PDA

View Full Version : Football Steve Spurrier thinks Alabama could beat some NFL teams

mr. tegu
10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Steve Spurrier has coached in college and coached in the NFL, and he knows how much harder it is to win in the pros. And yet Spurrier thinks the No. 1 team in college football right now is good enough to compete in the NFL.

Spurrier said on the Dan Patrick Show that he believes this year’s Alabama team is good enough that it could beat some of the weaker teams in the NFL.

“Alabama, gosh, they look like they could beat a couple of those NFL teams that I’ve watched on Sundays,” Spurrier said. “I think a lot of the oddsmakers out there, that usually know what’s going on, I’d guess Alabama would be favored by a little bit.”

If Spurrier wants to talk up Alabama, fine, but let’s get real: The idea that Alabama could compete with any NFL team is ridiculous. Whoever you think is the worst team in the NFL — Chiefs, Jaguars, Panthers, whoever — would absolutely destroy Alabama. This year’s Alabama team is loaded with talent, but “loaded with talent” in college football means the Crimson Tide have maybe 30 players who will be good enough to play in the NFL some day. Every NFL team has 53 players who are good enough to play in the NFL right now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/31/steve-spurrier-alabama-could-compete-in-the-nfl/

Do you think Alabama could beat the worst NFL teams?

Jethopper
10-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Heard the same retarded BS about the Sooner squad in 03...until KSU beat the ever-lovin' shit outta them

tk13
10-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Alabama isn't even good enough to beat Kansas State! Or so I've been told.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2012, 10:50 AM
No dice.

Dante84
10-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Let's see how they do against LSU in an away game this weekend.

Phobia
10-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Is Cassel going to hand off all day or are they going to let him throw the ball a little? That's a deciding factor for me.

Bump
10-31-2012, 11:03 AM
lol they might be able to blow us out, lol

but.....probably not

ohiobronco2
10-31-2012, 11:05 AM
They might as well play pro teams. The top teams in the SEC are compensated like them.

RippedmyFlesh
10-31-2012, 11:16 AM
They might as well play pro teams. The top teams in the SEC are compensated like them. With the rookie salary cap they may have to take a pay cut.

dannybcaitlyn
10-31-2012, 11:18 AM
They should put that game in place of the pro bowl. Chiefs vs. Alabama!!

Bugeater
10-31-2012, 11:26 AM
I can understand when ignorant fans make retarded statements like this, but an actual football coach? Good god. :facepalm:

Frosty
10-31-2012, 11:29 AM
I can understand when ignorant fans make retarded statements like this, but an actual football coach? Good god. :facepalm:

It's a possible hint why Spurrier failed in the NFL.

the Talking Can
10-31-2012, 11:29 AM
the nfl would rape the shit out of those college boys...

BlackHelicopters
10-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Is Spurrier a ra-tard?

DJ's left nut
10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
This question comes up every year and every year it's stupid....

....with one exception: The 2001 Miami Hurricanes.

Look at this two-deep, fellas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team

QB is essentially Colt McCoy (Ken Dorsey)
RBs: Portis, McGahee, Gore, Davenport
WRs: Andre Johnson, Ethnic Sands, Roscoe Parrish
TE: Jeremy Shockey, Kellen Winslow
LT: Bryant McKinny, Vernon Carey, Joaquinn Gonzalez
Gs: Martin Bibla
C:Brett Romberg

Defense is even better:

DEs: Jerome McDougle, Andrew Williams, Jamaal Green
DTs: Vince Wilfork, William Joseph
LBs: Vilma, DJ Williams, Rocky McIntosh
CBs: Buchanon, Rolle, Kelly Jennings, Mike Rumph,
Safeties: Ed Reed, Sean Taylor

I know a lot of them were still really damn young, but still - I think that team could hang and/or beat a shitty NFL team. Not routinely, but if they played 10 times, that squad could take a few of them.

It was deep across the board in both skill and strength position players. It didn't have any glaring weaknesses that could be exploited. The team was just filthy.

That one, and only that one, could get me to discuss it.

Saul Good
10-31-2012, 11:51 AM
They might as well play pro teams. The top teams in the SEC are compensated like them.

That's why all those SEC teams are on probation, and Ohio State isn't, right? Funny thing, though...If Ohio State is so clean, and the SEC is so dirty, why did they hire Urban Meyer?

loochy
10-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Look at this two-deep, fellas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team

Defense is even better:

I know a lot of them were still really damn young, but still - I think that team could hang and/or beat a shitty NFL team. Not routinely, but if they played 10 times, that squad could take a few of them.

It was deep across the board in both skill and strength position players. It didn't have any glaring weaknesses that could be exploited. The team was just filthy.

Except for brain speed and game speed. The NFL teem would be playing at a level that the college guys are not ready for, whether or not they went on to be great NFL players

Mr. Laz
10-31-2012, 11:53 AM
every NFL team is full of the best of the best of college, PLUS they are all more mature,smarter and stronger later in the NFL.

The NFL Derrick Johnson would kick the crap out of the College Derrick Johnson.

it would really show up on the Oline and Dline

milkman
10-31-2012, 11:56 AM
I know that Nick Saban would out coach Romeo Crennel.

DJ's left nut
10-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Except for brain speed and game speed. The NFL teem would be playing at a level that the college guys are not ready for, whether or not they went on to be great NFL players

And the fact that NFL players do nothing but sit there and game-plan/scheme for hours on end.

Then again, if we're playing in the real world, the NFL guys are going to have about 1/2 the drive/motivation of the college kids. Those college boys will hang it all out while the pros would treat it like a Pro-Bowl and give it the effort of a walk through.

It just depends on how 'real' you want to make the sim. If we're going to give an NFL head coach a month to game plan for the Miami squad and practice with his guys while the Miami squad has to worry about college requirements and practice caps, that's going to weight pretty heavily in favor of the pros. If you want to start discussing effort, I think that's going to weigh pretty heavy in favor of the collegians.

In the end, the pros are going to win that game more often than not. But there is unquestionably more talent on that 2001 Miami squad than there is your worst NFL teams, at least at the top. I think that pure talent and youthful exuberance (presuming they have had time to be taught a cogent comparable gameplan to the pro team) could have them stealing a game or two.

Mostly I just come up with excuses to stare in awe at the talent that Miami squad had on it. It was just amazing.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Sadly, I think they could. Remember, the Chiefs mostly beat themselves. With these retards even the snap is a crap shoot. I fully believe that Alabama would win a close game just by capitalizing on their stupid mistakes.

Mr. Laz
10-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Sadly, I think they could. Remember, the Chiefs mostly beat themselves. With these retards even the snap is a crap shoot. I fully believe that Alabama would win a close game just by capitalizing on their stupid mistakes.

we would run for 350 yards against Alabama

Frazod
10-31-2012, 12:09 PM

We could run for 350 yards against Alabama. However, Charles would only get five touches and fumble at least once.

That's just how this team rolls.

L.A. Chieffan
10-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Never happen. The argument is pure lunacy

ModSocks
10-31-2012, 12:11 PM

This.

vailpass
10-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Hell. No.
The ol' ball coach didn't know shit about the NFL when he tried to coach in it and he apparently still doesn't.

Woodchuck
10-31-2012, 12:13 PM

Defense is even better:

That's a fantastic roster but, if they were still in college when they played the worst NFL team, they would get stomped. The speed of the game is just so much quicker. You can't just walk in and play without knowing what you are getting into imo.

vailpass
10-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Defense is even better:

Hell. No.

Woodchuck
10-31-2012, 12:14 PM

I missed this and was saying the same thing...

Bowser
10-31-2012, 12:15 PM
I wonder if he made this statement before or after Lattimore's knee ended up sideways on his leg.

mr. tegu
10-31-2012, 12:15 PM
And the fact that NFL players do nothing but sit there and game-plan/scheme for hours on end.

Then again, if we're playing in the real world, the NFL guys are going to have about 1/2 the drive/motivation of the college kids. Those college boys will hang it all out while the pros would treat it like a Pro-Bowl and give it the effort of a walk through.

You don't think the NFL team would be motivated to put the beat down on the college team. They would be saying, "you think you deserve to even be on the same field as us? Well you don't so we are going destroy you and not let up."

The motivation to not get embarrassed would make them destroy the college team in every way imaginable.

whoman69
10-31-2012, 12:19 PM
NFL teams take the best players from the 117 FBS schools and even some from lower divisions and mold that to 30 teams. Their players are also less experienced than their NFL counterparts. Because the NFL teams have their problems they might keep it close, but lets not pretend the talent level in college is anywhere near as good as the pros.

Quesadilla Joe
10-31-2012, 12:20 PM
From 1934-76, NFL champ played college all-stars in an exhibition game. College team won nine times. Two ties. https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/263706302021238784

Mr. Laz
no way are the NFL players going to want to be embarrassed by losing to a college team. The would be extremely motivated.

utter destruction

loochy
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/263706302021238784

:spock:

Coogs
10-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Is Cassel going to hand off all day or are they going to let him throw the ball a little? That's a deciding factor for me.

If we want to win, probably better use the hand off all day method we used against the Ravens. We all know what happens when Gus chucks the ball up in the air.

DJ's left nut
10-31-2012, 12:51 PM
no way are the NFL players going to want to be embarrassed by losing to a college team. The would be extremely motivated.

utter destruction

That's not what used to happen when they had the college kids playing the pros in the place of the pro bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

Granted, the pros eventually got tired of it and started winning more, but there was a hell of a lot more 'playing for pride' back then than there is now. We have pure paycheck players that are some of the biggest stars in our league. You think the 60's era players would've given us the debacle of the 2012 Pro Bowl we witnessed?

Moreover, the College All Star exhibition was done against the league champion, not the shittiest team you could find.

Minor league baseball teams come up and beat the pros during exhibitions with fair frequency.

Don't underestimate the possibility of the pro's coming out flat footed. 'Playing down' is as old as organized sports.

DJ's left nut
10-31-2012, 12:54 PM
You don't think the NFL team would be motivated to put the beat down on the college team. They would be saying, "you think you deserve to even be on the same field as us? Well you don't so we are going destroy you and not let up."

The motivation to not get embarrassed would make them destroy the college team in every way imaginable.

Not if it's a one-off.

Remember the 1992 Dream Team's scrimmage against the College All-Stars? The Dream team came out flat, lost the game.

The next day the Dream Team beat them by something like 50 because they were embarrassed.

If this is just a one-off scenario where overconfidence can (and would) become an issue, the pro team could get caught flat footed, IMO.

Shox
10-31-2012, 01:20 PM
You could hand pick a team from the entire college ranks and the worse NFL team (Chiefs/Jags???) would still beat them 9 out of 10 times.

Mr. Laz
10-31-2012, 01:23 PM
On the Dan Patrick Show they just said the oddsmakers would have the Chiefs as a 24 point favorite versus Alabama.

Saccopoo
10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
On the Dan Patrick Show they just said the oddsmakers would have the Chiefs as a 24 point favorite versus Alabama.

With Crennel and Daboll coaching?

I'd take Alabama and the points all day long.

WilliamTheIrish
10-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Ah yes, the College All Star Game...

How many careers/knees were wrecked in those games? Anyway, Spurrier is a funny guy.

Amnorix
10-31-2012, 01:38 PM
That's not what used to happen when they had the college kids playing the pros in the place of the pro bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

Granted, the pros eventually got tired of it and started winning more, but there was a hell of a lot more 'playing for pride' back then than there is now. We have pure paycheck players that are some of the biggest stars in our league. You think the 60's era players would've given us the debacle of the 2012 Pro Bowl we witnessed?

Moreover, the College All Star exhibition was done against the league champion, not the shittiest team you could find.

Minor league baseball teams come up and beat the pros during exhibitions with fair frequency.

Don't underestimate the possibility of the pro's coming out flat footed. 'Playing down' is as old as organized sports.

That was way before year-round conditioning etc.

Assuming you gave the NFL players an incentive to play well, and made it a "real" simulation -- i.e. the coaches for both sides will give maximum effort, etc. -- it's going to be a complete blow out.

Simply Red
10-31-2012, 02:12 PM
absolutely no chance - KC would put up over 50 against them, I'd bet a grand on it, srsly.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2012, 02:21 PM
LMAO

Could you imagine JC against a college team?

He would GASH them.

Seriously.

Even the mere notion of a college team beating a pro team is hilarious.

Seriously. The Chiefs would put up 70 vs Alabama.

ROFL

C'mon man!

OctoberFart
10-31-2012, 02:23 PM

Defense is even better:

They couldn't compete with Ken Dorsey at QB. His OL would get destroyed for one and he can't play at a NFL level even if it is as crappy of a team as KC.

Mr. Laz
10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Tamba Hali and Justin Houston would destroy their OT's

chiefs wouldn't to do anything beside turn them loose and sit back and catch interceptions.

Simply Red
10-31-2012, 02:26 PM
LMAO

Could you imagine JC against a college team?

He would GASH them.

Seriously.

Even the mere notion of a college team beating a pro team is hilarious.

Seriously. The Chiefs would put up 70 vs Alabama.

ROFL

C'mon man!

It's a dumb comment - i didn't read all of OP - but surely Spurrier was sensationalizing the AL squad.

OctoberFart

I would give the pts without hesitation. Even as bad as KC is they would absolutely destroy Alabama. The Chiefs worst starter would start on Alabama and maybe the worst 2 team player.

Simply Red
even if it is as crappy of a team as KC.

ROFL

Titty Meat
10-31-2012, 02:43 PM

This.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2012, 02:46 PM

Certainly.

Wouldn't matter, though.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Worst NFL(Hulk) team vs best NCAA team
http://www.edenpop.com/images/parceiros/hulk-smash-loki-Eden-Pop.gif

keg in kc
10-31-2012, 02:53 PM
A pro team would beat Alabama about as badly as Alabama is going to beat whoever they're playing the NC game.

DJ's left nut
10-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Tamba Hali and Justin Houston would destroy their OT's

chiefs wouldn't to do anything beside turn them loose and sit back and catch interceptions.

The Chiefs aren't the worst team in the NFL.

They may have the worst record when all is said and done and ultimately they're certainly the most poorly coached, but the Jags have about 1/2 the talent the Chiefs do.

Pit the Jags against the 2001 Canes and I think the Canes could hang with them.

Al Bundy
10-31-2012, 03:00 PM

Defense is even better:

Even the 1-15 Panthers that year would have won a game against those guys by 30.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Even the 1-15 Panthers that year would have won a game against those guys by 30.

Or the 0-16 Lions.

Titty Meat
10-31-2012, 03:07 PM
The Chiefs aren't the worst team in the NFL.

They may have the worst record when all is said and done and ultimately they're certainly the most poorly coached, but the Jags have about 1/2 the talent the Chiefs do.

Pit the Jags against the 2001 Canes and I think the Canes could hang with them.

That team was great no doubt but their O-line outside of McKinnie wouldn't compete and Ken Dorsey was ass in the NFL. Funny thing is if Ernest Wilford holds onto the ball Miami might not have been playing in the title game.

mikey23545
10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Good grief, what a stupid statement.

I'm sure Spurrier was just exaggerating a bit...

10-31-2012, 04:29 PM
LMAO. No they couldn't.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm surprised 19 have voted yes.

Mr. Laz
10-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Yes, they would blow them out

Bump (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=9708), Chief Roundup (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=359), DMAC (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=6528), Graystoke (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=6495), HuskerPower (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=18001), themule (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=3490), warrior (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/member.php?u=2377)
i understand being upset about the Chiefs stinking up the place but don't go Full Moron.

vailpass
10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm surprised 19 have voted yes.

Me too.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Me too.

Its 21, now.

CoMoChief
10-31-2012, 04:59 PM
It wouldn't be a blowout like people think

this team has major issues at QB.

vailpass
10-31-2012, 05:03 PM

It would be men against boys at every position. They would pound the piss out of their O and D lines. The college skill players would be battered. Their WRs would be bumped and chucked out of their routes.

The college QB would get hammered over and over again and might not make it through the game.
What is the first thing you hear every single rookie say when they get to the NFL?

"I can't believe the speed of the game".

It would be a massacre.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM

Yes. It would be ugly.

Nightfyre
10-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Key point: Steve Spurrier has proven he doesn't know what it takes to win in the NFL. Blowing smoke.

mcaj22
10-31-2012, 06:33 PM
one of the few positive (though sad) comments from the media I finally heard about the Chiefs this season is when Wilbon said on PTI today that the Chiefs would beat Alabama by 21 points easy.

Thanks for the plug of good faith Wilbon

R8RFAN
10-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Any pro team has arguably one of the best 32 playing every position on their team. No college team has that kind of talent or speed.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2012, 07:16 PM
one of the few positive (though sad) comments from the media I finally heard about the Chiefs this season is when Wilbon said on PTI today that the Chiefs would beat Alabama by 21 points easy.

Thanks for the plug of good faith Wilbon

LOL

DeezNutz
10-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah.

NFL pharmaceuticals > college pharmaceuticals.

Alabama wouldn't score a single point, assuming KC's defense actually tried.

mr. tegu
10-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Key point: Steve Spurrier has proven he doesn't know what it takes to win in the NFL. Blowing smoke.

It does seem like he is just pimping the SEC. Makes his conference look better which in turn makes his every season being behind the big boys in the SEC not look so bad. Smart on him really.

hometeam
10-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Vegas line is worst nfl team by 24.

AussieChiefsFan
10-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Don't see it.

Simply Red
11-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Good call bud, because college teams capable of beating a pro team lose to other college teams.

Splendid you dumb hick.

Unsmooth-Moment
11-11-2012, 05:49 AM
Good call bud, because college teams capable of beating a pro team lose to other college teams.

Splendid you dumb hick.

A&M could beat NFL teams too! :hmmm: