PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What kind of HC do you want next?

Pages : [1] 2

RunKC
10-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Pioli is fired, Romeo is shown the door (or in his case will probably retire).

What kind of coach do you want?

A veteran coach who has had success as a head coach before, like Brian Billick, Mike Holmgren or a Bill Cowher (I doubt he leaves TV so soon)?

or...

A young coordinator who has potential as a head coach, like Mike McCoy, Perry Fewell or Mike Zimmer?

Psyko Tek
10-24-2012, 10:52 PM
GIVE ME CRAZY TODD
or somebody like him
I want balls and stupid choices and fire from the team

In58men
10-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I'll take Haley again with a new GM

BossChief
10-24-2012, 10:59 PM
I'll take Haley again with a new GM

You're not the only one.

Apart from the obviously "not gonna happen" options....Id take

McCoy from Denver, Kyle Shannahan from Washington, Andy Reid or Bill Cowher.

boogblaster
10-24-2012, 10:59 PM
young fire-breather that dont take any crap from anyone .. players coaches office ....

BigMeatballDave
10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Bill Cowher.

:shake:

Why?

Chief3188
10-24-2012, 11:02 PM
I don't care if they are offensive or defensive oriented, I just want a good hard nosed coach in his 40's that has a reputation of holding players accountable and helping them at the same time. No more retreads. Lets get a coach who builds his reputation with a new QB here and not someone who already has a reputation as a head coach elsewhere.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 11:04 PM

Why?

3 reasons

1) The players we have on defense would THRIVE in his zone blitzing, attacking defense.

2) He knows that it takes a franchise quarterback to win a championship

3) He always did a great job of developing the talent he had in Pittsburgh because he held the players accountable (like Haley did and Romeo doesnt seem to) and his teams were always in the hunt.

BigMeatballDave
10-24-2012, 11:13 PM
3 reasons

1) The players we have on defense would THRIVE in his zone blitzing, attacking defense.

2) He knows that it takes a franchise quarterback to win a championship

3) He always did a great job of developing the talent he had in Pittsburgh because he held the players accountable (like Haley did and Romeo doesnt seem to) and his teams were always in the hunt.

I'm not so sure Ben wasn't forced on him.

He tried to win with Cordell fucking Stewert.

He's been away from the game for 7 seasons now.

I wouldn't hate it, but I'm not in favor of it.

Chief_For_Life58
10-24-2012, 11:15 PM
we need a hardass who wont put up with shit and demands 110% from his players

Bump
10-24-2012, 11:16 PM
You're not the only one.

Apart from the obviously "not gonna happen" options....Id take

McCoy from Denver, Kyle Shannahan from Washington, Andy Reid or Bill Cowher.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/t9kzu.gif

BossChief
10-24-2012, 11:17 PM
He hasn't been away from the game, he has been away from coaching.

Who cares about Kordell Stewart? We will be in position to draft a franchise quarterback in the 2013 draft...that point is moot IMO.

chiefzilla1501
10-24-2012, 11:19 PM
young fire-breather that dont take any crap from anyone .. players coaches office ....

Gus Bradley. Or Jay Gruden.

chiefzilla1501
10-24-2012, 11:20 PM

Who cares about Kordell Stewart? We will be in position to draft a franchise quarterback in the 2013 draft...that point is moot IMO.

I'm not a fan of coaches like Cowher. One of the reasons veteran coaches struggle is sometimes due to stale philosophies. I think the bigger reason is they demand too much power over personnel, which Cowher will definitely want.

BigMeatballDave
10-24-2012, 11:20 PM

LOL The TV studio isn't the same as coaching.

I care about Kordell because he kept him as starting QB for 5+ seasons.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 11:22 PM
nfl.com article on upcoming HCs (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000084807/article/chip-kelly-perry-fewell-among-top-nfl-head-coach-candidates)

The 2012 NFL season is far from over, but it's never too early to look ahead. There figures to be several head-coaching vacancies following the season, so let's get a jump on examining some potential candidates for those jobs. I've come up with a list of seven names that will likely garner serious consideration for any head-coaching opportunities that arise following the season. I've also included brief comments from sources inside the NFL about each of the seven candidates.

(Scott Olmos/US Presswire)

Chip Kelly

Current job: Head coach, University of Oregon

Kelly has only been a head coach for four seasons at the collegiate level, but he has already established a sterling résumé. He has captured three Pac-10/Pac-12 titles and his team is currently undefeated and ranked No. 2 in the nation. He turned down the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job last offseason, but will likely have another NFL opportunity in 2013. His up-tempo offense would need some alterations to work at the NFL level, but his organizational skills and creativity will be very attractive to NFL owners.

NFC executive: "He runs the best practices I've ever seen. I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."

(Kevin Terrell/Associated Press)

Kyle Shanahan

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Washington Redskins

The Redskins' offense has been the talk of the 2012 NFL season. Robert Griffin III has been outstanding, but the design of the Redskins' scheme has been terrific, as well. Kyle Shanahan is getting a lot of praise around the NFL for quickly developing RG3 and designing a creative offense to fit his skills. Shanahan also was very successful during his two-year stint as the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator. In 2009, the Texans finished with the NFL's fourth-ranked offense under his leadership. Despite being only 32 years old, the son of Mike Shanahan already has coached in the NFL for nine seasons.

AFC executive: "Kyle is extremely smart and he's excellent with quarterbacks. He has all of his dad's qualities and he's going to be a great head coach."

(Paul Spinelli/Associated Press)

Mike McCoy

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Denver Broncos

McCoy has 13 years of NFL coaching experience, including the past four as the Broncos offensive coordinator. Last season, his reputation around the NFL soared as a result of his handling of the transition from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow. He completely overhauled his scheme in the middle of the season to accommodate Tebow's specific skill set. The Broncos finished the season with the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack. This season, he has smoothly transitioned his offense to suit Peyton Manning. They are currently ranked fourth in passing. Those rankings highlight McCoy's flexibility and willingness to adapt his scheme to his personnel.

NFC personnel executive: "I don't know Mike personally, but I've taken notice of the job he's done in Denver. He deserves a lot of credit for their success in 2011."

(Evan Pinkus/Associated Press)

Perry Fewell

Current job: Defensive coordinator, New York Giants

Fewell has done an outstanding job with the Giants. Their run to the Super Bowl last season was largely the result of his punishing defensive unit. He has overcome several injuries to key personnel and his reputation around the league is rock solid. He has interviewed for head-coaching jobs in the past, but those teams chose to go in a different direction. Many around the NFL believe he will not be passed over again.

AFC personnel executive: "I've never heard anything negative about him. His results speak for themselves and he deserves a head-coaching opportunity."

(Duane Burleson/Associated Press)

Brad Seely

Current job: Special teams coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

Seely has an excellent résumé and should garner consideration for any head-coaching vacancies following the season. He has coached in the NFL for 22 seasons, 10 of which were spent as the special teams coach under Bill Belichick in New England. He has transformed the 49ers' special teams unit into the NFL's very best. The fact that Baltimore's John Harbaugh has successfully made the transition from special teams coach to head coach should help Seely's candidacy.

Former player: "Brad was very well respected in our locker room. He is very detailed and he knows how to communicate."

(Ross D. Franklin/Associated Press)

Ray Horton

Current job: Defensive coordinator, Arizona Cardinals

Horton has quickly established a strong reputation as one of the NFL's top defensive minds. Following a 10-year playing career, he's been a successful assistant coach for 18 years. He served as the secondary coach for the Steelers prior to joining the Cardinals staff as defensive coordinator. The Cardinals have one of the NFL's top defensive units and Horton's scheme is broadly praised around the league.

NFC personnel executive: "He's going to be impressive during the interview process. He's very smart and confident and he has the ability to relate to everyone."

(Andrew Weber/US Presswire)

Bill O'Brien

Current job: Head coach, Penn State

It is highly unlikely that O'Brien would depart Penn State after only one season on the job. He has an incredibly expensive buyout clause in his contract and that would be a major deterrent to potential NFL suitors. That being said, he is a very hot name around NFL circles. He was a successful assistant under Bill Belichick and he has shown incredible leadership in guiding the Penn State program through an extraordinarily difficult situation.

Former AFC personnel executive: "Knowing Bill, he has too much integrity to leave those kids, but he's eventually going to be a very successful NFL head coach. He's very tough and organized and he's a winner."

BossChief
10-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Jay Gruden is another guy I forgot to add to my short list.

RunKC
10-24-2012, 11:24 PM
I'd like a coaching who would come in here and hold the players accountable.

If Andy Reid is fired, I think we should jump all over him. He knows how to draft.

If Cowher doesn't want to coach again and Reid is not fired, I would like to go with Mike McCoy. I've been very impressed with him.

Bump
10-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Jay Gruden is another guy I forgot to add to my short list.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/f8Ukc.gif

Imon Yourside
10-24-2012, 11:25 PM
One that will win multiple Championships and coach here for decades.....you know..I ain't asking for much.

RunKC
10-24-2012, 11:27 PM
nfl.com article on upcoming HCs (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000084807/article/chip-kelly-perry-fewell-among-top-nfl-head-coach-candidates)

The 2012 NFL season is far from over, but it's never too early to look ahead. There figures to be several head-coaching vacancies following the season, so let's get a jump on examining some potential candidates for those jobs. I've come up with a list of seven names that will likely garner serious consideration for any head-coaching opportunities that arise following the season. I've also included brief comments from sources inside the NFL about each of the seven candidates.

(Scott Olmos/US Presswire)

Chip Kelly

Current job: Head coach, University of Oregon

Kelly has only been a head coach for four seasons at the collegiate level, but he has already established a sterling résumé. He has captured three Pac-10/Pac-12 titles and his team is currently undefeated and ranked No. 2 in the nation. He turned down the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job last offseason, but will likely have another NFL opportunity in 2013. His up-tempo offense would need some alterations to work at the NFL level, but his organizational skills and creativity will be very attractive to NFL owners.

NFC executive: "He runs the best practices I've ever seen. I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."

(Kevin Terrell/Associated Press)

Kyle Shanahan

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Washington Redskins

The Redskins' offense has been the talk of the 2012 NFL season. Robert Griffin III has been outstanding, but the design of the Redskins' scheme has been terrific, as well. Kyle Shanahan is getting a lot of praise around the NFL for quickly developing RG3 and designing a creative offense to fit his skills. Shanahan also was very successful during his two-year stint as the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator. In 2009, the Texans finished with the NFL's fourth-ranked offense under his leadership. Despite being only 32 years old, the son of Mike Shanahan already has coached in the NFL for nine seasons.

AFC executive: "Kyle is extremely smart and he's excellent with quarterbacks. He has all of his dad's qualities and he's going to be a great head coach."

(Paul Spinelli/Associated Press)

Mike McCoy

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Denver Broncos

McCoy has 13 years of NFL coaching experience, including the past four as the Broncos offensive coordinator. Last season, his reputation around the NFL soared as a result of his handling of the transition from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow. He completely overhauled his scheme in the middle of the season to accommodate Tebow's specific skill set. The Broncos finished the season with the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack. This season, he has smoothly transitioned his offense to suit Peyton Manning. They are currently ranked fourth in passing. Those rankings highlight McCoy's flexibility and willingness to adapt his scheme to his personnel.

NFC personnel executive: "I don't know Mike personally, but I've taken notice of the job he's done in Denver. He deserves a lot of credit for their success in 2011."

(Evan Pinkus/Associated Press)

Perry Fewell

Current job: Defensive coordinator, New York Giants

Fewell has done an outstanding job with the Giants. Their run to the Super Bowl last season was largely the result of his punishing defensive unit. He has overcome several injuries to key personnel and his reputation around the league is rock solid. He has interviewed for head-coaching jobs in the past, but those teams chose to go in a different direction. Many around the NFL believe he will not be passed over again.

AFC personnel executive: "I've never heard anything negative about him. His results speak for themselves and he deserves a head-coaching opportunity."

(Duane Burleson/Associated Press)

Brad Seely

Current job: Special teams coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

Seely has an excellent résumé and should garner consideration for any head-coaching vacancies following the season. He has coached in the NFL for 22 seasons, 10 of which were spent as the special teams coach under Bill Belichick in New England. He has transformed the 49ers' special teams unit into the NFL's very best. The fact that Baltimore's John Harbaugh has successfully made the transition from special teams coach to head coach should help Seely's candidacy.

Former player: "Brad was very well respected in our locker room. He is very detailed and he knows how to communicate."

(Ross D. Franklin/Associated Press)

Ray Horton

Current job: Defensive coordinator, Arizona Cardinals

Horton has quickly established a strong reputation as one of the NFL's top defensive minds. Following a 10-year playing career, he's been a successful assistant coach for 18 years. He served as the secondary coach for the Steelers prior to joining the Cardinals staff as defensive coordinator. The Cardinals have one of the NFL's top defensive units and Horton's scheme is broadly praised around the league.

NFC personnel executive: "He's going to be impressive during the interview process. He's very smart and confident and he has the ability to relate to everyone."

(Andrew Weber/US Presswire)

Bill O'Brien

Current job: Head coach, Penn State

It is highly unlikely that O'Brien would depart Penn State after only one season on the job. He has an incredibly expensive buyout clause in his contract and that would be a major deterrent to potential NFL suitors. That being said, he is a very hot name around NFL circles. He was a successful assistant under Bill Belichick and he has shown incredible leadership in guiding the Penn State program through an extraordinarily difficult situation.

Former AFC personnel executive: "Knowing Bill, he has too much integrity to leave those kids, but he's eventually going to be a very successful NFL head coach. He's very tough and organized and he's a winner."

Isn't Kyle Shannahan too young? He would tie Josh McDaniels as the youngest coach in NFL history at 32 right?

chiefzilla1501
10-24-2012, 11:29 PM
I'd like a coaching who would come in here and hold the players accountable.

If Andy Reid is fired, I think we should jump all over him. He knows how to draft.

If Cowher doesn't want to coach again and Reid is not fired, I would like to go with Mike McCoy. I've been very impressed with him.

Oh, you mean like this guy? Monte Kiffin was so impressed with him that he pretty much demanded that Pete Carroll take him in. This guy will bring a 1-gap defense (like a 4-3 under which is a 3-4/4-3 hybrid) and he'll get his players to play.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ofv2MgMoFG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BossChief
10-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Priority #1 for this team needs to be finding a coach that not only has a good track record of identifying franchise quarterbacks, but also developing them.

That should factor into this 80% of the coaching hire.

chiefzilla1501
10-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Priority #1 for this team needs to be finding a coach that not only has a good track record of identifying franchise quarterbacks, but also developing them.

That should factor into this 80% of the coaching hire.

Priority #1 should be hiring a GM who makes getting a franchise QB a priority. If you want to develop the QB, hire a good offensive coordinator or QBs coach.

For my head coach, I just want somebody who knows how to coach. I don't care if that's offense or defense.

Bump
10-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Priority #1 should be hiring a GM who makes getting a franchise QB a priority. If you want to develop the QB, hire a good offensive coordinator or QBs coach.

For my head coach, I just want somebody who knows how to coach. I don't care if that's offense or defense.

yes, it needs to be a clean house and make it all about the QUARTERBACK that we are going to draft!

BossChief
10-24-2012, 11:46 PM

Any GM that is brought in KNOWS what the major need is on this team...its no big secret, even Stevie Wonder knows.

chiefzilla1501
10-24-2012, 11:48 PM

Any GM that is brought in KNOWS what the major need is on this team...its no big secret, even Stevie Wonder knows.

Exactly. If the GM knows the QB is a priority and hires a good QBs coach and offensive coordinator, then I don't see why it matters whether the head coach leans offense or leans defense.

WV
10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Am I the only one who is still upset at how bad Mike Singletary turned out to be? I really liked him and thought he would be a great coach.

Hoover
10-24-2012, 11:52 PM
hard ass
enforcer
dick head

keg in kc
10-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Young coordinator, offensive. No more retreads. No more defensive coaches. I want a young guy that could feasibly coach here for 15 years and then leave for a cushy studio job. I want somebody aggressive and innovative.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 11:56 PM
We need to go ALL IN on whoever we draft to be the franchise QB, not go half assed.

I want an innovative offensive mind running the show and for us to double down with another great offensive mind at OC and a QB coach that knows the intricacies of the position.

Having a HC that is a defensive guy fails a lot more often than it works out.

We need to jump start this team into the new era with an innovator and Im not interested in another defensive head coach.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Young coordinator, offensive. No more retreads. No more defensive coaches. I want a young guy that could feasibly coach here for 15 years and then leave for a cushy studio job. I want somebody aggressive and innovative.

bingo...mind melding

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2012, 12:13 AM
We need to go ALL IN on whoever we draft to be the franchise QB, not go half assed.

I want an innovative offensive mind running the show and for us to double down with another great offensive mind at OC and a QB coach that knows the intricacies of the position.

We need to jump start this team into the new era with an innovator and Im not interested in another defensive head coach.

You are making shit up. 6 of the 11 top teams (above .500) are defensive head coaches. Matt Ryan and Christian Ponder are developing wonderfully under a defensive coach. Andrew Luck looks to be developing great under Pagano. Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco have developed nicely under Marvin Lewis and John Harbaugh. Last year, 5 of the 7 new hires were defensive coaches. There is nothing wrong with a defensive head coach if you hire a good offensive coordinator to complement him.

If you want an innovative offense, then hire a good offensive coordinator. I don't give a shit about how innovative the head coach is. X's and O's guys don't' always make good head coaches. Hire a coach who knows how to discipline his team, then put a talented, innovative offensive coordinator underneath him.

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2012, 12:39 AM

I don't know where we got the impression that defensive coaches can't encourage innovation. I think Jeff Fisher and Herm Edwards scare people away. Nobody wants an old school defense/run heavy coach. Nobody wants a pure X's and O's guy like Romeo or Ron Rivera.

Chuck Pagano and Mike Smith run very progressive offenses behind a franchise QB. Leslie Frazier has run a pretty aggressive offense behind Christian Ponder. Mike Tomlin, prior to this year, ran a really aggressive pass offense in Pittsburgh. And you're forgetting that that innovative offense Mike McCoy has run throughout his time in Denver? He coaches for a defensive coach in John Fox.

Why? Because these guys are good head coaches. Regardless of what side of the ball they are more experienced with.

RunKC
10-25-2012, 12:40 AM

This. Mike McCoy would be my choice. Put him at HC and then get Norv Turner to be the OC. Those 2 know QB's. Plus Norv isn't getting a HC job ever again, so he'd be here for a long time.

Tribal Warfare
10-25-2012, 12:43 AM
A competent HC that can get the absolute best out of his players.

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2012, 12:47 AM
This. Mike McCoy would be my choice. Put him at HC and then get Norv Turner to be the OC. Those 2 know QB's. Plus Norv isn't getting a HC job ever again, so he'd be here for a long time.

My OC candidate would be John Morton out of San Francisco. I like his pedigree. Been a passing game coordinator for Sean Payton, Pete Carroll, and a WRs coach under Jim Harbaugh.

xztop12
10-25-2012, 12:48 AM
chip kelly is an interesting option

keg in kc
10-25-2012, 12:53 AM
I don't know where we got the impression that defensive coaches can't encourage innovation.I don't know where you get the impression that I said that.And you're forgetting that that innovative offense Mike McCoy has run throughout his time in Denver?I'm forgetting? I didn't mention him.Why? Because these guys are good head coaches. Regardless of what side of the ball they are more experienced with.The reason *I* want an offensive coach is because 1) defensive coaches have a tendency towards conservative play, players and philosophy, 2) the NFL is becoming an increasingly offensive league and I believe that aforementioned conservative mindset puts a team at a disadvantage, and 3) we've had primarily defensive coaches here for the last 20 years. They tried something else with Vermeil, they sort of tried something else with Haley, but the lion's share of time has been spent on Marty, Gun, Herm and now Crennel. I'd like to see the franchise truly try to go another direction, actually step into the 21st century NFL, and do it starting from the ground up, with a drafted quarterback that becomes the face of the team for the next decade. No more 'play not to lose' philosophy. No more hiring other teams' backups as starters behind center. No more parroting other teams way of doing things a couple of years after the rest of the league figures it out. No more old coaches trying to recover past glory. It's time to make a name for ourselves. It's time to actually do our own thing.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't think many of you guys inderstand the role of a good head coach.

Also, all this "hard ass" nonsense has been rendered moot by the new CBA. There is very little hitting and physical work allowed in training camp and weekly practices.

The next head coach needs to be organized, detailed and firm with his offensive and defensive philosophies and command respect of his players.

The Chiefs should avoid, at all costs, retreads like Reid, Holmgren and especially Cowher.

Chris Meck
10-25-2012, 01:13 AM
I think you want a younger hotshot offensive coordinator, preferrably one that has demonstrated an ability to develop a young QB. For this reason, I am on the Jay Gruden bandwagon. He's done a great job with Dalton in Cinci.

Some people don't like him because he's Chucky's brother, but his resume is pretty great. He played the position (albeit college and lesser leagues), coached it, has been a championship head coach (albeit a lesser league) and now a successful NFL offensive coordinator working with a rookie starter at QB. Dalton is progressing nicely. He's also in his mid 40's and could conceivably coach 20+ years if it works out.

Kyle Shanahan is so young it worries me. Mike McCoy-I don't really get all the love. It's Peyton's offense now, so I don't credit him for what's happening now...and there's a reason Orton was benched for Tebow in the first place. I don't know. I'm not seeing it.

Seems to me that Jay Gruden is the perfect guy to draft and develop a QB. Our receiver corps fits a WC style perfectly. If Geno is not our guy (or is not available when we pick), but Barkley is, then this is even more of a slam dunk.

bowener
10-25-2012, 01:31 AM
Clark is going to need to sell season tickets, so I think he is going to go after a big name coach that is a proven winner or a hometown favorite like Marty or his son.
Hell, he may go after Cowher since he will get a GM/coach combo; it may save him a few million a year... after all he is going to be paying Pioli for a year or two after canning his fat ass.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:45 AM
Clark is going to need to sell season tickets, so I think he is going to go after a big name coach that is a proven winner or a hometown favorite like Marty or his son.
Hell, he may go after Cowher since he will get a GM/coach combo; it may save him a few million a year... after all he is going to be paying Pioli for a year or two after canning his fat ass.

Cowher has never been a GM.

RunKC
10-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Clark doesn't need to worry about getting a shiny new coach to sell tickets.

I guarantee you that if we draft a 1st round QB in April, fans will flock to buy season tickets and jerseys.

shaggyshane
10-25-2012, 02:35 AM

I agree. Especially since KC more than likely will be drafting a franchise QB. I want a coach that is willing to grow with the QB. I have always wanted Al Saunders but for some reason he was overlooked as a head coach numerous times by not only KC, but several teams.

bricks
10-25-2012, 02:40 AM
I think the Chiefs need a bad season. They need to get the top pick in the draft and hopefully score on a guys like Geno Smith or Matt Barkley.

Then hire a coach like Cowher to fix the defense.

Those are the two best scenarios that can happen. We would have a much improved defense and quarterback to go along with really solid running game and offensive line.

Team isn't that far off. I think we would address the two most important components behind winning a bowl. That is, good quarterback play and top defense. That's my reason why I hope a scenario like this pans out. It needs to happen if our dreams are to see this team win a bowl.

10-25-2012, 02:47 AM
no retreads and no oldfarts.

heh, guess those are the same thing now.

shaggyshane
10-25-2012, 02:51 AM
I think the Chiefs need a bad season. They need to get the top pick in the draft and hopefully score on a guys like Geno Smith or Matt Barkley.

Those are the two best scenarios that can happen. We would have a much improved defense and quarterback to go along with really solid running game and offensive line.

Team isn't that far off. I think we would address the two most important components behind winning a bowl. That is, good quarterback play and top defense. That's my reason why I hope a scenario like this pans out. It needs to happen if our dreams are to see this team win a bowl.

I gotta feeling Cowher will go to Carolina if he indeed leaves CBS.

King_Chief_Fan
10-25-2012, 06:16 AM

A veteran coach who has had success as a head coach before, like Brian Billick, Mike Holmgren or a Bill Cowher (I doubt he leaves TV so soon)?

or...

A young coordinator who has potential as a head coach, like Mike McCoy, Perry Fewell or Mike Zimmer?

I want a Jon Gruden type

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2012, 06:27 AM
I don't know where you get the impression that I said that.I'm forgetting? I didn't mention him.The reason *I* want an offensive coach is because 1) defensive coaches have a tendency towards conservative play, players and philosophy, 2) the NFL is becoming an increasingly offensive league and I believe that aforementioned conservative mindset puts a team at a disadvantage, and 3) we've had primarily defensive coaches here for the last 20 years. They tried something else with Vermeil, they sort of tried something else with Haley, but the lion's share of time has been spent on Marty, Gun, Herm and now Crennel. I'd like to see the franchise truly try to go another direction, actually step into the 21st century NFL, and do it starting from the ground up, with a drafted quarterback that becomes the face of the team for the next decade. No more 'play not to lose' philosophy. No more hiring other teams' backups as starters behind center. No more parroting other teams way of doing things a couple of years after the rest of the league figures it out. No more old coaches trying to recover past glory. It's time to make a name for ourselves. It's time to actually do our own thing.

I get what you're coming from. But I don't buy into the idea that defensive coaches don't understand the importance of a good QB or would be conservative. Younger defensive coaches grew up in a passing league too. They've had to scheme against QBs. So they'd probably understand the importance of a good QB. And I don't think the newer batch of head coaches are going to be Herm Edwards. And a lot of newer defensive coaches are allowing for a more innovative passing scheme.

htismaqe
10-25-2012, 06:30 AM
NEITHER.

I want a coach who has been a head coach before but HASN'T won a Super Bowl.

Most of these guys make their mistakes at their first stop and win it all at their SECOND.

I don't want any coach that has already won a Super Bowl.

Molitoth
10-25-2012, 07:38 AM
I DO NOT want a players coach.

I want the coach to be a ****ing hardass that will not tolerate his players slacking or ****ing up. I want players benched for not performing.
I also want a coach that is a young up-and-comer, but has respect from players based on previous experience.

Someone like Todd Haley basically. I really liked Todd, it's too bad his career here got injured by Pioli and the QB situation.

ChiefMojo
10-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Of assistant coaches only Jay Gruden and Perry Fewell interest me.

Gruden has a extensive résumé as a OC/QB coach but has been a head coach at multiple levels (just not the NFL yet). I'm sure he has the fire in his belly like his brother and would be a hard worker. Comes from a football family.

As for Fewell he is a relative new DC in the grand scheme of things. I love the way the Giants run their defense and how Tom Coughlin runs his team (after he lightened up a little). Fewell has worked under two stern HC's in Coughlin and Juron. He has also spent a fair amount of time at Army as a coach. He is probably the hottest assistant coach name to get a head coaching job after the season.

Parts of me wants to go with someone with head coaching experience. The only retreds that really interests me is Brian Billick, Mike Holmgren (as just HC) or Andy Reid. With that said Reid would have to understand we like to run the ball in KC and he can't just go throw throw throw! Mike Nolan or Jack Del Rio partially interest me as well.

dallaschiefsfan
10-25-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't think many of you guys inderstand the role of a good head coach.

Also, all this "hard ass" nonsense has been rendered moot by the new CBA. There is very little hitting and physical work allowed in training camp and weekly practices.

The next head coach needs to be organized, detailed and firm with his offensive and defensive philosophies and command respect of his players.

The Chiefs should avoid, at all costs, retreads like Reid, Holmgren and especially Cowher.

THIS. Although I'm not as convinced that hard ass coaches are gone.

From the NFL.com article, Chip Kelley is the most interesting to me. His profile sounds like the kind of guy that can handle an NFL team...the organization and creativity and ability to communicate all stand out. I'm most interested in him. I'm intrigued by Brad Seeley...but don't know enough.

I'm least interested in Mike McCoy. I can't put my finger on it, but I get this feeling that he'll always be a guy that's a good OC, but isn't cut out for the lead chair.

malachi47000
10-25-2012, 08:25 AM
I know he is a retread, but he has taken 2 teams to the SB and has just announced he wants to get back to being a HC. He doesn't care to much for the GM duties and thus would work with a GM and not try to take control. Check out his record:

Head coaching record
NFL Champions
Team Year Regular season Post-season
Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
GNB 1992 9 7 0 .563 2nd in NFC Central - - - -
GNB 1993 9 7 0 .563 3rd in NFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in NFC Divisional Game.
GNB 1994 9 7 0 .563 2nd in NFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in NFC Divisional Game.
GNB 1995 11 5 0 .688 1st in NFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in NFC Championship Game.
GNB 1996 13 3 0 .813 1st in NFC Central 3 0 1.000 Won Super Bowl XXXI.
GNB 1997 13 3 0 .813 1st in NFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXXII.
GNB 1998 11 5 0 .688 2nd in NFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Wild-Card Game.
GNB Total 75 37 0 .670 9 5 .643

SEA 1999 9 7 0 .563 1st in AFC West 0 1 .000 Lost to Miami Dolphins in AFC Wild-Card Game.
SEA 2000 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC West - - - -
SEA 2001 9 7 0 .563 2nd in AFC West - - - -
SEA 2002 7 9 0 .438 3rd in NFC West - - - -
SEA 2003 10 6 0 .625 2nd in NFC West 0 1 0.000 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Wild-Card Game.
SEA 2004 9 7 0 .563 1st in NFC West 0 1 0.000 Lost to St. Louis Rams in NFC Wild-Card Game
SEA 2005 13 3 0 .813 1st in NFC West 2 1 0.667 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XL.
SEA 2006 9 7 0 .563 1st in NFC West 1 1 0.500 Lost to Chicago Bears in NFC Divisional Game.
SEA 2007 10 6 0 .625 1st in NFC West 1 1 0.500 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game.
SEA 2008 4 12 0 .250 3rd in NFC West - - - -
SEA Total 86 74 0 .541 4 6 .400
Total 161 111 0 .592 13 11 .542

He also is a QB coach who has worked with Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre and Matt Hasselbeck (all PRO BOWL QBS) and has ties with Jim Zorn. As long as he doesn't get any of the GM duties (which he doesn't want, all he wants to do is coach) then he could take a good QB in the draft and turn this team around.

"When Randy Lerner brought the curtain down on an ownership that was too long and too disengaged, it also fell on his top lieutenant, "The Big Show," Mike Holmgren. In keeping with the theme of Lerner's ownership, Holmgren himself seemed fundamentally disconnected from his job.

Before leaving, probably sooner and not later, Holmgren this week indicated he might be up for an encore somewhere else. Only not at that team president thing. At being a coach. At the thing at which he's very, very good. "

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2012/10/coach_mike_holmgren_was_out_of.html

This wouldn't be my first choice as a coach, however he could be someone to consider. Flame away...

R8RFAN
10-25-2012, 08:26 AM
A young coordinator who has potential as a head coach

BoneKrusher
10-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Naturally i want a winner.
also i want a HC that knows how to gameplan and make adjustments during the games and most importantly he must know how to groom our Franchise Quarterback.

R8RFAN
10-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Personally I would take someone from the Giants, they are the shit

bricks
10-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Aside from hiring a good head coach, I hope this team could strike good fortunate by finding an OC.

I think the Chiefs have been unfortunate there. Don't get me wrong, I think they've had a few good ones in Weis and Gailey but their time has been short lived.

We need to find a good OC that can also provide longevity, stability and consistency. I'm tired of seeing this team constantly hire and switch OC's. Its hard to build a good offense when you're constantly switching systems/offensive philosophies.

el borracho
10-25-2012, 08:58 AM
What kind of HC do you want next?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EsIKexb5DM8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 09:23 AM

He tried to win with Cordell fucking Stewert.

Over a decade ago. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he has probably learned a thing or two about the league since that time.
He doesn't strike me as a complete dumbass.

TEX
10-25-2012, 10:51 AM
NEITHER.

Most of these guys make their mistakes at their first stop and win it all at their SECOND.

I don't want any coach that has already won a Super Bowl.

Interesting... Food for thought :hmmm:

FlaChief58
10-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Someone that knows how to develop a QB, puts players in a position to take advantage of their skillset, knows how to make in-game adjustments and holds everyone accountable for their actions

Rausch
10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
NEITHER.

I'd prefer the guy the has...

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Repeatedly.

Pioli couldn't bring Belicheat with him = Case closed.

Rausch
10-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Repeatedly.

Pioli couldn't bring Belicheat with him = Case closed.

You're talking GM?

My bad. I was talking HC.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
You're talking GM?

My bad. I was talking HC.

That's what I meant. No Belicheat, no "Patriot Way".

htismaqe
10-25-2012, 11:18 AM

Why purposefully buck trends?

That doesn't make any sense. No Super Bowl-winning head coach has won it all with a 2nd team. So let's try to be the first? In history?

That's the definition of insanity in my book.

Predarat
10-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I want a mean guy that jumps up and down, an offensive cordinator background that is the runner up in the upcoming superbowl.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 12:32 PM

For Fuck's Sake, NO.

You hire a defensive coordinator and position coaches to "fix" a defense, not a head coach.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Aside from hiring a good head coach, I hope this team could strike good fortunate by finding an OC.

I think the Chiefs have been unfortunate there. Don't get me wrong, I think they've had a few good ones in Weis and Gailey but their time has been short lived.

We need to find a good OC that can also provide longevity, stability and consistency. I'm tired of seeing this team constantly hire and switch OC's. Its hard to build a good offense when you're constantly switching systems/offensive philosophies.

This whole post is bullshit.

First off, under Pioli, the OFFENSIVE SYSTEM HAS BEEN IDENTICAL!

Every offensive coordinator has run the Erhardt/Perkins offense, which Bill Parcells ran with the Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys and Dolphins (Sparano). While there have been different playcallers, the system and terminology is identical.

It's no different than San Francisco in their glory days running the West Coast offense with a myriad of offensive coordinators, from Holmgren to Shanahan to Mariucci and Seifert running the show.

Secondly, no offensive coordinator is going to provide "longevity" on his own. Either the team wins or it loses. It's not up the coordinator to provide anything other than wins.

FlaChief58
10-25-2012, 12:41 PM
I want a mean guy that jumps up and down, an offensive cordinator background that is the runner up in the upcoming superbowl.

:hmmm: where have I heard this before?

BossChief
10-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Why purposefully buck trends?

That doesn't make any sense. No Super Bowl-winning head coach has won it all with a 2nd team. So let's try to be the first? In history?

That's the definition of insanity in my book.

None have WON a superbowl again, but a bunch of them have gotten to the superbowl after already winning one.

Do you have a rabbits foot on a keychain, don't walk under ladders, break mirrors and worry about black cats crossing your path, too?

Holmgren, Vermiel, Gruden and a few others have brought multiple teams to the superbowl.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 12:48 PM
None have WON a superbowl again, but a bunch of them have gotten to the superbowl after already winning one.

Do you have a rabbits foot on a keychain, don't walk under ladders, break mirrors and worry about black cats crossing your path, too?

Holmgren, Vermiel, Gruden and a few others have brought multiple teams to the superbowl.

Gruden?

Vermeil was on his way out. John Shaw wanted to fire him in 1999 and forced Trent Green and Mike Martz on him. He wanted him out so bad he forced him out after they won the Super Bowl.

DaKCMan AP
10-25-2012, 12:52 PM

An Awesome coach.

Titty Meat
10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Offensive league offensive mind.

CoMoChief
10-25-2012, 12:57 PM

He tried to win with Cordell ****ing Stewert.

He also went to a SB with Stewart right? Or was that Neil O'Donnell?

DaneMcCloud

What coach doesn't want a high octane, high output offense these days?

BigMeatballDave

Crennel?

:)

CoMoChief

This x1000

Not anything against def minded HC's, but unless you have a great QB, they will make your head spin out of control with the decisions they make.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 12:58 PM

O'Donnell, 1995.

And the Steelers promptly let him go.

CoMoChief
10-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Herm

BigMeatballDave
10-25-2012, 12:59 PM

O'Donnell

Titty Meat

http://www.voodoobrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/romeo-crennel-122808.jpg

DaneMcCloud
This x1000

Not anything against def minded HC's, but unless you have a great QB, they will make your head spin out of control with the decisions they make.

Every team needs a QB today.

The Chiefs are on those teams that doesn't and hasn't for 40 years.

DJ's left nut
Defense, defense, defense.

Offensive head coaches want to tinker with the offense or even run it altogether. There's just too much complexity in NFL schemes these days for me to think that someone that is running his own offense is also as effective as a head coach.

The guys that pull it off like Payton have a quarterback that is so versed in the offense that he becomes a de facto OC.

A guy like Chip Kelly is going to want his paws all over that offense and is going to be a mad tinkerer. I just don't like it.

I want my coach to instill toughness, discipline and attitude in his players. Those are traits more commonly found in defensive coaches/players. The swagger from a football team generally builds through its defense.

You absolutely need a good offense to win these days, but I think you get that from a qualified, creative OC working under an organized, focused HC.

I think Gus Bradley is still my guy.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:00 PM
http://www.voodoobrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/romeo-crennel-122808.jpg

Oh, I don't agree with that.

I just think he's clueless.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Herm

Herm's not an NFL coach

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:02 PM

I prefer Ray Horton to Bradley because I think you're seeing a shitload of Pete in Seattle.

Let's not forget, the guy is a Super Bowl winning DC with the 49ers and his teams have always been strong defensively, whether in the NFL or at USC.

Titty Meat
10-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Oh, I don't agree with that.

I just think he's clueless.

I do that's why they hired Duhball. Guys like Romeo want to have a ball control offense. Fuck that.

McCoy as HC please.

whoman69
10-25-2012, 01:03 PM

or...

I'll take B.

It takes a lot of energy to build a franchise and mold it in your image. An older coach doesn't want to deal with the BS anymore.

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 01:09 PM
I prefer Ray Horton to Bradley because I think you're seeing a shitload of Pete in Seattle.

Let's not forget, the guy is a Super Bowl winning DC with the 49ers and his teams have always been strong defensively, whether in the NFL or at USC.

That's true, but Bradley's learning that Leo defense under the feet of the master.

I like the Leo a lot. I think it's strength is its versatility and that's what has made it so effective in this climate. It's also nice in that it can incorporate players that fit well in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme so you can get some very nice draft/FA values if guys fall through the cracks.

I think Bradley gets a fair amount of credit for the adjustments made against NE a couple of weeks ago where they just confounded the hell out of Brady.

But hey - I like Horton, too. I've mentioned him in the top 3/4 of my list of candidates as well. In the end, I like that Leo defense and I like Bradley's linebackers background over Horton's DB background because I think the LBs tend to be the heart of the defense. Training that spirit into your LBs tells me you can get it into your entire squad.

MahiMike
10-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I really like Brian Billick. Since we missed out on Jeff Fisher, he's my new fave. Probably won't give up his day job, but dude is super smart.

The Franchise
10-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Mike McCoy with Ron Rivera as the DC.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I do that's why they hired Duhball. Guys like Romeo want to have a ball control offense. Fuck that.

McCoy as HC please.

Daboll was hired because of Pioli, not Crennel.

McCoy hasn't shown me anything, other than the ability to allow Peyton run his own offense.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 01:17 PM
An offensive mastermind with a minor in defensive GOD.

Titty Meat
10-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Daboll was hired because of Pioli, not Crennel.

McCoy hasn't shown me anything, other than the ability to allow Peyton run his own offense.

Improved Orton's numbers had a top 10 passing game with Orton, Adjusted the offense to Tim Tebows style which got them in the playoffs. Guy ha proven not only can he work with QB's he can also adjust offenses. Would be a wonderful coach for a young QB.

Also played in the NFL.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:19 PM
That's true, but Bradley's learning that Leo defense under the feet of the master.

I like the Leo a lot. I think it's strength is its versatility and that's what has made it so effective in this climate. It's also nice in that it can incorporate players that fit well in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme so you can get some very nice draft/FA values if guys fall through the cracks.

I think Bradley gets a fair amount of credit for the adjustments made against NE a couple of weeks ago where they just confounded the hell out of Brady.

But hey - I like Horton, too. I've mentioned him in the top 3/4 of my list of candidates as well. In the end, I like that Leo defense and I like Bradley's linebackers background over Horton's DB background because I think the LBs tend to be the heart of the defense. Training that spirit into your LBs tells me you can get it into your entire squad.

I guess for me, it would come down to the interviews. I'm a Pete fan. I loved him at USC and since the Chiefs are sucking, I'm following the 'Hawks this year more closely than before. I love his energy, enthusiasm and love of the game. It's hard to believe the guy is 60!

There's no way Pete isn't going to endorse one his own for a head coaching gig, so for Bradley to get the gig, he'd need to come in completely prepared with a plan in hand.

Unlike Horton, who's done it without Dick LeBeau over his shoulder, Bradley has a little more to "prove", for lack of a better word.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 01:23 PM
I guess for me, it would come down to the interviews. I'm a Pete fan. I loved him at USC and since the Chiefs are sucking, I'm following the 'Hawks this year more closely than before. I love his energy, enthusiasm and love of the game. It's hard to believe the guy is 60!

There's no way Pete isn't going to endorse one his own for a head coaching gig, so for Bradley to get the gig, he'd need to come in completely prepared with a plan in hand.

Unlike Horton, who's done it without Dick LeBeau over his shoulder, Bradley has a little more to "prove", for lack of a better word.

I agree on Pete. Very impressed with his second go-around in the NFL.

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich...heh...is why I'm not so completely down on the idea of BC.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Improved Orton's numbers had a top 10 passing game with Orton, Adjusted the offense to Tim Tebows style which got them in the playoffs. Guy ha proven not only can he work with QB's he can also adjust offenses. Would be a wonderful coach for a young QB.

Also played in the NFL.

That's fine and all but is he a head coach?

Head coaches aren't responsible for player development and offensive or defensive game planning. They're responsible for the entire team - offense, defense and special teams, and for making sure that all facets, including player preparation, are ready each Sunday.

As I've said so often this offseason, a great coordinator doesn't always make a great head coach. If you at the history of the league or even the past ten years, you'll see tons of examples, from Norv to Rex Ryan to Rivera in Carolina to Mike Martz to our own Romeo Crennel.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I really like Brian Billick. Since we missed out on Jeff Fisher, he's my new fave. Probably won't give up his day job, but dude is super smart.

Just seeing a competent coach on the sidelines would be nice.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:28 PM
I agree on Pete. Very impressed with his second go-around in the NFL.

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich...heh...is why I'm not so completely down on the idea of BC.

Pete had a decent track record in the NFL back in the 90's, which for some reason is overlooked. He's clearly learned from his mistakes and from his experience at USC and is building a championship team in Seattle. They look pretty fierce at times, even with a rookie third round QB.

Who is BC? Brainfart.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Just seeing a competent coach on the sidelines would be nice.

I don't dislike Billick but he was never able to recreate his Minnesota offense in Baltimore. He certainly tried but it was never even close.

I'm not so sure he could do it in KC, either, especially considering the lack of a QB and what will likely be a severely depleted wide receiving and tight end corp come 2013.

Titty Meat
10-25-2012, 01:32 PM
That's fine and all but is he a head coach?

Head coaches aren't responsible for player development and offensive or defensive game planning. They're responsible for the entire team - offense, defense and special teams, and for making sure that all facets, including player preparation, are ready each Sunday.

As I've said so often this offseason, a great coordinator doesn't always make a great head coach. If you at the history of the league or even the past ten years, you'll see tons of examples, from Norv to Rex Ryan to Rivera in Carolina to Mike Martz to our own Romeo Crennel.

I'm not sure i'd have to interview him. He did get some looks last off season though.

Jive Ass
10-25-2012, 01:34 PM
I miss Haley. I'd take him over a lot of the older guys. If Haley did one thing, he had the team ready to play every week. He's young, has good instincts that will become even better with time, and is fun as hell to watch when he's mad. I doubt he comes back, though.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Pete had a decent track record in the NFL back in the 90's, which for some reason is overlooked. He's clearly learned from his mistakes and from his experience at USC and is building a championship team in Seattle. They look pretty fierce at times, even with a rookie third round QB.

Who is BC? Brainfart.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hSNpMkOQnsw/ToRC70PiiyI/AAAAAAAAALg/Zy6rGb234l4/s1600/20090129pd_cowher0129_330.jpg

LMAO

-King-
10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Wade Phillips.

Can run a great defense. And who knows how good the Cowboys would have been if Pioli Sr. aka Jerry Jones wasn't micromanaging everything.

-King-
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hSNpMkOQnsw/ToRC70PiiyI/AAAAAAAAALg/Zy6rGb234l4/s1600/20090129pd_cowher0129_330.jpg

LMAO

Yeah, let's get the guy who took 15 years to win a superbowl with his first team. A guy with a track record that great would be a stellar pick.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Yeah, let's get the guy who took 15 years to win a superbowl with his first team. A guy with a track record that great would be a stellar pick.

Well, seeing how you and your ilk have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right about shit since 2009, why don't we put it on the table for shits and giggles anyway?

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Yeah.

Who would want a guy that took over a franchise that went to the playoffs once in the previous 7 years and had them in the Super Bowl 4 years later? Who would want a guy that averaged 10 wins/season over a 15 year career, won 2 Hunt Trophies and put the system/personnel in place for his team to win a 3rd (and 2nd SB title) the year after he retired.

P.S. Only 1 guy wins a SB every year. If the Chiefs won a SB every 15 seasons, we'd be well ahead of the curve.

But by all means, keep on being stupid.

I guarantee that the coach we hire will not have as successful a career as Bill Cowher had in Pittsburgh and he'll take over a team that has more going for it than Cowher had when he took over an aging, declining, awful team in Pittsburgh.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Wade Phillips.

Can run a great defense. And who knows how good the Cowboys would have been if Pioli Sr. aka Jerry Jones wasn't micromanaging everything.

Yeah, that's ALL Wade Phillips needs is a FOURTH NFL head coaching gig.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 01:46 PM

LMAO Pwned.

R8RFAN
10-25-2012, 01:49 PM
I miss Haley. I'd take him over a lot of the older guys. If Haley did one thing, he had the team ready to play every week. He's young, has good instincts that will become even better with time, and is fun as hell to watch when he's mad. I doubt he comes back, though.

I thought the Chiefs made a mistake the day they fired him.. He will be a HC in the NFL again.

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Yup, Phillips is as demonstrative as they come.

You don't hire the next hot coordinator because you like the schemes he runs. You hire him because you think he can organize and inspire. Phillips is just the pitch perfect example of the guy that can scheme a defense with the best of them.

And can't be a HC for shit.

Norv Turner springs to mind on the offensive side of the ball.

It's much much harder than people think to find a good HC. That's why guys like King are just so foolish to me. Cowher is unquestionably a good head coach and has proven it several times over. Is he going to revolutionize the way the QB position is played? Nope - and that's not his job.

You hire a leader and organizer as your HC, then you go get a guy that can scheme the shit out of things as your OC.

The two skill sets aren't terribly related.

tyton75
10-25-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't know a specific guy but I would really like someone in the Marty mold.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't know a specific guy but I would really like someone in the Marty mold.

A guy who can win the regular season but not the playoffs?

A guy who coaches not to lose?

Titty Meat
10-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Damn dude laughs at Bill Cowher then suggest Wade Phillips?

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 02:12 PM

This just goes back to the point I made earlier where I said most people don't understand the role of an NFL head coach.

You don't hire a guy because he's a great schemer. You hire him because he's detailed, has a comprehensive plan, etc. and so on.

That's why a guy like Mike McCarthy is a head coach. It's not because of his success as an OC, it's because of his work habits, knowledge of the game and people, etc. and so on.

It's all the very same reason why Brian Schottenheimer will be an NFL head coach and quite possibly, in 2013.

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 02:21 PM

I didn't even realize it was the same guy.

Are you fucking kidding me? 9 seasons as a head coach over 20 years w/ a 1-5 playoff record and that's the guy he's calling for while shitting on Cowher.

And why? Because he's actually won something, so clearly he can't do it anymore. Hell, Cowher's even 10 years younger than Phillips.

King's opinion re: head coaches is now officially irrelevant. What a moron.

Woodchuck
10-25-2012, 02:24 PM
I've kind of been thinking about Mike Nolan. He did well in Denver and is doing it now in Atlanta with not alot of talent. I think he would have learned something in San Francisco. He reminds me of Hank Stram when he wears the suit.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/06/13/nolanx.jpg

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
For all the grief Cowher gets for being a playoff 'choker' does anyone realize that he didn't go 1 and done again in his career after his first 2 years in the league? Hell, the guy has a 12-9 playoff record (.571).

Cowher isn't Marty (5-13). He's a consistent winner in this league that also wins consistently in the playoffs as well.

I don't see how anyone can be so dead set against a 55 yr old HC with the track record this guy has and the energy he's shown throughout his coaching career. He can absolutely excel in this job.

Woodchuck
10-25-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't think Cowher would come here any way. I think we would be third on his list.

1. Cleveland - He played there and is close to the owner.

2. Carolina - His daughters live there and his wife is dead.

3. Kansas City - he said we have a ton of talent and we would make the playoffs when we were 1-4.

I guess it just depends what he wants the most? However, i bet that will be with CBS.

Easy 6
10-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Really dont care if he's offensive or defensive minded, as long as he has the right coordinator on the other side.

I am starting to lend credence to this stat that says Super Bowl winners never go on to do it again with a second team, theres a lot of precedent there.

If he's not atleast a semi-longtime NFL coordinator though, i dont want him, while i totally get the desire and need for "fresh & innovative"... i have no interest in a true college rookie like a Schiano etc. I'm fresh out of patience for learning curves.

Attention to detail, discipline, not too intimidated to go out & get the very best to work beneath him and let them do their job, to name just a few things.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 02:39 PM
I've kind of been thinking about Mike Nolan. He did well in Denver and is doing it now in Atlanta with not alot of talent. I think he would have learned something in San Francisco. He reminds me of Hank Stram when he wears the suit.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/06/13/nolanx.jpg

And he proved in San Francisco, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he has absolutely NO business as an NFL head coach.

JFC. Try to keep up, Dumbass.

Woodchuck
10-25-2012, 02:44 PM
And he proved in San Francisco, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he has absolutely NO business as an NFL head coach.

JFC. Try to keep up, Dumbass.

Yeah, that's what people say when alot of guys get their second chance.

BossChief
10-25-2012, 02:49 PM
DJ is KILLING IT in this thread.

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Really dont care if he's offensive or defensive minded, as long as he has the right coordinator on the other side.

I am starting to lend credence to this stat that says Super Bowl winners never go on to do it again with a second team, theres a lot of precedent there.

If he's not atleast a semi-longtime NFL coordinator though, i dont want him, while i totally get the desire and need for "fresh & innovative"... i have no interest in a true college rookie like a Schiano etc. I'm fresh out of patience for learning curves.

Attention to detail, discipline, not too intimidated to go out & get the very best to work beneath him and let them do their job, to name just a few things.

So you wouldn't hire Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy?

Super Bowls are freakin' hard to win. That's why guys don't just leave and win them elsewhere. There have been 13 coaches to win the SB multiple times in the entire modern era. Those 13 head coaches all won their SBs within an extremely tight period of time. Why? Because it takes a special blend of players, oftentimes one or two players in particular to win a SB. He doesn't have that guy elsewhere.

Look at this list - the Coach, followed by the number of SBs won and years from first to last:

Noll -- 4 in 6 yrs
Belichick -- 3 in 4
Gibbs -- 3 in 10 (nearest to an outlier)
Walsh -- 3 in 8
Coughlin -- 2 in 5
Flores -- 2 in 4
Jimmy Johnson -- 2 in 2
Landry -- 2 in 7 (despite coaching forever)
Lombardi -- 2 in 2 (though there was the pre-merger years)
Parcells -- 2 in 5
Seifert -- 2 in 6
Shanny -- 2 in 2
Shula -- 2 in 2

That's right - even Don Shula only had a 2 year burst in the middle of his career where he actually won a SB.

Guys don't win multiple SBs, not because they don't remember how, but because it's really goddamn hard to do. And the guys that have managed it managed it because they had quick bursts of great talent. They don't leave those bursts of great talent so sometimes they manage to win another championship with it.

There's absolutely no causal connection between winning a SB with one team and not being able to win it with another. At it's very best, it's a stupid superstition.

If you hire Bill Cowher and give him commensurate talent, he's going to be capable of winning a SB. This team, with these parts and an above average QB - has commensurate talent. He can win here and win huge.

Of all the exceedingly stupid arguments I've heard w/r/t our next head coach, this is unquestionably the dumbest.

-King-
10-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Yeah, Wade went 9 years without winning shit.

Cowher went 14.

If the Steelers weren't the most loyal team in the NFL, he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

Wade got fired after going 16-16 with the Falcons, 29-19 with the Bills, and 34-22 with the Cowboys. You'd have to be stupid to say he's a bad coach.

Funny how Tomlin did what Cowher took 15 years to do in 4 seasons.

Easy 6
10-25-2012, 03:07 PM
So you wouldn't hire Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy?

Thats a very fair question & my initial reaction is to do a 180 and say HELL YES i would, they both seem like extremely sharp minds & have won at the highest level, its always hard not to like SUCCESS.

But, its also fair to point out that they have had 2 of the top 5 QB's in the league, the one position that can mask 1000 flawed plans... almost every year we see HC's who are depantsed when they suddenly find themselves without a stud at that position.

But in the end, i guess i'd have to agree with you, either one would almost certainly be better than anything we've had... on those two counts atleast, you win, feel better?

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 03:08 PM

Cowher went 14.

If the Steelers weren't the most loyal team in the NFL, he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did.

Wade got fired after going 16-16 with the Falcons, 29-19 with the Bills, and 34-22 with the Cowboys. You'd have to be stupid to say he's a bad coach.

Wade has gone 20 years without ever winning shit. Bill Cowher won 10 games a season and multiple conference championships.

And Tomlin did what Cowher did with Cowher's guys.

You know what - I'm not even going to bother.

Just go ahead and keep repeating this bit of idiocy to anyone that listen - it does more damage than any rebuttal I can put together:

"Wade Phillips is a better NFL head coach than Bill Cowher"

I'm sure you'll get plenty of people that are blown away by your sagacity.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Damn. DJ just burning King's fucking house down today.

Canofbier
10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Not going to read this entire thread, but I'm going to go ahead and say "one that's good" and "one that wins games". Original thought, I'm sure.

philfree
10-25-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't want a HC that comes in and says "we are going to be a competetive football team." I want a HC that comes in and says "We're going to win the Super Bowl!"

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't want a HC that comes in and says "we are going to be a competetive football team." I want a HC that comes in and says "We're going to win the Super Bowl!"

Matt Hasselbeck once said "We want the ball, and we're going to score" right before he threw a pick 6.

Rex Ryan says he's going to win a SB every damn year.

I want a HC that knows he's so good that he doesn't feel the need to advertise it.

I don't care what he says....unless it's "I don't know why we're playing so poorly". I !@#$ing well know that I don't want him saying that.

Jesus our coach sucks.

philfree
10-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Matt Hasselbeck once said "We want the ball, and we're going to score" right before he threw a pick 6.

Rex Ryan says he's going to win a SB every damn year.

I want a HC that knows he's so good that he doesn't feel the need to advertise it.

I don't care what he says....unless it's "I don't know why we're playing so poorly". I !@#$ing well know that I don't want him saying that.

Jesus our coach sucks.

I don't want a loud mouth HC like Ryan and I'm not sure how the guy needs to express it so perhaps it's more of an attitude. He needs to make our players think it's probable more then just possible.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't mind Haley w/o the headscratching stupidity...

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Cowher went 14.

LMAO

Wade Phillips.

LMAO

Clearly, you weren't old enough to watch his teams in DENVER (not Atlanta) or Buffalo. And he is absolutely the reason why the Cowboys were unable to advance in the playoffs.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Yeah, that's what people say when alot of guys get their second chance.

JFC, your stupidity has no bounds.

Nolan was given a talented team and the number one overall draft choice. He burned through coordinators for 4 years and couldn't field a winning team.

He's an excellent 3-4 defensive coordinator and that's where his ability ends.

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes! Finally, somebody on the Gus Bradley bandwagon. Here's another thing I really like about the guy. He was a great quality control coach. That job tells you a lot about his organization skills, how efficient he is with his time, and that he would nail the administrative side of coaching (RAC is a complete failure here).

Keep in mind this is a guy that Monte Kiffin said to Jim Mora: ""J.L., listen to me. I have got a guy here in Tampa that is one of, if not, the finest football coaches I have ever worked with. He's an A-plus. He's a once-in-a-lifetime coach. You need to talk to him." Kiffin then convinced Carroll to hire him. He must have made one hell of an impression on Kiffin.

If you're still not sold on the guy, read this article:
http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2019077545_brewer06.html

This sounds to me like a guy who can motivate the hell out of players.

Defense, defense, defense.

Offensive head coaches want to tinker with the offense or even run it altogether. There's just too much complexity in NFL schemes these days for me to think that someone that is running his own offense is also as effective as a head coach.

The guys that pull it off like Payton have a quarterback that is so versed in the offense that he becomes a de facto OC.

A guy like Chip Kelly is going to want his paws all over that offense and is going to be a mad tinkerer. I just don't like it.

I want my coach to instill toughness, discipline and attitude in his players. Those are traits more commonly found in defensive coaches/players. The swagger from a football team generally builds through its defense.

You absolutely need a good offense to win these days, but I think you get that from a qualified, creative OC working under an organized, focused HC.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Mmm.....

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the article, 'zilla. I hadn't seen that one.

I like the guy more and more every time I look.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Damn, I'm beginning to think DJ has become some kind of clairvoyant, CP-savant...

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 03:46 PM
You hire a leader and organizer as your HC, then you go get a guy that can scheme the shit out of things as your OC.

The two skill sets aren't terribly related.

This is what I've said across multiple threads.

It's early, but I like what Joe Philbin has been able to accomplish for a talent depleted football team. The Dolphins traded away their best offensive and defensive players, drafted a rookie QB and are currently sitting at 3-3 and are a few plays from 5-1.

Regardless of who their GM is in 2013, this team will be poised to make a move because they won't need to tie up their first round pick on a QB and have a pair of second and third round picks.

Philbin wasn't the "hot" coordinator. By all accounts, he didn't even call the plays. But what he was before being hired as a head coach was a pure football coach that was organized, detailed and level headed. His age (51) didn't hurt him at all.

THAT'S the type of guy I want to lead the Chiefs. Not a one-year-wonder like Chud or whomever.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the article, 'zilla. I hadn't seen that one.

I like the guy more and more every time I look.

Which essentially means that if Hunt doesn't act early (December 1 at the latest), this guy will be gone.

There will be several teams looking for a GM and head coach in 2013 and if he doesn't act fast, he'll be left holding the bag (again).

Sweet Daddy Hate
Not a one-year-wonder like Chud or whomever.

LMAO

Fansy the Famous Bard
Yes! Finally, somebody on the Gus Bradley bandwagon. Here's another thing I really like about the guy. He was a great quality control coach. That job tells you a lot about his organization skills, how efficient he is with his time, and that he would nail the administrative side of coaching (RAC is a complete failure here).

Keep in mind this is a guy that Monte Kiffin said to Jim Mora: ""J.L., listen to me. I have got a guy here in Tampa that is one of, if not, the finest football coaches I have ever worked with. He's an A-plus. He's a once-in-a-lifetime coach. You need to talk to him." Kiffin then convinced Carroll to hire him. He must have made one hell of an impression on Kiffin.

If you're still not sold on the guy, read this article:
http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2019077545_brewer06.html

This sounds to me like a guy who can motivate the hell out of players.

I would love to see Bradley in KC.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 03:49 PM
LMAO

I don't mean to bust Billay's balls but I didn't care for the Chud nomination and this year, Carolina has fallen off the cliff.

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Which essentially means that if Hunt doesn't act early (December 1 at the latest), this guy will be gone because there will be several teams looking for a GM and head coach in 2013.

The good news w/ Bradley is that he isn't so vested that he can demand control over personnel. So if Hunt doesn't have the stones to can Pioli, we could still bring him in.

The bad news is that Bradley has probably never even met Bill Belichick...so he's out if Pioli's doing the hiring.

Yup - we're hiring Pepper Johnson.

!@#$

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 03:51 PM
I don't mean to bust Billay's balls but I didn't care for the Chud nomination and this year, Carolina has fallen off the cliff.

ROFL I thought "Chud" was some made-up bullshit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I have faith.

Pioli will be shitcanned.

This team is GETTING Geno.

And we're getting a damned good HC for him as well.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 03:53 PM
ROFL I thought "Chud" was some made-up bullshit.

Rob Chudzinski, OC of the Carolina Panthers.

Well, the good news is that he'll certainly be available.

:evil:

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2012, 03:53 PM

It's early, but I like what Joe Philbin has been able to accomplish for a talent depleted football team. The Dolphins traded away their best offensive and defensive players, drafted a rookie QB and are currently sitting at 3-3 and are a few plays from 5-1.

Regardless of who their GM is in 2013, this team will be poised to make a move because they won't need to tie up their first round pick on a QB and have a pair of second and third round picks.

Philbin wasn't the "hot" coordinator. By all accounts, he didn't even call the plays. But what he was before being hired as a head coach was a pure football coach that was organized, detailed and level headed. His age (51) didn't hurt him at all.

THAT'S the type of guy I want to lead the Chiefs. Not a one-year-wonder like Chud or whomever.

We're actually agreeing on some things. Too often people get excited about the "hot" coordinator. In many cases, first thing I ask myself is... if this guy has been successful for so long, then why doesn't the guy ever get a head coaching job? Exactly what I said when the Panthers made the idiotic Ron Rivera hire.

Woodchuck
10-25-2012, 04:20 PM

I see where you are coming from and I like the idea of getting a guy who has been in the league a while with experience but, Philbin fell into a pretty good situation. His OC was his rookie QB's coach in college and I think that's a pretty big deal.

What about Dom Capers? Try and get him to come and be the HC and bring in Kevin Green as the DC. Are you completely opposed to giving former HCs another shot?

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 04:23 PM
I see where you are coming from and I like the idea of getting a guy who has been in the league a while with experience but, Philbin fell into a pretty good situation. His OC was his rookie QB's coach in college and I think that's a pretty big deal.

What about Dom Capers? Try and get him to come and be the HC and bring in Kevin Green as the DC. Are you completely opposed to giving former HCs another shot?

Dom Capers? Yeah, like Wade Phillips, he needs another chance.

:facepalm:

Capers is a decent DC but a horrible head coach.

And no, Philbin didn't "fall into" his situation. He and Mike Sherman worked together in Green Bay, runs the West Coast offense and was a no-brainer selection. Their brain trust decided that Tannehill was their guy and so far, he's playing very well and improving each week.

That isn't "luck": That's a detailed plan of success. Something the Chiefs haven't had since, well, the 1960's.

WhiteWhale
10-25-2012, 04:30 PM

He tried to win with Cordell ****ing Stewert.

Conjecture isn't evidence. It's just conjecture.

No, he DID win with Kordell Stewart. Not a SB, but if that's all that qualifies as 'winning' then there's only one winning team every year. Not a good way to track progress if you think 2nd place is just as far away as 30th place.

He went to the AFC championship game with a terrible QB. First season with a good QB he won the SB. That's how it happened.

If that didn't teach him the value of a QB, then he's just ****in' stupid.

It's not like he's my first choice, but it crack me up how people act as though he's an unaccomplished loser while last season the same crowd was ready to bust a nut at the prospect of getting a poor man's version of Cowher in Jeff Fisher.

chiefzilla1501
10-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Conjecture isn't evidence. It's just conjecture.

No, he DID win with Kordell Stewart. Not a SB, but if that's all that qualifies as 'winning' then there's only one winning team every year. Not a good way to track progress if you think 2nd place is just as far away as 30th place.

He went to the AFC championship game with a terrible QB. First season with a good QB he won the SB. That's how it happened.

If that didn't teach him the value of a QB, then he's just ****in' stupid.

It's not like he's my first choice, but it crack me up how people act as though he's an unaccomplished loser while last season the same crowd was ready to bust a nut at the prospect of getting a poor man's version of Cowher in Jeff Fisher.

I'm pretty sure the same people opposed to Fisher were the same ones opposed to Cowher.

RealSNR
10-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Leave it to DJ's Left Nut to steal my fucking guy.

I unfortunately don't have any posts touting my belief in Gus Bradley as a great NFL head coach, but I am pretty familiar with him. I wanted him in 2009 to be honest.

If not Bradley, I'd love to see an equally inspiring, organized coach like Chip Kelly. Although apparently that dude is set on never walking away from the college game ever. He's been turning down NFL offers the past two offseasons.

-King-
10-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Wade has gone 20 years without ever winning shit. Bill Cowher won 10 games a season and multiple conference championships.

And Tomlin did what Cowher did with Cowher's guys.

You know what - I'm not even going to bother.

Just go ahead and keep repeating this bit of idiocy to anyone that listen - it does more damage than any rebuttal I can put together:

"Wade Phillips is a better NFL head coach than Bill Cowher"

I'm sure you'll get plenty of people that are blown away by your sagacity.

So tomlin did what he did with Cowhers guys huh? Those same guys had a .500 record with cowher the year before Tomlin came.
Posted via Mobile Device

Woodchuck
10-25-2012, 05:55 PM

And no, Philbin didn't "fall into" his situation. He and Mike Sherman worked together in Green Bay, runs the West Coast offense and was a no-brainer selection. Their brain trust decided that Tannehill was their guy and so far, he's playing very well and improving each week.

That isn't "luck": That's a detailed plan of success. Something the Chiefs haven't had since, well, the 1960's.

Good info. I didn't realize they had worked together. It is a detailed plan for success and it will be interesting to see where it goes.

-King-
10-25-2012, 06:38 PM
It's funny that people just give Cowher a pass for not winning a superbowl until his 15th year in the league.

Any decent coach SHOULD be able to win 1 superbowl if he's been with the same team for 15 years.

Add that to the fact that he was the GM also and made personnel decisions, and that makes it even harder to give him a pass.

The only thing I like about Cowher is the toughness he would bring to the team. That's about it.

htismaqe
10-25-2012, 07:22 PM

Joe Philbin actually has a pretty impressive resume.

He was one HELL of an offensive line coach, that's for sure.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 07:29 PM
It's funny that people just give Cowher a pass for not winning a superbowl until his 15th year in the league.

Any decent coach SHOULD be able to win 1 superbowl if he's been with the same team for 15 years.

Add that to the fact that he was the GM also and made personnel decisions, and that makes it even harder to give him a pass.

The only thing I like about Cowher is the toughness he would bring to the team. That's about it.

Cowher was NEVER the GM of the Steelers.

In the 90's, he answered to Tom Donahoe and to a lesser extent, Tom Modrak.

In the 2000's, Kevin Colbert.

I'd rather see someone else in KC but JFC, get your facts straight.

WhiteWhale
10-25-2012, 08:00 PM

So Don Shula is not a decent coach right?

Or does only the FIRST fifteen years qualify? I never know about these arbitrarily placed standards, so I have to ask.

ChiefsCountry
10-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I would prefer a young upcomer but Cowher would be the one retread that I could accept. Also he would be somebody who would tell Pioli to go shove it as well.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 10:59 PM
So tomlin did what he did with Cowhers guys huh? Those same guys had a .500 record with cowher the year before Tomlin came.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Steelers had some serious injuries in 2006, had endured their longest season since the 80's and in all likelihood, were just plain worn out.

Not too many teams repeat these days.

And FWIW, Tomlin took over essentially the same exact team and same exact coaching staff.

So the answer to your question is yes.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 11:00 PM
I would prefer a young upcomer but Cowher would be the one retread that I could accept. Also he would be somebody who would tell Pioli to go shove it as well.

With all due respect dude, there's no way Pioli would hire Cowher.

IF Pioli is here in 2013, it'll be Bill O'Brien, although I think he's a goner.

ChiefsCountry
10-25-2012, 11:07 PM

If Cowher is hired it would be Hunt doing it IMO.

Titty Meat
10-25-2012, 11:08 PM

I think Bill O'Brien could be a great coach. He's done a great job at Penn State.

Titty Meat
10-25-2012, 11:10 PM

Except Chud isn't a 1 year wonder he's done great things everywhere he's went. Carolina is a dumpster fire but I do agree he would be a tough sell at this point.

Titty Meat
10-25-2012, 11:14 PM
I didn't even realize it was the same guy.

Are you ****ing kidding me? 9 seasons as a head coach over 20 years w/ a 1-5 playoff record and that's the guy he's calling for while shitting on Cowher.

And why? Because he's actually won something, so clearly he can't do it anymore. Hell, Cowher's even 10 years younger than Phillips.

King's opinion re: head coaches is now officially irrelevant. What a moron.

I don't mind King and he's not the only one on the board who does this but people get obsessed with a player or coach then anyone else becomes irrelevant.

But yeah there's no way I'd take Phillips over Cowher.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 11:19 PM
I think Bill O'Brien could be a great coach. He's done a great job at Penn State.

It's probably a little early to say but all signs at this point indicate that he could succeed at the next level.

We'll know more once Penn State concludes its season.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 11:20 PM
I don't mind King and he's not the only one on the board who does this but people get obsessed with a player or coach then anyone else becomes irrelevant.

But yeah there's no way I'd take Phillips over Cowher.

Look, I'm not a fan of -King- and never have been. But truth be told, there are far worse choices than Wade Phillips.

BossChief
10-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Bill O'brien isn't gonna go anywhere for at least a couple years.

Id bet anything on that.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Bill O'brien isn't gonna go anywhere for at least a couple years.

Id bet anything on that.

I think if he were giving the right opportunity, he'd leave in a heartbeat.

How many guys turn down the chance to be an NFL head coach?

Titty Meat
10-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Looks like O'Brien has a huge buyout

http://www.sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/584874/Agent--O-Brien-not-going-anywhere.html?nav=5017

BossChief
10-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Bill Obrien has ingrained himself into that community and is a man of integrity IMO and he has sold almost every player in that program to stay.

He would get pegged as a villian if he decided to leave after one year and I don't think he would be interested in that.

I could be wrong, but I see him at Penn State for the next 3 years MINIMUM.

BossChief
10-25-2012, 11:46 PM
What do you guys think about Shannahans kid?

He will probably get a lot of calls after this year...same goes for McCoy from Denver and Jay Gruden...I think those three have to be towards the top of the list.

Maybe even Bruce Arians...

keg in kc
10-26-2012, 12:05 AM
What do you guys think about Shannahans kid?Awfully young. But he's coordinated well in multiple places. Don't think he's just skated by on dad's name.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2012, 12:35 AM
What do you guys think about Shannahans kid?

He will probably get a lot of calls after this year...same goes for McCoy from Denver and Jay Gruden...I think those three have to be towards the top of the list.

Maybe even Bruce Arians...

If Arians continues to improve the Colts under such circumstances, he'll definitely be on several team's short list.

I'd take Brian Schottenheimer over K.S. at this point.

craneref
10-26-2012, 02:53 AM
I may be over simpllfying this, but how about one that wins!

crazycoffey
10-26-2012, 03:05 AM
how do we feel about john gruden? just asking, because I can't say I'd like him to run the offense with cower running the D if everyone would hate me for suggesting him....

AussieChiefsFan
10-26-2012, 03:06 AM
how do we feel about john gruden? just asking, because I can't say I'd like him to run the offense with cower running the D if everyone would hate me for suggesting him....

Be tough to get both of them to come back

crazycoffey
10-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Be tough to get both of them to come back

Well, I can throw shit on the wall the same as anyone else in this thread, can't I? Give them both personnel control on their side of the ball, something different that's never been done before, co-GM/HC and coordinators.

Woodchuck
10-26-2012, 07:22 AM

I like Gruden. I think the offense we have right now is very similar to what he had in Tampa. He could do alot with this team imo.

Micjones
10-26-2012, 07:27 AM
A fiery, meticulous coach who isn't interested in merely being friends with his players.

R8RFAN
10-26-2012, 07:27 AM

Anyone but Gruden, that would be unacceptable to me... I don't think you will ever get him out of the booth now.

Woodchuck
10-26-2012, 07:30 AM
A fiery, meticulous coach who isn't interested in merely being friends with his players.

I might get killed for this but, what about Tom Cable?

R8RFAN
10-26-2012, 07:36 AM

Nothing wrong with cable

CaliforniaChief
10-26-2012, 07:38 AM
I know I've put other names out there, but I'm intrigued by Chip Kelly.

People who know him speak extremely high of his innovation, organization, and intelligence. Look at what he's done in Oregon...amazing.

A lot of those traits could carry over. Tampa failed to get him last year.

Micjones
10-26-2012, 07:42 AM

No. Just no...

Woodchuck
10-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Nothing wrong with cable

I bet Oakland would have been in a better place right now if he were still their coach. I like the guy.

Plus, if Pioli tried to tell him what to do he would kick his ass! LOL

DJ's left nut
10-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

The same guys that won the Super Bowl the year prior?

The same guys that started out 2-6 when Big Ben was a turnover machine for the first half of the year (24 turnovers through 8 games) then finished out 6-2 over their final eight?

Yeah - those guys.

The 2006 team was a very good team that Ben really killed early on when he was responsible for 2 or 3 turnovers/gm. But hey, that's part of developing a young QB and that's a responsibility that Cowher took on. He also fixed it in a major way, cut the turnovers in half down the stretch and finished as strong as any team in the league.

Think Tomlinson didn't appreciate that? Think those players didn't learn from that?

That's okay though, just repeat your mantra for the world to hear:

"Wade Phillips is a better NFL Head Coach than Bill Cowher"

And the world shall reply - "You're an idiot".

DJ's left nut
10-26-2012, 08:55 AM

The Steelers had some serious injuries in 2006, had endured their longest season since the 80's and in all likelihood, were just plain worn out.

Not too many teams repeat these days.

And FWIW, Tomlin took over essentially the same exact team and same exact coaching staff.

So the answer to your question is yes.

Or more succinctly than my previous post - 'This'.

Just fail on fail on fail with this one.

"Wade Phillips is a better NFL Head Coach than Bill Cowher"

DJ's left nut
10-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Bill Obrien has ingrained himself into that community and is a man of integrity IMO and he has sold almost every player in that program to stay.

He would get pegged as a villian if he decided to leave after one year and I don't think he would be interested in that.

I could be wrong, but I see him at Penn State for the next 3 years MINIMUM.

He has to.

I honestly wouldn't want to be the team that took O'Brien away from Penn State. Not after the preaching he's done to these kids that could've walked away from their scholarships about family, team and trials. Not after he's played the only card he really has - loyalty - to keep so many of these kids in town.

No, I don't want to be the team, and I'm not sure I want the man, that leaves Penn State after 1 year. Not under these circumstances and not with how he's sold the program.

Chief Roundup
10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I know I've put other names out there, but I'm intrigued by Chip Kelly.

I am very curious about him as well. I was reading a little about him and thought this was funny.

Kelly gained national acclaim for responding to a season ticket holder's letter demanding a refund for his expenses after traveling to see Oregon's 19–8 loss to Boise State, which ended with Ducks running back LeGarrette Blount responding to a Bronco player's taunts by punching him in the face. Kelly replied to the man with a personal check written out for his travel costs (exactly $439): in response, the fan wrote him a thank-you note enclosing the original check, which he did not cash and made copies to frame.

R8RFAN
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
I bet Oakland would have been in a better place right now if he were still their coach. I like the guy.

Plus, if Pioli tried to tell him what to do he would kick his ass! LOL

Today we probably would have been ... But this season for us has been coming for a long time, time to pay the piper

King_Chief_Fan
10-26-2012, 12:55 PM
let's try one of these:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-07n_2ShHTfCQN09ybs1OeS4KwP8NIf4hhFLbm6-f7w58y-CekQ

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
He has to.

I honestly wouldn't want to be the team that took O'Brien away from Penn State. Not after the preaching he's done to these kids that could've walked away from their scholarships about family, team and trials. Not after he's played the only card he really has - loyalty - to keep so many of these kids in town.

No, I don't want to be the team, and I'm not sure I want the man, that leaves Penn State after 1 year. Not under these circumstances and not with how he's sold the program.

This is most likely true.

They lost very talented players this offseason, yet, there's enough talent to go 5-2 to this point. That just proves that Paterno wasn't getting enough from his players, IMO.

In theory, with Pennsylvania's in-state talent, O'Brien could turn this team into a beast in no time, winning forever the University's undying love and launching his head coaching career into the stratosphere.

BossChief
10-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Cowher hc
Norv OC
Rivera dc
Geno qb

Let's roll, baby.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Cowher hc
Norv OC
Rivera dc
Geno qb

Let's roll, baby.

Don't know about Norval, but the rest would the whole thing.

Richard_Cuckold
10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
definitely Cowher.

crazycoffey
10-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Don't know about Norval, but the rest would the whole thing.

yeah, I don't want anything to do with Norv

whoman69
10-26-2012, 02:17 PM
yeah, I don't want anything to do with Norv

Norv is a rent a coach. He'll be there one year until some stupid owner decides to give him top dog status again.

BossChief
10-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Rivera and Turner would be here until they retire or get fired.

Teams know they aren't head coaching material, but both are great coordinators.

Titty Meat
10-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Cowher hc
Norv OC
Rivera dc
Geno qb

Let's roll, baby.

That would be doable considering both could be fired but would Clark be willing to pay 15 million a year for that coaching staff?

DTLB58
10-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Winner.

Sorter
10-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Replace Cowher with Chip Kelly and I like it. Kelly's hurry up meshed with Norv's vertical philosophies would be interesting IMO.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Rivera and Turner would be here until they retire or get fired.

Teams know they aren't head coaching material, but both are great coordinators.

Norv's a Coryell guy, not an Erhardt/Perkins guy like Cowher.

I'm not sure why Rivera gets so much love but I don't think he's anything special as a DC. He was fine as a linebackers coach but you're seeing why Chicago let him go and didn't hire him as head coach.

There is a ton of talent in Carolina and they suck.

BossChief
10-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Norv's a Coryell guy, not an Erhardt/Perkins guy like Cowher.

I'm not sure why Rivera gets so much love but I don't think he's anything special as a DC. He was fine as a linebackers coach but you're seeing why Chicago let him go and didn't hire him as head coach.

There is a ton of talent in Carolina and they suck.

Rivera got the Caroline job via Peter principle and I'm not sure Cowher is married to anything but winning.

That would be a coaching staff and core that I'd be fucking thrilled with. Very excited.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Rivera got the Caroline job via Peter principle and I'm not sure Cowher is married to anything but winning.

That would be a coaching staff and core that I'd be fucking thrilled with. Very excited.

That's cool, I just have a different outlook.

My biggest fear with Cowher is the QB position. He felt he could win with stiffs like O'Donnell, Graham, Tomczak, Stewart and Maddox and he recently said on CBS that he'd back Cassel.

That's not a guy that I want coaching a football team in 2013, especially when coupled with his 7+ year sabbatical from coaching.

I'd rather see Arians or Chip Kelly or Jay Gruden before Cowher. At this point in time, Ray Horton and Gus Bradley deserve interviews as well.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Well, the other thing you have to keep in mind is this: Who are Cowher's coaching buddies and where are they in the league right now?

Gailey and Whisenhunt are head coaches. Arians is an acting head coach and will probably end up as a head coach somewhere in 2013. LeBeau isn't leaving Pittsburgh and Dom Capers isn't leaving Green Bay.

Cowher may find that putting together a fresh coaching staff would be a bigger challenge than coming back to the game itself.

HoneyBadger
10-26-2012, 04:05 PM

My biggest fear with Cowher is the QB position. He felt he could win with stiffs like O'Donnell, Graham, Tomczak, Stewart and Maddox and he recently said on CBS that he'd back Cassel.

That's not a guy that I want coaching a football team in 2013, especially when coupled with his 7+ year sabbatical from coaching.

I'd rather see Arians or Chip Kelly or Jay Gruden before Cowher. At this point in time, Ray Horton and Gus Bradley deserve interviews as well.

I usually hate what you have to say, but have to agree with you this time.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2012, 04:08 PM
I usually hate what you have to say, but have to agree with you this time.

Well, I'm honored.

Halfcan
10-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Really people are STILL talking about Cowher-LOL

put down the pipe he will Never be our coach-period.

Romeo wil be here next year-so we might as well get used to it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Really people are STILL talking about Cowher-LOL

put down the pipe he will Never be our coach-period.

Romeo wil be here next year-so we might as well get used to it.

I can get used to hating on this franchise. I've become quite adept at it.

R8RFAN
10-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I can get used to hating on this franchise. I've become quite adept at it.

You need to GTFO and find a new team

BossChief
10-26-2012, 04:42 PM

That's the thing that makes me think Cowher would be good. He DID win with some crappy qbs and once he got a good one, he won championships right away.

All he said about Cassel was that he wouldn't bench him (when asked before the 4th game) and that could just mean he didnt like the alternatives.

It's not like the guy would tell a GM to pass on Wilson, Smith or another franchise qb option in the draft...part of his job would be developing the kid we draft.

That said, I'm open to 5 or 6 other choices, too.

Shannahan jr
Gruden
Arians
Scottenheimer
And a couple others that slip my mind.

Easy 6
10-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Norv wouldnt mesh philosophically with the current regime, but if he did i'd be fine with him at OC, he knows how to use talented backs and isnt shy about chucking it.

Lots of very talented OC's cant hack it at HC.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2012, 05:14 PM
That's the thing that makes me think Cowher would be good. He DID win with some crappy qbs and once he got a good one, he won championships right away.

All he said about Cassel was that he wouldn't bench him (when asked before the 4th game) and that could just mean he didnt like the alternatives.

It's not like the guy would tell a GM to pass on Wilson, Smith or another franchise qb option in the draft...part of his job would be developing the kid we draft.

That said, I'm open to 5 or 6 other choices, too.

Shannahan jr
Gruden
Arians
Scottenheimer
And a couple others that slip my mind.

Think shanahan is too young. Arians strikes me as a pure offensive guru, not a head coach... And I think he's a smidge overrated. Schottenheimer... No.

I still think you are really overplaying the importance of hiring an offensive guru. To me, the only short list is gruden, Bradley, and Horton. Cowher maybe, but I don't care for him as much as I do those other guys.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Think shanahan is too young. Arians strikes me as a pure offensive guru, not a head coach... And I think he's a smidge overrated. Schottenheimer... No.

I still think you are really overplaying the importance of hiring an offensive guru. To me, the only short list is gruden, Bradley, and Horton. Cowher maybe, but I don't care for him as much as I do those other guys.

I think Gruden secretly loves KC. That's just the vibe I get from him.

I am highly intrigued with this Gus fellow though...

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Norv wouldnt mesh philosophically with the current regime, but if he did i'd be fine with him at OC, he knows how to use talented backs and isnt shy about chucking it.

Lots of very talented OC's cant hack it at HC.

You hire Bradley, and stick norv at offensive coordinator. And holy shit, this is one hell of a football team. The other oc that intrigues me is John Morton in San Fran. Comes from several great trees and has been a passing coordinator, so you know he's a guy that will want to air it out.

Here's another underrated oc option. Pat shurmur. He may be fired in Cleveland. This guy knows qbs and he's worked with lots of young qbs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-26-2012, 05:20 PM
You hire Bradley, and stick norv at offensive coordinator. And holy shit, this is one hell of a football team. The other oc that intrigues me is John Morton in San Fran. Comes from several great trees and has been a passing coordinator, so you know he's a guy that will want to air it out.

Here's another underrated oc option. Pat shurmur. He may be fired in Cleveland. This guy knows qbs and he's worked with lots of young qbs.

Why are some people loving on Norval? No thanks.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Why are some people loving on Norval? No thanks.

As an oc. One thing he does know is qbs.

Thing about having a defensive head coach is I think there is much more comfort in handing the keys of an offense to an oc who can run his own show. Norv can do that. But there are plenty of other oc's we can look into.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
I think Gruden secretly loves KC. That's just the vibe I get from him.

I am highly intrigued with this Gus fellow though...

Actually... Talking about jay gruden. I don't see how jon gruden comes back given his cooshy deal right now.

RunKC
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Mike McCoy. He's a guy this team will play hard for AND respect. He'll have them working, plus it would be fucking awesome to steal him from Donkeyland and have success.

I think we should have an offensive coach because offense is taking over, and more importantly, we need an offensive coach to help our 1st round QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-26-2012, 05:26 PM
As an oc. One thing he does know is qbs.

Thing about having a defensive head coach is I think there is much more comfort in handing the keys of an offense to an oc who can run his own show. Norv can do that. But there are plenty of other oc's we can look into.

Solid. I do think the Chiefs, especially at home, operate better under a HC from the defensive school. But then again, I'm biased, defense-loving kind of guy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Actually... Talking about jay gruden. I don't see how jon gruden comes back given his cooshy deal right now.

Gotcha.LMAO

bevischief
10-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Someone who can bring a winning atmosphere, make Arrowhead a place to be feared to play in again and Superbowls.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Mike McCoy. He's a guy this team will play hard for AND respect. He'll have them working, plus it would be ****ing awesome to steal him from Donkeyland and have success.

I think we should have an offensive coach because offense is taking over, and more importantly, we need an offensive coach to help our 1st round QB.

I don't get that. Why wouldn't we get that by hiring a defensive head coach with a very polished offensive coordinator? And a very good qbs coach? More often than not, it seems like offensive coaches want to call plays and often hire weaker offensive coordinators. I'd rather a strong offensive coordinator who devotes 100% of his time to his offense than a strong head coach who can only commit some of his time to the offense.

Schottenheimer and John harbaugh both hired cam Cameron to coach up Brees, rivers and flacco. Leslie Frazier hired a qbs coach in mums grave to tutor Christian ponder. Chuck pagano hired Arians to tutor luck. I don't know why people think we can't be innovative on offense with a defensive head coach.

bevischief
10-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Someone with a f*****g clue.

Easy 6
10-26-2012, 05:41 PM

Norv goes pretty much completely against something i said in another thread about "getting" the need or desire for someone fresh & innovative, but he is the kind of experienced hand who can be totally capable, championship capable, in the OC role.

I'm not advocating, but a team could definitely do worse at OC *ahem* Brian Dumboll, come to the principals office.

R8RFAN
10-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Someone who can bring a winning atmosphere, make Arrowhead a place to be feared to play in again and Superbowls.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

bevischief
10-26-2012, 06:02 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

That's what I want I have no idea who that is at this point. The clown who started this thread asked and I responded. Do I expect to see it I doubt it but I can have hope like winning Powerball some day...

Darckhorse0
10-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Give me an offensive coordinator like MIKE MARTZ or a fresh new comer like BRIAN SCHOTTENHIEMER. We can run the ball WE NEED TO THROW first. If the chiefs run and throw, we'd be big trouble to opposinh teams! Let romeo stay and run the defense, all we need is a good O coordinator.

R8RFAN
10-26-2012, 06:22 PM
That's what I want I have no idea who that is at this point. The clown who started this thread asked and I responded. Do I expect to see it I doubt it but I can have hope like winning Powerball some day...

You are an alright dude, I am just funnin with ya a little and being an annoying troll .

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Mike McCoy. He's a guy this team will play hard for AND respect. He'll have them working, plus it would be fucking awesome to steal him from Donkeyland and have success.

You're smoking crack

Pasta Little Brioni
10-26-2012, 06:24 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

You're team hired the coordinator of a below average Denver defense ROFL

SAUTO
10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Its going to be McDaniel's. If we keep Bowe and Albert, draft a qb. we could be GREAT offensively. need a defensive coordinator that's young and aggressive, if that was to happen too.
I've been totally against him before but the more I think about it the more I think he might end up being ok if he can get his ego in check.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Norv goes pretty much completely against something i said in another thread about "getting" the need or desire for someone fresh & innovative, but he is the kind of experienced hand who can be totally capable, championship capable, in the OC role.

I'm not advocating, but a team could definitely do worse at OC *ahem* Brian Dumboll, come to the principals office.

It depends on what your definition of 'innovative' is. I think Norv has led exciting offenses over the years. Is it unconventional? No. Is it effective. It definitely is. I don't think Mike McCarthy or Joe Philbin were exciting. But they ran one hell of an offense.

San Diego's offense has been a consistently high flying offense held back by a head coach who has no idea how to inspire the players in it.

R8RFAN
10-26-2012, 06:31 PM
You're team hired the coordinator of a below average Denver defense ROFL

I like him... He will do good.. Give him a draft or 2

bevischief
10-26-2012, 06:36 PM
You are an alright dude, I am just funnin with ya a little and being an annoying troll .

I know that it takes me a lot to get me going. Just the AFC West sucks as a whole at this point too many bad decisions by lots of bad management I would like to see the AFC West be a bad a** division again.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I know that it takes me a lot to get me going. Just the AFC West sucks as a whole at this point too many bad decisions by lots of bad management I would like to see the AFC West be a bad a** division again.

Not this year. The best team is a below average Denver team (no matter what the Donk homers say). Wouldn't shock me if the Saints lay the pipe to them on Sunday night.

bevischief
10-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Not this year. The best team is a below average Denver team (no matter what the Donk homers say). Wouldn't shock me if the Saints lay the pipe to them on Sunday night.

I agree. But this clown who started this thread asked and I responded.

Tombstone RJ
10-26-2012, 06:50 PM
lol

Pasta Little Brioni
10-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Brees reaction to that defense?

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2012, 06:54 PM

Hey!

Now you know full well that donkey homerism is the only sanctioned homerism here.

:)

Easy 6
10-26-2012, 07:24 PM
It depends on what your definition of 'innovative' is. I think Norv has led exciting offenses over the years. Is it unconventional? No. Is it effective. It definitely is. I don't think Mike McCarthy or Joe Philbin were exciting. But they ran one hell of an offense.

San Diego's offense has been a consistently high flying offense held back by a head coach who has no idea how to inspire the players in it.

Agreed on all, given solid talent and only the responsibilities expected from a good OC... ol mummy face can still hang.

DaneMcCloud
10-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Philbin was OC in name only.

For the millionth time, a great coordinator doesn't mean a great head coach.

Actually, it's usually to the contrary.

chiefzilla1501
10-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Philbin was OC in name only.

For the millionth time, a great coordinator doesn't mean a great head coach.

Actually, it's usually to the contrary.

Dane, trust me, this is one of the first points in a while where we agree. I've been saying all along I think this board gets too obsessed with the best X's and O's guys.

But my response was to someone who said Norv isn't an innovative coordinator. I'm just pointing out that innovative doesn't mean having exotic formations. Can Norv be an OC for a good offense? Absolutely. Is he a shitty head coach? Absolutely.

BossChief
10-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Its going to be McDaniel's. If we keep Bowe and Albert, draft a qb. we could be GREAT offensively. need a defensive coordinator that's young and aggressive, if that was to happen too.
I've been totally against him before but the more I think about it the more I think he might end up being ok if he can get his ego in check.
Posted via Mobile Device

Please...tell me this is a joke.

McDaniels is a cheater that is clueless.
Tim Tebow
Jay Cutler
Brandon Marshall
Bradford regressed under him, big time.
He goes back to NE and what happens? The offense struggles and falls apart late in games.

If Pioli is retained and he hires Josh McDaniels to replace Romeo Crennel, I am officially OUT.