PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Palmer:Chiefs think healthy Lewis will make difference on defense

Tribal Warfare
10-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Chiefs think healthy Lewis will make difference on defense (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/18/3873212/chiefs-think-a-healthy-lewis-will.html)
By TOD PALMER
The Kansas City Star
Two games into his NFL career, Kendrick Lewis took over as the starting free safety for the Chiefs.

Lewis, a fifth-round pick in the 2010 NFL draft, was expected to provide much-needed depth for a depleted secondary, but he quickly proved indispensable for new defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel’s unit.

Some could argue that Lewis has been the most important Chief from his draft class.

After cracking the starting lineup for the eventual AFC West champions as a rookie, Lewis missed four games and didn’t start another because of injury. The Chiefs went 1-4 in those games.

“He’s definitely the general of the defense,” cornerback Brandon Flowers said. “He gets everybody lined up and makes it easy on everybody with the calls.”

Flowers and first-round pick Eric Berry, who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie, remain the stars in the Chiefs’ secondary, but it’s Lewis, who started all 16 games last year, that holds the group together.

And it’s his absence — Lewis missed the season’s first five games after suffering a separated shoulder in the preseason — that was felt acutely in a secondary that has been roasted during the Chiefs’ 1-5 start.

On the surface, things might seem fine.

The Chiefs rank 12th in pass defense, allowing only 224.5 yards per game, but dig deeper and the façade crumbles.

The Chiefs’ secondary allows more yards per pass attempt (8.9) than any other NFL defense, and opposing quarterbacks have a robust 106.5 passer rating.

Only Tennessee has a worse opponent passer rating (107.9) than the Chiefs, who have allowed 13 passing touchdowns and managed only four interceptions.

“Kendrick is a good player for us who did a good job last year,” said Crennel, who took over as head coach this season after two seasons as Todd Haley’s defensive coordinator. “He has a good command of the secondary and he’s a great communicator back there. So when we lost him, we did lose some communication initially.”

Lewis, a New Orleans native, sees the game with a quarterback’s eye. He played the position in high school before switching to defense full-time at Mississippi.

That experience continues to influence his film study and game acumen, making him an integral piece in getting the Chiefs into the proper coverage and, in some cases, disguising the coverage to fool opposing quarterbacks.

“As a quarterback, you’ve got to know how defenses are going to attack you,” Lewis said. “With that knowledge, being on the other side of the ball now, I know what’s going through a quarterback’s mind when he sees this coverage or a certain type of safety rotation.”

His replacement, Abram Elam, didn’t bring the same nuance to the position and possibly contributed to some of veteran cornerback Stanford Routt’s struggles adjusting to Crennel’s scheme.

“When Abe came in, Abe didn’t know the system and he had to learn the system and gain the trust of the players on the back end with him,” Crennel said. “Abe did a nice job, but Kendrick has that little extra.”

Lewis’ return to the lineup at Tampa Bay last week may not show it after Josh Freeman lit up the Chiefs in the second half of a 38-10 blowout, but Lewis was able to knock some rust off, and the bye allowed the first-string secondary to get reps together for the first time since training camp.

“Now, we’re in a position where we have to stand back, regroup and just attack the second half of the season,” Lewis said. “… Some things didn’t go our way the first half of the season. I don’t know if it’s bad luck or karma. It could be anything, but all I know is we’ve got to fix it whatever it is.”

Having Lewis healthy can’t hurt.

“Every day that goes by, the chemistry is going to jell more and more, because he wasn’t even allowed to practice,” Flowers said. “Just having him back will do nothing but help our defense.”

the Talking Can
10-18-2012, 02:59 PM
ha ha

Titty Meat
10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
He made a huge difference last week

Mr. Laz
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
ROFL

only if it's because nobody else is smart enough to call the coverages

all he does is stand in center field and waste oxygen

ILChief
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Can he play QB?

BigMeatballDave
10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
:spock:

TEX
10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Whatever...

L.A. Chieffan
10-18-2012, 03:11 PM
That's it, he's the missing piece. We'd be 5 and 1 if we had Lewis.

Fritz88
10-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Pioli's PR at work.

Ace Gunner
10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Thx for the word. Scott.

ModSocks
10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Can he play QB?

This.

I don't give a fuck a fuck if RAY lewis was on D, it'd still be the same fucking problem.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-18-2012, 03:26 PM
The Chiefs’ secondary allows more yards per pass attempt (8.9) than any other NFL defense, and opposing quarterbacks have a robust 106.5 passer rating.

Only Tennessee has a worse opponent passer rating (107.9) than the Chiefs, who have allowed 13 passing touchdowns and managed only four interceptions.

I feel like a dumbfuck for pimping this D all offseason. 2012 the year of PGM fail. Fuck this team.

GoShox
10-18-2012, 03:29 PM

I feel like a dumb**** for pimping this D all offseason. 2012 the year of PGM fail. **** this team.

Could be worse, I was even dumb enough to think that the failure of Week 1 only happened because Jacques Reeves was "defending" Julio Jones and that he was the sole problem. What a false statement that was.

Marco Polo
10-18-2012, 03:30 PM
1-15 for Geno!

BoneKrusher
10-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Omaha Omaha

crazycoffey
10-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Omaha Omaha

that is just as irritating to read as it is to hear from casshole

RealSNR
10-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Matt Cassel deserves another year's chance so he can work with a healthy Berry, Moeaki, and Charles, AND have a defense led by the formidable Kendrick Lewis all season /Pioli

mcaj22
10-18-2012, 04:07 PM
secondary is so bad

safeties are overrated or in most cases (Lewis, Elam, Daniels) absolute garbage

Hammock Parties
10-18-2012, 05:53 PM
He's a turd who can't tackle.

BigMeatballDave
10-18-2012, 05:56 PM

I feel like a dumbfuck for pimping this D all offseason. 2012 the year of PGM fail. Fuck this team.

Heh, you weren't alone.

What a klusterfuck.

It would be interesting to see if it's poor scheme/coaching or just shitty players.

BlackHelicopters
10-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Our problems are solved. Welcome back Mr. Lewis.

hometeam
10-18-2012, 06:51 PM
that is just as irritating to read as it is to hear from casshole

Its because when you read it it comes out in Cassels stupid voice.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-18-2012, 06:54 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110907150645/deusex/en/images/thumb/6/6b/JCDenton2.png/176px-JCDenton2.png

Suuuure.

dannybcaitlyn
10-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Looked like he was playing not to get hurt against Tampa. Really can't be effective like that. He's probably one hit from being done!

el borracho
10-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Chiefs think healthy Lewis will make difference on defense

:rolleyes: Yeah... that's the problem.

Sorter
10-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Looked like he was playing not to get hurt against Tampa. Really can't be effective like that. He's probably one hit from being done!

Honestly, that sucks. Lewis has busted his ass to get to the level of productivity he's achieved in this league. He can't tackle and his shoulder issues have played into that. A bummer for a guy who truly is above average playing FS but can't tackle because he's brittle. :(

By all accounts, he's a wonderful guy too. I can't be too hard on him because of that.

tecumseh
10-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Jamal Charles, Tamba Hali, Justin Houston. Everyone else is performing at average or worse. Coaching is the deathsmell of fail. Moving on.

Psyko Tek
10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
1-15 for Geno!

3 and 12, I can't abide getting swept by the fade and the donks

Priest31kc
10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
We go from one of the best pass defenses in the NFL last year without Berry...to allowing the highest passing yards per attempt this year....

Neat.

Hammock Parties
10-18-2012, 09:01 PM
We go from one of the best pass defenses in the NFL last year without Berry...to allowing the highest passing yards per attempt this year....

Neat.

Last year was a mirage. We played so many shitty quarterbacks our defensive ranking was a big lie.

rabblerouser
10-19-2012, 06:10 AM
Its because when you read it it comes out in Cassels stupid voice.

What's amazing...he's checking into that sweep play with 'Omaha' - and it's like one of 3 audibles he has.

Fuck this shit. There's GOTTA be something else to do with my Sundays.

Fuck it.

Ace Gunner
10-19-2012, 06:18 AM
This.

I don't give a **** a **** if RAY lewis was on D, it'd still be the same ****ing problem.

If Ray Lewis was on this team, Matt Cassel would have broken his hand on him by now:D

bevischief
10-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Omaha Omaha

We need this on the next banner. Omaha Omaha fire Pioli SaveourChiefs.com.

Woodchuck
10-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Wow, what a bad read. Lewis sucked last week. He's soft and we need someone else. Maybe he could play in that CB/S tweener role that Daniels plays in next year but, the Lewis experiment is about over imo. How long did he split time with McGraw? He was mostly a nickel and dime guy in his first couple of years. It's time to move on.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-19-2012, 07:00 AM
With Lewis back we could very well end up 11-5.

munkey
10-19-2012, 07:28 AM
With Lewis back we could very well end up 11-5.

THIS!!!!

They still have a chance to turn this around...;)

crazycoffey
10-19-2012, 07:41 AM
THIS!!!!

They still have a chance to turn this around...;)

The titanic could have turned around too, but it wouldn't have stopped the sinking.

MotherfuckerJones
10-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Did a lot of good against TB

Rausch
10-19-2012, 08:11 AM

Neat.

Injuries, an insane amount of turnovers, and HORRIBLE coaching...

King_Chief_Fan
10-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Omaha Omaha

and whole world knows what it means....why not mix it up a little bit?

call it oh shit, oh shit or oh no, oh no

MotherfuckerJones
10-19-2012, 08:20 AM
This entire D is soft!! Ive never seen such a pu**y finese defense. GO HIT SOMEONE!!

KCFalcon59
10-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Kendrick Lewis is a non-tackling POS. I just cringe when a play goes his way. Guaranteed fail.

saphojunkie
10-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I figured out the problem...

It's my belt.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ni-QOPmJuzU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

whoman69
10-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Errr...ok

Easy 6
10-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah, and Custer thought 300 men could ride herd on the combined Sioux-Cheyenne nations.