PDA

View Full Version : Life Mount Rushmore

bandwagonjumper
10-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Anyone here been to Mount Rushmore? I saw a documentary yesterday about Mount Rushmore and I didn't realize it started 1927 and finished 1941. When it started people ridiculed it and of course it was built through the depression. Now its probably the most iconic place in america. Definetly want to see it.

The Franchise
10-26-2012, 04:14 PM
See it once and you'll never need to see it again.

Deberg_1990
10-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Did they ever finish the Crazy Horse monument?

Buehler445
10-26-2012, 04:17 PM

They got a hole.

The Franchise
10-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Last time I had heard........no.

The Franchise
10-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Crazy Horse is a huge waste of money. FFS.....the ancestors didn't even want it.

Crazy Horse resisted being photographed and was deliberately buried where his grave would not be found. Ziolkowski envisioned the monument as a metaphoric tribute to the spirit of Crazy Horse and Native Americans. He reportedly said, "My lands are where my dead lie buried." His extended hand on the monument is to symbolize that statement.[3]

Elaine Quiver, a descendant of Crazy Horse, said in 2003 that the elder Standing Bear should not have independently petitioned Ziolkowski to create the memorial. She believes that Lakota culture is based on getting a consensus from family members for such a decision, and no one asked the opinions of the descendants of Crazy Horse before the first rock was dynamited in 1948.[9] She said,

"They don't respect our culture because we didn't give permission for someone to carve the sacred Black Hills where our burial grounds are. They were there for us to enjoy and they were there for us to pray. But it wasn't meant to be carved into images, which is very wrong for all of us. The more I think about it, the more it's a desecration of our Indian culture. Not just Crazy Horse, but all of us."[9]

Seth Big Crow, whose great-grandmother was an aunt of Crazy Horse (the Lakota are a matrilineal culture), said he wondered about the millions of dollars which the Ziolkowski family had collected from the visitor center and shops associated with the memorial, and "the amount of money being generated by his ancestor's name." He said,

"Or did it give them free hand to try to take over the name and make money off it as long as they're alive and we're alive? When you start making money rather than to try to complete the project, that's when, to me, it's going off in the wrong direction."[9]

Other traditional Lakota oppose the memorial. In his 1972 autobiography, Lame Deer, a Lakota medicine man, said: "The whole idea of making a beautiful wild mountain into a statue of him is a pollution of the landscape. It is against the spirit of Crazy Horse."[10] In a 2001 interview, the Lakota activist Russell Means said: "Imagine going to the holy land in Israel, whether you're a Christian or a Jew or a Muslim, and start carving up the mountain of Zion. It's an insult to our entire being."[11]

Having the finished sculpture depict Crazy Horse pointing with his index finger has also been criticized. Native American cultures prohibit using the index finger to point at people or objects, as the people find it rude and taboo. Some spokesmen compare the effect to a sculpture of George Washington with an upraised middle finger.[

Rain Man

That's pretty much true. With my modern sensibilities, I saw it more as an abomination than a monument, and I wasn't expecting that.

Rain Man
They got a hole.

That thing's not going to be done before a comet wipes us out.

Deberg_1990
Last time I had heard........no.

Holy Cow.....i guess not.

The monument has been in progress since 1948 and is far from completion.[1] Completion is expected in 2120

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Horse_Memorial

mikeyis4dcats.
10-26-2012, 04:21 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32789924@N03/6801365322

stonedstooge
10-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I went to Crazy Horse mountain almost 20 years ago and it doesn't look to have changed much since then. I think there are 4 dudes up there who play cards most of the day except when they go out and throw a rock or two over the edge about once every 2 or 3 hours

Lzen
10-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Took a family trip up to Mr. Rushmore in 2000. Had a great time and really enjoyed all the attractions up there.

DJ's left nut
10-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Yup. It's cool, but really a little underwhelming.

Nowhere even close. Crazy horse has most of a face now. Otherwise they're still just digging the mountain out from the bottom up so they can get started on the horse in another 60 years. That thing will not be done in any of our lifetimes.

DJ's left nut
10-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Took a family trip up to Mr. Rushmore in 2000. Had a great time and really enjoyed all the attractions up there.

Devils tower was the coolest part of the area, IMO.

I enjoyed riding through the countryside much more than any particular attraction. There are some beautiful scenic highways that make for a great ride/drive.

Bugeater
10-26-2012, 05:00 PM
The Crazy Horse monument is a fucking joke. We were up there in 04 and I remember reading something about an admission fee to see what little bit has been done, but they let you take a rock from there home with you! Oh boy! Needless to say, we didn't even bother going.

A Salt Weapon
10-26-2012, 05:01 PM
We went about 4yrs ago, pretty cool to see. Went to the crazyhorse but wasn't going to pay to see an incomplete structure so we took a few pictures from the parking lot and left.

Bugeater
10-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Devils tower was the coolest part of the area, IMO.

I enjoyed riding through the countryside much more than any particular attraction. There are some beautiful scenic highways that make for a great ride/drive.
I thought the drive out to Devil's Tower was brutally boring. The damn thing is in the middle of bumfuck wasteland Wyoming.

Phobia
10-26-2012, 05:05 PM
I went when I was a kid but now we have the internet so I take my kids there about once a year on google. That's how most of our family vacations work now that I am in construction. Load up the couch kids, we're going to the ocean. OOOOH - look at the sharks!

CoMoChief
10-26-2012, 05:06 PM
I met the last living person who help construct it. I was like 7 yrs old (1992)...he was like 95 yrs old. Took a pic w/ him......have it somewhere.

DaKCMan AP
10-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Now its probably the most iconic place in america.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/12/123120/2489495-say_what.jpg

KChiefer
10-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Went there as a kid, hardly remember, because we never got a great view of it I guess.

Loved Devil's Tower though! Saw my first porcupine there.

Rain Man
10-26-2012, 05:24 PM
The Crazy Horse monument is a ****ing joke. We were up there in 04 and I remember reading something about an admission fee to see what little bit has been done, but they let you take a rock from there home with you! Oh boy! Needless to say, we didn't even bother going.

Maybe that's how they're doing the construction. Did you get to pick the rock or did they point at one and say, "Go get that one and carry it off"?

2bikemike
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
I really like the Black Hills. Its one of my favorite places to ride.

Rain Man
10-26-2012, 05:28 PM
I really like the Black Hills. Its one of my favorite places to ride.

Ever think about doing another Great American Road Trip like you did a few years back? I'd really like to do that.

Interestingly, my wife indicated an interest for the first time in round the world trip when we retire. I've always wanted to do that, and she was indifferent at best. She saw an article about a couple that did it and it intrigued her.

BlackHelicopters
10-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Catch Reptile World near Mt Rushmore. And have a Lincoln for breakfast.

Simply Red
10-26-2012, 05:50 PM
neat thread, i've never been there, i'd like to though.

& honestly i'd forgotten all about Devil's tower, that thing is bad ass.

Kennesaw Mountain in Georgia is almost as creepy looking though.

Simply Red
10-26-2012, 05:52 PM
in fairness - if you research Kennesaw Mountain, the google image photos don't do it justice, additionally it's much more odd looking in the winter months.

Frazod
10-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I've been there several times. It's particularly cool at night - they light the faces up with flood lights.

The Black Hills are my favorite place. Rushmore is neat, but it pales by comparison to the natural beauty around it.

RealSNR
10-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Swearing and political shit in this video. Don't click and complain:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L_rDrain_Zg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King-
10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Holy Cow.....i guess not.

The monument has been in progress since 1948 and is far from completion.[1] Completion is expected in 2120

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Horse_Memorial

Oh shit, ROFLROFL I remember watching a video on that in elementary school.

-King-
10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/12/123120/2489495-say_what.jpg

I was thinking that too. I don't even think it's in the top 10.

Bwana
10-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I've been to "the rock" several times as well. If you haven't been there, it's worth the trip.

whoman69
10-26-2012, 06:59 PM

They will never finish it.

hometeam
10-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Completely agree with Penn and Teller.

Simply Red
10-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Completely agree with Penn and Teller.

GREAT! Now If only i could find my Whoop Da' it is gif!!

Miles
10-26-2012, 08:02 PM
I recall it being fairly underwhelming as a kid. Recall there being fudge.

Simply Red
10-26-2012, 08:06 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L_rDrain_Zg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

negative rape rep.

Frazod
10-26-2012, 09:11 PM

I like Penn and Teller, and many of their shows are good and make excellent points, but this one is, well, bullshit. I quite watching fairly early on. It mainly seems like Penn doesn't have much use for the fly-over states, and can't understand why anybody would want to go to "bum-fuck South Dakota." Apparently he doesn't appreciate any sort of beauty that can't give him a lap dance and a hummer. I found that entire argument to be very offensive.

Oh, and FUCK THE SIOUX and their "sacred lands" shit. They kicked the Cheyenne out of the Black Hills 80 years before we kicked them out of the Black Hills, and you don't hear the Cheyenne crying about it. I understand the Black Hills are sacred to them. They're sacred to me, too. Did the government break a treaty to take the lands? Yep. Guess what - that's what governments do, all over the world. Don't want your shit taken? Don't lose. Thank you for playing and now go fuck yourself.

SDChief
10-26-2012, 09:52 PM
live right by it... ride by it all summer on the bikes :)

bandwagonjumper
10-27-2012, 03:32 AM
I was thinking that too. I don't even think it's in the top 10.

Maybe for an american. As a foreigner I can't think of many more iconic monuments. White House, Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge?

tmax63
10-27-2012, 08:29 AM
I and momma went to the Black Hills about 2 months ago. Rushmore was underwhelming but went back for the lighting ceremony and that was pretty cool.
The cool thing about Crazy Horse is that it is totally privately funded. Not 1 taxpayer dollar has been spent on it. The guy who was asked to do the carving has died but his sons and daughters have continued on with it. Also the scale of it compared to Rushmore is wild. Rushmore will fit in Crazy Horse's hair when it's done.

Monty
10-27-2012, 08:44 AM
I like Penn and Teller, and many of their shows are good and make excellent points, but this one is, well, bullshit. I quite watching fairly early on. It mainly seems like Penn doesn't have much use for the fly-over states, and can't understand why anybody would want to go to "bum-fuck South Dakota." Apparently he doesn't appreciate any sort of beauty that can't give him a lap dance and a hummer. I found that entire argument to be very offensive.

Oh, and FUCK THE SIOUX and their "sacred lands" shit. They kicked the Cheyenne out of the Black Hills 80 years before we kicked them out of the Black Hills, and you don't hear the Cheyenne crying about it. I understand the Black Hills are sacred to them. They're sacred to me, too. Did the government break a treaty to take the lands? Yep. Guess what - that's what governments do, all over the world. Don't want your shit taken? Don't lose. Thank you for playing and now go fuck yourself.

This is my take as well, but Frazod's narrative is much better. I was born in the Black Hills, my family is from there and there is so much family history is there. We are going back for 2 weeks next summer and can't wait to be home again. For those that are interested, there are other places that are test other than Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Devil's Tower has always been a favorite. Sure, you may say there's nothing out there, so if that's the case, then just keep on believing that. That allows those of us who appreciate the land a better opportunity to enjoy the area without the crowds.

whoman69
10-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I and momma went to the Black Hills about 2 months ago. Rushmore was underwhelming but went back for the lighting ceremony and that was pretty cool.
The cool thing about Crazy Horse is that it is totally privately funded. Not 1 taxpayer dollar has been spent on it. The guy who was asked to do the carving has died but his sons and daughters have continued on with it. Also the scale of it compared to Rushmore is wild. Rushmore will fit in Crazy Horse's hair when it's done.

The problem with that is they never have enough money to really do any construction on the place. 64 years in and they are only about 15% done.

The lighting ceremony is pretty cool. I thoroughly enjoyed Rushmore but a lot of the places around it are a money suck. I got shy at the lighting ceremony and didn't go down when they asked for vets.

Monty
10-27-2012, 12:42 PM
The problem with that is they never have enough money to really do any construction on the place. 64 years in and they are only about 15% done.

The lighting ceremony is pretty cool. I thoroughly enjoyed Rushmore but a lot of the places around it are a money suck. I got shy at the lighting ceremony and didn't go down when they asked for vets.

The reason why there is no money is that they refuse any government aid. While good in premise, it is not the only reason that the carving is not done. The money has been offered privately, but the family has chosen to milk this thing out vs finish it. I know that this isn't the widely held opinion, but I find it ironic that the premise is to not rely on gubment money, but instead on private funds to maintain their family.

Also, if you're ever in Hill City, have a prime rib at the Alpine Inn.

Aries Walker
10-27-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm with Penn and Teller, too. Having had our ancestors conquer an area is one thing; continuing to profit off of blasting the faces of our leaders into their holy land is another, especially since this isn't another country; these are Americans. When I become President, I'll use the profits from Mt. Rushmore tourism to create college scholarships and social programs for the members of the Lakota Sioux tribe. It's only fair.

Monty
10-27-2012, 01:27 PM
That's all well and fine, but the Lakota Sioux have an offer on the table for $1.3 billion and have refused it.

That would buy a lot of White Port and cigs....