PDA

View Full Version : Life Mudjack it or replace it?

Lex Luthor
09-29-2012, 12:24 PM
I've got a 20 year old driveway with several cracks in it. Portions of the driveway have dropped 3 inches this summer, and the sidewalk has a severe tilt to it.

I've received a couple of bids from mudjackers in the $1800 range. A friend of a friend gave me a bid of $3500 to pour a new driveway and sidewalk. From what I've heard, $3500 is a good deal.

What's the going rate to pour a new driveway these days?

I'm leaning towards that option. Has anyone hired a mudjacker around here? Were you happy with the result?

mlyonsd
09-29-2012, 12:29 PM
My dad had his driveway and sidewalk mudjacked about 5 years ago. They haven't moved at all. They weren't too cracked though, that might play a part in it.

MIAdragon
09-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Do it right the first time.

Valiant
09-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Depends on the cracks.

But, if you pay for a new one. Make sure they do good work.

And make sure they rebarb the whole thing. I don't care if they use the magically cement formula. Rebarb is still best.

How thick is the concrete if it gets poured?

cdcox
09-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Depends on the cracks.

And make sure they rebarb the whole thing. I don't care if they use the magically cement formula. Rebarb is still best.

I love me some rebarb pie.

Lex Luthor
09-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Depends on the cracks.

That's a good question. The bid didn't specify. I'll have to ask.

Cannibal
09-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I love me some rebarb pie.

Ha...

WhiteWhale
09-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Depends on the cracks.

Rebar?

Any concrete guy who wouldn't rebar a ****ing DRIVEWAY (which needs to support weight) is probably not really good at his trade.

He should replace it if he has the $$, but make sure that 3,500 dollars includes the removal of the old driveway. Constructions guys can be sneaky like that.

Phobia
09-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Around here driveways go for anywhere from $5.50-7.00 sqft for removal and pouring new concrete depending on the contractor, what is being removed, and how desperate the guy is for work.

|Zach|
09-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Reading Valiant and WW's posts got me thinking though I see this in the real world all the time.

When it comes to handy type skilled trade stuff construction, remodeling, in this case concrete and things of that nature I am always surprised by the wide ranging opinions of people who are seemingly very knowledgeable about how something should be done or the standard to which others should hold someone who does that work.

As someone who is not at all skilled in any of these areas it can be hard to make heads or tails of. You can get a few guys who do this for a living that seem like trustworthy people who are dealing with you in good faith have a huge variance in how they would go about one thing and usually take it a step further putting clown shoes on a way the other guy would do it.

You see this in other facets of life and professions but rarely does the standard of what is good and bad vary so wildly.

Is that just me?

LiveSteam
09-30-2012, 12:05 AM
:LOL:
Spoken like a true zoccer mom LMAO

|Zach|
09-30-2012, 12:07 AM
:LOL:
Spoken like a true zoccer mom LMAO

choo choo

Rain Man
09-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Concrete eventually cracks and stains, but gold will always look good.

-King-
09-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Concrete eventually cracks and stains, but gold will always look good.
But it doesn't compare to a diamond driveway.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
09-30-2012, 01:54 PM
heavy gage remesh is sufficient for a residential driveway. Rebar is better, but overkill IMHO.

More and more commercial pavement is being done with fiber reinforcement, no steel at all.

Iowanian
09-30-2012, 02:00 PM
You get that because there are multiple solutions to most problems. Different budgets, different climates, sub-soils, experience make people lean different ways.

You'll never get 2 surveyors to agree on the distance between 2 points and you'll rarely get 2 carpenters to have the exact same opinion.

Reading Valiant and WW's posts got me thinking though I see this in the real world all the time.

When it comes to handy type skilled trade stuff construction, remodeling, in this case concrete and things of that nature I am always surprised by the wide ranging opinions of people who are seemingly very knowledgeable about how something should be done or the standard to which others should hold someone who does that work.

As someone who is not at all skilled in any of these areas it can be hard to make heads or tails of. You can get a few guys who do this for a living that seem like trustworthy people who are dealing with you in good faith have a huge variance in how they would go about one thing and usually take it a step further putting clown shoes on a way the other guy would do it.

You see this in other facets of life and professions but rarely does the standard of what is good and bad vary so wildly.

Is that just me?

|Zach|
09-30-2012, 03:18 PM
You get that because there are multiple solutions to most problems. Different budgets, different climates, sub-soils, experience make people lean different ways.

You'll never get 2 surveyors to agree on the distance between 2 points and you'll rarely get 2 carpenters to have the exact same opinion.

Yea, that makes total sense to me. I guess what is funny is that so many are quick to call everyone elses way of doing things shit. LMAO

Rain Man
09-30-2012, 04:54 PM
But it doesn't compare to a diamond driveway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Point conceded. However, I think diamond produces too much glare unless the driveway is on the north side of the house.

ping2000
09-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Mudjack Castle . . . hard. Replace Pioli and Crennel. Then mudjack Castle again and then replace him.