PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bill Kuharich

Chiefspants
11-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Well, why not?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/204/205/80870904_crop_650x440.jpg?1313671982

?v=kxopViU98Xo&

teedubya
11-07-2012, 10:52 PM
10 hours of epic sax guy?

BossChief
11-07-2012, 10:52 PM
We can do better.

Hammock Parties
11-07-2012, 10:54 PM
The answer is not in our past.

Titty Meat
11-07-2012, 10:55 PM
The guy who's so great he's been unemployed for nearly 5 years?

Sorter
11-07-2012, 11:04 PM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/156/25156/229532.gif

RealSNR
11-07-2012, 11:35 PM
GL building a scout team and front office after being out of the league so long

tk13
11-07-2012, 11:37 PM
We can do better.

I agree. 11 hours of epic sax guy.

BryanBusby
11-08-2012, 02:02 AM
What? Pretty sure he landed in Detroit and is still there.

DaWolf
11-08-2012, 02:07 AM
What? Pretty sure he landed in Detroit and is still there.

Nope. Sports Consultant.

http://cornerstonesports.com/about-us/bill-kuharich

KC Jones
11-08-2012, 05:40 AM
The answer is not in our past.

I disagree. If you want to emulate the Steelers dynasty (Clark's vision not mine), you build from within. The last thing you do is bring in an arrogant piece of shit like Pioli and let him gut your organization and fill it with yes men. Now that we've gone down that road, at least part of rebuilding would be to reach out to some of those that were part of the organization before Pioli.

dannybcaitlyn
11-08-2012, 05:49 AM
The fans really didn't like him down here when he was with the Saints. So I was kind of pissed when the Chiefs picked him up.

BlackHelicopters
11-08-2012, 07:06 AM
we need to move FORWARD, not look back

rabblerouser
11-09-2012, 03:39 AM
I want Haley back - get him a GM he can work with and throw $5M/y with a public apology from Chunt.

For GM, Russ Ball, Tom Gamble, or Scott McLohan would be great.

But ideally, Reggie MacKenzie - he's the next Ozzie Newsome, imo.

Flame away, but I think Haley could work with those guys. And no matter what happens, this team has done permanent damage to me as a fan...and the only way to completely fix that is to fire Pioli and bring back Haley.

I know I'll get flamed, but in my heart that's how I really feel.

Lex Luthor
12-19-2012, 09:05 AM
I disagree. If you want to emulate the Steelers dynasty (Clark's vision not mine), you build from within. The last thing you do is bring in an arrogant piece of shit like Pioli and let him gut your organization and fill it with yes men. Now that we've gone down that road, at least part of rebuilding would be to reach out to some of those that were part of the organization before Pioli.
I tend to agree. Kuharich is obviously better at running drafts than Pisoli, and Pisoli only fired him because he wasn't part of the Patriot way.

Interesting article from 2009:

Underappreciated Kuharich deserved better from Chiefs

By Clark Judge | CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Jan. 13, 2009

Memo to Scott Pioli: Keep Bill Kuharich.

Kuharich is Kansas City's vice president of player personnel, and to say he just got a raw deal is an understatement. Kuharich deserved to be part of the Chiefs' hunt for a general manager, but he wasn't ... and he wasn't because the Chiefs confined their search to applicants outside the club.

So they landed the Patriots' Pioli, and hooray for them.

With his proven track record, Bill Kuharich should be allowed to see his latest rebuilding project through. Now my question is: Where does that leave Kuharich? I suspect only Pioli knows.

If he does what is best for him and his new employer keeps him, he trusts him and he relies on him. Kuharich not only is good at his job; he is so good he deserved to be a candidate for the position Pioli just filled.

But he wasn't, and I'm still not sure why.

Maybe the Chiefs considered him too old. He's 55. Maybe they wanted someone more telegenic. Kuharich is more at home in a sweater and khakis. Or maybe they just wanted a perspective from someone outside the organization, someone more removed from former president Carl Peterson.

"He was collateral damage," one NFC general manager said. "The Chiefs didn't want to go anywhere near someone close to Carl. And that's unfortunate because Kuharich is outstanding."

Well, whatever the reason it was apparent Kuharich didn't pass the physical and that owner Clark Hunt would be sold on someone outside the 816 area code. And that's OK if Hunt also understood that by doing that he eliminated one of his most qualified candidates.

"I want somebody who's a shrewd evaluator of football talent," Hunt said last month. "(His) job will be to think 24/7 about the football team. That's the most important quality."

Pardon me, but I think he just described Kuharich.

Look, I don't know if he could have outpolled Pioli. I don't know that anyone could. But I do know he deserved a chance to make his case because, like Pioli, he knew how to build a football team. He did it when he was general manager with the Saints, and he has done in his nine years with the Chiefs.

Let's start with New Orleans. I know what you're going to tell me: The Saints didn't rebound from their 1990s funk until Kuharich left, and you're right. But this just in: They got good with Kuharich's players.

The foundation of the team that went to the 2000 playoffs was laid by Kuharich, and don't tell me how foolish it was for the Saints to trade away an entire draft class for Ricky Williams.

First, that was an organizational decision, with the owner signing off on it. Second, of the draft picks they sacrificed, only one -- tackle Chris Samuels -- amounted to anything. Third, Williams became a marquee player for the Saints, rushing for 179 yards in a game as a rookie and 1,000 or more yards in two of his three seasons there.

So, yeah, that move worked out. Like other drafts in New Orleans worked out, with four first-rounders under Kuharich going on to Pro Bowls.

When he left after the 1999 season, the Saints were stocked with talent -- much as Tampa Bay was when Tony Dungy departed following the 2002 season. The Saints went from dead last (3-13) in their division in 1999 to first (10-6) a year later, a remarkable achievement that earned Kuharich's successor, Randy Mueller, the league's Executive of the Year.

But the Saints won with many of the players Kuharich chose, which means he was as much Executive of the Year as Mueller.

And let's not forget, it was Kuharich who brought free agent Jake Delhomme to the Saints in 1997. I once remember him telling me he thought the guy was good enough to start for the club. Only he never really had a chance. So he shuffled off to Carolina after Kuharich left ... and took the Panthers to the Super Bowl.

Score another for Kuharich.

Now fast forward to Kansas City. It was Kuharich who ran the pro personnel department that acquired starters like running back Priest Holmes, quarterback Trent Green and wide receiver Eddie Kennison and that swung the deal for tackle Willie Roaf.

It was Kuharich who ran the past three drafts that delivered a raft of starters, including Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe, Bernard Pollard, Jarrad Page, Glenn Dorsey, Brandon Flowers and Branden Albert. And it was Kuharich who oversaw a 2008 draft that was universally acclaimed as one of the best anywhere.

Four draft picks became starters, and all but one of the 11 choices played.

Then there was quarterback Tyler Thigpen, whom Kuharich recommended after watching him in a preseason game with Minnesota. The Chiefs claimed him after he was waived, and he started 11 games this season.

So the Chiefs went 2-14. Big deal. This is a tear-down long overdue. They served youth, with so many young players gaining experience that the foundation Kansas City needs to rebuild is firmly established.

Too bad the guy who made it happen isn't.

I don't know what happens to Kuharich now, and I bet he doesn't know, either. Essentially, management has just told him he's gone as far as he can in the organization, and that if he wants a promotion he can start by reaching for the yellow pages.

That's a mistake.

He has the Chiefs on the road to recovery; it just might be time to find the next patient to cure. Maybe he never becomes a general manager anywhere again, but he should at least go where he's appreciated -- and I can't believe that can't be Kansas City.

"What I've always liked about him," one league source said, "is that he knows what a football player looks like. He doesn't need a stopwatch or a list of measureables. He can just look at a guy and tell."

I remember when Kuharich once told me about an offensive lineman he admired and how he was sure he would be a perfect fit for New Orleans. Yeah, I said, I had heard of Willie Roaf, but I wasn't sure he was a can't-miss prospect. Kuharich was.

Bill Kuharich knew what he was doing then, just as he knows what he's doing now. He deserves a chance to stay with the Chiefs. So give it to him, Scott Pioli.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11256515/2

Dave Lane
12-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Not my choice but not the worst choice out there.

Dave Lane
12-19-2012, 09:12 AM
I want Haley back - get him a GM he can work with and throw $5M/y with a public apology from Chunt.

Flame away, but I think Haley could work with those guys. And no matter what happens, this team has done permanent damage to me as a fan...and the only way to completely fix that is to fire Pioli and bring back Haley.

Sadly we can't go back to the past a coach, like Haley is exactly what this team needs with a GM he could work with.

htismaqe
12-19-2012, 09:15 AM
One of the guests on 810 yesterday mentioned Kuharich.

Buehler445
12-19-2012, 09:16 AM
One of the guests on 810 yesterday mentioned Kuharich.

A caller or an analyst?

htismaqe
12-19-2012, 09:19 AM
A caller or an analyst?

Analyst. Can't remember who it was though, I listen to it all day while I'm working.

nychief
12-19-2012, 09:21 AM
This doesn't move the needle for me.

Chiefnj2
12-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Meanwhile Romeo is still a head coach. Just because someone fell out of the good ole boy network, or someone is in it, doesn't mean much.

Buehler445
12-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Analyst. Can't remember who it was though, I listen to it all day while I'm working.

No problem. Any analyst bears more credence than a caller. At least it's out there.

htismaqe
12-19-2012, 09:28 AM
This doesn't move the needle for me.

Same here.

rabblerouser
12-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Meanwhile Romeo is still a head coach. Just because someone fell out of the good ole boy network, or someone is in it, doesn't mean much.

^THIS

The Parcells/Belichick GOBN is the one still most fashionable.

Titty Meat
12-19-2012, 09:40 AM

You're reaching.

Hammock Parties
12-19-2012, 09:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/QnUhV.jpg

Chiefnj2
12-19-2012, 09:52 AM
You're reaching.

Gunther Cunningham.

Titty Meat
12-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Gunther Cunningham.

Was an established coordinator same with crennel. Those guys tend to get chances as head coaches. Again you're reaching.

Chiefnj2
12-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Was an established coordinator same with crennel. Those guys tend to get chances as head coaches. Again you're reaching.

I'm not reaching. The NFL is full of coaches who keep getting recycled even though they are ineffective.

Saccopoo
12-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Can we get out of this endless cycle of hiring all these broke dick fucking NFL retreads from the past 30 years?

These guys are fired/available for hiring for a reason. They are too fucking old, too set in the past and don't have shit to bring to the table in terms of advancing the state of football to the point of modernization.

Let's bring in some new blood. I am totally sick of these fucking broke dick halfwits.

GM: Marc Ross
- Current Director of College Scouting for the NY Giants. 39, smart as hell and has proven he's got an eye for talent.

HC: Brian Kelly
- Current HC at Notre Dame who's done wonders with both the Golden Domers and Cincy.

OC: Bobby Petrino, former Arkansas HC
- While I wouldn't want Bobby anywhere near a HC job, the guy can call a kick ass offense than wins and pushes the ball up and down the field.

DC: Dick Bumpus, TCU
- One of the most innovative and successful people on the defensive side of the ball at any level.

There you go. Wasn't that easy?

milkman
12-19-2012, 10:13 AM
I am probably in the minority here, but I would definitely be on board if Kuharich were looked at.

I think he was under appreciated for the job he did here.

My only real concern in retaining and promting him back in'09 was that he'd keep Herman fucking Edwards on as HC.

But I liked hm a hell of a lot more even then than Pioli.

KurtCobain
12-19-2012, 10:13 AM
No to a college staff.

milkman
12-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Can we get out of this endless cycle of hiring all these broke dick ****ing NFL retreads from the past 30 years?

These guys are fired/available for hiring for a reason. They are too ****ing old, too set in the past and don't have shit to bring to the table in terms of advancing the state of football to the point of modernization.

Let's bring in some new blood. I am totally sick of these ****ing broke dick halfwits.

- Current Director of College Scouting for the NY Giants. 39, smart as hell and has proven he's got an eye for talent.

- Current HC at Notre Dame who's done wonders with both the Golden Domers and Cincy.

- While I wouldn't want Bobby anywhere near a HC job, the guy can call a kick ass offense than wins and pushes the ball up and down the field.

- One of the most innovative and successful people on the defensive side of the ball at any level.

I've been on the Ross for GM bandwagon for a while.

I don't think there's a chance in hell that Brian Kelley leaves ND.

I'd take David Shaw as an option, and a guy that really intrigues me that no one talks about is Marc Trestman.

KurtCobain
12-19-2012, 10:18 AM

This. He has a chance to build a dynasty and be a legend there.

Lex Luthor
12-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I just HOPE the debate is Kuharich versus Ross versus Polian, and NOT why the hell didn't Clark fire Pioli.

Saccopoo
12-19-2012, 10:23 AM
No to a college staff.

Stunning. Thanks for the detailed and comphrensive response.

Saccopoo
12-19-2012, 10:24 AM
This. He has a chance to build a dynasty and be a legend there.

He has a chance to build a dynasty and be a legend here.

Your point?

Lex Luthor
12-19-2012, 10:25 AM
That would be just fine with me.

Complete agree. Notre Dame is his dream job. There's no way he leaves it.

I'd take David Shaw as an option,

Hadn't really considered him, but if he learned anything from Harbaugh, I could live with that.

and a guy that really intrigues me that no one talks about is Marc Trestman.
Hadn't really considered him either, but if he's anything like Marv Levy, I could live with that too.

Saccopoo
12-19-2012, 10:28 AM

I'd take David Shaw as an option, and a guy that really intrigues me that no one talks about is Marc Trestman.

Trestman is the coaching equivilent of Warren Moon.

Actually, the guy wouldn't be a bad choice at all. He's been a pretty good/really good OC from what I remember and he's showing he can be a good coach up in Canada.

I wouldn't mind Trestman one single bit, especially with a new QB such as Geno Smith.

Lex Luthor
12-19-2012, 10:29 AM
He has a chance to build a dynasty and be a legend here.

Your point?
Brian Kelly has wanted to coach at Notre Dame his entire life.

He's already well on his way to being a legend there. Do you really think he has a realistic chance of building a dynasty with the Chiefs?

Really?

Titty Meat
12-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Kelly is a good coach but let's not act like winning at Notre Dame is hard to do. I havent really seen anything that screams "NFL" with Brian Kelly and he has no NFL background.

Shaw would be a great hire. He coached Andrew Luck and Stanford has actually gotten a bit better since Harbaugh left. Shaw also runs a pro style offense. I would love to hire Shaw but it will be hard to get him from his alma mater.

Saccopoo
12-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Brian Kelly has wanted to coach at Notre Dame his entire life.

He's already well on his way to being a legend there. Do you really think he has a realistic chance of building a dynasty with the Chiefs?

Really?

I wouldn't know that. I've never spoke to the guy and it's not like he's an alumni or anything.

And as bad as Notre Dame was record wise under Charlie Weis, it's not like he stepped into a perfect transition at Notre Dame. And I think he did an excellent job at Cincinnati.

And let's face facts - nobody knew this guy before this past year. One good year at Notre Dame and now he's "the dynasty?"

Rausch
12-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Kelly is a good coach but let's not act like winning at Notre Dame is hard to do.

:spock:

Saccopoo
12-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Kelly is a good coach but let's not act like winning at Notre Dame is hard to do. I havent really seen anything that screams "NFL" with Brian Kelly and he has no NFL background.

Shaw would be a great hire. He coached Andrew Luck and Stanford has actually gotten a bit better since Harbaugh left. Shaw also runs a pro style offense. I would love to hire Shaw but it will be hard to get him from his alma mater.

See? That makes more sense than the Kelly argument.

And even though Kelly doesn't have NFL experience, I don't think that's a negative. The guy can coach football. And the NFL is simply littered with fucking halfwit retreads that get jobs just because "they've worked in the NFL before" - your exact reasoning why Kelly shouldn't be hired.

Guys like Crennel and Daboll can continue to get high level coaching jobs in the NFL simply because GM's and owners are terrified of going outside the system and can't imagine innovation and modernization. Because most of the owners are old, crusty fuckers who've lived the past 30 years in the NFL. I mean, because of the logic you've given, Brian Daboll continues to have a job in the NFL. That's some seriously fucked up, dipshit, closeminded logic.

nychief
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Can we get out of this endless cycle of hiring all these broke dick ****ing NFL retreads from the past 30 years?

These guys are fired/available for hiring for a reason. They are too ****ing old, too set in the past and don't have shit to bring to the table in terms of advancing the state of football to the point of modernization.

Let's bring in some new blood. I am totally sick of these ****ing broke dick halfwits.

Ross is the only suggestion here that makes any sense. Kelly isn't going anywhere, Petrino is blackballed in the NFL for quitting on the Falcons and just took the W. KY job, Bumpus? Sure he is a good college defensive mind... but, come on.

milkman
12-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Ross is the only suggestion here that makes any sense. Kelly isn't going anywhere, Petrino is blackballed in the NFL for quitting on the Falcons and just took the W. KY job, Bumpus? Sure he is a good college defensive mind... but, come on.

This is exactly what Sac is talking about in his last post.

People are so caught up in doing things the same way that they've always been done that they can't see what is right in front of them.

With son many NFL teams incorporating so many of the spread and option concepts into their system, a successful college DC is a guy that just might bring the fresh defensive system that most successfully defends these new concepts.

Chief Roundup
12-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Ross' draft record is not very good.

Dante84
12-19-2012, 10:45 AM
And let's face facts - nobody knew this guy before this past year. One good year at Notre Dame and now he's "the dynasty?"

You mean the guy who took a formerly shitty Cincy team to the Orange Bowl in 2009 and an undefeated Cincy team to the Sugar Bowl in 2010?

Nah, no one watches BCS Bowl games. Never heard of him.

DaWolf
12-19-2012, 10:46 AM
No. If Kuharich was any good, don't you think he'd have an NFL job right now? He's been out of the NFL since 2009. Something doesn't smell right there...

Groves
12-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Sadly we can't go back to the past a coach, like Haley is exactly what this team needs with a GM he could work with.

We did it with Gunther.

Oh, I see what you mean.

(Still think Todd will be good somewhere)

Titty Meat
12-19-2012, 10:48 AM

Charlie Weis won or at least went to a few bcs games at Notre Dame. They have more money than just about every university, top 10 recruiting classes, and an independent schedule. Yes winning at Notre Dame isn't hard to do.

Titty Meat
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
See? That makes more sense than the Kelly argument.

And even though Kelly doesn't have NFL experience, I don't think that's a negative. The guy can coach football. And the NFL is simply littered with fucking halfwit retreads that get jobs just because "they've worked in the NFL before" - your exact reasoning why Kelly shouldn't be hired.

Guys like Crennel and Daboll can continue to get high level coaching jobs in the NFL simply because GM's and owners are terrified of going outside the system and can't imagine innovation and modernization. Because most of the owners are old, crusty fuckers who've lived the past 30 years in the NFL. I mean, because of the logic you've given, Brian Daboll continues to have a job in the NFL. That's some seriously fucked up, dipshit, closeminded logic.

Oh I agree with the part of your take about retreads.

If I'm going the new HC route I'm going with a guy like Mike McCoy who's had success with Quarterbacks and is a disciplinarian. I think him and Ross could be a great pairing.

Saccopoo
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
You mean the guy who took a formerly shitty Cincy team to the Orange Bowl in 2009 and an undefeated Cincy team to the Sugar Bowl in 2010?

Nah, no one watches BCS Bowl games. Never heard of him.

I've already stated that it was his work with Cincinnati that put me in the "Brian Kelly as a potential Chiefs HC" camp.

I'm saying that most people (and by "most people" I mean most people - the same people who think that Geno Smith is a running quarterback who should be passed over for a OT from a spread system - which, I would argue, is a more difficult transition to make position wise than a QB from a spread type system) probably don't know that he was even the coach at Cincy.

bevischief
12-19-2012, 12:37 PM

I can live with Marc Trestman.

seaofred
12-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm scared that Ross is Pioli 2.0. Look at the similaries. Would we even know who Ross was if it wasn't for Coughlin and Manning? Just like Pioli wouldn't be anything without Billichick and Brady.

Rausch
12-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Would we even know who Ross was if it wasn't for Coughlin and Manning?

DaneMcCloud
12-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Russ Ball is 57 years old and has never been a General Manager.

Reggie McKenzie is the GM of the Raiders.

And Todd Haley fucking sucked as a head coach and even with a talented QB and skill position players in Pittsburgh, has been less than impressive.

DaneMcCloud
12-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Can we get out of this endless cycle of hiring all these broke dick fucking NFL retreads from the past 30 years?

These guys are fired/available for hiring for a reason. They are too fucking old, too set in the past and don't have shit to bring to the table in terms of advancing the state of football to the point of modernization.

Let's bring in some new blood. I am totally sick of these fucking broke dick halfwits.

LMAO

BigMeatballDave
12-19-2012, 01:16 PM

There you go. Wasn't that easy?Petrino was hired as HC at W. Kentucky.

RUSH
12-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Ross' draft record is not very good.

Huh?

Off the top of my head since he's been there...

Bradshaw
Nicks
Cruz udfa
Joseph
Manningham
Boss
Williams
JPP
Webster
Phillips
Beatty
Terrell Thomas - stud before injuries. Helped win super bowl
Steve Smith - stud before injuries. Helped win super bowl.

Wilson and Randle are looking good from this years class.

Andre Brown and Barden both contributed this year as well when injuries hit.

Dunno what the hell you are talking about.

CoMoChief
12-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Chip Kelly