Worst call since the tuck

The tuck is a RULE. You may not like it, but it's a rule and it was called correctly. I know that causes butthurt, but change the rulebook if you don't like it, don't blame the refs.

Besides, it's still just karma for the Ben Dreith screwing. :p

jd1020
09-25-2012, 07:11 AM
After sleeping on it and rewatching the play. I agree with the call. Clearly simultaneous control. The Packer player caught the ball and Tate caught him. Touchdown.

Reerun_KC
09-25-2012, 07:14 AM
I would be furious about it IF and ONLY IF the regulars didnt screw up just as bad throughout the history of the NFL.

But they do and the outcry is minimal.

Its like when the regulars screw up, fans just take it in stride and move on.

Strange to say the least.

TimeForWasp
09-25-2012, 07:15 AM
I say the guy was pinned. Both shoulders were on the mat.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2012, 07:17 AM

How about the megatron so called fumble in the endzone on his game winning catch a couple years ago.

Oh, there was outrage, but it wasnt quite as loud.

Fans, media, coaches, players...everyone are basically using these replacement refs as an excuse for everything.

Are they making mistakes? Of course they are, but so did the regular guys. The play last night would have been a tough call for anybody no matter how experienced you are.

Amnorix
09-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Without question, it should've been an interception.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3nYwK0CQAA6MPl.jpg:large

Was just about the post this. Look at the picture at the bottom right, the 7 of you who said TD in the poll so far, and explain how the HELL you can possibly justify that?

Reerun_KC
09-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Oh, there was outrage, but it wasnt quite as loud.

Fans, media, coaches, players...everyone are basically using these replacement refs as an excuse for everything.

Are they making mistakes? Of course they are, but so did the regular guys. The play last night would have been a tough call for anybody no matter how experienced you are.

:clap:

Well stated.

/thread

QuikSsurfer
09-25-2012, 07:18 AM
http://i.minus.com/iCENENJ3Hn75x.jpg

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 07:20 AM

There was outrage then. The difference is that it was a new rule at that time. Johnson was just the first person that that rule was used upon.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 07:22 AM
I would be furious about it IF and ONLY IF the regulars didnt screw up just as bad throughout the history of the NFL.

But they do and the outcry is minimal.

Its like when the regulars screw up, fans just take it in stride and move on.

Strange to say the least.

I have never seen as many mistakes as these replacements refs are making. Huge ones too. Yeah the regulars make mistakes but not like this or this bad.

Rasputin
09-25-2012, 07:22 AM
How can they miss the obvious offensive pass interference from Golden Tate on that play? He clearly pushed off a deffensive player then went for the jump ball. Offensive pass interference should have been the correct call end of game.

[QUOTE=Munson;8948580]Looks like an INT to me.

Golden Tate pushed #37 should have been offensive pass interference on that play.

This. I think your on to something KC Tattoo. Should not have been a touchdown do to offensive pass interference when Tate pushed off #37. End of game if the reff throws a flag like he should have. And idiots.

philfree
09-25-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't think it's as clear cut as most. Both players had their hands on the ball before they hit the ground and while it looked like the defender had his hands on the ball a fraction of second earlier but by the time both players hit the ground they both had it. In realtime it's a tough call and by the rules I don't think they could overturn the call.

Of course I was the only person in our pick'em to pick the SeaChickens.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2012, 07:26 AM
I have never seen as many mistakes as these replacements refs are making.

I can gurantee you you, i see about 100 of these qoutes or similiar every year right here on this message board.

Predarat
09-25-2012, 07:27 AM
INT this is a disaster.

Amnorix
09-25-2012, 07:27 AM
I don't think it's as clear cut as most. Both players had their hands on the ball before they hit the ground and while it looked like the defender had his hands on the ball a fraction of second earlier but by the time both players hit the ground they both had it. In realtime it's a tough call and by the rules I don't think they could overturn the call.

Seriously? No, I mean, SERIOUSLY?!

To rip off QuickSsurfer's post...

Bwana
09-25-2012, 07:28 AM

That's what I was looking for when the ball was on the decent, just bat it away. He wanted to pad his INT stat. With that being said, the Packers got bent over and driven home with no kiss and without the courtesy of lubrication.

Frosty
09-25-2012, 07:29 AM
It was probably an Int. On the flipside, though, the Pack's go ahead TD drive was kept alive by a terrible PI call on 3rd and 2 on the 47. The refs were terrible on both sides throughout the second half. The final play was just the icing on the cake.

jd1020
09-25-2012, 07:29 AM

You can't be serious. Not clear cut? Did you not notice Tates right hand waving about in mid air as they went down or his right hand not even touching the ball when they reached the ground? He had the Packer players forearm. Not the ball. It wasn't until the play should have been long over that he wrestled it away and fooled the dumbasses who were fired from the LFL league.

Bwana
09-25-2012, 07:30 AM

My next door neighbor is a diehard Seahawk fan and he said the same thing this morning when I ran in to him.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 07:32 AM
I can gurantee you you, i see about 100 of these qoutes or similiar every year right here on this message board.

You probably do see posters saying that the refs are worse this year than last year type of comments.
But this year we have replacements that are doing a much much worse job than the regular refs ever have. Just look at most of the games this last weekend.
In our Chiefs/Saints game there was 5 reversals of the calls made on the field. That has never happened before. The regular refs have never been this bad.

jd1020
09-25-2012, 07:32 AM
It was probably an Int. On the flipside, though, the Pack's go ahead TD drive was kept alive by a terrible PI call on 3rd and 2 on the 47. The refs were terrible on both sides throughout the second half. The final play was just the icing on the cake.

Ya well... The packers got 1 bad PI call on their go ahead TD drive. The Seahawks got a bullshit roughing the passer to negate an INT, an OPI called DPI, and another botched OPI, turned INT, turned game winning TD.

Call me crazy but I think the Seahawks gladly take that as compensation.

Amnorix
09-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Ya well... The packers got 1 bad PI call on their go ahead TD drive. The Seahawks got a bullshit roughing the passer to negate an INT, an OPI called DPI, and another botched OPI, turned INT, turned game winning TD.

/thread

Frosty
09-25-2012, 07:39 AM

That was just one example. There were quite a few other calls/non-calls against Seattle in the game, including a PI non-call against Woodson and a phantom offensive holding call, both on the final drive.

Lzen
09-25-2012, 07:43 AM
I am a full time college student. I am not giving you advice. You used a word that anyone with any education would of known was unacceptable.

Heh.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Heh.

Like that..had to get down on his level

philfree
09-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Seriously? No, I mean, SERIOUSLY?!

To rip off QuickSsurfer's post...

Well that certainly shows how easy of a call it was in realtime. My initial thought was INT but as the play unfolds it's just not an easy call. By rule I don't think they could overturn the call that was made.

Lzen
09-25-2012, 07:46 AM
INT

What I don't get is how could the replay official not see what most of us here see?

I know this is right.

Even the call on the field was fairly obvious to me. I guess I can kind of see how they could miss it on the field with the speed of the game and what not. Still, the replay should have gotten that call over turned.

Lzen
09-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Like that..had to get down on his level

Sry, I wasn't really meaning to pick on you. It's just that I have noticed a lot of people doing that lately. It drives me insane.

Oh, and the irony. :D

blaise
09-25-2012, 07:49 AM
I don't see that the speed of the game should matter. The ref looked down, paused, and then signaled. It was so deliberate. It wasn't like some bang-bang thing where he was rushed.
He eyes were 5 feet from the guys. How could he not see that Jennings was cradling the ball while Tate cradled Jennings?

Chiefnj2
09-25-2012, 07:53 AM
I can see the botched call on the field. I can't fathom how they didn't catch it on replay.

blaise
09-25-2012, 07:54 AM
I can see the botched call on the field. I can't fathom how they didn't catch it on replay.

I don't think they could overturn it on replay. They can't review who had possession in the end zone, they can just review whether the ball hit the ground.

Chiefnj2
09-25-2012, 08:00 AM
I don't think they could overturn it on replay. They can't review who had possession in the end zone, they can just review whether the ball hit the ground.

They did review the play. And according to PFT they can review the play:

"Make no mistake about it. This one could have been overturned. Rule 15, Section 9 makes the question of whether a pass was “ruled complete/incomplete/intercepted” subject to replay review, with no exception for questions of simultaneous possession."

FloridaMan88
09-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Blame the regular refs for making outrageous demands.

Just another example of unions gone wild.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 08:09 AM

"Make no mistake about it. This one could have been overturned. Rule 15, Section 9 makes the question of whether a pass was “ruled complete/incomplete/intercepted” subject to replay review, with no exception for questions of simultaneous possession."

Hmm don't know. Everyone on NFL Network and ESPN has said that they could not overturn the call on the field of simultaneous possession by rules because that part was not reviewable.

kcpasco
09-25-2012, 08:15 AM

And what happened last night is a direct cause of bieng cheap with labor cost

But this is a debate probably better suited for DC

Los Pollos Hermanos
09-25-2012, 08:15 AM

Which demands are outrageous?

FloridaMan88
09-25-2012, 08:16 AM
And what happened last night is a direct cause of bieng cheap with labor cost

But this is a debate probably better suited for DC

Both are to blame.

QuikSsurfer
09-25-2012, 08:21 AM
https://twitter.com/drewbrees

Drew Brees ‏@drewbrees
Ironic that our league punishes those based on conduct detrimental. Whose CONDUCT is DETRIMENTAL now?

Omaha
09-25-2012, 08:24 AM

Well, the announcers explained that they couldn't review/overturn who had possession in the review.

blaise
09-25-2012, 08:26 AM
I'd love to find that old SNL skit, "The Referee Pitman Show" starring John Goodman. It would be so appropriate right now. It doesn't seem to be anywhere.

htismaqe
09-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Overturn what? There was NO CALL ON THE FIELD.

One ref signalled TD and the other signalled interception, dead ball in the endzone.

There was nothing to reverse because they didn't even make a call in the first place.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Overturn what? There was NO CALL ON THE FIELD.

One ref signalled TD and the other signalled interception, dead ball in the endzone.

There was nothing to reverse because they didn't even make a call in the first place.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah that was something I was wondering about. With two refs making opposite calls who chooses which one is correct? Isn't that suppose to be referee "white hat". Why didn't he do that? That should of happened before the review.

blaise
09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
I think the one ref did defer to the other's TD call on the field.

Chiefnj2
09-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Well, the announcers explained that they couldn't review/overturn who had possession in the review.

They were wrong. They did review the play.

mr. tegu
09-25-2012, 08:41 AM
https://twitter.com/drewbrees

Drew Brees ‏@drewbrees
Ironic that our league punishes those based on conduct detrimental. Whose CONDUCT is DETRIMENTAL now?

Maybe if Brees spent as much time practicing as he does complaining, tweeting, and appearing on late night shows all season he wouldn't be sporting a 54% completion percentage.

Chief Roundup
09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
They were wrong. They did review the play.

Yeah we all know they reviewed the play. But they didn't review or try to make a determination as to who had possession.

Planetman
09-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Dual posses .. Oh who am I kidding? That was a pick and everyone knows it.

Chiefnj2
09-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Yeah we all know they reviewed the play. But they didn't review or try to make a determination as to who had possession.

"The ruling on the final play was simultaneous catch," referee Wayne Elliott told pool reporter Danny O'Neil of The Seattle Times. "Reviewed by replay. Play stands."

tooge
09-25-2012, 08:49 AM
It's an INT. Golden Tate has one arm in there and the d back has the ball cradled. Pretty clear to me. It doesn't become a "tie ball" until after the dback is on the ground, in which case, it would have been in his possession. Golden Tate also totally pushed the D back in front of him down and that wasn't called either. Seattle stole one for sure.

Omaha
09-25-2012, 08:58 AM

This

Amnorix
09-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Which demands are outrageous?

The referees are continuing to insist on a defined benefit pension plan -- the kind of plan that put GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy and that American private employers are fleeing from. Defined benefit plans are mostly a public union workforce thing now, and governments are getting into financial difficulties because of them.

Keep in mind that nobody else in the NFL -- not the players, coaches or front office -- has the benefit that the PART-TIME referees are demanding that they get, which is basically a guaranteed salary for life after they hit retirement age.

It's completely f'n ridiculous.

The NFL also wants backup crews trained up, to help with substitutions and replacements of poorly performing refs. The refs dont' like the threat to their job security, however.

I'm 100% with the NFL on this.

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 09:11 AM
"The ruling on the final play was simultaneous catch," referee Wayne Elliott told pool reporter Danny O'Neil of The Seattle Times. "Reviewed by replay. Play stands."

You know, had the real refs been in there, they would have huddled to discuss the play.

These guys didn't do that.

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Replay cannot determine possession.

Stupid rule.

Chiefnj2
09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
This

What were they reviewing then?

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 09:16 AM

Supposedly, the refs called it a TD on the field, which they never announced.

blaise
09-25-2012, 09:23 AM
There does seem to be difference of opinion. Dan Patrick just had on some ref or something that said they could have reviewed for joint possession and awarded to Green Bay, but I hear other guys saying you can't.

jd1020
09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
There does seem to be difference of opinion. Dan Patrick just had on some ref or something that said they could have reviewed for joint possession and awarded to Green Bay, but I hear other guys saying you can't.

The dumbass head ref didn't even know what he was reviewing. Had 1 official signaling clock stoppage/touchback and 1 official signaling touchdown. Head ref went straight to the replay booth, put on the headset, came out 30 seconds later and said, "the ruling on the field stands. Touchdown." What the fuck was the ruling on the field? The idiot who called "touchdown" was in the pile still trying to figure out who had possession after he already called it a fucking touchdown.

jAZ
09-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Watch the first Gif in this thread and watch the hands of both players. They both touch the ball at the same time. The DB has a better angle and though a stronger hold on the ball, and he never lets go of the ball. The receiver has a loose hold on the ball and his falling body weight pulls one hand away briefly but he gets it back almost instantly.

So the facts are that they both catch the ball at the same time, the WR loses a hold with 1 hand but not both. And almost before you can blink, he has the 2nd hand back.

I don't think you can come up with a harder call to have to make in real time, and even on replay. I think it's easy to say the DB gets the call because he was more powerful though the entire process, but the rules don't say anything about powerful.

So I'll (barely) vote for Seattle. But the truth is this was an amazing, amazing play and a really difficult call if you follow the rules as written and not insert some other non-rule standard of your own.

jd1020
09-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Watch the first Gif in this thread and watch the hands of both players. They both touch the ball at the same time. The DB has a better angle and though a stronger hold on the ball, and he never lets go of the ball. The receiver has a loose hold on the ball and his falling body weight pulls one hand away briefly but he gets it back almost instantly.

So the facts are that they both catch the ball at the same time, the WR loses a hold with 1 hand but not both. And almost before you can blink, he has the 2nd hand back.

I don't think you can come up with a harder call to have to make in real time, and even on replay. I think it's easy to say the DB gets the call because he was more powerful though the entire process, but the rules don't say anything about powerful.

So I'll (barely) vote for Seattle. But the truth is this was an amazing, amazing play and a really difficult call if you follow the rules as written and not insert some other non-rule standard of your own.

Clearly you've seen the stills of Tate holding the forearm of the Packer and not the ball when they were down and aren't a complete idiot.

The Franchise
09-25-2012, 09:32 AM
@nflcommish doesn't care about player safety or the integrity of the game unless it results in him getting sued. This is a joke.

blaise
09-25-2012, 09:38 AM

There's no way to "follow the rules as written," because you can't define exactly what constitutes a possession or a catch. When the ref signaled TD the ball was cradled in Jenning's stomach and Tate maybe had one hand on it. Unless you're counting any part of your hand touching the ball as possession of the ball I don't see how you could say he, "possessed," or "caught," the ball.

htismaqe
09-25-2012, 09:47 AM
The dumbass head ref didn't even know what he was reviewing. Had 1 official signaling clock stoppage/touchback and 1 official signaling touchdown. Head ref went straight to the replay booth, put on the headset, came out 30 seconds later and said, "the ruling on the field stands. Touchdown." What the **** was the ruling on the field? The idiot who called "touchdown" was in the pile still trying to figure out who had possession after he already called it a ****ing touchdown.

Egg-fucking-zackly.

Omaha
09-25-2012, 09:55 AM

They reviewed it, as they do all scoring plays, but could not overturn the possession by rule. It certainly seems like a stupid rule. Can anyone think of a reason why they would make that nonreviewable in the first place?

jd1020
09-25-2012, 09:56 AM
They reviewed it, as they do all scoring plays, but could not overturn the possession by rule. It certainly seems like a stupid rule. Can anyone think of a reason why they would make that nonreviewable in the first place?

Can you tell me what the "ruling on the field" was?

You know how you know when you see an idiot? When they are trying to figure out who has possession of the ball after they've already called the play dead in favor of the offensive team.

jd1020
09-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Tate's right hand was NEVER touching the ball until the play was long over and nestled in the Jennings chest. Look at the catch... Tates hand is touching the outside of Jennings hand. When they are down, Tates hand is on the outside of Jennings forearm.

HemiEd
09-25-2012, 10:03 AM
There were so many things wrong with the last few plays, it makes me think about a fix.

htismaqe
09-25-2012, 10:10 AM
There were so many things wrong with the last few plays, it makes me think about a fix.

Between the horrible PI against Shields and the horrible no-call on what was an obvious PI against Tate (vs. Shield no less), yeah...

kcpasco
09-25-2012, 10:17 AM
The referees are continuing to insist on a defined benefit pension plan -- the kind of plan that put GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy and that American private employers are fleeing from. Defined benefit plans are mostly a public union workforce thing now, and governments are getting into financial difficulties because of them.

Keep in mind that nobody else in the NFL -- not the players, coaches or front office -- has the benefit that the PART-TIME referees are demanding that they get, which is basically a guaranteed salary for life after they hit retirement age.

It's completely f'n ridiculous.

The NFL also wants backup crews trained up, to help with substitutions and replacements of poorly performing refs. The refs dont' like the threat to their job security, however.

I'm 100% with the NFL on this.

Make them full time employees. There is no reason why a multi billion dollar industry has part time employees working such a crucial part of the game.

Hold them to a high standard in which they can be fired for poor performance. Make them train during the offseason and in return they get a nice pay raise and good benefit package.

Phobia
09-25-2012, 10:18 AM

Hahahahahahahahahahaha - jAZ takes an unpopular viewpoint just for the sake of dissenting. Color me shocked.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Make them full time employees. There is no reason why a multi billion dollar industry has part time employees working such a crucial part of the game.

Hold them to a high standard in which they can be fired for poor performance. Make them train during the offseason and in return they get a nice pay raise and good benefit package.

Full time employees who only work 1 day a week for 3 or 4 hours....and only 18 weekends a year. Sign me up!

CoMoChief
09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't mind the original call, even as confusing as it was....one guy said INT/touchback, the other said TD. That happens...esp, when one saw it clearly, the other did not.

However...

After review the call should have definitely been reversed, and not been upheld as a TD...I mean that's criminal. LMAO

But....Packers' DB Jennings should have just swatted the ball in that situation and not go for the INT and we're not even talking about this...It was actually pretty stupid on his part.

mr. tegu
09-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't mind the original call, even as confusing as it was....one guy said INT/touchback, the other said TD. That happens...esp, when one saw it clearly, the other did not.

However...

After review the call should have definitely been reversed, and not been upheld as a TD...I mean that's criminal. LMAO

But....Packers' DB Jennings should have just swatted the ball in that situation and not go for the INT and we're not even talking about this...It was actually pretty stupid on his part.

:doh!:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/gameon/2012/09/23/Young1-x-wide-community.jpg

R8RFAN
09-25-2012, 10:49 AM

However...

Repost

TEX
09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I honestly can't believe that 9 people could see it Seattle's way. Even if they're blind enough to think that the Seattle guy came down with the ball - or by applying the wrong interpretation of the dual posession rule - there was CLEARLY offensive pass interference by Seattle. GAME OVER - GB Wins.

Deberg_1990
09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
NFL upholds game result but admits error was made:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/story/2012/09/25/nfl-admits-error-in-seahawks-packers-game-but--upholds-result/57840636/1

The NFL admitted Tuesday that an error was made on the final play of Monday night's game. However the league contends the blown call was Seattle Seahawks wideout Golden Tate's shove of Green Bay Packers cornerback Sam Shields in the end zone -- clearly offensive pass interference -- not the game-winning throw Tate allegedly snared in his team's 14-12 win, even though it appeared Packers safety M.D. Jennings picked off the pass from Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson.

The NFL released a statement which reads in part:

"While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

"When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

"Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

"Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

"The result of the game is final."

alpha_omega
09-25-2012, 11:00 AM
I am picking the Seahawks to lose next week (sorry Joe). The karma may be too strong to overcome.

Micjones
09-25-2012, 11:01 AM
I keep hearing that the original call had to stand (review be damned).
Can someone elaborate on this?

jettio
09-25-2012, 11:01 AM
IMO, the failure to call PI on Tate was worse than the simultaneous possession call.

I am surprised that the replacement refs did not know that you can't call roughing the passer for a plain below the waist hit outside the pocket. I think most football fans know that and why would the game supervisor in place for these replacement refs not intervene on that mistaken call.

That was a big call, as was the PI called on Shields on that 3rd and forever, where it looked like good defense.

It would be interesting to see what the reaction would have been if it had been ruled an INT and not simultaneous possession. If the roles were reversed, the Seahawks would have a good case for simultaneous possession because no matter that the DB would have caught the ball if Tate was not there, Tate did get his hands on the ball good enough to keep Packer DB Jennings from having clear sole possession, and simultaneous possession does go to the offense.

Of course, Tate blatantly pushed Shields so the Seahawks would not get much sympathy if it had been ruled an INT.

Reerun_KC
09-25-2012, 11:02 AM
I am picking the Seahawks to lose next week (sorry Joe). The karma may be too strong to overcome.

What karma did Seattle impose on itself?

Not sure how this is karma?

Deberg_1990
09-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Full NFL Statement:

In Monday's game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, Seattle faced a 4th-and-10 from the Green Bay 24 with eight seconds remaining in the game.

Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson threw a pass into the end zone. Several players, including Seattle wide receiver Golden Tate and Green Bay safety M.D. Jennings, jumped into the air in an attempt to catch the ball.

While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

The result of the game is final.

Applicable rules to the play are as follows:

A player (or players) jumping in the air has not legally gained possession of the ball until he satisfies the elements of a catch listed here.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3 of the NFL Rule Book defines a catch:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and (b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

When a player (or players) is going to the ground in the attempt to catch a pass, Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 states:

Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 states:

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066164/article/nfl-supports-decision-to-not-overturn-seahawks-touchdown?module=HP11_breaking_news

jd1020
09-25-2012, 11:06 AM
I totally didn't see this coming... at all. Really, I didn't.

The camels back is 100% intact.

alpha_omega
09-25-2012, 11:06 AM
What karma did Seattle impose on itself?

Not sure how this is karma?

I don't think it was self-imposed karma (maybe karma wasn't even the right word).

Although i am having trouble seeing how they feel ok about winning that game. but i guess a win is a win.

Glad it didn't happen to us.

KCUnited
09-25-2012, 11:08 AM
No one will care come Thursday. /The League

Bearcat
09-25-2012, 11:20 AM
http://p.twimg.com/A3nL4b9CIAA1v4K.jpg

Frosty
09-25-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't think there was a fix in; it was just rank incompetence.

Also, I don't think the refs have to worry about crazed fans. Gamblers might be a different story, though.

The Franchise
09-25-2012, 11:25 AM
The replacement refs are to the NFL what Matt Cassel is to Pioli.

Phobia
09-25-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a poll with 95% unity on this site. This is amazing. But then the NFL tries to tell us we're all wrong. Makes zero sense

mr. tegu
09-25-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a poll with 95% unity on this site. This is amazing. But then the NFL tries to tell us we're all wrong. Makes zero sense

Quit skewing the numbers. It is 94.68% The refs got it right!

Frazod
09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't think it was self-imposed karma (maybe karma wasn't even the right word).

Although i am having trouble seeing how they feel ok about winning that game. but i guess a win is a win.

Glad it didn't happen to us.

Apparently you were hiding under a fucking rock somewhere when the refs gifted Super Bowl XL to the $tealer$.

Karma indeed.

Bwana

:spock:

doomy3
Definitely an INT.

And this is a very lopsided poll.

Not sure if it is the most lopsided in the history of CP, or if the poll showing how many people didn't want Hootie banned is.

Phobia
09-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Definitely an INT.

Not sure if it is the most lopsided in the history of CP, or if the poll showing how many people didn't want Hootie banned is.

I know where you live.

Frazod
09-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Definitely an INT.

That was an instance of the majority being retarded. This is an instance of the majority being correct.

doomy3
09-25-2012, 11:34 AM
I know where you live.

ROFL

Speaking of that, why are you posting polls on CP instead of finishing that job?

BigCatDaddy
09-25-2012, 11:35 AM
I honestly can't believe that 9 people could see it Seattle's way. Even if they're blind enough to think that the Seattle guy came down with the ball - or bu applying the wrong interpretation of the dual posession rule - there was CLEARLY offensive pass interference by Seattle. GAME OVER - GB Wins.

You could post a poll asking is shit taste great and 5% would say yes.

Phobia
09-25-2012, 11:40 AM
ROFL

Speaking of that, why are you posting polls on CP instead of finishing that job?

I didn't figure you wanted us running saws at 1:30 AM and I am doing meetings and other boss stuff today. Headed that way prior to my 2:00 PM though.

doomy3
09-25-2012, 11:52 AM
I didn't figure you wanted us running saws at 1:30 AM and I am doing meetings and other boss stuff today. Headed that way prior to my 2:00 PM though.

I'm just kidding. I know your guy is there today. I'm back at the office today, so text me later and I can meet up with you. I have a 4:00 closing but should be done by about 5:00.

TEX
09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
You could post a poll asking is shit taste great and 5% would say yes.

LOL! :clap: There's my answer.

TEX
09-25-2012, 12:10 PM

I KNEW you would be one of the one's that saw it Seattle's way. LOL! All fine and well that you're wronglfully interpreting the dual posession rule BUT you left out the whole blatent offensive pass interference non-call. There is NO doubt about that one. It happend before the catch. GAME OVER. GB Wins.

The Franchise
09-25-2012, 12:10 PM
josh sitton ‏@jsitton71

The nfl needs to come to gb and apologize to us for fucking us! These refs r bums!

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 12:14 PM

So I'll (barely) vote for Seattle. But the truth is this was an amazing, amazing play and a really difficult call if you follow the rules as written and not insert some other non-rule standard of your own.LMAO You could NOT be more wrong.

displacedinMN
09-25-2012, 12:14 PM
1. pass interference- Green Bay wins

2. Interception- Green Bay wins

3. Tate grabbed onto the ball AFTER possession by GB- Green Bay wins.

4. We will have real refs by Thursday.

-IMHO-the refs are not bad refs-just not qualified to do NFL games at the speed and the number of rules that game has.

Most refs work up and get scouted into the NFL-don't just get placed in the NFL at random.
I would guess most of them have brown shorts after the game.

blaise
09-25-2012, 12:20 PM
LMAO You could NOT be more wrong.

He thinks it makes him smart to argue the contrary position.

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 12:22 PM
He thinks it makes him smart to argue the contrary position.
Well, he's completely missing the OPI.

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 12:25 PM
For those voting for Seattle:

Do you have ANY clue what Offensive Pass Interference is?

doomy3
09-25-2012, 12:29 PM
For those voting for Seattle:

Do you have ANY clue what Offensive Pass Interference is?

That's rarely, if ever, going to be called on a hail mary at the end of a game.

whoman69
09-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I know it looks like a travesty, but the rule is the rule. Both players came down with the ball, TD. Tuck Rule part 2. This also isn't the first time refs have swallowed their whistle on the last play.

Bump
09-25-2012, 12:32 PM
the refs were just scared to reverse the call. They reviewed it, there is no way they could conclude after watching the video that it was a TD. No way. They knew that the crowd would have went crazy like the Browns back in the day, so they let the call stand and got the hell out of there safely.

SPchief
09-25-2012, 12:33 PM
I know it looks like a travesty, but the rule is the rule. Both players came down with the ball, TD. Tuck Rule part 2. This also isn't the first time refs have swallowed their whistle on the last play.

Yep. Both players came down with the ball all right

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 12:36 PM

LMAO You are so wrong.

Get your vision checked.

Did see the OPI, by any chance?

Amnorix
09-25-2012, 12:40 PM
That's rarely, if ever, going to be called on a hail mary at the end of a game.

Look, alot of extra pushing/shoving gets allowed, but I **HAVE** seen pass interference on an end of game hail mary, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as what Tate did.

What Tate did was so absurd, so blatantly over the top, that there's just no way the regular refs don't call it. Otherwise you might as well just say that OPI doesn't exist on hail marys.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2012, 12:45 PM
the midgets then

Omaha
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Look, alot of extra pushing/shoving gets allowed, but I **HAVE** seen pass interference on an end of game hail mary, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as what Tate did.

What Tate did was so absurd, so blatantly over the top, that there's just no way the regular refs don't call it. Otherwise you might as well just say that OPI doesn't exist on hail marys.

This. It was hilariously bad.

Ace Gunner
09-25-2012, 12:49 PM
the midgets then

took a knife

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
the refs were just scared to reverse the call. They reviewed it, there is no way they could conclude after watching the video that it was a TD. No way. They knew that the crowd would have went crazy like the Browns back in the day, so they let the call stand and got the hell out of there safely.

By rule, they cannot reverse the call by replay.

KCUnited
09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Tate set the maple bar pretty high on what you can get away with on a hail mary.

FAX
09-25-2012, 12:56 PM
By rule, they cannot reverse the call by replay.

I'm not sure to what you are referring, Mr. Dave.

They could do nothing on the blatant PI because it wasn't called on the field.

So far as the blasphemous Hail Mary is concerned, last night I was told that IR can't make the call on possession, but, according to the NFL's press release on this fiasco, instant replay can, in fact, determine possession in that situation. They just chose not to do so on the basis of "inconclusive evidence".

FAX

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure to what you are referring, Mr. Dave.

They could do nothing on the blatant PI because it wasn't called on the field.

So far as the blasphemous Hail Mary is concerned, last night I was told that IR can't make the call on possession, but, according to the NFL's press release on this fiasco, instant replay can, in fact, determine possession in that situation. They just chose not to do so on the basis of "inconclusive evidence".

FAX

They were saying last night that possession couldn't be determined by replay.

Omaha
09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Yep. Possession.

What?

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
What?
LOL

Confusion. I edited.

FAX
09-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Yep. Possession.

Well, here's the release. I got this from a Packers fan girl. They are saying that, in the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable.

http://nflcommunications.com/2012/09/25/nfl-statement-on-final-play-of-green-bay-packers-seattle-seahawks-game/

FAX

FAX
09-25-2012, 01:02 PM
They were saying last night that possession couldn't be determined by replay.

Yeah, I heard the same thing and then wondered why the booth even took the time to look at it. I mean, why review if you can't review?

Anyhow, check out the NFL's release on the deal.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
09-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Well, here's the release. I got this from a Packers fan girl. They are saying that, in the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable.

http://nflcommunications.com/2012/09/25/nfl-statement-on-final-play-of-green-bay-packers-seattle-seahawks-game/

FAXInteresting. That retired official on ESPN said otherwise.

The NFL must have made the rule change without him knowing about it.

This makes the officials in that game look even more inept.

FAX
09-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Interesting. That retired official on ESPN said otherwise.

The NFL must have made the rule change without him knowing about it.

This makes the officials in that game look even more inept.

I know. Turns out he's a moron, too.

I think he was simply vamping and making up crap under the pressure of being asked a question to which no good answer can be found.

FAX

Phobia
09-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm just kidding. I know your guy is there today. I'm back at the office today, so text me later and I can meet up with you. I have a 4:00 closing but should be done by about 5:00.
Yup. Kidding right back. They're hauling garbage out of there right now. Next trip will be tools.

alnorth
09-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Yep. Both players came down with the ball all right

That image looks indisputable to me.

After seeing the press release, I was second-guessing myself because (assuming you move past the missed OPI) the NFL was saying the defender doesn't have possession until he is down, so if he had it in mid-air but it was simultaneous when he's down, its a TD. I dont have access to video right now so wasn't sure if maybe he didn't have both feet down when he had it in the air and by the time he fell maybe Tate had grabbed it, especially since the NFL said today that there's not indisputable proof to overturn, but this image is utterly conclusive. The NFL is either wrong or is simply lying.

displacedinMN
09-25-2012, 01:36 PM
my 8th grade daughter NEVER watches football.

She said "The Green Bay guy had the ball first"

Maybe she should ref the next game.

alnorth
09-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Just saw this posted elsewhere, the NFL's casebook flatly contradicts the NFL's statement regarding having to wait for them to land before seeing who has it. The NFL is wrong if you go by their logic (GB guy had it first when they were down), and they are also wrong according to the rules and casebook (you don't have to wait until they are down).

This situation looks like a classic example of case A.R. 8.29

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2011_Rule_Book.pdf

A.R. 8.29 NOT A SIMULTANEOUS CATCH

First-and-10 on A20. B3 controls a pass in the air at the A40 before A2, who then also controls the ball before they land. As they land, A2 and B3 fall down to the ground.

Ruling: B’s ball, first-and-10 on A40. Not a simultaneous catch as B3 gains control first and retains control.

If that is wrong, they need to update their casebook.

Chiefnj2
09-25-2012, 01:51 PM
On review I don't see how they could conlcude that Tait retained control when (a) his one arm clearly comes off of the ball midair and repositions itself, (b) there are times on the ground where he clearly wasn't holding the football with two hands, and (c) the Packer had the ball clutched to his chest and secured with two hands the entire time.