PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs 2013 QB

O.city
10-10-2012, 11:09 PM
This was brought up in another thread so I thought I'd make a thread out of it. Say the chiefs draft a qb in the first round this year.

Thru his first 12 starts, he puts up Brady Quinn numbers. Are you ready to move on? What does he have to show for you to be patient?

For me, I'm not so much worried about the numbers early on, just that he's improving game to game and doesn't continue to make the same mistakes over and over, then starts putting up numbers.

In58men
10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Peyton Manning

Titty Meat
10-10-2012, 11:18 PM
No.

Rasputin
10-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Geno Smith wouldn't be Brady Quinnish.

Just saying.

Phobia
10-10-2012, 11:32 PM
It takes time for a young QB to develop. It doesn't take any time at all to destroy a young QB mentally. This is why young QBs shouldn't start immediately for awful teams.

RustShack
10-10-2012, 11:35 PM
As we have learned from guys like Quinn and Croyle, 12 games max or bust. Who cares about the long list of late bloomers.

Chief_For_Life58
10-10-2012, 11:35 PM
yeah whatre u retarded? u draft a first round qb hes 22 23 years old hes not brokedick 30 year old caserole. You give him ATLEAST 3 years to develop and see how he inproves every season and find out his ceiling.

RustShack
10-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Even though some people would have been OK with selecting Weeden in the first, who is older than Quinn.

Rasputin
10-10-2012, 11:40 PM
It takes time for a young QB to develop. It doesn't take any time at all to destroy a young QB mentally. This is why young QBs shouldn't start immediately for awful teams.

I whole heartly disagree / Andrew Luck

Bump
10-10-2012, 11:43 PM
You gotta be patient man with a rookie 1st rounder. They don't usually take you to the playoffs the first year and I'm not digging this sophmore slump trend, wtf

RealSNR
Dude, this is a ridiculous question.

Provided we don't do something unbelievably retarded like draft Brandon fucking Weeden, the QB we draft needs to be given a chance. If he starts in his first season, struggles are okay. I also think he should gradually show improvement from those initial struggles. You see that in Andrew Luck right now, and it wouldn't be much to ask of the guy we draft.

Geno's the only guy I really trust to set this franchise on the path toward success. If we draft Matt Barkley, I'll be patient, though. I'll give him his time. At least a full season, two if he gets better, so on and so forth.

Phobia
I whole heartly disagree / Andrew Luck

Poor example. Dude was NFL ready out of college.

Rasputin
10-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Poor example. Dude was NFL ready out of college.

Well ok. A first round pick should be NFL ready isn't that what we want?

I'd put Geno Smith as NFL ready and with that our team wouldn't be that bad as this year what we got is going gain that experience especially along the O-line other than Hudson who really could have benifited with this year under his belt.

Now other QBs not named Geno Smith just depends where they are at for the next level, but imo the best way is to play.

Bump
10-10-2012, 11:48 PM
but ya, if the planet goes on melt down mode if our rookie QB has a bad first game, I'm gonna be disappointed in you guys.

RustShack
10-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Based on Drew Brees' first three years, he will never be a franchise QB.

Sorter
10-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Really, it would depend on his play. Does he look like Gabbert or Ponder? Both had similar statistics but one was/is horribly frightened of anything slightly resembling a pass-rush and the other occasionally made big throws on 3rd down.

Neither were very good but you saw flashes from Ponder. If our rookie struggles, I hope we see enough flashes in key, crucial areas that will provide hope.

Phobia
10-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Well ok. A first round pick should be NFL ready isn't that what we want?

I'd put Geno Smith as NFL ready and with that our team wouldn't be that bad as this year what we got is going gain that experience especially along the O-line other than Hudson who really could have benifited with this year under his belt.

Now other QBs not named Geno Smith just depends where they are at for the next level, but imo the best way is to play.

How many first round QB's drafted in the last 20 years have been NFL ready? Luck? Manning? Who else? If we're expecting any of these guys in the next class to be Luck we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Phobia
10-10-2012, 11:53 PM
but ya, if the planet goes on melt down mode if our rookie QB has a bad first game, I'm gonna be disappointed in you guys.

You're not a noob. You know what is going to happen.

Bump
10-10-2012, 11:54 PM
You're not a noob. You know what is going to happen.

Ya, you are right, I do.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/fpalm.jpg

Rasputin
10-10-2012, 11:54 PM
How many first round QB's drafted in the last 20 years have been NFL ready? Luck? Manning? Who else? If we're expecting any of these guys in the next class to be Luck we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.

How well did Andy Dalton do last year? I'd take my chances & I don't really care. Am so sick of retread I'd draft 3 quarterbacks to keep retreads off the field.

PhatAzzCrennel
10-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Matt Cassel

Phobia
10-10-2012, 11:58 PM
How well did Andy Dalton do last year? I'd take my chances & I don't really care. Am so sick of retread I'd draft 3 quarterbacks to keep retreads off the field.

I'm not suggesting QB's haven't started as rookies and done well but Dalton wasn't exactly a can't-miss, NFL-ready prospect or he'd have gone #2. He's in a good situation for him and his coaches have brought him around at a pace that works for him. So many other young NFL QBs become overwhelmed quickly that they bust. For every exception to the "rule" there are ten examples of the "rule" working as expected.

RustShack
10-10-2012, 11:59 PM

Manning wasn't that good his rookie year.

Rasputin
10-10-2012, 11:59 PM
The thing is Phobia is that the NFL has become so QB & WR friendly that young prospects are able to go out there and make a difference. This is a different time period now and we better get ours while the getting is good. There has been a flux of young QBs getting shots. The game is ready QB ready out of college with a QB that has the smarts and quick reaction.

RunKC
10-11-2012, 12:03 AM
I don't care. I would even take Matt Barkley. Say what you want about him, but he's by far a better prospect than Sanchez, Leinart and Cassel combined. He looks like the part of a franchise QB.

If we miss out on Geno, I'd love to have Barkley.

Phobia
10-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Manning wasn't that good his rookie year.

Indy wasn't that good his rookie year. Same thing Aikman experienced in Dallas. Strong first round QB talents going to horrible teams developed alongside their teams.

Phobia
10-11-2012, 12:06 AM
The thing is Phobia is that the NFL has become so QB & WR friendly that young prospects are able to go out there and make a difference. This is a different time period now and we better get ours while the getting is good. There has been a flux of young QBs getting shots. The game is ready QB ready out of college with a QB that has the smarts and quick reaction.

I agree with this and I think KC is currently ripe for a rookie QB. It would be a good situation for him and the team.

RunKC
10-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Indy wasn't that good his rookie year. Same thing Aikman experienced in Dallas. Strong first round QB talents going to horrible teams developed alongside their teams.

This. A good rookie QB could take us to the playoffs next year, ala Big Ben in 2003.

Rasputin
10-11-2012, 12:13 AM
I agree with this and I think KC is currently ripe for a rookie QB. It would be a good situation for him and the team.

YES Phobia agreeing with me fuck yeah!

:)

AussieChiefsFan
10-11-2012, 12:16 AM

Honestly, I think a Rookie QB would see the Chiefs as a dream situation to be coming into.

Rasputin
10-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Thats what I want is a QB to grow with the team only getting better with time. We can tweek the team as the seasons go to fit the needs and continue to build a championship team. It all starts with the QB imo.

AussieChiefsFan
10-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Thats what I want is a QB to grow with the team only getting better with time. We can tweek the team as the seasons go to fit the needs and continue to build a championship team. It all starts with the QB imo.

This

Phobia
10-11-2012, 12:38 AM
YES Phobia agreeing with me **** yeah!

:)

Ain't no thing. I've agreed with bigger idiots than you.

Rasputin
10-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Ain't no thing. I've agreed with bigger idiots than you.

Awesome

KChiefer
10-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Honestly, I think a Rookie QB would see the Chiefs as a dream situation to be coming into.

Except that if he ever gets injured he knows fans will all line up to pee on his open wound.

KCrockaholic
10-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Except that if he ever gets injured he knows fans will all line up to pee on his open wound.

It's SICKENING

Oh Snap
10-11-2012, 08:36 AM
It's been 20+ years since the chiefs drafted a QB in the first round. I just can't imagine it ever happening. Unless we luck out and find a Trent Green type player, we're the Cleveland Browns and the Washington Redskins before they drafted RG III.

Molitoth
10-11-2012, 08:46 AM
There are many factors:

Who is the head coach?
I don't expect any QB to strive under Romeo Crennel. His track record as a head coach is god awful, and he is showing more and more every week that he is just an absolute moron.

Who is the OC?
Is he calling bullshit predictable plays? Will he let the QB audible at the los? Does he use the run to setup the pass or vice versa, or is he an unbalanced retard?

How much talent is on the team?
I'm one to think the QB makes the WR's... not the other way around, but if WR's are dropping easily catchable balls consistently, I will not put that on the QB. I believe there should always be at least 1 open receiver on the field every pass play and it's the QB's job to find him.

Is there a running game?
I don't expect a QB to be any good with a Running back that cannot find open lanes to run through or good enough blocking. Even a mediocre running game should be good enough to open up the play action passing game.

Is the QB getting better in his mechanics?
Does he go through progressions? Audible? Find the open WR? Maintain accuracy?
Even Tom Brady and Peyton Manning throw the occasional INT from a stupid decision. It's going to happen. Do the positives outweight the negatives?

Really just use the Eye Test every week.

I knew after the 2009 season watching Matt Cassel every game that he was NEVER going to have the "IT" factor. He will simply NOT look off receivers, and that is one of the biggest detrimental pieces of being an NFL QB.

Rausch
10-11-2012, 08:48 AM
This was brought up in another thread so I thought I'd make a thread out of it.

:spock:

Omaha
10-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Ooooh, here's a topic that hasn't been discussed in 40% of the threads on the front page!

Chief Roundup
10-11-2012, 09:10 AM
It's been 20+ years since the chiefs drafted a QB in the first round. I just can't imagine it ever happening. Unless we luck out and find a Trent Green type player, we're the Cleveland Browns and the Washington Redskins before they drafted RG III.

No we are worse because they have drafted multiple QBs over the years.

The Franchise
10-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Geno Smith wouldn't be Brady Quinnish.

Just saying.

So you're saying that Geno Smith couldn't start 2 games and then get injured?

kushed god
10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Are the chiefs cursed or something, is there some sort of Kansas City mafia that doesn't allow us to draft QB's in the first round?

RealSNR
10-11-2012, 10:49 AM
It's SICKENING
I got out my calculator, and my calculations tell me it's only 89.2% sickening. So it's not quite the same thing.