PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV An Inside Look At The Ridiculous Hype Machine That ESPN Turned Itself Into

listopencil
10-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I gave up on watching ESPN quite a while ago. I eventually abandoned cable and satellite TV all together, so it's not like I can wander by the channel and get hooked by a particular program. I do occasionally see a few minutes of ESPN at work in the break room. It typically confirms my opinion that ESPN is giant flaming pile of garbage.

Here's an interview with a guy that did radio work for them, Doug Gottlieb. It is referred to as an "exit interview" as he talks about his time with ESPN:

http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/10/03/doug-gottlieb-talks-about-why-he-left-espn-tebow-coverage/

A few highlights:

I was told specifically, 'You can't talk enough Tebow.' I would jokingly throw it into a segment. 'I gotta find 15 seconds here to talk about Tebow, all right let's move on and talk about Major League Baseball.'

Is it ridiculous how much you have to talk about Tebow? Yeah! But for whatever reason people can't get enough of that story, and they kind of stoke the fire—that's kind of what ESPN does.

They've lost that credibility, a large portion of the credibility of covering news. I think that it's now: ‘What's trending?' Focus groups. You're trying to create things there. Bernie Fine story at Syracuse. Where's that? The New Orleans story with the Saints with Mickey Loomis? Where's that? Where are those stories? Those are big stories that you guys created. You were late on the Joe Paterno story. I think there's just a different mindset from what they're doing and how they're covering it. And they always fall back on ‘Well, Bob Ley covers the serious news stories.' SportsCenter should be covering sports, they should be covering the news. I think they created it with Tebow. And ESPN embarrassed themselves in spending a week out there at Jets camp.

htismaqe
10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
It was pretty well-known that Gottlieb was unhappy at ESPN and as you can see, it was for good reason.

He's a regular on Soren Petro's show on 810, FWIW.

Munson
10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I stopped watching years ago. I couldn't stand the obsessions......Favre, Manning, Tebow, etc. They spend way too much time covering east coast teams, and hardly give any time to the Chiefs or Royals. And I hated all the stupid catch phrases from guys like Chris Berman, Stuart Scott, and everybody else.

Lex Luthor
10-03-2012, 03:35 PM
ESPN is starting to give way too much time to the constant debates between Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless. Those things are starting to look staged.

|Zach|
10-03-2012, 03:35 PM
The Dan Patrick show is really great. It is the only TV\Radio sports talk type stuff I tune into.

htismaqe
10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I stopped watching years ago. I couldn't stand the obsessions......Favre, Manning, Tebow, etc. They spend way too much time covering east coast teams, and hardly give any time to the Chiefs or Royals. And I hated all the stupid catch phrases from guys like Chris Berman, Stuart Scott, and everybody else.

Not that I disagree with you.

But you said, in the span of about 8 words, that they spent too much time on Favre (Green Bay), Manning (Indianapolis), and Tebow (Denver) while simultaneously saying they spent too much time talking about east coast teams.

;)

htismaqe
10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
The Dan Patrick show is really great. It is the only TV\Radio sports talk type stuff I tune into.

There's a reason he left ESPN too.

Sofa King
10-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I used to have espn on while i got ready for work... at least until it became a horrible sports TMZ knockoff.

Rausch
10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I used to have espn on while i got ready for work... at least until it became a horrible sports TMZ knockoff.

I think that's a perfect description...

HemiEd
10-03-2012, 03:49 PM

X2

I would rather they go back to their roots and cover sports like "Austrailian Rules Football."

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2012, 03:52 PM
ESPN is starting to give way too much time to the constant debates between Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless. Those things are starting to look staged.

I've always thought they were staged.

Mi_chief_fan
10-03-2012, 03:52 PM

Very perceptive, because it is staged.

qabbaan
10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
ESPN has turned itself into TMZ covering sports teams.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
You know it's bad when a donkey is sick of Tebow and Manning's cock's shoved down the nation's throat LMAO

qabbaan
10-03-2012, 04:37 PM

Yeah, I like him a lot too. He is like Bob Costas, no matter what the subject he always has an intelligent take that you want to listen to.

MIAdragon
10-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Id rather BME Olympic myself than watch those two idiots.

Gonzo
10-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I'd rather eat old beef stew from a colostomy bag than watch sports center. The only thing they do worth a shit are those 30 for 30 documentaries.

Buehler445
10-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I'd rather eat old beef stew from a colostomy bag than watch sports center. The only thing they do worth a shit are those 30 for 30 documentaries.

Dude....

Deberg_1990
10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
30 for 30 and Behind the Lines is great.....the rest is trash.

|Zach|
10-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I like him a lot too. He is like Bob Costas, no matter what the subject he always has an intelligent take that you want to listen to.

And gives *great* interviews. That whole crew is...for the most part likable.

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Stuart Scott needs to retire or whatever.

He's unbearable to watch Monday nights.

themanwithnoname
10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
ESPN has been almost total garbage for years. I stopped watching it about 6 years ago when it was clear that it was more about them than the sports and were doing cringeworthy stuff like that "town hall meeting" over Vick. They occasionally have something worthwhile (some of their E:60? and the 30 for 30 stuff was decent), but I definitely did not miss it when I stopped getting cable.

I did watch Sportscenter some here and there and they've toned it down to being ok. For a while there it was it was just about whatever two random dipshits they had doing it trying to come up with dumbass things to say. While I know that sounds like what Sportscenter has always been but it was so much worse. Say what you will about Berman and Stuart Scott (I'm not big fans of either one myself) but having two people that look like they're probably interns just randomly interjecting gibberish and then laughing about it made it impossible to even watch highlights/recaps.

Both of them have been following the school of "act like a jackass and say outrageous things and get pissy when people call you on it" as long as they've been on ESPN. Its always been an act and ESPN has been building up to that for years. I always hoped their token "mediator" woman they'd push out there would just scream for them to STFU, but they never did.

ESPN is now pretty much what this place is. Or at least was for the time I've been here until the season started and the Chiefs fully shit the bed and completely depressed everyone to the point no one can even really get worked up enough to fling textual feces at each other.

ESPN has some good personalities but for whatever reason they rarely show up on the channel any more. I get he has his radio show and stuff but they need more people like him and less like the murderer's row of blowhards they've been trotting out across the board. Its one thing for a late afternoon show like PTI or Around the Horn (never cared much for the former, and the latter was entertaining for like 6 months before it went full retard, actually I think I watched it for about a full year before it started to be more annoying than entertaining but it was my late afternoon sugar rush after classes), but for every single segment?

I get why they do it, but its still annoying as hell. Even other shows they seemed to be forcing people to act like stupid assholes, like Mike and Mike. It was decent serious (but not overtly so) discussion, and then they started having the smaller one act like a ****ing idiot half the time.

Van Pelt (Scott?) is another one that is rarely on but is how I think ESPN should portray itself. I think he does Sportscenter well. Him and, I don't know the guy's name, he has dark gray kinda curly hair and glasses. And of course Kenny Mayne. Steve Levy is solid too.

Frazod
10-03-2012, 05:55 PM
The Decision pretty much sealed it for me. What a bunch of grandstanding hacks. If you're not a semi-literate punk who roots for big market teams or mindlessly follows their propped-up superstars, ESPN has no use for you.

|Zach|
10-03-2012, 05:58 PM
The worst part is we pretty much all have ourselves to blame as fans. People dont watch it because it is on they watch it because they know that is what we want to see.

They are reactive...they go by ratings. Too many people like shit.

Dayze
10-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I fucking hate ESPN. Only watch when a game is on, or maybe maybe Sunday mornings. I haven't watched sport scent in probably a decade.

30 for 30 is the only thing on the POS thats any good. It's great

Deberg_1990
10-03-2012, 06:30 PM
At least there's a few more options for sports fans now.

NBC sports network, NFL network, MLB, NBA, NHL networks, Fox sports, regional metro sports, etc.....

Of course, a lot of those are on higher tiered cable packages....
Posted via Mobile Device

dtebbe
10-03-2012, 07:09 PM
ESPN has turned itself into TMZ covering sports teams.

Except TMZ is actually funny. They don't try to pass themselves off as a serious news source.

DT

Gonzo
10-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Dude....

Leaves a funky aftertaste but otherwise, not bad.

NJChiefsFan
10-04-2012, 03:29 AM
At least there's a few more options for sports fans now.

NBC sports network, NFL network, MLB, NBA, NHL networks, Fox sports, regional metro sports, etc.....

Of course, a lot of those are on higher tiered cable packages....
Posted via Mobile Device

NBCSN still has a bunch of bugs, but I like where they try to go most of the time. MLB and NHL network have great anchors. NHL just doesn't have a lot of great content, MLB does. NFL network has good content but their anchors are as "TMZ" as ESPN's are. When Faulk and Prime Time are a big part of your coverage you aren't going for quality.

jspchief
10-04-2012, 03:35 AM
It's too bad. I can remember a time when I'd wake up, turn on Sportscenter, and literally watch repeats of it all morning while I did shit around the house. Now I don't even know what channel ESPN is on.

Lzen
10-04-2012, 07:19 AM
I haven't cared for Sportscenter for a lot of years now. I think it started as early as the whole Terrell Owens drama back in Philly. But I still have ESPN as I like to watch football and basketball games.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-04-2012, 07:33 AM
There are just too many "Knowmos" out there that believe everything they spew that sit around jerkin off to false praises and outright lies given to prop up there Cowboys, Mannings, Tebows, Yankees, Red Sox, and every LA team.

blaise
10-04-2012, 08:15 AM
The only things I watch on ESPN are live sporting events and sometimes Baseball Tonight. But now, with MLB Network, I don't even watch Baseball Tonight much. There's so much contrived debate, so much self promotion and self appreciation that I can't stand it. And all the Stu Scott/ Berman type schtick is just so tired.

I like Dan Patrick's interviews, but I get bored by a lot of his interaction with the crew.
I think what makes him good with the interviews is that he won't let guys give a stock answer a lot of the time. He'll ask an athlete or coach a question, they'll give some cliche BS answer, but Dan will say, "Well, now, wait a minute. That doesn't really answer the question." Also, most radio hosts clearly have a set list of questions and they'll ask a question just because it's on their list even though the interviewee addressed it in an earlier answer. Patrick doesn't do that.

MahiMike
10-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Now that I have NFL network, I rarely watch. My son will have it on to check out baseball and golf. Top 10 plays.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-04-2012, 08:26 AM
The ESPN "Whatever big market team they are trying to fellate".coms are abortions as well.

stevieray
10-04-2012, 08:30 AM
.... how do you FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL?

women.

J Diddy
10-04-2012, 08:39 AM
It's too bad. I can remember a time when I'd wake up, turn on Sportscenter, and literally watch repeats of it all morning while I did shit around the house. Now I don't even know what channel ESPN is on.

Same here.

Bob Dole
10-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Same here.

stevieray
10-04-2012, 08:45 AM

i hear that..and the sunday night recap of the games....

Chiefnj2
10-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Once the NFL network came to be, I'm not sure ESPN had much of a choice. The NFL owns all the footage, access, etc. Tough to compete.

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2012, 08:57 AM
The midnight SportsCenter when they switch to Los Angeles is worth watching. Trouble with sports is you have to programming 24 hours a day and live games only take so much of it. You are going to have alot of rambling going on.

listopencil
10-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Yup. I would watch ESPN constantly during football season. Way back when I played fantasy football, it was a great source of information. I used to really enjoy the highlights too.

htismaqe
10-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Same here.

There was actually a time when I looked forward to ESPNs coverage of the NFL SO much that I would sit through "The Sports Reporters". :D

whoman69
10-04-2012, 12:28 PM
The problem is the more stupid and hyped they get, the higher their ratings. You even have Steven A. being copied on SNL. The worst there is Bayless. He used to be a good writer, but now is the biggest troll on TV.

morphius
10-04-2012, 12:35 PM
I gave up on ESPN a long time ago, I'm just surprised that so many people here had as well.

TheGuardian
10-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Yup. When they could cover anything and make it appear interesting, from a highlight reel perspective. It was about reporting the sports, not making up stories surrounding it.

It reminds me of how at one time, you could turn on MTV and listen/watch music all day......now it's just reality show after reality show.

listopencil
10-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Yup. When they could cover anything and make it appear interesting, from a highlight reel perspective. It was about reporting the sports, not making up stories surrounding it.

It reminds me of how at one time, you could turn on MTV and listen/watch music all day......now it's just reality show after reality show.

I was just thinking the same thing. MTV ended up putting out a second channel to show music videos. Doesn't ESPN already have a bunch of spinoff channels? Did they not think to make one that doesn't suck, or do they only put the good stuff on the higher subscription tier?

cosmo20002
10-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. MTV ended up putting out a second channel to show music videos. Doesn't ESPN already have a bunch of spinoff channels? Did they not think to make one that doesn't suck, or do they only put the good stuff on the higher subscription tier?

ESPNews is bearable. Basically a 30-min SportsCenter replayed over and over. Mostly just the highlights, with minimal to no BS and fluff segments from the hosts.

listopencil
10-04-2012, 02:22 PM
ESPNews is bearable. Basically a 30-min SportsCenter replayed over and over. Mostly just the highlights, with minimal to no BS and fluff segments from the hosts.

I think that's what they have on at work a lot. I'll watch it rarely. After a few hours somebody switches it to the regular network broadcast and it's horrible.

Ace Gunner
10-04-2012, 03:07 PM
ESPN is long gone. It's the Disney Corporation Channel.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
There was actually a time when I looked forward to ESPNs coverage of the NFL SO much that I would sit through "The Sports Reporters". :D

Me too and when ESPNews came out I watched it like a zombie

KCTitus
10-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I dont mind ESPN as a whole, but I have to take it in small doses. One thing I refuse to watch and have so for over 10 years, is NFL countdown. It has beyond ridiculous with the hype and talk about BS. I dont know when it happened, because I used to love that show, but in the 90's it was Dallas, San Francisco, Denver, and fluff every week. I got old and I gave up on it.

I turned it on a few years ago, and it was nothing but Green Bay and Pittsburgh with 20 seconds to all the other teams. I figure it's pretty much the same thing now with the glamor teams and, of course, Tebow's bowel movements prior to the game.