PDA

View Full Version : Football Nick Saban

notorious
10-18-2012, 10:53 PM
ESPN has been teasing this a little bit lately. "They" are saying that he will get bored at Bama and will want to get a legit shot at the NFL (Miami stuck him with Culpepper when he wanted Brees, blah blah blah). "They" are saying Cleveland might be his next stop.

Saban and Belichick are good friends. There is a very strong possiblity that Saban is connected to our shitty GM in some way.

What if Saban gets hired as our next HC? What if Crennel was hired to to hold the position until Saban was ready?

Do you think Saban can win in the NFL? Would you still hate Pioli if he hired Saban and got him a (true) franchise QB?

CaliforniaChief
10-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I'd still hate him.

Discuss Thrower
10-18-2012, 10:55 PM
He'd be an idiot to leave Bama.

notorious
10-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I'd still hate him.

Yep.

If he lucked into a playoff win, I would still probably have a strong distaste for him.

RealSNR
10-18-2012, 10:56 PM
That would mean Pioli would still be here, in which case I wouldn't really give a shit. I'll be rooting for a different team.

notorious
10-18-2012, 10:56 PM
He'd be an idiot to leave Bama.

Just like LSU?

Discuss Thrower
10-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Just like LSU?

When it comes to "National Brand" Bama > LSU.

Saccopoo
10-18-2012, 11:03 PM
http://images.wikia.com/halofanon/images/c/c4/Wtf_is_this_shit.jpg

notorious
10-18-2012, 11:03 PM
When it comes to "National Brand" Bama > LSU.

Well, ya.

When he left LSU for Miami everyone thought he was insane, too.

Some coaches are wired different. He is obviously not tied to staying at one place, even if he is dominant.

Titty Meat
10-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Saban sucked in Miami IRC he picked Culpepper over Brees.

Besides that Sabans style of being a hard ass won't work in the NFL.

noa
10-18-2012, 11:15 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/080/164/364.jpg

notorious
10-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Saban sucked in Miami IRC he picked Culpepper over Brees.

Besides that Sabans style of being a hard ass won't work in the NFL.

He didn't want Culpepper, he wanted Brees, or at least that's what I have heard 10 times the last two days.

Being a details-orientated hardass is a positive when it comes to NFL coaches.

mcaj22
10-18-2012, 11:33 PM
and when Saban wants QB x or y and Pioli still wants Cassel or some turd backup from the Pats?

then what. Same exact scenario of shit. The only way is to cut that Patriots Tree Snake at its head and that starts with Pioli. Clean this Chiefs franchise of all this Patriots Way cancer garbage and lets start fresh. New faces, new names, new schemes, new connections.

I dont want everything traced back to Bill Parcells and the 95 Cleveland fucking shit garbage Browns.

This shit was trash in the 90s and its trash in 2012.

10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Saban can't coach an NFL team. PERIOD. End of story.

Bewbies
10-18-2012, 11:48 PM
http://images.wikia.com/halofanon/images/c/c4/Wtf_is_this_shit.jpg

This. LMAO

tk13
10-18-2012, 11:50 PM
On the other hand, Saban could be sitting there thinking if Greg Schiano can do it, so can I.

L.A. Chieffan
10-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Saban was with Pioli in Cleveland

mcaj22
10-19-2012, 12:26 AM
if Pioli is here to stay then Romeo will be thrown under the bus and since hes 150 years old it will either buy Saban or Frerentz

one of Pioli's boys. Pick your poison. Which turd is shinier. It could very well be old man Romeo is just a placeholder for either one.

ChiefGator
10-19-2012, 03:21 AM
Saban is a hell of a coach, but there is no way Pioli would hire him. Saban has a way of not holding his tongue which would drive Pioli nuts. And he would take spotlight away from Scott... another reason he won't do it.

Given a better situation than Miami, he could be very successful in the NFL.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Alabama juggernaut derailed a bit either. ;)

J Diddy
10-19-2012, 06:03 AM
If he were to leave Bama the only place I'd want to see him go is to KC. That being said, I hope he will stay at Bama.

acesn8s
10-19-2012, 06:08 AM
Frerentz doesn't want to leave Iowa

Brooklyn
10-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Shouldn't the obvious choice be sending them both to Cleveland? I've got Fat Scott's bag's packed and ready to go to the bus station. Let's just wait till the season is over so the Browns don't take the #1 pick.

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2012, 06:34 AM
I think Saban wil return to the NFL. Great comment on Mike and Mike yesterday that Saban is the type of competitive guy who loves a good challenge, and probably would never want to retire knowing he was an NFL failure. Not to mention that college football is draining, since he has to not only coach, but recruit.

But give up the pipe dream that he'd ever come to KC. He's not going to give up a good job so he can be micromanaged by an egotistical prick.

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2012, 06:35 AM
if Pioli is here to stay then Romeo will be thrown under the bus and since hes 150 years old it will either buy Saban or Frerentz

one of Pioli's boys. Pick your poison. Which turd is shinier. It could very well be old man Romeo is just a placeholder for either one.

There are 2 other guys available. And neither one of them is going to make you happy.

Deberg_1990
10-19-2012, 06:41 AM
There are 2 other guys available. And neither one of them is going to make you happy.

Mangini and McDaniels?

Woodchuck
10-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Saban can't coach an NFL team. PERIOD. End of story.

Aside from Jimmy Johnson, what college coach really can? I don't really count Barry Switzer but, they are the only two who have had big success at both levels. We need an NFL coach imo.

Supposibly, Cleveland will be pushing hard for Saban. He was the DC when Bellicheck was there.

Rasputin
10-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Just so he quits on us too when the going gets tough? Great.

No thanks to Saban, thanks but no thanks.

Deberg_1990
10-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Saban wasnt as awful in the NFL as alot of people think.

He only coached 2 seasons, so its not much of a sample size...he went 9-7 (Hurricane Katrina Season) and 6-10 (Culpepper over Brees season).

I think he would have turned it around eventually. It was kind of crappy the way he left though....he lied to the media and fans about not being interested in Bama.

Regardless, wouldnt suprise me at all to see him get another shot in the NFL.

bevischief
10-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Mods can you take away his thread starting privileges?

displacedinMN
10-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Is Cleavland a legit shot at the NFL?

Molitoth
10-19-2012, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't mind Saban.

J Diddy
10-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Is Cleavland a legit shot at the NFL?

Is Kansas City?

Saul Good
10-19-2012, 08:05 AM
And he would take spotlight away from Scott... another reason he won't do it.

Pioli is a lot of things, but being a lover of the spotlight is not one of them.

Molitoth
10-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Is Kansas City?

Nope. We are the Browns, with better looking uniforms.

HemiEd
10-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Saban wasnt as awful in the NFL as alot of people think.

He only coached 2 seasons, so its not much of a sample size...he went 9-7 (Hurricane Katrina Season) and 6-10 (Culpepper over Brees season).

I think he would have turned it around eventually. It was kind of crappy the way he left though....he lied to the media and fans about not being interested in Bama.

Regardless, wouldnt suprise me at all to see him get another shot in the NFL.

It would fit right in line with how the Chiefs do things. Well it didn't work the first time, maybe this time it will be different.

kushed god
10-19-2012, 08:20 AM
If the price is right for this guy, he'll come - Especially if he loses the national championship this year.

cyborgtable
10-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Aside from Jimmy Johnson, what college coach really can? I don't really count Barry Switzer but, they are the only two who have had big success at both levels. We need an NFL coach imo.

Supposibly, Cleveland will be pushing hard for Saban. He was the DC when Bellicheck was there.

Bill Walsh comes to mind as does Tom Couphlin

displacedinMN
10-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Is Kansas City?

Maybe-slightly higher but just a little

J Diddy
10-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Maybe-slightly higher but just a little

How so?

DaKCMan AP
10-19-2012, 08:46 AM

I think college coaches that have NFL experience (as an assistant/coordinator/etc.) can. The guys who have NEVER coached in the NFL have zero chance at success, IMO.

mikey23545
10-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Anybody who wouldn't love to have Saban as a coach is just a meth-snortin' hillbilly idiot who roots for some college team who has had their ass eviscerated by one of Saban's teams a few times.

Nick Saban, come on down!

(well, I guess it would be come on up!)

htismaqe
10-19-2012, 09:01 AM
I think college coaches that have NFL experience (as an assistant/coordinator/etc.) can. The guys who have NEVER coached in the NFL have zero chance at success, IMO.

I think Kirk Ferentz would actually be a good NFL coach.

Don't want him for the Chiefs but don't think he'd be a failure like a lot of the others.

DaKCMan AP
10-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Don't want him for the Chiefs but don't think he'd be a failure like a lot of the others.

Ferentz has NFL experience.

BlackHelicopters
10-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Saban? Thank you, no.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Saban was the DC in Cleveland when Pioli was getting coffee. Watch the NFL Networks Cleveland 95 thing. Pioli basically narrates it.

blaise
10-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I don't feel like Saban wants to be an NFL coach anymore. I think he likes to be a little tyrant in a college program and NFL players won't put up with that for long.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Guys like Kirk are more like GM's than head coaches. I do think that Kirk could be an awesome HC, but he would only be as good as his coaching staff.

Plus, he's not ever leaving Iowa City. Dude has it too good. Job Security + 3.5 M a year + it costs nothing to live there.

the Talking Can
10-19-2012, 09:20 AM
why not get saban and petrino?

htismaqe
10-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Ferentz has NFL experience.

Oh yeah, I know that.

htismaqe
10-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Guys like Kirk are more like GM's than head coaches. I do think that Kirk could be an awesome HC, but he would only be as good as his coaching staff.

Plus, he's not ever leaving Iowa City. Dude has it too good. Job Security + 3.5 M a year + it costs nothing to live there.

Totally agree an all counts.

RealSNR
10-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Why would you move to the NFL if you were Saban, unless you wanted the challenge?

Saban can pretty much coach as long as he wants to at Alabama. The way he churns out recruits and gets his guys to play defense every year is damn near incredible. If he coached there another 10 years, I could easily see him winning at least 3 more national championships. And that's a low estimate.

Or, he could coach in the NFL, where the money is far more evenly distributed and the magic of getting a large chunk of your desired recruits doesn't happen. Oh, and if you don't win consistently, your ass is gone.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I actually think Saban would be great.

1. It is a guy who has an existing relationship with Pioli, so there is mutual respect.
2. He obviously can get the most out of his players and deal with egos.
3. Would be in the spotlight in KC, I think this is necessary in a place like KC with an owner and GM like we have.

Brock
10-19-2012, 09:26 AM
http://deadspin.com/5866118/former-dolphin-says-nick-saban-calmly-stepped-over-convulsing-teammate-in-05

Hoover
10-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Why would you move to the NFL if you were Saban, unless you wanted the challenge?

Saban can pretty much coach as long as he wants to at Alabama. The way he churns out recruits and gets his guys to play defense every year is damn near incredible. If he coached there another 10 years, I could easily see him winning at least 3 more national championships. And that's a low estimate.

Or, he could coach in the NFL, where the money is far more evenly distributed and the magic of getting a large chunk of your desired recruits doesn't happen. Oh, and if you don't win consistently, your ass is gone.
The dude likes to live the good life. And while he's paid well in college, I think he needs/wants NFL type money. He has an $11 million dollar home in GA that he's trying to sell. Why, because he wants to build on a different lot.

WTF?

Brock
10-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Well, listen, I know for a fact that people in that office, they weren’t even allowed to look at him, for God’s sake! Like, I heard a story about his secretary telling him he had a nice haircut, he kind of like grunted at her and kept walking. And then someone later, this Scotty O’Brien, that hatchet man that he had, came up to her and says, "You’re not allowed to speak to the coach! Don’t you dare speak to the coach!" Just nonsense that Scotty O’Brien—he had a hatchet man! What coach has a hatchet man? .

This sounds oddly familiar.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 09:33 AM
http://deadspin.com/5866118/former-dolphin-says-nick-saban-calmly-stepped-over-convulsing-teammate-in-05
Not surprised at all about this.

For the record, everyone likes Romeo because he's a nice guy. Problem is we want to win. So the question is, do you want to suck but have a likable coach, or would you rather have success but be coached by a dick head.

DaKCMan AP
10-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I actually think Saban would be great.

1. It is a guy who has an existing relationship with Pioli, so there is mutual respect.
2. He obviously can get the most out of his players and deal with egos.
3. Would be in the spotlight in KC, I think this is necessary in a place like KC with an owner and GM like we have.

Yes, yes.. we already know you love Pioli and think he deserves chance after chance.

The dude likes to live the good life. And while he's paid well in college, I think he needs/wants NFL type money. He has an $11 million dollar home in GA that he's trying to sell. Why, because he wants to build on a different lot.

WTF?

NFL type money? He gets paid higher than most NFL coaches.

It is worth noting that Saban’s contract with Alabama was extended in March and runs through 2020—with his salary averaging roughly $5.6 million per season over the course of the deal, per Don Kausler, Jr. of al.com.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1376842-alabama-football-sabans-future-remains-in-tuscaloosa-not-nfl

Hoover
10-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Yes, yes.. we already know you love Pioli and think he deserves chance after chance.

NFL type money? He gets paid higher than most NFL coaches.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1376842-alabama-football-sabans-future-remains-in-tuscaloosa-not-nfl
He would cost a ton. Probably 8MM a year.

DaKCMan AP
10-19-2012, 09:37 AM
BTW, I read this in Fortune last month - a good article on Saban @ Alabama and the way he runs things:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/07/news/companies/alabama-coach-saban.fortune/index.html

DaKCMan AP
10-19-2012, 09:37 AM
He would cost a ton. Probably 8MM a year.

So you think he should be the highest paid coach in the NFL despite having zero success in the NFL??

Brock
10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Not surprised at all about this.

For the record, everyone likes Romeo because he's a nice guy. Problem is we want to win. So the question is, do you want to suck but have a likable coach, or would you rather have success but be coached by a dick head.

I do not want another Saban/Petrino situation where the guy comes up to the big league, gets his ass kicked, and goes running back to where he's the big fish.

Reaper16
10-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Don't underestimate the attractiveness to Saban of the challenge of winning more national championships than Bear Bryant.

mcaj22
10-19-2012, 09:43 AM
So you think he should be the highest paid coach in the NFL despite having zero success in the NFL??

why we already have one of the highest paid GMs if not the highest paid GM in the NFL without having any success

why not have the highest paid coach too!

Hoover
10-19-2012, 09:56 AM

yep

Brock
10-19-2012, 09:57 AM
yep

How do you justify that?

DaKCMan AP
10-19-2012, 09:59 AM
How do you justify that?

Probably the same way he justifies Pioli deserving another chance. ROFL

The Franchise
10-19-2012, 10:03 AM
yep

Based on what exactly? His last NFL job performance?

HemiEd
10-19-2012, 10:28 AM

cold blooded, damn

saphojunkie
10-19-2012, 11:22 AM
cold blooded, damn

Yes, but did he step over a candy wrapper???

J Diddy
10-19-2012, 12:08 PM
cold blooded, damn

Absolutely. By sharp contrast Romeo would still be hugging him. Even today.

displacedinMN
10-19-2012, 01:40 PM
How so?

BBQ

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
That would mean Pioli would still be here, in which case I wouldn't really give a shit. I'll be rooting for a different team.

Pretty much.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I'd learn to love Soccer?

Bewbies
10-19-2012, 01:51 PM

This sounds oddly familiar.

My brother in law works with a guy that knows Saban's secretary. She tells this guy all the time about the huge ass football players that come walking out of Saban's office crying like little girls.

LMAO

Hoover
10-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Mike Holmgren was paid $7 mil in 2007,

Top paid NFL Coaches according to Forbes

Bill Belichick $7.5M
Mike Shanahan $7M
Jeff Fisher $7M
Pete Carroll $7M
Lovie Smith $6 M
Ken Whisenhunt $5.75M
Mike Tomlin $5.75M
Andy Reid $5.5M

I'm not saying whether or not he deserves that type of money, I just think that is what he would command on the open market.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Pete's kicking ass on his second go-around in the NFL.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Pete's kicking ass on his second go-around in the NFL.
I think Saban is restless. Needs a change every 5 years or so.

Pete Carrol's "success" isn't going to hurt the market for Saban either. Those national championships and all those players in the NFL don't hurt the brand either.

DaneMcCloud
10-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Pete Carrol's "success" isn't going to hurt the market for Saban either. Those national championships and all those players in the NFL don't hurt the brand either.

:facepalm:

Pete Carroll won a Super Bowl ring with the 49ers and had a successful NFL coaching career before restoring USC to its former glory.

Nick Saban has bounced around the country, from being a short time NFL assistant to several college programs, back to the NFL in Miami (where he failed miserably) and now with Alabama.

ANY owner or GM that even considers Saban is a fool. He's untrustworthy, he doesn't understand the NFL game nor NFL personnel and he's likely to jump ship at the next best opportunity that comes along.

To compare him it Pete Carroll is ridiculous on many, many levels the most important of which is that players genuinely enjoy playing for Pete.

The same cannot be said for Saban. Fuck him.

Brock
10-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Pete Carroll's NFL resume dwarfs Saban's. It's a lousy comparison.

DaneMcCloud
10-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Which of those NFL players have become something special?

whoman69
10-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Saban and Pioli were both on the Cleveland staff when Billichick was in charge there. I think that's a pretty tenuous link, but never let Scott fall too far from the tree. I think Saban's failure the first time makes him about as likely as Lou Holtz over the years in getting another chance.

DaneMcCloud
10-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Saban and Pioli were both on the Cleveland staff when Billichick was in charge there. I think that's a pretty tenuous link, but never let Scott fall too far from the tree. I think Saban's failure the first time makes him about as likely as Lou Holtz over the years in getting another chance.

Saban earns $6 million per year at Alabama, not including endorsements, etc.

I don't think there's a chance in hell that Clark Hunt approves a salary of that size for a guy like Nick Saban, let alone in excess of $6 million per.

The dude is 60 years old and had his chance in the NFL. If he truly wants to take on another reclamation project, let him take the KU job in two years after Weis is fired.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 02:39 PM
You guys make me laugh.

Pete Carroll is a ROCK STAR because he won a super bowl 20 years ago with the 49ers, but anything associated with Pioli sucks ass. I mean shit, how many rings does Romeo have? Carroll's .400 playoff record is also all-world. I know its better than the Chiefs but c'mon.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Saban earns $6 million per year at Alabama, not including endorsements, etc.

I don't think there's a chance in hell that Clark Hunt approves a salary of that size for a guy like Nick Saban, let alone in excess of $6 million per.

The dude is 60 years old and had his chance in the NFL. If he truly wants to take on another reclamation project, let him take the KU job in two years after Weis is fired.
Don't doubt this. Just seems like a Pioli move to save his ass.

DaneMcCloud
10-19-2012, 02:40 PM
You guys make me laugh.

Pete Carroll is a ROCK STAR because he won a super bowl 20 years ago with the 49ers, but anything associated with Pioli sucks ass. I mean shit, how many rings does Romeo have? Carroll's .400 playoff record is also all-world. I know its better than the Chiefs but c'mon.

You're a fucking idiot.

But we already knew that. Thanks for reaffirming.

:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
10-19-2012, 02:41 PM

No, it does not.

There's NO WAY Clark Hunt is going to pay fucking Nick Saban $7 million plus a year while paying Pioli $5 million a year.

JFC.

DaneMcCloud
10-19-2012, 02:46 PM

In addition, there is IRREFUTABLE evidence that the "Patriot Way" ONLY works in New England.

While Clark Hunt may not be as passionate about the Chiefs and the NFL as most fans, he's not a dummy.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 02:46 PM
You're a fucking idiot.

But we already knew that. Thanks for reaffirming.

:thumb:
and your a fucking douchebag

DaneMcCloud
10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
and your a fucking douchebag

Look in the mirror, Buddy

Hoover
10-19-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm not even advocating for Saban...

The Patriot Way works because of Brady. Yeah Pioli has sucked ass as our GM but its because he doesn't have a QB and had limited opportunities to get a franchise QB.

You say Clark will not pay top dollar for a coach. I say bull shit. You guys just love to bitch.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Look in the mirror, Buddy
fu@k off

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Mangini and McDaniels?

Yup. God help us all.

bevischief
10-19-2012, 03:22 PM
JFC just stop.

Brock
10-19-2012, 03:27 PM
You guys make me laugh.

How in the fuck can a Chiefs fan make fun of Carroll's playoff record? Jesus Christ. This is beyond retarded.

DaneMcCloud
10-19-2012, 03:39 PM
fu@k off

LMAO

You're as pathetic as your football takes.

Hoover
10-19-2012, 04:31 PM
How in the fuck can a Chiefs fan make fun of Carroll's playoff record? Jesus Christ. This is beyond retarded.
JFC I'm not making fun of it. Just saying its not that great. I did admit its better than ours.

Sometimes I think you guys would rather bitch than build what you bitch about.

I just listened to Athan bitch on the radio. Same shit as everyone else.