PDA

View Full Version : News R2D2 Progress Update - 10/24/2012

God of Thunder
10-23-2012, 11:01 PM
I am VERY happy with how things have turned out, and R2 is starting to look more like....well, R2 all the time! The outer skins are bonded with a combination of VHB tape and silicon. Don't ask why, it's proprietary!!

Here are a few pictures of R2's current state! As with the dome, all doors are secured with silicon so that they can easily be removed in the future when I decide to hinge them!

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/R2BP/photo1-7.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/R2BP/photo2-9.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/R2BP/photo3-7.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/R2BP/photo4-7.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/R2BP/photo5-5.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/R2BP/photo21.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z435/R2BP/photo11.jpg

As always, here's a link to my full blog, and the website for the R2 builders.

http://brandonpaith.blogspot.com

www.astromech.net

Phobia
10-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Strange hobby but very impressive work. I'll bet pr_capone could do better, though.

FAX
10-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Let's sell it and use the proceeds to fly a banner!

FAX

Munson
10-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Can it project a "Fire Pioli" hologram?

FAX
10-23-2012, 11:23 PM
"Help us Obie Wan Knobel! You're our only hope!"

FAX

Discuss Thrower
10-23-2012, 11:24 PM
God bless my fellow nerds. /salute

DaneMcCloud
10-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Strange hobby but very impressive work. I'll bet pr_capone could do better, though.

LMAO

Hoover
10-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Can I buy it from you for $50?

Just kidding. Very cool dude.

FAX
10-24-2012, 12:26 AM
"Help us Obie Wan Knobel! You're our only hope!"

FAX

C'mon guys ... that was great.

Clark's middle name is "Knobel", get it? Knobel? And R2D2 shot out the hologram for Obie Wan Kenobi to help? But instead of Obie Wan Kenobi, it's Obie Wan Knobel, get it? Like almost the same?

Calling out for Clark to help? See? Get it?

FAX

Phobia
10-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Little too obscure for me this time, FAX. Thanks for explaining it though. Now it's ruined. You can't explain them. You just have to wait for another obscure nerd to come by.

Chiefs=Champions
10-24-2012, 12:33 AM
I think FAX has jumped the Clark

Phobia
10-24-2012, 12:39 AM
I think FAX has jumped the Clark

LMAO - NOT too obscure. Brilliantly delivered. Are you always this funny?

Chiefs=Champions
10-24-2012, 12:44 AM
LMAO - NOT too obscure. Brilliantly delivered. Are you always this funny?

Hot and cold

Phobia
10-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Yeah, me too. Mostly cold for me though.

listopencil
10-24-2012, 12:52 AM
C'mon guys ... that was great.

Clark's middle name is "Knobel", get it? Knobel? And R2D2 shot out the hologram for Obie Wan Kenobi to help? But instead of Obie Wan Kenobi, it's Obie Wan Knobel, get it? Like almost the same?

Calling out for Clark to help? See? Get it?

FAX

I'm reminded of a quote. Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind.

FAX
10-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Normally, I do not utter nary a peep nor a chirple when my tireless efforts are ignored, passed by, and generally neglected, Mr. Phobia. I have come to accept it.

But come on ... "Help us Obie Wan Knobel! You're our only hope!"? In a thread about R2D2? In an Chiefs environment such as this?

I weep for humanity.

FAX

listopencil
10-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Oddly enough I was looking at something else by that author I quoted. E.B. White wrote this for Here Is New York published in 1948:

The subtlest change in New York is something people don't speak much about but that is in everyone's mind. The city, for the first time in its long history, is destructible. A single flight of planes no bigger than a wedge of geese can quickly end this island fantasy, burn the towers, crumble the bridges, turn the underground passages into lethal chambers, cremate the millions. The intimation of mortality is part of New York now: in the sounds of jets overhead, in the black headlines of the latest edition.

All dwellers in cities must dwell with the stubborn fact of annihilation; in New York the fact is somewhat more concentrated because of the concentration of the city itself and because, of all targets, New York has a certain clear priority. In the mind of whatever perverted dreamer who might loose the lightning, New York must hold a steady, irresistible charm.

FAX
10-24-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm reminded of a quote. Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind.

Well, had I posted a detailed essay on the subject of frog innards and their significance in modern day eschatology, it would have gone over equally well, I suppose.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
10-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Oddly enough I was looking at something else by that author I quoted. E.B. White wrote this for Here Is New York published in 1948:

The subtlest change in New York is something people don't speak much about but that is in everyone's mind. The city, for the first time in its long history, is destructible. A single flight of planes no bigger than a wedge of geese can quickly end this island fantasy, burn the towers, crumble the bridges, turn the underground passages into lethal chambers, cremate the millions. The intimation of mortality is part of New York now: in the sounds of jets overhead, in the black headlines of the latest edition.

All dwellers in cities must dwell with the stubborn fact of annihilation; in New York the fact is somewhat more concentrated because of the concentration of the city itself and because, of all targets, New York has a certain clear priority. In the mind of whatever perverted dreamer who might loose the lightning, New York must hold a steady, irresistible charm.

Great.

:facepalm:

You just made unfinished R2D2 cry.

Phobia
10-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Normally, I do not utter nary a peep nor a chirple when my tireless efforts are ignored, passed by, and generally neglected, Mr. Phobia. I have come to accept it.

But come on ... "Help us Obie Wan Knobel! You're our only hope!"? In a thread about R2D2? In an Chiefs environment such as this?

I weep for humanity.

FAX

I feel your pain. I really do. 90% of the posts I made that I found to be my funniest posts ever were ignored. We're strange people who laugh at over-the-top things. Plus there are a lot of morons on this site who don't get high-brow humor.

listopencil
10-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Well, had I posted a detailed essay on the subject of frog innards and their significance in modern day eschatology, it would have gone over equally well, I suppose.

FAX

In High School Biology I earned an "A" while dissecting a frog. I was one of the very few students who perfectly exposed the frog's brain. Does that help at all?

FAX
10-24-2012, 01:02 AM

I can dig that, Mr. listopencil.

There is a subtle and strange fragility to New York that exists beneath its hardened exterior of which most people are unaware ... and understandably so.

FAX

FAX
10-24-2012, 01:03 AM
In High School Biology I earned an "A" while dissecting a frog. I was one of the very few students who perfectly exposed the frog's brain. Does that help at all?

In an odd way, it does. It really does.

Thank you.

FAX

FAX
10-24-2012, 01:05 AM
The thing that really bothers me is this; how many times do you have the opportunity to float the phrase, "Help us Obie Wan Knobel! You're our only hope!" entirely in context?

I mean ... like, maybe ... once in a friggin' lifetime? Or less?

Jesus.

FAX

listopencil
10-24-2012, 01:06 AM
In an odd way, it does. It really does.

Thank you.

FAX

That's good to hear. My job here is done. With perfect timing, in fact, I can feel the Ambien beginning to do its work. Good night.

jspchief
10-24-2012, 01:45 AM
I like that its being built on the kitchen table. To me that adds significantly to the oddity of it all.

"honey, can put your robot project away so we can sit down for dinner?"

Rausch
10-24-2012, 03:43 AM
The thing that really bothers me is this; how many times do you have the opportunity to float the phrase, "Help us Obie Wan Knobel! You're our only hope!" entirely in context?

I mean ... like, maybe ... once in a friggin' lifetime? Or less?

Jesus.

FAX

If you expand the scale and include refrigeration capabilities it could be a keg cooler.

And then every bad life moment, every missed FG, INT, Pioli draft pick, or newly discovered grey hair.

"Help me Obie Wan! You're my only hope!"

NewChief
10-24-2012, 04:37 AM
My son finished his way quicker... and he got a C3PO done as well. You need to wrap this thing up.

Here's the pic:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1luLRXKoJM8/SH33IK9NbCI/AAAAAAAAF2E/nIzTx4nCElw/s400/lego+SW.jpg

rtmike
10-24-2012, 04:45 AM
If you expand the scale and include refrigeration capabilities it could be a keg cooler.

And then every bad life moment, every missed FG, INT, Pioli draft pick, or newly discovered grey hair.

I'm sure there's a name for it. Obviously my lack of attending keggers' is about to become painfully exposed.

The pull tab tap thingie that you get pull on to get the beer, /insert name & crude nickname for this poster/, where would the pull tab thingie be mounted?

And if it's mounted on the head of R2 would someone have to stand by with a clipboard in their hand counting how many times the head spun one way, that way you knew how many times it needed to spin back the other way.

I know the perfect person for that position. He's a professional at it. He got promoted from the original position to running a stationary pull tab for about 4 years but repeated calls to management over spillage & half poured cups of refreshments, dirty/used cups has him back to his calling (professional clipboard operator). They're concerned that he tried blaming the keg company & are looking into it.

He was never any good running the show but no one does a better job @ maneuvering a ink stick as him.

Rausch
10-24-2012, 05:07 AM
I'm sure there's a name for it. Obviously my lack of attending keggers' is about to become painfully exposed.

The pull tab tap thingie that you get pull on to get the beer, /insert name & crude nickname for this poster/, where would the pull tab thingie be mounted?

Tap handle?

And if it's mounted on the head of R2 would someone have to stand by with a clipboard in their hand counting how many times the head spun one way, that way you knew how many times it needed to spin back the other way.

I know the perfect person for that position. He's a professional at it. He got promoted from the original position to running a stationary pull tab for about 4 years but repeated calls to management over spillage & half poured cups of refreshments, dirty/used cups has him back to his calling (professional clipboard operator). They're concerned that he tried blaming the keg company & are looking into it.

He was never any good running the show but no one does a better job @ maneuvering a ink stick as him.

Whut?...

CoMoChief
10-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Nice work

Canofbier
10-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Good job, thanks for posting the update! Looking forward to seeing it continue to progress towards completion.

Otter
10-24-2012, 06:06 AM
heh, neat

FAX
10-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Nice work

Thank you.

FAX

FAX
10-24-2012, 07:07 AM
heh, neat

Thank you, too.

FAX

TimeForWasp
10-24-2012, 07:16 AM
That's the old model. RG III is the new model.

Rausch
10-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Good job, thanks for posting the update! Looking forward to seeing it continue to progress towards completion.

She said...

Deberg_1990
10-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Meh....its ok I guess. I wont be impressed until you complete work on IG-88 and an Imperial probe droid.

el borracho
10-24-2012, 07:35 AM
I feel your pain. I really do. 90% of the posts I made that I found to be my funniest posts ever were ignored. We're strange people who laugh at over-the-top things. Plus there are a lot of morons on this site who don't get high-brow humor.

Is this it?

Rausch
10-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Is this it?

If it is Huey Lewis would like to know...

BlackHelicopters
10-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Awesome project. Puts my matchbook collection to shame.

Phobia
10-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Is this it?

Unfortunately, no. None of the other 50k posts are it either.

loochy
10-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Well...

The craftsmanship and accuracy is impressive.

BUT WHY!?!?

MahiMike
10-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Thought this was a chris johnson thread.

God of Thunder
10-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Well...

The craftsmanship and accuracy is impressive.

BUT WHY!?!?

The why really encompasses 3 reasons.

1. I have always enjoyed building things, and one day I saw one, and thought "man, not a lot of people have one of these, so I bet it would be awesome to build!" So....I started to build one. It's 100% to scale and it's directly off of the ILM plans.

2. When it's done, it will visit Children's Mercy hospital fairly regularly to allow the kids to see him, talk to him (I have integrated bluetooth so I can plan any R2 sound I want), and just try to make their days better.

3.Cause any way you look at it, it's just cool.

loochy
10-24-2012, 10:13 AM
2. When it's done, it will visit Children's Mercy hospital fairly regularly to allow the kids to see him, talk to him (I have integrated bluetooth so I can plan any R2 sound I want), and just try to make their days better.

ROFL i can imagine that thing rolling up and down the halls going boop beep boop bewwwwwp

Donger
10-24-2012, 10:15 AM

I took a latern battery to class that day. Hooked up two wires to the terminals and connected them to the dead frog. The legs went crazy as I sang, "Hello, my baby Hello, my honey Hello, my ragtime gal!"

The teacher sent me to the principal's office.

Mugalug
10-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Unfortunately, no. None of the other 50k posts are it either.

You're due any time, man. *waits for it*

Predarat
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
That is damn cool.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2013, 08:57 AM
You should make these...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8_ZyKkxWhl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

frankotank
04-02-2013, 09:59 AM
now that the words out on just what a turd R2 is....I think he quit the build.....

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m055a2RvJQ1r99egpo1_500.jpg

RealSNR
04-02-2013, 10:25 AM

:thumb:

God of Thunder
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
For those interested, he'll be at Planet Comicon at Bartle Hall this weekend. Several R2s will be there.

mr. tegu
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
You should build the garbage can one from A New Hope.

God of Thunder
04-02-2013, 01:16 PM
You should build the garbage can one from A New Hope.

LOL There are several who have tried, but since there was an actual person in it, there's no real way to make him robotic. It'd be a fun cosplay costume tho.

ILChief
04-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm more impressed by pr's dog ramp :)

CrazyPhuD
04-02-2013, 03:33 PM
You know...the one thing this is missing is that instead of having a lightsaber that pops out on command you should have it so that a cold beer pops out on demand. Either that or have one of these pop out of his head!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4uehyb3up1qb3pe4o1_1280.jpg