PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Tod Palmer:Tampa Bay’s Freeman unfazed by change in his NFL fortune

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2012, 03:36 AM
Tampa Bay’s Freeman unfazed by change in his NFL fortune (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/12/3864488/tampa-bays-freeman-unfazed-by.html)
Tampa Bay quarterback, who played at Grandview, sees positives in the negatives.
By TOD PALMER
The Kansas City Star
Two years ago, Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman was among the brightest rising stars in the NFL.

Freeman, who won the Simone Award in 2005 while playing for Grandview High and went on to star at Kansas State, led the Buccaneers to 10 wins in 2010, tossing 25 touchdowns with only six interceptions.

Along the way, he guided five fourth-quarter comebacks, becoming the second-youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team from behind in the final quarter that many times in a season.

Plans were under way to chisel Freeman’s bust for Canton, but the NFL can be fickle. Twenty-two interceptions last year — one fewer than Ryan Fitzpatrick’s league-worst 23 — combined with a 10-game skid that capped a disappointing 4-12 season put those plans on hold.

But don’t weep for Freeman, who leads Tampa against the Chiefs at noon Sunday. He blames the spike in interceptions on trying too hard to make plays and forcing too many passes, but he also threw for more yards last year and bumped up his completion rate 1.4 percent.

So, there were positives, and Freeman — who missed one game late last season because of a shoulder injury — is convinced that on balance he improved as a quarterback.

“Honestly, and I’m going to sound crazy here, but I feel more like 2011,” Freeman said when asked about his form in his third full season as a starter. “That’s not from a standpoint of stats or any sort of black-and-white, fantasy football mumbo jumbo or any of that stuff. People don’t understand the stuff that goes into playing quarterback, especially as a young quarterback, with how much you learn and how much you grow from year to year.”

So far this season, Freeman’s first under former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, it would seem that not much has gone right through four games for the Bucs, who are coming off their bye week.

There was an encouraging season-opening win against Carolina, but that was followed by a second-half meltdown against the Giants, a tepid performance at Dallas and a flat first-half showing against Washington.

Understandably, Freeman prefers to highlight the positives, such as the fact that Tampa hasn’t lost a game by more than a touchdown.

While Freeman has drawn plenty of criticism during the Bucs’ 1-3 start, he isn’t ready to panic despite completing just 54.6 percent of his passes — 65 of 119 — for 790 yards with five touchdowns and four interceptions.

“I feel the best I’ve ever been as a player,” he said. “Each week, I’m growing in the offense and continually getting better alongside my teammates. Even though we’ve lost a couple close ones this year, we’re in a good place as far as moving forward and finding ways to win football games from here on out.”

While adjusting to Schiano’s ball-control offense, which heavily values time of possession and runs almost religiously on first down, hasn’t been easy, Freeman’s confidence and comfort are beginning to dovetail with his new coach’s confidence in him.

“He’s really developing and getting a better feel for what the offense is about and how to execute it,” Schiano said. “He’s only going to get better and better. I think the guy has elite ability, and we just need to get him comfortable with everything we’re asking him to do. And I think he’ll do it well.”

Ace Gunner
10-13-2012, 06:06 AM
I still believe this kid is going to be one of the better NFL QB's.

HemiEd
10-13-2012, 06:48 AM
I still believe this kid is going to be one of the better NFL QB's.

I always thought so, but was accused of being a K-State homer, which has a tendency to be true.

Al Bundy
10-13-2012, 07:07 AM
A LOT of Tampa Bay "Fans" hate Freeman and want him gone... JFC, my fellow Bucs fans can be real fucking stupid. There are a bunch that would trade him straight up for Tim Tebow.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-13-2012, 07:20 AM
A LOT of Tampa Bay "Fans" hate Freeman and want him gone... JFC, my fellow Bucs fans can be real ****ing stupid. There are a bunch that would trade him straight up for Tim Tebow.

We should offer a trade. Why with this organization he could hand the ball to Charles 50 times a game.

Ceej
10-13-2012, 07:21 AM
I'm also a fan of Freeman.

It isn't like they've exactly surrounded him with much talent on the offensive of the ball.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2012, 07:28 AM
A LOT of Tampa Bay "Fans" hate Freeman and want him gone... JFC, my fellow Bucs fans can be real fucking stupid. There are a bunch that would trade him straight up for Tim Tebow.

Why is he struggling?

kushed god
10-13-2012, 07:41 AM
He's been meh this season, never was a big freeman fan

htismaqe
10-13-2012, 07:53 AM
We should offer a trade. Why with this organization he could hand the ball to Charles 50 times a game.

That's what Teddy Bruschi says we should do. He said despite the fact Tampa is FIRST in the NFL against the run we shouldn't put the game in Brady Quinn's hands.

He didn't even need to say "don't let him show up my buddy Matt" because it was completely and obviously implied.

**** I HATE THE ****ING PATRIOTS!

Pasta Little Brioni
10-13-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm also a fan of Freeman.

It isn't like they've exactly surrounded him with much talent on the offensive of the ball.

Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, and Doug Martin are no slouches

Ceej
10-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, and Doug Martin are no slouches

Williams is a bum.

And even then you've named only three in Freeman's QB tenure.

mcaj22
10-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Freeman would definitely take us to the playoffs lol

I'm not saying he's a good QB but he would put this team over the hump easily

he's a victim of crappy OCs/crappy coaches. Raheem Morris/Greg Schiano are fucking turds no different than what we have had with Haley/Fat Romeo

WhiteWhale
10-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Kinda funny reading people who defend Freeman because of one good season insisting he needs a better OL to avoid completely sucking.

What happened to a QB elevating a team? Do we just have completely different standards for a QB on the Chiefs and everywhere else?

Freeman has enough around him to suck less than he has sucked. Unrelated, but so does Bradford.

qabbaan
10-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Another case of a QB who isnt a great passer turning out not to do so well in the NFL. Won't these executives ever learn?

Hammock Parties
10-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Another case of a QB who isnt a great passer turning out not to do so well in the NFL. Won't these executives ever learn?

Freeman shows flashes though. I don't know what his problem is. He has sick talent.

http://i.imgur.com/ozUMQ.gif

qabbaan
10-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Freeman shows flashes though. I don't know what his problem is. He has sick talent.

http://i.imgur.com/ozUMQ.gif

These "athlete, not passer" quarterbacks have an unspoiled record of winning nothing in the NFL. Your franchise QB is not a franchise QB unless he is a QB.

Wonder of wonders, in the NFL a QB has to be able to throw the football.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Freeman isn't an "athlete, not QB" type.

He wasn't tabbed as a scrambler coming out. He has a big arm and can throw it down the field with accuracy.

qabbaan
10-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Do you want Vince Young or Cam Newton? Basically the same thing. None of these guys are likely to stick as starters in the NFL and none of them will ever win a Super Bowl.

O.city
10-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah down the field with accuracy, yet he keeps throwing all these picks.

He has had one good year in the league and it was a paper tiger cassel year against the NFC west

RealSNR
10-13-2012, 11:07 AM
These "athlete, not passer" quarterbacks have an unspoiled record of winning nothing in the NFL. Your franchise QB is not a franchise QB unless he is a QB.

Wonder of wonders, in the NFL a QB has to be able to throw the football.
So what did you think of Blaine Gabbert when he was entering the 2011 draft?

O.city

He wasn't tabbed as a scrambler coming out. He has a big arm and can throw it down the field with accuracy.

Bullshit

Hammock Parties
Do you want Vince Young or Cam Newton? Basically the same thing. None of these guys are likely to stick as starters in the NFL and none of them will ever win a Super Bowl.

Freeman is not comparable to either.

Hammock Parties
Bullshit

He has a really nice deep ball. He's not a scrambling QB.

Rausch
10-13-2012, 11:08 AM

So he's just a $3itty QB then.

Why all the talk?...

O.city
10-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Freeman is not comparable to either.

No they are both better

qabbaan
10-13-2012, 11:17 AM
So what did you think of Blaine Gabbert when he was entering the 2011 draft?

That he wasn't ready for the NFL and was a developmental prospect.

Ceej
Other than being black and playing QB - Not sure why VY and Newton were in the same sentence.

qabbaan
He has a really nice deep ball. He's not a scrambling QB.

You can ride these flash in the pan Vince Young types to all the one and done wild card appearances you want. Watch them scramble and sell jerseys and throw a few jump balls down field. Super Bowls are won by QBs who are passers. If I'm the GM that's the only kind of QB we are drafting and investing years of our franchise in.

Eli Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Tom Brady how many times
Brad Johnson
Kurt Warner

Can't find any rings on your jersey sellers in the last decade or so. Not in any decades before that either,

Rausch
10-13-2012, 11:20 AM
That he wasn't ready for the NFL and was a developmental prospect.

He was the classic example of a guy who should sit a few years (McNair, Pennington, etc.) but got thrown in there...

Hammock Parties
10-13-2012, 11:24 AM
You can ride these flash in the pan Vince Young types to all the one and done wild card appearances you want.

:facepalm:

Josh Freeman is not Vince Young.

He's more comparable to Ben Roethlisberger, except that he kinda sucks.

When he's "on" though, he's a very good passer. Trouble is, he's just really inconsistent.

tk13
10-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Freeman is a pocket passer. I wouldn't compare him to Cam Newton and definitely not Vince Young. Vince Young never had a real good deep ball. A better comparison would be someone like Roethlisberger or Daunte Culpepper.

Ceej
10-13-2012, 11:27 AM
:facepalm:

Josh Freeman is not Vince Young.

He's more comparable to Ben Roethlisberger, except that he kinda sucks.

When he's "on" though, he's a very good passer. Trouble is, he's just really inconsistent.

This times eleventy billion.

cyborgtable
10-13-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't believe Josh Freeman is a game manager type of qb but he is being asked to be one. I think something similar happened in San Diego with Drew Brees, I'm not saying he is as good as Brees cause I don't think he is. Brees was asked to hand of to Tomlinson and rely on the defense as Marty's teams often did and he was good but nothing special until he went to New Orleans and their offense is full on attack. I think Freeman has been asked to do something he isn't

RealSNR
10-13-2012, 12:02 PM
What's with all the dumbfucks lately calling black QBs Vince Young when none of them compare to Vince Young at all?

Hammock Parties
10-13-2012, 12:22 PM
What's with all the dumbfucks lately calling black QBs Vince Young when none of them compare to Vince Young at all?

They're dumbfucks.

HemiEd
10-13-2012, 01:00 PM
What's with all the dumb****s lately calling black QBs Vince Young when none of them compare to Vince Young at all?

Racists

Obviously they haven't watched him play. Gochiefs is right on this one, exactly. He is capable of making any play, or no play.