PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 3TFO: Chargers @ Chiefs, Week 4

Hammock Parties
09-28-2012, 08:39 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/27/3tfo-chargers-chiefs-week-4/

A pair of AFC West rivals square off in this Week 4 matchup. The Chargers head east to take on the Chiefs at Arrowhead stadium, one of the toughest places to play in the NFL. After a rough 0-2 start, Kansas City bounced back in Week 3 with a comeback victory in New Orleans. The Chargers, on the other hand, started off strong with two consecutive wins before a blowout loss at home.

Philip Rivers is coming off his worst performance of 2012 (-3.3). The two interceptions thrown in the loss raise concern for the veteran quarterback coming off a 20-pick season. Whether or not Rivers (and the rest of the offense) continues to be a turnover machine will go a long way in determining the success of the Bolts. As for the Chiefs, they will look to establish a dominating run game, just as they did with Jamaal Charles and his 233 yard-performance against the Saints. It is early in the season, but this is an important game for both teams. In a wide-open division, one game can make the difference by season’s end.

Leaky Left Side

The biggest weakness for the Chargers so far has been the offensive line, particularly the two starters on the left side. Left Guard Tyronne Green (-6.0) is currently the lowest rated player at his position. He has allowed seven hurries in pass protection and has struggled even more as a run blocker. He certainly isn’t making anybody forget the recently retired Kris Dielman. Forced into action with the injury to Jared Gaither, undrafted rookie Michael Harris has struggled as well. He has allowed an astounding 16 QB hurries in the past two games, and is proving that he is not ready to be an NFL starter. Rivers has been under pressure for 50 of his 110 drop-backs in 2012, which is bad news going up against a talented pass-rush duo.

Justin Houston (+7.4) had a breakout performance last week (three sacks and seven total pressures) and has been on a tear dating back to last season. His counterpart, Tamba Hali has not been as impressive so far, but a matchup against an undrafted rookie could be just what he needs to get going. Hali has played 98 of his 114 snaps on the right side of the defense, so there will be plenty of opportunities to go head-to-head with Harris. San Diego will need to give extra help to the offensive line to keep these two out of the backfield.

Charles in Charge

Coming of a torn ACL in 2011, Jamaal Charles’ (+1.9) role as a workhorse back was in serious doubt entering this season. Last week, he silenced his critics with a 33-carry, 233 rushing-yard performance. He currently sits atop our rankings for Average Yards after Contact with 3.75. With an inconsistent quarterback in Matt Cassel, and a struggling defense, look for the Chiefs to lean heavily on Charles to carry the load.

Charles will try to make a few big plays against an improved Chargers defensive front. Last year’s first-round pick Corey Liuget (+3.5 Run Defense) had a disappointing rookie year, but has improved so far in this young season. Newcomer Aubrayo Franklin (+2.9 Run Defense) has been a great addition to the middle of the Chargers’ defense. They will also look for help from youngster Donald Butler, who leads the team with 11 stops. San Diego has shut down Darren McFadden and Chris Johnson, but they face probably their biggest test with Charles.

The Return of Mathews

Ryan Mathews (+1.1) made his season debut in Week 2, but only managed 44 yards on 10 carries. He also had a costly fumble inside the Falcons’ 5-yard line that spoiled a chance to take the lead. However, if the Chargers want to get their offense back on track, they may have to look to Mathews to carry the rock. His importance to the offense can be stated in a few ways. The lack of quality depth behind him means he will have to stay on the field on all downs. He could also help take some pressure off the passing game as they have had a hard time protecting Rivers. In limited snaps, Mathews had an impressive 106.7 elusive rating against Atlanta, further proof the Chargers need to get the ball in his hands.

The Chiefs’ defense will look to keep Mathews at bay with a solid 3-4 unit that has not been great against the run. The Chiefs selected Dontari Poe (-2.5) with the No. 11 pick in the draft to solidify their defensive line, but he has yet to make a positive impact. Defensive ends Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson have been strong against the run, and Derrick Johnson (+0.9) is looking to build off a great 2011 campaign. All of the attention will be on Rivers and the Charger passing game, but if the Chiefs can keep the ground game in check it will allow them to attack the QB on second or third down.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2012, 08:40 PM
The Chargers' OL is so bad that I honestly think we will win this game by at least 10 points.

I can't fucking believe we're going to be 2-2.

BossChief
09-28-2012, 09:21 PM
The Chargers' OL is so bad that I honestly think we will win this game by at least 10 points.

I can't fucking believe we're going to be 2-2.

All they need to do is protect the football and stack the box to win. They will force Cassel to beat them and we all know how that usually ends up.

Weddle will have a big game.

Psyko Tek
09-28-2012, 09:23 PM
fuckin' optimist

TinyEvel
09-28-2012, 09:30 PM
We will wreck them all day with short passes to McCluster....ohwait.

New World Order
09-28-2012, 10:23 PM

I can't ****ing believe we're going to be 2-2.

Don't you ever say that! Remember how optimistic you seemed to be about Buffalo, and then pessimistic about the Saints, maybe SD can come here and steal one.

Remember, Casshole is the player's version of Norv Turner, both are extremely bad but only one can win.

Hammock Parties
09-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Neither of those teams had an OL as bad as San Diego's.

This is a huge factor in our favor and cannot be ignored.

I think we can win this game 17-10 or 24-10. We'll probably get a couple of easy scores off turnovers.

lcarus
09-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Neither of those teams had an OL as bad as San Diego's.

This is a huge factor in our favor and cannot be ignored.

I think we can win this game 17-10 or 24-10. We'll probably get a couple of easy scores off turnovers.

I predict Hali will have his first big game this year

Pablo
09-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Jamaal was just on NFLN Fantasy Live; and man, he's a brutally bad interviewee.

It looks like he struggles for every word that comes out of his mouth. Just a constant battle. I don't know if the wheel is turning and nothing is happening or he's just terribly frightened of mush-mouthing.

Maybe he just constantly thinks of breaking long runs all day; and doesn't have time to think or talk about anything else.

Yeah; that's probably it.

RunKC
09-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Over/under Justin Houston gets 2 sacks

Simply Red
09-28-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't expect us to walk on them. But we should win by a TD. But please believe that they'll be keying on JC by stacking line w/ blg black men.

Simply Red
09-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Rivers is the funnest of all of the AFC W QB's to watch when he gets bratty, pissed.

Fritz88
09-28-2012, 11:49 PM
All they need to do is protect the football and stack the box to win. They will force Cassel to beat them and we all know how that usually ends up.

BC? Negative?

IMBOSSIBLE!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
09-28-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm honestly thinking the Chargers might be huge paper tigers.

Beating Tennesse and Oakland isn't impressive.

BigMeatballDave
09-29-2012, 12:00 AM

That's what I thought after Atlanta pushed their shit in.

RunKC
09-29-2012, 12:17 AM

Well yeah. They don't have their best WR (the dude from SD State) and their best RB.

Their defense looks pretty sick though. I think Jamaal will have a hard time running it this week.

BigMeatballDave
09-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Their defense looks pretty sick though. I think Jamaal will have a hard time running it this week.

Turner had 80 yards on 14 carries.

Imon Yourside
09-29-2012, 12:25 AM

So it does look sick but in the true meaning of the word?

BigMeatballDave
09-29-2012, 12:28 AM
So it does look sick but in the true meaning of the word?

5.7 ypc isn't exactly good for a D.

BigMeatballDave
09-29-2012, 12:34 AM
The Charger D faced McFadden and Johnson.

Neither have done well so far this season.

aturnis
09-29-2012, 01:00 AM

In those two games, neither team even attempted to run the ball. What were Oakland and Tennessee's total rushing attempts in those games? Next to none.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 01:03 AM
@annieheilbrunn

Just heard from a source that Nick Novak signed with Chargers today and will be kicking Sunday. #Chargers

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 01:08 AM
hahahaha. Cassel is Rob Johnson.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2012/9/28/3424258/san-diego-chargers-will-win-kansas-city-chiefs

Matt Cassel

Once I find a good comparison for a player, I like to stick with it. For years now, I've been saying that Matt Cassel is Rob Johnson. You know Rob Johnson. He was the starter for the Buffalo Bills for years and was viewed as a guy that could "do it all" because he was mobile and had a strong, accurate arm. However, he kept losing his job to Doug Flutie because he was terrible under pressure and got sacked a hundred times a game.

Matt Cassel doesn't have a Doug Flutie to lose his job to. Good for him, I guess. He also has 2+ years left on his contract and they're not inexpensive (this season is actually the least expensive of that deal). The Chiefs are going to live or die with him as their starting QB, at least in 2012. That's good news for the Chargers, who Cassel has been terrible against.

Cassel has played the Chargers 7 times in his career, once as a Patriot and 6 times as a Chief. The only team that he has a worse QB Rating against is the Detroit Lions, whom he's played just once. Against San Diego, he's completed 56.3% of his passes and averaged 142 passing yards per game. He's thrown 9 interceptions and has lost 2 fumbles against just 6 touchdown passes.

When we look at just the last two years, things have only marginally improved for Matt. He's started 3 games against San Diego since the start of the 2010 season, throwing 3 picks and losing 1 fumble against 4 passing touchdowns. He's averaged 168 passing yards per game and completed 59% of his passes. That's maybe good enough to be a "game manager", but by no means has Cassel looked like a playmaker against the Chargers.

New World Order
09-29-2012, 02:18 AM
So we just need the Chargers to stop the run, easier said than done. Casshole should have his usual Grbac game, hopefully SD can pull this out.

RunKC
09-29-2012, 02:23 AM

Yeah but they were facing the best passing team in the NFL this year, so they were playing the pass.

This week they face a QB who's downfield potential is 15 yards max. I fully expect them to stack the box with 8. Probably even 9.

New World Order
09-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Yeah but they were facing the best passing team in the NFL this year, so they were playing the pass.

This week they face a QB who's downfield potential is 15 yards max. I fully expect them to stack the box with 8. Probably even 9.

Engage 8, ps2 madden style

Chief Roundup
09-29-2012, 05:15 AM

I can't ****ing believe we're going to be 2-2.

Ahh fuck man did you have to say that shit. We will lose now. FUCK :sulk:

Chief Roundup
09-29-2012, 05:20 AM
So we just need the Chargers to stop the run, easier said than done. Casshole should have his usual Grbac game, hopefully SD can pull this out.

So are you a Chiefs fan that is wishing for the Chiefs to lose?

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-29-2012, 06:57 AM
It's very simple. The way to beat the Chargers is to rattle Rivers. Hali is due. Their O line is pourous and with Houston and DJ we can blow them up.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-29-2012, 07:11 AM

CJ .8K

R8RFAN
09-29-2012, 07:34 AM
It's very simple. The way to beat the Chargers is to rattle Rivers. Hali is due. Their O line is pourous and with Houston and DJ we can blow them up.

I think you guys can beat em, Hell we had 3 turn overs on downs (bad punt snaps) and one blocked and still only lost 22-16....

We had a hard time getting to Rivers, if you can he is easily rattled.

milkman
09-29-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm curious.

Does PFF have Jerrell Powe rated?

tredadda
09-29-2012, 07:59 AM
That's what I thought after Atlanta pushed their shit in.

Atlanta has done that to everyone so far. We will be the first true test for SD as Oakland and Tenn are far worse than us.

Rausch
09-29-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm curious.

Does PFF have Jerrell Powe rated?

I'm sure he's much higher than Poe...

KCrockaholic
09-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Powe has played 46 snaps. It's a small sample, but he's rated a -0.3 which is about average. His run defense is +0.5 though. Which is slightly above average.

Right now they have Eric Berry rated as the worst run defender on the team based on their rating. He's not a terrible run defender as a safety. But when they have him playing as an in the box linebacker he's gonna get pushed around. He plays in the box 20% more than any other safety in the league. Next closest is Charles Woodson.

I really don't like the way they're using him right now.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Berry has missed several tackles.

I don't think he's near 100 percent.

And that's why he's playing as a linebacker more often in sub situations.

We may be looking at a guy who needs a full year to become the player he was as a rookie again.

milkman
09-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Powe has played 46 snaps. It's a small sample, but he's rated a -0.3 which is about average. His run defense is +0.5 though. Which is slightly above average.

Right now they have Eric Berry rated as the worst run defender on the team based on their rating. He's not a terrible run defender as a safety. But when they have him playing as an in the box linebacker he's gonna get pushed around. He plays in the box 20% more than any other safety in the league. Next closest is Charles Woodson.

I really don't like the way they're using him right now.

Berry at SS is still a beast, if used correctly.

But this kid would be owning the league Ed Reed style if he were playing FS.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 10:21 AM

You don't think there is a reason they're not playing him there?

I don't think he's 100 percent, so they're trying to using him as a guy to cover the first 15 yards instead of the back end.

milkman
09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
You don't think there is a reason they're not playing him there?

I don't think he's 100 percent, so they're trying to using him as a guy to cover the first 15 yards instead of the back end.

I think the reason they played Berry at SS in his rookie year is that they had a viable option at FS with Lewis.

They didn't have anyone they could line up at SS that could play at near the level that Berry could.

But I strongly believe that Berry, as good as he was as a rookie at SS, would be killing it at FS.

The Franchise
09-29-2012, 10:26 AM

This. This. This.

We should have been looking for an actual in-the-box SS this offseason. Berry would tear this league up at FS.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I think the reason they played Berry at SS in his rookie year is that they had a viable option at FS with Lewis.

They didn't have anyone they could line up at SS that could play at near the level that Berry could.

But I strongly believe that Berry, as good as he was as a rookie at SS, would be killing it at FS.

So you'd stick Berry at FS and play Elam at SS?

BoneKrusher
09-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Haven't watched the Bolts all year but just knowing what Rivers is capable of as a passer, i say the Chiefs lose.

milkman
09-29-2012, 10:36 AM
So you'd stick Berry at FS and play Elam at SS?

I would have drafted a SS in this last draft.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Haven't watched the Bolts all year but just knowing what Rivers is capable of as a passer, i say the Chiefs lose.

He hasn't played that well this year at all.

I don't see us getting beat by a team that can't block our rush.

The Franchise
09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
I would have drafted a SS in this last draft.

I would have put Berry at FS and traded up for Mark Barron. Berry and Barron as our safeties would have been amazing.

boogblaster
09-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Chiefs by 6 ..... home-field this week .. Rivers doesn't like the noise .....

milkman
09-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I would have put Berry at FS and traded up for Mark Barron. Berry and Barron as our safeties would have been amazing.

I thought Barron would make it to 11 in the draft, and, with the complete certainty that we wouldn't be drafting QB, he was #1 on my wish list in draft.

Marcellus
09-29-2012, 10:50 AM
I thought Barron would make it to 11 in the draft, and, with the complete certainty that we wouldn't be drafting QB, he was #1 on my wish list in draft.

2 1st round safeties in 3 years? Surely we could find a good SS in a lower round.

The Franchise
09-29-2012, 10:52 AM
2 1st round safeties in 3 years? Surely we could find a good SS in a lower round.

We did it with 3-4 DEs. Why not do it with a position that actually can positively impact the passing game?

milkman
09-29-2012, 11:05 AM

The value of the safety position has increased substantially with the evolution of the passing game.

Give me a safety tandem like that, all day, every day.

milkman
09-29-2012, 11:09 AM
If Dorsey is out for this game, I'd seriously consider flip flopping Hali and Houston.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 11:12 AM
If Dorsey is out for this game, I'd seriously consider flip flopping Hali and Houston.

Who's gonna play RDE? Ropati? Bailey? Poe?

The Franchise
09-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Who will? Probably Ropati.

Who should? Poe.

milkman
09-29-2012, 11:20 AM

Does it really matter?

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Does it really matter?

You think they'll all get destroyed?

I think Poe could hold his own.

The other guys are gonna get clowned.

Fritz88
09-29-2012, 11:38 AM

That's why I think Lewis' return is crucial.

New World Order
09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
So are you a Chiefs fan that is wishing for the Chiefs to lose?

Yes, I want a prime time qb and a regime change. The ONLY way that will happen is if the Chiefs get the shit kicked out of them.

Only true fans want this to happpen

milkman
09-29-2012, 11:58 AM

I don't think Poe has the technique to play run defense figured out yet, and will get owned.

New World Order
09-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't think Poe has the technique to play run defense figured out yet, and will get owned.

Well where the **** is shaun smith

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 12:17 PM
If this team gets run all the fuck over this weekend, with Shaun Smith not on the roster, Pioli is a massive buffoon.

BigMeatballDave
09-29-2012, 12:57 PM
If this team gets run all the fuck over this weekend, with Shaun Smith not on the roster, Pioli is a massive buffoon.

Last I heard he was way out of shape and it's why he was cut.

saphojunkie
09-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Ropati had a good game last week. I'm not overly concerned. I'm still hoping for 14-2 and a playoff win, but worst case scenario is we are one home loss closer to Geno Smith. :)

saphojunkie
09-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Last I heard he was way out of shape and it's why he was cut.

That would explain why Romeo has been in touch with him without bringing him in yet.

"Get in shape so we can bring you in. Nuts everywhere beware!"

Hammock Parties
09-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Ropati had a good game last week. I'm not overly concerned. I'm still hoping for 14-2 and a playoff win, but worst case scenario is we are one home loss closer to Geno Smith. :)

No he didn't.

He's hot garbage, especially against the run.

Rausch
09-29-2012, 02:02 PM

That's why we have Powe...

T-post Tom
09-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Nice evaluation. Tamba needs to make Rivers his personal lawn dart/bitch.

King_Chief_Fan
09-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Yes, I want a prime time qb and a regime change. The ONLY way that will happen is if the Chiefs get the shit kicked out of them.

losers wanting losers to lose....wow

BossChief
09-29-2012, 06:09 PM
losers wanting losers to lose....wow

Lets say you are playing chess.

Would you sacrifice a bishop for a good chance at getting a second queen?

King_Chief_Fan
09-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Lets say you are playing chess.

Would you sacrifice a bishop for a good chance at getting a second queen?

lets say Pioli is handing out the queens........NOPE

Chief Roundup
09-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Fuck that I will never root for this team to lose. There are ways to get that QB without having to lose. A losing season like you are wanting will do more damage to the rest of the teams psyche than it is worth.

Marcellus
09-29-2012, 06:23 PM
**** that I will never root for this team to lose. There are ways to get that QB without having to lose. A losing season like you are wanting will do more damage to the rest of the teams psyche than it is worth.

Hell at this point damn near every other team in the NFL has a legit starter.You would think we could draft a QB fairly easy next year. If we had a decent GM.

New World Order
09-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Hell at this point damn near every other team in the NFL has a legit starter.You would think we could draft a QB fairly easy next year. If we had a decent GM.

Yes they do, and most of the successful teams have qb's drafted either in the first or second round. This team obviously is good enough to stay out of the top 10, drafting wise. We can still draft a franchise qb mid to late round but if we are hanging around .500 this season Pioli will look to upgrade at other positions.

Signed,

Captain Obvious

BossChief
09-29-2012, 08:51 PM
You guys actually think Pioli will draft a safety in the top 5? Silly
Pioli doesn't draft receivers in the first...never has, never will.
Okung is the pick here.

I don't think Pioli would shy away from picking a quarterback in the first round next year...my problem is which one he would pick.

I still fear us picking around 15 and taking Landry Jones.

Chief Roundup
09-30-2012, 03:39 AM
You guys actually think Pioli will draft a safety in the top 5? Silly
Pioli doesn't draft receivers in the first...never has, never will.
Okung is the pick here.

I don't think Pioli would shy away from picking a quarterback in the first round next year...my problem is which one he would pick.

I still fear us picking around 15 and taking Landry Jones.

See this is what has me the most curious. What if we don't get Albert, Dorsey, Bowe signed. Then I am fearful that Pioli might draft a OL or DL instead of a QB stating something like we didn't have a quality starter at one of those positions vs the QB position.

tredadda
09-30-2012, 08:45 AM
**** that I will never root for this team to lose. There are ways to get that QB without having to lose. A losing season like you are wanting will do more damage to the rest of the teams psyche than it is worth.

1. There are ways to get a QB without having to lose and we have been doing just that since 1983 and have three playoff wins to show for it.

2. I bet the psyche of Indy is shattered after their 2-14 season, especially considering they only got Andrew Luck out of it.

tredadda
09-30-2012, 08:47 AM
See this is what has me the most curious. What if we don't get Albert, Dorsey, Bowe signed. Then I am fearful that Pioli might draft a OL or DL instead of a QB stating something like we didn't have a quality starter at one of those positions vs the QB position.

Yup.

Chief Roundup
09-30-2012, 10:08 AM
1. There are ways to get a QB without having to lose and we have been doing just that since 1983 and have three playoff wins to show for it.

2. I bet the psyche of Indy is shattered after their 2-14 season, especially considering they only got Andrew Luck out of it.

No we have not. We have not traded up. We have not taken a QB that was there when we decided to pass. Whether it would of been a "reach" or not for that particular QB prospect. Like Ponder, and or Locker.

No their team psyche is not the same since the Colts got rid of about half of their roster.

BossChief
09-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Fuck me

Pasta Little Brioni
09-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks Hatt!!!