PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports So you know that sport where players skate on ice and hit a little disk into a net?

-King-
10-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Turns out the players are locked out and have been for 3 weeks.

Heh...learn something new everyday.

Seriously...how sad is it that NFL refs lockout got more publicity than this?

SPchief
10-02-2012, 11:33 PM
2nd lockout in 10 years.

NJChiefsFan
10-02-2012, 11:34 PM
It doesn't help the NHL that ESPN doesn't have a contract with them. ESPN doesn't cover what it doesn't carry.

Bump
10-02-2012, 11:38 PM
I didn't even know there was an NHL lockout. It's weird living around people who care about hockey, I can't even name 1 player in the entire league.

ghak99
10-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Had no clue. :shrug:

BWillie
10-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Lol

Hockey

More lols

BigMeatballDave
10-02-2012, 11:58 PM
I was a big fan in the late 80s-early 90s.

NHL peaked in the 90s.

WV
10-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Locked out it's still better than the NBA.

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2012, 12:01 AM

Heh, yep.

It also peaked in the 90s.

-King-
10-03-2012, 12:01 AM

As of right now, it's not even better than the WNBA.

Imon Yourside
10-03-2012, 12:22 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the current NBA but I would love to have a team here.

MMXcalibur
10-03-2012, 12:26 AM
This is the worst timing for it. I can't follow my Pens, so instead I have to focus on the current dung pile stinking up Arrowhead this season.

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2012, 12:47 AM
As of right now, it's not even better than the WNBA.

Maybe, if you have a vagina.

I'd rather be urinated on than watch WNBA games.

NJChiefsFan
10-03-2012, 02:10 AM
This is the worst timing for it. I can't follow my Pens, so instead I have to focus on the current dung pile stinking up Arrowhead this season.

Indeed. The Devils/Yankees/Nets are really going to have to get me through this. First the Devils lose in the Finals, then lose their best player, then the freaking league falls apart. Cool stuff.

King_Chief_Fan
10-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Hockey and NBA are two things I would never miss

Chiefnj2
10-03-2012, 07:25 AM
First the Devils lose in the Finals, then lose their best player, then the freaking league falls apart. Cool stuff.

Don't you find comfort in the fact that the Devils have a kick ass GM/CEO who will do a good job replacing the player and keeping the team competitive?

That's the biggest difference between my view on KC and the Devils. The Devils lose a player, or have a bad season and I am confident Lou will address things. The Chiefs lose and my view is "things ain't getting better."

Rasputin
10-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Well shit. I didn't know but NHL never on TV so I'd watch it if it was.

Oh well am looking forward to watching my favorite NBA team the Kansas Jayhawks Rock Chalk baby.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2012, 07:58 AM
I didn't even know there was an NHL lockout. It's weird living around people who care about hockey, I can't even name 1 player in the entire league.

That doesn’t really fly anymore. Theres other sports networks now that carry the games like NBC Sportsnetwork. Plus if your in a local NHL market a local affiliate will carry the games.

Graystoke
10-03-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't tune into the NHL till there is snow on the ground anyway.

DaFace
10-03-2012, 02:00 PM
There are a variety of reasons that there hasn't been a lot of talk about the NHL lockout:

Around here anyway, the talk has been confined to a couple of NHL-specific discussion threads.
The NHL, while it has grown, is still a clear fourth-tier sport behind the NFL, MLB, and NBA.
Gary Bettman (NHL commissioner) seems to love lockouts. This is the third one under his watch, the last of which (2004-2005) cost the entire season. In short, NHL fans are used to this, so it's not as much of a story. (That's not to say that it doesn't suck like crazy.)
This was seen coming a LONG time ago. Most of the league experts have feared another lockout for over a year now. There's not much more talk about it now that there hasn't been for a while now.
Basically, it really sucks, but hockey fans aren't as pissy as football fans and have just kind of resigned themselves to another lengthy dispute. The NHL owners can go fist themselves as far as I'm concerned.

DaFace
10-03-2012, 02:04 PM
I was a big fan in the late 80s-early 90s.

NHL peaked in the 90s.

FWIW, this is factually untrue. Hockey has experienced pretty steady growth in terms of attendance between the 90's and 2000's. The highest season thus far by attendance was 08-09 with 23m attendees. The higest in the 90s was right around 20m.

In terms of revenues, it's an even bigger difference from what I've heard, but I can't find a good stat on that one.

Chest Rockwell
10-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm shocked at how little run and care it's generated out here, but the reason is pretty clear: both the Nats and the O's made the playoffs, so the Caps bandwagon emptied and nobody cares.

Outside of the Redskins, this place is the biggest bunch of frontrunning poseur fans I've ever seen. I never thought I'd be able to say I'd lived someplace that outdid the Front Range for that. Now I have.

-King-
10-03-2012, 02:16 PM
FWIW, this is factually untrue. Hockey has experienced pretty steady growth in terms of attendance between the 90's and 2000's. The highest season thus far by attendance was 08-09 with 23m attendees. The higest in the 90s was right around 20m.

In terms of revenues, it's an even bigger difference from what I've heard, but I can't find a good stat on that one.

Bigger arenas? Expansion teams?

DaFace
10-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Bigger arenas? Expansion teams?

They expanded a bit, but that's not the only reason for the increase. With the exception of a few teams, games aren't typically sold out every time, so the increase is a combination of more games and higher attendance.

Here's the source I found BTW.

http://www.hockeycentral.co.uk/nhl/intro/NHL-Attendance-Records.php

In terms of per-game attendance, it went up from about 16.5k per game in the late 90's to about 17.5k/game in recent years.

Spott
10-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Probably just as sad that there's a thread about a guy named Cabrera trying for the triple crown and I thought it was about horseracing because I haven't watched a baseball game since 94.

BWillie
10-03-2012, 09:36 PM

LOL WHUT

NJChiefsFan
10-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Don't you find comfort in the fact that the Devils have a kick ass GM/CEO who will do a good job replacing the player and keeping the team competitive?

That's the biggest difference between my view on KC and the Devils. The Devils lose a player, or have a bad season and I am confident Lou will address things. The Chiefs lose and my view is "things ain't getting better."

Oh for sure. Chiefs fans would kill to have a guy like Lou as their GM. I look at the Devils like the Spurs of hockey. Always have success, probably don't excite random fans, but just keep winning no matter what.

If we had a GM half as a good as Lou we would be killing it. His mental attitude alone would make this board go nuts.

L.A. Chieffan
10-03-2012, 09:57 PM
GO KINGS GO

Dayze
10-03-2012, 10:02 PM
What position does Tenow play?

NJChiefsFan
10-03-2012, 10:03 PM
What position does Tenow play?

In hockey the name Tebow is pronounced "Crosby". Team Patriots is pronounced "Rangers".

|Zach|
10-03-2012, 10:26 PM
The people that like hockey *love* hockey. Hoping for them it gets settled but the whole thing seems like a mess.

NJChiefsFan
10-03-2012, 11:12 PM
The people that like hockey *love* hockey. Hoping for them it gets settled but the whole thing seems like a mess.

Yeah not many casual hockey fans. You have a league that didn't play for an entire season, and now you add Donald Fehr to the mix. Not good.

ShowtimeSBMVP
10-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

Would expect more cancelled weeks to come. RT @BreakingNews: NHL cancels 1st 2 weeks of 2012-2013 regular season.

DaFace
10-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

Would expect more cancelled weeks to come. RT @BreakingNews: NHL cancels 1st 2 weeks of 2012-2013 regular season.

I'd like to say this is news, but it's really not. Our local Avs beat writer is forecasting that the entire season will be cancelled again.

Chiefs4TheWin
10-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Amen to that :(.

KC_Lee
10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah not many casual hockey fans. You have a league that didn't play for an entire season, and now you add Donald Fehr to the mix. Not good.

This, over and over and over.

Pushead2
10-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I play hockey all year around and its my favorite sport but I don't talk about it much here. I don't expect a season at all this year. Bettman has been apart of 3 lockouts and is still employed frustrates me.

WV
10-04-2012, 02:51 PM
In hockey the name Tebow is pronounced "Crosby". Team Patriots is pronounced "Rangers".

LMAO

Titty Meat
10-04-2012, 02:54 PM
There are a variety of reasons that there hasn't been a lot of talk about the NHL lockout:

Around here anyway, the talk has been confined to a couple of NHL-specific discussion threads.
The NHL, while it has grown, is still a clear fourth-tier sport behind the NFL, MLB, and NBA.
Gary Bettman (NHL commissioner) seems to love lockouts. This is the third one under his watch, the last of which (2004-2005) cost the entire season. In short, NHL fans are used to this, so it's not as much of a story. (That's not to say that it doesn't suck like crazy.)
This was seen coming a LONG time ago. Most of the league experts have feared another lockout for over a year now. There's not much more talk about it now that there hasn't been for a while now.
Basically, it really sucks, but hockey fans aren't as pissy as football fans and have just kind of resigned themselves to another lengthy dispute. The NHL owners can go fist themselves as far as I'm concerned.

It's bullshit. Hockey is hard to follow in Kansas City and my favorite team was suppose to play the Rangers here. I'm about done with hockey.

Titty Meat
10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Blades games were awesome. The IHL was awesome.

I wish Kansas City would get an AHL team instead of that crap they have now.