PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: ten NFL truths (KC is mentioned)

chop
11-08-2012, 08:57 AM
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-nfl/20121108/Whitlock-NFLTruths-Week9/

If it has already been posted then let it go.

Dear Jason:
Now that the election is over, I can finally admit I screwed up in the first debate because I spent most of my preparation time reading your football columns. Michelle prints them out and saves them for me.
Regards, BO
Here are your week 10 NFL Truths:
10. Matt Ryan and the Falcons are not frauds. Matt Ryan belongs in the MVP race. But Matt Ryan is the reason I don’t believe the Falcons will reach the Super Bowl.
For my money, there’s something missing with Matt Ryan. I can’t put my finger on it exactly. I just know when I watch him, I don’t believe I’m watching a Super Bowl quarterback. He’s not overrated. He’s just not as good as he should be.
Think about it. No QB has a better supporting cast. Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez are the best receiving trio in the league. Hell, they might form the best receiving trio in league history. Gonzalez is going to the Hall of Fame. Jones has Hall of Fame talent. White is on pace to finish with Hall of Fame numbers.
Atlanta also has a dangerous running game led by Michael Turner.
Matt Ryan is blessed with every weapon imaginable. Plus, he gets to play half his games inside a dome. He has the necessary tools to challenge Tom Brady’s 50-TD, 8-INT season. Yet Ryan is on pace for 34 TDs and 12 INTs. He’s averaging just 7.9 yards per pass attempt.
There’s something missing. This is not a rip job. Ryan has been terrific in the clutch. I’d name him MVP of the league right now. But it’s my belief he’ll get beat in the playoffs -- thanks to a critical INT or two -- by one of the thoroughbred NFC QBs (Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning) or the 49ers.
9. Can we please fix the NFL’s pass-interference rules? Please!
This is my annual plea for the league to address the biggest problem in professional football. Pass interference is the most difficult judgment call in all of sports. Receivers are sprinting full speed down the field and middle-age men are chasing after them trying to determine if illegal contact stopped the receiver from catching the ball.
It’s a guessing game and too many refs are guessing wrong. We need to help them by making pass interference subject to replay. And we need to help by having flagrant and non-flagrant pass-interference calls. Flagrant would be a spot-of-the-foul penalty. Non-flagrant would be a 10-yard penalty.
8. My sleeper pick for MVP is Big Ben Roethlisberger. On Sunday, Roethlisberger beat the Giants and the worst officiating crew since Green Bay-Seattle.
Big Ben is my favorite NFL player. He’s the modern-day John Elway. Roethlisberger is never going to put up Peyton Manning-like stats. But Roethlisberger is a winner. His willingness and ability to hang in the pocket, move around in the pocket and deliver the ball downfield is unmatched.
Pittsburgh’s more conservative, dink-and-dunk offense has Big Ben on pace for the best season of his illustrious career. He’s completing 67 percent of his passes and has thrown just four interceptions.
There are a lot of good candidates for MVP – Peyton Manning, JJ Watt, Matt Ryan. Let’s add Big Ben to the list of contenders. In my opinion, he’s leading the best team in football.
7. I’ve always believed Mike Shanahan got too much credit for riding John Elway’s coattails to two Super Bowl victories. Shanahan has never been one of my favorite coaches. But he needs another year with Robert Griffin.
It’s too early to give up on Shanahan, even though he’s ready to give up on the Redskins. Frustration and embarrassment made Shanahan announce he was ready to start evaluating the 2012 Redskins based on how they fit into the 2013 season.
Shanahan’s record in Washington is 14-27. That’s not good. What’s worse is his employment of his son as offensive coordinator. There are reasons to sour on Shanahan. However, a coaching change and new system could stunt RG3’s development. 'Skins fans should be patient and give Shanahan one more season.
6. Two AFC West teams -- San Diego and Kansas City -- will likely try to land Andy Reid once he’s fired.
Make no mistake, Reid deserves to be fired in Philadelphia. The juvenile decision to fire defensive coordinator Juan Castillo and promote Todd Bowles is a fireable offense. But what should really get Reid fired is his insistence on being a pass-first team with a makeshift offensive line and an undersized quarterback. With LeSean McCoy and rookie Bryce Brown, the Eagles should be a run-first, play-action-pass offense.
Reid has a great reputation among football media. He won a lot of regular-season games and a few playoff games during the Donovan McNabb era. Reid will be an attractive coaching candidate when he’s dumped in Philly.
Coaching changes in KC and San Diego seem inevitable at this point. Both organizations believe they have playoff talent and will want an experienced coach who can win right now.
5. Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli whined during a one-on-one interview with KC sports anchor and Hall of Fame QB Len Dawson that expectations in Kansas City were too high.
Yes, Chiefs fans were delusional for thinking that in Year 4 of Pioli’s rebuilding plan that the Chiefs would hold a lead in the first half of the season. Expectations were just too high!
Eight games in and the Chiefs have yet to lead a game in regulation play. They beat the Saints in overtime.
Pioli has hired two head coaches in KC -- Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel. Haley was in over his head trying to serve as head coach and offensive coordinator. This week, Crennel finally acknowledged he was in over his head trying to serve as head coach and defensive coordinator.
It will be interesting to see if owner Clark Hunt allows Pioli a third strike.
4. My money is on Sean Payton leaving the Saints for the Cowboys for $10 million a year.
I think the Cowboys have better personnel than the Saints. New Orleans’ god-awful season is about more than Payton’s absence. Payton is an offensive guru. He can’t fix the Saints' defense.
Jerry Jones has that brand-new stadium to fill. Paying Payton $10 million to fill it is a bargain. Payton will help Tony Romo reach his potential. Payton is a cult figure in New Orleans. It will be tough to leave. But he brought the city a Super Bowl. He’s already repaid New Orleans for its loyalty.
3. I’ve never been offended by good-natured food jokes, so I wasn’t remotely upset by Terry Bradshaw’s “chasing chicken” quip as he talked over a Reggie Bush highlight.
Bradshaw says his comment was directed at colleague Jimmy Johnson, who likes to eat fried chicken on Sundays before NFL games. I accept Bradshaw’s explanation. But I also don’t really care who the comment was directed at. There was no malicious intent. This wasn’t Fuzzy Zoeller trying to demean Tiger Woods’ victory at the Masters. This wasn’t Howard Cosell screaming look at the “little monkey” run. Bradshaw was trying to be funny and said something stupid and harmless. It’s just not a big deal.
I don’t get the whole food thing. Just about everyone I know -- regardless of color -- loves chicken, especially fried chicken. Hell, baked chicken is pretty healthy. I try to eat it three or four times a week.
OK, I’m a foodie. But I’ll never understand the hurt feelings about food jokes.
2. I absolutely loved the way Les Miles coached his football team on Saturday.
The Mad Hatter is often criticized for taking too many chances and coaching foolishly. Last week, he tried several high-risk plays in an attempt to upset No. 1 Alabama. None of Miles’ trick plays or gambles paid off. Alabama came from behind and won in the closing minute.
So what? It was an instant classic. Miles’ throw-the-kitchen-sink coaching style inspired his team to stand toe-to-toe with the best college team in the country. That’s the right way to lose to Nick Saban and Alabama.
1. As of right now, the Colts and the Broncos both made the right decisions this offseason.
Andrew Luck has the Colts at 5-3. Peyton Manning has the Broncos at 5-3. Colts owner Jim Irsay and Denver president John Elway both made the right decisions for their franchises.
Maybe we will be saying the same thing about the Rockets and the Thunder by the midpoint of the NBA season?
Courtesy of FOXSports.com (http://foxsports.com/)

loochy
11-08-2012, 09:02 AM
F pioli

Woodchuck
11-08-2012, 09:05 AM
I really want him to get fired but, I can't see it happening. He might resign at the end of the year but, I doubt it. My guy tells me he is here for a while.

Rasputin
11-08-2012, 09:08 AM
I do not want Andy Reid, however if we pick Geno Smith I may reconsider that thought. Not a fan of Andy Reid.

WhiteWhale
11-08-2012, 09:21 AM
KC fans expectations were too high?

Did he seriously say that? We're the worst team in the NFL... If Pioli thinks expecting more than that is too much, he's in the wrong profession.

KC_Lee
11-08-2012, 09:23 AM
It's just too much for the fans to expect a team to lead at some point in a game?!? F this front office and coaching staff.

HemiEd
11-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Third strike? Fuck, he is on his third strike after two outs.

BlackHelicopters
11-08-2012, 09:54 AM
High expectations? Let's start with a lead, we will get to "expectations" later. Scott, rot in hell.

TEX
11-08-2012, 10:03 AM
"Yes, Chiefs fans were delusional for thinking that in Year 4 of Pioli’s rebuilding plan that the Chiefs would hold a lead in the first half of the season. Expectations were just too high!"

:clap: ROFL Preach it Jason!

Year 4 of Pioli...ROFL

gblowfish
11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
After reading that, all I can say is "I Want CHICKEN!"

ncCHIEFfan
11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Wow! He is not even showing a small token of promise for this team!

vailpass
11-08-2012, 10:12 AM
KC should go after Tebow and hire the guy that hacked Tebow's gmail account...

okoye35chiefs
11-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Pioli and Dimitroff (gm of the falcons) took almost identical paths. Both took over about 4 years ago for their respective teams.

Although the Falcons are 0-3 in the Playoffs Dimitroff has built and brought in a ton of talent to help that team.

The more I read "war room" (a book about Bellycheat and how they built the dynasty. Includes alot about Pilio and Dimitroff) the more I think the guy has totally lost the skill he once had.

After Haley blows us out maybe that will be the cutting point like many are thinking! Tuesday could be the first day of our new re-build.

King_Chief_Fan
11-08-2012, 11:10 AM
help me understand how a guy in full fail in philly can come to KC and make a difference

blaise
11-08-2012, 11:47 AM
help me understand how a guy in full fail in philly can come to KC and make a difference

If Philly is full fail then what are the Chiefs?

TEX
11-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Pioli fail. It's worse.

Chief3188
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM

A new level of fail that all future failures from here on out will be judged against.

alpha_omega
11-08-2012, 12:19 PM
KC fans expectations were too high?

Did he seriously say that? We're the worst team in the NFL... If Pioli thinks expecting more than that is too much, he's in the wrong profession.

That was my first thought as well. We expected them to have a lead in a game at some point...sounds quite reasonable to me.

BigCatDaddy
11-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Couldn't the same have been said about John Fox last year?

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2012, 12:50 PM
I do not want Andy Reid, however if we pick Geno Smith I may reconsider that thought. Not a fan of Andy Reid.

Barkley would be a better fit for Reid's offense

Rausch
11-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Barkley would be a better fit for Reid's offense

He's a WC guy and always wants that pocket passer that can scramble...

listopencil
11-08-2012, 01:06 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_vNk_j3Z18A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beach tribe
11-08-2012, 01:07 PM
So I missed the interview with Lenny.
Did Lenny hit him at all with the good stuff or no?

Rausch
11-08-2012, 01:09 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_vNk_j3Z18A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

listopencil
11-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Those situations were very different.

Rausch
11-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Those situations were very different.

Yeah.

Fox's QB produced...

beach tribe
11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah.

Fox's QB produced...

Gonna say "yeah Fox has Manning"

Seriously. Otherwise it would just be more fail.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Third strike? Fuck, he is on his third strike after two outs.

I thought the "baters" struck him out a billion teams years ago?

listopencil
11-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Gonna say "yeah Fox has Manning"

Seriously. Otherwise it would just be more fail.

Fox had us limping into the playoffs and winning a game with Tebow at QB. Every other team in this division would love to have that kind of "fail" right now.

listopencil
11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah.

Fox's QB produced...

He had a record of pretty good Defenses and got them to the Superbowl. Fox is a good coach who focuses on the fundamentals. I like him.

Rausch
11-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Fox had us limping into the playoffs and winning a game with Tebow at QB. Every other team in this division would love to have that kind of "fail" right now.

Last year the Chiefs were only one game behind you.

If they would have won one more game they would have won the division.

This year they are, by far, the worst team in the NFL...

Deberg_1990
11-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Not sure about last year....but the Carolina Jon Fox yes. Hes one of the reasons they ended up with Cam Newton.

Easy 6
11-08-2012, 01:34 PM

The chat at the bottom is HILARIOUS "me too! and then it never is!" :LOL:

notorious
11-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Jason's doing a great job. We need to keep up the pressure until this pile of shit is flushed.

listopencil
11-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Last year the Chiefs were only one game behind you.

If they would have won one more game they would have won the division.

This year they are, by far, the worst team in the NFL...

Yup. It was that close. Mostly because of our Defense.

Rausch
11-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Yup. It was that close. Mostly because of our Defense.

With an addition in talent and very few losses why then would you say we have become the NFL doormat?

Keep in mind that the year before we were 3 pts from KC facing Pitt instead of Denver...

Easy 6
11-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Reid needs to take a year or two off, if he doesnt exhibit the signs of burnout, i dont know who does.

Theres just been way too much drama swirling around him for way too long now.

He needs to go be a husband and father for a while.

Rausch
11-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Reid needs to take a year or two off, if he doesnt exhibit the signs of burnout, i dont know who does.

I like and respect the man.

That said he does need a break. He's had so much happen to him in such a short period of time (3 years) he should take 2 or 3 years off.

I don't care who you are there's only so much $#it you can take before the weight of it all pulls you down and you fall screaming mad...

Easy 6
11-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I like and respect the man.

That said he does need a break. He's had so much happen to him in such a short period of time (3 years) he should take 2 or 3 years off.

I don't care who you are there's only so much $#it you can take before the weight of it all pulls you down and you fall screaming mad...

Yep.

We dont need some basket case at this critical crossroads.

vailpass
11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
The chat at the bottom is HILARIOUS "me too! and then it never is!" :LOL:

Yes. Glad someone else saw that.

whoman69
11-08-2012, 04:15 PM
This was a pretty good article. I'm glad Whitlock is keeping the pressure on Pioli.

CLX
11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
I didn't know anyone still paid attention to whitlock. He is a waste of fresh air.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm not a fan of Reid, which is why that's exactly what the Chiefs are going to do.

In all seriousness, Andy Reid will coach the Browns.

KCTitus
11-08-2012, 07:03 PM
5. Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli whined during a one-on-one interview with KC sports anchor and Hall of Fame QB Len Dawson that expectations in Kansas City were too high.
Yes, Chiefs fans were delusional for thinking that in Year 4 of Pioli’s rebuilding plan that the Chiefs would hold a lead in the first half of the season. Expectations were just too high!
Eight games in and the Chiefs have yet to lead a game in regulation play. They beat the Saints in overtime.
Pioli has hired two head coaches in KC -- Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel. Haley was in over his head trying to serve as head coach and offensive coordinator. This week, Crennel finally acknowledged he was in over his head trying to serve as head coach and defensive coordinator.
It will be interesting to see if owner Clark Hunt allows Pioli a third strike.

LOL...expectations too high...well, at least I dont get to hear about Year 'X' of Carl's five year plan. While that was hilarious, it got old about year 15.

I really like Jason's whining about KC's GM's...so far in his fandom of KC, they're 0 for 2. Maybe the next one Jason wants will be the magic formula since his first pick, Pioli, hasnt worked out so well.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I want Reid.

Consistent winning head coaches + the right QB = SB

The Hunts would love him because he's always had a squeaky clean image.

And he knows offense.

And he isn't a dick.

And Walrus jokes.

L.A. Chieffan
11-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Did the interview get aired?

Hammock Parties
Not until before MNF.

chiefzilla1501
I want Reid.

Consistent winning head coaches + the right QB = SB

The Hunts would love him because he's always had a squeaky clean image.

And he knows offense.

And he isn't a dick.

And Walrus jokes.

He's Marty Schottenheimer. We'd have one hell of a well coached team who ended up disappointing us when it mattered most. Frankly, I think Andy Reid gets a shitload of credit for the job Jim Johnson did. The Eagles' success was based on defense and the defense isn't the consistently dominant group it was under Johnson.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2012, 07:20 PM
The Eagles have had a top 10 offense 8 of Reid's seasons in Philly, and top 12 in 10 of his seasons.

Last time they went to a SB they were #8.

He knows his shit, knows the importance of the passing game, and knows the important of QB.

Deberg_1990
11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Frankly I think Reid needs to step away from the game for a few years. He let the game become more important than his family.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
11-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Look at their offensive skill positions in the drafts the last few years.

Maclin
McCoy
Jackson
Celek

That came from 3 consecutive drafts. That's a haul.

Reid would do magic with Jamaal Charles and Dwayne Bowe.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Frankly I think Reid needs to step away from the game for a few years. He let the game become more important than his family.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like the kind of football-obsessed asshole we need.

KChiefer
11-08-2012, 07:31 PM
I don't suppose Pioli thinks his salary is "too high" for fielding the worst team since 1940.

Chief Roundup
11-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Frankly, I think Andy Reid gets a shitload of credit for the job Jim Johnson did. The Eagles' success was based on defense and the defense isn't the consistently dominant group it was under Johnson.

I don't know man. They always had a pretty good offense with McNabb and Westbrook but that offense got scary when they got TO.

GloryDayz
11-08-2012, 07:49 PM

That's awesome!!! That's just awesome!!! Chunt approves!

Baby Lee
11-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Mad TV had Lowered Expectations as a regular bit for years.

Google Lowered Expectations Mad TV.

DonkyPuncher
11-08-2012, 09:19 PM

Wouldn't surprise me, Tebow will be the big time competition Pioli brings in for Cassel next season ROFL

Chiefless
11-08-2012, 09:39 PM

full retard?

listopencil
11-08-2012, 09:58 PM
With an addition in talent and very few losses why then would you say we have become the NFL doormat?

Keep in mind that the year before we were 3 pts from KC facing Pitt instead of Denver...

I think Crennel lost the team.

listopencil
11-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Mad TV had Lowered Expectations as a regular bit for years.

Google Lowered Expectations Mad TV.

Yeah, I was looking for one of the SNL bits on YouTube and this popped up. It was pretty generic so I grabbed it.

listopencil
11-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I didn't know anyone still paid attention to whitlock. He is a waste of fresh air.

He's a pretty funny guy. And I think he's a real Chiefs fan. At least that's how he comes across to me.

CLX
11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
He's a pretty funny guy. And I think he's a real Chiefs fan. At least that's how he comes across to me.

I think he is a hack. I know a few years ago he had a friend that tried out for the team and the guy didn't make it. After that for a while he was in full beatdown mode.

I think he knows football but also thinks he knows more than everyone else, none of us fit that mold.