PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports US Professional sports team allows fans to vote to decide to retain GM or not.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Thought this was interesting. Could you imagine?

http://www.soundersfcvote.com/

The Sounders will hold the first general manager vote in U.S. professional sports.

What is the vote?
Sounders FC season ticket members will be asked to vote "retain" or "lack of confidence" for the current Sounders FC general manager.

What does a retain vote mean?
A vote to retain the general manager is a sign of approval from the season ticket members of the direction of the team.

What does a lack of confidence vote mean?
A lack of confidence vote signifies that season ticket members are not pleased with the job of the general manager and direction of the team.

Why should season ticket members vote?
The vote provides an opportunity for season ticket members to make their voice heard and increase their credibility. Sounders FC season ticket members have the opportunity to set the tone and lay a foundation for future season ticket members.

This is an unprecedented vote in U.S. professional sports and the vision of Sounders FC owner Drew Carey.

Who is eligible to vote?
All 2012 Sounders FC season ticket members, designated season ticket holders and anyone who has paid the $125 alliance membership fee prior to October 7, 2012.

How many votes does each season ticket member receive?
One vote per seat. For example, if a season ticket member has two seats, they will have two votes.

If a season ticket member has appointed any individuals as a "designated season ticket holder" this fan will receive one vote.

http://www3.images.coolspotters.com/wallpapers/32333/seattle-sounders-fc-mobile-wallpaper.jpg

09-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Oh man please, please, please.....,.

Sofa King
09-26-2012, 07:03 AM
LMAO

Never gonna happen. Don't get your hopes up.

KC fans would just vote to keep them all anyways.

CoMoChief
09-26-2012, 07:07 AM
not in a million years.....LMAO

i couldn't even imagine.

WhiteWhale
09-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Bad idea.

Mobs are too volatile and reactionary.

htismaqe
09-26-2012, 07:12 AM
We need an owner like Drew Carey.

Sofa King
09-26-2012, 07:13 AM
We need an owner like Drew Carey.

Explain.

notorious
09-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Wow, never let the fanatics touch the reigns.

If KC let it's fans run this franchise, we would have Sanchez for QB, Curry for MLB, and that turd from Ohio State at OLB.

Imon Yourside
09-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Bring back teh Wing T!

Reerun_KC
09-26-2012, 07:26 AM

If KC let it's fans run this franchise, we would have Sanchez for QB, Curry for MLB, and that turd from Ohio State at OLB.

And Gholston?

htismaqe
09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Explain.

TIC

He is a life-long Cleveland Browns fan though, so I imagine he know how we feel.

notorious
09-26-2012, 07:48 AM
And Gholston?

Bingo.

htismaqe
09-26-2012, 07:54 AM
And Gholston?

FYI, Gholston IS "that turd from Ohio State at OLB".

:D

ChiefsCountry
09-26-2012, 08:30 AM
And MLS is more like Double A baseball tha a legit major league sport.

Sofa King
09-26-2012, 08:32 AM

Taylor Mays!

AndChiefs
09-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I have a friend that has a couple season tickets. I'll have to ask him how he's voting.

Thig Lyfe
09-26-2012, 08:37 AM
WE ARE NOT ENTERTAINED, MR. PIOLI

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

Reerun_KC
09-26-2012, 09:12 AM
FYI, Gholston IS "that turd from Ohio State at OLB".

:D

Forgive me for not giving a flying fuck about Hamas and his so called Draft expertise.

He should wear that pick like a scarlett letter... It defines him as a poster.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Springfield Cardinals ever draw 60k?

DMAC
09-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Springfield Cardinals ever draw 60k?

BOOM SON

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 09:31 AM
BOOM SON

Just saying the Sounders draw 42k fans a game. Silly comparison on his part. There are not really any metrics to back up his post.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Would be a horrible idea for the NFL. Fans are WAY too overreactionary.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Would be a horrible idea for the NFL. Fans are WAY too overreactionary.

There isnt a league where that does not apply. I think there are 4 year terms though I could be wrong.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-26-2012, 09:42 AM
There isnt a league where that does not apply. I think there are 4 year terms though I could be wrong.

True, but NFL fans are by far the worst.

htismaqe
09-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Just saying the Sounders draw 42k fans a game. Silly comparison on his part. There are not really any metrics to back up his post.

So they draw more than the Chargers.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 09:54 AM
So they draw more than the Chargers.

Are the Chargers that bad off? Haha.

That number will come out over the span of about 17 or so home games.

BoneKrusher
09-26-2012, 09:58 AM
this would be SO awesome if we had a say, Pioli would be out the door before the week ends.

Fansy the Famous Bard
09-26-2012, 10:23 AM
this would be SO awesome if we had a say, Pioli would be out the door before the week ends.

you think he'd last that long?

bowener
09-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Well, there you go, Clark. If you want to make more money, tell all of the Chiefs fans they can vote Pioli in or out if they just buy a season ticket. Guarantee they would be sold out by closing today.

Reaper16
09-26-2012, 12:23 PM

That doesn't make much sense. None really.

BoneKrusher
09-26-2012, 12:24 PM
you think he'd last that long?

he has a few Ball washers around here.

whoman69
09-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Most franchises would be firing their GM every year.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Most franchises would be firing their GM every year.

I don't know. We surround ourselves online more so with complainers. Obviously there is unrest in KC right now and we know how a vote would go however I am not really convinced that would be the norm.

You often hear the "no confidence" types all the time but often "retainers" would be a silent majority IMO.

It is also my understanding that this is not an every year thing though I need to look into it.

Either way it is pretty interesting.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 01:59 PM
That doesn't make much sense. None really.

Yea, there is really no metric to use as a crutch for that uninformed statement.

DMAC
09-26-2012, 02:13 PM

I know. Hence the "BOOM SON".

Richard_Cuckold
09-26-2012, 02:17 PM
that is funny

Titty Meat
09-26-2012, 03:12 PM

This. It's not even major league soccer despite what they call it.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 03:19 PM
This. It's not even major league soccer despite what they call it.

Money, attendance, TV, talent within sport. You name it...the statement does not make sense. The hate of soccer some have is clouding logic. lol

Titty Meat
09-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Money, attendance, TV, talent within sport. You name it...the statement does not make sense. The hate of soccer some have is clouding logic. lol

Haha are you saying the MLS draws more and makes more than the English premiere? As far as talent the MLS is MAYBE the 3rd best league.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Haha are you saying the MLS draws more and makes more than the English premiere? As far as talent the MLS is MAYBE the 3rd best league.

No.

Whoever is reading this thread to you is doing a terrible job.

Here is what you responded to and agreed with.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=8951806#post8951806

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 03:31 PM
So Billay has transitioned from "when football comes nobod will care" to his new talking point "It isn't the top soccer league in the world"

LMAO

Titty Meat
09-26-2012, 03:38 PM
So Billay has transitioned from "when football comes nobod will care" to his new talking point "It isn't the top soccer league in the world"

LMAO

No my original point stands nobody really cares about the MLS in this town. You'd be hard pressed to walk into a place throughout KC and hear anyone talking about SKC.

ChiefsCountry is right. The MLS talent is nowhere near the talent of the English Premiere. These guys you boast about are minor leaguers compared to the other talent throughout the world.

Thig Lyfe
09-26-2012, 03:46 PM
No my original point stands nobody really cares about the MLS in this town. You'd be hard pressed to walk into a place throughout KC and hear anyone talking about SKC.

Every time there's an SKC game it seems like there are a shit ton of KC people in my Facebook feed talking about it. MLS is becoming pretty popular, although it's still a little niche-y.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 03:47 PM

ChiefsCountry is right. The MLS talent is nowhere near the talent of the English Premiere. These guys you boast about are minor leaguers compared to the other talent throughout the world.

It has zero comparison to AA baseball. None. There is no metric to support that.

And you are just simply wrong about SKC. I see gear in Westport and around KC all the time...it is everywhere especially with folks are age.

They average more people in attendance than there are seats in the stadium. For the upcoming game there are cheap seats going for as much as 160 on the secondary market.

It is fine to not like it but there is no reason to be a lie about any of it. Even though it seems that is your "thing" on this board.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Every time there's an SKC game it seems like there are a shit ton of KC people in my Facebook feed talking about it. MLS is becoming pretty popular, although it's still a little niche-y.

Fair statement.

Brock
09-26-2012, 03:51 PM

I don't know what people are talking about in this town, but I do know SKC has a shitload of people going to their games.

Titty Meat
09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
It has zero comparison to AA baseball. None. There is no metric to support that.

And you are just simply wrong about SKC. I see gear in Westport and around KC all the time...it is everywhere especially with folks are age.

They average more people in attendance than there are seats in the stadium. For the upcoming game there are cheap seats going for as much as 160 on the secondary market.

It is fine to not like it but there is no reason to be a lie about any of it. Even though it seems that is your "thing" on this board.

You see hipsters in Westport wearing SKC gear that means literally NOTHING. SKC is what? the 4th page in the sports section on a good day?

They have good attendance because it's a brand new stadium and there's not much to do in Kansas City. Even the Missouri Mavericks sell out sometimes. Big deal?

Lying? The MLS All-Star game is comparable to a Triple A baseball all star game. You're the one who's lying.

KCUnited
09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
The Hanshin Tigers is probably the more appropriate comparison.

Reaper16
09-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Billay (and CC), I see that you are using "major league" to mean "the top league in the world." That works in America, where the sports we play tend mostly to be played by Americans.

Soccer is so thoroughly the dominant sport worldwide that you have many, many top-flight leagues. The Champions League tournaments help to suss out which league is stronger at any given point. If MLS is Double A then Serie A or Bundisliga is Triple A, and that isn't fair.

tl;dr: there isn't a single biggest soccer league, so your metric is fucked.

CoMoChief
09-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Until Soccer gets popular enough for mainstream, it will be a niche sport in the USA.

Billay does have a point....you really don't hear a lot of regular sports guys that talk about SKC. Those that do are generally soccer fans. Most people just don't like soccer. Just about any guy can name off 10 NBA, MLB, of NFL players....you'd be hard to find regular Joe Blow sports fan at a bar that can name off 10 MLS players...esp those who aren't named Beckham or Donovan. It's just not big yet....prob won't be for another 10-20 yrs.

whoman69
09-26-2012, 04:00 PM
I'd hate to be that GM. He would have to politic to keep his job. Sounds like the owner is abrigating his responsibility.

Titty Meat
09-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Billay (and CC), I see that you are using "major league" to mean "the top league in the world." That works in America, where the sports we play tend mostly to be played by Americans.

Soccer is so thoroughly the dominant sport worldwide that you have many, many top-flight leagues. The Champions League tournaments help to suss out which league is stronger at any given point. If MLS is Double A then Serie A or Bundisliga is Triple A, and that isn't fair.

tl;dr: there isn't a single biggest soccer league, so your metric is ****ed.

Would you call the MLS a top-flight league? I certainly wouldn't. Hell some of those guys only make like 28,000 a year.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Would you call the MLS a top-flight league? I certainly wouldn't. Hell some of those guys only make like 28,000 a year.

This all came about because it is being compared to AA baseball. And that is simply a dishonest uninformed comparison.

Titty Meat
09-26-2012, 04:06 PM
This all came about because it is being compared to AA baseball. And that is simply a dishonest uninformed comparison.

It's pretty accurate to compare the MLS to minor leagues. It certainly isn't anywhere near the best soccer talent in the world and the asking the public to vote on firing the GM is a gimmick that minor league teams would use. So ChiefsCountry is right in that aspect.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 04:09 PM
It's pretty accurate to compare the MLS to minor leagues. It certainly isn't anywhere near the best soccer talent in the world and the asking the public to vote on firing the GM is a gimmick that minor league teams would use. So ChiefsCountry is right in that aspect.

It is pretty telling you are using ambiguous terms to avoid being painted into a corner without actually saying anything substantive that means something.

This is an argument you can't even support yourself.

The Sounders average 42k a game. Which AA baseball team would you compare them to? Please...be specific.

You have already swung and missed on your statements about selling out bc there is nothing else in KC...newspaper coverage...all kinds of stuff...this is fun.

Titty Meat
09-26-2012, 04:20 PM
It is pretty telling you are using ambiguous terms to avoid being painted into a corner without actually saying anything substantive that means something.

This is an argument you can't even support yourself.

The Sounders average 42k a game. Which AA baseball team would you compare them to? Please...be specific.

You have already swung and missed on your statements about selling out bc there is nothing else in KC...newspaper coverage...all kinds of stuff...this is fun.

Actually you completely avoided part of my argument because it was convenient for you. They might sell out now because everyone loves a winner but also because they play in an impressive brand new stadium and there's not much else going on. How many times did they average 20+ k at Arrowhead? Most nights that stadium was a ghost town when they were playing.

What no counter argument on the talent level of the MLS? Not surprising.

Perhaps you can answer why I make more than some of these players playing in an awesome professional sports league?

Then after you answer all those questions maybe you'd like to tell us why such a popular sports league only got a 0.8 rating for it's championship game. Hello?

qabbaan
09-26-2012, 04:33 PM

The MLS sides might be competitive in League One in the UK, wouldn't you say? It's hard for me to see them competing in the Championship.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Actually you completely avoided part of my argument because it was convenient for you. They might sell out now because everyone loves a winner but also because they play in an impressive brand new stadium and there's not much else going on. How many times did they average 20+ k at Arrowhead? Most nights that stadium was a ghost town when they were playing.

What no counter argument on the talent level of the MLS? Not surprising.

Perhaps you can answer why I make more than some of these players playing in an awesome professional sports league?

Then after you answer all those questions maybe you'd like to tell us why such a popular sports league only got a 0.8 rating for it's championship game. Hello?

You still can't even begin to compare it to what you have been comparing it to AA baseball because that has no merit. You are moving the goal posts. Even so...

The TV element is the only one that is still getting there. And lets be absolutely clear. I am not here saying it is more popular than MLB or NFL or anything like that. There is a lot of flux in the TV situation because of how unique the soccer viewer is in relation to viewers of other sports. The structure of the championship game has been changed this year which will be an interesting experiment in the promotion of that game. More than anything consistency will help the league. Expansion is on the table right now and when those numbers get settled (my understanding is the league would like to settle at 26 teams) that kind of consistency will foster improved TV deals and viewership. There is a ton of growth that is needed in regards to TV. The fee for an expansion team for the MLS right now 100 million dollars.

The talent of the league has vastly improved over say...the last 4 years. Young up and coming Europeans see it as a good place to play because of the financial stability the league affords them. If you are playing in Italy, Argentina, Greece, Spain....you are just hoping you get your paycheck and that the go through the bank. You see that with our French All Star defender Collin to our new guy Oriel Russel who is just 20 years old and just came from Barcalona's system.

EPL talent has found a place in this league all you have to do is look Keane and Cahill right now in New York as well as Henry. EPL teams are also looking to the MLS and grabbing its players.

Right here in Kansas City one of our midfielders turned down an offer to go to the EPL so he can finish out his season here...you will see him make that move after our season is done. National team talent is all over the MLS from around the country.

The league has changed since the Wizards were in Arrowhead. It has changed a whole lot. The product on the field is completely different than when soccer was being played in Arrowhead league wide.

But how much time should I really spend countering fake arguments I never made am I right?

The salary structure of the league is for controlled growth. As such when you are a rookie they own you...for two years you will come at a pretty low salary. When you earn your first contract the money comes in. Of course for the really good guys that happens really quickly.

qabbaan
09-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Because its played on Sunday afternoon in the fall?

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 04:36 PM
The MLS sides might be competitive in League One in the UK, wouldn't you say? It's hard for me to see them competing in the Championship.

My guess is somewhere in between those two leagues if you average them out. Guys that have been coming to the MLS from the EPL don't exactly run roughshod through the league. The guy who will score the most goals....far and away the most goals this year is an American. English league guys that come to the EPL indicate they think it is on par with the Championship though I am skeptical. Maybe the best of the MLS could hang. Who knows.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
After all of this though...I am still insanely curious what AA baseball team Billay compares the Sounders to.

http://sportsblogunited.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/5e5c4__seattlesounders.jpg

CoMoChief
09-26-2012, 04:39 PM

When it comes to talent/competition I'd say the Euro leagues are much more competitive and the comparison is fairly accurate. Sure there are MLS squads that can beat some Euro teams, just like w/ the right pitcher a AA team could beat a big league squad..esp if that big league squad is the Royals lol.

US soccer has come a very long way globally in the past 10 years. But the league here in the states doesn't compare to other leagues around the world.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 04:40 PM
When it comes to talent/competition I'd say the Euro leagues are much more competitive and the comparison is fairly accurate. Sure there are MLS squads that can beat some Euro teams, just like w/ the right pitcher a AA team could beat a big league squad..esp if that big league squad is the Royals lol.

US soccer has come a very long way globally in the past 10 years. But the league here in the states doesn't compare to other leagues around the world.

AA baseball averages 5k fans a game.

Those leagues simply don't compare.

alnorth
09-26-2012, 04:43 PM

They are talking about attendance.

Soccer's not my thing, but I have to admit its actually catching on a little bit here.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Soccer's not my thing, but I have to admit its actually catching on a little bit here.

And I am really not trying to force it down anyone's throat. It isn't for everyone but people who just yak about shit to troll...I feel the need to speak up. LMAO

qabbaan
09-26-2012, 04:44 PM

There are good and bad teams in every league. I was guessing that MLS teams would finish all around the table in League 1. Maybe some could stay up in the Championship, but in that league you have 5 or 10 that have some shot at playing in the top flight next year so it might be a stretch.

I'm also thinking of leagues with similarly sized venues and budgets over there, but the two situations aren't really apples to apples. A lot of those clubs have a hundred years of history and there isn't much else in the way of pro sports.

|Zach|
09-26-2012, 04:46 PM
There are good and bad teams in every league. I was guessing that MLS teams would finish all around the table in League 1. Maybe some could stay up in the Championship, but in that league you have 5 or 10 that have some shot at playing in the top flight next year so it might be a stretch.

I'm also thinking of leagues with similarly sized venues and budgets over there, but the two situations aren't really apples to apples. A lot of those clubs have a hundred years of history and there isn't much else in the way of pro sports.

That is a big part of it as well. This league is 17 years old. The Chiefs have not won a playoff game while the league has been alive. Looking at the big picture through that prism? The league has done "really" well. It turned corner around 08 or 09 talent wise.

You can really see who does well for itself and who doesn't based on the management by ownership groups. We are blessed in KC. There are not that many embarrassing organizations in MLS right now but Chivas is one of them. They need to figure something out.

alpha_omega
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Interesting idea, but maybe not a smart move by mr. Carey.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Would we really want people like BlackBlob voting on the future of our team?

CoMoChief
09-26-2012, 05:34 PM
AA baseball averages 5k fans a game.

Those leagues simply don't compare.

I could give a shit about how many fans show up...I'm talking about the comparison of the talent US MLS league and the European leagues.

In terms of overall talent/competition MLS is like a AA league compared to the European leagues.

It's getting a lot better...I'm not arguing that, but the US has a lot of catching up to do.

CoMoChief
09-26-2012, 05:35 PM
And I am really not trying to force it down anyone's throat. It isn't for everyone but people who just yak about shit to troll...I feel the need to speak up. LMAO

:LOL:

qabbaan
09-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Would we really want people like BlackBlob voting on the future of our team?

We already have season ticket holders. Renewing their tickets is the strongest possible vote in support of the status quo

CoMoChief
09-26-2012, 05:39 PM

In regards to attendance.....soccer is really the only thing most of those countries have. So they're more into it. Soccer is Europe's NFL.

In the US, Soccer is improving...i mean anyone can see that....but they're competing with some titans that have shaped our culture for the last 100 years. It's gonna take a long time for soccer to get up to speed. IMO soccer right now "may" be about the same level as hockey. And I could be wrong about that because KC doesn't have a pro hockey team so I don't follow hockey at all...but I do know that STL people do love the Blues. I've been to games and they're a lot of fun.

Maybe it will someday become a mainstream sport like the big3....i doubt it but ya never know i guess.