PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Myth of Glenn Dorsey

Sorter
10-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I continually hear via radio and occasionally here that Dorsey would be better in a 1-gap scheme and/or a 4-3 base front.

This is a myth. On our sub packages, our two DTs (Poe and Bailey) play a 3-tech and a shaded 2-tech or 1-tech. People complaining that Dorsey just needs to be turned loose and enabled to attack the passer need to realize that if Dorsey was able to do those things, he would have been starting in our sub-package since he was drafted.

The fact is, Dorsey simply hasn't and won't meet the expectations that he received when drafted in the top 5. That isn't due to scheme or philosophies, IMO. If he was good enough to rush the passer from the several DT techniques that most 4-3 teams run, he would be starting on our sub packages and been productive.

This isn't shocking news to most but I thought it might be thread worthy because of the bitching I continually hear about Dorsey and how we might receive a pick for trading him.

ShowtimeSBMVP
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Nothing more then a Backup in the NFL.

The Franchise
10-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Fucking bust.

I'm pissed that I bought his jersey after we drafted him. He'll go into the box of shame alongside Larry Johnson's jersey.

Bowser
10-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Atlanta wanted him pretty bad going into his second season. We should have held on to Gonzalez and traded Dorsey (and yes, I realize Tony was the one that asked for the trade).

gblowfish
The thing that kills me about our D-line is how much we rotate them. We have three extremely high draft picks in Poe, Dorsey and Jackson, and (when healthy) those guys are only in for about 50% of the snaps. I understand rotating players in to keep players fresh, but come on, man. These guys were drafted to make a difference. We could get the same production from third-fourth-fifth round picks.

The Mayor
Why would anyone on the radio even mention this blah waste of a pick. He is so invisible I don't know how anyone ever thinks of him.

Deberg_1990
10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
We should have lost 1 more game in 2007 and drafted Ryan ahead of Atlanta

BlackHelicopters
10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Dorsey is still on the roster?

Sorter
10-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Why would anyone on the radio even mention this blah waste of a pick. He is so invisible I don't know how anyone ever thinks of him.

Same people who think Cassel "just needs more time".

Skyy God
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Or traded up with StL. It's not like we used our 2009 1st on a productive player.

TheGuardian
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM
I continually hear via radio and occasionally here that Dorsey would be better in a 1-gap scheme and/or a 4-3 base front.

This is a myth. On our sub packages, our two DTs (Poe and Bailey) play a 3-tech and a shaded 2-tech or 1-tech. People complaining that Dorsey just needs to be turned loose and enabled to attack the passer need to realize that if Dorsey was able to do those things, he would have been starting in our sub-package since he was drafted.

The fact is, Dorsey simply hasn't and won't meet the expectations that he received when drafted in the top 5. That isn't due to scheme or philosophies, IMO. If he was good enough to rush the passer from the several DT techniques that most 4-3 teams run, he would be starting on our sub packages and been productive.

This isn't shocking news to most but I thought it might be thread worthy because of the bitching I continually hear about Dorsey and how we might receive a pick for trading him.

I've said this all along and dumbasses kept arguing and talking about his college years.

He has never been a Warren Sapp type. Ever. His pass rush is non existent and was never really there. People write the shit they do because they don't REALLY know how to watch football and just parrot the shit writers say.

The Franchise
10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Well that didn't take very long.

Woodchuck
10-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Who in the hell cares about Glen Dorsey right now?

L.A. Chieffan
10-29-2012, 10:53 AM
He sux but Tyson Jackson is still more of a bust

Sorter
10-29-2012, 10:55 AM
He sux but Tyson Jackson is still more of a bust

This I'm not sure about. Draft spot, yes. In terms of hype and expectations, no.

htismaqe
10-29-2012, 10:56 AM
I've said this all along and dumbasses kept arguing and talking about his college years.

He has never been a Warren Sapp type. Ever. His pass rush is non existent and was never really there. People write the shit they do because they don't REALLY know how to watch football and just parrot the shit writers say.

The injuries were rather serious too...

L.A. Chieffan
10-29-2012, 10:58 AM
This I'm not sure about. Draft spot, yes. In terms of hype and expectations, no.

Sure, but people werent laughing when the Chiefs picked him. If it wasnt the Chiefs he probably wouldve been gone the very next pick with the Jets (Gholston). When Jax got picked, other teams snickered.

Rausch
10-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Sure, but people werent laughing when the Chiefs picked him. If it wasnt the Chiefs he probably wouldve been gone the very next pick with the Jets (Gholston). When Jax got picked, other teams snickered.

I don't think anyone viewed him as a top 10 talent other than us.

We could have traded down 10 spots and still had the guy...

Sorter
10-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Exactly. Nobody expected Tyson to be productive. Most expected Dorsey to at the very least be an above average run-stopper fairly soon. It took him until 2010 and he has since regressed.

chiefzilla1501
10-29-2012, 11:10 AM

While I hink this is true, you also have to ask if he was coached full time on more 1 gap technique. It's like asking a rb to be a star receiver. I still think he could be an adequate one gapper.

Ace Gunner
10-29-2012, 11:11 AM
maybe he needs energy drinks
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=122&pictureid=981

ModSocks
10-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Who?

chiefzilla1501
10-29-2012, 11:13 AM

That's untrue that his pass rush was non existent. He was great at collapsing he pocket at lsu. He just doesn't have closing speed. But he needs to learn technique. In the two gap he has been trained to read and react.

Sorter
10-29-2012, 11:15 AM
While I hink this is true, you also have to ask if he was coached full time on more 1 gap technique. It's like asking a rb to be a star receiver. I still think he could be an adequate one gapper.

Inadequate comparison IMO. If Dorsey showed an ability to penetrate consistently, he would be getting be playing all 3 downs, the majority being in our 2-3-6 in which he would be playing a shaded 2/1-tech or the 3-tech.

If he had any ability to do that at all, he would have been starting in that spot full time and producing when Romeo got here.

MIAdragon
10-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Who in the hell cares about Glen Dorsey right now?

He's no Brandon Siler.

L.A. Chieffan
10-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Exactly. Nobody expected Tyson to be productive. Most expected Dorsey to at the very least be an above average run-stopper fairly soon. It took him until 2010 and he has since regressed.

One person did.

Sorter
10-29-2012, 11:18 AM
One person did.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/saidaisuke9/FUUU.png

mcaj22
10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Glenn Dorsey - Warren Sapp
Tyson Jackson - Richard Seymour/Ty Warren
Dontari Poe - Haloti Ngata
Dexter McCluster - Wes Welker
Jon Baldwin - Vincent Jackson
Jeff Allen - Will Shields
Rodney Hudson - Casey Weigmann

Chiefs homers man four years of sippin the Pioli kool aid on crappy garbage talent

Easy 6
Who?

Exactly.

Rausch

Chiefs homers man

No, that's the Chiefs GM, man...

KC_Lee
10-29-2012, 11:23 AM
He's no Brandon Siler.

Or Darren Mickell...

CaliforniaChief
10-29-2012, 11:24 AM
We should take whatever anyone would give us for Dorsey. A 4th? 5th?

Bailey and Pitoitua are just as good.

Chiefspants
10-29-2012, 11:25 AM
I thought this thread was going to make an argument that he didn't actually exist.

If that were the case, I probably could have bought it.

Sorter
10-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I thought this thread was going to make an argument that he didn't actually exist.

If that were the case, I probably could have bought it.

I sorry. :(

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2012, 11:28 AM

Chiefs homers man four years of sippin the Pioli kool aid on crappy garbage talent

Pioli didn't draft Dorsey.

And everyone loved Dorsey heading into the draft.

TEX
10-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Some of us didn't. He was hurt.

Buckweath
10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Some of us didn't. He was hurt.

Yeah I remember you wanted Gholston, right?

Rausch
10-29-2012, 11:40 AM

When a BB could pick better 1st round talent than your GM?

Total fail...

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2012, 11:46 AM
When a BB could pick better 1st round talent than your GM?

Total fail...

What does that have to do with Dorsey?

I don't recall anyone being too upset over the pick.

It was the obvious choice. Or Sedrick Ellis.

In hindsight, Joe Flacco.

mcaj22
10-29-2012, 11:46 AM

yea, no.

a lot of people did not

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2012, 11:47 AM
yea, no.

a lot of people did not

Some wanted Gholston, who is even worse.

Who did you want?

Rausch
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM

No GM is 100% come the draft.

Neither has this BB. What's sad is the BB consensus would have been better in most cases than the player the GM drafted.

mcaj22
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Some wanted Gholston, who is even worse.

Who did you want?

it doesnt matter who i wanted. you made the statement not me.

mcaj22
10-29-2012, 11:51 AM
No GM is 100% come the draft.

Neither has this BB. What's sad is the BB consensus would have been better in most cases than the player the GM drafted.

in Piolis last four years yes

I have seen even the dumbest posters on here hit on players on each draft that would have been 10x better than what Pioli has picked

the Talking Can
10-29-2012, 11:54 AM
i forget he's even on the team

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2012, 11:55 AM
it doesnt matter who i wanted. you made the statement not me.

Gholston? LMAO

mcaj22
10-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Gholston? LMAO

now i am stupid. but i am not that stupid

HemiEd
10-29-2012, 12:00 PM

Exactly, this place was elated, just like they were when DJ was drafted and Eric Berry. Tyson Jackson and Hali, not so much.

mcaj22
10-29-2012, 12:02 PM
jon baldwin not so much

dontari poe not so much

and dexter mccluster... this place was hilarious when he was picked

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2012, 12:04 PM
now i am stupid. but i am not that stupid

Who did you want? Confess.

I really liked Dorsey. He's a bust. I'm over it.

I also liked Ellis.

If you say Flacco, you're lying.

HemiEd
10-29-2012, 12:07 PM
jon baldwin not so much

dontari poe not so much

We can rehash the selection of players all we want, but they are not the main problem right now.

This team currently has a horendous disease, that has infected all of them, and it is Romeo Crennel. In fact, I am confused how he was even successful as a DC.

I am not sure it is curable by just replacing Crennel and Pioli as far as it has gone.

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2012, 12:09 PM
jon baldwin not so much

dontari poe not so much

I liked Baldwin. Difficult to evaluate with shitty QBs.

I don't know about Poe. It's not too late for him if we can get some good coaching in here.

Dex, I assumed he was going to be a Welker-type. They still don't know what to do with him. He hasn't excelled at either position. He means exactly squat to me at this point.

Sorter
10-29-2012, 12:10 PM
We can rehash the selection of players all we want, but they are not the main problem right now.

This team currently has a horendous disease, that has infected all of them, and it is Romeo Crennel. In fact, I am confused how he was even successful as a DC.

I am not sure it is curable by just replacing Crennel and Pioli as far as it has gone.

Romeo's defense is successful when the offense has sustained drives, eliminates the run entirely, and can get a pass rush from their interior rushers in their sub-package.

None of these things have happened except for in 2 games.

Woodchuck
10-29-2012, 12:12 PM
There is a really bad ass DE from LSU that will probably go in the top 10 this year. His name is Sam Montgomery. Will the next GM carry the torch?

Sorter
10-29-2012, 12:17 PM
I liked Baldwin. Difficult to evaluate with shitty QBs.

I don't know about Poe. It's not too late for him if we can get some good coaching in here.

Dex, I assumed he was going to be a Welker-type. They still don't know what to do with him. He hasn't excelled at either position. He means exactly squat to me at this point.

Baldwin- could be an adequate #2 who can stretch the field with an above average QB. Struggles to gain separation and is limited to digs, slants, back shoulder, and 9 (fly) routes IMO. Because of that, you could potentially get him to be adequate at deep outs playing flanker or split-end if teams are giving him respect deep. However, it is unlikely IMO.

Poe- could still be an excellnt 1-gap NT and play the 3,2, and 1 tech in sub packages. Needs to learn how to play with a lower pad level, maintain good footwork, and keep his feet driving when executing a bull-rush from the interior. Needs a lot of work.

Dex- can be effective as a 5th receiving option or maybe a 3rd down back. Isn't fast and needs to bulk up significantly, IMO for him to truly be effective (without losing the little speed he has).

Overall, I don't have a problem with the Baldwin pick. He was supposed to open things up underneath and our receiving corps (Kevin Curtis) was abysmal. He has struggled and isn't getting a free pass from me. Poe, I understand the philosophy/reasoning behind it but I wouldn't have made that pick. Dexter shouldn't have been taken in the first 4 rounds IMO and takes reps from others that could be better options (2 TE sets, Breaston).

mcaj22
10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
There is a really bad ass DE from LSU that will probably go in the top 10 this year. His name is Sam Montgomery. Will the next GM carry the torch?

there are two DE/DT whatever guys at LSU that are projected really high

surely if Pioli is still here he takes one

OzarksChiefsFan
10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Your opinion runs contrary to what pro scouts say about him. Our run defense is better with him in there no doubt about that.

Sorter
10-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Your opinion runs contrary to what pro scouts say about him. Our run defense is better with him in there no doubt about that.

That isn't what my OP says at all...

dilligaf
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
****ing bust.

I'm pissed that I bought his jersey after we drafted him. He'll go into the box of shame alongside Larry Johnson's jersey.

Can I throw my Sims jersey in there too?

Xanathol
10-29-2012, 02:28 PM
You've got a front office who gives a big contract to a high school QB, won't sign worthwhile free agents, currently has a head coach / DC that the players aren't allowed to talk to during the game, and is basically an all around failure as an organization at the moment and you reason that bc Dorsey is taken out on sub packages by THIS team, he must not be good at rushing the passer?!?

This thread should be added to the epic fail thread...

Sorter
10-29-2012, 02:40 PM
You've got a front office who gives a big contract to a high school QB, won't sign worthwhile free agents, currently has a head coach / DC that the players aren't allowed to talk to during the game, and is basically an all around failure as an organization at the moment and you reason that bc Dorsey is taken out on sub packages by THIS team, he must not be good at rushing the passer?!?

This thread should be added to the epic fail thread...

He's not good at rushing the passer. If he was, Allen Bailey wouldn't have been drafted. You're a fucking moron. Do you watch the Chiefs play football? Jesus fucking Christ. Fucking people who have no sense at all or any kind of football knowledge whatsoever like this fucking paramecium and BlackBob are allowed to stay on this board?

Sorter
10-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Why don't you actually watch Dorsey play in 2009, 2010, and the first half of last year. Watch carefully, and you can see him continually fail to get any kind of push up the pocket or show enough athleticism to stunt effectively. There is a reason he has come off the field in sub-packages. It is because he isn't good enough at rushing the passer.

Fuck me, I just got trolled didn't I? Oh, XanathBob you...

http://oi39.tinypic.com/20ff404.jpg

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2012, 02:52 PM
How sad is it that Dorsey's last season at LSU he had 7 sacks.

He has 4 in the last 4 seasons combined.

KCFaninSEA
10-29-2012, 03:08 PM
I think most people had Dorsey as one of the top 3 players in the draft the year he came out. He dropped because of team needs. He is not the first high pick to not live up to expectations. I have more of an issue with the drafting of Jackson. He should have never been selected as high as he did. That is an epic fail.

jspchief
10-29-2012, 04:04 PM

He has never been a Warren Sapp type. Ever. His pass rush is non existent and was never really there. People write the shit they do because they don't REALLY know how to watch football and just parrot the shit writers say. He had 7 sacks and 12.5 tackles for loss his senior year at LSU, in spite of routinely being double teamed. To say he has never had the ability to penetrate is ridiculous.

jspchief
10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
If he was any good, the coaches would leave him on the field.

Sincerely,
I'm not exactly sure why Charles only got 5 carries.

Xanathol
10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
He's not good at rushing the passer. If he was, Allen Bailey wouldn't have been drafted. You're a ****ing moron. Do you watch the Chiefs play football? Jesus ****ing Christ. ****ing people who have no sense at all or any kind of football knowledge whatsoever like this ****ing paramecium and BlackBob are allowed to stay on this board?
You're a dumbass and as such, feel the need to advertise that fact to the world. Dorsey is doing exactly what he is asked to do. Playing Madden doesn't help you realize that in the KC defense, the DL are responsible for all running plays - including the draw. In Dorsey's second year, the DC quite literally broke him out of his initial step, so he can perform their "punch & hold" technique ( typical base 3-4 ), all focused on guarding the run. And at stopping the run, he has been one of the best last year and the year before. But since you're a moron, you think pass rushing is his responsibility in this defense, because you simply don't know any better - and refuse to learn.

What you fail to see is your own idiocy in putting ANY reason into the staff of the worse organization in the NFL. The KC ownership is cheap. The KC GM sucks. The KC coaches suck. And yet you're basing player evaluations on their actions & how they determine who plays what, when & how?!? Without a frog fart bubble of a clue what the player is being told to do?!? That's the very definition of being a dumbass. Here's hoping you're sterile.

xztop12
10-29-2012, 04:19 PM
He can still be good we need a new DC. poe im not sure about

jspchief
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty sure the Dorsey experiment is over in KC, and I'm not sure he'll ever amount to anything now.

That being said, he was a legit top 5 pick with legit ability to push the pocket. He may never have put up more than 5 sacks in a season, but he should have helped collapse the pocket so our ends could do their thing.

He was a strong, explosive college player, that only got 1 year in the NFL to do his thing.

And the suggestion that the way our current coaches use him is proof of anything is the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

chiefzilla1501
10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Inadequate comparison IMO. If Dorsey showed an ability to penetrate consistently, he would be getting be playing all 3 downs, the majority being in our 2-3-6 in which he would be playing a shaded 2/1-tech or the 3-tech.

If he had any ability to do that at all, he would have been starting in that spot full time and producing when Romeo got here.

Well, this is the point I"m trying to make here. A RB isn't going to be as good of a receiver as a receiver, even if he was a great receiver in high school. It's because all their training goes toward being a running back. Now, if you spent a full offseason coaching receiving technique, prepping his body to be a receiver, maybe he becomes better.

Dorsey spent one year learning more of a NT from dimwit Gunther Cunningham. He spent the next 4 years learning a read and react defense. He hasn't been coached on pass rush moves. I'm sure the majority of his technique he's been coached on is engage-and-shed, as opposed to swim moves and other moves meant to get into the backfield. And the read and react takes away his greatest strength, which is his explosion off the snap.

I'd like to see Dorsey in a 1-gap. Give him the full offseason to prep and learn and practice it. I don't expect him to rack up a ton of sacks. But in college, he was always in the backfield pushing the pocket in. People say he played 2-gap. But in college, he was asked to explode to the ball, not read and react as he does today.

suzzer99
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I ran up and down my street yelling with glee when Dorsey fell to us. True story.

petegz28
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Bill Maas highlighted Poe tonight in MSN during his breakdowns and had nothing but good things to say about the kid

jspchief
10-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Bill Maas highlighted Poe tonight in MSN during his breakdowns and had nothing but good things to say about the kid

Bill Maas is a great source.

Hammock Parties
10-29-2012, 08:58 PM
PFF teased that he had a good game, too. Their breakdown is coming or is already out, haven't checked.

edit - yep, Poe had a 0.5 in run defense with 5 stops.

Not bad.

Sorter
10-29-2012, 09:48 PM
You're a dumbass and as such, feel the need to advertise that fact to the world. Dorsey is doing exactly what he is asked to do. Playing Madden doesn't help you realize that in the KC defense, the DL are responsible for all running plays - including the draw. In Dorsey's second year, the DC quite literally broke him out of his initial step, so he can perform their "punch & hold" technique ( typical base 3-4 ), all focused on guarding the run. And at stopping the run, he has been one of the best last year and the year before. But since you're a moron, you think pass rushing is his responsibility in this defense, because you simply don't know any better - and refuse to learn.

That isn't at all what any of my posts say, you moron. Dorsey is a fine run-stopper. The post says that people are making Dorsey out to be some mythical pass-rusher who would excel in the 4-3 or the 1-gap. That isn't and wouldn't be the case. Did you even read the OP? XanathBob, please go away.

Sorter
10-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Well, this is the point I"m trying to make here. A RB isn't going to be as good of a receiver as a receiver, even if he was a great receiver in high school. It's because all their training goes toward being a running back. Now, if you spent a full offseason coaching receiving technique, prepping his body to be a receiver, maybe he becomes better.

Dorsey spent one year learning more of a NT from dimwit Gunther Cunningham. He spent the next 4 years learning a read and react defense. He hasn't been coached on pass rush moves. I'm sure the majority of his technique he's been coached on is engage-and-shed, as opposed to swim moves and other moves meant to get into the backfield. And the read and react takes away his greatest strength, which is his explosion off the snap.

I'd like to see Dorsey in a 1-gap. Give him the full offseason to prep and learn and practice it. I don't expect him to rack up a ton of sacks. But in college, he was always in the backfield pushing the pocket in. People say he played 2-gap. But in college, he was asked to explode to the ball, not read and react as he does today.

Fair enough. Personally, I wouldn't be against re-signing him to a reasonable 2/3 year contract and seeing if he could perform in a 1-gap. I would just be surprised if he did.

TheGuardian
10-29-2012, 10:00 PM
He had 7 sacks and 12.5 tackles for loss his senior year at LSU, in spite of routinely being double teamed. To say he has never had the ability to penetrate is ridiculous.

I watched him at LSU. I'm an LSU fan. DUH! It's not about numbers. It's about the fact that he was hard to handle for most college linemen, however his pass rushing skills were always limited. I mean for the love of God Vernon Gholston was a beast at OSU and a total bust as a pro.

Dorsey was NEVER worth a shit at pass rushing. To insinuate he was based on some numbers is what's ridiculous. Did you watch him play? Fuck no you didn't.

Ace Gunner
10-29-2012, 10:04 PM
I watched him at LSU. I'm an LSU fan. DUH! It's not about numbers. It's about the fact that he was hard to handle for most college linemen, however his pass rushing skills were always limited. I mean for the love of God Vernon Gholston was a beast at OSU and a total bust as a pro.

Dorsey was NEVER worth a shit at pass rushing. To insinuate he was based on some numbers is what's ridiculous. Did you watch him play? **** no you didn't.

rep

T-post Tom
10-29-2012, 10:07 PM
If he was any good, the coaches would leave him on the field.

Sincerely,
I'm not exactly sure why Charles only got 5 carries.

Oh snap! LMAO

Chief Faithful
10-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Pitoitua was a backup that the Chiefs obtain from FA playing better than Dorsey on his best day. Glenn Dorsey needs to be traded for whatever draft pick they can get.

Chief Faithful
10-30-2012, 08:18 AM

Poe is already playing better than Dorsey.

Skyy God
10-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Pitoitua was a backup that the Chiefs obtain from FA playing better than Dorsey on his best day. Glenn Dorsey needs to be traded for whatever draft pick they can get.

He's injured, unproductive, and is making $5.5M this year. No way another team takes on his salary.

TimeForWasp
10-30-2012, 08:26 AM
****ing bust.

You should dye that LJ jersey black and wear it to the game.

Dave Lane
10-30-2012, 08:26 AM

Totally this...

jspchief
10-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Dorsey was NEVER worth a shit at pass rushing. To insinuate he was based on some numbers is what's ridiculous. Did you watch him play? **** no you didn't.Was was a DT you dumbfuck. The guy wasn't asked to be Michael Strahan in college, nor was he drafted to be him in the NFL. It wasn't his job to rush the passer, it was to collapse the pocket so the DEs could rush the passer. Of course he wasn't Warren Sapp. Sapp is probably the best pass rushing DT to ever play the game. But to act like Dorsey was wasn't disruptive in college is fucking ridiculous. 7 sacks from a TACKLE that was constantly double teamed is exceptional. Period. He was one of the most decorated DTs in the history of NCAA football. Suddenly revisionist history has the Chiefs reaching for a guy that would have been there 10 picks later? The fact that he made it to the 5th pick was an anomaly.

I swear to god you have some the stupidest fucking takes on football that I read on this board, and you constantly deliver them with this ridiculous "and I know what I'm watching better than you" rhetoric. You've got all the charm of Mecca with none of the actual football knowledge.

jspchief
10-30-2012, 08:57 AM
That isn't at all what any of my posts say, you moron. Dorsey is a fine run-stopper. The post says that people are making Dorsey out to be some mythical pass-rusher who would excel in the 4-3 or the 1-gap. That isn't and wouldn't be the case.Honestly, maybe I've missed it but I don't remember anyone ever acting like he would be Sapp-like or "mythical" in his pass rushing ability.

What I do see said often around here is that Crennel's shit-stain scheme is a bad fit for Dorsey.

I think most intelligent fans recognize that as a defensive tackle, his impact in the passing game isn't going to manifest itself in sack totals. Defensive tackles don't do what Warren Sapp did. Even so, 4 sacks in 4 years is an almost impossibly bad output.

Deberg_1990
11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
latest "Woe is me" story on Dorsey in todays Star.

I think id be perfectly happy if the Chiefs never drafted a defensive lineman in the 1st 2 rounds ever again........

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/05/3900959/time-may-be-up-for-chiefs-dorsey.html

After latest injury, time may be up for Chiefs’ Glenn Dorsey

Defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey swatted at the ground in obvious frustration at one point of last week’s game in San Diego, his calf injured again in his first game back after a four-game absence.

Dorsey may return at some point this year or perhaps this injury has ended his season. Either way, his career with the Chiefs appears to be winding down and certainly not the way they envisioned with they made him the fifth pick in the 2008 draft.

The Chiefs thought at the time Dorsey would be the centerpiece of their massive rebuilding project and a dominant defensive tackle the likes of which hadn’t been seen in a Kansas City uniform in years.

It never happened for Dorsey. A year after he was drafted, the Chiefs changed defensive systems to the 3-4, one not ideally suited for his abilities.

He became a useful player but not as useful as any team hopes the fifth pick of the draft would be. He is only a part-time player, playing against the run but coming out of the game in obvious passing situations.

His contract expires at the end of the season and the Chiefs are unlikely to spend a lot of money on a part-time player, so it’s more likely Dorsey will move on.

“He can play in the 3-4 but we drafted him to do something different,” said Herm Edwards, the Chiefs head coach when they drafted Dorsey. “They’re asking him to do something he can do but might not be the best thing for him. Sometimes it doesn’t work out. He’ll have an opportunity to go somewhere else if he doesn’t come back to Kansas City.”

Current Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel sounded immediately after the game in San Diego like Dorsey’s absence this time would be even more extended than the one that just ended.

He has since backed off those comments, suggesting Dorsey may not be out of the lineup that long.

“I was more disappointed, I guess,” Crennel said. “He’s a player who’s been working hard to get back on the field and then he gets back on the field and then reinjures himself. When you reinjure yourself after an initial injury, it’s not as good, so I was a little disappointed about that because Glenn is a good, solid player for us and has been a good, solid player for us. I think probably I let my disappointment show in the comments I made about him.

“We’ll have to see how that plays out.”

Even before the Chiefs switched defensive systems, Dorsey had a disappointing rookie season while playing for Edwards. But it’s not unusual for defensive tackles to take some time to adjust to playing in the NFL, so the Chiefs remained optimistic about Dorsey.
Then came the system change, one that affected a lot of the Chiefs defensive players but perhaps Dorsey the most. He was suddenly asked mainly to keep blockers away from the linebackers instead of making plays himself.

“He does a really good job in our scheme and in our system,” Crennel said. “He’s a pretty solid player for what we ask him to do.

“I remember (when Dorsey came to the Chiefs) that he was a good player and that there was a lot of press about his abilities and his ability to go on and come into this league and have an opportunity to be a solid player. I think here again, he’s another one of those guys who went from (a 4-3 system), a penetrating kind of defense, to a head-up, two-gap kind of guy. Since he’s done that, since I’ve been here, he’s been a solid guy for us.”

Despite that, Dorsey doesn’t get a lot of chances to rush the quarterback. He never developed as a pass rusher, something that shouldn’t be affected as much by a change in systems.

“Sometimes those guys who you put head-up on an offensive lineman, when a pass develops, they have to get to the edge and it takes time for them to get to the edge, whereas those 4-3 teams, primarily everybody is already lined up on the edge,” Crennel said. “That’s one or two steps that those guys don’t have to take, but in our system, we play our system to help against the run and then our linebackers are the guys who generate the pass rush.”

htismaqe
11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Romeo and Herm in the same article.

Throw in some quotes from Gunther and just let this thing implode already.

Chief_For_Life58
11-05-2012, 10:18 AM
any defensive lineman taken with the first 5 picks is a waste of value. QB, LT, CB, PASSRUSHERS, maybe safetys maybe tight ends. Anything else top 10 is a waste. You can just plug in all the rest of average bullshit players that get drafted every year. Atleast take a chance on a guy who would extremely impact your team with your first pick if he were to turn into a beast. Id rather take the chance then have glenn dorsey and tyson jackson. We coulda picked those guys in the 7th round.

BossChief
11-05-2012, 10:32 AM

Dorsey was NEVER worth a shit at pass rushing. To insinuate he was based on some numbers is what's ridiculous. Did you watch him play? Fuck no you didn't.

His first step was ridiculously good for a man his size and that is like accuracy and arm strength to qbs...or vision, acceleration and balance for running backs.

To act as if the guy never had the skills to be a dual threat DT is silly.

Saccopoo
11-05-2012, 12:04 PM
any defensive lineman taken with the first 5 picks is a waste of value. QB, LT, CB, PASSRUSHERS, maybe safetys maybe tight ends.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/758845/funny-gifs-wtf.gif#benny%20hill%20wtf