PDA

View Full Version : Misc Add me to the knee injury list

Lono
09-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Played in a benefit volleyball tournament saturday night and came down wrong after a spike. At the time I told people if felt like i broke my leg. I went to the ER, they took xrays and said nothing was broken. The only thing the doctor did was look at my knee and say it was swollen. Told me to go check up with my doctor in a couple days and to take it easy on it for a week or so. They gave me some straight brace to wear. My doctor says it doesn't look good and sends me for an mri. Got the results back today and they said it was the worst knee injury they had ever seen. Torn ACL, torn meniscus, sprained mcl and lcl, and a broken femur. I guess they only see the impact fracture in car wrecks. Anyways, I know several on here have blown out acl's, what's my time frame I'm looking at here of being down? I am looking at putting off surgery until after football season, thoughts on that.

El Jefe
09-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Played in a benefit volleyball tournament saturday night and came down wrong after a spike. At the time I told people if felt like i broke my leg. I went to the ER, they took xrays and said nothing was broken. The only thing the doctor did was look at my knee and say it was swollen. Told me to go check up with my doctor in a couple days and to take it easy on it for a week or so. They gave me some straight brace to wear. My doctor says it doesn't look good and sends me for an mri. Got the results back today and they said it was the worst knee injury they had ever seen. Torn ACL, torn meniscus, sprained mcl and lcl, and a broken femur. I guess they only see the impact fracture in car wrecks. Anyways, I know several on here have blown out acl's, what's my time frame I'm looking at here of being down? I am looking at putting off surgery until after football season, thoughts on that.

Don't put off surgery. ACL recovery 8-12months. Been there done that.

Sofa King
09-28-2012, 12:04 PM
http://animatedgifimages.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/7e76e__th_clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Aspengc8
09-28-2012, 12:07 PM

That sucks man. I tore my ACL & a bit of medial meniscus a little over 2 years ago during a friday night practice. The following morning, my fiance and I were on a plane to Jamaica. I didn't get a MRI until I got back, and had surgery shortly after. In all honesty it took me roughly 2 years to get back to 100% on the field. I played about 8 or 9 months post op, and it was extremely tender to run/cut/jump on, and I hated wearing the brace. This past season was when it finally felt 100% agility wise, with no soreness after playing.

I would definitely not put off surgery too long. The faster you get in, the faster you recover. Also, you will have repair options for where they harvest the ligaments. If you plan on playing competitively, get the patella tendon graft. Do not get a cadaver OR your hamstring graft. Ligaments/tendons from your own body heal the best, but I had two teammates get hamstring grafts and guess what.. pulled hamstring all the time.

Don't skimp out on therapy.. 3x/week get it done and good luck bud.

penguinz
09-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Played in a benefit volleyball tournament saturday night and came down wrong after a spike. At the time I told people if felt like i broke my leg. I went to the ER, they took xrays and said nothing was broken. The only thing the doctor did was look at my knee and say it was swollen. Told me to go check up with my doctor in a couple days and to take it easy on it for a week or so. They gave me some straight brace to wear. My doctor says it doesn't look good and sends me for an mri. Got the results back today and they said it was the worst knee injury they had ever seen. Torn ACL, torn meniscus, sprained mcl and lcl, and a broken femur. I guess they only see the impact fracture in car wrecks. Anyways, I know several on here have blown out acl's, what's my time frame I'm looking at here of being down? I am looking at putting off surgery until after football season, thoughts on that.Why would you put it off? it will give you another reason to just sit around and watch football.

Johnny Vegas
09-28-2012, 12:12 PM
http://animatedgifimages.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/7e76e__th_clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

LMAO

Coyote
09-28-2012, 12:24 PM
That sucks man. I tore my ACL & a bit of medial meniscus a little over 2 years ago during a friday night practice. The following morning, my fiance and I were on a plane to Jamaica. I didn't get a MRI until I got back, and had surgery shortly after. In all honesty it took me roughly 2 years to get back to 100% on the field. I played about 8 or 9 months post op, and it was extremely tender to run/cut/jump on, and I hated wearing the brace. This past season was when it finally felt 100% agility wise, with no soreness after playing.

I would definitely not put off surgery too long. The faster you get in, the faster you recover. Also, you will have repair options for where they harvest the ligaments. If you plan on playing competitively, get the patella tendon graft. Do not get a cadaver OR your hamstring graft. Ligaments/tendons from your own body heal the best, but I had two teammates get hamstring grafts and guess what.. pulled hamstring all the time.

Don't skimp out on therapy.. 3x/week get it done and good luck bud.

Concur. Very good advice. Physical therapy is key. I had to have a cadaver part for my PCL but the ACL is a patella graft.

Lono
09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Why would you put it off? it will give you another reason to just sit around and watch football.

I'm in my first year of being a head coach and taking over a struggling program. We have made big strides so far and I just can't miss right now. Literally, worst possible time for this to happen.

Sofa King
09-28-2012, 12:27 PM
I tore my patellar tendon in 2007... It still doesn't feel 100% and i don't think it will ever. I used a foot peg of an atv as a substitute for a little while, but that didn't work as well as the tendon it temporarily replaced.

Chiefnj2
09-28-2012, 12:28 PM
What are they doing for the broken femur?

Fritz88
09-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Good luck. Stick to rehab after surgery. I cant say that enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lono
09-28-2012, 12:33 PM
What are they doing for the broken femur?

I have no idea really on anything yet. I have a meeting with the surgeon on Wednesday to discuss what they want to do. I was just told to stay in this stupid brace and put no pressure on my leg.

Dave Lane
09-28-2012, 01:55 PM

I tore a meniscus and cartilage in my knee last November. Stupidly only took a couple weeks off and am just about pain free now. Its still sore but can walk fine without a brace. Good luck

raybec 4
09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I had my shins blowed off by a Japan Man
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r14rozZDzrM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze
09-28-2012, 02:15 PM

perfect gif, as always. LMAO

Stewie
09-28-2012, 02:36 PM

I just wanted to quote the OP again.

displacedinMN
09-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Don't put it off

My story: At track practice for my JH team. Jumped a high hurdle-leg went one way, body went the other. Torn ACL and meniscus.

Taught the next 8 weeks. (Pain does not affect me much)

Had surgery Aug 24. Took patella tendon for my ACL repair.
Walked three days later by doctors orders.
Started teaching again Sept 4.

Never did major rehab because the doc said I would be fine.

Just did heel spur removal on the same leg. 5 weeks without walking on it.

Surgery July 6-teaching started Sept 3.

You know what you can do. Pain management, rest, work.
Good luck with every thing. Your broken leg makes this a longer recovery.

Blick
09-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Sucks man. Tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus 4 years ago. Definitely agree with the guys that said to get the patella tendon graft...I did hamstring and now my hamstring gets really sore whenever I run sprints. Just came up this year though. Also, my left leg (the side I had surgery on) is still slightly smaller muscularly than my right leg.

Good luck dude. It's going to be a looooooong recovery process. I wouldn't worry too much about putting off surgery. If I remember right, they have to wait until your swelling is down and your range of motion is at a certain point before they do surgery, or at least that's what they did with me. Got injured Feb. 20th and didn't have surgery until that summer.

Man, I'm glad I'm done with that shit. A while after surgery, I had an infection that caused a plastic screw to come loose and break through my incision. So, then I had to have another surgery to clear that and other shit up. Due to the infection, I had to have a peripherally inserted central catheter inserted into my chest through my arm, and I had to have friends/family/my gf at the time give me antibiotics that way for a while. Shit was really annoying.

cdcox
09-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Did Matt Cassel set you?

Dartgod
09-28-2012, 09:35 PM

Worse than this?

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A9-KkUH8yt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lono
10-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Saw surgeon today and get to put off surgery until the end of season but still can't walk because of the femur fracture. However, need some advice on what I should do. We requested my xrays from the er and got them in today. It shows my fractured femur perfectly and they told me there was nothing wrong. They also sent me a $800 bill that didn't even include the xrays in it. I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for something that they obviously majorly screwed up on. Should I pay it and go on or should i tell them to stick it?

mlyonsd
10-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Saw surgeon today and get to put off surgery until the end of season but still can't walk because of the femur fracture. However, need some advice on what I should do. We requested my xrays from the er and got them in today. It shows my fractured femur perfectly and they told me there was nothing wrong. They also sent me a $800 bill that didn't even include the xrays in it. I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for something that they obviously majorly screwed up on. Should I pay it and go on or should i tell them to stick it?
The fee for the x-rays might come separately from the radiology group.

I wouldn't want to give you advice on the rest of it.

Lono
11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Update on this, found out today that workman's comp is actually covering my accident since i was contracted to be there supervising. Major load off our shoulders concerning bills at least. Still will probably never be the same sports wise though. Surgery went well and recovering nicely.

Phobia
11-30-2012, 12:13 PM
That's about as good an update as could be expected. Good to hear news like that.

patteeu
11-30-2012, 01:57 PM
This isn't the kind of injury that will keep you off the active poster roster so I expect to see full effort in every post. No excuses.

Oh, and sorry to hear about it. Good luck with the rehab.

Edit: That update is good news. Congrats.

displacedinMN
11-30-2012, 03:40 PM
missed the date on post.

Congrats. Hope you recover fast.

Nickel D
11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Thank God they have highly-experienced docs in ERs these days. What's the name of the one who examined your knee? Dr. Seuss? Dr. Octopus?

Carlota69
11-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Oct 4th, playing a softball game in a "beer in the dugout" league. Running to 2nd, guy in left field throws at me like the Dodgers are scouting him, I plant and duck, tear my ACL completely and Miniscus.

Sucks so bad.

After lots of research, Ive decided to have surgery. Its set for Dec 20th. I am going the allograft route, which is cadaver tendon. Its the least painful route and has great results. Im mostly scared of pain pills. Ive never taken any, and I dont want to. Im asking them to basically prescribe me tylenol/codeine liquid, like cough medicine. I researched the shit out of that too, and thats what they give for pain when someone cant take pills.

Im scared, but it is necessary. My ACL seems to be lodged in my knee area and hindering my ability ot straighten completely. Im in a brace now, and walking the best I have yet, but not for long...

And ABSOLUTLEY DO THE PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!!!! the stronger you go into surgery, the stronger you will be coming out. Thats what they tell me anyways. Plus, PT has been awesome so far.

Good luck man!!!!:thumb:

Carlota69
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank God they have highly-experienced docs in ERs these days. What's the name of the one who examined your knee? Dr. Seuss? Dr. Octopus?
They did the same thing with me. Nothings broken, you arent dying...go home now!!! Thats all their suppose to do in the ER. They told me I had a knee sprain and I thought that meant I was ok. Yeah, knee sprains arent a good diagnosis.

EDIT: Just saw that they missed his broken femur...Like I said, ER docs arent really suppose to do anything unless youre dying...shame.

Abba-Dabba
11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Oct 4th, playing a softball game in a "beer in the dugout" league. Running to 2nd, guy in left field throws at me like the Dodgers are scouting him, I plant and duck, tear my ACL completely and Miniscus.

Sucks so bad.

After lots of research, Ive decided to have surgery. Its set for Dec 20th. I am going the allograft route, which is cadaver tendon. Its the least painful route and has great results. Im mostly scared of pain pills. Ive never taken any, and I dont want to. Im asking them to basically prescribe me tylenol/codeine liquid, like cough medicine. I researched the shit out of that too, and thats what they give for pain when someone cant take pills.

Im scared, but it is necessary. My ACL seems to be lodged in my knee area and hindering my ability ot straighten completely. Im in a brace now, and walking the best I have yet, but not for long...

And ABSOLUTLEY DO THE PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!!!! the stronger you go into surgery, the stronger you will be coming out. Thats what they tell me anyways. Plus, PT has been awesome so far.

Good luck man!!!!:thumb:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lOWKGXpl9E0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cabletech94
11-30-2012, 07:07 PM
good luck in your recoveries (all of you, that posted your own horror stories)!!!

i'm still slow, but recovering from my own drama from a year ago. keep fighting the good fight!!!