PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Expansion... London?

Mile High Mania
10-29-2012, 12:20 PM
I get the reasons why the NFL wants to expand into new markets, but London? How far away are we from having teams in Mexico and Canada as well?

I think it's a mistake, personally and something that would damage what they have rolling right now with the league. Keep having your games overseas, but a franchise?

C'mon man!

Fish
10-29-2012, 12:21 PM
No.

Dr. Johnny Fever
The London Silly Fairys would own the Chiefs

Stewie
How was the crowd yesterday? I only saw parts of the 2nd half and the stadium looked empty.

Bugeater
10-29-2012, 12:22 PM
You're just now hearing about this? But yeah, it's a dumb idea.

morphius
10-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Canada and Mexico would make more sense, at least the time zones match up. But London is just too far away. Could you imagine being on their schedule, flying to the US every other week? yuck.

The Franchise
10-29-2012, 12:24 PM
How the fuck are they going to work out travel? That team would be fucked with all of the jet lag.

htismaqe
10-29-2012, 12:28 PM
At least Mexico and Canada are in the same time zones. Teams already travel to San Diego, Miami, Buffalo, and Seattle.

London however is a completely different story.

ChiefsCountry
10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Mexico City Raiders

loochy
10-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Mexico City Raiders

or cowboys

Predarat
10-29-2012, 12:35 PM
That would suck for the Chiefs, they would have to travel to London every year to play the Chargers.

Mile High Mania
10-29-2012, 12:36 PM
You're just now hearing about this? But yeah, it's a dumb idea.

Nah, I've heard the desire before... just not all the press that I'm seeing today.

JD10367
10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
London is only 4 hours ahead of the east coast, so in terms of an east coast team going to London and vice versa it's only one hour more than going east-to-west coast. Problem is, it would be far too often (and even worse if the London team plays a west coast team). The only way it would work is if the London team had a special schedule where they played, say, four games at home, then four on the road in the U.S., then four games at home, then four on the road in the U.S. again. Which could be argued as being both an unfair advantage and an unfair disadvantage, thus probably balancing out. But, yeah, on the whole, it makes much more sense to start smaller with Mexico City and Toronto and then consider London down the road.

blaise
10-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Aren't the Jags playing like half their games there in the next couple of years?

Ghost of Maslowski
10-29-2012, 12:43 PM
hey Goodell, NFL Europe called, and they're still folded because europeans still don't care about American football.

bowener
10-29-2012, 01:17 PM
London is only 4 hours ahead of the east coast, so in terms of an east coast team going to London and vice versa it's only one hour more than going east-to-west coast. Problem is, it would be far too often (and even worse if the London team plays a west coast team). The only way it would work is if the London team had a special schedule where they played, say, four games at home, then four on the road in the U.S., then four games at home, then four on the road in the U.S. again. Which could be argued as being both an unfair advantage and an unfair disadvantage, thus probably balancing out. But, yeah, on the whole, it makes much more sense to start smaller with Mexico City and Toronto and then consider London down the road.

I think I know what you mean, but starting smaller would be London. Mex City is just under/over 9 million people.

Dylan
10-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Mexico? Who in their right mind would buy tickets to the game.

Mexicans are living in the middle of a drug-fueled war zone.

It's almost like walking around Pakistan.

Bane
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM

Or Chicago.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Or Oakland

Dylan
10-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Or Chicago.

LMAO

That too. But at least in Chicago they don't kidnap, torture, cut off limbs and use a dull knife to behead.

Lord have mercy, Mexico is one of the deadliest non-war zones in the world.

Dylan
10-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Or Oakland

I hear you. Good point. LMAO

NJChiefsFan
10-29-2012, 01:51 PM

Yeah Seattle to Miami is basically traveling from NYC to London but its the amount of times a London team would have to do it. Not to mention if a West Coast team was playing them.

Bump
10-29-2012, 02:01 PM
that's just STUPID

would want to play there or even in their division with all that traveling?

cosmo20002
10-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Yes, it is stupid, and there are a bunch of negatives to having a team in England, but there is one thing that to the league and players that would outweigh the negatives: $$$$$

Simple as that.

cosmo20002
10-29-2012, 02:18 PM
that's just STUPID

would want to play there or even in their division with all that traveling?

Players who get to have a job in the NFL and who are getting a cut of the extra revenue. "Want" and "will do it for the $" are different things.

Bump
10-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Players who get to have a job in the NFL and who are getting a cut of the extra revenue. "Want" and "will do it for the $" are different things.

well of course. But that team would have problems competing on the road I'd think, NFL Sunday full of jet lagged players, dumb.

MahiMike
10-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Aren't the Jags playing like half their games there in the next couple of years?

1 game each year next 4 years.

MahiMike
10-29-2012, 04:20 PM
London will have a team before LA.

BlackHelicopters
10-29-2012, 04:26 PM
A team in London? Didn't Tom Brady and Peter Griffin already settle this? They did shower together.

DaFace
10-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I can't see them adding a "normal" team over there like that. It'd just be too hard to have a team like that play 16 games against teams that are a minimum of a 6-hour flight away.

J Diddy
10-29-2012, 05:05 PM
With the Chiefs luck they'd crash in the fucking ocean and only Clark, Pioli, Romeo and Cassel would survive.

CoMoChief
10-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Someone needs to que in the "Sha-poopy" scene from Family Guy

chiefzilla1501
10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Seriously, fuck Roger Goodell. This an extraordinarily stupid idea. Gives huge home field advantage to the team in London, and huge visitor disadvantage to the team in London.

Make changes that make the game more competitive, not the ones that make the game more profitable.

Easy 6
10-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Even goodell cant possibly be hardheaded & stupid enough to attempt this.

The NFL is 10 foot surge awash in money, its the hands down most popular pro sport in the nation... no way he needs to "open the european market"... he's been the one used to doling out the heat lately, but if he even tried this he'd find himself in a stewpot.

|Zach|
10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
I feel like the NFL is exploring all of this because it feels like it is reached a tipping point in how much money it can get from NFL fans. There are only so many possible fans...so much merchandise...so many tickets. They have been wildly successful but they have saturated their market and they want to go somewhere that has new money.

chiefzilla1501
10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
I feel like the NFL is exploring all of this because it feels like it is reached a tipping point in how much money it can get from NFL fans. There are only so many possible fans...so much merchandise...so many tickets. They have been wildly successful but they have saturated their market and they want to go somewhere that has new money.

The problem is that this is a pure business decision even if it completely compromises the game.

Do you realize that San Fran is a 13 hour flight away and a 7 hour time difference? Or are we proposing that London never have to play the NFC West?

Easy 6
10-29-2012, 05:23 PM

If America, Mexico & Canada dont provide enough money to keep everyone happy, then **** the NFL.

IMHO

|Zach|
10-29-2012, 05:27 PM
The problem is that this is a pure business decision even if it completely compromises the game.

Do you realize that San Fran is a 13 hour flight away and a 7 hour time difference? Or are we proposing that London never have to play the NFC West?

I am not advocating for it.

Doing it would be so "NFL" though.

|Zach|
10-29-2012, 05:28 PM
NFL wants those overseas viewers so bad.

This is a site that was made specifically for UK'ers new to the game and to the league. Gives you a crash course about the game and a general idea about each team to choose one as your favorite.

http://www.nfl-360.com/

chiefzilla1501
10-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Doing it would be so "NFL" though.

Agreed.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-29-2012, 05:36 PM

Zach and I completely agree on something.

Frazod
10-29-2012, 05:45 PM

Doing it would be so "Goodell" though.

FYP

Too bad we can't just ship Goodell to London and make him stay there.

|Zach|
10-29-2012, 05:49 PM
FYP

Too bad we can't just ship Goodell to London and make him stay there.

I am not a fan of his but this is more than him. It is just a huge league that has been absolutely flooded with money.

Money fucking ruins everything.

As we are learning on many levels.

Frazod
10-29-2012, 05:50 PM
I am not a fan of his but this is more than him. It is just a huge league that has been absolutely flooded with money.

Money fucking ruins everything.

As we are learning on many levels.

I know, but he's definitely leading the charge.

God I hate that guy.

alnorth
10-29-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't want expansion, screw expansion. 4x4 per league is perfect.

If an owner wants to move his team to London though... well, good luck. Its his business, as long as its not an AFC West team.

Jive Ass
10-29-2012, 07:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/72O6o.gif

Pasta Little Brioni
10-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Such a horrible idea and Goodell just thinks it's soooooo awesome